1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Back here

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Both would be correct.
    'Rule by military veterans' is a form of oligarchy.
    I was wondering about that.
    I don't remember telling you that.
    Gods damn it, past me.

3. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Huh. All these years I thought that oligarchy was rule by the wealthy, and only now have I actually bothered to look up the definition.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  4. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, 'rule by the wealthy' is plutocracy (though you were right that it's a form of oligarchy). IIRC, the philosopher who named them considered oligarchy the corrupt form of aristocracy, as well as naming ochlocracy as the corrupt form of a democracy (while still technically being a democracy, as opposed to when it becomes another form of government, such as the various times post-revolutionary France became monarchies or dictatorships).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I went through like six redrafts of my response just in case for this reason as well.

6. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    10:47 GMT

"YRAAGYH!"

I collapse, steam rising from-. No, that's carbonised flesh.

That's carbonised flesh that isn't repairing itself as quickly as it should.

"Was that necessary?"

Jade interposes herself, but she really shouldn't. Kalmin would think for a moment before killing me. He doesn't owe Jade a thing.

"It was insulting. I have already told him my price for forging a new yellow power ring. Sinestro's head!"

I bypass the healing-impairment by tearing off the damaged flesh, which is… Quite a lot, actually.

"A simple 'no' would have sufficed, Lantern Kalmin."

"This is more memorable. And no, there is nothing that you could offer me in its place. And if there were, the very fact that I have stated my requirement would prohibit it."

I nod, sidestepping so that I have a direct line of sight around Jade. "Nifty weapon. What do you call it?"

"This?" He taps a small amulet on his armour. "The scourer. It bypasses defences well but has no real penetration."

"A low lethality weapon? Was that an insult?"

"Yes."

"Okay. How are your students doing?"

Kalmin glowers. "Was that a threat?"

"No. I just thought that while I'm here I might as well get an update."

"Oh." He sounds mildly put out.

"Problem?"

"They are competent enough engineers and physicists, but I fear that the lack of mortal peril might take the edge off their mental sharpness. There's more to being a Weaponer than just making weapons."

"My homeworld has been Anti-Lifed. If you want to send them our way, I'm sure that we'll find ways to try to kill them that even you have scarcely envisioned."

"Bah. Anti-Life." He turns back to his forge. "Philosophical destruction does not interest me."

"Do you mind if I make the offer to them?"

"No. If the fools take you up on your offer, that's for them to survive."

"Okay. Well, unless there's anything else-" I glance at Jade, but she shakes her helmet. "-we'll leave you to it."

"Can I expect Sinestro's head, or was this just a waste of my time?

"We'll see. I need a yellow power ring, and there are only so many options."

I motion towards the door with my head and Jade takes the hint, heading that way while I keep Kalmin in full view-. I think he just smiled. Once she's out I follow her, trusting her to keep an eye on him.

I twitch as the outer door slams shut. Ow.

"Are you alright? That looked like it hurt."

"Yes, it did. But pain is transitory. It was more the surprise than anything else."

"Should you have left tissue samples in his workshop?"

"I doubt that it will matter. So, next option."

"You said that when you were at Vanishing Point, at least one other version of you had a yellow power ring."

"Right, and he was enlightened too. He'd be perfect if I had the slightest idea how to contact him." I shake my head. "If I could contact any of them. The Yellow, Indigo and Red Lanterns would complete the group."

"Evil Alan Scott?"

"It's possible, only I don't really want to risk owing him or giving him ideas about the Anti-Life. And… I don't know if he's got the skill, and I don't trust him."

"It's still worth asking him."

I exhale slowly.

"Yes. It is. But that still leaves red and indigo. I met an Indigo Lantern a year and a half ago, but he legged it after I freed him from captivity. And red…"

"We can't be that short on angry, hate-filled people."

"No, but we need angry, hate-filled people who are angry and hate-filled about things that we hate and get angry about. People who retain control of their faculties when they're angry."

I checked, and Ysmault is in a very clearly marked no-go area. Even Guy wouldn't tell me exactly who's being kept there, but if events line up with my expectations it's all five of the Five Inversions. Attacking a Guardian facility with the express intent of giving an inmate a novel power ring is… Even more of a last resort thing than asking Al Scott for help.

Who do I know who's heroic and angry enough to use a red ring?

Ah

Yes..?

Scott Free is back in contact with his father, and if we have an actual plan then I.. think Orion would probably be willing to go along with it. We'd still need to actually get a red power ring, and those don't exist here yet. At least I don't have to explain how I know about them.

"I know a few people who might be able to do that."

"People on Earth?"

"Most of them. Do you have someone in mind?"

"Orion of New Genesis. Given all the New God-related stuff we've got going on, we've got a good reason to visit them. But first we'd need a red ring."

"Can the Controllers make one?"

"Controllers, no. Unaligned Maltusians, maybe. We'll have to ask Hinon if she can recommend anyone."

"What about the Qwardians?"

"I've never heard of them researching red rings, and… Kalmin said that he murdered a world to make Sinestro's ring. I don't… Really want to encourage them to do the same for someone else."

"He needed to kill a world to make Sinestro's ring?"

"Yes. Ah, that's what he said, and I doubt that he'd lie about it. It's not like it would have been something a Weaponer would have to hide."

"Which world?"

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  7. B00ki5h

B00ki5h Verified: Oddball, Lurker, and Dabbler

That is a dam fine question

8. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

It's too recent to be krypton.

Didn't a planet in the vega cluster go missing semi-recently?

9. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

moral -> mortal
    we at -> we were at

Mr Zoat, Bud-E and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Do he met Kalmin.

To be fair, Paul can be pretty stubborn, so a more physical demonstration of an answer would stick more.

Yep.

Well if he considers them a threat then that means that Kalmin has been doing something right to make them into one, so Paul threatening them is an acknowledgement of Kalmin's skill as a teacher.

You're more of a hands-on type of guy.

I'm betting he already has somehow gotten his hands on his tissue before this.

Now I can't wait for the future episode in which it will matter.

I mean, you can just take it from him or kill him and give it to Batman.

A chance to screw over his bio dad?

In the words of Kite Man, hell yeah!

11. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

... Okay I'm confused, up until now Paul has been avoiding sinestro because he doesn't want to fight a pointless battle, and Sinestro is legitimately a big damned deal.

Why is this not enough to change that equation?

Clarvel and Xmaster3000 like this.
  12. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Wasn't that conversation (where Sinestro's head was listed as the price) about Kalmin making another Blue Ring, with the extra caveat that Paul would have to find another source of Hope strong enough to act as the emotional fuel? Easy to extrapolate that out to any colored ring, but I was expecting Paul to be pedantic about it.

kerleth, Signaller, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The SI hasn't been avoiding Sinestro. It's true that he hasn't spent time seeking him out, but that's because he doesn't know if it's worthwhile.

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Okay, not laughing. But still very much not the response OL was hoping for. I suppose he can take it as a point in his favour that Kalmin didn't kill him outright. Not that it looks like that didn't hurt. :p

Huh. Might be a useful weapon for... Something?

...I thought that was for a Blue Ring? Or are you just charging heads for any colour in general?

...Goddamn, OL. That sounds nasty. :confused:

Welp. He's going to obstinate about it, I guess...

To be fair, he knows you are very hard to keep dead. And didn't want to burn all his goodwill with NEMO...

Heh. Of course OL is going to be 'Okay.' about being fried alive.

I mean, Kalmin doesn't exactly do 'friendly visits', so of course he'd misunderstand...

You haven't gotten them all killed, have you?

Hah. Throw them at the galaxy's peninsula of power levelling... Truly, sink or swim.

Well, good to have that question answered.

Heh, coming in fully-armoured. Probably a good idea.

Sadly, I don't think the Guardians will be willing to play those games. So... Maltusians.

Probably amused at the foolishness of affection.

I mean, it sounds like it hurt like a paper cut... :eek: Dunked in salty lemon juice.

Kalmin's not really one for biological solutions, after all.

Best to leave reality-hopping for the most extreme scenarios, OL. That sort of thing always leads to trouble.

After all, 'Cui Bono?'... I can imagine him picking up some vicious ideas in that case...

...Yeah, she's pretty much got a point. I doubt Sinestro's going to care.

Hate-filled and angry is easy. It's what they're angry about that matters.

Yeah, that would be a case of not just burning any bridges with the greenies, but dumping FOOF on them...

Oh, boy... Another attempt to contact New Genesis...

Given that Hinon knows your origins, and you have the excuse of 'I met alternates with various colours', yeah.

A little more problematic, but manageable...

Yeah, this whole thing is kind of predicated on acquiring or manufacturing at least one.

Oh, that's going to be a treat... Why am I suddenly picturing someone like a Maltusian Kratos?

And that's not a joke, either. I can't imagine what killing a planet with Rage would look like...

...True, there are a few worlds that would deserve that fate...

All right, then. Kalmin approached, and OL soundly rebuffed. Getting a full set of Rings is going to be annoying, isn't it? I shudder to imagine the reaction if he manages to track down an Indigo Tribesman and asks them for assistance. On the upside, making Red Rings is going to allow OL and company a lot more say in their mechanics. Hopefully less napalm-frothing berserker and more Razer...

15. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Also, this Jade was never at Vanishing Point. OL even thinks to himself that if she was there, she never made herself known at the time and he didn't see her.

16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well I have to say Paul's go to for "angry but can control it" being Orion is funny.

In the comics one of his motherbox's duties is basically keeping him on Prosac to stop him from going into homicidal rages.

So that's pretty much like vouching for Bruce Banner's anger management skills.

Not that there is any evidence that is the case in YJ, but it's still funny.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    kerleth, Vorian, Cuchulin and 13 others like this.
  17. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

At the very least, it appears to be true in the Renegade timeline. Or at least Renegade used that fact to taunt the Forever People. Then the actual meeting between Orion and Renegade.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Wetbananas and 4 others like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

As long as it has some destructive properties then Kalmin may be skilled in it.
    Maybe in her time with the Citizenry Jade found some kind of world that they inhabit.

Xmaster3000 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was confirmed as true in canon.

When the Team, the League and some Green Lanterns visited New Genesis, Orion lost control of himself and was only calmed down by a Mother Box.

20. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Seems like Jade realized that if the slain world had even one survivor, they'd have a red ring candidate who'd be happy to collect Sinestro's head.

21. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

While true, that's the "post revival" seasons that Zoat is rather pointedly not using.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It was in the comic as well. See the picture linked.

Vorian, mastermenthe, BR549 and 6 others like this.
  23. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

That only makes sense if she had said "what happens to people's souls after they get eaten" or something along those lines. Since she separates "the souls" from "the people" the phrasing makes it pretty clear that she is talking about two different things. And she clearly asks about what happens to souls and she also clearly mentions people getting eaten.

I guess one could quibble whether the souls are the people and whether that means that the people weren't eaten if their souls can still go anywhere, but that doesn't seem to fit cleanly either.

kerleth, Vorian, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  24. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

There is absolutely evidence of it being true in YJ, however it was Season 4 which Zoat hadn't seen last time someone asked.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point.

I was wondering why Jade was interested in which world it was, but if there are any survivors then they may potentially be a candidate for a red ring.

Xmaster3000 and moralrelativity like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Not really. While it would be perfectly understandable if they were angry and hate-filled, Kalmin killed their world with fear. If there were any survivors, there wouldn't be much else in their minds.

27. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

While that's where my thoughts went first, I imagine they would want revenge on Kalmin for making the yellow ring rather the Sinestro for ordering it.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Fear inducing super weapon to make the populace produce enough raw fear to forge a yellow ring and a yellow lantern without having a yellow light fountain that can tap into the universal yellow light?

I guess Kalmin had to make the entire planet to feel fear in order to brute force a strong enough connection to the plane of fear to make the lantern and the ring.

I guess Paul is too orange to do the same even if he mechanically knows how to do it and the controllers have also become too orange to connect to it, the other maltusians could easily learn to do it, but would likely end up permanently connected to the yellow light or in a coma as granny did.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Has LePaul forgotten that you can't make Red Rings the same way you do others?

30. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, but you have forgotten there is no such rule.

In Lost Army, the Lightsmiths' beams changed the colors of several lanterns, including turning several green lanterns into red lanterns, the Lightsmiths' tech also converted Guy's red ring into a green ring.

Similarly during the Blackest Night event Superboy Prime's rage turned the black ring he was wearing momentarily into a red power ring, along with all the other colors, before the black lantern ring was destroyed by the experience.

So power ring + red light of rage = red power ring. DC treats the rings as interchangeable.

Atrocitus created the red rings with magic because he's a shaman, not because its impossible to create a red power ring with technology.

kerleth, Vorian, Chaoswind and 7 others like this.