• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I could easily see the Reach spinning up a few dozen more small-scale atrocities solely in response to this, just to see if it works.

That's a good plan in isolation, but the trouble is that the Reach is still trying to wage a propaganda war to pretend they are being unjustly targeted and keep as much of the universe as they can neutral. If they start "leaking" atrocities then they have to provide some actual evidence, which Supreme Commander Dox can then use to show how awful they are in the diplomatic struggle.

It might be worth trying late in the war when NEMO is invading deep into Reach territory and they have to take any advantage they can, but right now it would be very dangerous.

Can you explain why some of the Controllers are trying to be nameless? Why do they consider their names foolish?

I mean, in fairness they are weird, impossibly ancient aliens who could definitely have ideas that are difficult for humans to understand. In other words, if Zoat responds, "No I can't explain it to you actually," I think that would be a fair enough answer.

Can you explain why some of the Controllers are trying to be nameless? Why do they consider their names foolish?
They might think that names are for lesser races and species.

Maltusians don't really have any personality, so it's possible that they think that names are pointless.

With their powers it may be possible that they can know who each of them are without using a name, but continue to do so out of habit.

I remember reading a Babylon 5 book that focused on the Vorlons and it mentioned that because of their telepathy they don't really use names just designations that describe their personality and stance on issues.

"Kosh" for example wasn't really a name, but just a descriptor that told others that that particular Vorlon had chosen to take on the role of guide and teacher.

The Maltusians may do something similar.

Namelessness seems to fit very oddly with pride, and pride seems to be his main motivation in searching across realities for Effigy upgrades.

Names-are-bad.jpg

It's not like we get a lot of information about their culture, and there are only a handful of canonically names maltusians.

Compared to the warships, and spread across the ridiculous size of Reach territory? Particularly after the Orange Lantern Corps (specifically the former Darkstars) have been going ham on them, hunting their (former) tormentors to extinction as best as they can?

I don't doubt that Scarabs show up. But jamming all that tech into something as small as a scarab takes tech and resources. It makes sense that they're rare comparatively - and even if they are rare, I'll bet that they outnumber the Corps by a lot. Particularly since they could just give the scarabs to anyone, and tend towards cloning/hive raising them purpose-built.

Equitisation (part 14) New
29th April 2013
About ten minutes in

Big ships.

Those are big ships.

I didn't want to say anything, but the same… 'Sense', I guess, that lets me fly where I want in space is actually letting me feel those ships. And I'm feeling them a lot more than other ships I've felt. The way Paul was going on… Yeah, I think they could kill me.

I mean, I don't know they could. But the feeling… It's not really in my stomach anymore, but it's the same sort of feeling… The feeling I'm getting is that this is something that is actually a threat to me. Like… When I started fighting things in space when the Controller gave me powers. I hadn't really gotten my head around what it was like. I thought having one guy-. No, if it was Superman-. Having me fight a giant metal spaceship was a stupid idea. It's just-. It's a giant piece of metal, right? That just doesn't make sense.

Then I actually did it, and… I don't know if it makes sense, but I'm used to it. The whole 'fly-right-up-to-the-metal-wall-in-the-sky-and-win' thing.

So we need to slow them down. The space stations in this system behind them… Forget about it. Flying around them when they can see us just isn't happening. But the ones just ahead, or off to the side, we can get them, and the ones in the systems they didn't just come from, because they obviously left some people behind to look after them. And then we get the ones closer to the planet when they keep coming. And I'm not.. worried about the small ships, even if they are harder to kill than the ones we've fought so far. They're small. The Reach don't build bad ships. They might be better at some things but from what Paul was saying their firepower isn't much different from what we've taken on before. If the Reach send them out to protect their stations… That's not a problem. Whoever gets assigned can just ignore them and do their job.

But I wanted to take the one that was right where the fleet is coming. Because… Because if I gave it to someone else and then any of them looked at me… What the fuck do I say?

"Prime…" Krillik's looking… I don't know, alien? I don't know alien expressions yet. "Can you fly faster?"

Right, focus. Like a Green Lantern.

This is the sort of time when having heroes growing up would be useful, isn't it?

It's actually easier to focus on the ships. I mean, they're in the same direction. I'm not going 'miss the system' fast, so I don't need to worry about that. Just put my foot down and try and get there a bit before the big ships-.

Will they be able to slow down? I keep getting confused about who can do that. I can stop in no time flat, and I know some ships can do that too and other ones can't because of momentum?

See, this is why I didn't pay attention in science class. That shit's so inconsistent in the real world! Sometimes things work one way and sometimes they don't and you can't tell in advance!

I should probably have paid attention in science class.

Go faster.

"Sorry, not used to this 'mental focus' thing."

"That wasn't why I asked. I know Controller Jevek tried our modifications on you first. I thought that you might have one that made you faster."

"I wish. No, we've all got the same stuff." Huh. "Which is kind of weird when you think about it. Not like our species are related or anything."

"I don't really think we're members of our old species anymore. Just.. burned effigies of them. We sacrifice our forms to fight the Reach. Perhaps we could be considered members of a new species, created purely to fight the Reach."

"I only picked 'Effigy' because I thought it sounded cool. I wasn't really thinking about it like that."

"Hah!" Oh, I recognise a smile! "Do 'orange lanterns' have significance in your culture?"

"Halloween I guess? We-. There's this orange gourd called a 'pumpkin'. We carve scary faces on them and then put them outside our houses."

The other kids did, anyway.

"I think the Illustres is missing an opportunity. Imagine if he replaced the boring design with a fearsome gourd-face!"

I start imagining him with a pumpkin-face, and I can't help but chuckle.

And that's the station coming up.

"Right. I'll punch a hole, you get to their computer and see what you can get. Once I've-" Killed. "-got rid of the crew then I'll try distracting the ships."

"We might not have time."

"Then we don't have time. But I'd feel like a prize idiot if it turned out it was that simple."

He sighs. "I wish I were a better computer technician. But a proper technical rig wouldn't survive… This."

"I wish for a lot of things. But none of them matter right now either. We've just got to do what we can. And… Now."

We both slow down as the space station is there, and as I look past it I can just about see the fleet heading for us. The station's got a plasma shield up but we're both disrupting and punching as hard as we can and we make a hole in a few seconds.

Could be a trap..?

And on to the station and its turrets, none of which are big enough to do anything. No ships-. The station has turned its plasma shield off. Uh. Trying to give the incoming ships a clear shot? Doesn't matter. Wall… There looks like it leads somewhere, so-

CRUNCH.

-through we go! Corridors, heavy doors closing and Reach people running-. Reach people melting and-. Bursting. Turret guns pop out of the walls and coloured gas starts getting pumped out of little… Pop-cap things. The gas smells a bit weird but I just push on through the space door.

CRUNGK.

A couple of Reach people glance back as the door breaks and melts around me, but the sensible ones keep running. Then they all break and melt too because I can fly faster than they can run.

It's so easy to feel bad if the Controller hadn't made sure I knew what sort of people they are.

"You know where we're going?!"

"Left and down a bit, I think?!"

Fucked if I've got a better idea. Didn't get briefed on the layout of this type of station. I melt whatever's in front of me and then turn, smashing though a wall, then another wall, and then… Er… A warehouse? A hangar? I set the Reach people working there on fire as I try and work out where to go next. No, wait, not that one. She's got a computer notepad thing. Grab, put the fire mostly out.

"Where's the command centre? And… What's in the crates?"

"I-. I will not tell you."

I shrug, and set her right arm on fire.

"AYYYIIEEEE!"

"Yeah. Hurts, huh?" Krillik makes another hole, and I fly through it after him. What did Paul say he did..? Right. "If you tell me where it is, I'll just go straight there and everyone else might get to live. Otherwise I'll just kill everyone flying around randomly."

"A-h-h-hieee w-won't-."

I set her right leg on fire.

"YAAAAAAAGH!"

Last edited:

Effigy has gained Wisdom!

"Halloween I guess? We-. There's this orange gourd called a 'pumpkin'. We carve scary faces on them and then put them outside our houses."

"I think the Illustres is missing an opportunity. Imagine if he replaced the boring design with a fearsome gourd-face!"

But he isn't a yellow lantern. That would be pointless - particularly since he already has mind control and Assimilation as threats. He doesn't want to be 'more' intimidating.

I-. I will not tell you."

"AYYYIIEEEE!"

"Yeah. Hurts, huh?" Krillik makes another hole, and I fly through it after him. What did Paul say he did..? Right. "If you tell me where it is, I'll just go straight there and everyone else might get to live. Otherwise I'll just kill everyone flying around randomly."

"A-h-h-hieee w-won't-."

"YAAAAAAAGH!"

Torture doesn't work against normal people without things like the Lasso anyways, and you're trying it on Reach people? That's not just a war crime (which doesn't apply away from Earth and the Geneva conventions, given the galaxy), that's just dumb. And bad for PR.

Last edited:
isn't much difference

"different"

That's not a problem Whoever gets assigned can just ignore them and do their job.

"problem. Whoever"

I start imagining him with a pumpkin-face, and I can't help but chuckle

Is it pumpkin cake?

It's so easy I'd feel bad if the Controller

"It'd be so easy to feel bad if"

29th April 2013
About ten minutes in

Big ships.

Those are big ships.

I didn't want to say anything, but the same… 'Sense', I guess, that lets me fly where I want in space is actually letting me feel those ships. And I'm feeling them a lot more than other ships I've felt. The way Paul was going on… Yeah, I think they could kill me.
Don't worry, Marty. Everyone gets like that around giant things. That feeling of insignificance is entirely normal, and is a good way to remember you're human. Rather than being, you know, the reusable smart missiles Jevek probably wants you to be...

I mean, I don't know they could. But the feeling… It's not really in my stomach anymore, but it's the same sort of feeling… The feeling I'm getting is that this is something that is actually a threat to me. Like… When I started fighting things in space when the Controller gave me powers. I hadn't really gotten my head around what it was like. I thought having one guy-. No, if it was Superman-. Having me fight a giant metal spaceship was a stupid idea. It's just-. It's a giant piece of metal, right? That just doesn't make sense.
That's understandable. You were some random guy picked off the street to be a super-weapon...

Then I actually did it, and… I don't know if it makes sense, but I'm used to it. The whole 'fly-right-up-to-the-metal-wall-in-the-sky-and-win' thing.
...And now look at you. Kicking in doors, smashing bad guys and saving the good ones. Mostly.

So we need to slow them down. The space stations in this system behind them… Forget about it. Flying around them when they can see us just isn't happening. But the ones just ahead, or off to the side, we can get them, and the ones in the systems they didn't just come from, because they obviously left some people behind to look after them. And then we get the ones closer to the planet when they keep coming. And I'm not.. worried about the small ships, even if they are harder to kill than the ones we've fought so far. They're small. The Reach don't build bad ships. They might be better at some things but from what Paul was saying their firepower isn't much difference from what we've taken on before. If the Reach send them out to protect their stations… That's not a problem Whoever gets assigned can just ignore them and do their job.
Even if it kills them, which won't be good for your uncertainty, will it?

But I wanted to take the one that was right where the fleet is coming. Because… Because if I gave it to someone else and then any of them looked at me… What the fuck do I say?

"Prime…" Krillik's looking… I don't know, alien? I don't know alien expressions yet. "Can you fly faster?"
The perils of command. This way, at least, you show you're willing to do the things you wouldn't ask someone else to risk.

Right, focus. Like a Green Lantern.

This is the sort of time when having heroes growing up would be useful, isn't it?
Well, you do now. And you're becoming one of them.

It's actually easier to focus on the ships. I mean, they're in the same direction. I'm not going 'miss the system' fast, so I don't need to worry about that. Just put my foot down and try and get there a bit before the big ships-.

Will they be able to slow down? I keep getting confused about who can do that. I can stop in no time flat, and I know some ships can do that too and other ones can't because of momentum?
Inertialess drive tech. Because big things moving want to keep moving. Though it no doubt has a high energy requirement.

See, this is why I didn't pay attention in science class. That shit's so inconsistent in the real world! Sometimes things work one way and sometimes they don't and you can't tell in advance!

Heh. Sadly, hindsight is 20/20. Too late now.

Go faster.

"Sorry, not used to this 'mental focus' thing."
Never hurts to practise, of course.

"That wasn't why I asked. I know Controller Jevek tried our modifications on you first. I thought that you might have one that made you faster."

"I wish. No, we've all got the same stuff." Huh. "Which is kind of weird when you think about it. Not like our species are related or anything."
Well, when you're as advanced as the Maltusians are... Biology is more like play-doh.

"I don't really think we're members of our old species anymore. Just.. burned effigies of them. We sacrifice our forms to fight the Reach. Perhaps we could be considered members of a new species, created purely to fight the Reach."

"I only picked 'Effigy' because I thought it sounded cool. I wasn't really thinking about it like that."
...Amusing, but keep that poetic idea in mind. Sounded good.

"Hah!" Oh, I recognise a smile! "Do 'orange lanterns' have significance in your culture?"

I get the feeling the veteran Darkstar noticed the boss was looking uncertain, and decided to distract him.

I mean, the Orange sigil is kind of a face. If you looked at the Ophidian from the right angle...

And that's the station coming up.
Mood lifted. Nicely done, Krillik.

"Right. I'll punch a hole, you get to their computer and see what you can get. Once I've-" Killed. "-got rid of the crew then I'll try distracting the ships."

"We might not have time."
Then rip it out and throw it towards wherever you think will do the most damage?

"Then we don't have time. But I'd feel like a prize idiot if it turned out it was that simple."

He sighs. "I wish I were a better computer technician. But a proper technical rig wouldn't survive… This."
Not on the surface, at least. Maybe something Cybertronian...

"I wish for a lot of things. But none of them matter right now either. We've just got to do what we can. And… Now."

We both slow down as the space station is there, and as I look past it I can just about see the fleet heading for us. The station's got a plasma shield up but we're both disrupting and punching as hard as we can and we make a hole in a few seconds.
Bet he wishes he had more powers right now. Something big, flashy and destructive...

Could be a trap..?

And on to the station and its turrets, none of which are big enough to do anything. No ships-. The station has turned its plasma shield off. Uh. Trying to give the incoming ships a clear shot? Doesn't matter. Wall… There looks like it leads somewhere, so-
Or your attack blew out its capacitors. Either way, it's irrelevant.

CRUNCH.

-through we go! Corridors, heavy doors closing and Reach people running-. Reach people melting and-. Bursting. Turret guns pop out of the walls and coloured gas starts getting pumped out of little… Pop-cap things. The gas smells a bit weird but I just push on through the space door.
Heh. Viltrumite mods letting him casually ignore potent nerve gas.

CRUNGK.

A couple of Reach people glance back as the door breaks and melts around me, but the sensible ones keep running. Then they all break and melt too because I can fly faster than they can run.
Like a hot knife through slightly crunchy butter...

It's so easy I'd feel bad if the Controller hadn't made sure I knew what sort of people they are.

"You know where we're going?!"

"Left and down a bit, I think?!"
If not, turn around and fly back? It won't take that long with superspeed...

Fucked if I've got a better idea. Didn't get briefed on the layout of this type of station. I melt whatever's in front of me and then turn, smashing though a wall, then another wall, and then… Er… A warehouse? A hangar? I set the Reach people working there on fire as I try and work out where to go next. No, wait, not that one. She's got a computer notepad thing. Grab, put the fire mostly out.
Drawback of such a destructive powerset. If you don't want something burnt, you have to think about that beforehand...

"Where's the command centre? And… What's in the crates?"

"I-. I will not tell you."
Wrong answer. Your survival is kind of dependent on being useful, you know?

"AYYYIIEEEE!"
Man, so much for trying to be nice...

"A-h-h-hieee w-won't-."
Determined, isn't she? still...

"YAAAAAAAGH!"
...Wrong answer. Hopefully she comes around while she has limbs left...

Well, that took a turn. from laughing about jack-o'lanterns to burning and splattering people across the walls. Amazing what you can do if you turn off your empathy. Still, this can't be great for Marty's mood, even if he's messing up 'bad' people. Sadly, I doubt mental health is a big concern on Jevek's part, as long as they remain functional.

side question here, Zoat:

i was thinking about the disembodied brains that OL recently discovered, and the skills gymnastics it must have taken to fabricate a body for it and the rest of the brains that were rescued from that experimental station that got raided.

whatever happened to that one Orange Lantern Doctor? i can't remember her name, she was from Sinestro's world, and she was one of the earliest recruits. i don't think we've heard about her since then, and i had imagined she would be the equivalent of a "Ships Doctor" or "Chief Medic" or something for the Corps. it would be right within her bailiwick to be on the front line of "new body creation and integration" for those rescued brains.

side question here, Zoat:

i was thinking about the disembodied brains that OL recently discovered, and the skills gymnastics it must have taken to fabricate a body for it and the rest of the brains that were rescued from that experimental station that got raided.

whatever happened to that one Orange Lantern Doctor? i can't remember her name, she was from Sinestro's world, and she was one of the earliest recruits. i don't think we've heard about her since then, and i had imagined she would be the equivalent of a "Ships Doctor" or "Chief Medic" or something for the Corps. it would be right within her bailiwick to be on the front line of "new body creation and integration" for those rescued brains.
Lantern Soranik Natu.

She's one of the few Lanterns would could do that, but her combat abilities are behind most of her fellow Lanterns. If they picked up a lot of brains she'd be called in, and she's probably being consulted on how other N.E.O.M. elements should handle things like that in the field, but there's no real need for her to be involve in this mission at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back