• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

A Sapient Megadungeon is You (Generic D&Dish fantasy)

Gnarker said:
Do we really want to kill the wizard? I mean, sure, high yield, but it's still only one person and we'll likely get just as much from an entire lower-level party without the extra hassel, and if someone really powerful bites it, that's going to scare away the easier prey. So feed him misinformation that lets us look low-risk high-reward, doubly effective because he's an expert of sorts and thus is going to be listened to, and then let him go.

1) Yes we do, if at the very minimum for the soul count.
2) An entire lower-level party going missing is equally likely to draw attention and scare away easier prey. So your point is invalid.
3) Feeding him misinformation isn't exactly a 'viable' thing either, as a 'low-risk high-reward' begs the question of 'what happened to the prior group'. Also, whatever makes you think he'd share that information?

As for counterpoints...

Rein's plan is not 'fool-proof' in terms of guaranteed kill, but that's so the Wizard 'has a chance' as opposed to outright killing him via 'Rock Falls Everyone Dies'. Furthermore, character development with regards to ones that are stupidly problematic and thus also adjusting to obtaining things that are better at dealing with troublesome pests. Note that if we have this much difficulty against a Wizard and/or single Adventurer now, that makes any dice roll'd party results with 'more' than this in some combination, a threat that'd screw us over.

Someone please do a trap count tally for me? Because I need to draft up a final contingency for the last 2 rooms in the event this fails. Likewise on the monster count end as well.

---

After this, we need to raise Monster by at least 1, likewise with Trap and/or Layout. The current way things are is a bit too limiting to make do (effectively) against Adventures, as this instance shows. I'm basically resorting to extreme employments of what we have to scrape by.

The Wizard has, effectively, had a near kill incident as shown in the update. I didn't have enough to make a fair estimate to his capabilities prior, so the adjustments should be at least more effective this time. If that fails, I just need to arrange the final two rooms to do him in.

Edit: And Darkened, I recall, specifically noting, that the corridor was supposed to get narrower, and warrant crawling to get 'out' of. The 'opens up' refers to the fact the part they're entering is... akin to a 'room'.

Raise monster by one, and get magic three for antimagic abilities. Because fuck magic.

[X] Plan Pole in Wizard's Shiny Ass (aka Plan Fuck You Wizard)

[X] 11 Plan Fuck You Wizard: (Vanathor, ReinZero, dreadis, Nyrath, Heaven Canceler, Yzarc, BloodWitch1337, shadowward, Drakebane, kinglugia, a2znut)

[X] 2 Leave them the same, you still have the back three to kill that cheater: (Gnarker, Jiven)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Dark Vision"

"Feather Fall"

The wizard proceeds through the first room, much as he did the first time around. Wasting no time at all he steps across the slippery coins in the second room, proceeding to the end without a care. Unfortunately the soft click at the end of the path and the echoing sound of a distant boulder give him more than enough time to change his tune.

Unfortunately, the boulder takes long enough to drop and roll down the entire hallway that he has more than enough time to recover from the shock and prepare a spell.

"Shatter"

"Errol," The cheating bastard calls out, "Perhaps you should wait back a while while I examine the first room again... Since something seems to have reset these traps..."

"Shield"

"Protection from Fear"

Armed with... protection from fear, that's just not fair! That's, that's completely illegitimate. You use one little fear spell on the bastard and he goes and prepares a way to stop you from doing it again? What's wrong with him. And how would he even know what hit him before. It's not like he was thinking clearly at the...

Ignoring common decency and sporting chances the wizard proceeds back through the previous room. There he paces around the spikes searching for any opening, then heads up the stairs. He doesn't even have the common manners to properly waste all his spells attacking the bats one by one, instead allowing them to hammer ineffectively at his shield until an odd dozen bat at him.

"Arc Lightning"

An agonizingly bright flash of light pierces your darkness, spearing through each bat and scattering your awareness for precious moments. That, that actually hurt! Cheating cheaty wizards who cheat. Well, you'll still get him. Though why is he examining the first room, unless... He's trying to see how something got through to reset the boulder trap. Is he looking for a shortcut then?

Of course there's none to be found, and the puzzled wizard finds himself with no recourse to step deeper down the path he walked before, making sure to keep his companion close behind.

He walks gingerly across the second room's floor, glancing behind him for any sign of a third boulder. Despite the fact that none appears, the wizard approaches the next room cautiously. The reloaded boulder must really have set him on alert since he spends several seconds checking the ground in the third room for any sign of a reloaded trap. Unfortunately years spent doing whatever it is wizards do when they're not cheating don't seem to have built up good eyesight. The wizard fails to spot the pressure plates at all.

Stepping into the room, spikes explode from his left, colliding with his shield spell and shoving the wizard into the flurry of arrows from the right. Unfortunately the spell holds, though it seems to flicker weakly at times and the wizard definitely seems shaken.

"Errol, I do think that something is up. I'd hoped to save this for the areas I haven't already cleared but..." the wizard sighs

"Detect Traps"

That doesn't even make sense. Seeing in the darkness is one thing, but what kind of spell allows a wizard to tell what bits of inert metal are designed to be traps and what aren't? And how would it tell the real from the broken ones that... cheating wizards. Still, you hope that spell doesn't last too long. If he was worried about wasting it, that means it can't go on forever, can it?

"Now this seems to be quite peculiar indeed. Errol, I'd hate to have to replace you, so perhaps you should wait here."

The porter gives a relieved sigh as he nods. "Right you are sir."

"Levitate"

And the wizard floats up and through the passage, passing the trapped section. Even as the passage grows too short to walk, much less float, comfortably through, the wizard chooses to levitate a few inches across the ground and tries his best not to ram himself into the walls too much. At last the wizard pushes into the third room, zipping past the two surprised kobolds as his levitate spell allows him to ignore the distant floating platform and float toward the door. And yet even as he floats precariously over the inky darkness of your depths the wizard's levitation seems to stutter, dropping him several feet before he regains control and floats toward the ledge as quickly as he can, managing to throw himself onto the ledge as the last of that spell finally gives out.

Taking a few relieved breaths and adjusting his hat, the wizard enters the fourth room. At least this time the cheating meatbag looks at least a little intimidated.

(Traps used so far: Room 1: 1xSpikes Room 2: 1xBoulder Room 3: 2xspikes 3xarrows 1xpit 1xpoisoned arrows=9 9 traps remaining)
(Monsters used so far: Room 1: Dire BatX8 (cost 4 for 1) Room 2: none Room 3: KoboldX3=5 10 monsters remaining)
(Spells used so Far: Room 3: Fearx2=2 (5 simple spells remaining)

How do you design room 4?
[ ] Write-in

*eye twitches* what. the. fuck.

I agree with the sentient dungeon. That's just cheating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, actually [redacted] so it's maybe a bit [redacted].

I hope that helps clear things up.

Darkened said:
Well, actually [redacted] so it's maybe a bit [redacted].

I hope that helps clear things up.
Like it was smeared with mud. :notfunny:

spiked pit trap in middle of room, drop entire ceiling once he is next to it fake door on opposite side of room and real door hidden in the pit with no way around the spikes without destroying them. if he makes it to a safe place at the bottom of the pit drop the middle of the ceiling above him into the pit to try to crush the fucker again.
Lets make everything slippery as hell while we are at it

ill call this plan squishie wizard

While I'll hold off on voting on a course of action here I'm left wondering how he even got Find Traps. From all I recall it's always been a cleric spell.

Nyrath said:
While I'll hold off on voting on a course of action here I'm left wondering how he even got Find Traps. From all I recall it's always been a cleric spell.
Hence my exclamations of bullcrap. I looked the spell up.

Of course, Protection from Fear is also a cleric spell. So I can only conclude this guy also has levels in cleric.

Nyrath said:

He's a cheating cheater who cheats Wizard.

Oh don't worry. I have a final solution. Will draft it up in a bit.

On a side note, not enough overkill.

Once he is all the way into the dungeon, we reset every room behind him. Then never give him a chance to rest.

[X] Cheating Wizard is Cheater

Room 4(.)5

The door opens out to a circular 'slide' that descends downwards, circling 5 times, each with increasingly sharp turns at odd angles. The entire slide is coated with slippery flooring (not just the 'floor'). Effectively speaking, the shape of the 'slide' would directly possess inherent sharp angles within itself. Furthermore, the 'slide' is just enough for someone to 'fit' within it... provided they drop in either feet first or head-first. In addition, the entire slide is coated with a 'Shock' spell. It's angled to increasingly pick up speed upon each rotation, with the last one ending in an extreme sharp turn that is designed to slam the occupant into a wall... immediately before they drop, straight down...

... into a open area/room, that mounts a Ice Cone shooting straight up that greets the arrival- while it itself is placed above a concealed 'pit' with spikes lined below (the pit). In addition, a series of 12 bats are present in the room to harass those who seek to delay their fall (whether mundane or magical means). Of course, that isn't all. There's also a Fear spell set to target those who 'enter' the room.

Upon pressure on the concealed portion, it gives way while an arrow trap shots up from below. Furthermore, the room itself, despite being 'open' is actually centered downwards towards the pit, coated with slippery floor- except with the occasional 'ledge' between parts of the slant- though only two 'ledge' exist.

One 'ledge' (closer to the bottom) holds a single kobold positioned there in that exact spot on the 'ledge' however, should they 'die'- thus falling off from there- an spike trap will spring up- if weight is presented again upon it. This is the same for all four sides.

The 'ledge' above however, is 'clear' but contains four treasure chests. All weighted with Prestidigitation created puffs of smoke, heavily compacted smoke. The actual treasure chest... is within the pit itself! Well, under the spikes that is. The spikes positioning leaves some gaps, gaps that lead to two entry-ways hidden out of sight. Entering either triggers a Shock spell- that in tandem, releases a Kobold in that room... -after- dropping a chest upon the person who stepped onto it. If one doesn't step onto it, then there is no chest. Likewise, the doorway will will slam shut- thus trapping the person within the indented 'false-room'.

The chest though, is filled with... treasure!- and remains of the dead party before the group that arrived here now. And their clothing too. Of course, opening the chests will trigger a set of spikes... from behind. Yes, that 'entrance' they stepped through to the chest- is a 'doorway' combined with a spike trap. Of course, this is only because the indent the person entered is not very spacious- in fact, it's barely enough to step into.

In other words, the chest will land on the person's head while they're shocked, while the door slams shut, thus trapping them within the indent. A kobold will finish off the person, if the person's conscious still. If not, should the person open the chest, the spikes will trigger. Any interaction with the door will also trigger the spikes- like falling onto the door.

(@Darkened, Pending Potential Modifications -_- )

I want this cheating wizard dead.
I want his familiar dead.
I want his soul devoured.

Fucking Tinkers Wizards.

TheOtherSandman said:

I want this cheating wizard dead.
I want his familiar dead.
I want his soul devoured.

Agreed. If it look like he might actually escape, I say we just use Rock Fall Everybody Dies before he can.

Say, what happened to the prisoner woman? Still stuck in the pedestal?

I'm sure she's sitting nice and secure in her little cell pondering, well, how fucked she is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back