• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

[X] Fate? If Fate wants you to end up with Nekomata's bunch she can go straight to hell and bring them with her! Sign the contract without performing the Reverse Summoning.

[X] You heard the lady. "Gyaku Kuchiyose no Jutsu!"

I'd rather not start a war between the Nekomata Clan and Tora's clan. Especially not right after this trouble, and not before we can actually do anything against the Nekomata Clan.

Selias said:

I'd rather not start a war between the Nekomata Clan and Tora's clan. Especially not right after this trouble, and not before we can actually do anything against the Nekomata Clan.

start a war?

they already started this shit, no matter which place this summoning takes us to, we AREN'T going to sign the Nekomata scroll.

not after they did this.

why even pretend that there's any chance that we would?

My dear Chouji,
I've been a fool. Can you ever forgive me? I can't live without you any longer!
Ino the Fifth

Haha!

And then kitty-sadness. I'll be back with a vote later.

Edit: Presumably, if we were recognized as a Speaker, we could go into kitty-politics and protect the cat clan that way.

Guile said:
Edit: Presumably, if we were recognized as a Speaker, we could go into kitty-politics and protect the cat clan that way.

Seeing as the cats here are exiles and are killed for sport, I think it's safe to say diplomatic relations are highly questionable. And seeing as it's a warrior culture, the arguments they accept are the ones beaten into them.

Warrior, we are not. IIRC their legendary idol is a Baihu Expy. Enough said.

So yeah, I'm honestly not sure how we're gonna be protecting the cats here. If anything it sounds like the best policy is, "Keep this on the down low and don't let them know lest they go for straight up genocide of the exiled cats."

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really tough decision. They all seem like they're good for different reasons. Above all I'm worried about the chakra requirements for this.

Getting reverse summoned sounds like the best bet but then we could end up with something not even related to cats as unlikely as that may be. We'd definitely need to get outside support if we go with that.

Just signing the contract seems good but that doesn't seem like it'll change anything with the blood feud except to maybe magnify it.

I guess in the end I'll have to go with my gut. Having a backup plan might be necessary in this situation too. Informing your sensei about this might backfire or could save your skin.

->[X] Have Menka inform Asuma that you're reverse summoning if you don't reappear in an hour.

XD I love how the least in-character option is in the lead.

FurikoMaru said:
XD I love how the least in-character option is in the lead.

Like they're voting because of character, instead of shiny?

Hey. It'd be really trollish if we ended up landing in, say, the Ferret-Summon's territory.

[X] Fate? If Fate wants you to end up with Nekomata's bunch she can go straight to hell and bring them with her! Sign the contract without performing the Reverse Summoning.

Vindictus said:
Like they're voting because of character, instead of shiny?
Well, considering how you guys hate investments not paying off, I find it strange you're willing to risk the Tora clan being lost to you forever.

FurikoMaru said:
Well, considering how you guys hate investments not paying off, I find it strange you're willing to risk the Tora clan being lost to you forever.

"But Furiko, what if we can manage to make the two warring clans realize that their differences are all in their heads and get BOTH? I mean, we're special the protagonist, after all! And also, like, Cat-Jesus or something. Plus cats are totally easily manipulatable and we can get them to do exactly what we want with minimal eff- Oh wait, sorry, that's dogs isn't it?"

*sighes*

I can't honestly say I think the Tora clan is really cool or awesome. Frankly, I think Monkeys would be more epic. But we've dumped enough in here that if we don't sign with the Tora clan, it's gonna feel incomplete. So I'll vote for it, even if I'm not especially enthused about the summons.

And I think Furiko mentioned somewhere far in the past of either SB or TV tropes that cats where not our first pick if we go by compatibility but instead third or fourth.

Scia said:
And I think Furiko mentioned somewhere far in the past of either SB or TV tropes that cats where not our first pick if we go by compatibility but instead third or fourth.

Maybe? It might have been compatibility for Lupin though. For Lupin, number one choice was the Monkeys.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Maybe? It might have been compatibility for Lupin though. For Lupin, number one choice was the Monkeys.
That was it. Cats were compatible with Ino, monkeys were compatible with Lupin.

[X] And when you're lost, in dire need, who's at your side, at lightning speed?

After a moment's thought, you swallow your sadness, nod, and reach out with a Shikoku Fuuin to scrawl your name onto the scroll before she can blink.

<"Ino!"> she says, gasping and pulling back, far too late. She examines the contract worriedly and then stares back at you. <"But... what if... do you know what you've done?">

<"I know what I didn't do, and that's leave you guys in a lurch after a long friendship,"> you declare. <"Look, Miun-chan, you're a sweet girl, tryin' to think of a way to be fair to me while still bein' fair to your clan, but do you seriously think if I had the choice of all the summon contracts in the world, I wouldn't pick yours?"

Miun fusses with her whiskers nervously. <"But the Fortress-born-">

You smile. <"Look at it this way: either I was going to just end up popping up right back here again, so I just saved myself some chakra, or I was going to end up at some unknown location, low on chakra and obligated to sign with some strangers just to get home, or I was going to end up at the Fortress, low on chakra and obligated to sign with some total stiffs who I honestly wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. So really, I'm coming out ahead in this."> Scritching Miun behind the ears, you add cheerfully, <"And so're you, if I was supposed to go to the Fortress. Congratulations on stealing a Speaker out from under those bastards.">

<"... I don't think you're a Speaker,"> Miun says thoughtfully. <"I think you're something new.">

<"According to my dad, I'm 'a very particular type of prodigy',"> you say, shrugging. <"So what happens now? Is there a special ceremony, or...?">

<"There'll be a dinner,"> she affirms. <"In a week, when all this unpleasantness is behind us."> She hops into your rather surprised arms and licks your face. <"Thank you, Ino. You don't know what it means to us.">

<"All right, she's signed,"> Indara says crankily, <"now can we get back inside?">

<"And I think that's my cue to leave,"> you say, chuckling.

<"I think that'd be best,"> Miun says as the three cats head into the tent. <"Don't expect Menka for another day or two; he may need some time alone.">

"I think we both do," you mutter under your breath.

=

At long last, the day to file for the chuunin exams arrives. Ami is almost bouncing off the walls in excitement, and even Kiba looks hyped.

You felt a little better prepared than you were a month ago, but still nervous as hell, right up until Asuma-sensei said you had the option to not take the test if you really didn't think you could handle it. Whatever suicidal impulse that blatant application of reverse psychology tripped in your head, you're now raring to go as the three of you stalk towards the building where the first exam is to be held.

Over the past month, Asuma's assignments for each of you targeted your weak points, up to and including your lack of experience fighting as a group; all of you are expected to show up each morning to various training grounds on a rotating schedule, rain or shine, to get used to engaging in combat on a variety of different terrains.

Ami's chakra control exercises to improve her burning sword technique continued as usual, but now Asuma-sensei has gotten her started on ranged fire attacks, chakra-suppression to escape genjutsu (you helped out with this), and honing her observation and stealth skills.

Asuma also ordered Kiba to practice throwing off genjutsu, along with some finer points of bookwork and daily hand-to-hand sessions... against you.

Kiba aside, you had two hours of remedial taijutsu with Asuma, every day. You still aren't as strong as a normal chuunin in that regard, but your general fighting style is starting to take shape, rather than just being a series of stolen moves. You've discovered that a well-delivered kick now and then can make up for the reach your arms lack. You're never going to be the most durable or physically powerful fighter around, but you're more presentable now than you were before.

In addition, he also traded some favours to Kurenai-san in exchange for a little private tutoring, for which you might just have to name your firstborn after him; that woman is truly something else. You thought Shahera-sensei knew her stuff, but Kurenai blasts her right out of the water. Dozens of things about the nitty-gritty details of genjutsu design that you never knew before are now at your finger tips, and have allowed you to perfect your grasp of Utsusemi no Jutsu (Throw Voice). She's also broadened your knowledge of other genjutsu users from around the Elemental Countries and what the most common illusions are in each nation.

Besides your mandatory training, you have also:

[X] Linked your memory palaces, refined your Sasuke-construct, and created a mini Sasuke Army in your head.

[X] Learned two C-rank elemental jutsu:
-> [X] Water
-> [X] Wind
-> [X] One of each

[X] Gotten your Shintenshin up and running. It's not perfected, but it's at least combat-viable against chuunin now.

[X] Greatly increased your Speed, to the point that even Asuma can't keep up with you.

[X] Improved your tessenjutsu by: (Select one.)
-> [X] adding a second fan.
-> [X] learning how to elementally enhance your tessen
--> [X] with Water.
--> [X] with Wind.
--> [X] with Storm. (Warning: takes up two slots rather than one.)

[X] Completely mastered your mask-making; not even your own father will be able to tell on sight that you aren't who you look like.

[X] Studied poisons with your Mom. You're now carrying a small arsenal of unpleasant substances to add to exploding tags or coat weapons in.

[X] Finally produced a fully-functional, if slightly crude, revolver for you and Kiba to share. (Warning: takes up two slots rather than one.)

[X] Studied up on sealing; you can now disarm exploding tags faster than they can go off.
-> [X] You've also figured out something else interesting you can do with that Chakra Conduit Technique you invented back in the day... (Write in, subject to GM review)

[X] Managed to convince Kurenai-san to teach you two new genjutsu. (These can be personal ones she's developed or just ones any Konoha-nin has been shown to use at some point in the anime or manga, excluding filler arcs.)

[X] Incorporated your koto-playing into your genjutsu-casting.

[X] Researched who is likely to show up at the exams, and what their rumoured strengths and weaknesses are.

[X] Practised your summoning, and developed an informal intelligence network among the local members of the Tora clan.

-----

You have six timeslots to fill. Choose wisely.

[X] Linked your memory palaces, refined your Sasuke-construct, and created a mini Sasuke Army in your head.
[X] Gotten your Shintenshin up and running. It's not perfected, but it's at least combat-viable against chuunin now.
[X] Greatly increased your Speed, to the point that even Asuma can't keep up with you.
[X] Managed to convince Kurenai-san to teach you two new genjutsu. (These can be personal ones she's developed or just ones any Konoha-nin has been shown to use at some point in the anime or manga, excluding filler arcs.)
[X] Researched who is likely to show up at the exams, and what their rumoured strengths and weaknesses are.
[X] Practised your summoning, and developed an informal intelligence network among the local members of the Tora clan.

Right-o. Not sure this is the best line-up. I did not take the revolver or Storm release for tessen. I'd like us to nurture the Yamanaka jutsu stuff and at least make it usable because they feel incomplete so I added those on. Mind reading shit be ace, but we have to work to get there. At least a good Shintenshin will turn others' strength against them.

Speed because it's good for keeping us alive and, scouting, and hit and run. If it translates to hand seal speed as well, bully.

More genjutsu because if we can get some higher rank stuff to play to our strengths and down people, great. Can see arguments for hit stuff better, but not really our strength. Wind tessen could be decent enough for dirty tricks though, or poisons.

And I went after summoning because some of the cats besides Menka are better fighters than we'll be so why not have them handle that? Info network for post prelims is a nice bonus, and research because while it's not personal power it keeps us from going in totally blind and means we can plan better. We might even figure out what the exams are in advance via our feline friends, which lets us cheat more effectively.

I could see arguments for tessen stuff and poisons. I'm sure people like the idea of revolvers but....ninja. Kinda stupid fast. Good cheap shot I guess though, but we gotta give two slots for it. Storm because we've been neglecting that bloodline.

Depending on how quick we can make masks though? I could be game for straight up mastering that.

EDIT:

Hummm....something to note:

Shichidaime Tsumujikaze, our old cat friend! Who could teach someone to be as kickass a swordsman as he is.

Any chance we can use our new relation to the Tora clan to get him to teach Ami or take her as an apprentice? Or does the language barrier prevent it?

Also, chakra conduit technique: could we make it an offensive ability? Of the, "Hah, I'm touching two of your tenketsu and now everything in your chakra network between the two points has been fried. Suck it!" Tricky to pull it, nasty when pulled off. Although given our skill in close quarters I'm not sure pulling it off is entirely feasible.

EDIT: ....Actually, poisons could be really good for us being a dodge whore with Speed. Poison them, wait 'em out. Good for quite a lot of people. Maybe with some Wind Jutsu for spreading them? Gotta be careful about not hurting our allies.

And I guess a revolver gives Kiba a better chance too but....just not enthused about them compared to other stuff.

Still don't want to drop the Yamanaka stuff though. Sooner or later we need to do shit about Itachi's Geas and for that we need the Journey to the Center of the Mind shit. As far as I'm concerned, work at it every chance we get until it's gone. In that regard Shintenshin is more disposable than memory place and construct help.

[X] Improved your tessenjutsu by:
-> [X] learning how to elementally enhance your tessen
--> [X] with Water

[X] Completely mastered your mask-making; no one who doesn't know you pretty well will be able to tell on sight that you aren't who you look like.

Similar reasoning as above except I feel that having a water weapon technique could help us against Garaa if we're unlucky enough to run into him during the exams. Learning masks could also help us get a scroll that much faster in the second part as well. I kind of wanted genjutsu, but I just don't know any.

Also seconding having a cat summon/clan member teach Ami sword training on the side. I'm pretty sure they can henge so even if they can't talk doing the motions repeatedly should help.
[X] Have a swordscat teach Ami if available

If we run into Gaara, we're fucked. Just run away. Picking one of our timeslots based on something with a mediocre chance of hindering someone who can thrash us if they catch us seems pointless to me.

Not sure if I'm underestimating koto-genjutsu. If we can't be mobile while doing it, and we're never gonna be an exceptional player, just doesn't feel like a talent worth developing.

Mask making being completely locked up is pretty appealing though. That development tree, DONE.

.....Oooh.....

Actually, idea. Very good idea!

Master mask making. Study our competition. And then make masks of our competition before the chunin exam so we can infiltrate their groups, sow chaos and confusion, all that good stuff!

I like this idea. Now I just need to decide what to give up in my load-out to make it happen.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Speed because it's good for keeping us alive and, scouting, and hit and run. If it translates to hand seal speed as well, bully.
It will.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
I could see arguments for tessen stuff and poisons. I'm sure people like the idea of revolvers but....ninja. Kinda stupid fast.
If you were fighting jounin it'd be pointless to use a gun, sure, but chuunin and genin aren't usually fast enough for it to be a problem.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Depending on how quick we can make masks though? I could be game for straight up mastering that.
Combine it with maxing out your speed and you could be damn quick. Otherwise you'll merely be quick enough that most chuunin wouldn't notice.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
EDIT:

Hummm....something to note:

Shichidaime Tsumujikaze, our old cat friend! Who could teach someone to be as kickass a swordsman as he is.

Any chance we can use our new relation to the Tora clan to get him to teach Ami or take her as an apprentice? Or does the language barrier prevent it?
Tsumuji-san is in the Capital, so you'd have to summon him for every lesson she has. You could fold it into your summoning practice, I guess.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Also, chakra conduit technique: could we make it an offensive ability? Of the, "Hah, I'm touching two of your tenketsu and now everything in your chakra network between the two points has been fried. Suck it!" Tricky to pull it, nasty when pulled off. Although given our skill in close quarters I'm not sure pulling it off is entirely feasible.
Hee, ghetto-Jyuuken. You can try, but remember who's watching these exams.

Unclouded said:
I kind of wanted genjutsu, but I just don't know any.

Any of these will do, if they're performed by a Konoha shinobi according to their descriptions.

FurikoMaru said:

Superb.

If you were fighting jounin it'd be pointless to use a gun, sure, but chuunin and genin aren't usually fast enough for it to be a problem.

Alright then. Still...two slots for one gun.

Combine it with maxing out your speed and you could be damn quick. Otherwise you'll merely be quick enough that most chuunin wouldn't notice.

*jaw drops*

Done. I'm fitting mask making in, on the fly perfect disguises is too good to pass up. With good enough research on our competition we might be an infiltration nightmare. Now to decide what to give up...

Tsumuji-san is in the Capital, so you'd have to summon him for every lesson she has. You could fold it into your summoning practice, I guess.

Excellent!

Hee, ghetto-Jyuuken. You can try, but remember who's watching these exams.

A-yup. But yes, true, it can draw undesired attention.

Trawling the archives for good stuff now.

.....There isn't much, to be honest. The easiest one is Kurenai's B-Rank Tree Binding Death. Still, it is a B Rank. Although whether we have the chakra to fuel it, different question.

Some stuff from games like Soulbane, good, described as forbidden, but turns people on their own teammates.

Most of the good stuff is Sharingan though, no surprise there.

Very well I'm going to change my vote as the other reason I chose the elemental manipulation is on the off chance we saw Temari use her fan and pick it up there. Edited previous post to scouting competition.

Some sound advice for everyone, when thinking about what would be useful: think about what you've done well in the past, and who your opponents in the future are likely to be.

Also, remember the purpose of the chuunin exams: a substitute for war. People will be expecting to see you show off.

[X] Completely mastered your mask-making; not even your own father will be able to tell on sight that you aren't who you look like.
[X] Studied poisons with your Mom. You're now carrying a small arsenal of unpleasant substances to add to exploding tags or coat weapons in.

Let's work that Assassin Build, eh?

Gonna specify which genjutsu you want? The field's wide open there in a way that none of the others are; you're already at the point you could be using A-rank illusions.

... Eh. Gimme a sec to look at the list.

EDIT- Okay, Bringer of Darkness and a Leaf-Style: Willow variant for hand to hand/kunai use alright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back