• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Does anyone else think it's weird that it's illegal to sell colloidal silver because drinking it turns your skin blue, but not cigarettes when they're packed with numerous known poisons and carginogens?

If that's all the negative health effects of colloidal silver, yes, that is weird.

For that matter it's just as weird that marijuana is illegal and cigarettes aren't, for similar reasons :p

I know those reasons though: it's too easy to grow.

If that's all the negative health effects of colloidal silver, yes, that is weird.

For that matter it's just as weird that marijuana is illegal and cigarettes aren't, for similar reasons :p

I know those reasons though: it's too easy to grow.
The condition in which your skin turns blue from ingesting colloidal silver, Argyria, is considered cosmetically undesireable but not life threatening. Although if it builds up in the eyes, it can cause vision issues. Note that Argyria takes years of regular intake of colloidal silver to manifest; using it to try to treat a disease would not cause this condition.

Does anyone else think it's weird that it's illegal to sell colloidal silver despite it being used as a relatively effective medicine for centuries because drinking it turns your skin blue
No, it's not illegal. At least not in the USA, anyhow. What's a crime is claiming it's a medical treatment and/or supplement- that's fraud, and that's only allowed if you're a politician.

Silver has no function in the human body, positive or negative. It isn't toxic like other heavy metals (re: lead, mercury, etc.) so it hasn't been illegalized for human consumption, but various medical groups, including the FDA, have researched and found zero medical benefits nor efficacy in treating any known disease.

Ergo, a crime to claim it's got beneficial medical properties on the label.

marijuana is illegal and cigarettes aren't
That's a long story, and one heavily connected to illegal immigration sparked during the Mexican Revolution. Lots of Mexicans fled to the US- causing all sorts of border issues, violence, and bringing their drugs with them.

Including a fun little cultivar of marijuana that packed a particularly strong punch for the time. Which they also liked to lace with other, significantly less benign, drugs. Including cocaine and some precursor drugs that would one day be fully refined into 'crack cocaine'.

The plant was barely known to American culture at the time- being used more for medical benefits than any sort of narcotics purposes. Mainly because Americans of the time had legal opium.

Pot ain't got shit on opium. As a pain killer, as a high, as a life-wrecking addictive substance. Even today, opium is one of the most potent drugs to have ever been created. And they used to give it to children. No wonder these people weren't interested in weed.

Ergo, it was easy for the feds to just illegalize marijuana as a whole. A few doctors objected (it was a great pain reliever and was even being used to treat seizures at the time- and we now have proof it can work on those, sometimes), but the overwhelming majority of people only knew about MJ as 'that drug that those violent thugs use'.

Marijuana only started becoming viable in the American market after people realized that maybe the drug that ruined China might not be safe. But by then law and cultural attitude had been entrenched for over a generation, and it's hard to fight inertia.

Meanwhile, tobacco... delivers what it promises, and has managed to keep its nose clean of the nastier cultural associations for most of its history. Including an anti-endorsement from the Nazis (they were among the first to discover and announce health risks of tobacco- but, they were also fucking Nazis, so that just made tobacco more popular).

Last edited:
What happen to all the story tags? I just noticed they aren't showing up anymore.

Does anyone else have an issue trying to use the search bar on site?

It's just going to the Error page for me.

I believe in dwarfs/shortstacks having a ratchet culture where they pole-dance on "dicks-bigger-than me" before having sex.

I have no idea why I'm even trying to post my writing anymore. Each time I do it's in the ungodly hours for the main mass of QQ's users, it's gets traction if any a couple of hours later, and until then I sit there, with a sinking feeling in my chest that nobody cares, few people read it, and I just wasted all that time thinking about and writing it just to produce a giant piece of crap I will cringe at in a few weeks after I forget I wrote it.

Anyways, my day is great! How's yours?

I have no idea why I'm even trying to post my writing anymore. Each time I do it's in the ungodly hours for the main mass of QQ's users, it's gets traction if any a couple of hours later, and until then I sit there, with a sinking feeling in my chest that nobody cares, few people read it, and I just wasted all that time thinking about and writing it just to produce a giant piece of crap I will cringe at in a few weeks after I forget I wrote it.

Anyways, my day is great! How's yours?
Yeah, I used to get the same reception back on fanfiction.net. Eventually I just admitted that my writing is boring as heck and ditched the hobby.

Yeah, I used to get the same reception back on fanfiction.net. Eventually I just admitted that my writing is boring as heck and ditched the hobby.
I don't think that's a good solution. Writing being boring is a failure, but skill is built on repetition, which in turn in tandem with low skill (low chance to make something good) means a creating a lot of garbage before you git good.

The problem I'm taking about isn't that. It isn't even the lack of attention, though it does exacerbate the actual problem. The actual problem of... I have no idea. Expectations doesn't sound quite right. Using visible success as a measure of one's self worth? Probably it, but it does feel like it's missing something.

For those who care, I am better already.

Expectations doesn't sound quite right. Using visible success as a measure of one's self worth? Probably it, but it does feel like it's missing something.
You have a vision, and you hope to share that vision with others.

Only to find out the 'others' aren't looking, and when you're honest with yourself what's in your head was a lot better than what's on the screen.

Or, in short, you have a chronic disorder known as 'artist'.

Random thought, and it's been a loooong time since I read the books; is Elrond a hugger? Like, does he hug his bros when greeting them? For some reason I suddenly had the thought that he would, but I have no idea why.

On the bus and listening to this kid trying to explain Discord to what looks like his grandfather is just the funniest thing.

On the bus and listening to this kid trying to explain Discord to what looks like his grandfather is just the funniest thing.
he's a god/manifestation/thing of chaos with h a body of different animal parts, and was a bit of a dick when he broke free from being stoned until Fluttershy befriended him

According to my grandfather, rest his soul, old folks understand a lot more than they say they do, but will pretend otherwise to fuck with young people because good entertainment is hard to come by when you're real old.

According to my grandfather, rest his soul, old folks understand a lot more than they say they do, but will pretend otherwise to fuck with young people because good entertainment is hard to come by when you're real old.
Also to exploit them. Why bother with messing around and fiddling with technological stuff when you can play dumb and have a youngster do all the tedious work?

Also to exploit them. Why bother with messing around and fiddling with technological stuff when you can play dumb and have a youngster do all the tedious work?
Fair bit of that too.

Especially if they act like they don't understand what it is at all. Talking to people all over the world using machines is not a new thing, even typing messages to people far away isn't a new concept. Chat stuff like Discord is a new package for a relatively old concept. Old people understand what it is, maybe the details of how to use any particular iteration of the idea aren't known to everyone, but few people lack understanding of the very idea.

My grandfather probably knew more than many in his age group just because after WWII he worked for NCR from the 40's to the mid 80's before retiring and learned quite a bit about the early internet and sorta kept messing around with it for the decades of his retirement. Which ain't too bad for a guy that dropped out of school in the 8th grade.

Fair bit of that too.

Especially if they act like they don't understand what it is at all. Talking to people all over the world using machines is not a new thing, even typing messages to people far away isn't a new concept. Chat stuff like Discord is a new package for a relatively old concept. Old people understand what it is, maybe the details of how to use any particular iteration of the idea aren't known to everyone, but few people lack understanding of the very idea.

My grandfather probably knew more than many in his age group just because after WWII he worked for NCR from the 40's to the mid 80's before retiring and learned quite a bit about the early internet and sorta kept messing around with it for the decades of his retirement. Which ain't too bad for a guy that dropped out of school in the 8th grade.
To be fair by the time of Vietnam the US high school graduation rate was still less than three quarters of the population, and that was a significant improvement from 1940 so that would have not uncommon at the time, and his generation's post war educational attainment is actually pretty impressive. The boomers which followed had a more standard education profile and they're so large that they overshadow everyone else

My grandfather was the opposite. He hated and refused to admit he couldn't keep up with the time. We had to make my sister do it so he wouldn't feel embarrassed.

Today I learned that hydrating rice in cold water can result in food poisoning, making it a poor choice for a food stash against events that might leave you unable to cook food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back