• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

IRL, has any dude given his wife/girlfriend/crush headpats?
I'd be shocked to find one who hasn't.

Sometimes, they even pat you back.

Occasionally, it goes all the way to scalp massage.

It's basically a human instinct.

Dating back to when we were picking lice off each other. And eating them. Because family can embarrass us from two million years ago.

Last edited:
yeah. Me.

Most of the men in my friend group do it as well. It may be a generational quirk cause I've been doing it since like 08. Some chicks are into it, and knowing what she likes or is willing to put up with in exchange for other behaviors [two different chicks I'm 'with' are into biting and I'm not super into it, but i put up with it b ecause its their way of showing affection one of them will just bite my wrist in the middle of me trying to run DND and leave bruises, and the other one saves it for the bedroom]

Last edited:
These days I thought it was mainly an anime only thing, like it would sound/look degrading and treating the lady like a pet or someone submissive than a partner
The gesture is old, and though it can be situationally-inappropriate, is generally one of affection, both platonic and romantic. And the scalp massage is a likewise nice gesture with the same parameter.

The anime aspect is simply the sheer proliferation of using the specific English moniker "headpat". And the association of anime and cute people, mostly girls, with that word.
yeah. Me.

Most of the men in my friend group do it as well. It may be a generational quirk cause I've been doing it since like 08. Some chicks are into it, and knowing what she likes or is willing to put up with in exchange for other behaviors [two different chicks I'm 'with' are into biting and I'm not super into it, but i put up with it b ecause its their way of showing affection one of them will just bite my wrist in the middle of me trying to run DND and leave bruises, and the other one saves it for the bedroom]
The public biter is a weirdo, especially if that gets in the way of other things, causes actual physical damage, and/or if they continue if you ask them not to or stop.

The bedroom-only biter is a keeper.

Everyone on the internet sounds American these days, and it's leaking out into RL social interactions. I've seen younger fellows use American dialect, pronunciation, and slang more and more often as the years go on and younger generations get hooked to 24/7 social media.

In modern times, the only way to tell an American from a non-American is to wait till they start trotting out nationalist conspiracy theories or start complaining about how much their country sucks.

Hmmm yes... people speaking the lingua franca set by the current world hegemon take cues for wielding that language from the culture of that hegemon.
Such an unprecedented and horrible development, won't someone pleeeaaassseee save us from this and restore the mythical glory of The Queen's English and its spelling?

Everyone on the internet sounds American these days, and it's leaking out into RL social interactions. I've seen younger fellows use American dialect, pronunciation, and slang more and more often as the years go on and younger generations get hooked to 24/7 social media.

In modern times, the only way to tell an American from a non-American is to wait till they start trotting out nationalist conspiracy theories or start complaining about how much their country sucks.
Since when is that foolproof? Hating one's own country and/or hating the USA is a rather worldwide phenomenon, and always has been. And nationalist conspiracy theories are also becoming (or already are) global for the exact same reasons as the language you are complaining about.

Hmmm yes... people speaking the lingua franca set by the current world hegemon take cues for wielding that language from the culture of that hegemon.
Such an unprecedented and horrible development, won't someone pleeeaaassseee save us from this and restore the mythical glory of The Queen's English and its spelling?
The King's English.

These days I thought it was mainly an anime only thing, like it would sound/look degrading and treating the lady like a pet or someone submissive than a partner

Anime might be a place where it's treated as a special or unusual goal in itself, as opposed to a casual thing where it's just another form of touch-based affection.

Most people wouldn't mention it because it's just one minor affectionate thing out of many.

Well, I'm bloody well not calling it The Presidential English or something.
See, there's the fundamental disconnect. We don't really care that much about our president. We salute the flag, the ideal, and the constitution.

We dispose of the figurehead every six-ish years on average.

American English is the best way to call it. With something of an awkward note that this ignores that the nature of calling a country the same thing as a continent (two of them at that) leaves a lot of linguistic oddities.

Oh well, maybe one day we'll just change the names of the continents.

What? It worked for India.

there's the fundamental disconnect. We don't really care that much about our president. We salute the flag, the ideal, and the constitution.
Oh please. Do you think we don't get American news here? Or how you literally deified the first one?

The US is more obsessed with its Presidents than England, Scotland, and Wales with The King.
American English is the best way to call it. With something of an awkward note that this ignores that the nature of calling a country the same thing as a continent (two of them at that) leaves a lot of linguistic oddities.

Oh well, maybe one day we'll just change the names of the continents.
Don't worry. It's not like the other countries on that continent are relevant. Most of them don't even speak English.

Come to think of it, the only monarchs that get popular acclaim equivalent to a US President would be the old Thai king.

And the only monarchs that got popular disdain equivalent to a US president tended to get beheaded. :V
Only if they're softies like the French King. Or narcissistic idiots like Charles I.

Under ideal conditions, Kings are not beholden to the whims of their subjects any more than the shepherds are beholden to the whims of the sheep.

I met a girl at a play party who let me test her claims that she could orgasm from scalp massages. Does that count?
Should have come up with an adorable and heartwarming show that makes an entire generation of American kids start using your accents and slang like the Aussies did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back