• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Xenforo - Do you guys want it here?

Introspective Tinkerer said:
Is this going to make it more difficult to log in?
Same login system that SB and SV or Smogon, or any other XF forum has. So no it won't. Arguably easier in fact due to the drop down login menu that XF has.

Peanuckle said:
I agree with most of those points, though I don't think SB and SV much care for direct links here.

While it's good to play nice, in the end, not really their business. And I don't think they really care that we exist or if we upgrade to Xenforo.

How about we have a thread poll, or a vote where we can have a clear tally? And along with votes, pledges from people willing to foot the bill?

I can do that, sure. It's a good idea, even.

I do have some concerns about shifting to a paid system:

First, the people who pay may feel entitled to special treatment. Avatars or custom designs are fun, but what if they want privileges? Will they hold the forum ransom for their likes?

Nobody gets special treatment Re: the Rules because of money. I may add a subscriber system similar in some ways to SB's, but when it comes to the rules, everyone follows the same set.

What if the money dries up? Would the forum shut down entirely? Is there going to be an archive made of all this?

I do weekly back-ups, so there will an archive if the forum dries up. Not looking for that to really happen, though.

QQ is a pretty ranchy place. Would the guys who provide the XF license take offense to any of the material here and refuse to let it be hosted on their software?

None of their business, really. It'd be like Microsoft throwing a fit because someone used Office to write pr0n, but Vanathor has done the leg work and says it's not even in their terms. And from a quick read-over, I agree. Xenforo makes clear that whatever you do with the software in regards to content is on your head, not theirs.

Here's a question; can our hardware effectively run XF? I don't know what the server specs are, but I've been noticing a lot of lag recently, and I'm not sure if it's a local issue or server-side.

DuskAtDawn said:
Here's a question; can our hardware effectively run XF? I don't know what the server specs are.

That won't be a problem. XF isn't hard on servers to begin with, and we're not a big forum. SB's problem was their large number of users.

It would be nice to fix QQ's shitty PM system. I could drop $10 or something towards that.

I've been giving some thought on how to handle forum funds, for accountability.

What I've been thinking about is a locked topic that will detail a) how much money is donated each month, b) what the expenses are each month, and c) the total donation funds remaining. I would update it whenever a donation was received, and whenever an expense was paid.

The donations would not be attributed to names, for privacy. So if three of you each donated $5 for a total of $15 in a month, all that would show up would be an entry for the date of each donation and the amount, but no names.

Also, the topic of over-pledging. We have two ways to work it: One, I can contact the few who pledged the largest amounts and work out how much we'd actually need from each. Two, pledgers can pay in whatever they are willing to, and any excess will go into the fund to be tracked as above, and used towards future expenses.

I would recommend just track what's available and put it towards future expenses.

teh elgee said:
I've been giving some thought on how to handle forum funds, for accountability.

What I've been thinking about is a locked topic that will detail a) how much money is donated each month, b) what the expenses are each month, and c) the total donation funds remaining. I would update it whenever a donation was received, and whenever an expense was paid.

The donations would not be attributed to names, for privacy. So if three of you each donated $5 for a total of $15 in a month, all that would show up would be an entry for the date of each donation and the amount, but no names.

Also, the topic of over-pledging. We have two ways to work it: One, I can contact the few who pledged the largest amounts and work out how much we'd actually need from each. Two, pledgers can pay in whatever they are willing to, and any excess will go into the fund to be tracked as above, and used towards future expenses.

I've thought about this, and on the 'overpledging' thing I wouldn't be adverse (if/when I donate money) for the overflow to help defray the costs for the server and such. Obviously, keeping the license for Xenforo would be priority for the account, but I wouldn't mind it if my donation also helped keep QQ up and going and such.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can throw in something as well here.

Alerts and watched threads like on SB would be very nice indeed.

Sadly I do not have a steady Job, so giving Money is pretty much out. I won't be bothered if you Keep things as they are though.

ChandraMagic said:
I've thought about this, and on the 'overpledging' thing I wouldn't be adverse (if/when I donate money) for the overflow to help defray the costs for the server and such. Obviously, keeping the license for Xenforo would be priority for the account, but I wouldn't mind it if my donation also helped keep QQ up and going and such.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Agreed. For that matter, is there a general paypal account to help keep the server rented? Even if this doesn't go through (and it looks like it will), I'd like to help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we get to use Xenforo, then I'll be happy, and there'll be more quests, since the current stuff is...difficult to format text.

DuskAtDawn said:
Agreed. For that matter, is there a general paypal account to help keep the server rented? Even if this doesn't go through (and it looks like it will), I'd like to help out.

I just use the one I posted above. When it comes time to pay the monthly fee, I just add money to it then pay it right back out.

teh elgee said:
I just use the one I posted above. When it comes time to pay the monthly fee, I just add money to it then pay it right back out.
From the looks of it, funding won't be an issue for purchase and maintenance of the site and license, based on the numbers pledged. What does the poll look like right now for going through with it? Do we have a course of action approximately decided?

Vanathor said:
From the looks of it, funding won't be an issue for purchase and maintenance of the site and license, based on the numbers pledged. What does the poll look like right now for going through with it? Do we have a course of action approximately decided?

22 for, 4 against. It seems likely that it will happen.

There is still the topic of what extras are desired. Here is the list. Note that each extra will require additional money when it comes time to renew the license.

I don't think the extras are necessary. It's not like we're so busy here we need a fancy search engine.

teh elgee said:
22 for, 4 against. It seems likely that it will happen.

There is still the topic of what extras are desired. Here is the list. Note that each extra will require additional money when it comes time to renew the license.
It has come to my attention courtesy a2znut that paypal may not be the best route to go in terms of transferring money due to their terms and conditions. Specifically Here:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full
You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:
2. relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (d) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (e) items that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (f) items that are considered obscene, (g) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (h) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (i) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (j), certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
While it would probably not normally be an issue or something they would care about, if one of the trolls like SeaDart or someone were to start spamming reports to paypal... So an alternative like google wallet or patreon or the like account would have be used.

In regards to extra options, the only one I want - and based on what I can tell, others want - is the expanded search feature. Is already accounted for in the pledge number goal.

Vanathor said:
It has come to my attention courtesy azznut that paypal may not be the best route to go in terms of transferring money due to their terms and conditions. Specifically Here:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-fullWhile it would probably not normally be an issue or something they would care about, if one of the trolls like SeaDart or someone were to start spamming reports to paypal. So an alternative like google wallet or patreon or the like account would have be used.

Patreon is full of SJ bullshit. One of the criteria of what unacceptable is 'may make someone uncomfortable'. Fuck that. Plus it requires creation of things, which this wouldn't be about. It'd also still require a Paypal account for the funds to go into.

Google Wallet is out because Xenforo doesn't seem to accept it.

Like I said, I've been using Paypal for this site since it was created. It's not been an issue.

teh elgee said:
Patreon is full of SJ bullshit. One of the criteria of what unacceptable is 'may make someone uncomfortable'. Fuck that. Plus it requires creation of things, which this wouldn't be about. It'd also still require a Paypal account for the funds to go into.

Google Wallet is out because Xenforo doesn't seem to accept it.

Like I said, I've been using Paypal for this site since it was created. It's not been an issue.
Well, that's true. And even if they did hypothetically shut it down, they money would not exactly disappear or anything.

Regarding Google Wallet: You can use it just like paypal - transfer the money from the wallet over to a bank account and then use a relevant card to pay with the collected funds.

Looking more into it, I don't think Paypal's policy has any bearing on this. What we'd be using it for is paying for a webhost subscription and software licensing fees. The actual content of the forum is not involved with the account or the money.

teh elgee said:
Looking more into it, I don't think Paypal's policy has any bearing on this. What we'd be using it for is paying for a webhost subscription and software licensing fees. The actual content of the forum is not involved with the account or the money.
When do you want us to start sending money then?

Alright, I've cloned the forum in preparation for testing Xenforo's beta SMF forum conversion software.

The address is testforum.questionablequesting.com. Please visit it and test that it works for you. If you have errors, send me a message(here or there).

Note, also, that the testforum will not be backed up or saved. Don't post anything you don't want to lose.

teh elgee said:
Alright, I've cloned the forum in preparation for testing Xenforo's beta SMF forum conversion software.

The address is testforum.questionablequesting.com. Please visit it and test that it works for you. If you have errors, send me a message(here or there).

Note, also, that the testforum will not be backed up or saved. Don't post anything you don't want to lose.

On the test forum, I can't seem to log out. But I am on a tablet so that may have something to do with it.

It's not just you; I can't sign out either, and I'm on desktop.

Also, don't know if it was intentional, but the vote-up button is missing, as is the text for "add multi-quote", and the "IRC" link in the drop-down menu in the upper left brings me to the IRC channel here, not a seperate one. That last bit's probably normal, though, I just don't have experience in IRC to compare it with.

I just get a message that it's on maintenance mode. Is that normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back