• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Just to clarify, when we mean "China sucks" are we only talking about the party or the as a whole (the people, the culture, the civilization)? If it's the later then that's a problem……

Just to clarify, when we mean "China sucks" are we only talking about the party or the as a whole (the people, the culture, the civilization)? If it's the later then that's a problem……
The general usage is the state and thus the party (and these are not actually the same things, this goes into how Mao organized China as a state there are three distinct entities and the Party and the military are part of that triad in excercise influence on government comittees and there has been historically give and push between how much the party has versus how much the military leadership side has going back to the cultural revolution)

"China sucks" are we only talking about the party or the as a whole (the people, the culture, the civilization)? If it's the later then that's a problem
The main thing the Chinese people suck at is choosing their leadership.

Everything else? Well, as they say: 'shit rolls down hill.'

Generally when you use the nations name, you refer to the nations government or the actual land. For example, I say America sucks, there's not really any doubt I'm referring to the political system, since it's what is known for being controversial. Likewise, if I say Australia sucks, its more ambiguous due to our status as being a bit of a hell world, but also because our last like 6 successive governments have been complete jokes on the national stage (shit we had to knife the same fucker twice).

However, if I said 'Indians suck', well, you'd assume I meant the entire countries population unless you were Australian and realised I was actually talking about the cricket team. Its one of those cases that needs some interpretation work and knowledge of where someone actually comes from.

One of those things that needs both self-awareness from you to realise how you are coming off and interpretation work from the recipient. Unfortunately those are usually a poor combination.

The ultimate pain: saving a kitten from a dog... but you can't afford to keep the fifth one.

Hopefully a family friend can take it, if not we'll have to take it to the pound- it's at least young and cute, barely weaned, should get adopted fast.

I won't lie, I wish I was a skeleton sometimes.

I won't lie, I wish I was a skeleton sometimes.

Dunno where you can read it these days - I have the physical set- but go read Midori Days (Midori no Hibi)

It's a really cute but really weird manga about a guy wishing for a girlfriend and then finding a girl... attached where his right hand should be. It's not as lewd as you're probably thinking.

Anyway, one of the bonus bits reveals the author really wants to be a zombie.

What fiction promised military tech will be like in the 2020s: all sorts of cool shit.

Meanwhile in the actual 2020s: I threw a dollar at a robot dog doing a stripper routine.
Metal Gear Solid promised us giant mechs and nanomachines.

What we got was hiding under cardboard fucking boxes.

egeu71.jpg

So... here's last night's dream:

For some dream-logic reason, I got the opportunity to go back in time, but it was a one way trip. And so I sat about debating the merits and drawbacks of doing so.

On one hand: I would be able to use future knowledge to make myself rich.

On the other hand: I would have to live through the fuckery of the 2020s all over again.

I sat there debating this in my head... until my dream got distracted and I went to the gym.

My subconscious mind made the right decision.

Whenever I read about Roman history, I always get interested out by how they managed to be so ferocious and cruel, and yet so intelligent and noble.

No wonder they were the birthplace of Christianity.

I'll be honest, the greeks probably deserve more credit than the Romans, they worked their nasty little insidious habits into most everyone around the middle east and the Mediterranean and much of the philosophical backing of the early church and the roman empire is a combination of greek ideas, and bits of further east like the persians and frankly they got infected with the greek disease by Alexander's little rampage ;)

No, they don't. The Greeks weren't noble in any sense of the term.
The case of nobility could be argued for the Macedonians but practically speaking I meant more in philosophical terms in terms of the influence of the academy and structure of political and social thought as part of historical pedagogy.

The case of nobility could be argued for the Macedonians but practically speaking I meant more in philosophical terms in terms of the influence of the academy and structure of political and social thought as part of historical pedagogy.
But they're still inferior to Rome, just to be clear. Which is why they got conquered.

All that philosophy, oratory, and naked wrestling won't stop a javelin to the torso.

I accidentally pressed some button now this site is not opening in mobile view how do I change it ?

Scroll to the top of the page. On the right side of the screen are three dots. Depending on how you have your phone tilted, they will be either at the top or bottom. This is the menu icon. Touch it to get a pop up menu. If you scroll down in the menu, one of the options should say "Request Mobile Site." Select that option.

Edit: Alternatively, you may have permanently enabled desktop mode in settings. If so, tap the menu icon, go into settings, select "Site Settings," and disable Desktop mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back