• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

XF2 transition feedback

I have an odd problem. I'm using the "Blackened Green" theme and I have to keep selecting "Change width" at the bottom because it keeps reseting itself to the full-screen default.

It seems like clicking the button creates a cookie called "xf_toggle" that is randomly deleted after some time. It's not being deleted on browser close (or at least, not just that) and it's not being deleted at the set expiration time (which is in 1 year). It just seems like it gets deleted on some random page load. Obviously, I'd like the width setting to persist more than some random time between 30 seconds and 3 hours, but I have no idea why it's doing this.

To recreate this bug- click the width button to make page narrow, see cookie is created, navigate the site normally for a while (it generally resets pretty fast but I've had it seemingly last for a few hours or even a full day), eventually the screen will be wide again, check if the cookie exists, it'll be gone (explaining why width is back to default).

The cookie is url encoded by default and looks like this (I've removed the integers since I don't know what they are or if they're uniquely identifying and related to anything else):
Code:
Default: %7B%22_xb-width%22%3A%5B%3C10%20digit%20integer%3E%2C%3C8%20digit%20integer%3E%2Cfalse%5D%7D
URL Decoded: {"_xb-width":[<10 digit integer>,<8 digit integer>,false]}

The 8 digit integer uses the same number in the button, labeled "data-storage-expiry."

I'm using Firefox 125.0.3.

Last edited:
I have an odd problem. I'm using the "Blackened Green" theme and I have to keep selecting "Change width" at the bottom because it keeps reseting itself to the full-screen default.

It seems like clicking the button creates a cookie called "xf_toggle" that is randomly deleted after some time. It's not being deleted on browser close (or at least, not just that) and it's not being deleted at the set expiration time (which is in 1 year). It just seems like it gets deleted on some random page load. Obviously, I'd like the width setting to persist more than some random time between 30 seconds and 3 hours, but I have no idea why it's doing this.

To recreate this bug- click the width button to make page narrow, see cookie is created, navigate the site normally for a while (it generally resets pretty fast but I've had it seemingly last for a few hours or even a full day), eventually the screen will be wide again, check if the cookie exists, it'll be gone (explaining why width is back to default).

The cookie is url encoded by default and looks like this (I've removed the integers since I don't know what they are or if they're uniquely identifying and related to anything else):
Code:
Default: %7B%22_xb-width%22%3A%5B%3C10%20digit%20integer%3E%2C%3C8%20digit%20integer%3E%2Cfalse%5D%7D
URL Decoded: {"_xb-width":[<10 digit integer>,<8 digit integer>,false]}

The 8 digit integer uses the same number in the button, labeled "data-storage-expiry."

I'm using Firefox 125.0.3.

On further testing, I'm able to recreate this 100% of the time with a couple really stupid methods. It still might get triggered outside of this at other points, but this recreates the bug every time for me on both Firefox and Microsoft Edge. To recreate, do this exact sequence of events to trigger the behavior:

1. Go to the main forum page (https://forum.questionablequesting.com/)
2. Scroll to bottom, ensure you have "Blackened Green" selected
3. Click on "Change Width"
4. Scroll up and open 3 different threads from the NSFW section in new tabs. (Do this through middle clicking. They must be threads. Forums themselves don't seem to trigger this behavior- at least, I haven't been able to prove that. SFW threads also won't trigger this so far, interestingly enough?)
5. In each new tab, refresh the page. On the second or third thread, after refreshing it'll reset the width.

Furthermore, if you right click on a thread to open a new tab (instead of a middle mouse click) and refresh it, it almost always triggers with just 1 tab instead of 2 or 3. Again, this applies to both Firefox and Edge.

It seems like it's ONLY applying to threads in NSFW Creative Writing, NSFW Questing, NSFW Play-by-Post. I can't recreate it using any other Forums' threads, even the NSFW Story Archive(?). This may just be me not opening enough. It may have something to do with the validation checks for users being signed on for NSFW. There may be something in random users' posts causing this behavior (maybe images or something?)... But at this point my testing is making it seem like witchcraft.

Truly, this is a cursed issue... Good luck with figuring this one out guys, lol.

Edit: I've been able to recreate this opening some non-NSFW threads in the normal Creative Writing forum, so the NSFW theories are out.

Last edited:
So, I just popped into my snippet thread to do a quick wordcount on a thing I started writing and I couldn't help but notice the new message. I love the fact that we actually have an anti-necromancy warning now. Hopefully people actually notice that ginormous thing and pay attention to it.

Edit: Oof, okay, so I just pasted in what I typed up and all I've got to say is holy mother of spacing. Every new line/paragraph ended up triple spaced as soon as I pasted it. Hopefully this is just a short term issue, because that'll get annoying real fast. On the bright side, it actually kept the formatting from my notes. XF1 never did that, so that was a nice change.

Funnily enough, I'm having the opposite problem in that it keeps switching away from the full screen width. I did a quick check in the preferences and didn't see anything that popped up in regards to that aside from the button at the bottom of every QQ page that switches it between the two.

Last edited:
I am getting way too many on-site alerts of people replying. I want alerts only when OP replies. Any solution for this?

I am getting way too many on-site alerts of people replying. I want alerts only when OP replies. Any solution for this?
Check your settings, make sure that checking your alerts isn't causing QQ to flag the threads as read. Specifically this
Generate new alerts without reading threads
is the option you want to have unchecked. IIRC, it's on by default.

The first Threadmark (summary of complaints to that point, since updated a few times) still has most of the 'they changed it, now it sucks/I can't find it' complaints left off. But I added a how-to on Alerts & how to unbork them at the end. So...y'know, check the threadmarks.

Hey, is it possible to have threads that we no longer visit don't pop up in our alerts just like in the previous version?

The number of notifications is kinda getting a bit too much to handle.

🤔
And in your case (if you haven't done it already, and in addition to the 'uncheck 'Generate new alerts without reading threads' box you've already been advised), it's probably time to go over your Watched threads list and trim it down.

And in your case (if you haven't done it already, and in addition to the 'uncheck 'Generate new alerts without reading threads' box you've already been advised), it's probably time to go over your Watched threads list and trim it down.
I have something similar where the news feed is showing me threads I've set to ignore but are showing up anyway. I think it's because I'm following the thread creator for their other stories.

The notification is in a default setting I think. I used to only get notifications for the OP (which is my preference ). Now I get every notification from readers despite repeatedly setting notifications to OP's posts only. Please @alethiophile someone should fix it.

The first Threadmark (summary of complaints to that point, since updated a few times) still has most of the 'they changed it, now it sucks/I can't find it' complaints left off. But I added a how-to on Alerts & how to unbork them at the end. So...y'know, check the threadmarks.
Thank you for doing this, it might help with some of the complaints about things that are fixable if you search a bit.
(I know it won't make them go away, because humans, but you know)

Also may I suggest you also bold the following in that post?
then click the Save button.

SB has the full selection of old Emojis, can we get them back too?
Also there's a weird thing where on mobile the text in the text editor is much larger than it is when the post sends.

Also also, it's confusing when the like button barely changes after you press it, SB has it change to the word "remove", could we get that too?

Have you tried using the stock XF2 editor (froala)? SV/SB have additional copy/paste support and it looks like that got implemented too when QQ updated to XF2
I have no idea what that is. Can you give me a brief synopsis?

Idk if it has already been mentioned, but I am getting absolutely bombarded with notifications I don't want. On watched stories I want only a notif when the OP answers/posts and a single notification for when someone else posted in the thread. The second notification shouldn't refresh on its own unless quite some time has passed or I actually viewed that thread.

It would, of course be even more preferable if we could just follow stories with notifications only for threadmarked posts, but as it was before was fine as well.

Idk if it has already been mentioned
The notification is in a default setting I think. I used to only get notifications for the OP (which is my preference ). Now I get every notification from readers despite repeatedly setting notifications to OP's posts only. Please @alethiophile someone should fix it.

See if any of this helps, if not then it's definitely something to be looked into

VVV

They auto-enabled an option.

Go to 'Preferences' > Scroll down to 'Alert Preferences' > Find the box for 'Generate new alerts without reading threads' > Make sure it isn't checked

If it is checked, then it'll automatically alert you to every thread *as if* every time you checked alerts you *actually* went and read the thread. When unchecked, alerts act the same as they previously did.
Additionally, under Preferences, at the bottom, you can outright customize what you get alerts for.

Only OP responses? They have that. Reactions? Profile Posts? Replies in general? They have all of those, you just have to look for them. You can enable/disable at your pleasure.

While there isn't an option for 'threadmarks only', there IS an option for 'The thread starter replies to a watched thread' which is roughly equivalent.

Under the category 'Settings by notification category: When someone…' you have two boxes:

[X] Alert [X] Pop-up auto-read

'Alert' means that when a given action happens, you get an alert for it.
'Pop-up auto-read' means that the alert will be marked as read as soon as you see it in your alerts, without having to click on the alert.

To get the same functionality as the previous alert system, or at least the one I used, you need to ensure:

'Generate new alerts without reading threads' >>> NOT CHECKED (This is the option that means you ALWAYS get an Alert for EVERY REPLY as if you had actually gone and read the post every time)
'Pop-up auto-read' >>> CHECKED

It was said earlier, but given how often it's asked, like, we really do need a sticky on the frontpage saying "Hey, you can change alert settings".

It was said earlier, but given how often it's asked, like, we really do need a sticky on the frontpage saying "Hey, you can change alert settings".
Might be an idea, don't know how many still didn't check for that, but tbh I would just put the default settings for anyone who hasn't touched them yet back to the old default ones.

For best effect, maybe have it with a link to a thread in the Announcements section - "Welcome to Xenforo 2: Don't Panic" or something, where it goes through all the increased/changed functionality and how to use and/or deal with it.

Make no mistake, there are a lot of goodies bundled in with the changeover as is, with the prospect - or at least potential - of more of them coming later. Only a few of them have actually been mentioned though, and not much in the way of detail. It's not so bad for long-time SB or SV users, but not all of our userbase came from those places or kept up with their transitions.

Might be an idea, don't know how many still didn't check for that, but tbh I would just put the default settings for anyone who hasn't touched them yet back to the old default ones.

Definitely agree that the default settings should be the ones that make the functionality as similar to the old functionality as possible.

But changing it again might fuck it up for everyone that already changed it, I don't know how the backend works tbh.

For best effect, maybe have it with a link to a thread in the Announcements section - "Welcome to Xenforo 2: Don't Panic" or something, where it goes through all the increased/changed functionality and how to use and/or deal with it.

We ABSOLUTELY could use a "XF2 FAQ" thread for the most basic questions, it'd be pretty useful for people, going by this thread. Also something that could easily be linked to via announcement, yeah.

At least for things that can be changed via settings and aren't actual errors that should be in this thread instead.

Is there something similar to tag cloud?

I don't know if this has been mentioned but all die rolls are now forced to the bottom and you can't have any text under them apparently. Link to an example.

Edit: Also, is there a place where we can see the changelog?

Last edited:
In the dark (and blackened) themes, some elements (like the notification on top of the site) is still light colored + the contrast is bad (white text on light gray).

Otherwise so far so good.

Tho imo dark isnt dark enough, and blackened isnt the "black amoled" i expected either.

On further testing, I'm able to recreate this 100% of the time with a couple really stupid methods. It still might get triggered outside of this at other points, but this recreates the bug every time for me on both Firefox and Microsoft Edge. To recreate, do this exact sequence of events to trigger the behavior:

1. Go to the main forum page (https://forum.questionablequesting.com/)
2. Scroll to bottom, ensure you have "Blackened Green" selected
3. Click on "Change Width"
4. Scroll up and open 3 different threads from the NSFW section in new tabs. (Do this through middle clicking. They must be threads. Forums themselves don't seem to trigger this behavior- at least, I haven't been able to prove that. SFW threads also won't trigger this so far, interestingly enough?)
5. In each new tab, refresh the page. On the second or third thread, after refreshing it'll reset the width.

Furthermore, if you right click on a thread to open a new tab (instead of a middle mouse click) and refresh it, it almost always triggers with just 1 tab instead of 2 or 3. Again, this applies to both Firefox and Edge.

It seems like it's ONLY applying to threads in NSFW Creative Writing, NSFW Questing, NSFW Play-by-Post. I can't recreate it using any other Forums' threads, even the NSFW Story Archive(?). This may just be me not opening enough. It may have something to do with the validation checks for users being signed on for NSFW. There may be something in random users' posts causing this behavior (maybe images or something?)... But at this point my testing is making it seem like witchcraft.

Truly, this is a cursed issue... Good luck with figuring this one out guys, lol.

Edit: I've been able to recreate this opening some non-NSFW threads in the normal Creative Writing forum, so the NSFW theories are out.

I have a bit more context for the width saving issue; it definitely seems related to loading threads. SFW and NSFW don't really matter, though NSFW might trigger it more reliably. It may have something to do with patch_editor.js or threadmarks (I've noticed it doesn't happen on last pages too often compared to first page?). At this point, that's all I got- I'm just going to have a script recreate the cookie whenever I load a page to work around it.

Last edited:
Screenshot-20240512-190846-Firefox-Nightly.jpg

This warning/popup is annoying.

Is it normal that the Alerts box that opens when you click on the bell has two scroll bars?

One that lets you get down on the recently added notifications, and another one that apparently serves no purpose.

Mind, I'm working from a netbook--perhaps it is a deliberate function for smartphone users? I don't know, just wished to let you know in case it is a bug.

Are signatures being invisible on the mobile version of the page intentional, and is there a way to toggle that outside of switching to the desktop version of the page?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back