• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

No. Percival used to go out dressed like that.
As in the ancient Knight of Camelot? Or somebody else? It's been a while since I watched the show.
It wasn't a serious suggestion.
Alright then.
In case anyone was wondering, she's the corpse of a panther being controlled by a brain slug.
As I recall she's actually alive and forced to cooperate with them.
They're between episodes 9 and 10. The other banshee aren't trying kill Sh'lainn any longer and Nick hasn't met El Chupacabra.
Wonder what Paul's going to change.

As in the ancient Knight of Camelot? Or somebody else? It's been a while since I watched the show.

Percival is the name of the Maltusian Leprechaun.

Based on a character from DC's comics, although Zoat's version is rather different. Not a complaint, just a clarification.

Comics Percy wasn't immortal, didn't know how to use psychic powers or the Glow, and didn't have advanced technology. He sees being a GL not as being a space cop but a magic knight, and probably sees talk of psychokinetic energy or the emotional electromagnetic spectrum as fancy talk for wizardry.

The Green Knight outfit is probably based loosely on this
percival_super.jpg

Percy in the comics is getting tutoring in his psychic powers while being a GLC member.

Home Field (part 4)
6th February 2013
08:23 GMT -5

Short straw duty.

I sigh as I knock on Canis's door. Because some people are immune to the clinical depression field because they're so… Spiritually developed, or whatever. But we get the guy who's immune because he likes it.

"Canis! We've got a meeting!"

I hear his dog get up. I can hear it wagging its tail, which… I think that's because it knows what I smell like and not because it likes clinical depression too. The Justice League's research seems to say that animals aren't directly affected, but I don't think we'll really know until mating season. Pets do better for the same reason that pet owners do, and with farm animals there's not a lot of difference.

I wait a few more seconds, and think about whether I should knock again. Dr. Mist passed around Dream Catchers, but I didn't see Canis pick his-.
ECSTATIC JUBILATION!
The door slides open, and Canis… Looks like he's been working out? He's smiling, and there's sweat on his face. Actually, he looks kinda-.

Did I just catch him j-? No. Not thinking it. Not thinking it.

"Kid Flash. We have a mission? Another broadcaster to take down?"

Because he's the only one on the team who can get close without getting overwhelmed. Superboy could handle it, but… His heat vision kinda takes out the whole block.

"Not this time. We're heading to Gotham. Mannheim's going there-"

He grins like he just got real excited.

"-and we're going to spy on him when he does."

Canis nods, and… I don't know what he was hoping for. I don't exactly get why he didn't go over to Mannheim when this all started, but he hasn't held back when we've fought regular soldiers or the Justified.

"It will no doubt prove instructive."

"Can I..? Ask you a question?"

Brute looks around and sniffs at me, then goes back to his water bowl.

"You want to know why I do not serve Mannheim."

"Well… Yeah. Darkseid's obviously cool with him… You always said that Darkseid's your… Y'know-."

"My master."

I.. nod. "So what's up with the whole… Thing."

Canis shrugs, like he doesn't think it's a big deal. "Darkseid has not ordered me to serve this… Human. So I fulfil the last orders I received. The Anti-Life makes it easier to… Perceive them."

"But he's basically Darkseid in a human-suit. Isn't it the same thing?"

He looks at me like I just let off in an elevator.

"No. Darkseid has clearly touched him, but that is all that it is. There is so little of substance to the souls of most humans that-"

"Thanks, Canis."

"-the fleeting contact has turned him into something more." He sounds really contemptuous. "He is no more Darkseid than your shadow is you. No, no more than your footprint is you, than someone who wears your old shoes is you."

"Oh. Good, 'cause my last set of boots went in a charity auction."

Canis gets that distant look he gets when someone gives him an idea.

"Yes. He is Charity Auction Darkseid."

I… I don't know what to say to that. I mean, I know I never want to meet Retail Darkseid, but after… What Uncle Barry said about Apokolips, and what OL said about Darkseid… I kinda knew that anyway.

"So, are you..? Ready?"

Canis nods and grabs his mega rod. "Let us meet."

I step away from the doorway, and he strolls out with Brute right behind him.

And it-.

Okay, look, I'm not saying that I want everyone to be as stressed out as I am. It's just that most people are… Stressed out and depressed by this. Even the ones who are immune to the direct effect of the broadcast aren't exactly turning cartwheels about human civilisation only carrying on because no one's got the motivation to finish it off.

But Canis is like this is normal. I think he's actually more relaxed than he was when the world was still working.

I've gotta ask…

"Is this..? Normal for you?"

"I've lived in this mountain since-."

"No, I mean… The Anti-Life… Thing."

"I was born on Apokolips, where Darkseid's power is absolute and his nature manifest in all things and people. Be glad that you have the privilege of experiencing it while still yourself; few do."

"I can't imagine what that was like for you."

"Much like this, but I was smaller and weaker. And I had fewer friends."

"So this is better."

"It is beneficial. I do not think I would have formed properly here. And I would likely never have known the glory of Darkseid."

"So all the misery and horror and the inability to feel anything… Good?"

"Kid Flash, the human species has access to dozens of different forms of recreational drugs. Do you not?"

"Yeah?"

"Depressants, stimulants and hallucinogens of all kinds. Some adversely affect your health, for a short duration, a long duration or permanently. Other don't, and once the buzz fades they leave you as you were before."

"Not what the PSAs say, but… So what?"

"Have you ever consumed any?"

"No? I've never had-. I mean, aside from the… Speed formula."

"Your life has been more violent than that of most humans from your home city."

"Yeah, I-." Wait, does he mean, like, anxiety medication? Or some kind of sleep-aid? I guess that a place like Apokolips probably doesn't have drug laws. "I haven't needed anything."

"But you know that they exist. You could take such things."

"I don't think my parents would like it, but, sure. It's possible."

He turns his head back to smile at me.

"Then you understand. A world without Darkseid is like being consumed by narcotics, insulating you from the true reality we all live in but too frequently ignore. It is childish and foolish to prefer it…" He shrugs. "But perhaps it is not so bad to be a little childish sometimes."

I just… Stop. I stop in the corridor and stare after him.

That's-.

That's just so totally…

Messed up.

But I don't think he's lying. I think that's how he actually sees things. And if this keeps up…

A whole lot more people will see things that way when it's over.

Last edited:
Finally! Canis and his interpretation!

…wait, Darkseid gave him orders? Directly? When?

I mean, he sent assassins after him for being a bleedin' Apokolips liberal. (By focusing on art)

This does not suggest communication. This suggests Tanya-thinking, but without a chain of command and orders.

6th February 2013
08:23 GMT -5

Short straw duty.

I sigh as I knock on Canis's door. Because some people are immune to the clinical depression field because they're so… Spiritually developed, or whatever. But we get the guy who's immune because he likes it.
Hell, this whole situation probably makes Canis feel like he's back home for once. I mean, sure, he loves our art, but humanity's overall character is probably like living amongst an entire people of shiny, happy hippies high on life.

"Canis! We've got a meeting!"

I hear his dog get up. I can hear it wagging its tail, which… I think that's because it knows what I smell like and not because it likes clinical depression too. The Justice League's research seems to say that animals aren't directly affected, but I don't think we'll really know until mating season. Pets do better for the same reason that pet owners do, and with farm animals there's not a lot of difference.
Since most animals lack the higher, more complex reasoning that the Anti-Life seems to rely on for its effects. Their worlds are smaller, simpler and more closely tied to their instincts.

I wait a few more seconds, and think about whether I should knock again. Dr. Mist passed around Dream Catchers, but I didn't see Canis pick his-.
EXTATIC JUBILATION!
The door slides open, and Canis… Looks like he's been working out? He's smiling, and there's sweat on his face. Actually, he looks kinda-.
...Okay, he should be glad there's no other New Gods around to have heard that little outburst...

Did I just catch him j-? No. Not thinking it. Not thinking it.

"Kid Flash. We have a mission? Another broadcaster to take down?"
Let me guess, he enjoys capturing their collapse in his drawings later?

Because he's the only one on the team who can get close without getting overwhelmed. Superboy could handle it, but… His heat vision kinda takes out the whole block.

"Not this time. We're heading to Gotham. Mannheim's going there-"
Kon still not got a handle on the wide-angle nature of his sunbeams, huh?

He grins like he just got real excited.

"-and we're going to spy on him when he does."
Don't look down, Wally. Just keep your eyes above his shoulders. And hope that his armour hides any physical signs...

Canis nods, and… I don't know what he was hoping for. I don't exactly get why he didn't go over to Mannheim when this all started, but he hasn't held back when we've fought regular soldiers or the Justified.

"It will no doubt prove instructive."
By 'held back', you at least means he isn't avoiding fighting them. Since I expect he only resorts to low-lethality moves under sufferance.

"Can I..? Ask you a question?"

Brute looks around and sniffs at me, then goes back to his water bowl.
Heh, doggy not interested in speedy-boy now that there's no promise of immediate munchies, eh?

"You want to know why I do not serve Mannheim."

"Well… Yeah. Darkseid's obviously cool with him… You always said that Darkseid's your… Y'know-."
The joy of dealing with a Token Evil teammate.

"My master."

I.. nod. "So what's up with the whole… Thing."
Oh, this is going to be good...

Canis shrugs, like he doesn't think it's a big deal. "Darkseid has not ordered me to serve this… Human. So I fulfil the last orders I received. The Anti-Life makes it easier to… Perceive them."

"But he's basically Darkseid in a human-suit. Isn't it the same thing?"
Huh. I suppose since Apokalips is bathed in this kind of aura all the time, this does seem more normal to him...

He looks at me like I just let off in an elevator.

"No. Darkseid has clearly touched him, but that is all that it is. There is so little of substance to the souls of most humans that-"
Gee, what a wonderful pair of images. :V

"Thanks, Canis."

"-the fleeting contact has turned him into something more." He sounds really contemptuous. "He is no more Darkseid than your shadow is you. No, no more than your footprint is you, than someone who wears your old shoes is you."
So... Mannheim's soul is more or less a thin veneer of vaguely Darkseid-shaped tinfoil, barely holding together? One good poke would pop his bubble? Can't wait to see it happen.

"Oh. Good, 'cause my last set of boots went in a charity auction."

Canis gets that distant look he gets when someone gives him an idea.
...Goddammit, Wally. :oops:

"Yes. He is Charity Auction Darkseid."

I… I don't know what to say to that. I mean, I know I never want to meet Retail Darkseid, but after… What Uncle Barry said about Apokolips, and what OL said about Darkseid… I kinda knew that anyway.
To be fair, OG Darkseid is less Retail model than He is the hand-made and custom tailored original mass production uses for a template. Like the RX-78-2 Gundam compared to its RGM-79 GM successors. (The GM is sometimes joked to mean 'Generic Model', after all.) :p

"So, are you..? Ready?"

Canis nods and grabs his mega rod. "Let us meet."
No need to, er... Clean up? Catch your breath? Wash your hands? :oops:

I step away from the doorway, and he strolls out with Brute right behind him.

And it-.
That hallway now feeling a lot smaller now, I bet. Neither Canis nor Brut are small fellows, after all.

Okay, look, I'm not saying that I want everyone to be as stressed out as I am. It's just that most people are… Stressed out and depressed by this. Even the ones who are immune to the direct effect of the broadcast aren't exactly turning cartwheels about human civilisation only carrying on because no one's got the motivation to finish it off.

But Canis is like this is normal. I think he's actually more relaxed than he was when the world was still working.
It feels like home now. Which is kind of depressing in its own right.

I've gotta ask…

"Is this..? Normal for you?"
Oh-ho, going there, Wally? Better hope you're ready for the answer.

"I've lived in this mountain since-."

"No, I mean… The Anti-Life… Thing."
...Oh, yeah. Canis has been there for at least a year, hasn't he? Plenty of time to settle in.

"I was born on Apokolips, where Darkseid's power is absolute and his nature manifest in all things and people. Be glad that you have the privilege of experiencing it while still yourself; few do."

"I can't imagine what that was like for you."
But in this case, there's still hope of it ending.

"Much like this, but I was smaller and weaker. And I had fewer friends."

"So this is better."
It's different. I suspect Canis would not say it's better.

"It is beneficial. I do not think I would have formed properly here. And I would likely never have known the glory of Darkseid."

"So all the misery and horror and the inability to feel anything… Good?"
More obstacles to overcome? Hence the upper-class being hard assholes. Entirely evil assholes, but that's the nature of Apokalips.

"Kid Flash, the human species has access to dozen of different forms of recreational drugs. Do you not?"

"Yeah?"
Now where's this going?

"Depressants, stimulants and hallucinogens of all kinds. Some adversely affect your health, for a short duration, a long duration or permanently. Other don't, and once the buzz fade they leave you as you were before."

"Not what the PSAs say, but… So what?"
To be fair, it's easier to simply say 'these drugs are bad, m'kay?' to kids than try to explain the subtleties.

"Have you ever consumed any?"

"No? I've never had-. I mean, aside from the… Speed formula."
Though to be fair, that's the kind of drug you only need to take once to change your life.

"Your life has been more violent than that of most humans from your home city."

"Yeah, I-." Wait, does he mean, like, anxiety medication? Or some kind of sleep-aid? I guess that a place like Apokolips probably doesn't have drug laws. "I haven't needed anything."
Unlike, say, Comics Roy Harper. The Seventies, folks! :rolleyes:

"But you know that they exist. You could take such things."

"I don't think my parents would like it, but, sure. It's possible."
And even in a superhero world, most of the medicinal drugs would still have side-effects.

He turns his head back to smile at me.

"Then you understand. A world without Darkseid is like being consumed by narcotics, insulating you from the true reality we all live in but too frequently ignore. It is childish and foolish to prefer it…" He shrugs. "But perhaps it is not so bad to be a little childish sometimes."
...Uh, thanks, I think? :confused: Canis has a strange mind...

That's-.
Yeah, that's the kind of statement you need to take a long time to process.

That's just so totally…

Messed up.
Indeed, Wally, indeed. :(

But I don't think he's lying. I think that's how he actually sees things. And if this keep up…

A whole lot more people will see things that way when it's over.
If nothing else, the pharmaceutical companies will make a killing. :oops: Or the suppliers of less legal options.

...Probably more of Canis' world-view than any of us were expecting to see, I bet. Still, he has a point there. I have the feeling Earth will be a darker place for a while. Or people will overreact, having seen the worst things can get (or so they assume) and try to make the world better, only to hamper humanity's ability to defend themselves later somehow...

'ECSTATIC JUBILATION!' I hope?
...and once the buzz fade they leave you as you were before.
...and once the buzz fades they leave you as you were before.

needless to say, the rest of the chapter is italics.
You know what? I'll give it to you. I spent half an hour with no internet connection this morning and have no idea whether my correction went through befor eyou posted or not.
'ECSTATIC JUBILATION!' I hope?
...and once the buzz fades they leave you as you were before.
Thank you, corrected.
Unlike, say, Comics Roy Harper. The Seventies, folks!
My goodness, based Green Arrow. How times change.
Thank you, corrected.

Did you mean: "Every Oregairu Crossover Fan Fiction Ever"?

:V
I'll do you one better
Wiki said:
Hachiman most noteworthy trait is his unrivaled self-loathing. He always regards himself as lesser than those around him, and undeserving of human companionships.
50% of Japanese protagonists.
90 if its a Japan⇒Isekai-world.

Yes I just rescued the princess, one-shotted the dragon, revived the crippled economy and subjugated the enemy kingdom without breaking a sweat and I look like a total chad and am not an asshole.

Why is everyone giving me money and throwing themselves at me?

vs.

Hollywood Protag in 6 easy steps.

BOOM
Big BOOM.
Many BOOM
Dragon BOOM
Princess BOOM
Economy BOOM

Giv me moneyz
Giv me big tiddys

But... But why does the happy drugs being turned off make Canis giddy??

Edit: Missed the invisitext. How does coming down from a months long trip on uppers (that leave you highly functional) cause him to be ecstatic?

So... Mannheim's soul is more or less a thin veneer of vaguely Darkseid-shaped tinfoil, barely holding together? One good poke would pop his bubble? Can't wait to see it happen.

Not necessarily. Based on what Canis says every human soul is a thin veneer of tinfoil. Mannheim's just happens to be Darkseid-shaped. Or in other words, there is no reason to think that being Darkseid-shaped makes a human soul much more fragile than usual.

Last edited:
can someone remind me of how/why Canis is a good guy? like i get him not wanting to work with Charity Auction Darkseid, but if/when Darkseid actually shows up, he almost sounds like he would revert to 'bootlicker' almost immediately. would that be deliberate?

can someone remind me of how/why Canis is a good guy? like i get him not wanting to work with Charity Auction Darkseid, but if/when Darkseid actually shows up, he almost sounds like he would revert to 'bootlicker' almost immediately. would that be deliberate?
Canis is not a good guy. Orange Lantern Paul, who has trouble caring about someone's morality when they are useful and can be reasoned with and haven't taken something that is his, recruited him and stuck him into the Young Justice. The Justice League trusted his judgement. Canis himself respects the power of his new peers and his superiors in rank, so he amuses himself by following their code of conduct in battle and enjoys their company.

Canis is not a good guy. Orange Lantern Paul, who has trouble caring about someone's morality when they are useful and can be reasoned with and haven't taken something that is his, recruited him and stuck him into the Young Justice. The Justice League trusted his judgement. Canis himself respects the power of his new peers and his superiors in rank, so he amuses himself by following their code of conduct in battle and enjoys their company.
Also the fact that Barda kept beating him until he stopped trying to run away.

Any chance we're going to be seeing more of Lantern Yat any time soon?

He's a child, so not if the SI can help it.

I forgot that Paul recruited him in the middle of his origin story. If he won't be going up against the Reach, what will he be doing for the OLC?

Growing up into a mentally healthy individual. His adoptive mother is currently hoping that he gives his ring up, though that doesn't seem very likely.

Ah, that explains things. I was picturing him around the age of 15-17, like the team. How old is he actually?

I've been imagining him as about thirteen.

Wait a second… Paul recruited Princess Komand'r when she was fourteen! She was his first recruit, even, and has been a major member of the Corps the whole time.

Does that mean that, a year or two down the line, we might get to see Lantern Yat in action?!

I've been utterly fascinated by the concept of a Kryptonian OL since he was introduced, so I'm really hoping he's going to make more appearances down the line. He seems like a pretty interesting character too, judging by his backstory.

. Mist passed around Dream Catchers, but I didn't see Canis pick his

You're assuming he'd want to have something that hinders the Anti-Life.

"Kid Flash. We have a mission? Another broadcaster to take down

Weird that he's still working with them.

"Yes. He is Charity Auction Darkseid

A new title for Manheim.

Manheim, the Charity Auction Darkseid.

I really want someone to say it to him.

access to dozen of different forms of recreational drugs. Do you not?"

"dozens"

"Then you understand. A world without Darkseid is like being consumed by narcotics, insulating you from the true reality we all live in but too frequently ignore. It is childish and foolish to prefer it…" He shrugs. "But perhaps it is not so bad to be a little childish sometimes

So...Canis sees pre-Anti-Life Earth as being populated by stoned hippies.

That's-.

That's just so totally…

Messed up

But probably all too common on Apokalips.

You know there may be a potential way that Canis will fight Actually Darkseid.

If he thinks that he's helping him.

Remember Canis has some weird notions about things, so if he thinks that he can show how awesome his boss is by fighting him at full strength then he may do it.

Let me guess, he enjoys capturing their collapse in his drawings late

I bet he calls his works "The Folly of Fools", and they represent the hopelessness in pursuing futile victories over a more powerful foe.

Kon still not got a handle on the wide-angle nature of his sunbeams, huh?

Manheim may be able to shut them down.

Darkseid basically crammed four potatoes into a one potato sack and it ripped.

Just like All-Might feared would happen to Ezekiel if he didn't meringue him.

Unlike, say, Comics Roy Harper. The Seventies, folks! :rolleyes:

But that eventually lead to the beautiful and hilarious relationship with Killer Croc being his sponsor.

...Probably more of Canis' world-view than any of us were expecting to see, I bet. Still, he has a point there. I have the feeling Earth will be a darker place for a while. Or people will overreact, having seen the worst things can get (or so they assume) and try to make the world better, only to hamper humanity's ability to defend themselves later somehow

Unless the White Light fixes that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back