• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Thanks again dude, but how am I supposed to contact them? I don't want to disturb any of them just for this.

DMs? I honestly don't know the protocol for this since I've never bothered personally. I think there's a post somewhere on QQ, in the non-creative writing sections obviously, that would explain it properly. Check the site rules maybe?

In theory, you're correct. In the same way that in theory, communism works. In practice, your own quote ends up explaining why it's shit. Communism fails because you run out of other people's money, and then IP fails because you're censoring everyone else's minds and labor.
Instead, the government should provide grants to those who produce works of useful artistic merit and inventions useful to society as a reward, and then let all of society benefit from it so we can have free insulin instead of thousand dollar a vial insulin. Inventing a new thing that improves society creates economic wealth that did not exist before, and that value can be paid to the inventor without hamstringing the people.
Can we not go there please?

Prep Time (part 4)
15th February 2013
16:25 GMT -5

I can feel it, as I slide the rings onto my fingers. The structures of my desire networks, being… Pressed. Surrounded by something that's applying a constant compressive force without there being anywhere else for the structure to move to.

External Motivation = External Control

Oh, alright. I'm Anti-Lifed. The thing pressing against my desires and forcing them into shape is the 'external motivation'. I can feel that pressure, that discomfort, in a way that I couldn't before. Was it always there, and I just couldn't see it? Or is it just the result of the Anti-Life getting its hooks in my soul?

Both, obviously.

Because the thing about the Anti-Life is that it's true, but how you respond to that is up to you. Because it's not the whole of the truth. Certainly, the external pressure affects my desires, but depicting that pressure as being this oppressive is simply wrong. It doesn't force me into shape, it gives any of these structures meaning. There's no point in fighting if you're not fighting for something.

It's not a hostile thing. It's not self versus environment. We're not so rigidly separate from our environments, our cultures, our tangible realities. I would be a radically different person just from growing up somewhere different even if I was biologically identical. Heck, I've met versions of me who were not merely genetically identical but shared a little under three decades of life experience, and some of them were very different people to me.

There is no prison. It pushes against me, I push against it. That is the nature of things.

External… Motivation…. =…

"Equals external existence, you worthless waste of quanta."

The rings on my ring fingers are glowing properly. Glow brighter, form a sword and shield construct… Yes, good.

I turn to Kadabra. "Well?"

His face is unusually still. "Who were you talking to?"

"The Anti-Life."

Now he looks uncomfortable. "Is it intelligent?"

"Not as far as I know. But that was pure anthropomorphism on my part. My brain?"

He wiggles his wand. "It… Matches the records I have for your usual patterns of activity. But… Do you have some sort of subspacial memory expansion?"

"No. But my mind uses the orange light for some things, not just my brain. Is that-?"

"Ah. Yes. Those parts of your thoughts I cannot properly detect."

I dismiss my sword and shield and replace them with a railgun. Test the charge… Yes, that works. Subspace pocket… Still filled.

"Do you think that you could defy the Anti-Life in the field?"

"Not immediately. It's just-. Suddenly there's an alien perspective in your mind. It's not something I can casually ignore right away."

"But it isn't affecting you now."

"I… Should probably get checked over by an actual professional, but I think that's correct." I gesture to his plasmic circle and he dismisses it with a wave of his wand. "And… I should probably do something about my armour."

"It's still in Washington. What's left of it."

"No, it's-. If I can get nobbled like that, then my old design rationale doesn't apply. I need something I can move in, not just something that can take a hit."

I look down at my legs, the orange glow already reformatting my ersatz leg armour into something properly integrated. A few other systems could do with an upgrade, but it's a generally solid design.

Okay, while that's happening…

"Illustres to Controller Hinon. Please respond."

Nothing. Not even the static I got last time.

"So do I fly out, or do I stay here because I think they're deliberately isolating me?"

"Based on my analysis of your personality, you'll stay. But I don't think that's wise."

"I do need to get back in touch, otherwise they won't know when to send Orion. But that can wait until I've spoken to Guy or one of the other Lanterns in person. Or I can build a-."

"Ahh, Orange?"

I instinctively glance at the speaker. "Yes, Truggs?"

"It's Batman."

"What's Batman?"

"He's here. Ahh. Just teleported up."

Oh. I was expecting him to call ahead, but… Fine.

"Kadabra, can you teleport us to his location?"

He nods and flicks his wand. There's a crackling hum, and then we're… In the ship workshop. Batman is talking to Eiling, but cuts himself off and turns to us.

"Orange Lantern. It's good to have you back."

"That desperate, sir?"

"Frankly, yes. You said that you have a solution?"

"Combine the power of seven different power ring colours and funnel the resulting white light through the Anti-Life transmission network. That should expunge it completely, as well as undoing some of the damage."

"Do you have the rings?"

"Couldn't get an indigo ring, but I think we can probably bypass that using the Medusa Mask. Please tell me that we still have it."

"We don't."

Darn.

"Several of our holding centres were overrun before we could dispatch anyone to secure them. They usually had contacts amongst the superheroes who worked in their cities, and those superheroes were usually members of the Alliance of the Just. Is there another alternative?"

"Summon the Proselyte. Though that would have its own problems. Summon some other sort of compassion elemental… Summon Rachmiel the angel of mercy, love and compassion… Get hold of an actual Indigo Lantern. That's about it."

"Zauriel has informed us that no other angels will make themselves available. And I agree with you about the inadvisability of summoning an emotional entity. Another elemental is possible; consult with Zatara to see if there's anything that will work. Otherwise, try to locate the Medusa Mask. Obviously, removing the Anti-Life from Earth should be your top priority."

I nod. "Sir. I'll get right on that."

Last edited:

"So do I fly out, or do I stay here because I think they're deliberately isolating me?"
Or they were trying to isolate the Anti-Life infection from the Orange Light, and you putting the ring back on just made it a whole lot worse and now they're all dead.

They're not of course, but that's an actual possibility that you completely discounted in your need to have your rings back. Which suggests you absolutely can not function for any appreciable amount of time without them at this point. Which in turn suggests you need a hard multi-month long detox from Orange power rings.

"Zauriel has informed us that no other angels will make themselves available. And I agree with you about the inadvisability of summoning an emotional entity. Another elemental is possible; consult with Zatara to see if there's anything that will work. Otherwise, try to locate the Medusa Mask. Obviously, removing the Anti-Life from Earth should be your top priority."

No you won't.

You'll start on it, maybe even progress a little, but then get distracted like the goldfish you are.

15th February 2013
16:25 GMT -5

I can feel it, as I slide the rings onto my fingers. The structures of my desire networks, being… Pressed. Surrounded by something that's applying a constant compressive force without there being anywhere else for the structure to move to.

External Motivation = External Control
In other words, it's trying to force him into a shape he doesn't want to be. A shape that is no doubt defined by whatever adjustments Darkseid has made to the fragments of Anti-life in Mannheim's transmission. And no Orange Lantern would stand for that, so...

Oh, alright. I'm Anti-Lifed. The thing pressing against my desires and forcing them into shape is the 'external motivation'. I can feel that pressure, that discomfort, in a way that I couldn't before. Was it always there, and I just couldn't see it? Or is it just the result of the Anti-Life getting its hooks in my soul?

Both, obviously.
To be fair, any part of the Anti-Life seems to work that way, merely bringing its aspect of Life to the fore. Usually in a self-destructive way.

Because the thing about the Anti-Life is that it's true, but how you respond to that is up to you. Because it's not the whole of the truth. Certainly, the external pressure affects my desires, but depicting that pressure as being this oppressive is simply wrong. It doesn't force me into shape, it gives any of these structures meaning. There's no point in fighting if you're not fighting for something.

It's not a hostile thing. It's not self versus environment. We're not so rigidly separate from our environments, our cultures, our tangible realities. I would be a radically different person just from growing up somewhere different even if I was biologically identical. Heck, I've meet versions of me who were not merely genetically identical but shared a little under three decades of life experience, and some of them were very different people to me.
To be fair, each of them had been touched in a different way by their Lights. People adapt to different circumstances in odd ways.

There is no prison. It pushes against me, I push against it. That is the nature of things.

External… Motivation…. =…
Go on, kick it in the nards. ...Assuming it has anything like nards to kick. :p

"Equals external existence, you worthless waste of quanta."

The rings on my ring fingers are glowing properly. Glow brighter, form a sword and shield construct… Yes, good.
When confronted with something trying to enforce a rule you don't like... Rewrite the rules.

I turn to Kadabra. "Well?"

His face is unusually still. "Who were you talking to?"
Heh. I suppose he is a little worried, given that OL isn't generally given to spontaneous outbreaks of talking to himself.

"The Anti-Life."

Now he looks uncomfortable. "Is it intelligent?"
Things would be a lot worse if it was, because then it could adapt.

"Not as far as I know. But that was pure anthropomorphism on my part. My brain?"

He wiggles his wand. "It… Matches the records I have for your usual patterns of activity. But… Do you have some sort of subspacial memory expansion?"
Sort of... Depending on how you count the Heart of the Ophidian he may be carrying.

"No. But my mind uses the orange light for some things, not just my brain. Is that-?"

"Ah. Yes. Those parts of your thoughts I cannot properly detect."
Like combat acceleration. Not that he generally uses that too often. Not consciously, anyway.

I dismiss my sword and shield and replace them with a railgun. Test the charge… Yes, that works. Subspace pocket… Still filled.

"Do you think that you could defy the Anti-Life in the field?"
Good, he has all his stuff and the Yellow Ring's loot bag.

"Not immediately. It's just-. Suddenly there's an alien perspective in your mind. It's not something I can casually ignore right away."

"But it isn't affecting you now."
Not directly, no. It's more like he's laid in a firewall against that specific avenue of attack...

"I… Should probably get checked over by an actual professional, but I think that's correct." I gesture to his plasmic circle and he dismisses it with a wave of his wand. "And… I should probably do something about my armour."

"It's still is Washington. What's left of it."
Time to pick up something a little more streamlined, OL? Something that you can actually look around in properly?

"No, it's-. If I can get nobbled like that, then my old design rationale doesn't apply. I need something I can move it, not just something that can take a hit."

I look down at my legs, the orange glow already reformatting my ersatz leg armour into something properly integrated. A few other systems could do with an upgrade, but it's a generally solid design.
And now I'm imagining something similar to COG armour. Albeit with better plating coverage.

Okay, while that's happening…

Heh. Just in case your line was busted last time?

Concerning. Now what could be causing that, I wonder?

"Based on my analysis of your personality, you'll stay. But I don't think that's wise."

"I do need to get back in touch, otherwise they won't know when to send Orion. But that can wait until I've spoken to Guy or one of the other Lanterns in person. Or I can build a-."
...That's assuming Orion is in any mood to come. I mean, he could have found a nice fight elsewhere.

"Ahh, Orange?"

I instinctively glance at the speaker. "Yes, Truggs?"
Good chance to Assimilate him once he's done, you know...

"It's Batman."

"What's Batman?"

"He's here. Ahh. Just teleported up."
Well, that saves time.

Oh. I was expecting him to call ahead, but… Fine.

"Kadabra, can you teleport us to his location?"
Since the teleport would have been logged by the main systems.

He nods and flicks his wand. There's a crackling hum, and then we're… In the ship workshop. Batman is talking to Eiling, but cuts himself off and turns to us.

"Orange Lantern. It's good to have you back."
I'm guessing the general is putting together something a little more his size. Heavy Plasma Cannon with pistol grip and foregrip, maybe... :D

"That desperate, sir?"

"Frankly, yes. You said that you have a solution?"
Well, it's going to be colourful, if nothing else.

"Combine the power of seven different power ring colours and funnel the resulting white light through the Anti-Life transmission network. That should expunge it completely, as well as undoing some of the damage."

"Do you have the rings?"
...Well... About eighty-five percent of the way there or so...

"Couldn't get an indigo ring, but I think we can probably bypass that using the Medusa Mask. Please tell me that we still have it."

"We don't."
...Motherfucker. Another sidequest.

Darn.

"Several of our holding centres were overrun before we could dispatch anyone to secure them. They usually had contacts amongst the superheroes who worked in their cities, and those superheroes were usually members of the Alliance of the Just. Is there another alternative?"
In other words, they called for help when shit went fan-wards, only for the help to be part of the problem.

"Summon the Proselyte. Though that would have its own problems. Summon some other sort of compassion elemental… Summon Rachmiel the angel of mercy, love and compassion… Get hold of an actual Indigo Lantern. That's about it."

Yes, thank you, Batman. Perhaps you should add the pseudonym 'Captain Obvious' to your long list of titles. :rolleyes:

Well, then. One guess whose hands the mask is in now. Though I doubt Mannheim could use it to weaken people's resistance to Anti-Life, it's not impossible he's using a lieutenant to apply some measure of debuff. Still, if OL's back in a combat-ready state, then it's a simple matter of locating it, heading down to find said lieutenant and taking them down. ...Oh, crap. :eek: It's going to be someone important, isn't it?

Hmm. So can the Medusa Mask "do" Black Light, and is that useful for Darkseid's research? Maybe, maybe not, however Darkseid outright thanked Grayven for his contribution with the Orange light brand… so indigo or orange could be a part of Mannheim's research with the mask.

If the Mask was obtained by someone unaffiliated with Mannheim, they could acquire a great deal of power by blessing/doping people with strong emotions. On the other hand, could they do all of that secretly? Hrrm.

I believe you mean "Serifan"?
Moonrider frowns at me. "Please don't tell him to shoot the Whiz Wagon."

"I promise you that I will never tell him to do that." I return my attention to the dock commander. "So do we have an agreement?"
Complete and utter bullshit from Paul. And no way in hell is it actually called that, unless Moonrider was being humorous.
a location with no lines of sight to his friends or any windows.
Windows so that no one can look in the normal way, or does somebody have an ability to see through any window that exists?
"And if you'd been weaker, you wouldn't have been able to kill them."
There are worse fates than death, after all, freeing them from their misery was probably the best thing to do.
"Then you find someone who can and you make sure they've got the tools they need. But I wouldn't count yourself out just yet."
That's some solid advice right there, I'm really proud of how far Paul has come to be honest.
Thanks for the post.

So did I get this right, the Anti-Life tried to tell him his motivations entirely came from the outside, so he was entirely controlled from outside.

But his answer was, well yeah, but they also come from inside me as a reaction and there is no contradiction?

So did I get this right, the Anti-Life tried to tell him his motivations entirely came from the outside, so he was entirely controlled from outside.

But his answer was, well yeah, but they also come from inside me as a reaction and there is no contradiction?
Yup.

But you should probably just chalk that up to Paul's SI superpower to partially ignore the negative effects of things at work.

It's a bit weak.

Both anti-life as a concept and how Paul "defeats" it here.

I mean, in actual, real life, as far as we know, humans don't have free will the way they commonly think they do. A lot of decision-making is actually just a post-hoc justification of a subconscious choice, for an example.

Point being, Anti-life feels like an edgy teen came up with it.

It's a bit weak.

Both anti-life as a concept and how Paul "defeats" it here.

I mean, in actual, real life, as far as we know, humans don't have free will the way they commonly think they do. A lot of decision-making is actually just a post-hoc justification of a subconscious choice, for an example.

I mean it's the ultimate goal of a being that I remember being summed up with roughly "Darkseid would give up his empire and all his history for a rock to beat you with, if the rock would allow him to dominate you more.".

Of course it's an incomplete argument.

I believe you mean "Serifan"?
Thank you, corrected.
Yes, and that as such there isn't really a 'him'. This is significant for an Orange Lantern as the SI has seen Lanterns who are obviously like that and has been like that himself when the orange light overwhelms him.
No, it's that if you want to do anything with the universe you have to be engaged with it.

ALE is 1984 style mindfuck "War Is Peace, Freedom Is Slavery, and Ignorance Is Strength."

It's propaganda as a superpower.

Kirby based Darkseid on Nixon and Hitler, Godfrey is basically the embodiment of religion as Marx's "opiate of the masses."

Kirby's Darkseid knew he'd be the first one against the wall when the inevitable Lowly revolution happens.

Of course it's crap, it's supposed to be crap.

Prep Time (part 5)
15th February 2013
16:52 GMT -5

"Sir?"

Batman looks up from the astronavigation console. Interesting that the LexCorp people aren't avoiding him. They don't even look nervous about him being here. I assume that's because Lex's conflict with the Justice League happens way above their level. Or that they've had a rethink after the third global disaster in three years.

"Yes?"

"Reviewing intelligence files. I've just got up to the… Mannheim's visit to Gotham. Has everyone..? Recovered? I know they've been cleared for.. active duty…"

He nods. "Yes. It was traumatic at the time, but with counselling and with help from Doctor Mist, everyone affected has made a full recovery. I've also made it clear that they should never have gone anywhere near Mannheim without Justice League support."

I nod. "The information they gained on the Anti-Life-."

"Could have been gained just as easily with far less risk. If we directly confront Mannheim, it will be with the full strength that we can bring to bear and not with one teenaged kryptonian." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "I should probably make you aware that the whole episode has prompted me to rethink my own approach to crime fighting."

"Sir?"

"You're aware that I originally chose the emblem of a bat because one flew through my study window after my first night out after returning to Gotham."

Ah…

"Holly Robinson is currently in a Justice League safe area. I believe that you mentioned it to her."

Yeah, I… Think I did.

"But I didn't tell her that she was the one who stabbed you. Did-?"

He looks away for a second, then looks back at me. "I hadn't realised. The most serious injury I suffered were bullet wounds from the police officers who arrested me. I'd almost forgotten about the underage prostitute who stabbed me. How did you work that out?"

"I asked about Holly's personal history. It came up when we were talking about when Selina got out of that line of work."

"Mm."

Okay, I think he bought it.

"Did you read the part about how the Anti-Life causes the emergence of city bosses?"

"Yes. I hadn't realised that it would work like that, but it makes sense."

"That's actually what made me reconsider the way I work."

"Sir?"

"The Anti-Life effectively rewards brutal strongmen and gang leaders. Tyrants, whose power is backed by force and by the fear their lootenants feel in them. After Robin was exposed to the Anti-Life I realised that I could easily have become a city boss myself."

"I don't think it would be a good idea, sir."

"No, it wouldn't. The day… Holly stabbed me was the day I decided to use the image of the bat to inspire fear in the Gotham criminal underworld. It was… Effective, for a time."

"Sir?"

"It can't have escaped your notice that the Joker isn't afraid of me. He regards mass murder as a game. I don't think there's any level of intimidation that I could bring to bear that would dissuade him."

"No, sir. He's mental."

"Having people afraid of me didn't stop Riddler, or Two Face. It didn't even stop Penguin or Catwoman. Gotham isn't as bad now as it was when I started, but even the regular gangs treat being hospitalised by me as the price of doing business rather than something to actually fear. Joining the Justice League should have made me reconsider how I operated, especially when I started talking to Superman-."

"Sir? I'm not.. sure.. where you're going with this?"

"It would have been easy for me to work within the confines of the Anti-Life, when that's the absolute last thing that I want. So I've decide to change some parts of the way I work."

"So… You're not treating criminals as a superstitious and cowardly lot?"

I get a mild frown, but he shakes his head. "I don't think they're more superstitious than anyone else, and I've had enough criminals pick fights with me when the only thing on the line was their pride to know that they're not cowardly. Not all cowardly, at least. It was really more that they weren't committed, and I saw plenty of people in the Gotham City Police Department who equally lacked that commitment."

"So you're..? Abandoning fear as a tool?"

"I think the Earth has seen enough fear."

Well… That's a… Problem. I mean, who's my backup option? Crane? I-.

Wait. Power Ring -16. He could do it, and he owes me, and apparently he's up to something with his version of Supergirl, so... Okay. Okay. Not a complete disaster.

Batman's looking at me.

"Is there a problem?"

"Bit of a surprise sir, but I'll live. Um. Okay, I've got a couple of possible locations to check out. Who's available to back me up?"

"Just Eiling's squad. Having you operate out of these ships should be fine in the medium term, but bringing anyone else here risks drawing Mannheim's attention."

I nod. "I agree. That was the reason I gave for not sheltering the crew's families."

He hesitates for a moment, looking a little uncomfortable. Then he nods.

"That is the correct decision. Keeping them out of the way will be more effective than putting them in a military facility like a warship. Have you decided where you're going to start looking?"

"The Medusa Mask was in S.T.A.R. Philadelphia, so I may as well start my search in that area. It will probably be easier to investigate on my own and call the others in if there's a fight."

He shakes his head. "Don't go alone. Take at least one member of your squad with you."

I nod. Kadabra would probably be most useful, but I need him here to operate the ship. Eiling is the most disciplined, so I should leave him behind to take charge of the others. Standing Bear isn't in any mental shape to enter an Anti-Life infected region. That leaves Mahkent and Tuppence. Mahkent doesn't look like a baseline human, so if I'm going to be sneaking around then Tuppence is the one I want.

"Will do. Anything else?"

"Make sure to report what you encounter. We still don't know exactly what Mannheim or his agents are doing, and every piece of information could be vital."

"Understood, sir. I'll let you know how it goes."

Last edited:
"You're aware that I originally chose the emblem of a bat because one flew through my study window after my first night out after returning to Gotham."

Ah…

"Holly Robinson in currently in a Justice League safe area. I believe that you mentioned it to her."

Yeah, I… Think I did.
Can anyone remind me when Paul told Holly this? Also, I hope Paul will be there to help Holly and Karon once this is over.

"But I didn't tell here that she was the one who stabbed you. Did-?"

He looks away for a second, then looks back at me. "I hadn't realised. The most serious injury I suffered were bullet wounds from the police officers who arrested me. I'd almost forgotten about the underage prostitute who stabbed me. How did you work that out?"

"I asked about Holly's personal history. It came up when we were talking about when Selina got out of that line of work."

"Mm."

In the Paragon timeline Paul told Jade this, while in the Eros timeline Paul told Selina this. Since Paul revealed this tidbit of info to Batman directly, has it aroused any suspicions about Paul getting info from parallel universes?

"The Anti-Life effectively rewards brutal strongmen and gang leaders. Tyrants, whose power is backed by force and by the fear their lootenants feel in them. After Robin was exposed to the Anti-Life I realised that I could easily have become a city boss myself."
That should say 'lieutenants'.

I get a mild frown, but he shakes his head. "I don't think they're more superstitious than anyone else, and I've had enough criminals pick fights with me when the only thing on the line was their pride to know that they're now cowardly. Not all cowardly, at least. It was really more that they weren't committed, and I saw plenty of people in the Gotham City Police Department who equally lacked that commitment."
It's a shame that Batman won't say that line anymore, but it's also good that he's evolving his methodology and tactics. Also, that should say 'not'.

Wait. Power Ring -16. He could do it, and he owes me, and apparently he's up to something with his version of Supergirl, so... Okay. Okay. Not a complete disaster.
This might cause some complications once he learns that Power Ring is already working with Sinestro.

"That is the correct decision. Keeping them out of the way will be more affective than putting them in a military facility like a warship. Have you decided where you're going to start looking?"
That should say 'effective'.

15th February 2013
16:52 GMT -5

"Sir?"

Batman looks up from the astronavigation console. Interesting that the LexCorp people aren't avoiding him. They don't even look nervous about him being here. I assume that's because Lex's conflict with the Justice League happens way above their level. Or that they've had a rethink after the third global disaster in three years.
Plus, working with the League has kind of buffed off some of his 'urban legend' nature and the sheer scariness of his theme. He's simply become too big, too public to intimidate regular people anymore. He's just a weird guy who dresses like a bat now. :p

"Yes?"

"Reviewing intelligence files. I've just got up to the… Mannheim's visit to Gotham. Has everyone..? Recovered? I know they've been cleared for.. active duty…"
...Didn't he already hear about that, or is this more a case of 'Okay, they did what? I need to read this for myself.'

He nods. "Yes. It was traumatic at the time, but with counselling and with help from Doctor Mist, everyone affected has made a full recovery. I've also made it clear that they should never have gone anywhere near Mannheim without Justice League support."

I nod. "The information they gained on the Anti-Life-."
...Or at least they seem fine. For now. Still might be work getting a full once-over from the Frees after it's all wrapped up.

"Could have been gained just as easily with far less risk. If we directly confront Mannheim, it will be with the full strength that we can bring to bear and not with one teenaged kryptonian." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "I should probably make you aware that the whole episode has prompted me to rethink my own approach to crime fighting."

"Sir?"
At least their youthful foolishness didn't damage the League's overall Narrative strength. Young people are expected to be headstrong and prone to leaping into battles...

Ah…
Not like he has to worry about Lex learning his real identity. But still, being a bit free with - admittedly anonymous - personal details.

"Holly Robinson in currently in a Justice League safe area. I believe that you mentioned it to her."

Yeah, I… Think I did.
Presumably in an offscreen conversation. It's not like we see every moment of his life.

"But I didn't tell here that she was the one who stabbed you. Did-?"

Ooh, Holly never mentioned that, I bet.

"Mm."
And Bats has 'Press [X] to doubt' flashing in his HUD right now. :p

"Did you read the part about how the Anti-Life causes the emergence of city bosses?"
Or he's simply choosing to file that under 'suspicious things Orange Lantern has said and done.' For later reference...

"Yes. I hadn't realised that it would work like that, but it makes sense."

"That's actually what made me reconsider the way I work."
Eh? Realising you could have done the job better, Bats?

"Sir?"

But you didn't, because you weren't here?

"I don't think it would be a good idea, sir."

"No, it wouldn't. The day… Holly stabbed me was the day I decided to use the image of the bat to inspire fear in the Gotham criminal underworld. It was… Effective, for a time."
But each time you bled, or talked, or let people see you as something other than a bat-like monster...

"Sir?"

"It can't have escaped your notice that the Joker isn't afraid of me. He regards mass murder as a game. I don't think there's any level of intimidation that I could bring to bear that would dissuade him."
I don't know. Surely there's something he's afraid of. Irrelevence, perhaps.

"No, sir. He's mental."

"Having people afraid of me didn't stop Riddler, or Two Face. It didn't even stop Penguin or Catwoman. Gotham isn't as bad now as it was when I started, but even the regular gangs treat being hospitalised by me as the price of doing business rather than something to actually fear. Joining the Justice League should have made me reconsider how I operated, especially when I started talking to Superman-."
So you've simply become a stage hazard, rather than a deterrent.

"Sir? I'm not.. sure.. where you're going with this?"

"It would have been easy for me to work within the confines of the Anti-Life, when that's the absolute last thing that I want. So I've decide to change some parts of the way I work."
What, he's not going the Adam West-era route, running around in broad daylight in light-grey and blue? :p

That was always an outdated idea anyway.

I get a mild frown, but he shakes his head. "I don't think they're more superstitious than anyone else, and I've had enough criminals pick fights with me when the only thing on the line was their pride to know that they're now cowardly. Not all cowardly, at least. It was really more that they weren't committed, and I saw plenty of people in the Gotham City Police Department who equally lacked that commitment."

"So you're..? Abandoning fear as a tool?"
Huh. I guess he really is going a bit more noble-bright.

"I think the Earth has seen enough fear."

Well… That's a… Problem. I mean, who's my backup option? Crane? I-.
It's not like he's going to do it right now. Surely he could bear it just for the few minutes needed?

Batman's looking at me.
...Goddammit, OL... :rolleyes: Just ask Batman if he could manage to channel fear for a bit.

"Is there a problem?"

"Bit of a surprise sir, but I'll live. Um. Okay, I've got a couple of possible locations to check out. Who's available to back me up?"
Ah well, back to the plot.

"Just Eiling's squad. Having you operate out of these ships should be fine in the medium term, but bringing anyone else here risks drawing Mannheim's attention."

I nod. "I agree. That was the reason I gave for not sheltering the crew's families."
After all, it's not like you want Mannheim to smash them.

He hesitates for a moment, looking a little uncomfortable. Then he nods.

"That is the correct decision. Keeping them out of the way will be more affective than putting them in a military facility like a warship. Have you decided where you're going to start looking?"
I can tell he's not entirely comfortable with the idea, but can see the point of it...

"The Medusa Mask was in S.T.A.R. Philadelphia, so I may as well start my search in that area. It will probably be easier to investigate on my own and call the others in if there's a fight."

He shakes his head. "Don't go alone. Take at least one member of your squad with you."
Hmm... Who's he likely to run into in Philadelphia, I wonder?

I nod. Kadabra would probably be most useful, but I need him here to operate the ship. Eiling is the most disciplined, so I should leave him behind to take charge of the others. Standing Bear isn't in any mental shape to enter an Anti-Life infected region. That leaves Mahkent and Tuppence. Mahkent doesn't look like a baseline human, so if I'm going to be sneaking around then Tuppence is the one I want.

"Will do. Anything else?"
Although Tuppence is a rather tall and well-built young lady. Bit of an amazon, if you will... So she might still attract attention.

"Make sure to report what you encounter. We still don't know exactly what Mannheim or his agents are doing, and every piece of information could be vital."

"Understood, sir. I'll let you know how it goes."
Assuming there's not a leak in their ranks...

Chances all will go well? Not great. But that seems to be standard drill for OL's missions. The real question becomes what will he face in Philadelphia, and how well can he deal with it? Especially given that there's no guarantee that the Mask is still in town. Still, at least he's not getting bogged down in too many sidequests now.

Can anyone remind me when Paul told Holly this? Also, I hope Paul will be there to help Holly and Karon once this is over.
That should say 'effective'.
Thank you, corrected.
That should say 'lieutenants'.
I'm 90% sure that he's making a crack about the American English pronunciation of the word, despite the fact that, iirc, it's a word of French origin that is not supposed to be pronounced as leftenant.

Who is the Illustres talking to? Because that sure isn't Batman. That's an impostor, infiltrator, whatever you want to name it, best I could call it is a Skrull if we were in Marvel. I seriously don't understand where this "character progression" is coming from; I thought Batman already understood that his presence in Gotham had changed the criminal landscape, that supervillains were a different breed altogether, or that his demeanor and competence had already become part of the 'myth' that is Batman.

What exactly is his idea for change? To be nice and friendly? Brave and the Bold style? Batman during the day?

Ah, Batman anticipated what the "seven ring colors" would mean for him. He's a genius after all, even when he is overworked.

So the board is being set for this arc. A portion of team YJ, with or without Justice League support, could pop in during a fight. They are capable of working, but could easily fall to Mannheim personally. If Tuppence is an avenue go hurt Paul, then Tommy is going to be targeted; be certainly doesn't have a superhero bodyguard in his line of work.

Additionally, Mr Atom is likely to put some of the pieces together from Paul's upcoming reports.

What else... The Lincoln Memorial's locked portal to the heartland. The missing angels and Themyscirans. Negative Lex and his assignment to whip up anti-anti-life attitude adjusters for the big Mannheim fight. Scott Free.

What exactly is his idea for change? To be nice and friendly? Brave and the Bold style? Batman during the day?

Batman Inc time...

Start the Franchise, spread do gooders using his teaching methods maybe?

Running around as a shadow in the night doesn't work long term, as OL and Bats point out, you reach a point where they just aren't afraid anymore.

So if you can't beat the hordes of criminals with shadows anymore, so you have to back it up with hard work.

An earlier talk OL and Batman had was about him aiding more with Bruce Wayne's resources. Use his money to make the City less of a cesspool means less conventional criminal types due to economics being less harsh. Spend the money to get the cops (now that they're not sold out to the mob) resourced enough to handle not just their normal work load, but the generally low level villains he deals with. Someone like say...Firefly, is completely within the realm of conventional tech and training to deal with. And for those more difficult baddies, you solve with something like The Team. They've reaching several squads worth to divide missions to, and were still growing now that everyone is on call with this emergency, shouldn't be too hard to get a group to keep an eye on the city that keeps spitting out loonies. They could watch over the city like .... birds of prey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back