1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Phase [Worm]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by FirstSelector, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

OK, so (assuming this is correct) only the parts that Piggot cares about have been shut down. Well, that is consistent with her behavior, at least. It doesn't fit the impression that I have of YG in general, but the YG in this fic seems better than that, already.

This is also a good point.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  2. KingCrimson1081

KingCrimson1081 Experienced.

Have to wonder did Emma destroy the flute in this timeline and if she did does she still have its remains, because if she reaply wants to start making amends with Taylor that might be a good start to show that she is serious and not trying to do the whole fake apology thing again.

The Dude, Prince Charon and BF110C4 like this.
  3. Daemir Silverstreak

Daemir Silverstreak Master Slacksmith

Returning the pieces would just be seen as another taunt.

4. KingCrimson1081

Not if she cleans them up and reassembles them, but yeah Taylor would be the kinda girl to see an insult in that as well.

Edit: because I just remembered.

FirstSelector there is a new omake on page 25 you never thread marked.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  5. RogueInquisitor

RogueInquisitor Getting sticky.

Even if she has the pieces, and gets them cleaned and repaired, there remains the question of how to get the flute to Taylor. She can't go in person - I doubt her parents are going to take her to Boston for this, and I don't think she can just hop on a bus or train as a minor. She might try mailing it, but I doubt she has Taylor's mailing address, and the Boston PRT are probably well aware that there is nobody to send Taylor mail, so it is likely to be intercepted in the mailroom. I can't see a scenario where Emma is able to indicate she sent it, either on the return address or an enclosed note, and the package being allowed through. If she doesn't indicate she is the sender, what is Taylor to think about being sent a flute anonymously in ths mail?

6. KingCrimson1081

Could be a tragic thing with Emma trying to show that she is serious about apologizing only to be continually blocked by the walls Taylor put up to defend herself from Emma. But for how she could go about it she could try and talk to Danny about returning it to Taylor if she doesn't know that Taylor is also not talking to him or try and get her parents to take it for her since the PRT won't let Emma near Taylor.

As for how Taylor would react to receiving the flute anonymously I imagine she would have mixed feelings since it is her mother's flute and only a few people would be aware of that fact.

7. Daemir Silverstreak

Oooor it will be seen as yet more evidence that Emma can get away with whatever she wants. There is no good ending here.

8. BF110C4

BF110C4 Know what you're doing yet?

And Emma’s dad would veto the idea because between the fact that Emma is forbidden by a federal law enforcement organization from contacting Taylor by any method under any circumstance short of an Endbringer Truce (and even there she would be allowed only minimal tactically relevant communication) and how giving her primary victim physical evidence of theft and destruction of private property would make it easier to finally force the PRT/Protectorate to act, therefore he would consider returning the flute, repaired or not, too much of a legal liability.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  9. Nikas_Zekeval

Nikas_Zekeval Know what you're doing yet?

On subversive movie night choices from Taylor? I caught part of "The Sound of Music" last night, and think Taylor would really identify with Captain Von Trapp. He was a highly decorated officer of the Austro-Hungarian Imperial Navy, who after WWI was retired because the part he lived in no longer had a coast line after Austria-Hungary was broken up.

In a post Anschluss Austria he is "offered" a commission in the German Navy. As he described the telegram? "To refuse them would be fatal for all of us. And joining them would be unthinkable."

Yeah, I can see Taylor sympathizing and maybe dropping a few more choice quotes he had against the Nazis in reference to being a Ward. Or just use Von Trapp's final rendition of "Edelweiss" or the Goodbye Song when the family makes their escape from the theater as ringtones on her phone.

10. KingCrimson1081

Well Taylor can always go with another classic like the Shawshank Redemption, since the Boston Department unlike the ENE Department doesn't have a connection to a Nazi organization in the same city. Plus she can also relate to Andy since she committed no crime but is essentially locked up against her will anyways with her wardens wanting to take advantage of her abilities for their own profits.

Darkcrest, woodzrox, Ack and 4 others like this.
  11. Nikas_Zekeval

Part of the reason is Von Trapp is offered his own sea command again, which should be and other consider an honor, and refuses because he considered the people offering it abhorrent. It was less an offer and more a pressganging with a polite veneer.

12. KingCrimson1081

Another option for a movie could be stepping away from the press ganging topic. Instead Taylor could go with the movie Carrie which she relates to on a disturbing level and the pig's blood prank is a good representation of the locker prank if she really wants the other Wards to understand her perspective and to warn them on what she could have done in response.

13. Nikas_Zekeval

I was picking movies with an eye towards expressing her feelings for Boston and "we aren't part of that, really!" attitude she is getting. Carrie is more her past with Brockton, Emma, and Sophia. And the message of going on a murderous spree when finally pushed too far is a bit more that she probably wants to imply. The Sound of Music, and the Great Escape? Is about getting away more than a roaring rampage of revenge.

And the Nazi thing isn't too far out, "Orders are Orders" seems to be the order of the day in Boston.

Ashley9469, DrWhoFan13, wtdtd and 3 others like this.
  14. KingCrimson1081

So is the Shawshank Redemption but without the Nazi connection, but similar in the fact that the antagonists are very corrupt.

Ack, DrWhoFan13 and Ashley9469 like this.
  15. Nikas_Zekeval

Except in Shawshank? It wasn't till halfway in that we knew Andy didn't do it. Heck Andy couldn't be 100% sure he didn't shoot his wife and her lover in a drunk blackout. At least in the film till Tommy showed up.

And as far as anyone else knows? Andy is a double murderer. He was tried and convicted. And as Andy put it himself, "I had to come to prison to become a crook"

Where as my recommendations don't carry that baggage, and I think you underestimate the "only following orders" or maybe procedures. Get a young parahuman who doesn't want to join? "No problem, get her father to sign her up against her will!" She accuses two other Wards, one already on probation, of actions that could be termed a murder attempt, and one of them confesses it actually happened? "Run the girl out of town to another department." Get a transfer from a department, and she tells you this is a cover up for assaults and worse by two Wards in her home town on her? "Never mind that, you must become a Ward. Justice? Sign up and go on PR duties and we might do something... down the road... maybe."

16. KingCrimson1081

True, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of Implacable with the movie options where Taylor was wrongfully convicted of a crime she didn't commit with a corrupt warden keeping her in prison despite knowing of her innocence.
    They'll do something, once she proves herself more valuable then two experienced Wards so she better work hard to catch up. And on the off chance she does manage to do that she would have probably gotten over whatever was bothering her to begin with, and if she hasn't well time to move the goal posts.

Ack, SlickRCBD and Ashley9469 like this.
  17. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

"Real heroes don't seek vengeance or revenge, this is an unhealthy mindset, so we've scheduled you for a few months of mandatory therapy sessions."

18. MovingTarget

MovingTarget Not too sore, are you?

Lol the PR Team scheduling anyone for therapy

19. KingCrimson1081

"What about seeking justice."

20. Nikas_Zekeval

"Justice? I don't see this thing called 'Justice' in our regulations. What is this 'justice' you speak of?"

21. KingCrimson1081

"Then for what reason other than revenge or vengeance do we do things?"

Prince Charon likes this.
  22. Zernoc56

Zernoc56 Know what you're doing yet?

“The Greater Good, of course!“
    *others echoing* ”The Greater Good”

23. Extras: Omake: Anti-Bullying
    KingCrimson1081

Omake: Anti-Bullying

Taylor grumbled to herself as she took her seat in the auditorium with the rest of the students for some kind of mandatory presentation the school was doing today. She would have tried to skip by hiding the bathrooms until it was over, but unfortunately it seemed that Lily was under orders to make sure she showed up to whatever this was. So this was probably another scheme to get her to agree to join the team or something like that, however she had to hand it to whoever came up with this idea they really up their game with this by dragging the whole school into the PRT's needy bullshit.

As she thought this the lights in the auditorium dimmed and Taylor was sorely tempted to just take out her phone and finish a few more chapters of her latest book instead of listening to whatever this is. Unfortunately for her before she could a young woman walked onto the stage and the ear piercing feedback from the microphone broke her train of thought.

Deciding to actually pay attention to what was going on down there, mostly to glare at whoever interrupted her reading, Taylor saw the unpleasantly familiar face of the woman who ran the Ward's PR events for Boston. Taylor didn't remember the woman's name off the top of her head mostly because the only times she met the woman was when she came to Boston, and the other was when she showed up to talk (berate) to her after what she did during the tour.

'So that's what they're doing,' Taylor thought to herself while shaking her head. It was honest in hindsight with most of the 'team' being absent today with only Lily, Reynold, and herself being at school today.

Thinking this Taylor shot a glance to where Lily was seating nearly right behind her, 'Probably to make sure I don't try and ditch this trainwreck halfway through.' Taylor thought with a grimace.

"And now may I introduce the Boston Wards," the PR woman shouted into the mic with false cheer as the familiar forms of Taylor's 'teammates' came onstage with much fanfare from the rest of the student body.

Taylor watched as the team took their positions in various poses for what looked like a rendition of their lunchbox cover. However a closer inspection showed that there were three very obvious gaps in their lineup, which was one more than the absentee Wards.

'Oh god they already worked me into their god damn PR routine didn't they,' Taylor thought while resisting the urge to facepalm.

Luckily or rather unluckily Taylor was broken out of this train of thoughts by Weld's voice coming over the speaker system.

"Hello Saint George High school, today me and my fellow Wards would like to talk to all of you about a very important topic, bullying." Weld said in an even tone as a slideshow started up behind him, and while Taylor couldn't exactly make out his facial features from.where she was sitting she would put money down on him looking directly at her.

'So an anti-bullying seminar they are really doing it,' Taylor thought, 'yeah I mean go ahead blast my experiences to the whole world why don't you.'

It wasn't like Taylor had never heard of anti-bullying seminars or even the Wards doing then from time to time, but it was always something she put down as something that happened at other schools that weren't named Winslow. Apparently Arcadia had one at least once a year if she remembered correctly, of course thinking this made Taylor realize that Emma and Sophia would have been apart of such events and to say the irony left a bitter taste in her mouth would be an understatement.

Deciding not to participate in this farce any longer Taylor pulled out her phone and started scrolling through PHO. All the while Weld and the other Wards went over what Taylor assumed were the standard talking points, see something say something, tell an adult or teacher, and of course don't react, to them as if any of those things actually worked becaused news flash she tried and look where she is now.

Before Taylor knew it Weld got through the last of the slideshow to the obligatory applause of the rest of the school, but instead of walking off stage so Taylor could get on with the rest of her day he did something that Taylor really should have expected by this point.

"Any questions?" He asked as countless hands shot up, mostly to get a chance to talk to an actual hero rather then out of any care bullying or its victims. Because for as much Taylor hated to admit it the Principle was being honest when he said he had a zero tolerance policy on bullying, hell the kids at this school had probably never seen someone being intentionally shoved around in the hall much less what an actual bullying campaign loomed like.

Weld made a an act of looking across the auditorium before his metal eyes settled in Taylor's direction and a pit of dread opened up in her stomach.

'Oh he wouldn't dare,' she thought. But it made sense get her here talk about a topic close to home, and have Lily in the back to let them know exactly where she was sitting so they can go through with their fucked up public therapy bullshit or whatever the hell the plan was here.

"Ah yes you in the back with the curly black hair and glasses," Weld called out giving way to many descriptions about her as all the eyes turned in her direction.

'Welp no use pretending he was talking about someone else now is there,' Taylor thought as she stood up and a mic was handed to her by some rude supervisor.

Sighing to herself Taylor took the mic with a grunt, well if she is doing this might as well make them pay for it she thought before speaking. "Okay fine my question is do any of you up there actually believe the bullshit you're saying or did whoever write your scripts just tell you to say it and you didn't ask any questions?"

The entire room went quiet at her question and Taylor was able to make out a faint grimace on Weld's features from her position.

"Well you see bullying is a complicated topic and..." Weld tried to get something out, and Taylor was almost disappointed she had thought by now they would have expected this from her.

"Then why are you doing this here? And not say a school that actually has a bullying problem, is it because you know they won't care about what you have to say, or doign this at a lower income school just doesn't give the same PR boost as it does here?" Taylor drove in harder she wanted to make whoever came up with this regret it, be it Gauss, Weld, or fucking Armstrong himself.

"Well the Wards and Protectorate have a limited amount of time to do these events and..." Weld once again tried to get out.

"So people in these schools who are probably being bullied just don't matter then? Because let me tell you this what you said up there about dealing with bullies talking to a teacher or getting help doesn't work, and I know because I tried it and it was always my word against theirs and there was more of them then me so guess who got punished for attention seeking behavior." Taylor asked mockingly, she was furious how dare they think she wanted this to put under the spotlight like this.

"Most people like that just want a reaction out of you so ignoring them should make them lose interest." Roulette spoke up for Weld who looked like he was about to melt.

"Nope that doesn't work either, ignoring them just makes them escalate to worse things." Taylor bit back.

"If that is the case I am sure a teacher will step in and do something," Weld said trying desperately to regain control of the situation.

"Wrong, because by that point you already asked them and they put you down as a liar or they aren't paid enough to actually do anything about it. So you go on ignoring them and they keep escalating: fighting back just gets you punished so why bother? Until eventually they escalate so far and you end up in the god damn hospital after what they did. I know most people would think that by that point surely something will be done, and I will admit I hoped that too, for a moment that is. So you know what did happen?" Taylor heard silence which she took as her cue to go on, "Absolutely nothing happened. The ones who put you in the hospital get off without even a slap on the wrist and you get shipped off to a different school district to avoid having to punish anyone or deal with the lawsuit. That is what happens. Be inconvenient enough and you get swept under the rug for your troubles."

Taylor was nearly panting now it hurt to let everything out like that and she knew she would regret it once she calmed down but they fucking deserved it. She took one more look at Weld before handing her mic back to the silent supervisor and sat back down.

Before Weld or any of the other Wards could dig themselves any deeper the same woman from the beginning stepped onto the stage, probably to end this tragedy of a Q and A session.

"Unfortunately that is all the time we have today thank you Saint George Highschool for having us with you today," she said with a level of cheer that sat at odds with the mood in the auditorium.

As the Wards were ushered off the stage the rest of the students made way to leave. Luckily for Taylor due to her position near the back she was one of the first groups to leave which save her from most of the stares that followed her out after her outburst. Deciding she might as well not bother with the rest of her classes today she made her way to her locker to gather up her supplies and make for the exit.

As she made her way out of the building she spotted Lily approaching from the side making a directly beeline towards her.

"Taylor we need to talk," she shouted towards her but Taylor just ignored her a kept walking towards the doors.

"Taylor please," Lily begged, but Taylor wasn't listening she had enough emotions for one day and was done.

Brushing past Lily Taylor walked down the steps at the front of the school and made her way to one of the bus stops. She had new stash for her vigilante supplies a few stops down and she wasn't doing anything else today so might as well start her patrol early.

Sitting down on the bus she open her phone to see numerous messages from the rest of the Wards, the PR manager, and Armstrong himself requesting a meeting at the earliest convience.

'Yeah no,' Taylor thought, 'they put her on the spot like that now they have to deal with the consequences.'

Upon thinking this Taylor had another idea and seeing she had some time before her stop she requested the forms from Jim about a risk to her secret identity. In the mean time she opened one of the PHO threads dealing with the local news only to see some new ones already blowing up about the Ward's latest PR failure.

Smiling to herself Taylor accessed one of the threads, 'might as well fan the flames while she has some time on her hands,' she thought as the bus drove off.

A.N: Hey FirstSelector have a new omake for your and let me know what you all think.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  24. MovingTarget

MovingTarget Not too sore, are you?

Nice, watching the PR Team and Wards get their noses rubbed in it was perfect.

They keep jumping on that rake and are surprised it keeps hitting them in the mouth.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  25. Highlord

Highlord Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, anti-bullying policies and seminars are nothing but empty, feel-good bullshit meant to gaslight the victims into silence.

The only way to stop bullying, anywhere, not just in schools, is violence. Turns out it's hard to be a bully when you get shoved down a flight of steps, or hit in the spine with a chair.

26. KingCrimson1081

Yeah but then you get charged with things like assault and attempted murder which just makes the situation worse.
    Basically the thought process went like this.

Weld: "Lets show Taylor that we care."

Other Wards: "Yeah!"

Taylor: "Wow you guys are out of touch."

Ashley9469, pok08, apeljohn and 14 others like this.
  27. Daemir Silverstreak

Nahhh, schools hate getting cops involved the same as the rest of us. You get slapped with a suspention, eat the punishment and come back the victor.

Little shits never tried me again.

28. KingCrimson1081

Unfortunately for Taylor if she tried that she would have only proved Sophia and Emma right, so better she screw them through their own system instead of stooping to their level.

29. Nikas_Zekeval

It would be wonderfully ironic if Taylor used the school’s anti-bullying policy to get Lily to leave her alone, at least at school. “She just won’t take no I’m not interested for an answer, always pestering me despite my repeated and more blunt refusals.”

And Forks St. George’s. Either they live up to their policy and warn Lily to leave Taylor alone at school… or they bend to the Wards program and show themselves liars to Taylor by ‘trying to talk this issue out.’”

Armstrong’s meaning of “earliest convenience” is right the Fuck Now. Taylor’s definition is “half past never, or at least not till Jim rakes you over the coals first.”

Jim, “If you wanted to use Phase as your plain clothes sock puppet to start off the Q&A session, you should have briefed and practiced this with her ahead of time. Not put her on the spot and then complain about her unscripted but heartfelt response.”

I wonder how this blowup would be seen within the school, or elsewhere.

PHO
    Sikan:
    Brutal but realistic takedown of the anti-bullying pap. And is it me or does her accent not sound Bostonian? I mean, how bad does the situation have to be the transfer is from out of the city, and maybe state?

30. KingCrimson1081

If you give a vague request expect a vague response is Taylor's main defense to Armstrong's orders.
    As well as the fact that the action nearly put Phase's personal identity at risk since Weld made a point of singling her out in the crowd despite her not doing anything to catch his attention so obviously he knew her from somewhere.
    You know I was gonna have Taylor mention that some of the people on PHO connect her to Winslow but I figured that would to soon due to the event only being a few minutes before hand perhaps in a few hours after they will start connecting the dots cus you know the online community is fast when it wants to be.

pok08, apeljohn, Reader101 and 11 others like this.