• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

9999999 times out of 10 it's themselves. They're at fault for leaking their own data.

Fair

It's sad that these days are proving the more paranoid types right, the guys who wouldn't get a cellphone or or use a telephone in their own homes lest it turns out someone IS monitoring/checking conversations

Let alone internet use or bank account use and other identification

Still, maybe blaming it on a bunch of trillionaires who decided to take advantage of your trust would help alleviate or avoid thinking "it was my fault for putting it out there"

I have heard before that there are some families/companies we barely ever hear of that are way way way richer than guys like Bill Gates or Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos and the like

I question how they stay undercover so much, when they're so rich and influential
By distributing it, mainly. "The Family" can be obscenely wealthy, but no individual member is necessarily all that rich.

That and few people go the route of keeping a lot of showy capital. Most of the big players are more akin to the Buffet approach of investing the money as soon as they get it and living relatively quiet upper-middle-class lifestyles with upper-middle-class neighbors. While quite literally being able to buy their entire neighborhood if they felt like it.

That and keeping most of the assets directly within the business so on paper they really are "only" upper-middle-class.

It's the smarter approach anyway. See, if it's transferred to the business it gets taxed. And then if it's given directly to the owner, it gets taxed a second time. But so long as it remains in business coffers... it only gets taxed if it gets used for something that isn't a business expense.

You'd be astonished what any half-competent accountant can justify as business expenses.

Last edited:
By distributing it, mainly. "The Family" can be obscenely wealthy, but no individual member is necessarily all that rich.

That and few people go the route of keeping a lot of showy capital. Most of the big players are more akin to the Buffet approach of investing the money as soon as they get it and living relatively quiet upper-middle-class lifestyles with upper-middle-class neighbors. While quite literally being able to buy their entire neighborhood if they felt like it.

That and keeping most of the assets directly within the business so on paper they really are "only" upper-middle-class.

It's the smarter approach anyway. See, if it's transferred to the business it gets taxed. And then if it's given directly to the owner, it gets taxed a second time. But so long as it remains in business coffers... it only gets taxed if it gets used for something that isn't a business expense.

You'd be astonished what any half-competent accountant can justify as business expenses.

You'd expect many to practically be celebrities though

But I guess they did the right thing NOT to make themselves into their own brands

Not sure how so many people never knew Klaus Schwab existed till he became a meme

You'd expect many to practically be celebrities though
Some go that route.

Some stick. Lookin' at you, Trump.

Others decide they much prefer not being famous. Lookin' at you, Hilton.

Most have parents who explain in no uncertain terms why being rich and famous is objectively inferior to just being rich.

Most have parents who explain in no uncertain terms why being rich and famous is objectively inferior to just being rich.

I think those are mainly old money, they're frugal enough to have figured out ways to keep their descendants from wasting it all by hiding it

That way, they can avoid the family wealth NOT lasting more than 3 generations problem

Eating a can of sweet corn made me think how many people would starve if we didn't have corn.

...Speaking of which, what plant did corn even come from? Searching it up just gives me an odd maze of debates (pun not intended)

Eating a can of sweet corn made me think how many people would starve if we didn't have corn.
Not many, really. The Americas had a literal cornucopia of incredibly viable plants. Corn is one of the better* ones, but not the best.

That distinction belongs to the potato.

*From a strict 'work to value' conversion metric.

Maybe it was on the same asteroid as Venus Flytraps?
The flytrap was named because the discoverers thought it looked like a vagina (look, wandering around in the swamps of South Carolina does worse to a man than an acquired taste for dendrophilia). Not for any believed association with space or aliens.

Last edited:
Teosinte, a Central American grass, name meaning "grain of the gods" -- so definitely dropped by ancient UFOs.
Your body can't process it properly and you get nutrition deficiency if it's your main diet from not nixtamalizing it in a alkaline solution, so it totally is. :V

Last edited:
Not for any believed association with space or aliens.

Frieza-Dragon-ball-super-Ill-ignore-that-meme-6.jpg
- the producers of Ancient Aliens, probably.

The flytrap was named because the discoverers thought it looked like a vagina (look, wandering around in the swamps of South Carolina does worse to a man than an acquired taste for dendrophilia). Not for any believed association with space or aliens.
That was a joke. Though as I understand it, the idea that the Venus Flytrap is alien in origin is because if you trace their spread to its origin you find an asteroid impact. Circumstantial at best, but amusing nonetheless.

That was a joke. Though as I understand it, the idea that the Venus Flytrap is alien in origin is because if you trace their spread to its origin you find an asteroid impact. Circumstantial at best, but amusing nonetheless.

I'm curious if that theory came about before or after Little Shop of Horrors.

I'm worried my series major lack of smut until the fifth entry (coupled with some spin-off/ side stories planned in between) will turn readers off of one of my fics. It's not a problem for AO3 but I now how particular people are here over wether something has smut or not. Also AO3 has a series function where is here I have to make it all one thread.

I'm worried my series major lack of smut until the fifth entry (coupled with some spin-off/ side stories planned in between) will turn readers off of one of my fics. It's not a problem for AO3 but I now how particular people are here over wether something has smut or not. Also AO3 has a series function where is here I have to make it all one thread.
Uh, you can chain threads into each other by having the ending comment of one link to the start of the next one in the story. And subtitle the individual threads/stories with the full series name, and the part number, for order clarification beyond that.

Makes things less cluttered.

Uh, you can chain threads into each other by having the ending comment of one link to the start of the next one in the story. And subtitle the individual threads/stories with the full series name, and the part number, for order clarification beyond that.

Makes things less cluttered.
But the lack of smut is the issue for some of the stories. Also do chain threads work for spin offs?

Last edited:
But the lack of smut is the issue for some of the stories. Also do chain threads work for spin offs?
Well, other than making note of a lack of smut, if people want that over the actual story, there's not really much you can do.

Meanwhile, for spinoffs to a series, if the spinoff has a definite place in the story (as in, between two main parts of the series), insert in where it fits in the sequence. If not, just link to the spinoff in the first post of the parts of the series tat are relevant and connected to it.

And for QQ at least, you could also put a spoiler in your signature, that then has links to the entire series, listed in order. Thus making the list mostly unobtrusive, but making it present on every post you have.

That's happening to me as well. It didn't used to be like this as back when XF2 first updated, Twitter embeds were loading just fine.

Twitter probably changed something in the API and fucked us.

When using the safari browser to visit deviantart, the user icon sidebar doesn't scroll down for some reason. Does anyone know why that is and if there is a way to fix that?

Anybody mind telling me what would happen if I were to "request edit access" on someone else's google doc? Would the doc show me the name or gmail address of who made it while sending an alert to them, because I've been thinking of sharing my own docs with others but I also don't want them knowing that kind of information about me.

Only reason I'm not using Pastebin is because of that purge they had some time ago and I assumed they would delete anything lewd that I were to post on there.

That's happening to me as well. It didn't used to be like this as back when XF2 first updated, Twitter embeds were loading just fine.

Twitter probably changed something in the API and fucked us.

I think Twitter previously allowed image embeds, but either Twitter or the move to XF2 changed that to a live media embed which by default would give them tracking info.

My anti-tracking addons do not like that idea, and honestly neither do I.

How long should one read a book before deciding whether it's for them?

How do I regain confidence in myself and ignore other peoples opinions?

How do I regain confidence in myself and ignore other peoples opinions?

1 - Become a psychopath or narcissist.
2 - Dehumanize them until you don't perceive them as people.
3 - Move away so you can't hear them.
4 - Secretly murder one of them as an example that you have power over them which will give you confidence (but may require (1) above as a prereq).
5 - Get laid.

Idk if this is the right place to ask, I was looking for a fic I've read a while ago and wanted to check for updates. It was a worm fic featuring a protagonist getting temporary heroic spirit-like summons that taught him/her abilities. pretty sure it was a story, not "projection quest". Heavy Fate elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back