• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Do Or Die Time (part 21)
17th February 2013
20:51 GMT

"Messing with Batman's brain for the sake of a mission." Mr. Crock hasn't joined in the relief effort, and is standing a few metres away with his arms hanging loose at his sides. "Didn't think you had it in you."

"I thought I convinced you that I was willing to kill you."

"Some men will go a long way for pussy-."

"Please don't refer to your daughter like that. I love Jade, she isn't just a sex-object to me."

He mockingly holds up his hands. "I'm so sorry I hurt your feelings."

"If you're trying to make me go back on the 'not killing you' thing, keep talking."

"That's just it. You honestly had me convinced, but here I am, still alive."

"I know. I broke my word. I think it was the first time. Probably won't be the last. Not exactly impressed with myself, but that's true of a lot of things today. Did you want something specific?"

He shrugs. "You put the mission ahead of everything and you got it done. I was fine running around for Bats and Atom, but they obviously didn't have an actual solution to what was going on. You did. And you did something to Batman that meant you had to fix his brain afterwards."

Oh no.

I turn around, and a ring scan shows him smiling underneath his mask

"Really?"

"Some guys would be happier getting the approval of their girl's old man. You lose some points for not killing me, but I guess no one's completely reliable."

"Did you want something?"

"What happens next?"

"Not up to me. Rough guess… Hell, even a rough guess, I can't-. Okay, agricultural areas are probably least affected, and there are plenty of people who can take over unused plots. We don't have to worry about mass starvation-."

"To us. The Suicide Squad. The way I see it, there's an unusually high need for my services right now."

"Supply chains are still messed up. Even if money still had value, you'd struggle to buy anything. My advice? Volunteer for relief work and build up your résumé while living in the Tower of Fate in better conditions and eating better food than just about anyone else in the world. Once the Federal Government is working again, use your record to negotiate. Personally, I wouldn't let you out because I know full well that you're about as reformable as a weasel, but I could probably be persuaded to give you a job matching your skills that had you under constant observation."

"Is that an offer?"

I exhale sharply. "Strange thing is, I know Batman had you here in case we needed a new yellow ring user, but as far as I can tell the color you match best is orange. You're a man of your word, but it's purely as an acquisition strategy and not a sign of any actual morals. You kill and steal without any sort of ideology-."

"I've met plenty of people who killed for ideology. I don't think you'd like them any better that you like me."

"Not for impersonal reasons, no. But it's a matter of what gives life value, isn't it? Kobra cultists may be lunatics, but they're happy being lunatics. Kill them and they die happy. But for a man like you… As far as I can tell, it's just acquisitiveness."

"It's not just that. I like the work."

"Have you given any thought to how you want to retire? You're past your physical prime. You've got a decade or two before it becomes a serious problem, but you really should have thought about it."

"Got something in mind?"

"If you were working for the Orange Lantern Corps it would be simple. You could use an orange ring, you've already got good combat instincts. We could use you to train up our navy's special forces units, so that your skills aren't wasted in Belle Reve. Our medical technology is top tier, and once the full intensity gets a bit much you could demob to any of a hundred friendly planets. Heck, if you made yourself really useful we could just give you your own planet." I shrug. "At our level of technology, it's not that big a deal. And let's be honest, having alienated your whole family there isn't really anything keeping you on Earth."

"Huh. I might actually-."

"I mean, I'm obviously not offering you that, because Jade hates you, Artemis hates you and I don't like you, but it would be logical."

I rise into the air.

"Don't make me come looking for you, Mister Crock."

What's the next priority? Working out how to get Atlantis to unshield itself, working out how to bring Themyscira back…

I look down at Washington, District of Columbia.

Malvolio's getting people off the ships in the bay. But-.

No command and control. Not for the billions of people who could fix a lot of problems. Communications-.

No. Short term. Food. Transportation hasn't happened. Roads are blocked. How do we keep people fed in the short term, given that there aren't anything like enough Justice League members to run a worldwide supply network?

Brazil. Euanthe and Pamela could create food plants fast enough… It would damage roads and pavements as they made the vines burst through, but it would be easier to make highly efficient food plants readily available than it would be to get shipping and hauling working again. Depending on how long each one takes to set up…

But a planet is huge. Even if we only do the most densely populated cities, it would take…

I don't even know.

They've got a few druids… Can't contact Persephone, if she would even want to help. And if Dr. Holland didn't take any action while the Anti-Life infected the world then I doubt that he'd be interested in getting involved now.

Medical…

There's no great reserve of human physicians that I have access to-.

I

raise my right hand to my forehead and vanish,

reappearing on Maltus, just outside of Dox's office and knocking on the door.

The doors slide open. "Come in, Illustres." I obey, and the doors close behind me. "I take it that the Earth is no longer under the affect of the Anti-Life."

"Yes. The Atlanteans. Can I take them home for a month or so?"

"That would not disrupt any critical operations. And it would encourage them to keep working for us in the long term." He nods, once. "You have my permission."

I nod, and take the red ring out of my pouch. "Can you find somewhere safe to put this? My hiding places have a poor track record."

"Certainly. Leave it on the desk. And keep me updated on your progress. In the long term, N.E.M.O. will need to fight Apokolips as well."

Last edited:
On the one hand they are both ageless, capable of convenient interstellar travel and share enemies. The odds that they will never encounter each other again are vanishingly small.
On the other hand Paul has been killed before and would probably not object to it happening again should the need arise.

I really wish I could get away with using that phrase when talking to customers.

Give it a few centuries and Orion will very likely mostly forgive OL, at least enough not to make any serious attempt at maiming him or doing something that would kill almost anyone else. After all Orion did manage to hit his Bio-dad fairly hard and is likely going to be calmer now that he had a more direct relationship with the Red Light of RAGE.

No. Short term. Food. Transportation hasn't happened. Roads are blocked. How do we keep people fed in the short term, given that there aren't anything like enough Justice League members to run a worldwide supply network.
Doesn't he have a recently captured space fleet with teleporters?

I exhale sharply. "Strange thing is, I know Batman had you here in case we needed a new yellow ring user, but as far as I can tell the color you match best is orange. You're a man of your word, but it's purely as a acquisition strategy and not a sign of any actual morals. You kill and steal without any sort of ideology-."
That should say 'an'.

17th February 2013
20:51 GMT

"Messing with Batman's brain for the sake of a mission." Mr. Crock hasn't joined in the relief effort, and is standing a few metres away with his arms hanging loose at his sides. "Didn't think you had it in you."

"I thought I convinced you that I was willing to kill you."
So don't go pushing your luck, Sportsmaster. His rep with the league is already a bit unsteady, I don't think killing you would make it that much worse. Especially if you do something foolish that forces him to defend himself...

"Some men will go a long way for pussy-."

"Please don't refer to your daughter like that. I love Jade, she isn't just a sex-object to me."
Honestly, I don't think he ever viewed them with that kind of love. Or any at all. They were assets to him...

He mockingly holds up his hands. "I'm so sorry I hurt your feelings."

"If you're trying to make me go back on the 'not killing you' thing, keep talking."
And if he's like this with the other Leaguers, I suspect some of them won't have a problem with him ceasing to exist.

"That's just it. You honestly had me convinced, but here I am, still alive."

"I know. I broke my word. I think it was the first time. Probably won't be the last. Not exactly impressed with myself, but that's true of a lot of things today. Did you want something specific?"
After all, Crock is still useful right now. When he ceases to be useful, well...

He shrugs. "You put the mission ahead of everything and you got it done. I was fine running around for Bats and Atom, but they obviously didn't have an actual solution to what was going on. You did. And you did something to Batman that meant you had to fix his brain afterwards."

Oh no.
Ah. I see. He thinks he's got some kind of dirt on OL that he thinks will be embarrassing to come out, huh?

"Really?"
Blackmailing a man who has or can get anything he wants? Pointless.

"Some guys would be happier getting the approval of their girl's old man. You lose some points for not killing me, but I guess no one's completely reliable."

"Did you want something?"
...Yeah, Jade and Artemis would probably like their father being dead, but it's honestly more trouble than it's worth actually doing it.

"What happens next?"

"Not up to me. Rough guess… Hell, even a rough guess, I can't-. Okay, agricultural areas are probably least affected, and there are plenty of people who can take over unused plots. We don't have to worry about mass starvation-."

"To us. The Suicide Squad. The way I see it, there's a unusually high need for my services right now."
Oh, that name's going to just stick around forever, isn't it? No matter how much Waller or whoever ends up commanding Task Force X insists, it'll still be called that...

"Supply chains are still messed up. Even if money still had value, you'd struggle to buy anything. My advice? Volunteer for relief work and build up your résumé while living in the Tower of Fate in better conditions and eating better food than just about anyone else in the world. Once the Federal Government is working again, use your record to negotiate. Personally, I wouldn't let you out because I know full well that you're about as reformable as a weasel, but I could probably be persuaded to give you a job matching your skills that had you under constant observation."
Admittedly, it'd be a DC so high that you'd need to be a God to manage it, but he could be persuaded.

"Is that an offer?"

I exhale sharply. "Strange thing is, I know Batman had you here in case we needed a new yellow ring user, but as far as I can tell the color you match best is orange. You're a man of your word, but it's purely as a acquisition strategy and not a sign of any actual morals. You kill and steal without any sort of ideology-."
...Not that OL would ever let you within a hundred feet of using an Orange Ring unless you were a Construct Lantern...

"I've met plenty of people who killed for ideology. I don't think you'd like them any better that you like me."

"Not for impersonal reasons, no. But it's a matter of what gives life value, isn't it? Kobra cultists may be lunatics, but they're happy being lunatics. Kill them and they die happy. But for a man like you… As far as I can tell, it's just acquisitiveness."
No greater goal than getting rich? That can't be the sole reason.

"It's not just that. I like the work."

"Have you given any thought to how you want to retire? You're past your physical prime. You've got a decade or two before it becomes a serious problem, but you really should have thought about it."

"Got something in mind?"
I'm reminded of Emil Blonsky's subplot in the MCU hulk movie. The old soldier who wants to fight for the thrill of it, but his body's slowing down... It's why he went for the knock-off Soldier serum and then the hulk-blood... I doubt OL would ever let Crock have anything like that, though.

"If you were working for the Orange Lantern Corps it would be simple. You could use an orange ring, you've already got good combat instincts. We could use you to train up our navy's special forces units, so that your skills aren't wasted in Belle Reve. Our medical technology is top tier, and once the full intensity gets a bit much you could demob to any of a hundred friendly planets. Heck, if you made yourself really useful we could just give you your own planet." I shrug. "At our level of technology, it's not that big a deal. And let's be honest, having alienated your whole family there isn't really anything keeping you on Earth."
A pity he wouldn't get on well with certain leadership elements...

"Huh. I might actually-."

"I mean, I'm obviously not offering you that, because Jade hates you, Artemis hate you and I don't like you, but it would be logical."
Ha! Way to string him along, OL. Get his hopes up with that prize only to 'nope' it away.

I rise into the air.

"Don't make me come looking for you, Mister Crock."
Because next time, he won't rescind his kill-on-sight protocols.

What's the next priority? Working out how to get Atlantis to unshield itself, working out how to bring Themyscira back…

I look down at Washington, District of Columbia.
I think those problems might settle themselves once those responsible realise things have settled down...

Malvolio's getting people off the ships in the bay. But-.

No command and control. Not for the billions of people who could fix a lot of problems. Communications-.
Just a matter of the right people on the right places.

No. Short term. Food. Transportation hasn't happened. Roads are blocked. How do we keep people fed in the short term, given that there aren't anything like enough Justice League members to run a worldwide supply network.

Brazil. Euanthe and Pamela could create food plants fast enough… It would damage roads and pavements as they made the vines burst through, but it would be easier to make highly efficient food plants readily available than it would be to get shipping and hauling working again. Depending on how long each one takes to set up…
I hate to agree with Vaermina, but what happened to the alien ship in orbit you captured? I know you sent others packing but isn't there at least one? Or are you considering that amongst the insufficient League assets?

But a planet is huge. Even if we only do the most densely populated cities, it would take…

I don't even know.
More people than you have. Unless you're willing to look for outside help...

They've got a few druids… Can't contact Persephone, if she would even want to help. And if Dr. Holland didn't take any action while the Anti-Life infected the world then I doubt that he'd be interested in getting involved now.

Medical…
Bottom of a deep hole looking up, it looks bad right now. Just start climbing, though.

There's no great reserve of human physicians that I have access to-.

I
You need more than doctors right now.

raise my right hand to my forehead and vanish,

reappearing on Maltus, just outside of Dox's office and knocking on the door.
All right. Going to request aid from NEMO, or at least supplies? Food replicators, perhaps?

The doors slide open. "Come in, Illustres." I obey, and the doors close behind me. "I take it that the Earth is no longer under the affect of the Anti-Life."

"Yes. The Atlanteans. Can I take them home for a month or so?"

"That would not disrupt any critical operations. And it would encourage them to keep working for us in the long term." He nods, once. "You have my permission."
I bet Dox saw this coming and made sure they'd be available.

I nod, and take the red ring out of my pouch. "Can you find somewhere safe to put this? My hiding places have a poor track record."

"Certainly. Leave it on the desk. And keep me updated on your progress. In the long term, N.E.M.O. will need to fight Apokolips as well."
...Doesn't sound like the best idea to leave it laying around, even with someone as tightly controlled as Dox...

I assume he wants the Atlanteans to try and get through to their cities' leaders and get them to bring down their shields. Which would at least give the League access to more mystical routes of support. I have a feeling Dolmen Gates will be in very high demand soon. Meanwhile, it'll be a matter of getting national capitals back on their feet to get their infrastructure back into action...

Oh no.

I don't understand this didn't Paul restore Batman's brain to how it was before?

Paul does not have to recruit Sportsmaster himself. He could place a note to file and drop hints with Dox or someone else.

Personal issues tend to mess with logical situations. You do not have to like your coworkers, but you do realize they can play an important part. That aside, fuck Sportsmaster.

That should say 'an'.
given that there aren't anything like enough Justice League members to run a worldwide supply network?
Thank you, corrected.
I hate to agree with Vaermina, but what happened to the alien ship in orbit you captured? I know you sent others packing but isn't there at least one? Or are you considering that amongst the insufficient League assets?
Most people can't eat space ships. It could be used for some transportation I suppose, but it doesn't fix the underlying problems and isn't anything like enough to patch over them itself. Did you have something specific in mind that it could be used for?

Huh. How much greed would you need to be able to turn Earth-16's surviving surface population into Bismollians?
You'd have to think that... 'Bismollian' existence was superior to all other forms of human existence and that all humans being 'Bismolliam' in some way was essential for your goals.

It would be a stretch for most people.

Sounds like he needs to contact the Green Lantern corps and ask them to bring a few cities worth of rations, water purification tablets, and easy-to-recharge transport vehicles. The client races for the Controllers (plus mass-produced translation devices) could be a good option too.

And how do you help keep people emotionally stable, instead of flickering between highs and lows? Hire a bunch of Tamaraneans for human resources and support roles. They have experience with destroyed infrastructure, and they love Paul. Maybe some of that squid race and the blind-your-women species too, though they'd need translators. Disaster relief should be a thing on alien worlds which are 15 minutes into the future in terms of technology.

Do the Guardians know about the life entity, and therefore would it be safe to ask them to prioritise restoration of Earth?

I kept expecting Paul getting Anti-Lifed twice in this campaign to have some blowback to the OLC, perhaps transmitting an infection to Dox or Hinon.

Did Sportsmaster hear Sinestro's name st any point, and might he now be tempted to reach out in that direction?

Do the Guardians know about the life entity, and therefore would it be safe to ask them to prioritise restoration of Earth?
They are aware, as in this story, they're the ones who put it in Earth in the first place. They also hid it 4 other times before Earth, with the previous location now being known as New Genesis and Apokolips. This story blended the origins of the New Gods and the Life Entity so that the latter's presence is the reason as to why Earth is the "Fifth World" and New Genesis and Apokolips are collectively known as the "Fourth World".

"To us. The Suicide Squad. The way I see it, there's an unusually high need for my services right now

Yeah, with civilization collapsing there are bound to be a lot of warlords popping up.

I wouldn't let you out because I know full well that you're about as reformable as a weasel

Now that's an insult to weasels.

"hates"

They've got a few druids… Can't contact Persephone, if she would even want to help

Are she and Hades still memory wiped?

If not then are they getting divorced?

I know Hades was hopeful that the memory wipe could help, but I doubt it would since if he reverts to his old personality then he may be too cold and distant for her.

Plus once they regain their memories Persephone could still choose to have the divorce even if she liked the time they spent together since that would probably not fix her living in fear and misery for thousands of years.

And if Dr. Holland didn't take any action while the Anti-Life infected the world then I doubt that he'd be interested in getting involved now.

I'm not sure if Swamp Thing is even alive right now.

When Paul met with Eutanthe, she told him that she couldn't find him.

I think she took his place.

I'm not sure if Swamp Thing is even alive right now.

When Paul met with Eutanthe, she told him that she couldn't find him.

I think she took his place.
She went beyond that. It was mentioned that the Parliament of Trees went silent after the Anti-Life infected the Green, leading Paul to declare Euanthe the Queen of the Green, a title she begrudgingly accepted. If Swamp Thing is still around, that makes Euanthe his boss.

She went beyond that. It was mentioned that the Parliament of Trees went silent after the Anti-Life infected the Green, leading Paul to declare Euanthe the Queen of the Green, a title she begrudgingly accepted. If Swamp Thing is still around, that makes Euanthe his boss.

I doubt she'd be able to keep the position if the Parliament pressed the issue.

Oh, that name's going to just stick around forever, isn't it? No matter how much Waller or whoever ends up commanding Task Force X insists, it'll still be called that...

It happens sometimes.

There was a store in my hometown that's been closed for over a decade now, but everyone still refers to the place by its old name, even after a new one opened up there.

Heck, the bus I take to work has a paper printed out about which locations it goes to and it has the old name of the store.

. I see. He thinks he's got some kind of dirt on OL that he thinks will be embarrassing to come out, huh?

Ir he's at least liking the fact that one of the good guys did something so horrible.

I hate to agree with Vaermina

We all hate doing that.

Fortunately they're wrong most of the time so we don't feel disgusted.

Doesn't sound like the best idea to leave it laying around, even with someone as tightly controlled as Dox..

Paul's not exactly at the best head-space right now.

I kinda hope they're really gone, since Paul could ask Euanthe for a favor if he really needs one, and that favor can be something big if she's in charge of the Green.

Though it would be preferable if they're still around since they may know more about how to fix the Green and with the aid Paul gave them, they could also grant him a favor.

Sounds like he needs to contact the Green Lantern corps and ask them to bring a few cities worth of rations, water purification tablets, and easy-to-recharge transport vehicles. The client races for the Controllers (plus mass-produced translation devices) could be a good option too.
Why? A single motivated orange lantern could make all that.

Why? A single motivated orange lantern could make all that.
Because Green Lanterns are superheroes who can help via miraculous abilities as part of their temporary deployment, and I figure they could come anyway as guards if a Guardian is sent to inspect Earth.

This will take months to stabilize, and Paul knows that certain repetitive tasks (fixing Gotham) can't be brute-forced with his Orange light enlightenment. Yes, Paul or another lantern could materialize supplies. But delivering them, talking to people who won't hoard them, setting up supply lines, and so-on isn't a task for a single lantern or a speedster. This will take months and require near-constant supervision in many different parts of the world.

As an aside, I wonder if there are any more cloned bodies of Paul with deadmans-switches ticking down. Also, given what Batman said about the superheroes with Apokalypse tech in their brains, I wonder if Question and the others will pull through. Could Scott Free call a New God doctor for them now that Earth has been purged?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back