1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

I think you should post your own recipes.

Biigoh likes this.
  2. Scribe32

Scribe32 You had me at Lewd

Firstly I'd say it's better to post links to his websites where he includes recipe lists in text, secondly I'd also add commentary about what you found was good to do in addition to/despite what he says.

For example, when doing his Pan Pizza this past Sunday I found that, when using a cast iron pan with a pizza stone over top with the oven at 500F, it took closer to 20-25 minutes to cook instead of the 11-12 he talks about. I also noted that I should have used a garlic press to add the garlic to the home made pizza sauce as just adding it in chunks wasn't good enough, either that or I didn't pulse-blend it enough. Both my mom and dad said that there was too much crust for their liking, but that could just as easily be them not liking pan pizza as it could be needing to use less dough.

Biigoh, kinglugia, Imabot and 4 others like this.
  3. Fishyface

Fishyface Not too sore, are you?

Can anyone recommend a good chicken recipe that can be made with an instant pot? Ended up with a bunch of whole chickens because of the quarantine. :(

Biigoh likes this.
  4. Threadmarks: instant pot greek chicken bowls - Food Network
    ExquisiteTopHat

ExquisiteTopHat Lined with Tinfoil

I use this, when I need to cook a lot of chicken quickly. You will need to butcher the birds, but the bones and gristle make great stock after roasting, which you can substitute in for the water in the following recipe.
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/instant-pot-greek-chicken-bowls-5453420

Edit- the use of red pepper flakes isn't strictly necessary, but the use of paprika kind of is. Smoked paprika or other variations are fine, though.

Biigoh, Alertpoet91 and Fishyface like this.
  5. Threadmarks: Chicken Recipes from Google
    Stephen the barbarian

Stephen the barbarian I trust you know where the happy button is?

here's some quick recipes i found on google, i haven't tried any of them
    https://www.spendwithpennies.com/instant-pot-chicken-noodle-soup/
    https://pinchofyum.com/instant-pot-chicken-cacciatore
    https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/instant-pot-mongolian-chicken/
    https://kristineskitchenblog.com/honey-garlic-instant-pot-chicken-breasts/
    https://rasamalaysia.com/honey-garlic-chicken-instant-pot/

Biigoh, Fishyface and Sydonai like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Chinese Dumplings with Hot Chili Oil - SortedFoods
    Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

For people with some spare ground pork, here is a recipe from SortedFoods:Chinese Dumplings with Hot Chili Oil

I have made these and it is pretty easy. More so if you go with store bought wonton wrappers, which the boys mentioned is perfectly acceptable. And the best part is these freeze like a champ, making it a perfect lockdown food stash.

And here is the video of the dumplings, along with two other variants:

Biigoh, kinglugia, Ilikebob and 2 others like this.
  7. Threadmarks: Soup with melt in your mouth chicken - Biigoh
    Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Water (enough to cover chicken thigh), chicken thigh, some crushed garlic, some ginger, spring onion...

Boil for 10 minutes, throw away spring onion... lower heat to low slowly... and slow boil chicken for 1/2 hour to hour...

Remove chicken and then increase the temp, bring back to boil. Throw in some cut cabbage leaves and boil for 5 mins add the chicken back... season with soy sauce to taste.

Soup with melt in your mouth chicken

8. Threadmarks: pineapple upside down cake - melmar
    Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Yo, ya'll like pineapple? You do? That's disgus- uh, I mean then here's a recipe for pineapple upside down cake.

2 tablespoons of butter, melted
    1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
    6 garbage pineapple slices from a 20 oz can, save the juice
    6 maraschino cherries
    1 box of yellow cake mix (Betty Crocker's super moist mix works really well)
    1 cup of filth pineapple juice
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    3 eggs

Heat your oven to 350 F. Get you a 12 cup bundt pan and pour the melted butter all along the bottom then sprinkle the brown sugar as evenly as you can over the butter. Line the bottom of the pan with your trash pineapple slices then get your cherries and plop those bad boys in the pineholes.

In a big ol' mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, sewer water pineapple juice, oil, and eggs together. Now you can beat it with an electric mixer on low til it's moistened and then on high speed for two minutes but, there's so much liquid that doing it by hand is super easy so you don't have to. Less messy too, y'know?

Pour the sludge mix over the fruit and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until it's golden brown and springy. Cool that shit in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, loosen the sides with a knife (don't forget to loosen the inner ring of the pan too or it'll rip your cake's guts out), and dump it out on a heatproof plate. That shit should be incredibly moist and (allegedly) good.

Now, you might be wondering why a man with such a subtle, understated disdain for pineapple would make a pineapple upside down cake. It's my mom's favorite so I make it for her birthday and the rest of the tasteless curs family like it too.

My apartment smells like pineapple. Eeeeewwww...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. Threadmarks: Gordon's Quick & Simple Recipes - Youtube
    Biigoh

10. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Ever go by any of those? I use his channel often and own one of his cookbooks. Never a bad meal when I do things his way.

Biigoh likes this.
  11. Biigoh

I use the techniques he mentions and shows off... but I don't follow the recipes he does. :3

omgitsTabi likes this.
  12. Threadmarks: Simple Stirfry - Dogcatt
    Dogcatt

Dogcatt Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I’ll post a recipe, its not a really complicated one though XD just a stirfry

you’d need potat, carrot, peas/sweet corn or both (frozen works too as its fried not boiled), rice, Budder, oils. Just portion it to how you like it, one carrot one potato and a reasonable amount of sweet corn etc is enough for one person.

I normally make a batch with one or two potato’s, two or three medium sized carrots, about a fifth? Roughly a fifth of a cup of sweet corn and peas then a portion of rice. It’s hard to do measurements for me as i do it mostly by eye x(

i like to use sesame seed oil but you can use olive too, put some in a skillet and add some salt and pepper.

the recipe is incredibly simple so you don’t really need many directions, boil the rice and put salt pepper into a skillet along with sesame seed oil or olive if you’d like. Potato’s and carrots in first as they cook the longest but there’s nothing wrong with adding the peas and sweet corn too (if frozen you might want to soon). About 5-8 minutes in you’ll want a small spoon of butter to spread over it as butter doesnt spread well in a hot skillet. After the potato starts to brown you just add the rice, mix it a bit and let it go. If in doubt add more salt or even water whilst cooking as you like (Wouldn’t recommend adding too much water at a time as you can drown the ingredients... Aka like how frozen sweet corn when boiled loses its flavour. I sometimes add oil or water mid cooking anyhow xP)

It should take around 15-20 minutes to cook, or thereabouts. If in doubt have a bite of the potato, it should break apart in your mouth... if its solid let it cook longer. I’ve never added soy sauce etc to the recipe but I doub’t it’d be too bad.

I sometimes do something similar with a egg chicken stir fry recipe where i just break an egg over the top and mix it into the rice. Wouldn’t recommend doing it in some countries like America though as they aren’t vetted like eggs in countries like the uk or japan for example. Lion mark for the uk and just about any egg is fine for japan.

Only thing is when you do the egg this way it makes the rice look dirty, it still tastes nice though and it’s better than putting egg in a microwave. Savages :mad:
    hope is good?

13. Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

Quick and simple miso ramen recipe

This recipe is one that I learned recently after I visited a small mom and pop ramen shop near where I live, In Japan now, and decided that I wanted to have some good miso ramen and the shop was closed and I wanted said ramen whenever I felt like. It isn't as the auntie's ramen but is good, especially as it is a cheat recipe. As for measures, I will place some basic ones but taste and adjust as needed as depending on the miso used, the doubajang and other items the flavor will change between batches.

Ingredients:

Miso paste

1 cup of miso paste, I use any that I have and I haven't made a favored blend or anything, so any miso will do

1 tbs of doubajang, I use the spicy kind but the regular could be used as well

3 gloves of garlic, grated or pressed

1 inch knob of ginger, grated

1/2 kilo of ground pork

1 cup of mirin

Salt to taste

green onions to taste

Stock, you can use regular stock, homemade stock or granules, I use chicken stock granules as it is what I find here

Directions:

Oil a pot and brown the pork well, when brown add the garlic and ginger, when half cooked add the doubajang and toast it slightly. Add the miso and stir very well, add the mirin and stir diluting the miso paste slightly. When it starts to bubble add the stock and dilute the mixture even more, now you taste the soup for flavor, adjust as needed. Salt, stock, spice or whatever needed, when the taste is to your liking it is done.

For noodles you can use instant noodles cooked separately, fresh ramen noodles also cooked separately, dry or frozen noodles, it works with any of them so far. Add any toppings of your liking such as the green onions, kamaboko, roasted pork, boiled egg or whatever you have at hand.

I hope that you enjoy this recipe.

Biigoh, Imabot, kinglugia and 2 others like this.
  14. wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

I need help you guys.

So, I've been cooking a lot because of the quarantine. Being bored with simple pasta sauces, I decided to try and make carbonara properly.

Before this, I usually make cream sauce by mixing 1 part milk, 2 part flour, a dash of salt, and 200g of shredded cheese on heat. It produces a very creamy sauce that's really finicky to handle. Too much flour, too much heat, or not enough heat and it thicken to the point that it's almost like dough. Very hard to wash too even when I got it right

However, my brother told me that I've been doing it wrong. Rather than flour, I should've used eggs instead and the thickening happens when the sauce is mixed with the freshly boiled pasta. I tried it a few days back but I got a very anemic, almost watery sauce.

Can anyone help me with this?

For reference, I used 4 eggs, about 200ml of milk, one teaspoon of salt, and ~100g-ish of shredded cheese.

Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  15. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

You use milk and flour in your sauce? I think I see were you might be doing things wrong.

A propper sauce is nothing more than 3-4 eggs + 1 extra yolk mixed with shredded cheese and seasoned it with salt and pepper. You fry the beacon ( you can add garlic, and if you prefer vegetarian then use onion instead beacon ) and dump into pan still hot freshly cooked pasta, with half a cup of water from the pot that pasta was cooking in, and kill the flame. Dump egg and cheese sauce into it and gently mix all of this using residual heat from the pan and pasta to slowly cook the sauce into a nice creamy consistency.

Babish have 2 great videos on how to make Carbonara more traditionally and with method I mentioned.

Try it. It's just delicious.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Biigoh, Sydonai, Ilikebob and 2 others like this.
  16. Threadmarks: Casual's Fried Chicken - Casualfarmer
    Casualfarmer

Casualfarmer Versed in the lewd.

Casual's Fried Chicken

Dredge:
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ½ teaspoon dried oregano
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Other
    Chicken
    Buttermilk
    Eggs

Just mix all the dry ingredients up in a bowl. Its actually originally a recipe for a shrimp po-boy dredge, but it tastes great on chicken too. Basically everything you need to fry, the cornmeal gives it a nice texture, and all in all its just a great tasting dredge. It stores forever too, so you can make it in bulk and keep it around. The only problem with this is that its easy to overcook. You want this light, because it doesn't taste as good if it goes dark brown. I know this from experience. Do not overcook.

I use breasts most of the time, so what I do is pound it out. That gives you an even cook, and lets you cut it into more manageable pieces if your pot is small.

An hour before frying, give your chicken a hit of salt and pepper. You can obviously do this before hand too, like a day in advance. Then, you'll need Buttermilk and an egg, going 1 egg to 1 cup buttermilk. For two chicken breasts, you'll only need the one cup and one egg. You can obviously do other meat, but I haven't done any with the bone in yet.

Drop the chicken in your dredge, then go to the buttermilk/egg, then back to the dredge. This makes your dredge stick to the chicken better. I've done doing both coatings "wet" but if you do that it'll come off the chicken real easy.

Heat your oil to 325 F. I use peanut oil myself, which also adds flavour to what you're frying, but any other neutral oil should do. Don't go above 350, or the dredge will burn/overcook before the chicken is done.

You can either go deep fry, which is what I tend to do, or you can shallow fry in the pan.

I always, always use a thermometer for internal temperature of at least 165. 165 is cooked chicken. If you don't have a thermometer, Its pretty difficult to tell when its done, as it can take anywhere from 5-8 minutes, and you want it just right, no overcooking or undercooking. A good kitchen thermometer is so, so worth it. They're like $20. One of the best purchases you will ever make. I consider it essential to the kitchen.

When its done, and still hot, you can do one of two things. You can just toss it in a hot sauce of your choice: I'm a fan of Marie Sharp's Sweet Habanero, so I just toss it or dip it in that. You could leave it plain, which is also a fine choice. The breading itself has a very nice flavour, with a tiny, tiny bit of heat.

In any case, transfer to a wire rack to cool for a little, and drip off any excess oil.

You can eat this with your potato of choice, or you can make this into a sandwich. Both are, again, great choices.

And now or some accompaniment:

Berry Sweet Tea
    Blueberries 1/2 cup
    Blackberries 1/2 cup
    Raspberries 1/2 cup
    Strawberries 1/2 cup
    Sugar: I normally use about 2/3 a cup, but its to taste.
    I use 2L of water, or about 8 cups.

With tea this will make you about 4L/a gallon of drink in total.

They do not have to be fresh berries, I use frozen. I've actually got a fruit medley pack I use, it has every berry up there and I don't have to measure anything, I just dump a pack in. Its cheaper to buy the medley pack if you can get it, TBH.

Chuck your berries in a pot with the water, bring to a boil, then down to medium heat. Mash the hell out of those fruits, and use the back of a spoon to burst any blueberries, or they won't properly flavour your drink. Low boil it for about an hour or so, and then add the sugar and give it a taste. it should be fairly sweet, as the tea really takes the sweetness down.

I normally strain mine after this, as I'm not much a fan of the mushy fruit, but blending it is an option if you don't mind the pulp. I wasn't a fan, but my mom liked it.

Next you brew yourself some black tea. Most kinds will do, really. Then you mix to taste. I use a 50/50 black tea to berry mixture, and stick it in 1L mason jars, 4 jars at a time. Then you pour it out when you want it.

Now, I'm Canadian, so this is at best "southern inspired", but we certainly liked it.

Additionally, though its completely different than what I posted, I have been using so many of Andrea Nguyen's recipes. I cannot recommend checking her out enough, her books are fantastic, and basically every recipe in there is a winner. Asian Dumplings especially is amazing, her Gyoza are 10/10. If you're looking to add any Asian fare to your table, go look at her stuff.

Biigoh, Sydonai, Imabot and 4 others like this.
  17. wanara009

Can anyone point me how to make barley palatable? That doesn't involve making it into bread or beer? My mom tried to replace rice with it because it's supposed to help diet or something. I personally can't stand it. When cooked in the same way as rice, it has this strange mix of savoury and sweet flavour that just don't mix very well.

Biigoh likes this.
  18. Sinner_sb

Sinner_sb Experienced.

In Japan they enjoy roasted barley tea, I think that it can also be made into porridge.

19. MadGreenSon

20. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Ever heard of barley water?

Biigoh and wanara009 like this.
  21. wanara009

I do, but I'm looking for barley recipes in the context of staple foodstuff (e.g.: rice, corn, potato, etc).

Biigoh likes this.
  22. seeing_octarine

seeing_octarine Unverified Colour

Beef and barley stew seems to be a common enough recipe on the internet. I've never made it so I can't vouch for the quality, however.

23. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

It can also be used with chicken soup, don't know exactly what the recipe was but I've had it and it tasted decent.

24. Stephen the barbarian

25. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

The problem you've been having is that you're basically trying to substitute the grain in a recipe centered around said grain. Admittedly, the issue is relatively minimal as the typical recipe for rice is about as simple and plain as it gets, so you don't have to worry overmuch about things like flavor combinations (try substituting cantaloupe in a watermelon salad recipe if you want fun there), but you're still substituting a recipe's central ingredient for a very different one.

The biggest issue with what you're doing in this specific case, on the other hand, isn't flavor -- it's texture. Barley is usually roasted rather than boiled for a reason... and chefs take great care to avoid overcooking it even when it's simmered.

Although there are barley pilaf recipes, so...

Yeah. Simply toasting/roasting it before you cook can change the flavor enough that you might find the result palatable.

You can find a few sample recipes here, here, and here. Just follow the toasting instructions before you cook it "like rice" if you want to try the above suggestion.

Going by a statistical analysis of restaurant recipes, the most common ingredients to compliment barley are beef and mushrooms. This is followed by, in no particular order, butter, garlic, lemon thyme, mirepoix (a distinctly prepared mix of carrots, celery, and onions), olive oil, onions, oregano, flat-leaf parsley, white pepper, sage, kosher salt, scallions, chicken and vegetable stocks, thyme, tomatoes, and sherry vinegar. That last should be, perhaps, quite obvious, as the most common type of recipe to use barley (again, in restaurants, based on an ingredient analysis conducted in 2006-208) is savory soups.

(And yes, I have a collection of reference tables for recipe ingredient combinations. I often use it when developing new recipes or engaging in improvisational cooking. I even have a literal book that's pretty much just table after table of "this ingredient commonly goes with X, Y, and Z.")

... and my Internet cut out while I was writing this, so it's now the next morning, and I've completely lost my trains of thought. Umm... so, yeah. TL;DR? You can try roasting the stuff before cooking, flavoring it in a variety of ways (see the list above), or both.

26. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

I find eating barley used to make barley water (homemade or not) to be quite the delicious treat. Of course, said drink is sweetened, so... :V

Biigoh and Sydonai like this.
  27. Threadmarks: Easy Jelly - youtube
    Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

Just found a video with really great idea for making jelly.
    I tried it with my favorite Chocolate Milk. It's pretty good.

It's so easy to make and expand variety of jelly you can enjoy. It can your favorite juice or making new unique flavors that aren't unavailable normally.

Edit... I wonder if this can be done with Sodas and other carbonated drinks? after decarbonating them obviously.

28. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

It does, however, assume access to cartons of juice/iced coffee in that specific (admittedly common -- cf. "1 liter") size... not to mention certain sizes of gelatin packs. I'm in quarantine, so I can't exactly go out and check what size packets are in the local grocery store, but I'm pretty sure there'll be a mismatch.

Biigoh likes this.
  29. MadGreenSon

Yeah. I'm just really thankful that I have a butcher shop around the corner from my house so I can time my visits to when no one else is in there.

Wagyu Friday is something neither I nor my father wanted to give up. :p

Biigoh likes this.
  30. Stephen the barbarian

https://gelatinartmarket.com/pages/fruit-juice-jelly
    this one gives me a ratio of 10g gelition to250ml juice
    quick bit of google fu gives me 7g packets and 7.2g packets,

Biigoh and Imabot like this.