• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Honestly, I like the parallels to the situation that led to the Ophidian being summoned and merging with Paragon. I'll be curious to see how it goes.

Also, I get people don't like Tangseid and a good number just aren't interested, but it seems like there's more complaints then discussion with this one.

Huh? He's actually going through with the reversion? What, does it get stopped part way? Does he take another, second dose after he's fixed because he decided he doesn't want to live with being normal?
If the Evil was magic in nature his ring wouldn't be able to reverse it.

Is his presence really that concerning to you? You know his Ring is more limited... Or is the threat of retribution from fighting him the concern

This is Abin Sur.

One of the greatest of the Green Lanterns.

Which is impressive, given he has trouble with human expressions. Identifying the meaning of Abin Sur's human-like but surely different expressions...

Sure has soent time amongst humans for decades.

He may have picked up some facial expressions.

Wait, how did his Ring communicate with him while not wearing it? Short-range connection functionality? :confused: Or is he imagining what it would say?

Laterns do have connections to their rings even when they're not wearing them.

Otherwise they couldn't summon them.

His passivity is not making this go as she pictured it, is it?

I'm wondering if it's some kind of tactic to make them feel guilty.

If someone is visibly angry at you then you may not feel so much guilt.

And he's making her watch. Boy, still creepy as heck.

Yep.

So, bets on how this will go wrong? He redoses himself later in an emergency? Someone else doses him with it, or something worse, without his willing agreement? Maybe the serum can't be undone that easily in a complex thing like a human mind and he doesn't magically get his morality back? o_O Or this isn't the same Alt!Paul as Tangseid, and we've been duped the whole time... So many possibilities

Or like a reader speculated avobe, he may just like how he was and just changes his behavior to match his serum self.

It has been months since he took the serum, so the changes may be too severe.

And he did also have at least one of the Eyes of Zoltec, so if it's the Left Eye then the corruption may be mystical in nature.

Maybe he went looking for them after he finally removed the serum.

This Artemis doesn't know about his true age, does she?
She sure doesn't.

For a start, you're hitting on a girl about half your age.

She doesn't know that.

I'm comparing your behaviour to baselines, here. I can't make moral judgements. And before you took that shot, you wouldn't have done that. And you certainly wouldn't have come on to the first hot girl you saw like you're doing now. And you wouldn't have responded with 'she doesn't know that' just now.

Also, I get people don't like Tangseid and a good number just aren't interested, but it seems like there's more complaints then discussion with this one.

Because most of us here don't have a hard on for what amounts to a serial killer doc with super powers added in. That is all this Paul is at the end of the day, at best he'll be a shitty copy of Hannibal Lecter. It's made even worse because we already know where this is going. But thanks to that we don't have any false hope so we can ignore this section until we get back to the main story, or one of the other crossover snips.

Even the Flash or Superman? Either one could keep you moving past the point of contentment with super-speed and Superman can basically track you anywhere (especially if he's closer to turn-of-the-century power levels that Mia's presence suggests he is.)
Neither can move faster than light.
So, bets on how this will go wrong? He redoses himself later in an emergency? Someone else doses him with it, or something worse, without his willing agreement? Maybe the serum can't be undone that easily in a complex thing like a human mind and he doesn't magically get his morality back? o_O Or this isn't the same Alt!Paul as Tangseid, and we've been duped the whole time... So many possibilities...
To quote Rainbow Dash: if you're going to be evil, own it.
Thank you, corrected.

For some reason I can't help but think that whatever goes wrong is because he told the ring to do the reversion slowly instead of just doing it quickly.

"Ring, make my physical and psychological torture needlessly long and drawn-out."

maybe he continues to go evil based off of some form of warped resentment towards the League: "they made me slowly torture myself because they couldn't handle how well i was doing"

Even the Flash or Superman? Either one could keep you moving past the point of contentment with super-speed and Superman can basically track you anywhere (especially if he's closer to turn-of-the-century power levels that Mia's presence suggests he is.)

Neither can move faster than light.

And even if they can, Superman may be the only one that can actually capture him if he gets off world.

Flash needs a surface to run on, and last time I checked space is largely empty.

"Ring, make my physical and psychological torture needlessly long and drawn-out

It was pointed out that he may have said that he'll have seizures to manipulate and hurt the others.

If they see he's in pain they may take it easier on him and not insist that he do it so much or too quickly so he may have some of the changes left when he goes full mind control rapist overlord.

maybe he continues to go evil based off of some form of warped resentment towards the League: "they made me slowly torture myself because they couldn't handle how well i was doing

Probably.

Even if the serum is removed and his brain goes back to normal he may still think that he was better when he thought the way he did with the serum and just gradually changes his behavior to match that state.

A lot of people can commit horrible acts and have perfectly functioning brains with parts that are responsible for things like empathy and compassion being fully functional, but they do horrible things bit by by for one reason or another and learn to ignore the little voice in their head telling them to stop until it eventually stops talking and they rationalize their behavior as being somehow necessary or good.

And a lot of Paul's have a habit of rationalizing things, even when those things are horrible.

It doesn't stop being wrong just because the people being raped and mind-slaved also do evil.

It does, however, mean that the readers will complain about it less. I think the readers find tangseid more disturbing because he's doing it to people they know, in places they know. The warhammer world also provides "acceptable targets", which are rarer in the DC world. We know Wonder Woman, we know Artemis, we like them and are disturbed to see them mutilated and violated. Dark Elf #32856, on the other hand, might have a name. Might be written as a person with thoughts, desires, convictions of their own. But we don't have that history with them.

Or, as Chaoswind put it:
It's because he did it to elves.

Welcome to racism 101. The "other" tag justifies a lot.

I think there's really more leeway because they were specifically dark elves. I think he did something similar with some dark eldar in the 40k timeline.

I mean, maybe that doesn't mean much if you're not familiar with Warhammer . . . But the dark elves of Fantasy and the dark eldar of 40k are inherently fucked up in a way that if you don't want to kill them then you basically have to force them to behave in some way. Being fucked up murder-torture-rapists is just too much a part of what they are on a fundamental level that it's understandable if you put the mind whammy on them.

Whereas you just shouldn't have to put the whammy on heroic people unless you yourself are a piece of shit.

It's because he did it to elves.

Welcome to racism 101. The "other" tag justifies a lot.
He did it to Warhammer Dark Elves

You take a Hypno Ray and use it to make a Human into a sex slave it's mind breaking and rape, you take a Hypno Ray and use it to make a Warhammer Dark Elf into a sex slave it's a slow Tuesday.

To the point where the only difference in anything that would likely be going on right now if you removed the Mind Control from the Warhammer Dark Elf, is that they would try to kill you and steal your Hypno Ray at some point after the sex.

He did it to Warhammer Dark Elves

You take a Hypno Ray and use it to make a Human into a sex slave it's mind breaking and rape, you take a Hypno Ray and use it to make a Warhammer Dark Elf into a sex slave it's a slow Tuesday.

To the point where the only difference in anything that would likely be going on right now if you removed the Mind Control from the Warhammer Dark Elf, is that they would try to kill you and steal your Hypno Ray at some point after the sex.

I really hate to agree with Vaermina, but he's got a point. He's gave the dark elf an option between murder as punishment for her horrific crimes or being forcibly turned into a decent person. He did not intentionally make her want to sleep with him, he tried to make her less evil and fucked up.

that's a major difference to how a normal person would see it, let alone most commenters.

Hellish Consent (part 13)
31st October 2010
16:22 GMT -5

Hang in there, sp-.

Tearitoffgetitoffgetitoff!

"Ah… Was that-?"

You made me do this!

"Ohkay, never mind."

And then the impulse is gone, and I'm shaking and shivering again and at least I haven't lost bladder control but it's only a matter of time.

"Jeez, you weren't joking-"

Why did I look at her like that!?

"I'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'm-."

"No, no, it's-. I didn't think it would be this-. Were you like this when you used it?"

"Nerr-nerr-nerr-nerr-no." I try to curl up on myself, but I can't because the restraints stop me and I'm not strong enough or coordinated enough to break free. "If you break your back, you immediately lose use of your legs. If your back gets fixed, you can't suddenly walk again."

No! Why did I choose that-!

"I'm sorry, that was the wrong-."

"No-. I get it. It makes sense."

I'm crying, and my nose is running, and I didn't think to put a tissue box within arm's reach. I'm disgusting, I'm so stupid!

"Ah, do you want me to-?"

"G-uh."

Keep away!

"Okay, I'll just… I didn't… I didn't realise it would mess you up this.. much. Ah, do you need-?"

She goes to pick up the ring-.

"Don't touch it!"

"Ah, is that, like, 'I'm freaking out' don't touch it, or a 'that's actually dangerous' don't touch it?"

"Duh, ah, second one. Touching the inner surface connects it to your brain, connects the orange light to your brain."

"And I think we've learn from this that messing around with brains is a bad idea." She picks up a pair of tongs from the top of a workbench and uses them to pick up the ring from underneath the workbench where I threw it. "Huh."

"Is it t-t-t-t-talking to you? Making you… See things you want-."

"You're…" She turns around. "Not exactly the best advert for orange power rings right now. And I watched Lord of the Rings."

"It's… Not the same. The One Ring just tells you what it needs to so you'll take it to Sauron. An orange power ring can actually… Do that stuff."

She watches me for a moment, then shakes her head. "I'm good. So, do you need it?"

She looks huge, strong, towering over me-. Stop! Stop!

"Could… Reverse this. Can't… Focus. Could do anything. Not safe."

"Makes sense." She puts the tongs and ring down on top of the workbench. "I could get you some kleenex?"

I… Nod, rocking backwards and forwards.

She straightens up and looks around. "Where are they?"

Oh, thank you. "I can't get ill with a power ring. You'd have to look somewhere else."

"Ah…" She looks at the door, then back at me. "I don't think I should leave you on your own. Artemis to… Robin?"

"Robin here."

"Do you know where we keep the kleenex?"

"Ah… Kitchen?"

"Anywhere closer?"

"Maybe? Where are you?"

"Paul's lab. He's gotten rid of the Evil Formula, and now he's a mess."

"You talked him into that? Do I wanna ask how, or am I not old enough?"

That little SHIT! Get up and HUNT HIM DOWN! GET UP-!

Oof! Can't-. Can't move.

"Kid, can you bring some kleenex to Paul's lab?"

"Mad Science Central? I dunno if-."

"He cured himself and he's having a mental breakdown."

"Oh. Great! I mean, I like the science, it's the mad I'm not-"

A gust of wind blows through the workshop.

"-so keen on." I squirm around so I can see him as he looks down at me. "Oh. His amygdala-. Right."

"You know what's happening? Can we turn it down or something?"

"Ah, usually that kinda thing happens to… Really old people. You know how they'll just… Come out with something? Out of character? Without thinking about it?" She nods. "Right now he's gone from not being able to feel normal human emotions to not being able to block out anything." He blurs closer. "Hey, dude."

He holds out the tissue box, and I grab-. Scrabble, snatch and wipe my eyes, my nose, my mouth and my chin.

"Thank you."

"Gotta say, even messed up like this? You're acting more human."

"Man is something to be overcome."

"Oooor not."

I blink slowly. Everything's still-. Fuzzy. I look around and-. Irritation over things not working and it's like someone just burned my research right in front of me. Completely disproportionate, but I'm getting a slightly better handle on it.

"I think.. I'm in a.. calm patch." I take the tissue box, pull out a single tissue and… Clean myself up a little more precisely. "Could you please cut me out of these straps?"

He glances at Artemis, but she's already pulled out a point arrow. "Okay, but-. How do we know you actually did it? Psychopaths are usually really good at manipulating people."

"He's not wearing his ring. Do you really think he could fake that without it?"

"Maybe? There's drugs that-."

Artemis rolls her eyes. "Hey, Paul? Wanna catch a movie later?"

I think I can probably handle that. "Ah, yes, that sounds nice."

"Huh." Wallace steps aside as she comes forward to cut me free. "I see what you mean about the smile. It's about ninety percent less serial killer."

Last edited:

"looks"

Oh, thank you. "I can't get ill with a power ring. You'd have to look somewhere else

That little SHIT! Get up and HUNT HIM DOWN! GET UP-!

So his emotions are all over the place.

"Huh." Wallace steps aside as she comes forward to cut me free. "I see what you mean about the smile. It's about ninety percent less serial killer

But the 10% is still worrying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back