1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He was also scanning Kara and could see the damage she was doing to herself.

2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Racist Wizard vs Friendship would ge hilarious.

Ardy likes this.
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea, but Kryptonian cells are supposed to be partially magic due to them coming from Rao.

And the ring can't read magic.

4. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Responding to Vaermina.

Rings have been able to scan the body of demigods and actual gods more or less fine, who are almost without question more mystically infused than any Kryptonian, this is a non-point

Prince Charon likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, the rings can still analyze the physiological side of it, and if there's an arcane component it can at least try to speculate about what kind of effects might be required to cause the observed results.

Vaermina and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Compass (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th February 2013
    17:35 GMT -5

From Marran to another to another, we finally have a lead.

The Forever People share a discomported look as we walk through the berrith settlement. Probably a medium sized town, though I'm not sure how to judge their order of service. The berrith are actually a post-industrial society, but… They haven't ever developed some technologies that humans have now, while being more advanced in other areas. Personal computers aren't something they really had even during their initial advance into space. They do have computers, but they're work tools rather than a consumer item, and they prefer using terminals which connect to servers rather than personal computers.

Their heavy industry means that the air quality is quite a bit worse than most places back home-. Maybe some Chinese cities are like this? Smog clouds are an ongoing issue, and the sky sort of greys the background out after a certain distance. The roads are concrete, and the vehicles are like humvees with proportionally larger wheels.

Serifan is pulling a face. "How do they breathe this?"

Vykin looks around, relatively untroubled. "Did you not study the early industrial society of Earth?"

"That weren't the part I was reading about. Plenty of fresh air in the Wild West."

"Usually, a planet that had space ships would have moved away from burning hydrocarbons for fuel. I guess the berrith just…"

Actually, why haven't they moved on to fission fuel?

Original berrith homeworld had only small quantities of fissile material, along with plentiful quantities of easily accessible hydrocarbons. While berrith science was aware of the principles involved, it was impractical for them to implement on a wide scale.

"Didn't have enough heavy metals on their homeworld for fission."

"So?"

Moonrider shakes his head. "New Genesis is the perfect world. Most other worlds lack things that we consider normal."

"Yes, floating cities over a largely untouched forest aren't things most worlds have. Even Oa doesn't have that."

Serifan looks outright confused. "Why not? Them Guardians could make Oa like that. Couldn't they?"

"I can't speak for the Guardians, but if you're asking me to guess, I'd say that they consider themselves above any animal part of their nature that would like there to be plants or animals around. Since as far as I know Oa never had any wildlife, it's as desolate outside of the buildings that they and the Green Lanterns have built as it was when they moved there. Maltus is more like New Genesis, though our cities are on the ground and a good deal bigger."

We're getting a few stares from the locals, but… They're temporary stares. They look, they sniff, then they go back to doing whatever they were doing before. I remember my college textbooks calling that 'the diffusion of responsibility', but considering how berrith social hierarchies work it might be more accurate to call it the focusing of responsibility.

"Though if you were serious about that stewardship thing, feel free to get started."

Dreamer… Her arms are wrapped around her chest, her hands rubbing her sides. She's looking around, but I can't tell what she's looking… For? At? Bear's spotted it to.

"Have you found the one we're looking for?"

"What do you-?" She focuses on him. "No. This world… There is usually a connection between a people and their home. The berrith feel nothing."

Bear nods. "Their original home was lost during their war. The species who won wanted more space between them and the berrith."

"Between the orbital bombardment and the heavy hydrocarbon use, their original homeworld is a far less pleasant place to live than this, and will be for some time. To say nothing of the likely response of the rest of the Sector if the berrith tried resettling it."

"That… That might be it. I don't think I've ever been on a world like that before."

"It's not common. Usually, an invader would wipe the locals out rather than displace them. Ah." I stop outside a foundry, heat and the sound of heavy machinery emanating from inside. "I do believe that we're here. Vykin, would you care to take the lead?"

He steps forward, heading towards the yard where the raw ore is laying in piles awaiting smelting. The workers notice him, but since he doesn't appear to be carrying a tonne of ore on his person they allow him to pass.

"I-." He glances back at me. "I wish to speak with Mister Huyen."

The workers do a quick hierarchy-check, then one of them abandons his task and runs off into the foundry.

Progress. I give Vykin an approving nod.

Interesting how the other berrith aren't paying us much attention. Their eyes linger if they were looking in our direction anyway, but other than that they stick to their tasks. If this happened in a human place of work then I imagine that a whole crowd would gather around.

There's a slight… Something, and I notice that all of the New Gods are now looking at a window on the first floor of the structure. I follow their gaze and see a male berrith with a number of minor burns on his face disrupting his fur pattern. Not the one we're looking for, but… Check with the records… Yes, that's the boss of this place. Checking us out, perhaps? Berrith civilisation doesn’t have an overall alpha at the moment, so his status as local alpha has more significance.

Maybe that's why they never really developed commercial radio? It created a direct link between ruler and ruled when governments started broadcasting on Earth. I could tell you who the Prime Minister was for most of my life while never having any idea who the head of the East Sussex County Council was. Would they have found that too disruptive, or would it just never have occurred to them?

The berrith who went inside comes back out, accompanied by a younger berrith. The younger one - Huyen- cautiously approaches Vykin.

"What do you want, alien?"

Vykin hesitates for a moment, hopefully trying to decide how to put my instructions into effect.

"I am here about your brother."

"My brother is dead. He was eaten. The alphas said that he was unfit for anything else."

"You know the h'lvenite he spoke to?"

"He did not speak to me. But I saw him, sometimes. He glowed with purple light."

Vykin taps his Mother Box, and a hologram of false h'lvenite one appears.

"Is this the-?"

"No. No, not like that. I will not forget the one who took my brother away. Do not bother with more fakes. I could draw his face."

"Take us to where this happened."

Huyen looks up at the first floor window. The elder berrith considers for a moment, then makes an affirmative gesture. The Indigo Lantern's brother returns his attention to us.

"I can take you to our home. But I have no way to contact the h'lvenite. I was not what he wanted."

"That is my concern."

Huyen looks at him for several moments, before fluffing and then flattening his fur.

"Then follow me."

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

To be fair, it's probably not a surprise. Some of the things we made here on Earth needed lots of cooperative development and sharing of information. To the berrith, who seem to care little for anyone outside of their personal ingroup? I don't expect that much cooperation unless forced by outside domination...

Very shallowly, I suspect. Or their lungs are a lot more robust than you humanoids.

Gee, his favourite part of human history are the cowboys? How surprising. :rolleyes:

It's one of those things that needs a lot of cooperation, for one thing. At least, to do safely.

That would also be a logical reason.

I suppose your predecessors put a lot of work into making it that way...

Why would they feel the need to?

In other words, Oa is basically empty, outside of the main faculties and facilities around the Central Power Battery. Fits with the depictions I've seen, like LEGO Batman 3 (Where a large plateau serves as a hub area for collecting things.)

Something of a 'They're not focusing on me, so it's not my problem' reaction, eh?

Be unlikely to find them just wandering down the street. But stranger things happen, and Narrative Convenience is a thing around New Gods...

And wisely so. I'd want a lot of space between me and a violent race of carnivourous wolf-bear-people with a taste for intelligent species.

I suspect the words 'burnt cinder' are a fitting description.

Okay, time to see if the lessons OL taught them have sunken in...

A little weak, but it worked. Still room for improvement.

Their alpha wouldn't like them wasting time like that. Presumably they figure if they need to worry about it, the alpha will tell them to.

There we go. The boss is watching them, so unless he tells them to attack the strangers, they don't need to acknowledge them.

Fascinating idea. Pity this isn't the place to explore the implications and ramifications and all that academic stuff.

Huyen acting rebellious, trying to test Vykin's dominance, I see.

A nasty price for failure. Assuming he was involved with the whole 'getting off planet' thing earlier.

Well, then. You're the fellow they're looking for, all right.

And he passes the image test, even without any scent. ('False h'lvanite one' being the greatly divergent initial image they showed the others...)

Checking with his alpha for permission. logical enough. Don't want to get in trouble, and possibly be dinner.

Good work, Vik. Don't suggest whether that's all right or not. Simply declare it.

And Huyen demonstrates submission. He'll presumably endeavour to be as useful as he can, now.

So, the trail of clues continues. The meddling kids seem to be hot on the trail of the Indigo Tribe. I wonder how much use this berrith will be, though. I'm assuming they need him to show them where Ub'x appeared, so Dreamer can get psychometric readings off the area. And that will somehow let her track him anywhere in the universe or something. New God stuff gets weird...

The species who won wanted more space between them and the berrith.
    ...and a hologram of false h'lvanite one appears.
    The elder berrith considers for a moment, then makes an affirmative gesture.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    Vorian, Xmaster3000, kerleth and 12 others like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes, and they didn't detect anything that would result in godly power.

Which tells us that Power Rings actually can't detect that sort of thing.

And on that note. I would point out that the Kryptonians of the multiverse corner Grayven is currently in were stronger then an amped up Darkseid. So yea.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

if -> of

10. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Replying to Vaermina.

Which means nothing, because the organelles are only the catalyst for Kryptonian powers when exposed to sunlight, and the possibly magical actual powers come from something else entirely. So long as they don't have their powers up, and sometimes even then if anyone with a ring can focus on it hard enough, a standard ring scan won't do much, but when those powers are down it's just a molecular analysis.

Unless Rao, assuming he actually even made the Kryptonians in WTR, actively warded them against scans and made the organelles highly exotic as a form of black boxing his people's powers a ring scan would be able to tell how healthy they are because they're just an assortment of photosynthetic (photoelectric?) cells that then do something awful to physics via divine law or whatever.

11. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘h’lvenite’
    ‘h’lvenite’
    ’h’lvenite’

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Gesundheit.

14. Mr Zoat

Iah! Iah! H'lven Fhtagn!

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not really.

According to the text he was cautious.

16. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Look at that, "our cities". The SI starting to feel some personal investment in Maltus.

Interesting to think about the parallels between Maltus and New Genesis, actually. Both of them have a tiny elite of super-beings who "own" the planet, even though the vast majority of the population is a species of much less powerful insect-people. Of course, Maltus is becoming a lot more cosmopolitan than New Genesis due to being the headquarters for the war with the Reach. A lot of aliens moving in, and some of them no doubt will stay even after the war is over.

17. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I thought Huyen's brother was eaten? Or is that just a lie to explain his absence.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The elder refered to there is the guy in charge of the place, as in he is an older berrith, maybe by one generation.

19. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Cthulu Ftagan!

20. kerleth

kerleth Getting out there.

That was beautiful.

Someguy Somewhere and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Compass (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    17:49 GMT -5

"Hm."

B'dg makes a point of floating past my face as we approach the late Indigo Lantern's former home. I guess he wants to talk about something.

"Can I help you?"

"… It's not what I expected."

The berrith, I assume. "It takes a lot of work to be all-evil all the time. Apokolips manages it, but most Reach worlds are quite nice places to live if you're a reachian."

"What about the Spider Guild?"

"The slave pens take up quite a lot of space, and since they like the moans and screams they don't use any sort of sound-deadening technology on them, but outside of that… Pretty much." I shrug. "The Vega branch of the Guild is a little different due to the Queen and the fact that most of them are so young, so my viewpoint is a little slanted."

"Huh."

"What were you expecting?"

"More beatings. I've seen recordings of berrith prisoners, and they had to be kept restrained or they'd fight each other the whole time."

"That was the males, right?" He nods. "They'd only do that until they established a hierarchy. If you kept them in small groups and let them settle things, they'd calm down afterwards."

"We didn't keep people who fought each other without provocation in the same cell!"

"That was a mistake. You should have done. It's unwise to assume that alien species think the same as your own, even if they look like a bigger version of your species."

"… Huh. And the females?"

"Less direct violence, but they might take a little longer to settle things. Or you could just imprison them in the groups you capture them in, because they already have an established hierarchy."

"And that's it?"

"If you give them a really big prison then they might just avoid each other. I'm a little surprised that you don't know this. It shouldn't really-."

He waves a paw. "I didn't read up on the berrith because it was a done deal. There probably are people who know about it. Now, anyway. Do you know why they eat people, too?"

"No, I've been wondering about that as well. My guess would be that their ancestors leaned into the scavenging side of carnivorism. So they evolved guts that could handle partially rotted meat, which meant they also got the ability to eat other berrith without the sort of health problems you or I would get if we tried that. And because they were used to scavenging available meat, the same sort of social prohibition our species-."

"Whow, whow, hey. You might be an omnivore, but I'm strictly a herbivore!"

"My species has about eating each other never developed." I frown at him. "Obligate herbivore or do you just not need it?"

"Some h'lvenites eat… Beetles, but they're weirdoes."

I nod as Huyen shows Vykin in. Berrith appear to like communal dwelling, so it's more like a dormitory with an attached kitchen than a house or flat. There are two other berrith in there, slightly older than our escort but not closely genetically related to him. The one closest to the door gives Vykin a mild glare, but our escort grunts something and he calms down.

"Anything interesting happening in the Green Lantern Corps?"

"I wouldn't know. I've never left this Sector. Ch'p is the only other Green Lantern I've ever met."

"He did your… Basic training, then?"

"That's right. Never even seen Oa. I thought they might send an Honour Guard Lantern to cover for Ch'p, but I guess the Guardians didn't think they needed to."

"You know your ring can contact other Lanterns, right?"

"Yeah, obviously."

"You can just contact people to have a chat, you know? Or if you want to improve your skills, get a bit of remote tuition? Lantern Priest of Sector One Six Three Four is the most skilled green light user I know, and his Sector is almost completely safe."

"Thanks. Once Ch'p gets back from his paternity leave, I'll do that." He looks me over. "This isn't how I thought this conversation would go."

"The Green Lantern Corps fulfils a vital interstellar policing function. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who puts on one of those-" I nod at his ring-bearing paw. "-and serves their Sector, and if I mention certain issues in your Standard Operating Procedures and training scheme it's because I want you to be able to do better, not because I think that you're worthless."

"Ah… Thanks? I think?"

"And I certainly don't blame the occasionally sub-optimal decisions-."

"Okay, you can stop now."

"Of course, if you're feeling really brave, then you could see if you can get released for detached duty in Sector Two Eight One Four. Wait until we've dealt with the Anti-Life, then give us a couple of months to rebuild planet Earth's economy, then we can spare the time to give you some lessons."

"A couple of…"

"Lanterns!" Vykin gestures to us as the Forever People go inside. "We are ready to begin."

I nod as I walk towards him, B'dg flying alongside me.

"I'm assuming that Dreamer needs me?"

"It would make things… Easier. None of us have seen this 'indigo light' before."

"How exactly does her ability work?"

Vykin… Actually looks mildly affronted. "Our abilities are a gift from the Source, which we receive as we approach adulthood."

"Right, right, but presumably she's interacting with parts of the 'default' universe in order to get information. I was wondering what part. Unless the Source grants her each vision individually."

"Beneath the corporeal world, beneath even the realm of the spirit, there lies a realm-."

"The Dream, yes, I've been there. Impressive that she-."

"You've been there?" He blinks. "You mean to say that you have dreamt while maintaining your awareness."

"No, I've physically entered the Dream. Went to dream-Baghdad, spoke to the dream-versions of certain notable historical figures, and ended up running through a dream storm. Interesting, though not a lot of fun. I can see how that would work, though it's impressive that she's able to get that level of resolution out of it."

"I… See."

We enter the building, Bear's size forcing him to wait in the common room while the rest of us head into the barracks. Huyen gestures to what I assume to be his brother's former bed, and I approach as Dreamer starts to focus.

Show me nothing. I am unworthy.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That's going to be a problem. I hope Paul develops some ability to properly understand Godspeech so that he can help Dreamer with her deeper problems.

23. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

Me in a chipper voice: Earth is fun!

24. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Ok, she's definitely more messed up than it originally seemed. Do the other New Gods not know or is this what they're hoping gets fixed eventually by letting her do this type of things? Convince her that she's worthy by making her do things?

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Ah yes, the spiritual underpinning of all reality. I own a cottage there, nice place"

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, when you're only a few inches tall, it's hard to get noticed by the taller species. Especially if they're not used to dealing with you. The resemblance to creatures many species find cute probably doesn't help.

Care to clarify your subject? New Gods? Orange Lanterns in general or OL specifically? The berrith's behaviour?

Pity about any other races in their path. But most of them don't deal with outsiders, be they future subjects or food.

But to each other, they're quite pleasant.

Don't mistake their response to stressful situations for normal behaviour.

Why not? Do the captives act politely to each other afterwards? Then it's no problem.

Heh. B'dg getting a quick introduction to xenopsychology. Fellow might want to look into it later, if he cares to do his work well.

Amazingly simple, isn't it? All you really have to do is make sure to patch up the injuries afterwards. Or leave the dead to be eaten.

Silly boy. I hope this teaches you to look up background information ahead of prospective interactions in future.

Ah. Hopefully all that talk of meat-eating isn't turning B'dg's stomach or anything.

I can just picture him shuddering when he says 'beetles'. In that 'slightly disgusted' way.

Huyen smoothing the way with his housemates, I see. I'm guessing it's something of a 'They're not staying. Just checking something' explanation.

Bit of a rush job, then?

Oh, boy. Is he gonna get an eyeful if or when he reports for Basic Training.

Just be polite when you open a channel. Never know what a more senior Lantern might be up to when you Ring them.

Ah, OL. Always with the 'I think that's a compliment' comments.

Please, OL. Don't bury the guy in backhanded compliments or inter-Corps sentiments.

OL, no. Do you want the guy to have a heart attack when he sees just how insane Earth is?

Yes, Earth is Bullshit, B'dg. Damage that would take other worlds years if not centuries to recover from, Earth fixes up in months.

Well, you are the only person to have met Ub'X in the room. Presumably she needs a point of reference.

Oh, this will be interesting to hear...

Probably a bit much for a simple Seer. More likely it's local thaumic resonance.

OL, just dropping the fact that he's dealt with Epic-level biomes like a boss, no worries, mate.

A neat summarisation of an entire episode.

Ooh, that's worrying. Girl's all out of confidence in herself, I bet.

If OL heard that last bit of Godspeech, he really needs to stick his oar in. Otherwise, I expect Lightray would try to do a little confidence-building... Still, better they discover the issue here, than during a far more tense situation. And it's an unpleasant reminder of how badly the Forever People got hit by the Anti-Life. No doubt Dreamer got it worst of them all, given her powers.

Vorian, ashadowalker, m_d and 12 others like this.
  27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Misplaced speech mark.
    ’clams up’?
    or
    ’calms down’?

28. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

You know, it's be fun to see Zoat's version of the Fourth World interact with the Endless and the Demon worlds.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I wonder how Beautiful Dreamer would interact with Dream, and Desire.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.