1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mascot & Magic: Revival

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Royal_Sword13, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Threadmarks: Day 2 Results, Second Ignition!
    Royal_Sword13

Royal_Sword13 I Am A Sword. A MAGIC Sword!

[X] A young girl around Kuhaku’s age, with eyes the color of royal purple. Well, you could only see one eye, the other was covered by an eyepatch. She also had some bandages wrapped around her left arm with something written on it that you couldn’t make out. She seemed to be… making an amateur ritual circle, badly?

You took a moment to look over the ritual circle the purple eyed girl was making. While it was very rough and used several different mystic sigils and runes from different mythological systems, which was not a good thing if they actually wanted it to work. From a general overview, it looked like an attempt at a summoning circle, trying to call upon a familiar perhaps? Or maybe calling forth a spirit of the world, or the dead? Honestly you couldn’t really tell what she was trying to conjure. ‘ Honestly, this is worse than amateur work, I need to have some serious words with whoever her mentor is.’ You thought, before remembering that you were in the human world, and thus she likely didn’t have any actual teachers in the true occult. ‘Oh, I should probably intervene before something bad happens.’

With that thought you flew on down and landed silently behind the self-taught wannabe hedge mage. Now that you were closer, you could see that all the sigils on her bandages were a set of Runes, Elder Futhark, that spelled out the words ‘Lock’, ‘Bind’, and ‘Seal’. You could see the idea, using similar words to reinforce a particular concept in order to strengthen the effect of an enchantment, in this case some sort of restraint likely to hold back excess energy from interfering with more delicate ritual work. At least, that’s what you would say, but you don’t detect a bit of magical energy from the bandages or the runes. The only Magic you could sense from her was the Ember within.

“Pardon me, but your ritual craft needs some refinement.” You speak up, spooking the girl who flailed her arms a bit as she rapidly stood up and tried to turn to face you, only to land ungratefully on her rear end with a soft ‘ow’. “Well, that was certainly a reaction, apologies for the scare.”

“Why did you sneak up on me, don’t you see that I was…in the middle of…something?” The girl’s potential admonishment of your actions was soon extinguished as she truly looked at you and saw just what she was talking to. “A dog?”

You shrugged, wings flapping once along with the gesture much to the girl’s surprise. “Well, if you want to be technical about it, the body I’m using is an alchemical construct similar to a homunculus in the shape of a winged dog.” You said. “I assure you though, I am much more than that.”

The girl was silent for several moments, and you feared that you had sent her into shock when your hearing picked up on a noise coming from her, and soon noticed her body trembling in excitement as she gave you a large smile. “OHMYGOD,YOUAREATALKINGANGELDOG!” She rapidly said while letting out a squee of unbridled joy. She then shook herself and turned away slightly and whispered to herself, even though you could hear her just fine. “Get yourself together, what kind of impression are you making!? You’re supposed to be an awesome witch of dark magic, not a fan girl!” She then cleared her throat and slowly stood up, before… posing?

“Tremble, you stand before the Sorceress of the Evening Flame! Caller of Dark Forces, Master of the Night Throne! Heaven and Earth quake in my presence, for I am the one known as Yoru Fushigi!” She declared, pointing at you with her bandaged arm while seeming quite proud of her words. Once more, your innate translation rearranged her name to fit, putting her given name first and family name last.

“… Well, nice to meet you.” You said while mentally preparing yourself. Dramatic mages are always so exhausting to deal with. You just needed to be patient. “I go by Do-Gi currently while in the human world, so please refer to me as such.”

The girl, Yoru, seemed to deflate a little at your casual greeting. She soon regained her dramatic composure though, and resumed gesturing in a grandiose fashion. “And why are you here upon this plane, Do-Gi? Did perhaps one of my rivals summon you to spy on me, or have you come to pledge your allegiance to me?” She asked.

“No, rather I’m on a mission to retrieve a number of very important relics from history that humans have forgotten and lost. Relics that are so powerful, they threaten the very balance of creation itself.” You said, adding a touch of dramatic flare to your words, but not much. “As for how you fit into that… Well, I am in need of champions. Warriors and heroes who will stand against the forces who would misuse the power of these relics, beings of calamity who are a danger to all. The Accursed and their Dregs, evils from an age lost to mankind.”

“I get to be a magic hero!?” Yoru shouted, her persona shattered for a moment as she lost all composure and became really energetic. “This is so cool! what kind of powers do I have, can I fly, summon demons, go into people’s dreams, what about-!?”

“Whoa, slow down!” You barked, perhaps a tad too loudly as she winced and took a step back while massaging her ears. “I won’t know until I can get a look at your Ember and kindle it. Of course, I need your permission and I do understand if you need some time to think on it-“

“What do I have to do?” She asked, interrupting you and throwing you off your mental track.

“Pardon?” You asked, wanting some clarification.

“Like, do I have to pass some trial, stand in some ritual circle while you chant incantations, go through some meditation to look deep within myself?” She asked, before she made a face that you lacked words to describe. “I don’t have to eat some weird plant and go on some kind of vision quest, do I?”

“… What? No, why in the world would you have to do any of that?” You asked, wondering what info she had access to for her self-taught sorcery. “I just pull forth your Ember, and feed the innate potential you have to kindle it into an active state. None of what you just said is needed.”

“Oh, okay…” Yoru said, and she seemed both disappointed and relieved at the same time.

“I do recommend sitting down for this though, in a comfortable position.” You said, and Yoru said cross legged on the ground. “I also recommend removing those makeshift sealing bandages… might cause some issues.”

“Oh, right…” She said before doing as asked, taking off the bandages, and then took off her eyepatch, showing she had a fully functional pair of eyes. “It’s so I have an eye already adjusted to the dark, in case of sudden blackouts… or so I can read books in the dark faster…”

“Oh, I’m familiar with that trick.” You said, nodding in understanding before walking over and placing your paw on the purple eyed girl. “Now, this may either feel tingly, or like you’re being incinerated, so please brace yourself.”

“Wait, WHAT-!?”

Time Stood Still.

You looked at a dark purple Ember that also had an almost transparent look to it. You can feel a heavy alignment to Darkness in the Ember, along with a few more interesting concepts. Pulling out the Sparks of potential, you noted that she had 60 Sparks, just like Kuuhaku. You also took a somewhat deeper look to figure out what her initial weapon and power would be. You saw… a set of throwing knives for the weapon, and got the sense of something being hidden from sight for the power. Now then, how were you going to invest these Sparks?

Plan Format for Votes, Please.

Starter Power is Shade Shroud: The user calls upon darkness to obscure and hide their form, making it harder to hit them and effectively becoming invisible in dark areas.

[ ] Dim Light: Gain the power to decrease the light level of the battlefield or a room the user is in, down to halve the natural brightness. (5 Sparks)
    [ ] Extinguish Light: Gain the power to knock out all non-magical light sources in the battlefield or a room, except for natural sunlight. Requires Dim Light (10 Sparks)
    [ ] Eclipse Light: Engulf the battlefield or a room in magical darkness, blocking out even magical and sunlight, for 2 Turns. Requires Extinguish Light (15 Sparks)
    [ ] Night Bringer: The user can, for 2 Turns, turn day into a moonless night. Increases the user's and allies speed and magical power while it is night time as well, while dulling the senses and accuracy of enemies. Requires Eclipse Light. (20 Sparks)

[ ] Shadow Pin: By throwing a dagger or other sharp projectile into a target’s shadow, paralyze them until either the projectile is destroyed/removed, or the shadow disappears. (10 Sparks)
    [ ] Shadow Strike: The user can attack the target’s shadow to deal half damage to the target, dealing injuries through it. Requires Shadow Pin. (15 Sparks)
    [ ] Shadow Thief: The user can choose to steal a pinned target’s shadow from, halving their abilities and stats for 2 Turns. If slain in that state, they give an additional 5 Sparks to the killer. Requires Shadow Pin. (15 Sparks)
    [ ] Abyssal Assassination: By focusing their energy into their next attack, and striking a target’s shadow to destroy it, the user has a chance to inflict Instant Death. Requires Shadow Strike and Shadow Thief. (20 Sparks)

[ ] Dark Duplicate: The user can make a shadowy copy of any item they hold, as long as it is non-magical. The item can only be used once being destroyed. (10 Sparks)
    [ ] Dark Forgery: The user can make multiple shadow copies of non-magical items now, and they even shift them to look like the real thing, just darker. Requires Dark Duplicate. (15 Sparks)
    [ ] Dark Doppelgänger: The user can make one copy of another creature they touch, creating a living shadow version that obeys their command. They are fragile and don’t have access to special abilities, but can still attack with weapons. Requires Dark Duplicate. (15 Sparks)
    [ ] My Own Shadow: Creates a perfect silent copy of the user with all their powers and strengths except this one. Any Dreg kill they make count towards the user. Requires Dark Forgery and Dark Doppelgänger. (20 Sparks)

[ ] Deep Shroud: The user becomes engulfed in a cloud of shifting darkness that completely obscures their form, making it near impossible to see them past it. Allies near the cloud are partially obscured as well. (10 Sparks)
    [ ] Masked Shroud: The user can shape the shroud into a disguise, taking on any form they have seen for 3 Turns, only applies to appearance and physical ability. Requires Deep Shroud. (15 Sparks)
    [ ] Erased Shroud: While the shroud is up, enemies will be unable to perceive the user and temporarily forget they were ever there, however attacking will break the effect. Requires Deep Shroud. (15 Sparks)
    [ ] Umbral Masquerade: The shroud envelopes all and twists the senses. All enemies lose the ability to perceive the user and allies for 2 Turns, while all enemies perceive each other as the user and allies. Requires Masked Shroud and Erased Shroud. (20 Sparks)

[ ] Dark Body: The user moves faster and can see in the dark, and can easily be overlooked by others while in shaded places. (5 Sparks)
    [ ] Dark Mind: Can see through Illusions and Invisibility, Immune to Fear and Charm. Thoughts are muddled and hidden from mind readers. Requires Dark Body (10 Sparks)
    [ ] Dark Heart: Can travel between shadows, and transform into a Shadow Elemental, a being made of pure intangible darkness, becoming immune to non-magical attacks and can float through the air like a wraith for 2 Turns. Immunity to Possession and Resistance to Spiritual Attacks. Requires Dark Mind. (20 Sparks.)

[ ] (Special) Evil Eye: A dark eye that delivers curses upon those it falls upon, dooming the victim to misfortune. Targeted enemy rolls will suffer a -10 malus for 3 Turns. Comes with a fancy eyepatch! (10 Sparks)

[ ] (Special) Demon Arm: An arm infused with cursed energy, bound in bandages bearing mystic sigils to suppress its dark power! Can be unleashed to give +20 to an Attack or Magic Roll, only once per battle. Comes with cool black and gold bandages and purple tattoos! (10 Sparks)

[ ] Additional Armaments: Most Champions only have one weapon, but by investing some Sparks, additional weapons can be given. Can be picked up to two times. (5 Sparks).
    -[] Melee: A weapon like a sword, a hammer, a spear, or an axe as examples.
    -[] Mystic: A weapon meant for channeling the user’s Magic. Staffs, Wands, Talismans, and Emblems all fall under this category.
    -[] FIST!: Not technically a weapon, this rather gifts gauntlets or brass knuckles like items that can enhance the unarmed physical blows of the Champion.

[ ] Reinforced Outfit: While certain outfits have armor on them, not all of them tend to be. So, you can invest some Sparks into boosting the defensive abilities of the Champion’s outfit. Can be taken up to three times. (5 Sparks.)

[ ] Enhanced Masquerade: While Champions possess a minor form of perception filter that protects their identities, but by spending some Sparks, you can make it so that even if they saw the Champion transform in front of them, they wouldn’t be able to form a connection unless outright told by the Champion. (10 Sparks.)

[ ] Environmental Protection: You know what would be nice? If you Champion didn’t have to worry about things like radiation, poison gas, or a literal vacuum. With this, those are worries of the past. (10 Sparks.)

[ ] Impact Change!: Sometimes, you need the bad guys to back off while transforming. With an investment of Sparks, you can make so that any Dregs close to the Champions are blasted away when they transform. The Champion will also find their first attack after transformation will be much stronger. (15 Sparks.)

[ ] Emergency Reserve: With some investment, you can make sure that the Champion will have a backup supply of magical energy to call upon once their main source dries up. (15 Sparks)

[ ] Encore Mode: Sometimes, the first showing isn’t enough. Sometimes, you’re spent and the enemy just won’t go down. Sometimes, you need to go beyond your limits. Encore Mode is what most would call a Super Form. For 4 Turns, the Champion can access Encore Mode, boosting their Magic and physical abilities. Once those 4 Turns are up however, the curtain falls and the Champion reverts to Civilian form and can’t transform again for the rest of that Day. (20 Sparks.)

[ ] (Special) A Shadow’s Light: ??? (5 Sparks)

[ ] Favor of Chance: Games of chance, the roll of a dice, the luck of finding some cash on the sidewalk, or meeting someone who could be important in the future. By investing some Sparks, the Champion is blessed with an odd sort of good luck. (5 Sparks.)

[ ] Favor of Fate: Destiny seems to have taken a liking to the Champion, or maybe it’s the Sparks you’ve used to bribe the cosmos. Either way, you never have to worry about accidents or bad luck inconveniencing your Champion while they work with you. (10 Sparks.)

[ ] Ignition of Friendship: A bit of an odd one, the Champion seems to attract those who could become genuine good friends with them. They’ll come to them instead of just leaving them alone, in the vein of an extrovert basically adopting an introvert if the Champion isn’t the most social person. The Champion still needs to work to maintain those friendships, but it does handle the initial meeting. (15 Sparks.)

[ ] Blessing of Wealth: Well, you were sure that this might be technically illegal, but hey it’s all for the sake of saving the world. The Champion will wake up each day with the equivalent of $100 USD in the local currency, stored in a convenient pocket space. (15 Sparks.)

[ ] Blessing of Sorcery: Normally, a Champion can only access their Magic when transformed, but this will let them use their Core Magic while in Civilian form. (20 Sparks.)

2. SeerKing

SeerKing Versed in the lewd.

[X] Plan: Shadow Slayer
    -[X] Shadow Pin: By throwing a dagger or other sharp projectile into a target’s shadow, paralyze them until either the projectile is destroyed/removed, or the shadow disappears. (10 Sparks)

-[X] Shadow Strike: The user can attack the target’s shadow to deal half damage to the target, dealing injuries through it. Requires Shadow Pin. (15 Sparks)
    -[X] Deep Shroud: The user becomes engulfed in a cloud of shifting darkness that completely obscures their form, making it near impossible to see them past it. Allies near the cloud are partially obscured as well. (10 Sparks)
    -[X] Dark Body: The user moves faster and can see in the dark, and can easily be overlooked by others while in shaded places. (5 Sparks)
    -[X] (Special) Evil Eye: A dark eye that delivers curses upon those it falls upon, dooming the victim to misfortune. Targeted enemy rolls will suffer a -10 malus for 3 Turns. Comes with a fancy eyepatch! (10 Sparks)
    -[X] (Special) A Shadow’s Light: ??? (5 Sparks)
    -[X] Dim Light: Gain the power to decrease the light level of the battlefield or a room the user is in, down to halve the natural brightness. (5 Sparks)

3. sportoner

sportoner I trust you know where the happy button is?

[X] Plan No Escape From The Master of the Night
    -[X] Shadow Pin: By throwing a dagger or other sharp projectile into a target’s shadow, paralyze them until either the projectile is destroyed/removed, or the shadow disappears. (10 Sparks)
    -[X] Shadow Strike: The user can attack the target’s shadow to deal half damage to the target, dealing injuries through it. Requires Shadow Pin. (15 Sparks)
    -[X] Shadow Thief: The user can choose to steal a pinned target’s shadow from, halving their abilities and stats for 2 Turns. If slain in that state, they give an additional 5 Sparks to the killer. Requires Shadow Pin. (15 Sparks)
    -[X] Abyssal Assassination: By focusing their energy into their next attack, and striking a target’s shadow to destroy it, the user has a chance to inflict Instant Death. Requires Shadow Strike and Shadow Thief. (20 Sparks)

A chance to inflict Instant Death is too tempting to ignore.

4. NaanContributor

NaanContributor Provider of delicious flatbread, and nothing else

Looks like we have our Rogue. How does the “Attacking enemies’ shadows” tree interact with the “Making the area darker” tree? If the area is as dark as night, then would anyone still have a shadow for her to target?

5. SpacePaladin

SpacePaladin Versed in the lewd.

[X] Plan: Shadow Trapper

-[X] Dark Duplicate: The user can make a shadowy copy of any item they hold, as long as it is non-magical. The item can only be used once being destroyed. (10 Sparks)
    -[X] Shadow Thief: The user can choose to steal a pinned target’s shadow from, halving their abilities and stats for 2 Turns. If slain in that state, they give an additional 5 Sparks to the killer. Requires Shadow Pin. (15 Sparks)
    -[X] (Special) Evil Eye: A dark eye that delivers curses upon those it falls upon, dooming the victim to misfortune. Targeted enemy rolls will suffer a -10 malus for 3 Turns. Comes with a fancy eyepatch! (10 Sparks)

6. Royal_Sword13

No, but that’s due to there being a difference in tactics when deploying the darkening area effect.

NaanContributor likes this.
  7. NaanContributor

[X] Plan Spark Thief
    -[X] Deep Shroud: The user becomes engulfed in a cloud of shifting darkness that completely obscures their form, making it near impossible to see them past it. Allies near the cloud are partially obscured as well. (10 Sparks)
    -[X] Dark Body: The user moves faster and can see in the dark, and can easily be overlooked by others while in shaded places. (5 Sparks)

Plan Shadow Slayer is the extant plan that I like most, and I might switch to it depending on how the vote goes. But I really want Shadow Thief so that we can get more Sparks from kills. So I regretfully traded out Evil Eye since it overlaps a bit as a debuff attack (she’ll have to obtain her more Chuuni abilities with some battles), and Dim Light since it’s non-synergistic with the Shadow attacks.

8. Swedish15

Swedish15 Versed in the lewd.

[X] Plan Spark Thief

First of all, I think that A Shadow's Light is non-negotiable. Then, the Shadow Thief upgrade is very, very valuable - the more Sparks we get, the faster we upgrade, and since it's five Sparks per kill, wellll. That's four targets for the most expensive stuff on this list!

9. iamweirdo

iamweirdo Know what you're doing yet?

[X] Plan Spark Thief

10. Threadmarks: Day 2 Results, Part 2
    Royal_Sword13

[X] Plan Spark Thief

The Sparks were fed into the Ember, which grew both darker and obscure, seemingly sucking in the light around it, before bursting and engulfing Yoru in the amethyst flames. When they faded like shadows, she revealed in a garb befitting an assassin. Clad in lightweight fabrics that covered almost the entirety of Yoru’s body that seemed to shift between the blue of a natural night sky to black, changing in a way you knew would adjust based on the light level. The garb came with both a hood and face mask so that only her purple eyes could be seen when both were up. Against the night sky or in dark places, she would be hard to see in a way that when paired with her magic, would make her practically invisible. You could tell that the outfit had plenty of hidden pockets that could contain her throwing knives.

She looked like a practical ninja.

The image was immediately shattered as she leapt into the air and started to gleefully go over her new outfit and pull out her throwing knives, small blades that looked like shards made of shadows, almost resembling obsidian. “This is sooooo cool! I’m like a magic ninja, oh can I do that shadow clone thing?” She asked, before making a hand sign of some sort and tried to mold her magical energy into doing something, only for it to do… nothing. “… Huh?”

“I didn’t unlock that particular power.” You remarked to the excited girl. Looking closer with your non-physical senses, you could see a tether between Yoru and…someone else, a pair of ethereal light and dark strings that wrapped around each other, the dark string appearing more visible compared to the light string. How fascinating, you wondered what this represented. You tapped the strings-

Golden eyes, full of kindness and understanding, a warm light that played with a shadow who wished to live in her delusions. A friend, the radiant sun that the night would always long for, separated by the Vermilion Bird and Azure Dragon as time passed, the subjects of the two beasts standing as a wall between them.

-and pulled back while blinking rapidly, the echo of laughter not your own echoing in your mind along with the hidden feelings for another held by a lonely shadow.

“Kagayaki Jihi” You whispered to yourself, in the local manner of family name first and given name last. Perhaps you should give this person a look later, and figure out what else this bond might mean. But before that, you had Yoru suddenly in your face.

“What did you unlock, what cool magic stuff can I do?” She asked, eyes sparkling in wonder and curiosity. “Can I teleport, fly, summon demons from the underworld to do my bidding?”

“None of that, your powers are a bit more roguish.” You said, before explaining what it is she could do, much to her seemingly eternal excitement.

“I can attack and steal shadows, and shroud myself in a cloud of darkness! Oh, this is great! I need to read up more on ninjas, wait can I use the Internet? Is this a tech vs magic thing? Or-“ The girl started to mumble and go on an indecipherable tangent.

You bonked the girl on the head.

“Before all that, there’s someone you should meet.” You said, and Yoru’s head tilted in confusion.

“Who?”

Kuuhaku was giving you a long stare while the new recruit was gushing over her outfit, moving around and poking the armor plates and feeling the texture of the hooded cloak while going on and on about how cool everything was. You had to keep a straight face and keep from laughing at the sight of it, especially when Kuuhaku grabbed Yoru and dropped her into a Void Door while opening another above it, leaving the expressive Kunoichi to fall repeatedly.

“Why?” She asked, looking back over to Yoru as the girl cheered as she accelerated through the fall loop. “She seems… loud.”

“Eh, give her a day or two, I’m sure she’ll get into the role soon enough.” You said, already shifted into Combat Mode. “Besides, I figured that bringing her along would be a good idea, having several sparring partners would do you good in experiencing different fighting styles in a safe environment.”

“… Okay.” Kuuhaku said, plucking Yoru from the fall loop and closing the Void Doors while plopping the new girl on the sandy beach.

“Whooooa, that was crazy!” Yoru said, pulling down her face mask, which made Kuuhaku react with some recognition.

“Nn…” Kuuhaku removed her mask, which made Yoru recognize her.

“Oh hey, you’re Chinmoku-Chan, right?” She asked, standing up. “Wow, so you’re a magical girl, I would not have called that!”

“You know each other?” You asked, somewhat surprised. You had the impression neither had a particularly high amount of friends.

“Oh yeah, we both go to the East Hoseki Academy, or the ‘House of the Azure Dragon’ if you ask the more intense and mean students.” Yoru said. “They take the rivalry between the schools way too far!”

“Mostly from the northern half.” Kuuhaku said.

“Yeah, most of the students who really get into it are from the north east part of the city. Man, I bet North Hoseki Academy is full of these people. South Hoseki Academy isn’t much better though, they can be just as bad sometimes.” Yoru said, her eyes momentarily losing their sparkle, before a tiny spark of gold flashed almost unseen in the purple orbs, bringing it back while she seemed to gain the brief expression of recalling a good memory. “So, training?” She asked.

Right, that was something to look into.

“I started Kuuhaku on some combat analysis training, but against a single opponent it’s not as effective as it could be. But with two different sparring partners with different styles, that could help her better, and you as well.” You said, flapping your wings lightly and disturbing the sand. “Though, we could try something different. You both have ranged weapons, even if they are different in use, so training up your accuracy would be a good idea…”

Hmm, what to do?

How do you train your Champion?
    [ ] Train Ranged Accuracy: Work to improve a Champion’s accuracy and skill with their weapon.
    -[] Kuuhaku
    -[] Yoru
    [ ] Train Unarmed Combat: Teach a Champion how to fight without a weapon, given your own lack of skill, the best you can do is a brawler style.
    -[] Kuuhaku
    -[] Yoru
    [ ] Train Evasion: You can work to help your Champions improve their ability to evade attacks and dodge in combat, avoiding damage is always better than tanking it.
    -[] Kuuhaku
    -[] Yoru
    [ ] Train Analysis: You can teach your Champions how to observe and take notice of patterns during the heat of combat, forming a profile on an opponent’s strengths and weaknesses. Multiple Champions Improve Results.
    -[] Kuuhaku (⅕ Progress)
    -[] Yoru
    [ ] Something Else: You could come up with more ways to train your Champions, and try them out. (Write-In)
    -[] Kuuhaku
    -[] Yoru

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  11. Itme

Itme Know what you're doing yet?

one action per champion?

12. Royal_Sword13

Yes

13. NaanContributor

Grammar corrections:
    Does this mean we need to have both of them do this together to improve results, or is simply having multiple Champions present enough, and we can have Yoru do something else like Ranged Accuracy while Kuuhaku keeps working on this?

14. SpacePaladin

[X] Train Evasion: You can work to help your Champions improve their ability to evade attacks and dodge in combat, avoiding damage is always better than tanking it.
    -[X] Kuuhaku
    -[X] Yoru

15. Swedish15

Swedish15 Versed in the lewd.

[X] Train Evasion: You can work to help your Champions improve their ability to evade attacks and dodge in combat, avoiding damage is always better than tanking it.
    -[X] Kuuhaku
    -[X] Yoru

Not getting hit is one of the best defenses there is.

16. NaanContributor

Well if we’re going to put off the Analysis training now… The scene just makes more sense to me where, if one of them is practicing Evasion, then she’s doing it by dodging the attacks from the other practicing her Accuracy. And being able to attack properly with her throwing knives is an integral part of Yoru’s build anyway.

-[X] Kuuhaku

[X] Train Ranged Accuracy: Work to improve a Champion’s accuracy and skill with their weapon.
    -[X] Yoru

17. Royal_Sword13

Having them both do the action leads to better results.

18. SeerKing

[X] Train Ranged Accuracy: Work to improve a Champion’s accuracy and skill with their weapon.
    -[X] Yoru

[X] Train Analysis: You can teach your Champions how to observe and take notice of patterns during the heat of combat, forming a profile on an opponent’s strengths and weaknesses. Multiple Champions Improve Results.
    -[X] Kūhaku (⅕ Progress)

19. iamweirdo

-[X] Yoru

[X] Train Analysis: You can teach your Champions how to observe and take notice of patterns during the heat of combat, forming a profile on an opponent’s strengths and weaknesses. Multiple Champions Improve Results.
    -[X] Kūhaku (⅕ Progress)

20. Royal_Sword13

So, we have a tie.

Between Yoru doing accuracy training while Kuuhaku continues Analysis, and both of them doing Evasion training.

tie-breaker or coin flip?

21. SeerKing

Coin flip sounds good.

22. Royal_Sword13

Okay then.

1=Double Evasion
    2=Range & Analysis
    Royal_Sword13 rolled 1 die of 2 faces, total: 1
    For: Coin Flip
    Rolled on: June-21-2022, 10:15pm

23. Threadmarks: Day 3 Planning
    Royal_Sword13

-[X] Kuuhaku
    -[X] Yoru

You decided to put them both through some evasion training. What would they be dodging, a hypothetical audience might ask? Well that was easy to answer.

“DODGE!”

“AAAAH!!!”

They were trying to dodge you. You see, you had the power to fly, opening up many new avenues of attack, and that means you could dive bomb them from practically anywhere. The fact you were doing this at night and close to a beach away from the light pollution of the city also meant you were more camouflaged against the night sky, adding yet another hurdle for them to deal with over the course of their training.

While Kuuhaku had some combat experience from the combat analysis training, she was still green and more leaning on the natural combat instinct that came with being a Champion. Yoru meanwhile, total newbie that she was, had been quickly shown that being a Champion wasn’t going to be a walk in the park. They were also having to dodge each other’s attacks, and keep from crashing into each other while avoiding your charges and dive bombs along with other attacks. Being constantly on the move, having to be aware of the environment, focusing on multiple sources of attack, it was as taxing mentally as it was physically even with the general enhancement from being Champions.

Kuuhaku eventually started shifting into Void Form to use its enhanced mobility in short bursts, moving quickly while in the state to flow around the attacks she could detect and react to. Yoru would adopt a strategy of creating a cloud of darkness as she moved to dodge, throwing off your aim enough to enhance her chances to avoid the attacks. While not quite the intended method of improvement, you weren’t going to punish them for coming up with out of the box solutions.

You did switch it up, swinging with your paws while on land along with your dive attacks and charges, being silent with some attacks and loud with others. The louder ones proved to be the most effective, oddly enough, the sudden howling and yells disrupting their concentration enough to make an opening that was swiftly exploited.

After a few hours of this (with breaks!) you feel that some real progress was made.

“You…Are…EVIL…” Yoru said, panting and laid out on the ground with her ninja outfit roughed up and torn in places, her hood and face mask down as she tried to catch her breath. Kuuhaku was sitting down, breathing deeply as she cooled down.

“Oh trust me, there have been far harsher trainers in the past.” You informed her, now back in your ‘Cute’ mode as Yoru called it. “Once, a Mascot had an entire obstacle course set up in order to really get their champions into shape, one that would not be out of place in a military facility.” You had no idea how they managed that, and kind of wished you did. Having a proper place to train and spar would make things go soooo much smoother.

DC: 40/70

Kuuhaku: (84+5) 89
    Yoru: (38+5) 43

Kuuhaku & Yoru gain Evasion Proficiency, +5 when Dodging Attacks.

Kuuhaku gains progress to Evasion Expertise (⅓)

“That’s enough for tonight, Kuuhaku let’s drop our new friend off before heading home.” You said, with Kuuhaku nodding and opening a Void Door. After exchanging farewells and sending Yoru on her way, you and Kuuhaku went back to the apartment to rest up for the next day.

“A local pawn shop in Northwest Hoseki has been found to be devastated by what can only be described as horrific robbery gone wrong. The owner of the pawn shop, the 72 year old Mr. Takahashi was found badly injured and his livelihood ruined. Many items within the shop were found to be missing, such an antiquated European grandfather clock, a deck of tarot cards from the 15th century, an astrolabe from Greece, along with several instruments such as a tsuzumi drum, a koto, and a Biwa to name a few, in addition to jewelry that was taken, mostly rings. The perpetrators of this crime are unknown and still at large. Any information should be reported to…”

Well, that’s probably related to your mission. Seems like the Accursed and their Dregs didn’t know about the location of the Rings if they did something like this. Though maybe you could investigate and find out why they went after the place to begin with. Plus, you had a feeling in your gut that something else was going to happen today…

And you only had two Champions, both of whom hadn’t seen real combat outside of training. You needed more recruits, they needed to be trained, and more…

“What is the plan?” Kuuhaku asked you as she ate her breakfast.

Wasn’t that the important question?

Welcome to Day 3. You have a total of 3 Action Slots. Plan Format Required.

[ ] Patrol: Go out on patrol for Dregs, or even other supernatural problems. Chance to Encounter Dregs. Chance to Encounter ???
    -[ ] Northeast Hoseki
    -[ ] Southeast Hoseki
    -[ ] Southwest Hoseki
    -[ ] Northwest Hoseki
    -[ ] Agricultural Section
    -[ ] “Noble” Section
    -[ ] Golden Dragon Park

[ ] Scout Recruits: Search for Champion Candidates that you could potentially recruit. Chance to Encounter Candidates.
    -[ ] Northeast Hoseki
    -[ ] Southeast Hoseki
    -[ ] Southwest Hoseki
    -[ ] Northwest Hoseki
    -[ ] “Noble” Section
    -[ ] Golden Dragon Park

[ ] Recruitment Drive: Go after an Ember of Magic and try to Recruit the person it’s attached to towards the cause. Can select the same option multiple times.
    -[ ] Northeast Hoseki
    -[ ] Southeast Hoseki (4 Embers)
    -[ ] Southwest Hoseki
    -[ ] Northwest Hoseki
    -[ ] “Noble” Section

-[ ] Golden Dragon Park

[ ] Training: Help a Champion improve in some way.
    -[ ] Combat Training: Train a Champion to improve in Combat.
    -[ ] Mystic Training: Train a Champion to improve their Magic.

[ ] Investigation: This city and the island it was on is a little strange. Maybe you should investigate deeper.
    -[ ] Gold Dragon Statue: It sits at the center of a lake, which is in the center of a park in the center of the city. That it also sits exactly at the center of the island itself makes you wonder what the deal is.
    -[ ] Mystic Attraction: Something about this island has an attractive effect to anything with a magical and supernatural nature, at least that’s what you can sense. Looking deeper into what might be causing it might help you.
    -[ ] Pawn Shop Robbery: A Pawn Shop in the Northwest of the city was robbed while you were training Kuuhaku and Yoru, and it was likely to be related to the Ring business you were here to handle. But why did they attack this shop, and why take so much stuff?
    -[] Follow Up, Noble Neighborhood: Two rings detected here, should be easy to collect if you can get a lock on them.
    -[] Follow Up, Founder “Palaces”: With only one ring located in the area, you should be able to track it down and claim it quickly. Hopefully it’s not in a jewelry box or something…
    -[] Follow Up, Hoseki City: A fourth of the rings are all located in the city, but it’s a much bigger area to search through. You don’t know which sections of the city have a ring, so you should focus on that.

[ ] Raid: You know the location of several Rings, they were in sub-dimensional spaces that you would have to go into and retrieve them from.
    -[ ] Water Ring: The Deep stirs in its sleep, churning the waves above…
    -[ ] Earth Ring: The Land wakes and prepares to cast off its long held burden…
    -[ ] Plant Ring: Roots dig deep as the branches reach towards the boundless sky, seeking reunion…
    -[ ] Animal Ring: The cries of beasts resound as a choir of cacophonous songs, asking to be made whole…

[ ] Something Else: Sometimes, there are options that aren’t obvious at first. (Write-In).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  24. NaanContributor

Huh, what happened to all the Embers we sensed in the rest of the island areas?

Also, what about those further actions we were supposed to have unlocked for locating a bunch of the Agricultural area Rings?

25. Royal_Sword13

Did I forget to put a strike through for a previous day? That might have caused some confusion.

The only Embers you know the definitive location of are the ones in Southeast Hoseki.

Once you Scout a Section, you’ll know how many Embers are in it and can start Recruiting from that section.

As for the little dungeon-like areas… I seem to have accidentally left those out. Let me fix that.

26. NaanContributor

Well since I’d prefer to have at least one more team member plus some real combat experience under our belts before tackling a “dungeon”.

[X] Plan Plot Hook Follow Up
    -[X] Recruitment Drive: Go after an Ember of Magic and try to Recruit the person it’s attached to towards the cause. Can select the same option multiple times.
    --[X] Southeast Hoseki (4 Embers)

-[X] Patrol: Go out on patrol for Dregs, or even other supernatural problems. Chance to Encounter Dregs. Chance to Encounter ???
    --[X] Northwest Hoseki

-[X] Investigation: This city and the island it was on is a little strange. Maybe you should investigate deeper.
    --[X] Pawn Shop Robbery: A Pawn Shop in the Northwest of the city was robbed while you were training Kuuhaku and Yoru, and it was likely to be related to the Ring business you were here to handle. But why did they attack this shop, and why take so much stuff?

27. Royal_Sword13

I have fixed the missing Raid actions.

28. SpacePaladin

29. SeerKing

30. iamweirdo