• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Alert! Construct Lanterns-

Orange hands grab me and shove me to the ground, the Construct Lanterns faces contorted into expressions of murderous wrath! I didn't even kill those-.

Considering that most of them don't emote (Gary and the Reach Thralls) that must look weird.

At least Nabu and the Karrakanian Shipmaster (Fleet Traction) must enjoy the chance for payback. Speaking of the former...

"Go on, put me on him. We can make everyone suffer as they deserve!"

Well, someone's getting a talking too when this is over.

She looks-. She looks up at the twenty foot tall purple robot-. Transformer. No, she thinks as she sees the dark-purple-and-silver face on her wings. Decepticon.
"I have almost exactly the same build as Starscream." She frowns for a moment. "At least, the build he had last time I saw him. It's been a while." She shrugs. "We're both light frame aerial models. Seekers. I don't have any sort of internal fabricator. Very few transformers do, because we don't make more of ourselves like that. My voice? I changed my default voice-" An unpleasant, screeching, grating and far lower pitched voice issues from her mouth. "-a long time ago because I wanted something unique, and I never had any reason to change it again. It's just a setting in my vocal processor; it doesn't signify anything."
"Yes, but that means more than you think it does. We don't have 'parents' or 'children'. Our strongest emotional relationships are usually with the Transformers we work with. A Transformer Team might work together for hundreds or thousands of Earth years, and get so used to each other that they can't imagine being apart. It's not really a romantic relationship in the way organics have them, but I suppose it's the nearest equivalent."
I was rereading this part when I noticed these errors. We refer to them as "Transformers" out of universe, but in-universe they refer to themselves and introduce themselves as "Cybertronians".

Reconstruction (part 17)
5th March 2013
09:00 GMT +3

"Was..? That right?"

"No it wasn't ri-!"

I pull my rogue Construct Lanterns back into my rings as I push myself up, armour flickering with orange light as it knits back together. Oh, so apparently they believed that they were murdered. It looks like the magical definition of 'murder' is a lot more subjective than I thought it was.

"Mom?! Orange Lantern, what happened?"

I use constructs to pick up Mrs. Hall's recumbent form and check-. Good, good, heart still beating and still breathing on her own. Hard to get good readings on brain activity with someone as tough as her but from what I can detect she's still functioning.

"She's alive. Took a lightning bolt to the head. I'll check that Tisiphone's gone and then take her to a hospital."

"Thank God. I'll tell Dad. Call me back with the name of the hospital?"

"Of course." I hear the click as he rings off. "Did your lessons cover aftermaths?"

"Huh?"

I bind Fury's arms and legs with kinetic neutralisation manacles. "What you're supposed to do when the fighting is over."

"Hand everything over to the police?"

I raise my right arm and point at Automator. "Check your friend isn't dead."

"Shi-."

He darts over and helps the other youth up. Since Automator's armour doesn't have any sort of anti-magic system, I can see perfectly well that he's still alive. He'll have some nasty bruises and his armour's going to need some work, but that's about it. Marcus on the other hand… Well, he's unconscious, so the shattered jaw isn't hurting him, but that's not the only injury he's carrying.

Add an extra layer of super strength bindings to Mrs. Hall. Now, strength feat-wise she's never demonstrated anything on the level of Superman -who I know for a fact can bust out of this restraint system in thirty three seconds flat, because he let me test it on him- so it should be enough even if Tisiphone comes back… But that's barring exotic effects, and she's a minor goddess so barring them from consideration would be stupid. On the other hand, I'm not going to try removing the super toughness of someone who just got lightninged in the head. She might be fine with it, or it might kill her.

"Alpha Centurion?"

Automator's helmet is off-. He's a teenager, a young teenager. I'd say something about that, but it would be a bit hypocritical. I send my own armour to subspace and march across to Marcus, politely pushing Automator aside as I send filaments into Marcus's armour. Releases are there, there and there. Send filaments inside to… Hold the parts of his face together, not technically necessary as I can just replace them but it will probably stop the other two being sick, and remove the helmet.

"Oh God. Is he dead?"

"No. Help me remove his armour, both of you."

Again, not necessary, but if they're going to make a career out of this they should get into good habits.

"Right!"

Hold his jaw in shape and then take a purple healing ray out of subspace and shoot him with it.

"Is that a healing ray?"

"Yes. You're familiar with the technology?"

Automator nods as he removes Marcus's pauldrons. "I've read up on everything you and Mister Kord have released. Ah, should his mouth be bleeding like that?"

"Bleeding from anywhere's not really ideal. See where his cuirass caved in here?"

"Ooh. Hey, Micha-." There's a quiet 'clank' as Michasomething slaps him across the cuirass before Automator can say his whole name. "Son of Zeus?"

I remove the cuirass and start-. There are a lot more scars than last time I scanned him, and it doesn't look like much care was taken in the chirurgery. I briefly consider leaving them in place, but since everyone I've made that offer to has turned it down and he's unconscious anyway I just patch him up with my ring. Arms and legs get the same treatment a moment later. The purple healing ray has mostly dealt with the concussion, so that's not so much of an issue…

"Hm."

"What happens now?"

"Automator, how good are you at power armour?"

"Oh, this isn't the best I can make. I've just got a small workshop. But I.. don't know alien technology. I can't fix his armour."

"Fair enough."

I try transmuting the Apokoliptian technology components, but they're… Resisting, still. So I settle for cutting through the virmiru components around them and just dumping them. I'll stick them on the research pile when I get back to the Watchtower. Fortunately, virmiru technology is considerably less arcane, and between the ring's database and previous scans I can restore his armour to its old functionality.

"Are you lads going to be alright if I send you home?"

Son of Zeus shakes his head. "We should stay until we see what she wakes up as. She killed people, and it's not-. She got freed from the Anti-Life at the same time as the rest of us. Tisiphone should be punished."

"True. Unfortunately, she's not actually in Fury's body, she's just connected to it."

"So where's her real body?"

"Don't know. Olympus, probably. And that's been cut off from the Earth." I shrug. "There's no real way to hold her to account now, and there might not ever be one. I'll ask if it comes up, but…"

He frowns. "That-. That's not right."

"I suggest focusing on what you can fix."

"Oh no." I turn around as Mrs. Hall blinks at the world. "She-she-."

"Yes, I'm afraid that she did. Are you yourself?"

She nods as much as her harness allows her to, and I begin the process of unlocking it.

"H-how's Alpha Centurion?"

"He's physically fine. He should wake up within the next hour."

"And the-. The others? She killed them, didn't she?"

"She did. She took the fact that they used the Anti-Life on her personally, even after it was removed."

"God, God I should have got rid of her years ago, I just-. I had it under control until… Until this."

"Well… Not much to be done, now. Why don't I take everyone home?"

Last edited:
Oh, so apparently they believed that they were murdered. It looks like the magical definition of 'murder' is a lot more subjective than I thought it was.

I mean, you did destroy their physical bodies.

That's pretty much a definition of murder.

And even if it isn't, she may be able to summon spirits that you've wronged, even if it wasn't technically murder.

"Thank"

"Don't know. Olympus, probably. And that's been cut off from the Earth." I shrug. "There's no real way to hold her to account now, and there might not ever be one

Plus even if you do capture her, her defense may use an insanity plea since she was exposed to Anti-Life, and even if she was freed, the trauma remained.

control until… Until this.

Add a " at the end.

I pull my rogue Construct Lanterns back into my rings as I push myself up, armour flickering with orange light as it knits back together. Oh, so apparently they believed that they were murdered. It looks like the magical definition of 'murder' is a lot more subjective than I thought it was.
Or your subjective idea of what is considered murder is wrong.

Or your subjective idea of what is considered murder is wrong.
If you consider "murder" the act of killing someone, then assimilation may or may not fit that description. If you consider them going from whatever they were to becoming a construct-lantern dying, then it fits. But if you simply consider it a form of transformation, like what Circe does to people when she turns them into animals, then it doesn't fit. I feel as though the Furies use a spell that allows anyone who thinks they were murdered by their target to come back to help them out as that way they can kill more people.

5th March 2013
09:00 GMT +3

"Was..? That right?"

"No it wasn't ri-!"

Alt!Nabu's just salty because he can't go on a killing spree in the name of 'Order'. Still, Identity Theft is basically killing someone, OL. Consider yourself lucky that nearly all your victims have deserved it.

"Mom?! Orange Lantern, what happened?"

I use constructs to pick up Mrs. Hall's recumbent form and check-. Good, good, heart still beating and still breathing on her own. Hard to get good reading on brain activity with someone as tough as her but from what I can detect she's still functioning.
Hopefully at a slower rate than her controlled state. Since I doubt even Tisiphone could maintain her hold after a Thunderbolt upside the head.

"She's alive. Took a lightning bolt to the head. I'll check that Tisiphone's gone and then take her to a hospital."

"Thank God. I'll tell Dad. Call me back with the name of the hospital?"
Ideally one equipped to handle superhumanly tough and strong physiologies. I remember a storyline with the Avengers having to try to perform surgery on Luke Cage. Turns out bullet-resistant skin is equally proof against scalpels...

"Of course." I hear the click as he rings off. "Did your lessons cover aftermaths?"

"Huh?"
Honestly, these young guys strike me as having been fresh rookies when the Anti-Life happened. So they'd probably have been fielded with people who actually knew how to do this stuff...

I bind Fury's arms and legs with kinetic neutralisation manacles. "What you're supposed to do when the fighting is over."

"Hand everything over to the police?"
...Well, I suppose he's not wrong. Just... Incomplete.

I raise my right arm and point at Automator. "Check your friend isn't dead."

"Shi-."
Language!

He darts over and helps the other youth up. Since Automator's armour doesn't have any sort of anti-magic system, I can see perfectly well that he's still alive. He'll have some nasty bruises and his armour's going to need some work, but that's about it. Marcus on the other hand… Well, he's unconscious, so the shattered jaw isn't hurting him, but that's not the only injury he's carrying.
No doubt keeping his slaves alive wasn't a priority for Mannheim.

Add an extra layer of super strength bindings to Mrs. Hall. Now, strength feat-wise she's never demonstrated anything on the level of Superman -who I know for a fact can bust out of this restraint system in thirty three seconds flat, because he let me test it on him- so it should be enough even if Tisiphone comes back… But that's barring exotic effects, and she's a minor goddess so barring them from consideration would be stupid. On the other hand, I'm not going to try removing the super toughness of someone who just got lightninged in the head. She might be fine with it, or it might kill her.
Maybe add some arcane chains, just in case?

"Alpha Centurion?"

Automator's helmet is off-. He's a teenager, a young teenager. I'd say something about that, but it would be a bit hypocritical. I send my own armour to subspace and march across to Marcus, politely pushing Automator aside as I send filaments into Marcus's armour. Releases are there, there and there. Send filaments inside to… Hold the parts of his face together, not technically necessary as I can just replace them but it will probably stop the other two being sick, and remove the helmet.
...Yes, evidently the Alliance didn't mind recruiting younger capes if they were halfway powerful, I see. Good of you to consider the other lads' feeling, though.

"Oh God. Is he dead?"

"No. Help me remove his armour, both of you."
At this point, he might well wish he were... If he were awake.

Again, not necessary, but if they're going to make a career out of this they should get into good habits.

"Right!"
As long as they don't make any injuries worse by doing so. Sometimes stuff like armour is the only thing holding together someone's bits after a hit like that.

Hold his jaw in shape and then take a purple healing ray out of subspace and shoot him with it.

"Is that a healing ray?"
Ah, good eye, rookie. That'd be the tech hero, huh?

"Yes. You're familiar with the technology?"

Automator nods as he removes Marcus's pauldrons. "I've read up on everything you and Mister Kord have released. Ah, should his mouth be bleeding like that?"
To be fair, for a tinker-type cape, such things can be as exciting as, well... :oops: What else would get a teenage boy excited?

"Bleeding from anywhere's not really ideal. See where his cuirass caved in here?"

"Ooh. Hey, Micha-." There's a quiet 'clank' as Michasomething slaps him across the cuirass before Automator can say his whole name. "Son of Zeus?"
Ah, still getting used to using the 'made-up names' huh? Don't worry, even OL took time to get the hang of it.

I remove the cuirass and start-. There are a lot more scars than last time I scanned him, and it doesn't look like much care was taken in the chirurgery. I briefly consider leaving them in place, but since everyone I've made that offer to has turned it down and he's unconscious anyway I just patch him with up my ring. Arms and legs get the same treatment a moment later. The purple healing ray has mostly dealt with the concussion, so that's not so much of an issue…
If they were as bad as it sounds, they may well have been inhibiting his mobility. Scar tissue isn't as flexible as normal skin, after all.

"Hm."

"What happens now?"
Whatever happens, at least you two don't have to worry too much, as the more senior heroes will handle the tricky stuff.

"Automator, how good are you at power armour?"

"Oh, this isn't the best I can make. I've just got a small workshop. But I.. don't know alien technology. I can't fix his armour."
Huh. I bet he signed up as much as for access to better working facilities as for the heroic drive...

"Fair enough."

I try transmuting the Apokoliptian technology components, but they're… Resisting, still. So I settle for cutting through the virmiru components around them and just dumping them. I'll stick them on the research pile when I get back to the Watchtower. Fortunately, virmiru technology is considerably less arcane, and between the ring's database and previous scans I can restore his armour to its old functionality.
And I doubt he'd want to have the Apokaliptian stuff around as a reminder of things... So, bonus?

"Are you lads going to be alright if I send you home?"

Son of Zeus shakes his head. "We should stay until we see what she wakes up as. She killed people, and it's not-. She got freed from the Anti-Life at the same time as the rest of us. Tisiphone should be punished."
And if Tissy is still in residence, she might need another hit or two to calm down.

"True. Unfortunately, she's not actually in Fury's body, she's just connected to it."

"So where's her real body?"
...Good question. And, more interestingly, if it's not on-planet, how did she manage to maintain the connection to Fury if Olympus is sealed away?

"Don't know. Olympus, probably. And that's been cut off from the Earth." I shrug. "There's no real way to hold her to account now, and there might not ever be one. I'll ask if it comes up, but…"

He frowns. "That-. That's not right."
And it would likely fall to Hephaestean to administer any punishments to her. Being her boss and all, more or less.

"I suggest focusing on what you can fix."

"Oh no." I turn around as Mrs. Hall blinks at the world. "She-she-."
Ah, good, the evil rage beast isn't in residence. That's one less worry to deal with.

"Yes, I'm afraid that she did. Are you yourself?"

She nods as much as her harness allows her to, and I begin the process of unlocking it.
Well, I doubt Tissy could put on any kind of acting, so it's a safe bet this is Lyta Hall once more.

"H-how's Alpha Centurion?"

"He's physically fine. He should wake up within the next hour."
Probably with a bit of a headache, real or imagined, and questions about many things.

"And the-. The others? She killed them, didn't she?"

"She did. She took the fact that they used the Anti-Life on her personally, even after it was removed."
So she has some idea of what happened... I can but hope those memories aren't shared in detail between host and rider.

"God, God I should have got rid of her years ago, I just-. I had it under control until… Until this."

"Well… Not much to be done, now. Why don't I take everyone home?"
And get the lady reunited with her husband and son before she gets too focused on her rider's actions...

Well, that little diversion is done. Little more clean-up of the details, and OL should be able to get back on track. Since he still has a lot to do with all the repairs and logistics that need doing. Surprised Mister Atom or someone hasn't been bugging him for updates yet. I guess now that the immediate triage is done, they can afford to take longer on this task or that.

If you consider "murder" the act of killing someone, then assimilation may or may not fit that description. If you consider them going from whatever they were to becoming a construct-lantern dying, then it fits. But if you simply consider it a form of transformation, like what Circe does to people when she turns them into animals, then it doesn't fit. I feel as though the Furies use a spell that allows anyone who thinks they were murdered by their target to come back to help them out as that way they can kill more people.
Murdering or being Murdered leaves both a mark on the soul, and a connection between the murderer and murderee in DC/Hellblazer.

So my guess? It's just a case of reality not matching up with Paul's mental rules lawyering.

Murdering or being Murdered leaves both a mark on the soul, and a connection between the murderer and murderee in DC/Hellblazer.

So my guess? It's just a case of reality not matching up with Paul's mental rules lawyering.
What's to say Tisiphone isn't the one rules lawyering? She's already doing it by going after the Alliance members under the belief that being affected by the Anti-Life doesn't mean they are exempt from being murdered by her.

Alt!Nabu's just salty because he can't go on a killing spree in the name of 'Order

I don't think he cares about Order anymore.

Consider yourself lucky that nearly all your victims have deserved it.

Ehh, I wouldn't go that far.

Some of the ones he assimilated were slaves of the Reach.

Heck, it can be argued that even Nabu here doesn't deserve it.

Remember the guy was driven insane after watching his planet get turned into Hell 2.0, anyone he cared about was either dead, in Hell, or had been turned into a bloodthirsty monster.

That or he was also corrupted with demon magic himself.

No doubt keeping his slaves alive wasn't a priority for Mannheim.

It may have been.

Remember, they were his troops and any time he lost one he may have also lost a bit of metaphysical power, so making sure they lived may have been a priority.

Or if it wasn't that then he may have tried to keep the more useful ones alive.

Good question. And, more interestingly, if it's not on-planet, how did she manage to maintain the connection to Fury if Olympus is sealed away?

Billy seemed to be able to maintain his connection to his Olympian patrons, so it's possible for the Fury to also do it.

Heck, she may not even be on Olympus but is still inside Lyta, or she's in some pocket dimension or whatever.

What's to say Tisiphone isn't the one rules lawyering? She's already doing it by going after the Alliance members under the belief that being affected by the Anti-Life doesn't mean they are exempt from being murdered by her.
But that was Paul rules lawyering to try and claim they were not responsible for their actions.

Mind, that argument was what I would consider a bit of a failure on Zoats part. Since the Greek Gods have never considered being tricked into doing a thing, to be an excuse for the act. So the fact that Tisiphone even tried to counter Paul's rules lawyering with her own came off odd.

Tisiphone is just being a bitch. She's venting against the Justifiers because she can't deal with being subjected to the Anti-Life, she has no actual justification.

I'm worried about what's going on with Olympus and the whole pantheon getting disconnected, but she definitely deserves some time in Tartarus after that issue resolves. Honestly, Illustres, a bit more empathy would not be amiss with Ms. Hall and the others, considering what happened. Instead of "Oh well, nothing to do, moving on".

I was rereading this part when I noticed these errors. We refer to them as "Transformers" out of universe, but in-universe they refer to themselves and introduce themselves as "Cybertronians".
Hm.

The first one is June Darby's point of view. I'm not sure what she calls them collectively, or if she knows enough about their history to use the 'correct' word. I don't remember the term 'cybertronian' being used much in Transformers: Prime, and I think it was a used to refer to their civilisation and not their species. I think I'll change it to Autobot, as she might assume that one of them would rescue her.

The second one, Slipstream could use the word 'Cybertronians' to refer to species from Cybertron in genereal, so I'll change that.

The third one, I'll just delete it.
"Thank"
Add a " at the end.
him up my ring. -> him up with my ring.
Thank you, corrected.

Last edited:
"Not very." Ratchet looks bemused. "That quantity seems… Somewhat excessive for a single biosphere. Though as you imply, even one close-proximity detonation would utterly atomise any transformer unfortunate enough to be hit."
"But you remember it. The aim of a Decepticon is not just to be a Decepticon; that's a circular definition. It is to achieve freedom for all the transformers the old High Council oppressed. To cast them down and ensure that their kind can never regain power. Isn't it?"
"If there was, we would have already carried it out. Optimus transferred all of the sparks contained in the Allspark into the Matrix of Leadership in order to protect them from Unicron. Then he-." Ratchet blinks, his optics momentarily unfocusing. "The only way to return the sparks of every transformer who had ever lived was to enter the Well physically."
"Is there..?" The human looks up at the ceiling, perhaps looking for guidance in the stars. "Is there some way to make a new one? Or otherwise resurrect a dead transformer?"
Ratchet shakes his head. "The first recorded bearer of the Matrix of Leadership is Prima Prime, the first transformer created by Primus. It may well be that it was created by Primus." He thinks for a moment. "We could.. disarm Shockwave and escort him to the Well of All Sparks. Primus might decide to restore him to his former self."
The human lowers his gaze to Ratchet, not looking particularly hopeful. "Do any transformers know magic?"
"Okay. Are there transformers who can reliably use technology you don't understand?"
"I'm not criticising what you did. But given how much contact he's had with transformers and cybertronian technology… My guess is that Agent Fowler's superiors are going to want to recruit him. And that he's going to jump at the opportunity, because despite the danger he enjoyed the time he spent with you. And.. that's the only way he might get to see you again. And while Fowler has asked about using the implants to interact with MECH's technology, I… Think we both know which piece of cybertronian technology Jack wants to interface with."
"I haven't heard that she died." She winces slightly at the memory. "When the Decepticons attacked Iacon we weren't exactly overburdened with spare parts. It doesn't take much glass gas to take a transformer's plating off."
He slides the key into the slot and then backs away as the access point starts glowing. Okay, clear damage there and there, but it looks like it has some sort of auto-repair system. The strange upright section that served as the download point pulled itself upright to a height convenient for a transformer. Behind it, a metal iris opens in the ground and geometric holograms of brilliant blue and white light spring out of it.
Can he? It's not exactly obvious, and transformer technology was designed for people a whole lot bigger than-.
"I just realised. Alpha Trion, the transformer who sent all those archive pods to Earth, was chief archivist of Iacon, right?" Jack nods. "And he was Orion Pax's boss. We're below Kaon, on the other side of the planet from Iacon. Bosses don't fetch and carry for themselves. Which means that whenever he needed something from what is basically Primus's own memory banks, he'd have sent Orion. And Orion would have driven half way around the planet, snuck into Kaon because the location of the entrance is supposed to be a secret, dealt with this stupid interface it has instead of a normal console, then snuck out again and driven back halfway around the planet back to Iacon."
"Yes, Slipstream was like that when we first met. Transformers have been fighting for a very long time, and sometimes that means they get tunnel vision. They forget that there are other things they can do. She probably finds your life fascinating because it's been so long since she came into contact with anything outside fighting."
"Yes. She's not going to learn how to do things other than fighting from a bunch of other transformer soldiers. Honestly, that's probably the best thing you can do for her."
"Don't worry, I can just about remember being your age. The first thing you have to remember is that transformers don't reproduce like we do. And most of them don't know how that works."
"My implants allow us to plug our minds into each other. Transformers are aliens with a very different mental setup to us. When she flies, it's-. I can feel it like she feels it, the motion of air over her wings, her tracking obstacles and targets and I'm aware of it all in the same way that she's aware of it. It's incredible, really. I've flown in planes before but it doesn't compare at all."
"And in return… You know that transformers live off energon?" Jack nods. "They've always lived off energon. But for a human, that would be like eating by injecting fresh blood into your arteries. They have almost no sense of taste, and what they have doesn't have the same emotional component that human eating does."
"Can't have sex?" Jack winces, but awkwardly nods. "Not exactly. She doesn't have the parts, because transformers don't reproduce like that. There's some things you can't do with a giant robot. But since I do have the parts, and our bond lets her feel what I feel, and since even though she's a lot bigger than me her proprioception is extremely good, we… Make do."
In a flash of disquieting insight Knock Out understands what Paul is talking about regarding transformers having narrow horizons.
"Why do you want to know?" He smiles sarcastically. "Planning on adding me to your transformer harem?"
"No. You said 'harem'. A transformer would usually say 'team' or 'squad'." Scrap. "Transformers don't have a concept of a harem because-."
"-and spare parts became harder to come by, and I got used to cannibalising dead transformers-"
"Vehicons were a product of rationing, weren't they? Megatron needed warriors in the field and workers in the mines, but he didn't have enough energon to suppose a larger population of regular transformers…"
"If you want test cadavers, I'm sure that we can come to terms. Human governments want transformers willing to explain transformer technology to them."
And isn't that an interesting proposition. No more road races for him. No, he could own his own racetrack, a proper course designed to test the participants to their limits. But the only other transformer would be Slipstream, and she wouldn't be changing to a ground-based altmode any time soon. Unless he could dig them up from somewhere like Skyquake-. No, that wasn't going to happen.
"It is when you can pay humans to throw manpower at it. Sure, one human is never going to match a vehicon, but hundreds with the right equipment will match the peak output the Decepticons managed." Hm. Could be true. "But what about inviting other transformers?"
"Anyone who doesn't want to live on Cybertron. Team Prime are going to be putting this place back together for a very long time. Sure, I can see some transformers being interested in that, but Decepticons… Well, most Decepticons are used to living violent lives, and we've got Unicron's internal systems to pacify. If it's company you want then I doubt you'll have trouble finding takers."
"The Last Autobot was created as a failsafe in case transformers were ever near extinction and Unicron woke up with no one left to fight him. Among other things, he is supposed to have the ability to raise transformers from the dead."
"Any transformer. Actually, he might be able to resurrect any Primus-derived species, Vector Sigma wasn't clear."
Here are the other corrections that should say 'Cybertronian'.

believed that they were murdered. It looks like the magical definition of 'murder' is a lot more subjective than I thought it was.
Well they aren't exactly living their best lives right now are they? Could argue they are in purgatory right now.

Accounting (part 4)
Earth 12

21st September 2039
14:54 GMT -5

"Uh-h-h-huh."

Silly old fool.

I wince as I try clearing my throat, despite knowing perfectly well that there's no obstruction. This is what happens when you overdo it. You know it does, it does every time, but rather than bring a bodyguard you just have to do it yourself.

And once again, I…

"Mister Wynne?" The lawyer -Steven Carmichaels- looks at me solicitously. "Would you like a glass of water?"

"No, no, it's…" I shake my head, looking over to the police officers guarding the ward where Dr. Cuvier is recovering from his overdose. "An interesting story, actually."

"Oh?" He smiles like the perfect corporate relations lawyer that he is. He isn't forty and yet he's the junior partner who gets sent out when I get 'creative'. One of the senior partners will handle the case, but the initial fieldwork doesn't warrant them turning up in person. On the other hand, I'm a significant enough part of the firm's income to get someone who's in the ascendancy. "Do tell."

"You're probably too young to remember thalidomide. It was-."

"Oh, no, Mister Wynne. I wrote a paper on it in college. From the point of view of class action law."

"Oh, very good. Did you go into the human trials they did before it was cleared for commercial use?"

"Not in detail, no. I know they would have had to do some-."

"They did, they did." I nod. "But because the testing was done on volunteers, it was skewed towards the sort of people who would volunteer for medical trials. Which resulted in the test batch being entirely comprised of male medical students. For a drug they wanted to use to fight morning sickness in pregnant women."

"Je-sus."

"Didn't test it on a single pregnant woman. Hm." I look aside as the images of some of the drug's first and second wave victims pass through my mind. "Sample bias. You draw conclusions from… Your tests, and it turns out that there's another set that behaves differently in the same situation."

I reach up with my right hand to feel my scar again. Yes, still there.

"When I got into the business of working with recovering supervillains, I made a point of reading up on psychological literature relating to… Extreme personalities. So that I could recognise warning signs, people who… Could learn to fit in, but couldn't properly be rehabilitated. Unfortunately, the sample of the general population which the literature covered had some fairly large holes. Psychopaths who come to the attention of the police are overwhelmingly male, so the literature tends to cover their behaviours. And as anyone who's studied autism can tell you, disorders can manifest very differently in men and women."

I sigh.

"I didn't recognise the warning signs, so I got a knife in my throat. Bloody thing actually went through one side and out the others. Sheer luck that it didn't hit anything vital, but the scar tissue still causes a few issues."

"You've… Certainly had an interesting life. What..? Happened to-? Her?"

"Ms. Smith was arrested, sent to a secure hospital… Someone broke her out eventually, and she turned up dead a few weeks after that. Not due to one of my employees, in case you were wondering."

"Mister Wynne, I'm a lawyer. As far as I'm concerned, even if it was one of your employees, it wasn't one of your employees."

"You'll go far with that-" A police sergeant steps out of the ward and gestures for us to enter. "-attitude."

We rise from our seats and walk inside. Dr. Cuvier is laying in bed, his face… Since they 'cured' him, he doesn't look quite like his publicity pictures. His face is a little rounder, his skin a little darker and his eyes actually look normal.

He must hate it.

"Mister Wynne." He pulls on his right arm, handcuffs rattling where they're clamped around the bed rail. "I wasn't expecting… I didn't think you were interested in splicing."

Mr. Carmichaels raises a hand. "One moment, doctor." He turns around and sticks his head out of the door. "Since I am now meeting with my client, this conversation is covered by attorney-client confidentiality. I understand that you need to stay on guard duty, but nothing you hear can be used in evidence."

He pulls his head back in and firmly closes the door. I put my case down on a side table and open it, pulling out a sonic barrier. Set it up.. and on… There, that should do it.

Dr. Cuvier frowns faintly as I sit down next to him. "I'm a little surprised that you're interested in supporting me. You've had access to splicing technology for decades, yet you never used it."

"Barbara would have hated it if I had. She found her own transformation quite traumatic, the blend of instincts, the dysphoria… And I'm not sure how well my body would cope with a radical physical transformation at my age."

Dr. Cuvier nods. "While we're on the subject, I always wondered why you never employed Doctor Emile Dorian-."

I snort. "Why I didn't offer the cat-splicing obsessive a job? That was because of the hundreds of disturbingly creepy letters he sent Barbara, before and after she and I were married."

"Oh."

"I mean, I thought that she looked good as Cheetah too, but I knew when to back off. But… But the reason why I'm-. We're here."

"Yes."

"I was pleased to see that your company developed a splicing technique that was properly patentable. Barbara only tolerated researching strictly medical applications, but-."

"But the whole point is to transcend human limits! I feel so-. Slow like this. Do you think they'll let me splice myself back to… Me, before the trial?"

"No." I shake my head. "Even if you could -and after what happened you need to be seen by specialists before you even think of splicing again- the optics would be terrible."

He looks away, then nods. "Fine. For now."

"So, broadly, this is how we're going to approach this. Splicing using your technique is safe. A small number of people carried out crimes after being spliced, but they represent a small minority of the total number of people who used the technology, and since they were overwhelmingly from demographic groups disproportionately inclined to commit crimes relative to the general population it's hardly surprising that the crime rate was similarly elevated."

He nods cautiously. There's actually a little more to it than that. The sort of people who actually want to alter their bodies like that are… Well, usually people unhappy in their own skins. People alienated from their own lives, and projecting that onto their own bodies. And those are just the sort of people to get completely fixated on their 'true' bodies. Really, Dr. Cuvier's biological screening process was good but he did very little psychological screening at all, and that would have become a problem eventually whatever else happened. Just look at the D&D satanic panic for an example of what can happen when a mentally ill person gets hold of a perfectly harmless product and people decide to blame the set-dressing.

"The attack on the District Attorney was an impulsive act carried out by some of your supporters after they found out that he would be illegally and immorally forcing them to revert. He unlawfully ordered attacks on them first. When you injected Batman you used the first weapon that came to hand on someone who broke into your office, and anything that happened as a result was his fault. You went into hiding because the District Attorney was clearly acting unlawfully against you and you feared for your safety, and your final rampage happened after Batman forcibly injected you contrary to good practice when using splicing serums."

He nods slowly. "Do you think that will work?"

Mr. Carmichaels shakes his head. "No. Not in Gotham. We're going to have to take this to a higher level to get the individual autonomy issues settled. The State Supreme Court, or perhaps the Federal Supreme Court. Realistically, we should be able to get you released on bail inside a week or two, but a final verdict could take up to five years. Depending on whether or not the Supreme Court agrees to hear the issues involved."

"Are you handling the cases of my employees as well?"

I nod, and he relaxes slightly.

"Then I will have to be patient."

Last edited:
wasn't one of your employees.

Add a " at the end.

"The attack on the District Attorney was an impulsive act carried out by some of your supporters after they found out that he would be illegally and immorally forcing them to revert. He unlawfully ordered attacks on them first. When you injected Batman you used the first weapon that came to hand on someone who broke into your office, and anything that happened as a result was his fault. You went into hiding because the District Attorney was clearly acting unlawfully against you and you feared for your safety, and your final rampage happened after Batman forcibly injected you contrary to good practice when using splicing serums

Let's hope this one doesn't try to kill you.

Mr. Carmichaels shakes his head. "No. Not in Gotham

Not surprising since it's usually some psychopath doing the deed, so it wouldn't hold up.

Depending on whether or not the Supreme Court agrees to hear the issues involved."

I'm now imagining them groaning in misery when they hear they have to work on a case from Gotham.

Hmm, figured there would be more feeling out the not so good doctor before dictating their plans moving forwards. but story telling needs the odd case of brevity to move forwards with things. Does feel like a bit of a jump to walk over the guy's life like this, but I guess this paul made up his mind before he got on the bus.

As for the name drop, Emile Dorian was a research partner for Langstrom AKA Man-Bat, the other animal splicer of the DC animated universe. He did his own experiments was behind trying to make Catwoman's name a bit more Literal. So I could see the issue having that nut around.

Mr. Carmichaels raises a hand. "One moment, doctor." He turns around and sticks his head out of the door. "Since I am now meeting with my client, this conversation is covered by attorney-client confidentiality. I understand that you need to stay on guard duty, but nothing you hear can be used in evidence."
Attorney-Client Privilege is typically presumed waived if the attorney and client willing communicate in a place or via means that lack privacy. Though in a setting like a private discussion room in police custody, this statement to the guards wouldn't need to be said.

That said, I'm fairly certain that even if Mr. Wynne is funding the lawsuit, his presence alone is enough to waive Attorney-Client Privilege, regardless of the guards and what they do or do not hear.

Hmm, figured there would be more feeling out the not so good doctor before dictating their plans moving forwards. but story telling needs the odd case of brevity to move forwards with things. Does feel like a bit of a jump to walk over the guy's life like this, but I guess this paul made up his mind before he got on the bus.
As for the name drop, Emile Dorian was a research partner for Langstrom AKA Man-Bat, the other animal splicer of the DC animated universe. He did his own experiments was behind trying to make Catwoman's name a bit more Literal. So I could see the issue having that nut around.

A brilliant but very disturbed man, Personally I'd like to see him used by Waller or a group like Cadmus to create Super functionaries that are like the DCAUs version of Cheetah only more based on Lions since they are the only Feline that hunts in groups regularly and about the only Big Cat that is a social animal.

Earth 12

21st September 2039
14:54 GMT -5

"Uh-h-h-huh."

Silly old fool.
Ah, back to Peter and his little legal situation. And evidently he's not in the best of physical shape these days, I see. An old knife-related neck injury, if I remember the previous snippet's implications right. Plus the inevitable issues of growing older.

I wince as I try clearing my throat, despite knowing perfectly well that there's no obstruction. This is what happens when you overdo it. You know it does, it does every time, but rather than bring a bodyguard you just have to do it yourself.

And once again, I…
A psychosomatic reaction, I see. Triggered by the stress of the fighting, and the use of the Gravity Rod?

"Mister Wynne?" The lawyer -Steven Carmichaels- looks at me solicitously. "Would you like a glass of water?"

"No, No, it's…" I shake my head, looking over to the police officers guarding the ward where Dr. Cuvier is recovering from his overdose. "An interesting story, actually."
I mean, if he has a scar, it'd probably be fairly visible even with the weird necklines of the 'Beyond' era's fashion.

"Oh?" He smiles like the perfect corporate relations lawyer that he is. He isn't forty and yet he's the junior partner who gets sent out when I get 'creative'. One of the senior partners will handle the case, but the initial fieldwork doesn't warrant them turning up in person. On the other hand, I'm a significant enough part of the firm's income to get someone who's in the ascendancy. "Do tell."

"You're probably too young to remember thalidomide. It was-."
Man, forty years old, probably with the firm for over fifteen, and he's still the one getting sent out on work too sensitive for the interns, huh?

"Oh, no, Mister Wynne. I wrote a paper on it in college. From the point of view of class action law."

"Oh, very good. Did you go into the human trials they did before it was cleared for commercial use?"
Ooh, yes. That was a whole mess of stupidity. Especially the assumptions concerning placental transfer prevalent at the time...

"Not it detail, no. I know they would have had to do some-."

"They did, they did." I nod. "But because the testing was done on volunteers, it was skewed towards the sort of people who would volunteer for medical trials. Which resulted in the test batch being entirely comprised of male medical students. For a drug they wanted to use to fight morning sickness in pregnant women."
...To be fair, I can't imagine they had ladies lining up to join the trials.

"Je-sus."

"Didn't test it on a single pregnant woman. Hm." I look aside as the images of some of the drug's first and second wave victims pass through my mind. "Sample bias. You draw conclusions from… Your tests, and it turns out that there's another set that behaves differently in the same situation."
On the upside, they definitely learned not to make that assumption again, for the most part.

I reach up with my right hand to feel my scar again. Yes, still there.

"When I got into the business of working with recovering supervillains, I made a point of reading up on psychological literature relating to… Extreme personalities. So that I could recognise warning signs, people who… Could learn to fit in, but couldn't properly be rehabilitated. Unfortunately, the sample of the general population which the literature covered had some fairly large holes. Psychopaths who come to the attention of the police are overwhelmingly male, so the literature tends to cover their behaviours. And as anyone who's studied autism can tell you, disorders can manifest very differently in men and women."
And the lady super-crooks can be far more vicious than the men.

I sigh.

"I didn't recognise the warning signs, so I got a knife in my throat. Bloody thing actually went through one side and out the others. Sheer luck that it didn't hit anything vital, but the scar tissue still causes a few issues."
Surprised that none of your scientists had devised a more potent healing treatment. Or had they, and that's one of the reasons you don't sound like a grinding motor when you talk? Or can talk at all.

"You've… Certainly had an interesting life. What..? Happened to-? Her?"

"Ms. Smith was arrested, sent to a secure hospital… Someone broke her out eventually, and she turned up dead a few weeks after that. Not due to one of my employees, in case you were wondering."
...Okay, yeah, there was no way she was going to ever be stable, with that history.

"Mister Wynne, I'm a lawyer. As far as I'm concerned, even if it was one of your employees, it wasn't one of your employees.

"You'll go far with that-" A police sergeant steps out of the ward and gestures for us to enter. "-attitude."
Ah, time for the idle chit-chat to make way for business.

We rise from our seats and walk inside. Dr. Cuvier is laying in bed, his face… Since they 'cured' him, he doesn't look quite like his publicity pictures. His face is a little rounder, his skin a little darker and his eyes actually look normal.

He must hate it.
To be fair, black sclerae in a human generally never signify anything good. And look damn creepy to boot. Does he still have the tiny pencilled-on looking moustache? :p

"Mister Wynne." He pulls on his right arm, handcuffs rattling where they're clamped around the bed rail. "I wasn't expecting… I didn't think you were interested in splicing."

Ah, covering his arse like the professional he is. He'll go far.

He pulls his head back in and firmly closes the door. I put my case down on a side table and open it, pulling out a sonic barrier. Set it up.. and on… There, that should do it.

Dr. Cuvier frowns faintly as I sit down next to him. "I'm a little surprised that you're interested in supporting me. You've had access to splicing technology for decades, yet you never used it."
And especially given the way Cuvier was misusing it. Basically feeding a weird-ass fashion trend, if a common Cyberpunk one...

"Barbara would have hated it if I had. She found her own transformation quite traumatic, the blend of instincts, the dysphoria… And I'm not sure how well my body would cope with a radical physical transformation at my age."

Dr. Cuvier nods. "While we're on the subject, I always wondered why you never employed Doctor Emile Dorian-."
Oh, him. o_O Yes, I can imagine him being unpopular in Peter's view.

I snort. "Why I didn't offer the cat-splicing obsessive a job? That was because of the hundreds of disturbingly creepy letters he sent Barbara, before and after she and I were married."

"Oh."
Basically, not someone you should ever trust to work with gene-modding technology. It'd be like putting the fox in charge of the henhouse.

"I mean, I thought that she looked good as Cheetah too, but I knew when to back off. But… But the reason why I'm-. We're here."

"Yes."
Yeah, catgirls are rarely unattractive, in fiction at least. Though when they aren't... The uncanny valley hits hard.

"I was pleased to see that your company developed a splicing technique that was properly patentable. Barbara only tolerated researching strictly medical applications, but-."

"But the whole point is to transcend human limits! I feel so-. Slow like this. Do you think they'll let me splice myself back to… Me, before the trial?"
Oh, hell no. That'd be like giving an addict a free shot.

"No." I shake my head. "Even if you could -and after what happened you need to be seen by specialists before you even think of splicing again- the optics would be terrible."

He looks away, then nods. "Fine. For now."
Just as long as he doesn't overdo it when he finally can.

"So, broadly, this is how we're going to approach this. Splicing using your technique is safe. A small number of people carried out crimes after being spliced, but they represent a small minority of the total number of people who used the technology, and since they were overwhelmingly from demographic groups disproportionally inclined to commit crimes relative to the general population it's hardly surprising that the crime rate was similarly elevated."
...Bit iffy, putting the blame on specific 'cultural' groups. Though from what I understand the system was safe enough if you didn't go overboard.

He nods cautiously. There's actually a little more to it than that. The sort of people who actually want to alter their bodies like that are… Well, usually people unhappy in their own skins. People alienated from their own lives, and projecting that onto their own bodies. And those are just the sort of people to get completely fixated on their 'true' bodies. Really, Dr. Cuvier's biological screening process was good but he did very little psychological screening at all, and that would have become a problem eventually whatever else happened. Just look at the D&D satanic panic for an example of what can happen when a mentally ill person gets hold of a perfectly harmless product and people decide to blame the set-dressing.
This is why I like Cyberpunk's approach to it, as linked above. That and the other forms of biosculpting they can do. Imagine having a 'quick-change' mount for your groin, if you know what I mean? Since it is a setting where the core rulebook's cybernetic mods include fake penises and vaginas. :confused:

"The attack on the District Attorney was an impulsive act carried out by some of your supporters after they found out that he would be illegally and immorally forcing them to revert. He unlawfully ordered attacks on them first. When you injected Batman you used the first weapon that came to hand on someone who broke into your office, and anything that happened as a result was his fault. You went into hiding because the District Attorney was clearly acting unlawfully against you and you feared for your safety, and your final rampage happened after Batman forcibly injected you contrary to good practice when using splicing serums."
...A heavily biased version of the episode's events, but ironically mostly truthful... From a certain point of view.

Mr. Carmichaels shakes his head. "No. Not in Gotham. We're going to have to take this to a higher level to get the individual autonomy issues settled. The State Supreme Court, or perhaps the Federal Supreme Court. Realistically, we should be able to get you released on bail inside a week or two, but a final verdict could take up to five years. Depending on whether or not the Supreme Court agrees to hear the issues involved."
Admittedly, given the kind of corporate interests involved, that may be a walkover. Just a matter of getting there.

"Are you handling the cases of my employees as well?"

I nod, and he relaxes slightly.

"Then I will have to be patient."
Though I suspect they'll end up having to leave Gotham anyway...

Quite an unusual course of affairs for an Alt~Paul, but Peter Wynne has never really been the most conventional of alternates. He was never a hero to begin with, after all, and while some may see him as a villain in all this... Others may consider his actions proper or just. Entirely appropriate for a cyberpunk setting like 'Batman Beyond'...

"Not it detail, no. I know they would have had to do some-."

I hope we'll eventually get to see Waller's opinion of Peter Wynne.
I could see them as more friendly rivals.

Getting as many of the supervillains to adjust and handle things well rather than causing chaos means that there is less work for her there.

Especially with him being inside the system as it were. He's not beating people up in alleys or similar.

Thank you, corrected.
...Bit iffy, putting the blame on specific 'cultural' groups.
Let's not pretend that we don't know who commits most violent crime.

It's young men. In literally every country and culture in the world.
Entirely appropriate for a cyberpunk setting like 'Batman Beyond'...
Batman of the Future. I'm British, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back