• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

From my time lurking in the cat thread, I think I can translate. Something something shipgirls.

I see.
proxy.php

Pardon me, but aren't you supposed to be able to see the profiles of suspended people? I just checked Bacle, and I was able to. TehCron's profile is not available. I have only seen that with banned people. Can someone check whether a hidden profile gives the same message?
... That is abnormal. I checked his profile the last time he was suspended. Your definitely supposed to be able to.

Pardon me, but aren't you supposed to be able to see the profiles of suspended people? I just checked Bacle, and I was able to. TehCron's profile is not available. I have only seen that with banned people. Can someone check whether a hidden profile gives the same message?
Hidden gives you this

Sufficient Velocity - Error
This member limits who may view their full profile.

He seems more indifferent then anything. Yeah he made that post outlining his reasons, but given I don't remember them they can't have been up to much.
That's because his reasoning amounted to the fallacious statement of "Topical statements belong in their own threads, put them there" and ignoring the fact that said topical discussion would not have been able to exist in the threads they belong to.

What currently shows up on TehCron is
Sufficient Velocity - Error
This user's profile is not available.

This is also what shows up with king Arthas and Habeed, two permabanned members.
Indeed. Which is ironic overall, given TehChron has, in fact, contributed more to SV then Squishy appears to have. It seems Squishy is not above throwing around his imaginary internet weight.

That's because his reasoning amounted to the fallacious statement of "Topical statements belong in their own threads, put them there" and ignoring the fact that said topical discussion would not have been able to exist in the threads they belong to.
Honestly I don't think this would have happened if Creative Discussion and Worldbuilding hadn't been pruned off from Fiction Discussion. But it was, and it kind of wilted while the user threads continued to thrive, drawing attention to them.
A major proponent of this change is MJ12, whose bias against user threads is rather clear when he calls them "ego threads".
It's a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to user threads in general.

Honestly I don't think this would have happened if Creative Discussion and Worldbuilding hadn't been pruned off from Fiction Discussion. But it was, and it kind of wilted while the user threads continued to thrive, drawing attention to them.
A major proponent of this change is MJ12, whose bias against user threads is rather clear when he calls them "ego threads".
It's a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to user threads in general.
Then frankly, you have failed as a Councillor, Bleach. I'm not going to sugar coat this. The staff fucked up. The Council fucked up. MJ12 has discernibly proven that no, he doesn't represent me as a user in the slightest. MJ12's input should not have even been weighted.

This kinda feels like that moment when you realise cops, and your government, are not good people.

Except I was able to get over that quickly with a passive "Huh".

Now I'm just face palming and shaking my head at this whole incident.

MJ12 is definitely not a person I would trust with any kind of power. He's shown, in every thread I've ever seen him in, that he's more set in his ways, and more disingenuous in his arguments, than Chron, and that's really saying something. That he's a Mod is rather telling of the general atmosphere of that group.

I'm sorry Bleach, but I do feel strongly on this entire situation. I'm not going to sugarcoat how I feel. Everyone involved has failed the users in this debacle. The people who should have been consulted, frankly, weren't.

It is not like it takes Xon more then five minutes to hit up the backend database and change who the thread is attributed to. This literally could have been solved with much less hassle by saying "wdango, you don't post here, we're giving your thread to someone else" and doing it.

Then frankly, you have failed as a Councillor, Bleach. I'm not going to sugar coat this. The staff fucked up. The Council fucked up. MJ12 has discernibly proven that no, he doesn't represent me as a user in the slightest. MJ12's input should not have even been weighted.
Don't blame Bleach for not having completed and utter control over the Council, that's not his job and you damn well know it.

Don't blame Bleach for not having completed and utter control over the Council, that's not his job and you damn well know it.
I am fully aware. Bleach shares in the failure of the council as a entity. At the end of the day, this is a giant mistimed clusterfuck that was half backed and the staff probably damn well knows it. They genuinely come off as crusaders who have to make up a damn cause instead of reorganising the site and pruning bad leaves as they should.

Aside from about 7 threads, Creative Discussion is a dead forum that literally exists because the only link between Tabletop Threads was worldbuilding and they wanted their nice little sectioning. At the end of the day, there is no reason why a move to the chat lounge wouldn't have literally solved all issues. The staff wanted to do things the hard way, not the easy way.

I get that you're mad, but you have to understand that this was far from unanimous. Squishy wanted to do something, but Ford didn't. Once the supporters of this change (there were like 2 or 3, no more, I kid you not) got Ford to change his mind, there was nothing more the Council as a whole could do. The Directors have final say, and ultimately only backlash can change their minds at all. And by changing the Director's minds, I mean Ford.

... Look. I'm sorry I'm coming off as harsh. Sorry, Bleach. You didn't deserve words as harsh as that.

But at the end of the day, the point of bringing the council further into what mods do was so that the council could appropriately have input into staff decisions. At the end of the day, this feels like two things; the staff were bored, and the council system is failing to live up to it's new expectations.

I assume that everyone are talking about the yesterday shenaningans?

If so, i'm just gonna go to IRC and let the things cool down (if this heresy filled place can even cool it's place down. that is).

I get that you're mad, but you have to understand that this was far from unanimous. Squishy wanted to do something, but Ford didn't. Once the supporters of this change (there were like 2 or 3, no more, I kid you not) got Ford to change his mind, there was nothing more the Council as a whole could do. The Directors have final say, and ultimately only backlash can change their minds at all. And by changing the Director's minds, I mean Ford.
Then frankly, the change should not have been implemented anyway. If there are only 3 people on the staff who care, then by virtue of number of people who care, it can't have actually been a big issue.

Frankly, Ford has never backpedaled on his decisions and I don't expect him to now.

*Hugs*

You...

tumblr_inline_n3jo2lTGSI1rtrjhn.gif

You're using the Pac-Man!

Then frankly, the change should not have been implemented anyway. If there are only 3 people on the staff who care, then by virtue of number of people who care, it can't have actually been a big issue.

Frankly, Ford has never backpedaled on his decisions and I don't expect him to now.
You underestimate the power of the Force how loud a few people can be. I'm pretty convinced Ford did it just to get those few supporters to shut up. Frankly, I was initially surprised action was being taken at all, since up until that point, Ford's stance was "I don't care and I don't think anything should be done."

I suspect some IRC shenanigans happened that I was not aware of that caused that shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back