1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. Student of Zelretch

Student of Zelretch Put the ice back on my lake. Moderator

[​IMG]
    My first attempt at home brewing, Nord Mead from the official Elder Scrolls cookbook. Started it today, will provide updates as it ages.

2. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

don't get poisoned~

zachol and Biigoh like this.
  3. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Is the book any good? I've been thinking about buying it along with the Fallout one, but I heard the books insist on using in-universe incredients.

Biigoh likes this.
  4. Student of Zelretch

the recipes seem a bit basically seasoned (appropriately for the 'verse they're from) but they're in good old 'murican imperial; the amazon page has like a third of them in the review. Sadly, they insisted on removing anything harder than liquor (I have a traditional herbal beverage cookbook that has palm wines, saguaro wine, coca wines, etc as a counterpoint,) but overall they look like they'd all taste good especially with a little creativity in place of authenticity. It covers baked good, drinks, main, side, and soup courses (I may be forgetting a section), with about 10 recipes of each. The pages are THICK, almost cardstock - when I first got it, I thought the pages were sticking because of how thick they are. Each recipe has a picture of what it's supposed to turn out looking like next to it, which I often find helpful. I only got the book Saturday, so I can't give it a full review on the results of recipes themselves... but I'd give it a 10/10 on aesthetics, a 7.5/10 on directions (a bit simplistic, but perfectly usable) a 8/10 on authenticity to the game (what do you mean, Skooma is a vodka infusion? the rest is fairly accurate though.)

Biigoh, Sydonai, Ilikebob and 2 others like this.
  5. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Are you considering buying the Fallout 4 cooking book too? I guess I can buy the Skyrim after all.

Biigoh likes this.
  6. Student of Zelretch

Probably not, never been a fan of fallout. If the recipes are decent, I might, but... eh.

Biigoh likes this.
  7. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

They are. The author is the same person behind the Pixelated Provisions blog and the recipes are pretty easy to follow with some basic cooking knowledge. There are a few difficult ones, like the meruange mushroom clouds, but they are marked as such with each entry.

Suffice to say, this was probably the better Fallout release within the last year.

Biigoh likes this.
  8. Threadmarks: Sort-of-pulav - molemole
    molemole

molemole Versed in the lewd.

Student recipes: Sort-of-pulav

• 1 cup rice
    • Vegetables, whatever you wish to add, except...
    • Onions, chillis, garlic
    • Jeera (not sure what it is in English)
    • Mustard seeds
    Before starting wash the rice, add 2cups water to rice and keep it. Add the onions and chillis and garlic to oil in a pressure cooker and fry them, once they're done to your satisfaction (I prefer the onions brownish) then add the rice+water, and the veggies. Add a couple pinches of jeera. Close the cooker, wait for six whistles and you're done. Takes maybe half an hour counting prep time, but I have a small cooker so heating is fast.
    Decently healthy if you add all veggies you can. Good cheap additions when eating are pickle, raita, or chili sauce.

Salbazier, kinglugia, Sydonai and 3 others like this.
  9. aquinas

aquinas I trust you know where the happy button is?

Cumin, I'm pretty sure. And now I'm making spanish rice woth dinner :)

Biigoh and molemole like this.
  10. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Cumin Seeds (Jeera) Also commonly known by its Indian name, Jeera, cumin is traditionally added to curries, Mexican & Moroccan dishes, among many others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin

11. Threadmarks: psuedo-Aligot - Student of Zelretch
    Student of Zelretch

So, my usual thanksgiving family visit was canceled because they got 10 inches of snow yesterday & haven’t had power in 28 hours now... so I made a psuedo-Aligot. Too filling, much stomach.

Start with 3 large or 5 small potatoes, peeled. Skins would make stirring a bitch. Boil those fuckers till you can crush em with a spoon. Drain the water from the pot, but leave the spuds in on low-medium heat.

Add in a third of a stick of softened butter and a 1/4 pound of fresh goat cheese. Stir it till it’s kinda smooth, then add about a tablespoon of garlic granulates and a half tablespoon of salt, more to taste. You’re not a bitch, no less.

Splash in a quarter cup or so of whole milk because you feel like it. It’s starting to feel like a sludge, right? Good.

figure out it needs more cheese, so get about 1/4 pound of colby-jack out, cube it or mince or whatever, and stir that in. Is it a sludge that kinda sticks to itself but not the pot now? If not, add a little more cheese. If so, plate that & eat it. It tastes like gastric distress and gluttony, right? Good.

Sydonai, Ilikebob, kinglugia and 2 others like this.
  12. Threadmarks: Chocolate chipped pecan pies - DuskAtDawn
    DuskAtDawn

DuskAtDawn Of the Thousand Faces

I've never made quite as good a decision as when I decided to add half a cup of chocolate chips to my pecan pies.

Full recipe is 4 eggs, 1 cup each of sugar, (light) corn starch, and pecans, half a cup of melted butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips, a teaspoon of vanilla, and a pre-made pie crust, because fucking hell I hate making my own. Beat together the eggs, corn starch, sugar, and vanilla, then add and combine the melted butter, throw the chocolate chips and (chopped) pecans in an stir, then just pour it into the crust. Cook for about 50 minutes on 350.

Shake it to see if it's done - the edges shouldn't move, but the middle should jiggle a little bit.

So, yeah, just a basic pecan pie, but with chocolate in. It's a little sweet for some, so maybe add less sugar if you're not into that. Sadly, pecans are abnormally expensive for some arbitrary reason, so maybe try to pick those up on sale.

Sydonai, Ilikebob, kinglugia and 2 others like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Apple Pie and Cake - Melmar
    Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

So it turns out the only thing better than cranberry sauce is combining it with apple pie and cake.

Ya need:

1 21 oz can of apple pie filling
    1 14 oz can of whole berry cranberry sauce
    1 box of yellow cake mix
    1 stick of butter

Preheat to 350 and spray a 13x9 pan with nonstick spray. Spread the apple pie filling in the pan first then top that mess with the cranberry sauce. You don't really need to be super precise so just kinda scoop the sauce out in spoonfuls and plop it on. Spread the cake mix evenly on top of that and cover as much of the mix as possible with the butter slices. You can also drop like, half a cup of walnuts or something on it if you want. Bake them shits for 50-55 minutes (careful, cuz any walnuts will start to burn in a hurry if you leave it longer than that) and you're golden.

I fully expected this to be good when I was making it but, damn did the flavors mix together well. I'll definitely be making this again in the future.

And to think I was going to go with a spice cake originally. Fool. :V

Biigoh, Sydonai, Ilikebob and 2 others like this.
  14. Salbazier

Salbazier Posting while Hot

Got any ideas how to cook beef liver?

Biigoh likes this.
  15. Ilikebob

Ilikebob Stuck in a jar

Personally, I just turn them into sambal goreng kentang hati which is basically just chilli with fried cubed potatoes and livers.

Biigoh likes this.
  16. Salbazier

Yeah, that's how I usually consume them. (its a surprise meeting someone on the net who know what that is though :D ). Thing is, I don't know how to cook sambal goreng kentang hati :V Its usually my mother who cook it. I could look up recipes sure, but I figure If I'm looking up recipes I may as well collect more ideas.

Also sambal goreng kentang of my mother is a bit special. Its less pedas for one, something something cooking the cabai certain way that they lose its most of its pedas taste something something I don't know.

Biigoh and Ilikebob like this.
  17. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Can I have a recipe? It sounds like a tasty meal, even if it's using a liver base.

Biigoh and Ilikebob like this.
  18. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Most likely, she just clean the seeds first. Seeds makes chili spicy, see. So if you just want general spiciness, just discard the seeds.

Rakdos92, Biigoh and Salbazier like this.
  19. Ilikebob

Ilikebob Stuck in a jar

Huh, you don't know how to make them yourself? But it's really easy though. Anyway other ideas include salsa with liver and livercake.

I'll look into my cookbook and post it here.

Rakdos92, Biigoh and Salbazier like this.
  20. Salbazier

Livercake? Now that's novel. Tell me more.

Biigoh likes this.
  21. Biigoh

Rakdos92 and Salbazier like this.
  22. Threadmarks: Livercake - Youtube
    Ilikebob

Ilikebob Stuck in a jar

Swedish bullshitmagic that was.

23. Threadmarks: shrimp scampi - MadGreenSon
    MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Here's the slapdash recipe for shrimp scampi that I made for dinner tonight.

You need:
    about a pound of shrimp (I buy 2 pound bags of peeled, deveined shrimp from Sam's Club, if you buy frozen, thaw what you need before starting and pat it mostly dry)
    A bunch of lemon juice (I buy it by the bottle)
    Minced garlic (I buy large jars of this every couple of months, I go through garlic like a fat kid through cake)
    Butter (4 tablespoons)
    Olive oil
    1/4 cup of dry white wine (cheap works unless you want to drink it.)
    Dried Parsely
    Salt
    Pepper
    Pasta of some kind (I go with angel hair, personally, but you do you, you could have it over rice too, I guess)
    Garlic bread (totally optional, but I like it)

Cook the pasta however you like to do it. I usually get the water going at a rolling boil in a pot that looks too big for the amount of pasta I'm cooking, stir the pasta in, put a wooden spoon across the top of the pot and let it continue to rolling boil for 8-10 minutes. The wooden spoon keeps it from boiling over. Might as well get it cooking before you start on the shrimp because the shrimp cooks fast.

Now, onto the shrimp!

First, get shit prepared.

Just go ahead and drop as much dried parsley as you want in the wine, more is better, and chop up two of the tablespoons of butter and drop that in there too and splash in about 2+ tablespoons of lemon juice.

Melt the other two tablespoons of butter with the same amount of olive oil in a pan on medium high, once the butter is melted, drop four heaping spoonfuls of minced garlic in there to saute for about a minute, it will start smelling really good.

Throw the shrimp in and hit em with plenty of salt and pepper

Stir that shit around until it looks mostly done

Throw in the wine/butter/parsley/lemon juice combo from earlier and stir it up.

Let that shit go until the alcohol has boiled off about two or three more minutes, max. This will also finish cooking the shrimp.

Pull it off the heat to rest while you get the other stuff ready then spoon it out over the pasta on each plate and make sure to get plenty of the liquid on there too as it will make everything extra fucking delicious.

Eat! You can usually clean the leftover butter-garlic sauce with the garlic bread, which is also super delicious.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Imabot, Sydonai, kinglugia and 3 others like this.
  24. Salbazier

In the end i try cooking the liver by soaking it mix of water-vinegar-orange (don't want to use milk because there's someone with milk allergy in the house, he not necessarily will eat the liver but I want to avoid picking fight about smell and what not) the fried it with onion + ketchup.

So, few mistakes. I used to much oil and I should have dried the liver with tissue or something before cooking. The dish end up with a bit too much oil, and in the process of trying to boil away the water I end up cooking the liver a bit too long. Not a big problem, because I don't actually mind the rather tough texture of liver, despite articles on the net saying it is undessirable in cooking liver, but I did want to try cooking tender-ish liver. Ah well, I still have a batch for another try.

Taste-wise, it turn out pretty good. Its nice to taste liver again after quite a while. Now, I just need to cook some rice~

25. Threadmarks: Bacon-wrapped Teriyaki Chicken Bites - Garahs
    Garahs

Garahs Soil Surveyor

I did an experiment for an appetizer based on one I got from my mom. It came out pretty well and is really simple to do. I might revise this as I play with it more.

Bacon-wrapped Teriyaki Chicken Bites
    What food you need:
    Boneless chicken - cut into about an inch round cubes
    Bacon slices - cut them in half and they should be long enough
    Teriyaki sauce - I used a bottle of this, but I imagine a different type would work as well: https://kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=01455

Instructions:
    Marinate that chicken, I put it in a sealed container and let it marinate for a full 24 hours

Take a cookie sheet and put some tin foil over it for easier cleanup.
    Then put a grate over that for the chicken bites to sit on for baking.

Wrap the chicken bite with a half bacon slice and skewer that shit with a wooden toothpick or skewer and put it on your grate
    Preheat oven to 450º F
    Bake them for 15-20 minutes or until cooked thoroughly (I will have to try flipping them halfway for a more complete browning)

Done! (Bribe someone into doing your cleanup for you.)

26. Threadmarks: Cranberry white chocolate chip cookies - Melmar
    Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Imma share my favorite cookie recipe just cuz.

Cranberry white chocolate chip cookies

1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup white chocolate chips
    1/2 cup granola (optional cuz I can never find that shit at the stores in town and it doesn't make much difference anyway)
    1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla

It's another easy peasy recipe...sy.

Preheat to 350° F. Hit your cookie sheet with the spray or line it with one of those cooking paper things if you got 'em. Dump your dry ingredients in a bowl and plop the egg, butter, and vanilla on top of that. Mix them shits well and drop it on your cookie sheet in one inch balls.This should net you about twenty cookies, more or less, depending on how big your balls(ha) are.

Supposedly, this recipe bakes for 8-10 minutes but, that's a damn lie cuz it always takes longer. (I wonder if it's the lack of granola...? Eh. I'm not going to the damn city to look for it.) I check 'em once the time's up and let it keep going until they've browned up a bit. Just keep your eye on it and it'll be fine.

I baked a crap ton of these today to give out a Christmas because they're really good and all that.

Biigoh, Rakdos92, Ilikebob and 2 others like this.
  27. Threadmarks: Waffled calzone - Student of Zelretch
    Student of Zelretch

Waffled calzone

3 cups flour
    1 tsp yeast
    1 cup water (warm but not hot)
    1/2 cup baby portobello mushrooms
    1/2 cup red onion
    1/2 bulb garlic
    4 leaves fresh basil
    2 TBSP butter
    1/2 cup marinara (or your preferred pizza sauce)
    1 cup grated mozzarella

CRUST
    1. Proof your yeast in 1/3 the water.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the remaining water and mix until the dough is shaggy and most of the water has been absorbed. Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured counter and knead until it is just blended but not too smooth. Cover the dough with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
    3. Knead the dough until it is fairly smooth.
    4. Coat a bowl with the oil, add the dough to the bowl, and turn to coat. Let the dough rise in a warm place, covered with plastic wrap, for 2 ½ hours, or until nearly doubled in size.
    5. Dust your work surface with more flour. Punch down the dough, divide it into 2 pieces, place the pieces on your work surface, and form each into a smooth ball. Allow the pieces to rest for 5 minutes, covered by a cloth or plastic wrap. When you are ready to waffle, remove the wrap and roll out 8-inch pizzas, pulling gradually on the dough to expand it. If it resists, let it rest for 5 minutes before continuing.

TOPPING
    1. Dice the veggies, keeping the shrooms separate.
    2. Throw the garlic, onion, and butter in a hot pan for 10 minutes.
    3. Add in the mushrooms, the cook until they're brown & starting to shrink. The onions should be partially caramelized. Remove from heat.

Assembly:
    1. lay out the pizza crusts next to each other, to figure out which is wider. That will be the base.
    2. Put half the cheese in a layer on the base.
    3. put the topping on top of the cheese.
    4. Put the sauce on, then put the basil on.
    5. Top with the rest of the cheese, making sure there's a thorough coating around the edges. This will help ensure a seal.
    6. Put the top disk on. There should be enough room on the edge to press them together, which you should do as best you can.

Cooking:
    1. preheat your waffle iron to it's highest setting.
    2. Add either butter or your preferred method of keeping things from sticking, then carefully maneuver the calzone onto the iron, centering as best you can.
    3. close the iron lightly, letting gravity press down. If you force it, there will be leaking and I will laugh at you.
    4. leave the calzone in there for about 10 minutes, or until you smell the dough being as done as you like. it's fine to occasionally open the iron; If you do, when the top is about half golden brown the calzone is done. For me, this was around 12 minutes.
    5. CAREFULLY maneuver the calzone out. It may not want to come; finesse is better than force here. That said, it will be heavy.
    6. If making more than one, put the rest in a 200 degree oven to keep warm while the rest cook.
    7. Serve.
    [​IMG]

Biigoh, Ilikebob, Rakdos92 and 2 others like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Peanut Soup - Biigoh
    Biigoh

Soo...

This is a easy recipe.

Recipe is variable.

You has your peanuts, I like to add beans to this.

You has your onions (small whole or halfed), garlic (crushed), ginger (a chunk), carrots (washed, peeled and sliced), and lotus root (washed, peeled and slice thin).

You has your meat (I used a country cut pork rib)

Soak your peanuts for 8-12 hours.

Drain and put all ingredients into pot, add lots of water~

Boil. Once the water is boiling hard for 10 minutes, slowly lower the heat down to medium low... making sure it stays at a low boil.

Keep the low boil for 2.5+ hours.

Add soy sauce to taste.

Take meat out and cut if necessary...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wasprider, Ilikebob, Sydonai and 5 others like this.
  29. zachol

zachol Tomato

Not a unique recipe, just a comment, but was shocked at how easy it is to make a (stove-top) custard. I made some vanilla Jello-brand pudding and found it pretty unpleasant, kind of metallic bitter tasting, and it reminded me of some pie custard I made a month ago. The process of whisking a custard on the stove is way overhyped, you just have to pay attention to it and in the end you get this really good, cheap pudding. I guess the worst part is pushing it through a strainer, and even then it's just a hassle to clean the mesh afterward.
    Then again, I was also shocked the first time I made a roux at how easy it was, so maybe I'm just good at babying something on the stove or other people have way more hectic kitchens or whatever.

Anyway, people should poke around at, like, making custard or a roux for a bechamel or something else similarly scary-sounding if they haven't already, could turn out surprisingly easy and nice.
    If you want to talk hard, how about some cacio e pepe. Can't seem to make it right, all I ever get is a blob of melty cheese and watery pasta. Bleh. Feel like an idiot.

Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  30. Ilikebob

Ilikebob Stuck in a jar

Hey, can I post Binging With Babish's videos here?