• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Gods, that Injustice League panel sure threw me back. That's the storyline where they use their rings to switch bodies with the JLA, discover their identities and Hal has to hit them with a supercharged Central Power Battery laser to reverse it, right?

Paul showcasing his abilities to Jordan and demonstrating once again how much difference there is between both of them
-Big boxing gloves? I prefer Railgun with methamaterial amunition

- Nono! Constructs dont need to come from the ring!

21st November 2012
10:22 GMT -5

"You're going to what?"

It's interesting to see someone other than Guy whose ring shimmers like that. Guy's ring actually stopped doing it after he merged with Ion; these days it sort of iridesces but not in the same way.
If I remember Hal's thoughts from 'Green Lantern: Rebirth', it's because Guy can't wait to take action. His sheer drive and determination to do good makes the energy spark and crackle even at rest. If this Jordan has been as frustrated by Earth as it seems, I'm not surprised he's eager.

Commander Scott's posture doesn't change as the much younger Sector Lantern squares up to him. No defensive arm crossing, no clenching of hands into fists and no twitching to betray nerves. I don't know how good this Jordan is; our Jordan wasn't at anything like my current level when we first met, and that's with him dealing with Earth-brand madness for most of his career. He's perfectly capable now, if not quite as good as Guy or me, but this Jordan hasn't had that.
Ah, the posture of the old, confident warhorse who knows he doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. Much less the patsy of the alien Guardians, who's pretty much a traitor to Earth's sovereignty...

"We're going to retaliate against the Dominion. And I've made it perfectly clear that if your Lantern Corps couldn't stop them coming here then you've got no grounds for stopping us."

"That's not how it works. Two wrongs-."
...Don't make a right? Trying to convince the wrong people of that, Jordan.

"Enslaving people is wrong. Killing mass-murdering slavers is right."

Jordan takes a breath to calm down, taking a look at Alan and I as he does so.
Ah, this will be interesting, to see his reaction to other Lanterns of unknown colours.

"And what, you dusted off the old Injustice League power rings? I didn't think you still had those. Is he supposed to be Catwoman or Chronos?"

"I'm the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, parallel univer sixteen. My ring was made by Maltus-resident Controller Hinon Hee Hannanan." I raise my left hand slightly. "This one, anyway. This-" I raise my ring hand to show off Larfleeze's ring. "-one was made by a group effort back when the maltusians were experimenting with power ring technology. I think it was mostly Krona."
Of course, that may not be true around here. And I doubt the Guardians would confirm it if it was.

Commander Scott flashes me a mild frown.

"'Illustres'?"
Well, the Maltusian-equivalent term. Translation convention and all that.

"When Green Lanterns are first recruited, they go to Oa for training. Once they graduate, they return to their Sectors as Sector Lanterns. If they serve well they may eventually be considered for promotion to the Honour Guard, an elite group of Lanterns based on Oa who serve as a high powered strike force. The leader or leaders of the Honour Guard have the title 'Illustres', and are probably the most powerful combat Lanterns in the Corps. Above them is the Clarissi, who runs the Corps day to day." I raise my eyebrows at Jordan. "I assume that the Green Lantern Corps in this parallel uses the same system?"

He nods, frowning. "You think you're that good?"
Bitch, he formed his Corps, he gets whatever title he wants.

"I've destroyed war fleets, taken on multiple Reach scarabs in combat and I once span the moon around on its axis. So yes, I do think I'm that good."

A quiet exhalation through his nose, then he turns to Alan. "And, what, you're the Illustres of the 'Blue Lantern Corps'?"
...Not yet. But if they ever manage to convince Kalmin or certain Guardians to make more Blue Rings...

"No, I'm the only guy with a blue ring, far as I know." Jordan narrows his eyes as he hears Alan talk. "Paul had to talk a Qwardian Weaponer into making it."

"You're-. Him, from a parallel universe? Oh great. And you got that ring from a Weaponer?"
A rebel Weaponer. Technically.

"Same one as made Sinestro's ring, in point of fact. Apparently, turning something as uplifting as hope into a weapon is something he feels proud of."

"Figures." He returns his attention to Commander Scott. "So why am I here?"
Jordan's probably figuring Earth 16 is an evil-dominant universe, isn't he? He's the sort of fellow to have such a monochromatic view of things.

"For one, there's a chance that the Dominion might spot what we're doing and send a fleet to Earth. If that happens, our forces will be ready, but it would help to have someone around who can fit targets in orbit."

"Just to protect Earth?"
Well, we can assume Mars is dead, and any of the other inhabited planets and moons of the system can take care of themselves...

"If that's all you're prepared to do, yes. I'd prefer it if you and whatever Lantern is supposed to be dealing with the Dominion joined in with the attack. Orange Lantern and Blue Lantern are transporting our strike teams, and having you along would increase our carry capacity. In return-"

"This better be good."
Bah, as if he'd be able to manage it. The Green Ring probably only allows for passengers at FTL when transporting prisoners or refugees...

"-I can offer you a cooperation agreement. You'll be able to come to Earth in costume in pursuit of alien criminals. We'll expect you to work with us, because you are working for an alien government, but we will extend you the same cooperation an Earth police force would an officer from another country in hot pursuit of a criminal."

"That's less cooperation than I get from every other planet in this Sector."
Yes, well, your homeworld has seen some shit. Why are you not surprised that they're a little gunshy of extra-terrestrials?

"It's all you'll get from us."

"You'd still take them into custody and expect me to apply to extradite them."
To be fair, I'm amazed the Guardians haven't simply declared Earth a minimum-protection planet. No Lanterns allowed. Like Korugar after Sinestro.

"Yes."

"Could I just visit Earth?"
What's the matter, other species not up for a booty call, fly-boy? :p

"As long as you understand that you don't have any official standing or status outside of our agreement, and keep us informed of your movements, yes." A very small and unfriendly smile appears on Commander Scott's mouth. "Missing Carol that much, Jordan?"

Jordan looks away for a moment, but-. Ring, access-. No, don't, they haven't given me permission and I shouldn't take advantage. Neither Commander Scott or Interceptor have facial coverings, and most of the superheroes in the meeting had bare faces as well. Do secret identities just not exist here?
I know, it's a liberating concept, isn't it?

"Fine. There's no Lantern assigned to the Dominion, but I can fly there and back. I should make sure that you people don't go crazy when you get there."

"I've already given orders to focus on military targets. Don't you need to check this with your masters on Oa?"
I hope they're not drinking anything when they see his report on this mission, at least. Though the details may make them want to start...

"No, this is something I can decide for myself. The Guardians don't micromanage Lanterns. Most Green Lanterns hand over their prisoners to the local authorities once they've defeated them."

"Which completely undermines their authority."
Better than locking them up billions of lightyears from home in 'Sciencells' for rehabilitation.

Yeah, it does. I'm sure that I've-.

Jordan stares at me. "Something you want to day, 'Illustres'?"
Sir Integra Wingates Fairbrook Hellsing: "Good lord, it's strange to see this from the outside..."

"It's just that I've had this discussion back home. Seeing the Justice Society International implement one of my suggested solutions is.. fascinating for me. I really-" I turn to Commander Scott. "-want to have a look at your SOP bible once we're done."

He smiles faintly. "That's gotta be the first time anyone's ever said that."
I mean, with a little adjustment, it may well work for a JLU-style support organisation.

"Wait." Jordan narrows his eyes. "You wanna start something like this in your reality?"

"I want to use the example the JSI has set to advise the League on how to expand. At the moment they're not.. very organised. Extremely capable as individuals, but there's no real philosophy on what the organisation is supposed to be in its… Final form. It impedes their effectiveness."
And that's being nice about it.

Alan snorts. "If that's how you feel, you could always try joining up."

"I suspect that I'd get outvoted and just make myself part of the problem. But if the League sees someone actually do what I've been talking about, that might change things. Anyway, Jordan, do you want to come with us when we do our reconnaissance flight, or do you want to wait here?"
Hmm... A chance to reform the Justice Society properly, perhaps?

"I think I'd better come with you."

"Alright." I raise my right hand to my forehead. "Try to keep up."
I wonder what they call a 'disappearing while someone's not looking' in this universe. No Batman, after all.

Oh, boy, is Jordan going to be in for a lesson in ring-slinging. I did enjoy the simple way OL described his achievements, though. No boasting, no pridefulness, just facts. Though I suspect whatever Guardian ends up reading Jordan's report while have a momentary panic attack when he sees the names OL dropped. Now, the biggest question becomes what will OL and the other recon party members find when they arrive?

So, the solution is to actually talk to him, and ask for help. Communicate and be proactive. Guess what many comicbook supers are bad at?

(I mean, they've done that on occasion, but apparently not often enough, even after he repeatedly showed how bad an idea it is to just leave him to his own devices all the time - e.g. the recent incident that started with Paul finding out that Zeus had been unusually assholish to Diana, eventually resulting in Hephestean. There was a cool scene in there that I've forgotten which posts it's in where Paul reminds a couple of people on the JL how dangerous he is and that they really do need to talk to him ASAP.)
OK, it's been long enough that I'm quoting this instead of editing it. The episode is called Coup Data, and the scene I was referring to is in this post and the one following.

Why does the Green Lantern SOP undermine local authorities? I honestly don't get why Paul is so hostile to them.

I mean, they aren't talking about pocket thieves here, but frequently beings powerful enough to sterilise worlds.

Gods, that Injustice League panel sure threw me back. That's the storyline where they use their rings to switch bodies with the JLA, discover their identities and Hal has to hit them with a supercharged Central Power Battery laser to reverse it, right?

No, I think you are thinking of silver age, where Robby Reed has to fight the bodyswitched villains.

That panel was from Silver Age 80 page giant, in which the villains steal a kryptonian crystal, the central power battery, and the absorbascan, make themselves lanterns who know every tactic, power, and ability of the heroes, making them undefeatable until the JLA borrowed the hero dial and became new heroes with different powers and abilities and hence tactics.

Dr Light was the orange lantern in that group, by the by.

I imagine Paul was glad to not be compared to him.

What with Dr Light being a rapist who got himself brainfucked by the League so badly that he went on to lose to a couple of kids.

It wasn't a fair fight, one of the kids had a baseball bat and wasn't afraid to use it.

I wanna read that comic.

SOP bible? What's that?

Standard Operating Procedure. In short he wants to go the League and say "Guys, here are some ideas that were shown to work in another universe."

And that panel was from Silver Age 80-page giant, as mentioned above.

If I remember Hal's thoughts from 'Green Lantern: Rebirth', it's because Guy can't wait to take action. His sheer drive and determination to do good makes the energy spark and crackle even at rest. If this Jordan has been as frustrated by Earth as it seems, I'm not surprised he's eager.
In this story the Ophidian SI was pretty confident that it comes from Guy suppressing his desire for action and forcing himself to stop.
Dr Light was the orange lantern in that group, by the by.

I imagine Paul was glad to not be compared to him.
While it's difficult to tell from the picture since Dr. Light wears white gloves and none of the hands shown in the lower image have white gloves, I think that the green ring on the left is supposed to he Dr. Light's.

Why does the Green Lantern SOP undermine local authorities? I honestly don't get why Paul is so hostile to them.

I think it's more that it undermines the Green Lantern's authority: there's nothing stopping a world's local authorities from freeing someone a Lantern has seen commit a severe crime, whether intentionally or in the Put Joker In Prison sense, as an example.

There's reasons to make that tradeoff, just as there's reasons that the Green Lanterns are supposed to focus on interplanetary concerns, but Paul's nature emphasizes control, even if he doesn't see the parallels with Hinon yet.

I mean, they aren't talking about pocket thieves here, but frequently beings powerful enough to sterilise worlds.

I'm assuming it's because the local authorities appear to rely on foreign aid in order to deal with their problems and that puts their strength and competence into question.

I think it's more that it undermines the Green Lantern's authority: there's nothing stopping a world's local authorities from freeing someone a Lantern has seen commit a severe crime, whether intentionally or in the Put Joker In Prison sense, as an example

Paul did once mention something like this when he said that Green Lanterns could sometimes imprison people themselves instead of giving them to another authority since they think they could either be punished too severely or not punished all that much.

In this story the Ophidian SI was pretty confident that it comes from Guy suppressing his desire for action and forcing himself to stop.

While it's difficult to tell from the picture since Dr. Light wears white gloves and none of the hands shown in the lower image have white gloves, I think that the green ring on the left is supposed to he Dr. Light's.

Later panels definitely show that Element had a red ring, and Chronos and Light both had orange rings. I failed to notice that Chronos had an orange ring the first time I read it.

There was no villain shown to have a green ring other than Faust outside of that one panel, and they are all accounted for other than Black Manta's, who is definitely wielding a red or orange ring in that one panel.

So editing seemed to have fallen down on the job on that issue.

A rebel Weaponer. Technically.

Kalmin is actually pretty good at following what Weaponers do.

The rest of his society had a momentary slip up on that though.

Jordan's probably figuring Earth 16 is an evil-dominant universe, isn't he? He's the sort of fellow to have such a monochromatic view of things.

To be fair, if you had had a conversation with Paul, wouldn't you think that there's something wonky going on in that universe?

To be fair, I'm amazed the Guardians haven't simply declared Earth a minimum-protection planet. No Lanterns allowed. Like Korugar after Sinestro.

Maybe they didn't do that with this universes version of Korugar.

Also the Korugar situation was them responding to their negligence in managing their own forces by giving the Korugarans more freedom from them, but this Earth did not suffer such a situation so the Guardians may not see it as necessary to do the same thing.

. Though I suspect whatever Guardian ends up reading Jordan's report while have a momentary panic attack when he sees the names OL dropped

Not necessarily.

There don't seem to be any Orange Lanterns in thise universe, so the Guardians may not have much practical knowledge on the dangers of one of them, just academic ones because of their study of the Spectrum.

Not necessarily.

There don't seem to be any Orange Lanterns in thise universe, so the Guardians may not have much practical knowledge on the dangers of one of them, just academic ones because of their study of the Spectrum.
'Orange Lantern' may not ring the alarm bells.

But 'Hinon Hee Hannanan' very well might.

And 'Krona' will light off panic signals visible from the next galaxy over.

Always good to see Paul put someone in their place. But poor Hal: getting a ring meant not being able to go home, it's like the Reach had expressed interest in Earth without the hope that the Reach could be kicked off.

No wonder he loves Jade so much. Competency is his kink.

...I mean. Canon Jade doesn't seem to have the highest success rate.

Always good to see Paul put someone in their place. But poor Hal: getting a ring meant not being able to go home, it's like the Reach had expressed interest in Earth without the hope that the Reach could be kicked off

Not necessarily.

This Earth seems to be fairly xenophobic, so they may deny the Reach an invitation.

Granted, the Reach has probably figured out ways to manipulate highly xenophobic societies, so they may be able to do the same with this Earth.

Not necessarily.

This Earth seems to be fairly xenophobic, so they may deny the Reach an invitation.

Granted, the Reach has probably figured out ways to manipulate highly xenophobic societies, so they may be able to do the same with this Earth.

The JSI also does propaganda work, so the Reach would face a media machine actively resisting them instead of the Light's anti-hero campaigning.

Not saying the Reach couldn't win such a battle, but they'd actually have to work for it on JSI earth.

- Nono! Constructs dont need to come from the ring!
They do, though. OL's trick is that he uses very thin construct lines to connect to the actual thing he's making. He's even observed that while this does help with making his tactics harder to see coming, it's more susceptible to construct disruption. This is usually the right choice for most opponents, though.

They do, though. OL's trick is that he uses very thin construct lines to connect to the actual thing he's making. He's even observed that while this does help with making his tactics harder to see coming, it's more susceptible to construct disruption. This is usually the right choice for most opponents, though.

But the construct lines don't need to be directly attached to his ring, do they? Or am I misremembering? I thought the subtle filaments just needed to be connected to his environmental shield? That's how he sends lines through the ground, generating the filaments from his feet and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back