• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

Eh. Okay, I think we're gonna have to go custom but I've got some.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Genjutsu:_Unknown_Fire

Steal one of Itachi's tricks? Might be pushing our luck, but....hey, maybe make it one of our elements? Have a genjutsu where people think they're drowning?

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Demonic_Illusion:_Tree_Binding_Death

B-Rank genjutsu. Kurenai knows it. This is a lock for us and if a D-Rank can put a ninja down from us, a B-Rank is probably hideously effective. Yes, Itachi pwned this one. He does that. If we encounter Itachi during the exam, you can tell me "I told you so" where we kiss our ass goodbye.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Genjutsu_Binding

Paralysis. Multi-paralysis. Simpe, but potentially effective.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Bringer-of-Darkness_Technique

If we are somehow allowed to have this? YES PLEASE A-RANK GENJUTSU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vindictus said:
... Eh. Gimme a sec to look at the list.

EDIT- Okay, Bringer of Darkness and a Leaf-Style: Willow variant for hand to hand/kunai use alright?
That's perfectly all right, though I wonder why you don't go for some of the more utterly hax options on that list. Even some of the weaker illusions are crazy with what they can do; canon-Lupin would be all over Double False Surroundings.

Ah, well... Most of the Konoha stuff I saw was Konoha-through-Itachi. [/Didn't really look over all the options]

I still recommend Tree Binding Death. Kurenai can teach us no question, and it'd be a very strong, "You no move cause you my bitch" jutsu, given our prodigious skill with genjutsu.

Bringer of Darkness would certainly be a crowd pleaser though.

Double False Surroundings....can we just take a page from Spying no Jutsu by daniel and go with, "Layered genjutsu" a.k.a. dispel one genjutsu and you slip into another preprepared one?

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
I still recommend Tree Binding Death. Kurenai can teach us no question, and it'd be a very strong, "You no move cause you my bitch" jutsu, given our prodigious skill with genjutsu.
It would at that. It's excellent if you want a Pacifist Run.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Bringer of Darkness would certainly be a crowd pleaser though.
As is this. Blindness for people who aren't expecting it makes for the perfect escape opportunity.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Double False Surroundings....can we just take a page from Spying no Jutsu by daniel and go with, "Layered genjutsu" a.k.a. dispel one genjutsu and you slip into another preprepared one?
Would you rather do all the html work and such to start a blog, or just let wordpress handle the heavy lifting while you handle the fun? That's the distinction. Sure, there's more pride in the former, but it takes so long~!

FurikoMaru said:
It would at that. It's excellent if you want a Pacifist Run.

As is this. Blindness for people who aren't expecting it makes for the perfect escape opportunity.

*rubs hands gleefully*

And if it works on arrogant Hyuuga like Neji, even better.

Seriously, if we gotta fight the kid? Blinding a Hyuuga into uselessness sends a massive statement to the world.

Would you rather do all the html work and such to start a blog, or just let wordpress handle the heavy lifting while you handle the fun? That's the distinction. Sure, there's more pride in the former, but it takes so long~!

I'm not quite sure how this metaphor is referring to.

EDIT: Furiko, for getting rid of Itachi's geas, do we need to be delving into the Yamanaka arts? I assume we do so I'm loath to be giving them up, but masks for utility and poisons for our offense become more and more tempting. But I really don't want to hold back on developing the memory palace, not if it's a step towards cleaning our mind.

If you make personalized layered genjutsu, that takes more chakra than if you just cast Double False Surroundings and then customize the two illusions.

I am unsure how effective bringer of darkness might be later on as at least the Sand nin should be able to evade its effect by using sense other then sight. But it would be very usefull in the second test and maybe also against sound.

FurikoMaru said:
If you make personalized layered genjutsu, that takes more chakra than if you just cast Double False Surroundings and then customize the two illusions.

But would we be gaining an increase in versatility? Like Heaven to Hell, chaining the two viewing techs?

Also Furiko, for getting rid of Itachi's geas, do we need to be delving into the Yamanaka arts? I assume we do so I'm loath to be giving them up, but masks for utility and poisons for our offense become more and more tempting. But I really don't want to hold back on developing the memory palace, not if it's a step towards cleaning our mind.

EDIT: Heh, using Bringer of Darkness during the written exam would be a waste of the ability, but very entertaining if we get away with it and take the time to speedblitz and sabotage everyone.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
But would we be gaining an increase in versatility? Like Heaven to Hell, chaining the two viewing techs?
Well, yes, but is versatility worth giving up your ability to spam the effect over multiple targets? 'Cause personalized layered genjutsu, depending on how elaborate you want to get, can take about as much chakra as any of the C-rank ninjutsu you could have learned instead.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Also Furiko, for getting rid of Itachi's geas, do we need to be delving into the Yamanaka arts? I assume we do so I'm loath to be giving them up, but masks for utility and poisons for our offense become more and more tempting. But I really don't want to hold back on developing the memory palace, not if it's a step towards cleaning our mind.
Yamanaka mind arts will play a key role in negating the geas, but those disciplines aren't the only ones that will help; Sharingan are not considered haxx for nothing, after all.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
EDIT: Heh, using Bringer of Darkness during the written exam would be a waste of the ability, but very entertaining if we get away with it and take the time to speedblitz and sabotage everyone.
Technically it does count as only cheating once. ^_^; You could be the first chuunin candidate in history to get everyone but her team disqualified in the first stage.

Scia said:
I am unsure how effective bringer of darkness might be later on as at least the Sand nin should be able to evade its effect by using sense other then sight. But it would be very usefull in the second test and maybe also against sound.

Really. You can't see how one of teh Hokage's favored 'Fuck You ALL' genjutsu techniques could come in handy in a higher level fight? Seriously?
FurikoMaru said:
Technically it does count as only cheating once. ^_^; You could be the first chuunin candidate in history to get everyone but her team disqualified in the first stage.

Hey, that sounds like a great idea! "We win. Fuck all y'all fuckers."

FurikoMaru said:
Well, yes, but is versatility worth giving up your ability to spam the effect over multiple targets? 'Cause personalized layered genjutsu, depending on how elaborate you want to get, can take about as much chakra as any of the C-rank ninjutsu you could have learned instead.

I suppose, although the only reason C-Rank ninjutsu is intimidating is because we have such poor chakra reserves.

Yamanaka mind arts will play a key role in negating the geas, but those disciplines aren't the only ones that will help; Sharingan are not considered haxx for nothing, after all.

Damnation. Well, then I can't in good conscience strike the memory palace from my list, even if I do want poisons for Konoha's Poisonous Blossom and Mask Mastery. We cannot keep putting this off. We'll just have to reconsider poisons for the public matches when we make a national debut as the Poisonous Blossom.

[X] Linked your memory palaces, refined your Sasuke-construct, and created a mini Sasuke Army in your head.
[X] Completely mastered your mask-making; not even your own father will be able to tell on sight that you aren't who you look like.
[X] Greatly increased your Speed, to the point that even Asuma can't keep up with you.
[X] Managed to convince Kurenai-san to teach you two new genjutsu. (These can be personal ones she's developed or just ones any Konoha-nin has been shown to use at some point in the anime or manga, excluding filler arcs.)
-[X] Tree Binding Death
-[X] Bringer of Darkness
[X] Researched who is likely to show up at the exams, and what their rumoured strengths and weaknesses are.
[X] Practised your summoning, and developed an informal intelligence network among the local members of the Tora clan.

I'd be willing to switch out genjutsu though, especially if the Double Layer stuff synergizes well. Right now I'm aiming at the B, A Rank stuff because....crowd pleaser. Good on groups, and having an A-Rank under our belt makes us look good.

Although if we could modify Kurenai's Tree Binding Death to include some kinds of poison ivy or other poisonous stuff to keep in line with our theme as the Poisonous Blossom and put our own spin on Kurenai's genjutsu, that'd be awesome.

.....You know what? I had a big fat massive plan for making a mockery of the exam and kicking everyone's ass.

I could happily drop it if it meant this.

And I still have two Z-Slashes to make sure it works....

Y'know, now that I think about it, it doesn't make narrative sense for Kurenai to teach you guys two super-powerful genjutsu for an exam her own team is going to be competing in. Pick one, and a lesser genjutsu.

Damnation! Too good to be true.

So...Bringer of Darkness or Tree Binding Death. Fuck you examiners, or a reliable OHKO.

[X] Linked your memory palaces, refined your Sasuke-construct, and created a mini Sasuke Army in your head.
[X] Learned two C-rank elemental jutsu:
-> [X] One of each
[X] Greatly increased your Speed, to the point that even Asuma can't keep up with you.
[X] Improved your tessenjutsu by: (Select one.)
-> [X] learning how to elementally enhance your tessen
--> [X] with Wind.
[X] Completely mastered your mask-making; not even your own father will be able to tell on sight that you aren't who you look like.
[X] Practised your summoning, and developed an informal intelligence network among the local members of the Tora clan.

wait, we, a gennin, (prospective chuunin) can be faster than Asuma, and Elite Jounin?

yup.

It doesn't really matter what else we pick, if we can outmanoeuvre Asuma, then we are basically untouchable to this mere mortal gennin.

that said, masks looks cool, but have we ever actually used them?

memory palice seems cool and all, but its not super useful until we run into Itachi.

Genjutsu would be cool, if we can actually land them.

hmm.

research is a must, but tessenjutsu would be good too.

we have a serious lack of close-quarters options.

i'd say Wind-tessen. (its not a great fan like Temari's, so no massive cutting waves, but it should be enough to give us a reliable way to behead people in melee.)

'We've never used them' is hardly a reason to neglect such an incredible infiltration tool.

It's like someone saying 'Well, I've never had to use anything but Taijutsu so far, ergo being able to set things on fire with my mind is pointless' despite the possibility of needing a fire at some point in the future.

[X] Managed to convince Kurenai-san to teach you two new genjutsu. (These can be personal ones she's developed or just ones any Konoha-nin has been shown to use at some point in the anime or manga, excluding filler arcs.)
-[X] Tree Binding Death
-[X] Double False Surroundings
[X] Researched who is likely to show up at the exams, and what their rumoured strengths and weaknesses are.

I highly suggest people vote for Kurenai to teach us Tree Binding Death. She's pretty much confirmed that with our genjutsu skill it'd be monstrously potent against the competition. Tessen is only going to be so-so. Genjutsu is higher than 4 and our most potent skill. Let's get a heavy hitting jutsu for it.

Also, I'm picking it cause it makes more sense for Kurenai to teach us that than to teach us Bringer of Darkness.

-[X] Tree Binding Death

-[X] Tree Binding Death

iamnuff said:
i'd say Wind-tessen. (its not a great fan like Temari's, so no massive cutting waves, but it should be enough to give us a reliable way to behead people in melee.)
:( If even the people who want to do tessen stuff don't want to do anything with Ranton, I must truly have failed as a GM.

I mean, I gave you a bloodline limit. People in other quests have to pay character-gen points for those.

[X] Linked your memory palaces, refined your Sasuke-construct, and created a mini Sasuke Army in your head. [5/6]

-> [X] One of each [1/6]

[X] Gotten your Shintenshin up and running. It's not perfected, but it's at least combat-viable against chuunin now. [1/6]

[X] Greatly increased your Speed, to the point that even Asuma can't keep up with you. [6/6]

[X] Improved your tessenjutsu by:
-> [X] learning how to elementally enhance your tessen
--> [X] with Wind. [1/6]

[X] Completely mastered your mask-making; not even your own father will be able to tell on sight that you aren't who you look like. [6/6]

[X] Studied poisons with your Mom. You're now carrying a small arsenal of unpleasant substances to add to exploding tags or coat weapons in. [1/6]

[X] Finally produced a fully-functional, if slightly crude, revolver for you and Kiba to share. (Warning: takes up two slots rather than one.) [0/6]

[X] Studied up on sealing; you can now disarm exploding tags faster than they can go off.
-> [X] You've also figured out something else interesting you can do with that Chakra Conduit Technique you invented back in the day... (Write in, subject to GM review) [0/6]

[X] Managed to convince Kurenai-san to teach you two new genjutsu. (These can be personal ones she's developed or just ones any Konoha-nin has been shown to use at some point in the anime or manga, excluding filler arcs.)[4/6]
-> Tree-Binding Death [3/4]
-> Double False Surroundings [3/4]

[X] Incorporated your koto-playing into your genjutsu-casting. [0/6]

[X] Researched who is likely to show up at the exams, and what their rumoured strengths and weaknesses are. [5/6]

[X] Practised your summoning, and developed an informal intelligence network among the local members of the Tora clan. [6/6]

This is where the formal votes are trending. iamnuff, I'll add your votes when you come to a final decision.

Please don't be discouraged, lurkers and people who show up later! There are many of you compared to the people who're here, so your vote may in fact actually count!

Vindictus said:
Really. You can't see how one of teh Hokage's favored 'Fuck You ALL' genjutsu techniques could come in handy in a higher level fight? Seriously?
Hey, that sounds like a great idea! "We win. Fuck all y'all fuckers."
I said that they might be a bit lacking against the canon enemies as it makes sense that Temari has the abillity to use windchakra for sensing. Garak might be able to use sand/earth and Kankuro has tactile sensations with his threads as it explicitly only hits vision. That nearly every other nin will be unable to stop that is something else. And among the Rockie 12 afaik only shikamaru shino and kiba should be able to at least partially evade it. Maybe Naruto and Sasuke.

Ah, late to the party again.
FurikoMaru said:
That would be fantastic - if the chuunin exam was being held somewhere else this year. But given there will be more Konoha teams than any other, that fucks over our own side more than anyone.

Line by line:
Well it's neat, and it's pretty crucial eventually, but I don't really see the utility for coming events.
I just don't see Ino as a heavy artillery sort of girl. Speed and sneakiness, ho!
[X] Gotten your Shintenshin up and running. It's not perfected, but it's at least combat-viable against chuunin now.
Hooray!
Holy crap yes please.
[X] Improved your tessenjutsu by: (Select one.)
--> [X] with Storm. (Warning: takes up two slots rather than one.)
Well, I'm interested, but I forget Storm's specific nature. I remember that our Ranton isn't like Narutoverse's Ranton.
Cool. Although until we master ventriloquism jutsu, the illusion won't be perfect.
[X] Studied poisons with your Mom. You're now carrying a small arsenal of unpleasant substances to add to exploding tags or coat weapons in.
With wind or Ranton tessenjutsu? Spiffy.
[X] Finally produced a fully-functional, if slightly crude, revolver for you and Kiba to share. (Warning: takes up two slots rather than one.)
Jigen!Kiba would be on track. Great for the 3rd round, but not wise to use it in the Forest.

[X] Studied up on sealing; you can now disarm exploding tags faster than they can go off.
-> [X] You've also figured out something else interesting you can do with that Chakra Conduit Technique you invented back in the day... (Write in, subject to GM review)
Ghetto-Jyuuken, plus Bringer of Darkness genjutsu? Scary.

[X] Incorporated your koto-playing into your genjutsu-casting.
It's got lots of potential, and might give us wide-area target (whoever hears it) genjutsu. But not a great fit for the chuunin exam.
Information wins wars.
Would this give us a lesser version of the 'find out who's coming'? What happens if we have both the research and the spy network?

So I'm thinking:
[1] Speed is crucial.
[2] Then Mask-making or Shintenshin.
[3-5]Then we can either go for a strong offense with Ranton and Poisons, or a strong defense with genjutsu and seals(/ghetto-Jyuuken).
[6] If we go offense, then this would be research. If defense, we can get both research and summoning.

Guile said:
Well it's neat, and it's pretty crucial eventually, but I don't really see the utility for coming events.
The amount of chakra it takes is entirely negligible and it makes your opponents waste Yin-chakra like it's going out of style. Its only drawbacks are that you aren't yet skilled enough to use it against multiple chuunin and you have to make eye contact with each person you want to 'bring in'.

Guile said:
Well, I'm interested, but I forget Storm's specific nature. I remember that our Ranton isn't like Narutoverse's Ranton.
Water and Wind are the elements that make it up, so there's a lot more elasticity to what you can do with it. It got the Storm name from your dad mistaking the second element for Lightning, not realizing you ended up using actual electricity, not Lightning-natured chakra.

Guile said:
Cool. Although until we master ventriloquism jutsu, the illusion won't be perfect.
True. Until the timeskip you can only do women, girls, boys, and only occasionally men. Still, perfection by itself doesn't win battles - fighting does.

Guile said:
Jigen!Kiba would be on track. Great for the 3rd round, but not wise to use it in the Forest.
I dunno, stealth-build Ino could work wonders with a rumour-generating device like a revolver in a secluded place like the Forest of Death.

Guile said:
Would this give us a lesser version of the 'find out who's coming'? What happens if we have both the research and the spy network?
If you take the research option alone, you'll learn about everyone who potentially could be sent and gain wider context that you wouldn't otherwise. If you take both, you'll focus your efforts on the people you know for sure are going to be there, giving you in-depth knowledge of everyone you could conceivably get information on easily, but you'll miss out on some of the background minor details that'll give you hints about who the wild cards are.

We did master Throw Voice.

Dozens of things about the nitty-gritty details of genjutsu design that you never knew before are now at your finger tips, and have allowed you to perfect your grasp of Utsusemi no Jutsu (Throw Voice).

So that's covered. It's more the size of our body that could be tricky. But if we can outright MAKE masks on the fly with our speed, holy crap.

Ghetto-Jyuuken, plus Bringer of Darkness genjutsu? Scary.

Indeed. Sadly, together they take two slots.

Still, maybe in the third round we'll get a chance to hit Neji with Bringer of Darkness and ghetto Jyuuken. If we don't get better.

My plan for this to maximize foreknowledge of the competition and see if we can get the drop on what the Exam details ahead of time. Afterwards, use our established network to spy on the competition.

But we better take it.

We keep putting the mind stuff off because it's not relevant now or useful. But we need to do the small stuff to get to the big stuff. We need to start putting time and effort into this so that we can get to the good stuff and pick up swag to help with the Geas.

I'm really sad we can't get poisons in my build. But Tree Binding Death is a confirmed shit wrecker in our hands so we'll just have to let that be our main gun and rely on our allies for the rest.

True. Until the timeskip you can only do women, girls, boys, and only occasionally men. Still, perfection by itself doesn't win battles - fighting does.

Is this an encouragement to put more into combat?

If you take the research option alone, you'll learn about everyone who potentially could be sent and gain wider context that you wouldn't otherwise. If you take both, you'll focus your efforts on the people you know for sure are going to be there, giving you in-depth knowledge of everyone you could conceivably get information on easily, but you'll miss out on some of the background minor details that'll give you hints about who the wild cards are.

That's....rather disappointing. I mean having in-depth information to screw with people, great. Kind of annoying we'd miss clues foe wild cards for putting more time and attention in.

Ugh, Ranton or Revolver? I can't decide! I must have them both! [/Kuno]

Not that it matters, given the winning votes have 5-6 votes each. Ah well. I really do think we need something with a heavy punch for the 3rd round, though.

[X] Speed
[X] Shintenshin
[X] Revolver (Edges out Ranton, since it can be used by Kiba OR ourselves)
[X] Genjutsu (to hide revolver/shintenshin use)
[X] Research (to help our shintenshin acting)

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Is this an encouragement to put more into combat?
Nope. It's encouragement to not be a candy-ass about an OOC problem-generating ability just because it isn't absolutely flawless yet. No one except for you has to know that; just don't try to replace any of the nonfemale jounin or the older male genin and you're set.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
That's....rather disappointing. I mean having in-depth information to screw with people, great. Kind of annoying we'd miss clues foe wild cards for putting more time and attention in.
Hey, think of it like Arjuna and the bird.

Drona asked each of his students in turn to take aim at a bird, and describe to him what it looked like. Each boy dutifully made note of its colour, the length of its beak, and each of them were sent back into the line.

Finally Arjuna was called forward.

"Describe the bird," Drona commanded.

"I cannot," Arjuna replied apologetically.

"Why not?" Drona asked.

"I can only see its eye."

"Loose your arrow."

And then there was a dead bird.

FurikoMaru said:
Nope. It's encouragement to not be a candy-ass about an OOC problem-generating ability just because it isn't absolutely flawless yet. No one except for you has to know that; just don't try to replace any of the nonfemale jounin or the older male genin and you're set.

Oh, nice.

Hey, think of it like Arjuna and the bird.

Drona asked each of his students in turn to take aim at a bird, and describe to him what it looked like. Each boy dutifully made note of its colour, the length of its beak, and each of them were sent back into the line.

Finally Arjuna was called forward.

"Describe the bird," Drona commanded.

"I cannot," Arjuna replied apologetically.

"Why not?" Drona asked.

"I can only see its eye."

"Loose your arrow."

And then there was a dead bird.

I think there's some context I'm missing cause I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back