1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, wyrds are untrained psykers of any power level. Most would probably be in the Iota plus range as others just aren't strong enough to routinely produce overt results.
    When Britain privatised its rail network and seperated the company running the tracks from the companies running the trains, it worked for a while because the old hands just ignored company directives and kept cooperating across company lines. Then they retired, and it all fell apart.
    Thank you, corrected.

kerleth, Vorian, Cuchulin and 12 others like this.
  2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘manifest psychic’
    ’but if’
    IIRC, as they get older navigators get more mutated. I remember a novel where a Space Marine has a momentary crisis of faith because he realises that he’s fighting to protect horrible mutants, but then he realised that the mutants are sanctioned by the Emperor so they can’t be that bad.

3. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

And so Paul becomes the reason the Tau start implementing "Brainwashing for The Greater Good" in earnest when it comes to humanity, due to their power of collective belief.

kerleth and Senevri like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, they were doing that anyway. Just not as well as, say, the Imperium.

Vorian, Prince Charon, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  5. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Sorry if this has been answered, but how does the Astronomicon's existence contribute to any major world other than Terra signalling Tyranids?

Is he talking about only Terra?
    Or is this a thing about how the astronomicon is more detectable in certain regions of the galaxy or certain distances from Terra(closer is better), so humans tend to settle in those regions in response to fewer warp accidents, and Tyranids tend to prefer to move to a region where the astronomicon is more detectable ?because the psykic background signal is stronger?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  6. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Astronomican can be detected even outside the galaxy, so tyranid fleets that might have either bypassed us or come later are arriving faster, and when they do they’ll detect all the inhabited worlds they encounter. Since humans are all over the place that means they’ll hit more human worlds, plus the fact that the tau have weaker souls means the tyranid won’t prioritize them as much

7. Mr Zoat

That doesn't help, though astropath choirs are probably a bigger problem.

8. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Sooo.... MrZoat saw the latest smurfycat movie, and P'ol is going to make a title drop?

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

, instead of ;

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

What?
    Thank you, corrected.

11. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think they mean the latest Avatar movie. I've seen it, and while it has some cool bits, the plot is as stupid and contrived as the first one.

mastermenthe and Xmaster3000 like this.
  12. Threadmarks: Xenopsychology (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

6 568 938.M41

Thick orange cables attach the ring to the Eugenics Board's central server as I absorb everything the tau know about their own biology. It's nice that they don't consider me to be a security risk, though the somewhat unsteady Maka'm did check that I was authorised for secure data.

"That cannot be right."

She hasn't got less unsteady.

"Fio'el Maka'm, I was born thirty eight thousand years ago. I assure you that filing a protest against reality only serves to prevent you learning to deal with it as it actually is."

"But that is exactly the point. If you are correct, then there is no reality. It is a shared hallucination made real."

"No." Tsua'm shakes her head. "That would be to say that when you are on a boat on the ocean during a storm, land stops existing when you lose your bearings."

I nod. "Or perhaps… The difference between air pressure at sea level and air pressure at the top of a mountain. It's… Funny, because there are a small percentage of humans who enforce reality on the area around them. Do you want to know what their power classification is called?"

"Yes."

"Tau."

"That is the Imperium's assessment of our power level?"

"No, it's a pure coincidence that the words sound similar. They think it's the level most of the tau species is at, but… There's a Fire Caste chap on my team who is definitely higher than that. Maybe as high as Rho."

"And Rho is..?"

"An unusually unpsychic human. Someone who might be completely unaware of psychic phenomena." My construct cables retract theatrically. "Thank you. It's going to take months at the very least before I'll be able to best-fit human genes with their tau equivalents, but I'll send you whatever I learn."

"Hybridisation is quite impossible."

I don't say 'you kinky minx', because I don't think she'd get the joke.

"No, I-." / "Work placement."

Maka'm does a nasal twitch. Confusion, I think. I incline my head slightly towards Tsua'm to indicate that she should continue.

"I was curious as to whether it would be practical to assess the suitability of particular humans to particular types of occupation using their genes. It would simplify vocational training on fully incorporated human worlds."

"Do you think it would be possible to make human castes?"

"Perhaps, but that is for other people to decide. I can only make recommendations based on what Orange Lantern discovers."

I shake my head. "Probably not a good idea. That's the sort of thing that worlds that are culturally Imperial would take strong exception to."

"I doubt that they would concern themselves if we limited our initial efforts to small scale studies."

"Have you ever heard of the Plague of Unbelief?" I fabricate a small data pad loaded with pertinent data and offer it to her. "I suggest reading about what Dolan Chirosius managed to spur people into doing against Cardinal Bucharis."

She takes it from me. "I will study it and reflect upon its lessons."

"Short version: properly roused, every single human on a planet may turn out to be perfectly willing to throw themselves at you and every other tau and gue'vesa, no matter how compliant they'd been before or how they had benefited practically from their inclusion in the Empire."

"That is extremely irrational."

"No. It's extremely rational. The Tau Empire is an exception in the way it treats conquered populations. Orks and Dark Eldar and tyranids are the rule. Enslavement, torture, murder and consumption; that's what surrender gets you. The ability of a population to say 'yes, we're doomed, time to see how many we can take with us' is actually useful on a species wide scale. It denies the enemy resources. That fact that it's maladaptive in a tiny proportion of cases doesn't make it irrational."

"I… See."

Tsua'm steps forward, her body posture relaxes and open. "If I may ask an unrelated question?"

"Y-es?"

"I have not requested a pairing, but I am curious as to whether I am reaching the point where it will be considered appropriate for me to breed. Would it be acceptable for you to check for me?"

Maka'm presses a few buttons on a computer console. "Yes. Yes, you are authorised for that information. Due to the nature of your work, it has been judged that it is best not to assign you for breeding at this time."

"Is that unusual?"

"No, it is fairly common in relation to work in highly secure areas. Of course, that does not impact the chance of approval or rejection to any pairings you arrange for yourself. Those go through the same approval process as normal."

"Thank you. Then unless there is anything else you wish to hear from us, we will leave."

"Will you be on T'au for long?"

"That is up to the T'au Aun'ar'tol, but-" Maka'm responds with an expression of shock. "-it is likely that we will be on T'au for a kai'rotaa at least."

I nod. "I'm hoping that we'll have time to see Fio'taun, and maybe some of the pre-unification water tribe settlements."

"Then if there are any matters arising from this meeting, I will be able to send a message to you. I should consider what I have learned carefully before formulating policy."

I try to take a look-. Ah. I fabricate a bottle of fermented nectar and offer it to her. She takes the bottle, opens the cap and sniffs it, her nasal cleft spasming as the scent hits.

"Ah. Thank you."

"You're not the first tau I've culture-shocked." Right. I walk over to Tsua'm, bend and pick her up in a bridal carry. That prompts Maka'm to stare in shock again, though Tsua'm's expression is more one of surprise. Now, send a flight plan to air traffic control and transition.

Tsua'm eyes open wide as our surroundings vanish, being placed by the open skies over the ancestral home of the Fire Caste, and the ring translates her scent as an expression of fear.

"You're safe, Tsua'm. Perfectly safe."

"Everything that I have read about teleportation tells me that you are wrong."

"Oh, that wasn't teleportation. Teleportation involves travelling though the warp. If that happened to you… You probably wouldn't experience anything, due to your minimal warp presence. My method involves travelling between places in the material universe, and it's far safer. Here."

I create a platform and gently set her down.

"See? Perfectly safe."

She taps her right hoof against the platform a couple of times, her hands still on my shoulders.

"Yes. Did you get the data that you need?"

"Is it that urgent? Do you want to be pregnant that quickly?"

"No, but it is unlikely that we will have cause to-." She twitches. "Was that a..? Line?"

"Not a serious one." I lower my face slightly towards her, exhaling with a little more force that usual so that my scent covers her receptors. "Unless you want it to be."

"I, um. Not… Not yet. But humans have… Intimate gestures of affection that are not sex? I have a… Curiosity, about other species. About you. Beyond… What my job requires."

"Sure." I rest my forehead against hers. "Let me know if anything I do is unpleasantly weird."

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh. First time she's seen Spectrum energy constructs in action, I see. If it helps, think of them as volumetric holographic projections with forcefield reinforcement. Not all that different to something like a Tidewall Shieldline's barrier.

In other words: :cool: Deal with it, honey.

Trust in the things you can feel for real. The ground under your feet. The tools in your hands. The scent of other, entirely calm tau around you...

The Imperial's scale, for reference. Naturally, the Emperor would register completely off their scaling. :p

For reference, that's actually less-than-zero psychic talent. These are people who would see someone use a telekinetic shove and think it was a strong gust of wind.

Admittedly, for a tau, that is significantly high.

For tau technology, maybe. A power Ring is just a wee bit more advanced, thank you. :D

Whoops, awkward.

Sadly, people tend to have their own opinion of what they want to do, regardless of what someone else says they're best suited to...

It's been tried a few times. And usually doesn't work out great. Especially when someone gifted is born into a low-caste...

Never underestimate humanity's talent for grabbing the wrong end of the stick... :oops:

...It usually ends up with them whacking someone with said stick.

...Then you haven't really studied humans too closely, have you?

'Better to die then live on our knees'? Not an unreasonable reaction, really.

Yes, best change the subject, this might be getting a little traumatic for the young lady.

Ah, yes! Distract her with actual work. Best idea!

I assume because of the dangers implicit in her line of work, in close proximity to potentially hostile aliens.

Oh, boy. Their love life is so going to put a cat amongst the pigeons.

Roughly fifty days, going by this. So, almost two months. :confused: Boy, I was kidding about their appointment taking time to line up, but dang.

Yes, best to be very well-informed.

A gift of booze? :p Very sensible. I think she'll need it after dealing with P'Aul, as his empathic vision probably just suggested...

And possibly a little nausea, given what transitions can do to the unprepared person's internal perceptions. Motion sickness on an epic level. :p

...I wonder if P'Aul could Greediport in this universe if he learned how. That would be useful for messing with Imperials, for one thing. :V

Just a little bit of real-space faster-than-light travel between friends. Nothing special.

Somehow, I don't think she's entirely convinced.

I doubt a tau's biological clock ticks that loudly, certainly.

Oooh, naughty.

Let's start with a little thing called 'kissing'... x3

Heh. Seems Tsua'm is a bit of a xenophile, then. Or at least a little curious about 'this thing you Humans call love'... At any rate, I suppose they've got the time for a little sight-seeing, anyway. The wheels of bureaucracy grind slowly indeed. It'll also be interesting to see what P'Aul can do with the Tau genetic information...

I assure you that filing a protest against reality...
    ... though Tsua'm's expression is more one of surprise.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I really don't get the point of this Paul dumping so much bad information on the Tau...

15. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

This sentence is two tense, I think changing the highlighted text to 'I'll be' would help relax it.

16. Mr Zoat

That's the thing: the tau system doesn't have higher or lower castes. She wouldn't assume that rank order was a part of it.
    Thank you, corrected.

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  17. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Yeah I can see how “I need a freaking drink” would be a common desire after meting P’aul.

Oddly enough I feel this is the best ‘romance’ arc so far in WTR. Might just be that P’aul doesn’t have any big distractions going on. Could also be that he is pursuing it rather than simply not resisting it.
    Or it could just be that Mr Zoat has more practice now.

Difficult to argue that the Etherial cast is not ‘higher’ than the others. They are explicitly the leaders after all.

-reply to Vaermina-
    Many authors enjoy the opportunity to expound upon their worldbuilding. And many fans enjoy the opportunity to expound upon their headcannon/fannon.
    Good authors manage to fit such exposition into their story diegetically. In this case it is info the Tau would reasonably be expected to want and P’aul would be entirely willing to give, even if from a plot perspective it could all have happened off-screen.

18. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I came for the alien sex. I was not disappointed.

Sockmonkey likes this.
  19. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think that the apostrophe on ‘Eugenics’ is unnecessary.
    ’I’ll be able’

20. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is the first romance where Paul is pursuing somebody at least as cold logic inclined as he is. They have similar communication styles and this understand each other smoothly.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm basing my tau in their portrayal in the novelisation Fire Warrior and their first codex. The Ethereals aren't leaders in the sense of issuing commands, they just help the other castes coordinate with each other.

22. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

This is a Paul in a position of high respect and social authority, so his unfortunate tendency to be over-concientous to his potential romantic targets is both expected behavior and translatable by the potential romantic targets within the peerage of his social strata.

kerleth, Istaran and Ardy like this.
  23. Ardy

also, blue space babes

24. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Getting some TNG vibes here.

kerleth and Ardy like this.
  25. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Expand plz?

Also: There's a a vid just for Kirk kissing?!

26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

gue'vesa

That sounds... dangerous.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The problem is this isn't headcanon/fannon territory.

Most of the stuff this Paul is wrong about? It's basic stuff he should have known via a twenty second wikia walk back in the day. So if we go that route this is either Zoat deciding to just not do the research and just make anything he wants up. Or this is Zoat deciding to do that thing where everyone has seen the sky as blue all their lives, but then the SI comes in and claims the sky is and always has been plaid, and everyone goes to look and discovers the SI is right.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

If he could do it safely, he could go anywhere he wanted. Any planet, any person, any time. Imagine how paranoid that would make certain Inquisitors. Or he could just teleport into the Emperor's Throne Room and, I don't know, install a text-to-speech device in the throne or something. :p He may not like the Imperium much, but helping some better leaders get in charge would certainly improve it...

BR549, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 3 others like this.
  30. Ardy

But he can't bring people/Tau with him when he does so. Kitten will be forever alone.