• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

So my guess, the ring did revert him back bioloically, but the sheer experience has jsut messed him up something fierce. Whihc if this IS Tangseid would mske sense because he acted a bit too, i think clinical is the word. Like he had the same mannerisms but like he still wasnt at the Tangseid kind of mindeset fully yet.

But the 10% is still worrying.
The other 10% is all Paul.

So my guess, the ring did revert him back bioloically, but the sheer experience has jsut messed him up something fierce. Whihc if this IS Tangseid would mske sense because he acted a bit too, i think clinical is the word. Like he had the same mannerisms but like he still wasnt at the Tangseid kind of mindeset fully yet.
I imagine that's what Jack would be like if he ever gets his soul back.

Sure thing, sport. I think you're making the right-.
Were we tricked? Were we?

I am suspicious that the personality in the ring isn't a Paul at all. Not a demon of avarice or anything, but… just like there was a universe where Superman was infected by a demon, this is one where the ring is… tainted. And WANTing mental changes at this moment is going to mindwipe this Paul and fill in the gaps with something even more Orange. And darker.

31st October 2010
16:22 GMT -5

Hang in there, sp-.

Tearitoffgetitoffgetitoff!
Somehow, I don't think Tang is in any mood to hear from the Ring AI right now. Hopefully it'll maintain the process while not being actively worn, because from the sound of it, he just forced it off his finger.

"Ah… Was that-?"

You made me do this!
And it seems his emotions are in full riot mode. He normally wouldn't direct that kind of rage at anyone...

"Ohkay, never mind."

And then the impulse is gone, and I'm shaking and shivering again and at least I haven't lost bladder control but it's only a matter of time.
...I hope your current clothes aren't the 'teleport on' type OL often used...

"Jeez, you weren't joking-"

Why did I look at her like that!?
Because your brain isn't restricting any emotional outbursts, no matter how they'd normally be kept to your subconscious.

"I'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'm-."

"No, no, it's-. I didn't think it would be this-. Were you like this when you used it?"
Man, she must nearly be panicking right now...

"Nerr-nerr-nerr-nerr-no." I try to curl up on myself, but I can't because the restraints stop me and I'm not strong enough or coordinated enough to break free. "If you break your back, you immediately lose use of your legs. If your back gets fixed, you can't suddenly walk again."

No! Why did I choose that-!
Little bit in bad taste, but it does kind of fit the situation. Certainly, she's seen the trouble her mother's been going through from rehabilitation.

"I'm sorry, that was the wrong-."

"No-. I get it. It makes sense."
At least she's being forgiving about it.

I'm crying, and my nose is running, and I didn't think to put a tissue box within arm's reach. I'm disgusting, I'm so stupid!

"Ah, do you want me to-?"
Not an actual colour, at least in this universe, but there's Disgust... And it looks like Tang is an ugly-crier.

...Might need to clear your nose, before it clogs up your throat...

"Okay, I'll just… I didn't… I didn't realise it would mess you up this.. much. Ah, do you need-?"

She goes to pick up the ring-.
Whoa, there's trouble!

"Don't touch it!"

"Ah, is that, like, 'I'm freaking out' don't touch it, or a 'that's actually dangerous' don't touch it?"
Why can't it be both? :p

"Duh, ah, second one. Touching the inner surface connects it to your brain, connects the orange light to your brain."

"And I think we've learn from this that messing around with brains is a bad idea." She picks up a pair of tongs from the top of a workbench and uses them to pick up the ring from underneath the workbench where I threw it. "Huh."
At least it didn't stop working on him, unless 'slowly revert' just meant 'take more than a picosecond'...

"Is it t-t-t-t-talking to you? Making you… See things you want-."

"You're…" She turns around. "Not exactly the best advert for orange power rings right now. And I watched Lord of the Rings."
Not the best comparison. The One Ring was actively malevolent. The Orange Ring is merely accidentally malevolent.

"It's… Not the same. The One Ring just tells you what it needs to so you'll take it to Sauron. An orange power ring can actually… Do that stuff."

She watches me for a moment, then shakes her head. "I'm good. So, do you need it?"
Probably just a little worried what she might do with functionally unlimited power... At least as she understands it, anyway.

She look huger, strong, towering over me-. Stop! Stop!

"Could… Reverse this. Can't… Focus. Could do anything. Not safe."
That's what happens when you functionally cut off one end of the Spectrum (the Positive, Cold colours of Hope, Compassion and Love) and dampen a lot of the other end (outside of Want, anyway.) Now he's drowning in what he dammed up...

"Makes sense." She puts the tong and ring down on top of the workbench. "I could get you some kleenex?"

I… Nod, rocking backwards and forwards.
Hopefully he won't need anything more than that. Like wet-wipes...

She straightens up and looks around. "Where are they?"

Oh, thank you. "I can't get ill with a power ring. You'd have to look somewhere else."
Mood swing from hell, from absolute terror of her to almost overwhelming love... He did say he'd be suffering from them.

"Ah…" She looks at the door, then back at me. "I don't think I should leave you on your own. Artemis to… Robin?"

"Robin here."
I doubt he'd want anyone else seeing him like this.

"Do you know where we keep the kleenex?"

"Ah… Kitchen?"
Maybe from now on, Tang will keep some handy in the lab...

"Anywhere closer?"

"Maybe? Where are you?"
And no doubt he's wondering why she wants tissues, and can't get them herself.

"Paul's lab. He's gotten rid of the Evil Formula, and now he's a mess."

"You talked him into that? Do I wanna ask how, or am I not old enough?"
Oi, open channel, Rob! Tang can hear you, you know.

That little SHIT! Get up and HUNT HIM DOWN! GET UP-!

Oof! Can't-. Can't move.
That's definitely a good thing. Also good that you can't break loose, or apply some super-strength to Robin...

"Kid, can you bring some kleenex to Paul's lab?"

"Mad Science Central? I dunno if-."
Heh. Maybe if you worked with him, you two could have solved your little issues with your formula (assuming that origin applies here.)

"He cured himself and he's having a mental breakdown."

"Oh. Great! I mean, I like the science, it's the mad I'm not-"
Ah, well, that does make more sense. :p

A gust of wind blows through the workshop.

"-so keen on." I squirm around so I can see him as he looks down at me. "Oh. His amygdala-. Right."
Dang, Kid's on the ball. One look and instant rough diagnosis?

"You know what's happening? Can we turn it down or something?"

"Ah, usually that kinda thing happens to… Really old people. You know how they'll just… Come out with something? Out of character? Without thinking about it?" She nods. "Right now he's gone from not being able to feel normal human emotions to not being able to block out anything." He blurs closer. "Hey, dude."
Hopefully he doesn't suffer any side effects, then. Though once they can trust him with his Ring, he can patch himself up.

He holds out the tissue box, and I grab-. Scrabble, snatch and wipe my eyes, my nose, my mouth and my chin.

"Thank you."
Interesting. Enough flexibility to reach his face, but not move much otherwise? I suppose that explains how he removed the Ring earlier.

"Gotta say, even messed up like this? You're acting more human."

"Man is something to be overcome."
Which really does sum up a lot of Alt!Pauls' issues: They're trying to overcome the innate flaws of being merely human.

"Oooor not."

I blink slowly. Everything's still-. Fuzzy. I look around and-. Irritation over things not working and it's like someone just burned my research right in front of me. Completely disproportionate, but I'm getting a slightly better handle on it.
And now that you're able to think without the Evil Formula's mental effects, I hope you're realising that yes, it was bad for you.

"I think.. I'm in a.. calm patch." I take the tissue box, pull out a single tissue and… Clean myself up a little more precisely. "Could you please cut me out of these straps?"

He glances at Artemis, but she's already pulled out a point arrow. "Okay, but-. How do we know you actually did it? Psychopaths are usually really good at manipulating people."
Good point. Though I doubt he's that good an actor.

"He's not wearing his ring. Do you really think he could fake that without it?"

"Maybe? There's drugs that-."
Don't take it personally, he was a bit crazy, after all. That suspicion's not going away anytime soon.

Artemis rolls her eyes. "Hey, Paul? Wanna catch a movie later?"

I think I can probably handle that. "Ah, yes, that sounds nice."

"Huh." Wallace steps aside as she comes forward to cut me free. "I see what you mean about the smile. It's about ninety percent less serial killer."
A definite improvement, then.

So, the painful first steps of recovery underway. It'll be a long time before the rest of the Team feel they can trust him freely, I think. Never mind what the senior heroes decide. Hell, it'd make sense if some never trusted him fully after this. After all, how can anyone know he won't do something that stupid again? And we know something does happen to make things worse. It's just a matter of what...

Which really does sum up a lot of Alt!Pauls' issues: They're trying to overcome the innate flaws of being merely human.

It's kinda weird that of the two main Pauls' we see most often, paragon and renegade, the renegade is the more human one even though he's not human anymore.

After all, how can anyone know he won't do something that stupid again?

Yeah.

We like to insult Tangseid post serum for his decisions, gut he was already kinda stupid before he took it.

The guy took a serum before he actually examined what it would do to a human body by actually studying a human body and only relied on data that was taken decades ago when science wasn't as advanced.

And let's not forget that the serum also changed the mental state of the user, so he got lucky that he could still use the ring since if it changed his behavior then there's a chance he couldn't use the ring.

He'd basically gain the power to punch through a brick wall, but he'd lose access to a tool that could potentially let him move planets.

And we know something does happen to make things worse. It's just a matter of what...

It's either the experience changed him, or the whole Eye of Zoltec thing.

31st October 2010
16:22 GMT -5
Interesting twist.
We know from the main SI that one of his versions had the muted emotions associated with the Evil Formula. So either this guy relapses, entirely plausible given his reaction, or multiple of them were that stupid and only some of them got dragged back to sanity.

Artemis needs a utility belt upgrade. What kind of gadgeteer doesn't have the essentials like tissue paper?

Artemis needs a utility belt upgrade. What kind of gadgeteer doesn't have the essentials like tissue paper?
I never really saw Artemis as the sort of heroine that prioritized comforting people in distress. I just don't see Sportsmaster including that in his "training" sessions, you know?

I never really saw Artemis as the sort of heroine that prioritized comforting people in distress. I just don't see Sportsmaster including that in his "training" sessions, you know?

Plus even if she did have something to comfort people with, like tissues, she may have left them somewhere in the base instead of carrying them on her while she's there.

Huh, now that was interesting. He's been stretched out pretty far, snapping back like this makes sense.

I'm curious how things go from here.

...the idea of his body having adapted to need some byproduct of the serum is ridiculous, right?

Depending on if there's any side effects, both negative and positive, from removing the formula from his system may motivate Paul to further study the creation or discovery of other forms of empowerment. Not to mention his own preference to the state of mind where he can achieve the results he wants without compromising himself or possibly upsetting his coworkers/teammates if he stills considers their opinions important.

It sort of like how Bane own use of venom gradually turned him less of strategist and more into a mindless brute until he focused on create a new strain of venom that let him keep his mental faculties.

TangPaul at first tries to use other methods of focus and empowerment but finds them too unwieldy or ineffective and gets frustrated how he can't get the same results as before. His teammates and superiors try to use the same old platitudes seen in superhero media of finding strength/power from within, or how being powerful isn't everything to being a hero, and how the formula and other power ups are just a crutch and he's better without them. Of course this falls on deaf ears as TangPaul isn't native to the world where such a speech would be super effective, because to him while fighting and dying for noble causes may sound great but living to see another day is better especially if doing so costs very little to achieve. As admirable Batman and other non-powered heroes can be in the face of especially powerful and deadly foes they tend to die easily, especially without plot armor just to emphasize how outclassed they are against certain enemies or situations their training doesn't prepared them for.

Things escalate after a few close calls or the injury/death of a teammate or bystanders during a mission that could have otherwise been avoided had he been more capable. Along with them maybe hesitant to accept any sort of upgrade or equipment he finds or creates to help them in the field as well, if not outright denying his help.

So how is Tangseid still being adjusted if he doesn't have his ring on?
My worry was that it would start adjusting him and then his mood swing would have him stop part 2ay through.
Edit: not having his ring on fixes that issue but then how is he being adjusted?

Last edited:
"I will accept."

The gate shimmers as it activates, and the first translucent shade is drawn through. Lord Hades gestures and it solidifies into a form which is humanoid but obviously not human. They look around in bewilderment.

"Take a moment to get your bearings! No hurry!" Lord Hades looks at me. "How many are there, would you say? A few dozen? A hundred?"

"Millions. Possibly billions. I'm sorry to say that funeral traditions in many places just aren't what they should be."

Shades begin trickling through the gate, one after another.

Lord Hades stares.

"Billions."

Hades getting the love he deserves T.T he went through it had everything got everything then lost it all and tried to better himself it's finally paying off

Last edited:
Hellish Consent (part 14)
2nd November 2010
16:34 GMT -5

I don't look around as the door opens, and not just because I'm busy clamping down on the fear of someone taking my things away or attacking me and the anger about someone coming into my place without knocking. I mostly don't look around because-

"Hey. You still doing okay?"

-Artemis has done this every day this week so far.

I turn around and… Yes, it… Does feel more natural to smile like this. "I'm… Doing alright, thank you."

"Ah, good."

"No, not 'good', just 'alright'. Still getting the mood-."

Great, I was trying not to-.

She nods. "The mood swings, yeah. I… Think I can tell what you're feeling."

"Oh?"

"Yeah." She nods again. "Your face moves a lot more now. And you don't try and stop it."

"No, I do, I just-." And I stiff upper lip through a wave of worthlessness. "I just don't succeed."

She nods, then looks around. "So what are you working on now. See you've… Still got the rats."

"I.. think I rather owe them a quiet retirement. Since I-. I know I just agreed 'no injections' and Vitamin X is usually taken orally, it wouldn't technically…" I nod and shrug. "But I understood the intent, and I'm not going to…" I shrug again. "So I'm basically just clearing this place out."

"So we'll see you around more?"

"Ah… Maybe. I'm actually… I'm.. still interested in making improvements to myself, I'm just… Going to avoid altering my body from now on."

She nods. "So… Better armor?"

"Acquiring magic artefacts. I'm not an-. I don't have much experience of designing armour, it's probably better I just pay an actual professional for it."

She looks pretty darn sceptical. "Are magic artefacts better?"

"It varies, but it's a lot easier to ask a trustworthy magician to take a look than it is to ask for volunteers for experimental injections."

She thinks for a moment. "I guess as long as someone's looking at it first that's okay. Did you have someplace in mind to go looking?"

I nod. "Bolivia. Back in the sixties a minor supervillain called 'Diablo' operating out of the Bolivian jungle put together a small paramilitary using a mind control amulet."

She frowns. "What happened to him?"

"Run over by a tank. I read the biography of the man who beat him, and as far as I can tell the amulet got broken during their fight. Since it was broken and he had other things to worry about he just left the parts there."

"A mind control amulet."

"It's a lot safer to mind control people into giving up than it is to fight them, for them and us. You remember that talk Batman did about the results of repeated traumatic head injuries?"

"And that's all it can do?"

"The man who beat him -his name was Timothy Kelly- more or less tripped over his operation, and didn't study exactly what happened. The people he controlled snapped out of it almost immediately, so it's… Pretty safe."

"'Pretty safe' mind control."

"Ah…" I frown. "Did I..? Ever tell you exactly what orange power rings can do?"

She closes her eyes and exhales through her nose. "Mind control."

"No, worse. It's possible to use an orange ring to turn someone into a construct. Aaaaand it's permanent. Naturally I haven't used it…" I shrug, and she looks disturbed.

"What's that..? Like?"

"I don't know. I know it's possible to build working construct computers, so there's nothing… Fundamental about a mind that means that it couldn't become a construct without losing consciousness. I don't know what it does to the victim's soul, I don't know how much control the ring would have over them…" I fan out my hands. "Actually, it's… Possible to make a mind control construct with any ring if you know what you're doing, but it's… Difficult."

"That's kinda terrifying."

I shrug. "You know there are more guns in the US than people, right?"

"I.. guess." She shudders, looking away.

"Ah, I, I recognise that response. Is it something you want to talk about it?"

She shrugs. "I.. nearly got made an Alice one time. Mad Hatter came around my junior school playground, and I saw one of the other girls get abducted. I still remember what it looked like. She had this.. blank stare, and creepy.. doll-smile."

I think about saying 'it would have been worse if he'd shot her', but I don't think that trauma really works that way.

Instead, I nod in understanding. "Batman had a look at Mister Tetch's hat designs, and… Basically, if you don't have Mister Tetch's particular psychological abnormalities, you can't use them. And, yes, I don't intend to ever do that to anyone. And I may not even be able to put the amulet back together; it just seems like it would be really useful."

"Yeah, I guess-." She frowns. "Does it work on the guy using it?"

"Ah… I don't know."

"Cause I don't think either of us wanna go through this again."

"No. And.. I-." I mean, testing that function sounds like it would be sensible, but I understand where she's coming from. "I.. think I can give testing that a miss."

"Hm. Maybe I should come with you anyway. Make sure you don't do anything stupid."

"That.. might be a good idea." She smiles faintly. "Ah, I won't be going for a few days; until my mood stabilises it wouldn't be safe for me to use the ring. Or for.. anyone I was carrying."

She nods. "I'll bring a parachute." She takes a deep breath, eyes dipping. "So you're-. Ah, you're obviously different… Like this."

"Not being a psychopath."

"Yeah. Yeah, that. So…" Her eyes dart up to my face, then drop again. "Have you… Like… Thought about..?"

"Whether or not I want to keep dating you?"

She metaphorically girds her loins and looks me full in the face. "Yeah. I mean, the attention was… Kinda nice, but you weren't-. You, so… No pressure if you don't or anything."

She shrugs.

"Artemis, I… I wasn't lying when I said how admirable I find you, but-" I smile awkwardly. "-my brain's still a mess. Any answer I gave you now… It's not reliable. I could feel completely differently in either direction once my amygdala settles down."

"Yeah, I.. guess that's fair. Oh, ah, Mom wants me to invite you over for dinner."

I nod. "And I would be happy to attend."

"I mean, today."

"Oh. Ah, in that case…" I take a look around my workshop. Nothing that needs to be made safe right away. "Let me go and change my clothes."

Last edited:
"Ah… Maybe. I'm actually… I'm.. still interested in making improvements to myself, I'm just… Going to avoid altering my body from now on."

"Acquiring magic artefacts

So the Eye is responsible for the whole going evil thing.

I nod. "Bolivia. Back in the sixties a minor supervillain called 'Diablo' operating out of the Bolivian jungle put together a small paramilitary using a mind control amulet

Yeah...

"Hm. Maybe I should come with you anyway. Make sure you don't do anything stupid."

"That.. might be a good idea

So this is how Artemis gets enslaved.

How many more Tangseid chapters are left before we move on?

I nod. "Bolivia. Back in the sixties a minor supervillain called 'Diablo' operating out of the Bolivian jungle put together a small paramilitary using a mind control amulet."
Ah yes... To recover from using something called the Evil serum you go after a magical Amulet from someone calling themselves Diablo.

How is he this stupid?

2nd November 2010
16:34 GMT -5

I don't look around as the door opens, and not just because I'm busy clamping down on the fear is someone taken my things away or attacking me and the anger about someone coming into my place without knocking. I mostly don't looks around because-

"Hey. You still doing okay?"
Somehow, I don't they'd be asking that if they could see his emotional landscape. Good gravy, talk about a mood pendulum. And I don't think he'll be okay anytime soon. Safe bet his Ring is currently confiscated for his safety.

-Artemis has done this every day this week so far.

I turn around and… Yes, it… Does feel more natural to smile like this. "I'm… Doing alright, thank you."
At least she's been keeping an eye on him.

"Ah, good."

"No, not 'good', just 'alright. Still getting the mood-."
He's still a long way from good...

Great, I was trying not to-.

She nods. "The mood swings, yeah. I… Think I can tell what you're feeling."
Heart on his sleeve, eh? Or rather, his face.

"Oh?"

"Yeah." She nods again. "Your face moves a lot more now. And you don't try and stop it."
Heh. Bet he looks a little twitchy, though.

"No, I do, I just-." And I stiff upper lip through a wave of worthlessness. "I just don't succeed."

She nods, then looks around. "So what are you working on now. See you've… Still got the rats."
Hopefully he's just winding down his lab work safely.

"I.. think I rather owe them a quiet retirement. Since I-. I know I just agreed 'no injections' and Vitamin X is usually taken orally, it wouldn't technically…" I nod and shrug. "But I understood the intent, and I'm not going to…" I shrug again. "So I'm basically just clearing this place out."

"So we'll see you around more?"
:confused: ...I feel kind of called out now, since I noted that loophole. Still, good to see he's following through.

Yes, much better to focus on skills and equipment than improving innate characteristics...

"Acquiring magic artefacts. I'm not an-. I don't have much experience of designing armour, it's probably better I just pay an actual professional for it."

She looks pretty darn sceptical. "Are magic artefacts better?"
Well, they're harder on Ring charge, if nothing else.

"It varies, but it's a lot easier to ask a trustworthy magician take a look than it is to ask for volunteers for experimental injections."

She thinks for a moment. "I guess as long as someone's looking at it first that's okay. Did you have someplace in mind to go looking?"
There's those trust issues, of course. I don't see them allowing him to make any changes without extensive checks first.

She frowns. "What happened to him?"
...Uh, no. Hell, no. Anything linked to someone named 'Diablo' is bound to be trouble.

"Run over by a tank. I read the biography of the man who beat him, and as far as I can tell the amulet got broken during their fight. Since it was broken and he had other things to worry about he just left the parts there."

"A mind control amulet."
Yes, she has a right to be worried.

"It's a lot safer to mind control people into giving up than it is to fight them, for them and us. You remember that talk Batman did about the results of repeated traumatic head injuries?"

"And that's all it can do?"
Something he's had plenty of experience doling out, of course. No doubt his doctor friend gave him some sharp words early on.

"The man who beat him -his name was Timothy Kelly- more or less tripped over his operation, and didn't study exactly what happened. The people he controlled snapped out of it almost immediately, so it's… Pretty safe."

"'Pretty safe' mind control."
Hardly the thing you want in the hands of someone who just got free of a morality-dispelling serum...

"Ah…" I frown. "Did I..? Ever tell you exactly what orange power rings can do?"

She closes her eyes and exhales through her nose. "Mind control."
...Oh, they have no idea what he can do if he tries, huh?

"No, worse. It's possible to use an orange ring to turn someone into a construct. Aaaaand it's permanent. Naturally I haven't used it…" I shrug, and she looks disturbed.

"What's that..? Like?"
That's reassuring, at least. Even at his worst he never crossed that line, then.

"I don't know. I know it's possible to build working construct computers, so there's nothing… Fundamental about a mind that means that it couldn't become a construct without losing consciousness. I don't know what it does to the victim's soul, I don't know how much control the ring would have over them…" I fan out my hands. "Actually, it's… Possible to make a mind control construct with any ring if you know what you're doing, but it's… Difficult."
Admittedly, any consciousness emulated on an Orange Ring might run a little more avariciously...

"That's kinda terrifying."

I shrug. "You know there are more guns in the US than people, right?"
Let's not get into that argument, shall we?

"I.. guess." She shudders, looking away.

"Ah, I, I recognise that response. Is it something you want to talk about it?"
Ah, right. Gotham native. She's probably seen her share of mind-control incidents. Hopefully not up close and...

She shrugs. "I.. nearly got made an Alice one time. Mad Hatter came around my junior school playground, and I saw one of the other girls get abducted. I still remember what it looked like. She had this.. blank stare, and creepy.. doll-smile."

I think about saying 'it would have been worse if he'd shot her', but I don't think that trauma really works that way.
:eek: ...Personal. Yipes.

Instead, I nod in understanding. "Batman had a look at Mister Tetch's hat designs, and… Basically, if you don't have Mister Tetch's particular psychological abnormalities, you can't use them. And, yes, I don't intend to ever do that to anyone. And I may not even be able to put the amulet back together; it just seems like it would be really useful."

"Yeah, I guess-." She frowns. "Does it work on the guy using it?"
...I mean, he could use it to stabilise his mental state, at least until he can manage it himself...

"Ah… I don't know."

"Cause I don't think either of us wanna go through this again."
Once bitten, twice shy. And for good reason.

"No. And.. I-." I mean, testing that function sounds like it would be sensible, but I understand where she's coming from. "I.. think I can give testing that a miss."

Chances of that are slim, but hope is always good.

"That.. might be a good idea." She smiles faintly. "Ah, I won't be going for a few days; until my mood stabilises it wouldn't be safe for me to use the ring. Or for.. anyone I was carrying."

She nods. "I'll bring a parachute." She takes a deep breath, eyes dipping. "So you're-. Ah, you're obviously different… Like this."
Yeah, one surge of anger or fear, or anything else, and suddenly you're in freefall... Doesn't sound fun at all.

"Not being a psychopath."

"Yeah. Yeah, that. So…" Her eyes dart up to my face, then drop again. "Have you… Like… Thought about..?"

"Whether or not I want to keep dating you?"
For a start: Half your age, Tang.

She metaphorically girds her loins and looks me full in the face. "Yeah. I mean, the attention was… Kinda nice, but you weren't-. You, so… No pressure if you don't or anything."

She shrugs.
On the upside, there's likely to be less 'dates' involving animal testing...

"Artemis, I… I wasn't lying when I said how admirable I find you, but-" I smile awkwardly. "-my brain's still a mess. Any answer I gave you now… It's not reliable. I could feel completely differently in either direction once my amygdala settles down."

"Yeah, I.. guess that's fair. Oh, ah, Mom wants me to invite you over for dinner."
Putting it off until later, I see. Good move.

I nod. "And I would be happy to attend."

"I mean, today."

"Oh. Ah, in that case…" I take a look around my workshop. Nothing that needs to be made safe right away. "Let me go and change my clothes."
Well, this could be awkward.

Honestly, while we know how things will turn out if he gets the Left Eye, the Right Eye would have been perfect for his desired upgrade. Pity it's probably still in the hands of its current owner. And really, he shouldn't be going after any enhancements anytime soon, until his brain settles back into whatever passes for normal now. Alas, he's not really thinking straight, after all...

Ah yes... To recover from using something called the Evil serum you go after a magical Amulet from someone calling themselves Diablo.

How is he this stupid?

Are all the non dangerous non evil enhancements, armors, and artifacts already in use by other heroes or something? Why is everything he keeps going for something only an insane villain would bother with?

Not necessarily.

The guy was imprisoned and the Right Eye was taken by the British government.

Tim Kelly's son had the right eye and was a British Government goon in the Gravy section.

While it is another universe, Zoat does like keeping it simple when it comes to dimensional differences, so I would be surprised if he went with the actual Albion storyline in this reality.

Are all the non dangerous non evil enhancements, armors, and artifacts already in use by other heroes or something? Why is everything he keeps going for something only an insane villain would bother with?

He can use his ring to reverse engineer tech like Paul did with Rocket's inertia belt, so that's not an excuse.

Hellish Consent (part 15)
5th November 2010
09:02 GMT -5

Artemis and I walk towards the training room zeta tube. Normally we'd have a team training-.

There's a gust of displaced air as Wallace appears. "Ah, hey, where you guys off to?"

Artemis smiles. "Bolivia."

"Are you..? Blowing off class?"

I shake my head. "I'm signed off for another couple of days while my brain fixes itself. Artemis is coming along as my minder."

"Okay, I guess. Does the League even have a zeta tube in Bolivia?"

I shake my head again. "No. We're going to Lima and then flying there."

"You mean on a plane, or are you using your ring? Because if your brain's still acting up that's probably not a good idea."

Artemis and I hold up our right fists. "I copied Booster Gold's flight ring. Don't tell the Legion of Super Heroes."

"Who are-?" He nods. "Time travel, right." He shrugs. "Have fun, I guess."

"We will, thanks." Artemis nods, then turns to the zeta tube opening. "See you later."

"Recognized, Orange Lantern, B zero five, Artemis, B zero six."

5th November 2010
10:04 GMT -4

We step out inside an empty corridor in a WayneTech-owned factory, whose sole purpose is to conceal the zeta tube.

"So how good are these flight-rings?"

"The environmental shield is pretty useful, but the flight is fairly slow." Which fits with what I remember of the League's attack on the sun-eater in the comics. "It would be better to fly-" We both start walking towards the exit. "-by power ring."

She nods. "And just use these rings if you have an-. Issue. So how would that work?"

"I can just carry you along." I pause, smirking as she glances at me. "Or I could just bridal carry you. I'm still strong enough to-" She looks away. "-do that."

"Really?"

"Sure. You don't weigh that much, and I'm still in peak human condition. Or I could give you a piggy-."

"Alright." She pushes the door open and I just stop for a moment. She hear that and turns back. "What?"

"Oh, I just didn't think you'd-."

"You don't have t-."

"No no. I offered." She hesitates, then carries on outside. I follow her out of the building and into the rear area of the factory. A few large bins and a lot of discarded cigarette remains. I take a step closer, the stop as I try and work out how to do this. Okay, so I can-. I half-crouch, and-. Left arm holding her legs is easy, but her quiver is sort of in the way and there's no obvious place to move it. "So…"

She holds out her left arm to put it around my back, then realises my problem. "Y-eah, how do you-?"

"If I put your bow and quiver into subspace?"

She nods, and I carefully focus on storing them, causing them to disappear in a ripple of orange light. Then I lean in, right arm going around her back.

"Okay, grab on."

"Uh-huh." She grabs on, and-. And our faces are really quite close together, and-. She's noticed it too.

Damn it.

I shift down a little and push my left arm into her houghs, which apparently is the proper name for 'knee pits', and lift.

Okay. Faces aren't so close together anymore, but I'm not sure this is better.

"Comfortable?"

"Uuuh, yeah."

"Nice deltoids."

She snorts and lightly slaps my back with her left hand as we take off and head east.

And what the heck am I going to do about that?

Because I remember doing a pretty good job of hitting on her, despite having no capacity for empathy and barely being able to read human expression. I worry what that means for humanity more generally, but… Aside from the Evil Formula… I'm someone she likes, and I got rid of that while a psychopath because she asked me to.

I'm trying not to look at her desires, but I can feel how relaxed she is like this, looking down and the Bolivian panorama beneath us. And I'm pretty sure she was blushing under her foundation a couple of times there.

Why couldn't I have been this good with fifteen year old girls when I was fifteen?

I mean… Ugh. Between her mother being in prison and her father being busy being a supervillain, Artemis basically raised herself for half of her life. She's a heck of a lot mature than I was at fifteen, ignoring the fact that the adults in her life are fine with her being a vigilante. A bow-armed vigilante.

And my mouth outran my brain and told everyone that I'm sixteen. Which means that as far as she's concerned everything's great now. And… I'm rather.. fond of her too.

Alright, in practical terms… I don't have to worry about becoming physically old while she's still young. I won't age as long as I have the ring, and I've rejuvenated my tissues and telomeres so even without it I'd probably be younger longer than she will. No need to worry about sperm quality decay, for example.

Uh.

I can… Oh. I don't know-. I can remember how it felt, to not… Care about… 'rightness'. The form of my own thoughts, and… I'm pretty sure I could just decide not to care. Ring, check my brain?

Still working normally, sport. Teenage girls don't stop being attractive just because you've got morals again. You could always say you aren't interested in having a relationship for professional reasons.

You've remembered that you're an orange ring, right?

Yes, and while you do want the hot girl, you also want to be a moral person.

Can I just take a bunt? Chances are that this relationship won't work anyway.

You shouldn't, but I'll take what I can get.

Great. Thank you.

We're here, by the way.

"Going down."

I swoop down into the jungle, hovering in front of an overgrown tank.

Artemis stares. "Is that..?"

Scan.

"Yeah." I land, set her down and return her weapon. "His body's over there. We should-. We should probably get.. someone to recover the bodies. Bury them."

She nods sombrely. "And what about the Left Eye?"

I've seen pictures of the Right Eye, and descriptions in the memoirs, but I don't know for certain what it looks like. Assuming it looks the same… Ring?

Orange light runs across the ground in a wave, then bits of crystal begin flying out of the ground to hover in front of me. Gradually, the broken parts of the gem stick themselves back together, and I catch it just as the glow cuts out.

And it occurs to me that I could use this to remove Artemis's affection. Just dial it down-.

240px-Paragon_Interrupt.png

No.

"That was easy."

I nod. "Mission accomplished. But I think it would be worth looking at the Temple of Zoltec while we're here. Interested in some sightseeing?"

Last edited:
5th November 2010
09:02 GMT -5
Missing threadmark.

"You mean on a plane, or are you suing your ring? Because if your brain's still acting up that's probably not a good idea."
That should say 'using'.

Okaaay... I think it's official.

We've been bamboozled. Either this is an alternate Tangseid, or not Tangseid at all.
I still think it's too early to tell for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back