• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

I'll admit, I do worry about taking a shot at the Church expedition with barely any preparations. The potential Edge Influence is nice, but it's not likely to be the main thing we could use, and I get the feeling people have been spoiled a bit by how easily Velvet tears through the Mansus. Someday we're gonna do something stupidly dangerous and not roll well.

I'll admit, I do worry about taking a shot at the Church expedition with barely any preparations. The potential Edge Influence is nice, but it's not likely to be the main thing we could use, and I get the feeling people have been spoiled a bit by how easily Velvet tears through the Mansus. Someday we're gonna do something stupidly dangerous and not roll well.

Definitely a risk, but I will say with a lot of the plans, we should still have most, if not all our re rolls. Mine with Sacrament is a little riskier, but I think worth the shot and gives us an influence going in. The rolls last time we went in were a bit of everything so any could help.

It's already happened, the world can attest

Sibling bonding! Regular face-to-face meetings with your family are important to keep those bonds strong, so good for Velvet's sons that they keep in contact with their sister.
They can use the good influece in their lives. Celestia knows they won't get it anywhere else.

I can't help myself. I like the wolves. I like the aesthetic, I like the dark counterpart they are to Velvet's other family, I like how they give the regrettable consequences of our actions a face, so to speak.
Nothing good comes from the Wolf, but of all the horrible things that come from it, they are always a highlight.
I'm looking forward to Ash.

Anyway, voting. I think we should hurry up with our Sacrament, and I see nothing objectionable about the plan, so:

[X] Plan Sacrament

Also I keep coming back to the threads tendency to focus on bits. I get it they're important, but I think we're better off on finding other resources. In the short term we need bits, but having access to more things like high level books, reagents, and artifacts which we can get through expeditions reduce overall costs since we don't have to buy/make our own.
How do we go on Expeditions? Bits. How do we summon things? Bits. How do we get the exact qualities we want in a reagent? Bits. What if we find the Level 6 Book in a shop? We spend Bits. We tend to focus on Bits because Bits curtail us an awful lot.

Problem with Mansus expeditions though is that we have no real way of determining what would be the main thing. Like last time, we were assuming that surely Grail would be important, seeing as it's very obviously a Grail location! And then the only check that used Grail was for bonus loot at the end.

How do we go on Expeditions? Bits. How do we summon things? Bits. How do we get the exact qualities we want in a reagent? Bits. What if we find the Level 6 Book in a shop? We spend Bits. We tend to focus on Bits because Bits curtail us an awful lot.
This is what I'm talking about though. I do understand, but between Velvet's base salary and Rarity's work we have a solid base. We would spend less on the other options if we had more resources to start with. Considering the amount of effort needed to set up income streams we're better off focusing on expiditions which have up front costs, but have potential to net us the tools we need in both resources and with the Mansus, lores. Mansus expeditions also have the benefit of not costing anything.
Also I think people have just latched onto Filthy Rich as the solution to the problem and are underestimating the time it will take and overestimating the potential return.

Also I keep coming back to the threads tendency to focus on bits. I get it they're important, but I think we're better off on finding other resources. In the short term we need bits, but having access to more things like high level books, reagents, and artifacts which we can get through expeditions reduce overall costs since we don't have to buy/make our own.
All of those things are gated behind having the bits to acquire them. The only thing that can give us stuff with a bit cost, is the Mansus explorations. And with our cost about to massively increase with us wanting to send at least a full expedition out every turn. Scry ,cost money, a level 6 artifact, send an expedition next turn costs around 100 bits, repeating until we have them all. We are spending at base 150 bits a turn for the 6-8 turns, on just the basic stuff we need, not counting things like medicine, other rituals, and summonings which are all massively expensive. We are barely positive with no leeway if we need something done that cost bits.

Last edited:
Problem with Mansus expeditions though is that we have no real way of determining what would be the main thing. Like last time, we were assuming that surely Grail would be important, seeing as it's very obviously a Grail location! And then the only check that used Grail was for bonus loot at the end.
I mean, that's fair, but I'm also pretty sure that at least a few people rightfully pointed out that Winter would be a pretty good idea. And since this is basically a continuation of the same place, while we don't know it will help it does stand to reason that it might. Hell, basically every lore except Grail got two shots. Well, Knock and Hesrt didn't either, but they were still good for the last roll.

And hey, at least we would be able to say we tried, instead of just Leroy Jenkinsing our way in. :V

This is what I'm talking about though. I do understand, butbetween Velvet's base salary and Rarity's work we have a solid base.We would spend less on the other options if we had more resources tostart with. Considering the amount of effort needed to set up incomestreams we're better off focusing on expiditions which have up frontcosts, but have potential to net us the tools we need in bothresources and with the Mansus, lores. Mansus expeditions also havethe benefit of not costing anything.
Also I think people have just latched onto Filthy Rich as thesolution to the problem and are underestimating the time it will takeand overestimating the potential return.
Keep in mind that the later in the game the more bits it takes. We need to maintain multiple Named summons, harder expeditions cost more, highter level books cost more and so on. Rarity works to the bone to keep us solvent but it is not ideal situation and not something that can go on permanently.

[X] Plan Betterer Biedde
[X] Plan Betterer Biedde (no hubris)

I must admit, when I first read the intro I thought the mare was Velvet. And I was like "ohoh? Haters-into-lovers dyad story, starring Comet and Velvet? :V "

But alas, unless I am sorely mistaken it was our resident beast-tamer.

Still, this was great!

I don't think the Leash is a therapy tool like that. @OurLadyOfWires , is it a therapy tool like that? Because I thought it just skipped any loyalty mission in favor of mind whammy, but I will admit this scheme has me intrigued.
I don't mean to be dismissive, but I don't really know what to say. The Leash does exactly what it claims to do. It makes that character skip one step ahead on the acquaintance/minion scale as long as they are leashed.

So, Filthy is currently a Friend. If you succeed in socializing him, and everything goes well, he might become a Close Friend.

And if you Leash him, he will mechanically be a Close Friend before your actions, and a Confidante after.

Whether he is Leashed or not, the journey to make him a natural Confidante (without a Leash) would be as long as it would be with the Leash. The Leash is just an added filter you use, to determine how you can treat him and what favors you can ask him for.

So, well... that's basically it? I won't say yes or no to this "therapy" conversation because I don't even look at things that way.

Also @OurLadyOfWires this is incredibly minor, but the Extras ordering seems off? The recent ones are in the middle, and the series isn't ordered.
It should be fixed now. Sorted by date, with the introductory apocrypha being the very first regardless. Thank you!

But that wasn't enough for Velvet fucking Covers. Oh no.
She definitely lives by those words. Breaking down the doors of cult hideouts, or blowing up the entrance of orphanages for her next heist, it sure is never enough for her :V

This was awesome. Thank you for sharing it!

Just to be careful, can you confirm or deny @OurLadyOfWires
Basically that, yeah. The presence or absence of an Influence won't negatively impact the results of something you are doing. Might make it more interesting, or change the narrative. But if you roll an 80 while trying to convince a pony, having an Edge influence won't change the result. At most, it will change the narrative to say that you intimidated the pony, rather than something else.

This seems to be it.

I hope you are all doing well! I am going to post a tentative tally, but I am convinced I can't make my tallying program work properly so the following tally is not to be entirely trusted.

I'll just tally this so I can get a feeling of which plans are leading, so I can make sure I understand the wishes of the ongoing votes.

Vote Tally : Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience | Page 69 | Questionable Questing [Posts: 2124-2322]
##### NetTally 4.0.2

[X] Plan Betterer Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3, Knock 2 Edge 1, SH 1
—[X] Gift used on Knock 2 Edge 1 retroactively
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[X] (Social) Level up Jade
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Knock 2 Edge 1 reagents
--[X] To be performed on an inconspicuous place, located by Baldomare
-[X] Fleeting Opportunity: Comet Feet
-[X] Study: Forge 3, Forge 3, Mystery Book
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes
--[X] Explore the depths of the Ruined Church
No. of Votes: 8

[X] Plan Mapping the Wastes
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[X] (Forge) SH2, for Jade's RotT
-[X] Summon a Mare-in-the-Light
-[X] Explore the Mansus (x2)
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes (3x)
--[X] Any overflow from exploring the Ashen Wastes should go to finding a new location in the Shattered Stairways
No. of Votes: 7

[X] Plan Sacrament
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) SH3, for The calling of an influence
-[X] (Steppes) ask what's the general opinion about you and the Bureau among nobles and common ponies alike.
-[X] "The proper things, in the proper manner, in the proper order. God help us all." (Perform a Ritual)
--[X] "The calling of Influence" (Secret Histories)
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Explore the Red Church
--[X][MANSUS] Tarrying in the Wastes is always a poor idea… but there is no other way to discover what this place holds. (Search for a new area)
-[X] These are the skills that allow you to climb the Mansus. (Actions towards your possible Sacraments)
--[X] Attempt, even if foolishly, to untangle the webs of the Secret Histories
---[X] Investigate your current skills. To try to understand them, if nothing else. (Current progress 1/3) (THIS IS A DANGEROUS ACTION)
No. of Votes: 6

[◈] Plan: Sacrament
[X] Cochimetl
[X] des-pair-2
[X] HellFire666
[X] Limabot
[X] Potdl
[X] Solace2117

[X] Plan Betterer Biedde (no hubris)
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3, Knock 2 Edge 1, SH 1
—[X] Gift used on Knock 2 Edge 1 retroactively
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Knock 2 Edge 1 reagents
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Shattered Stairways
No. of Votes: 5

[X] Plan A Cheaper Beckoning of Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about Manehattan, what he encountered there, its neighborhoods, anywhere we should avoid if we were to visit!
—[X] (A little bit of direction if we were to send someone there)
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Wrong Key
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
No. of Votes: 4

[X] Plan A Cheaper Beckoning of Biedde (no hubris)
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about Manehattan, what he encountered there, its neighborhoods, anywhere we should avoid if we were to visit!
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Wrong Key
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Shattered Stairwells
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
No. of Votes: 4

[X] Plan Business and Light without Comet
-[X] (AotL) Grail
-[X] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[X][LEARN] "Unknown Ritual – A Memory of Light" Step one
-[X] Talk to Filthy Rich
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] The place where the Mansus was struck. You must explore it.
No. of Votes: 2

[X] Plan Wake and Dream
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Search Canterlot for the Outsider (Progress: 0/200)
-[X] Explore the Mansus
No. of Votes: 2

[X] Plan A Better Beckoning of Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3, Edge 2 (-1 AP)
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Edge 2 reagents
-[X] Explore the Mansus
No. of Votes: 1

[X] Plan A Costly summoning of Beddie
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 4
-[X] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 4 and Wrong Key
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich (RotT for lvl 6 book search instead if Jade fails her action)

[X] Plan Bright Mare Hired
-[X] (AotL) Edge(Comet Feet)
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about our reputation and how to make a more positive impression aka how to make sure ponies don't think we are a monster again(but not with those words)
-[X][LEARN] "Unknown Ritual – A Memory of Light" Step one
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Explore the Red Church
--[X] The place where the Mansus was struck. You must explore it.

[X] Plan Business and Opportunities with Edge
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan Plan Betterer Biedde

[X] Plan the most Charming Mare.
-[X] (AotL) Heart
-[X] (Steppes) ask what's the general opinion about you and the Bureau among nobles and common ponies alike.
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Summon A Mare in the Light
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
-[X] Leash Filthy Rich.

Total No. of Voters: 21

I hope you are all doing well! I am going to post a tentative tally, but I am convinced I can't make my tallying program work properly so the following tally is not to be entirely trusted.
The tally seems correct this time, actually! Or at least, it matches my own results when I run NetTally.

Who made Betterer Biedde again? Because a good point was made that the SH1 thing needs to be actually directed to Jade's ritual.
That was @spiderhellian I believe.

She definitely lives by those words. Breaking down the doors of cult hideouts, or blowing up the entrance of orphanages for her next heist, it sure is never enough for her :V

This was awesome. Thank you for sharing it!
De nada. I almost wish we could afford to actually do it like that, because I really want to see what happens when four different old monsters work together with the singular purpose of "fuck that guy in particular". It would be an amazing flex.

Like, Just imagine what our reaction would be if four Names suddenly broke down our door looking to ruin our day with almost no warning. Especially if that door was the door of a super hidden cult base nobody should know about. :V

Last edited:
The tally seems correct this time, actually! Or at least, it matches my own results when I run NetTally.
Thank you! And I absolutely don't mean this in a negative way, but I think that "Plan Pittauro" was somewhat impacting my system because I think I read somewhere that a plan with a user's name will cause that person to "give their vote" to another use.

So we had people voting for certain plans, and then for a "Plan Pittauro" and then my older-version tally could have been going into some weird loop of sorts.

Anyhow, if you say this tally is working, my faith is a little restored in my system.

Also, I checked all the plans and I don't see any problems with them. Well, the leading plan with the SH1 reagent doesn't specify it should be used by Jade, but I'll keep that in mind and assume the plan asks for that and will do it.

Other than that, everything seems to be fine! Thank you all for voting, and since we had 12 hours of moratorium, to be followed by 48 hours of voting, votes will close around this time tomorrow.

Who made Betterer Biedde again? Because a good point was made that the SH1 thing needs to be actually directed to Jade's ritual.
It kinda seemed the obvious implication to me.
De nada. I almost wish we could afford to actually do it like that, because I really want to see what happens when four different old monsters work together with the singular purpose of "fuck that guy in particular". It would be an amazing flex.

Like, Just imagine what our reaction would be if four Names suddenly broke down our door looking to ruin our day with almost no warning. Especially if that door was the door of a super hidden cult base nobody should know about. :V
Eh, if we really want to flex, you also need to add the two YOUNG monsters, Selene and Velvet Covers

Mechanically speaking, Velvet is the best addition to Mareinette or Axe in an expedition, as she adds +20 and rerolls to everything, while Axe and Mareinette have the best "general" bonuses.

Baldomare is actually not that useful as an addition. Biedde is of course a big improvement in case of actual combat.

Honestly in any expedition I can think of, the best combo for the least money is Mareinette OR Axe + Velvet + Edge 4 influence from Biedde on Velvet.

That covers literally everything, granting something like +70 to everything

Last edited:
Eh, we'd be a little low on the information gathering part, which is why I wanted Marinette and Baldomare, but we'd also be fairly good anyways. Also bodies for the violent parts, but we could probably be careful about that.

…Actually, since apparently we can have multiple Name Influences, we could just get Baldomare and Marinette to toss an Influence on as well. Social would be kinda shit relatively speaking, but otherwise we're rolling around with a massive bonus to most things.

Still not as funny as having four Names break down your door though. :V

Mechanically speaking, Velvet is the best addition to Mareinette or Axe in an expedition, as she adds +20 and rerolls to everything, while Axe and Mareinette have the best "general" bonuses.
Rerolls don't really matter on an expedition, failed rolls, either cost bits, or wounds, you can keep going so long as you have some to spare, and just roll again. A big reason to befriend Mareinette as she can just power thou any expedition even if she fails like 8 rolls.

Rerolls don't really matter on an expedition, failed rolls, either cost bits, or wounds, you can keep going so long as you have some to spare, and just roll again. A big reason to befriend Mareinette as she can just power thou any expedition even if she fails like 8 rolls.
"Rerolls don't matter"

Immediately lists two reasons (saving bits and not taking unnecessary wounds) why rerolls do matter actually :V

You know, random thought, but if we got an Edge Influence, then depending on what Biedde's Sacrament is and how risky we want to play next turn, we could theoretically have two Sacraments in one turn. That would be interesting.
True, which is part of why I've changed my mind about Biedde.

That, and that the more I think about it the more an attack from Copper now would make a LOt of sense.

I'm assuming different obstacles come with different penalties for failures.

Time lost and wounds are likely the most common, but I wouldn't be surprised at curses, or dreads and fascinations in some cases.

...I just remembered... Velvet's mechanic of "explore mansus or malus happens" was named RESTLESSNESS, right? The implication then would be that at some point, if we stop making progress, we might start getting dreads...

Well, we have conservatively (by end of last turn) ... I'd guess AT LEAST 11 points of stuff to explore

All of those things are gated behind having the bits to acquire them. The only thing that can give us stuff with a bit cost, is the Mansus explorations. And with our cost about to massively increase with us wanting to send at least a full expedition out every turn. Scry ,cost money, a level 6 artifact, send an expedition next turn costs around 100 bits, repeating until we have them all. We are spending at base 150 bits a turn for the 6-8 turns, on just the basic stuff we need, not counting things like medicine, other rituals, and summonings which are all massively expensive. We are barely positive with no leeway if we need something done that cost bits.

Some of that is self inflicted. We have tendency to throw bits at the problem to mitigate risk. Besides what do you actually think you'll get out of this. Most of what I've seen boils down to
1. Social Filthy Rich
2. ???
3. Profit

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but I think people are overestimating the return and underestimating how long it'll take. Honestly if all you care about is bits, just toss Mareinette at him. It plays to her strengths and doesn't use a Velvet action.

Keep in mind that the later in the game the more bits it takes. We need to maintain multiple Named summons, harder expeditions cost more, highter level books cost more and so on. Rarity works to the bone to keep us solvent but it is not ideal situation and not something that can go on permanently.

If winning was that determined by bits, I don't know that many of the possible starts would have been feasible. I understand why people are interested in looking into it, but I'm skeptical that the return will be worth it for the time invested at this point in the game.

I'm assuming different obstacles come with different penalties for failures.

Time lost and wounds are likely the most common, but I wouldn't be surprised at curses, or dreads and fascinations in some cases.
Curses, dreads, and fascinations don't effect Names. Really all Ax needs to just solo any expedition is some chaff health.

If winning was that determined by bits, I don't know that many of the possible starts would have been feasible. I understand why people are interested in looking into it, but I'm skeptical that the return will be worth it for the time invested at this point in the game.
One option that we don't use is theft and such. Another is to use grail or other lores to get high paying job. We would have been fine with other starts, just would have started working on getting more money earlier.

[X] Betterer Biedde

Murder Grandpa is cool. He can stab things, give Scraps, perhaps sack our enemies for loot like in the heathen days of old, y'know, useful things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back