• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

That was both sweet and funny. I wish we saw more of this from Paul.
When people are vulnerable around Paul we are very likely to get a reminder that just because his soul is mostly orange, it doesn't mean he doesn't have a substantial amount of indigo.

Also The Butcher's version of "YOU CANNOT USE MY LIGHT!" is probably "HOW DARE YOU USE MY LIGHT!" right?

21st January 2013
18:55 GMT

I watch as a team of Controllers carefully remove the rock of Turi from around Erdammeru.

"How do you manage it?"
It seems to be an innate talent. Possibly also an inane one, given the sheer frequency that he manages to get into these sort of situations. If Narrative Causality were a better understood thing in this universe, she might well say he has strong Protagonist energy. :p

"How did they manage it. I understand that you were in a coma, but that thing must have been put there while the other Controllers were on Maltus."

"No, Maltus was abandoned when this happened. And even we didn't think to check Turi in any detail when thought that we knew everything there was to know about it."
So because it didn't look any different, they just assumed nothing changed. If not for their phenomenal cosmic power, I'd be amazed they ever evolved. :rolleyes:

"Any idea how Draan Del Daar found out?"

"Given that Orion reduced his mortal vessel to pâté, that will be somewhat difficult to decipher. Even our abilities have limits."
...So, necromancy won't help in this situation, then.

"I didn't mean 'can you ask him now', I meant 'can you guess based on his history'. Or-. 'Somewhat difficult'?"

"One of us will attempt to connect to his symbiotes. That… Might give us a better idea. Though I doubt it."
I mean, it's not like they'd keep a nice, itemised timeline of his entire existence...

"And what about Erdammeru?"

"I don't intend to try to interrogate that. It's a space craft, and therefore it's a problem for the Head of L.E.G.I.O.N.."
Well, that's going to be something that unfortunate will have to hash out with Orion later.

"Draan said that it was made by the Anti-Monitor."

"The Anti-Monitor made a great many weapons. I'm far less concerned by this than I was by his armour; this doesn't imply that he might have survived."
I mean, the chuck of armour might have been an old piece lost during the fighting of the Crisis... Still, better safe than sorry. Or eradicated from existence.

I nod, then frown. "Draan said that rings work best when their user makes them."

"If both the user and the prospective alternate ring-founder are of the same skill level. You have some way to go before you can equal me."
Joy of focusing on the combat and social Spectrum skill trees rather than the item creation one.

"Orion hadn't even touched a power ring before; how could he be Draan's equal in skill?"

"Draan hadn't felt rage in millions of years. It's not just familiarity with the mechanical process of ring-forging. You have to be familiar with the emotion as well."
Ah. And I doubt Draan was as intimately familiar with rage after so long, compared to Orion's constant struggles.

"Ah." I nod. "I don't suppose that there are any unaligned maltusians who know a lot about compassion, are there?"

"It doesn't seem very likely. You remember what we did to the psions."
It probably wouldn't even have been that long ago, by the standards of their lifespans...

"Y-? I'd been assuming that they weren't intelligent at the time."

"They weren't as intelligent as us. But they were more intelligent than the laboratory mice humans use for their tests."
To be fair, there aren't many races as intelligent as Maltusians. Coluans come close...

I take a small sealed container out of subspace and open it, looking inside at the broken fragments of half an indigo power ring. Decidedly inactive fragments. I tried putting it near to compassionate people or me when I was being compassionate, but it's… Broken.

"Is that what you got from the Berrith?"
Well, now you've got her attention, I see.

"Yes. Can you tell who made it?"

She pulls it over to her and shakes the contents out onto her left palm.
I mean, it's not like each Ring maker signs their work...

"Not one of us. And almost certainly not a qwardian."

"Kalmin made a blue ring."
A definite break from type, certainly, though I'm pretty sure he did it just for the challenge.

"An act that very nearly made me feel a profoundly disquieting philosophical uncertainty, even at my age."

"Actual philosophical uncertainly, or shell personality-."
Since there is a significant difference in magnitude. :p

"The former."

"Gosh. If that happens enough, would you have a heart attack? Because I think Kalmin would probably go for that."
Please, OL. Don't try to taunt Kalmin into making more Blue Rings just to give Maltusians heart attacks.

"No." She takes a closer look at the fragments. "I don't recognise the species. Something that reached sophoncy while I was comatose, then. And… Yes, I think that they had direct contact with the Proselyte. Indirect contact, certainly."

She waves her right hand, and the pieces try to reassemble themselves. They make up most of the left side of the ring, and slightly more than their fair share of the boss.
Well, Nok hasn't really been well-glimpsed in the comics... But there had to have been some native species, given their distinct, and untranslatable, language. Heck, I saw more of it in the third Lego Batman game than I ever remember from the comics.

"The workmanship is excellent; certainly better than anything you've managed."

I roll my eyes.
Now, now. Don't discourage the toddler by making fun of his work...

"That's all I can say, really." She manually slides the fragments back into the container before resealing it. "If you took it to one of the other two potential ring-forgers, they may-."

"I.. think I'll… Give them both a miss."

"You can learn."
Ha! Yeah, probably a good idea. Though don't forget your idea about mental health checks for them, OL.

She passes the container back to me, and I return it to subspace. So… What now? There isn't much point in me heading back to Earth until I get hold of a yellow ring, and I doubt that Lysis is making me her top priority.

"I don't suppose that there's a big pile of Proselyte blood somewhere?"
There might be crystals or something? I don't know...

"That may be where that ring came from."

"Do you know where that is? Or someone else I could ask?"
Since I doubt the name Nok would mean anything to her. After her time, after all.

"Draan Del Daar would be the man to ask about that. Or you could try the Guardians."

"I will. Any advice on Orion?"
Besides 'tread lightly?'

"I understand what you intend. If it works, the white light should restore him." She shakes her head. "If it doesn't, then it can't be done and there's no sense worrying about it."

"I suppose that's right." I nod. "Okay, I'm going to clock off. Spend some time with Jade while we're both unassigned. Contact me-."
Chances of actually getting any rest: Low.

"There is one other thing."

"Yes?"
...Told you. :D

"I spoke to Sayd concerning… Various matters. She asked me to relay her gratitude concerning Volkreg and Azmah. You handled both situations well."

"Ah. Well, it's nice to be appreciated."
Given he's effectively cleaning up one Lantern's mess and heading a potential disaster for her successors? Not surprised.

"Is that the sort of thing you see yourself doing after the war?"

"I think I'd like to. That, and tourism. How about you?"
...So, an eternal busman's holiday.

"Once the Reach are destroyed I'm not sure that I have anything left to live for."

"What?"
Ooh. death flag raised?

"I'll have proved my point. Done everything that I set out to do. Oh, I won't kill myself if that's what you're worried about. Inertia will keep me going, as it does for the Guardians. But it would be wrong to say that I have something to reach for."

I look at her for a moment, then float closer and hug her for a moment.
...You could always find something new to do?

When I release her, she looks mildly offended.

"Please, never do that again."
I bet she's just a little embarrassed that she liked that. x3

Heh. Embarrassing Orange Granny by showing human affection towards her? Just another day's work for OL. And OL still missing the possibility of tracking down the Indigo Tribe via Abin Sur's movements. He's going to have such an 'I'm an imbecile' moment when he realises it. Safe to say this episode has wound down, then. Wonder what tomorrow will bring...

So... The guiding intelligence that once awoken can run things without a linked captain just disappeared?
I thought Orion turned it off. The whole reason Paul could message anyone and touch the Ophidian when before he couldn't.

Of course, that just makes me wonder why this is a matter for LEGION if the only possible pilot atm is Orion.

Also, if the White Light fixes Orion, doesn't that mean he suddenly needs a lantern to recharge his ring? The only reason he doesn't right now is because of his Butcher Alignment. Unless he can keep that alignment even when not transformed into whatever he is now?

"Any idea how Draan Del Daar found out?"

"Given that Orion reduced his mortal vessel to pâté, that will be somewhat difficult to decipher. Even our abilities have limits."

"
I didn't mean 'can you ask him now', I meant 'can you guess based on his history'. Or-. 'Somewhat difficult'?"

"One of us will attempt to connect to his symbiotes. That… Might give us a better idea. Though I doubt it."
What about his soul? Even without a functional thaumosphere and with Dream's curse it should still be around, no? And he'd be defenseless without access to his symbiotes (which aren't magic). Necromancy or divine altars hooked up to portals not having enough power to get ahold of that soul seems like a solvable problem. L.E.G.I.O.N. makes use of mages on their ships after all. And Paul also managed to get a functioning altar to Hades going on Mother Mercy.

I thought Orion turned it off. The whole reason Paul could message anyone and touch the Ophidian when before he couldn't.

Of course, that just makes me wonder why this is a matter for LEGION if the only possible pilot atm is Orion.

Also, if the White Light fixes Orion, doesn't that mean he suddenly needs a lantern to recharge his ring? The only reason he doesn't right now is because of his Butcher Alignment. Unless he can keep that alignment even when not transformed into whatever he is now?
Orion was going to try.

But using Zoat's own logic that should have failed since he was going up against a fully developed Qwardian Titan.

Orion was going to try.

But using Zoat's own logic that should have failed since he was going up against a fully developed Qwardian Titan.
The only logic I saw was that you have to be sufficiently angry to interface with the Void Hound's AI. And then immediately after Orion says he will bring it to heel, and then Paul can send messages out and touch the Honden and Ophidian when before he couldn't. To me that sounds like Orion turned it off.

Unless I'm missing something.

The only logic I saw was that you have to be sufficiently angry to interface with the Void Hound's AI. And then immediately after Orion says he will bring it to heel, and then Paul can send messages out and touch the Honden and Ophidian when before he couldn't. To me that sounds like Orion turned it off.

Unless I'm missing something.
You're missing that the Void Hound doesn't have an AI.

So long story short, when the Qwardians were building it they discovered that it was so complex nothing their technology was capable of could actually run it. So they went in search of something that could and eventually bound the mystically arisen sentient information net of their entire world to the task. It was not happy about this and drove anybody who even tried to control it completely and utterly insane while going on a rampage that destroyed multiple solar systems forcing the Qwardians to deactivate it.

Meanwhile, on Earth -14
3rd February 2013
20:12 GMT

I shrug at Jonathan's image on the screen.

"Well, it's an… Interesting answer."

"What's that s'pos ta mean?"

He's glowering, but I think that's his default-glower, rather than his someone's-actually-irritated-him glower.

"It's hard to get people to do something totally new, as opposed to something that's essentially the same as something they were doing anyway. A change in organisation that doesn't change anything at street level would garner far less resistance than a change in rules of engagement that affected everyone."

"Ain't no one gunna complain 'bout getting more respect from the Management."

True, but still…

"An award ceremony, though?"

"Yeah? What? Not putting it on T.V. or nothin'. I figure it's a cultural event, yah know? Something that brings everyone in the whole Syndicate together. And everyone wants ta' be the ones up on the stage sometime."

"Okay, so 'Highest Earner' I get. And 'Most Improved Territory', because if you give someone an underdeveloped area and they do good work turning it around, they should get respect for managing that even if the actual profit isn't all that great. 'Best Fight' works because we are a criminal network, and it encourages people to remember that."

"And 'cause there's people who can't do nuthin' else. Might as well give them respect for it."

"Might I suggest 'Best Fight With An Enemy'? I wouldn't want to reward them for fighting other members of the Syndicate."

He shrugs. "Yeah, that's what it's suppose ta be. You really think someone-."

He cuts himself off as he thinks about it.

"Yeah, okay."

"Now, do you want that to be a single award, or do you want to split it into 'Best Single Combat' and 'Best Group Combat' as separate categories?"

"Ah…" He frowns, his eyes moving away from me. "Maybe? I wanna go through the applications, see what actually gets submitted."

"Okay. And 'Best Covert Operation'."

He shrugs. "What?"

"I'm concerned about giving an award for something 'covert'."

"It's a secret ceremony-."

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead, Ultraboy. If we send out hundreds of invitations, word will get out."

"'Best… Surprise Operation'?"

I nod. "That could work. It rewards people with good field leadership skills but who aren't necessarily good business managers. Now, 'Best Revenge'."

"Like you said, we're a criminal syndicate. We gotta get back at the people who get one over on us."

"Yes, but I'm concerned about encouraging revenge attacks that aren't strategically useful. The last thing we want is someone taking a shot at Luthor because they want the award."

Jonathan looks truculent. "Gotta take a shot at him sometime."

Not if I can help it.

"Right, but that's something that takes planning. Strategic planning. We really don't want someone going rogue on something like that."

"Fine. Howsabout 'Best Planned Revenge'? I mean, if they actually pulled it off without blowback, what's the problem?"

"As long as we're clear that it won't be awarded posthumously and normal rules about escalation apply…" I nod. "Alright. We could give it a try and see what happens. 'Best Costume'."

"I never went to the pictures 'cause I heard a movie got an Oscar for 'Best Sound Design'. Not everything gotta be super serious."

"How about restricting it to costumes that were used in the field at least once?"

"Yeah? Why-?" He frowns. "You think people would make costumes just ta win an award?"

"This is about public acknowledgement before their peers. I think we could see some very interesting costumes, and if they don't have to use them in the field then things could get downright silly."

"'kay. Just one time, or fer the whole year?"

"I think just once is okay. It's not a serious award, and if it's something with a big flaw it's better that they be able to correct the problem. 'Best Young Villain', no… Ah, actually, is that limited to Made Men? Because a lot of younger… Younger associates, won't have been 'made' yet."

"Nah. They don't need ta be, but they ain't excluded if they are."

I nod. "Fine. I don't think we should have 'Most Powerful'."

"Why not?"

"Because it undermines the Management if we openly acknowledge that there's someone more powerful out there." He moues, then nods. "I mean, the Management themselves aren't eligible, right?"

"Nah. I get yah, I just really wanted ta do it, yah know? It woulda been one of the big awards. There are Made Men who could take the Management in a fight."

"How about 'Best Display Of Power'? The implication's the same, but it's not quite as direct. And it means that whoever's winning it has been using that power in the field."

"I… Lemme workshop it some. See if I can make it work."

I nod. "Okay. 'Best Theft', yeah, no problem. 'Best Use Of A Vehicle'..?"

"Not a big deal. Something anyone can try for."

I nod as I scan down the list. "Okay, and the same with the rest… Yes, I think this idea has legs. Do you want to finalise things, or should I raise the idea with the Management at my next meeting?"

"Lemme get the whole thing planned out first. I wanna be sure I'm ready before I go to the Management."

"You want to do the presentation yourself?" He nods. "Okay, yes, we can make that happen. Let me know-" I hear the door open. "-when you're ready. Ah, Zorina just got back, so-."

"Gotcha." He smiles at me. "I'll call back once I'm ready."

The screen goes dead as I stand up and walk out of my study and onto the landing. Zorina and Zita are just coming in the front door, and Zita's fast asleep in the basket floating alongside her. "Zorina, how did it go?"

She looks up towards me, frowning slightly as I head down the stairs.

"They think she's a reincarnation. That she had at least two lives before this one."

I frown a little. "Is that..? Unusual? Bad?"

"In Europe?" She nods as I reach her and kiss her on the forehead. "It's a little unusual. Bad… Depends on who she was, and what kind of memories she kept."

"Is she going to remember everything? Is she-?"

Is she our daughter, or effectively a changeling, is what I'm thinking. Is what I'm worrying.

Zorina smiles reassuringly. "No, that's not how it works. She's Zita Zatara, and she-. She won't start remembering anything clearly until she's at least ten. And then, who she is will still be more important than who she was."

I nod, a little relieved. "And her magic?"

"That's not clear. Her last incarnation was a powerful mage, but the one before that wasn't at all. We'll just have to keep an eye on her. Depending on how things go she might regain her second life's magic rather than showing Zatara family magic."

"Did they have any advice for us?"

"Avoid trains, explosions and… Communists, for some reason?"

I frown, then shrug. A hidden coven of witches are the last people who are going to give clear answers. "Alright. I think we can manage that?"

Last edited:
Well this was an unexpected conversation.

It puts me in mind of those villain awards from the Harley Quinn show.

And now I can't help but see the Crime Syndicate become something like the Legion of Doom from that show.

The most important question is who will be their Bane.

3rd February 2013

Zoat the link for this chapter doesn't have the date above it.

Now who could be little Zita's previous life?

Anyone have any ideas?

I frown, then shrug. A hidden coven of witches are the last people who are going to give clear answers. "Alright. I think we can manage that?"
I-is she the reincarnation of Princess Anastasia?

3rd February 2013

I shrug at Jonathan's image on the screen.

"Well, it's an… Interesting answer."
Ah, 'Baul'. Still trying to make the villainous Earth you live on a better place without any of your criminal compatriots realising it? Hope he's been getting plenty of sleep, though, what with being a father now. x3

"What's that s'pos ta mean?"

He's glowing, but I think that's his default-glower, rather than his someone's-actually-irritated-him glower.
...I mean, if he's got heat-vision, then 'glowing' might be a legitimate expression for him. :p Usually right before someone starts to feel the heat...

"It's hard to get people to do something totally new, as opposed to something that's essentially the same as something they were doing anyway. A change in organisation that doesn't change anything at street level would garner far less resistance than a change in rules of engagement that affected everyone."

"Ain't no one gunna complain 'bout getting more respect from the Management."
And evidently his plan is something on the 'this is gonna be big' end of that range?

True, but still…

"An award ceremony, though?"
:confused: ...What.

"Yeah? What? Not putting it on T.V. or nothin'. I figure it's a cultural event, yah know? Something that brings everyone in the whole Syndicate together. And everyone wants ta' be the ones up on the stage sometime."

"Okay, so 'Highest Earner' I get. And 'Most Improved Territory', because if you give someone an underdeveloped area and they do good work turning it around, they should get respect for managing that even if the actual profit isn't all that great. 'Best Fight' works because we are a criminal network, and it encourages people to remember that."
Heh. The joy of picking the inaugural categories for something like this. Gotta encourage appropriate behaviour in the ranks.

"And 'cause there's people who can't do nuthin' else. Might as well give them respect for it."

"Might I suggest 'Best Fight With An Enemy'? I wouldn't want to reward them for fighting other members of the Syndicate."
...Good point. Remember, appropriate behaviour. I can see some moronic mook with muscles for brains deciding 'hey, I could fight my boss and win a prize!'

He shrugs. "Yeah, that's what it's suppose ta be. You really think someone-."

He cuts himself off as he thinks about it.
You know someone would be that stupid.

"Yeah, okay."

"Now, do you want that to be a single award, or do you want to split it into 'Best Single Combat' and 'Best Group Combat' as separate categories?"
Since someone with a buff-dispensing ability might only shine when they have allies.

"Ah…" He frowns, his eyes moving away from me. "Maybe? I wanna go through the applications, see what actually gets submitted."

"Okay. And 'Best Covert Operation'."
...I think I see the issue with this one. :cool:

He shrugs. "What?"

"I'm concerned about giving an award for something 'covert'."
Especially if it ends up being for something that targetted someone recently joined. Joined because of a setback caused by a covert operation...

"It's a secret ceremony-."

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead, Ultraboy. If we send out hundreds of invitations, word will get out."
And you know someone will try to record it. Especially those with built-in technology.

"'Best… Surprise Operation'?"

I nod. "That could work. It rewards people with good field leadership skills but who aren't necessarily good business managers. Now, 'Best Revenge'."
After all, not every surprise is planned, nor every operation intended to be a surprise.

"Like you said, we're a criminal syndicate. We gotta get back at the people who get one over on us."

"Yes, but I'm concerned about encouraging revenge attacks that aren't strategically useful. The last thing we want is someone taking a shot at Luthor because they want the award."
...Oooh. Yeah, poking that bear might be a very bad idea.

Jonathan looks truculent. "Gotta take a shot at him sometime."

Not if I can help it.
Since it's likely to end up with a lot of people you have hopes for getting hurt.

"Right, but that's something that takes planning. Strategic planning. We really don't want someone going rogue on something like that."

"Fine. Howsabout 'Best Planned Revenge'? I mean, if they actually pulled it off without blowback, what's the problem?"
The best kind of revenge: One where you pull it off without the chance of reprisals in kind.

"As long as we're clear that it won't be awarded posthumously and normal rules about escalation apply…" I nod. "Alright. We could give it a try and see what happens. 'Best Costume'."

"I never went to the pictures 'cause I heard a movie got an Oscar for 'Best Sound Design'. Not everything gotta be super serious."
"All I want is some pants! Is that too much to ask for?"

"How about restricting it to costumes that were used in the field at least once?"

"Yeah? Why-?" He frowns. "You think people would make costumes just ta win an award?"
...And some superhero communities take costuming seriously. Just look at Champions Online and their costume contests. :D Case in point: Wingspan's weekly contests.

"This is about publically acknowledgement before their peers. I think we could see some very interesting costumes, and if they don't have to use them in the field then things could get downright silly."

"'kay. Just one time, or fer the whole year?"
For instance, far too many 90's costumes with insufficient armouring, far too many sharp edges or just improbable material choices.

"I think just once is okay. It's not a serious award, and if it's something with a big flaw it's better that they be able to correct the problem. 'Best Young Villain', no… Ah, actually, is that limited to Made Men? Because a lot of younger… Younger associates, won't have been 'made' yet."

"Nah. They don't need ta be, but they ain't excluded if they are."
Maybe have their mentors place the nominations? Those rookies who make a good showing would score well.

I nod. "Fine. I don't think we should have 'Most Powerful'."

"Why not?"
...Because it sounds like a big middle finger to those in charge?

"Because it undermines the Management if we openly acknowledge that there's someone more powerful out there." He moues, then nods. "I mean, the Management themselves aren't eligible, right?"

"Nah. I get yah, I just really wanted ta do it, yah know? It woulda been one of the big awards. There are Made Men who could take the Management in a fight."
But you don't want to encourage them to start having thoughts of 'wait, if I'm stronger than those chucklefucks, why are they the ones in charge?'

"How about 'Best Display Of Power'? The implication's the same, but it's not quite as direct. And it means that whoever's winning it has been using that power in the field."

"I… Lemme workshop it some. See if I can make it work."
And it encourages creativeness with less obviously strong powers.

I nod. "Okay. 'Best Theft', yeah, no problem. 'Best Use Of A Vehicle'..?"

"Not a big deal. Something anyone can try for."
...At least append 'criminal use' to it? Unless you want to encourage getaway drivers to start entering car shows...

I nod as I scan down the list. "Okay, and the same with the rest… Yes, I think this idea has legs. Do you want to finalise things, or should I raise the idea with the Management at my next meeting?"

"Lemme get the whole thing planned out first. I wanna be sure I'm ready before I go to the Management."
...Ah, they grow up so quick!

"You want to do the presentation yourself?" He nods. "Okay, yes, we can make that happen. Let me know-" I hear the door open. "-when you're ready. Ah, Zorina just got back, so-."

"Gotcha." He smiles at me. "I'll call back once I'm ready."
Stow that eyebrow-wiggling, kiddo. Opportunities like that are few and far between these days.

The screen goes dead as I stand up and walk out of my study and onto the landing. Zorina and Zita are just coming in the front door, and Zita's fast asleep in the basket floating alongside her. "Zorina, how did it go?"

She looks up towards me, frowning slightly as I head down the stairs.
Decently well, since she's not injured or grumpy?

"They think she's a reincarnation. That she had at least two lives before this one."

I frown a little. "Is that..? Unusual? Bad?"
Depends on whether it was part of a spell or something. Like, 'bury my mind in my descendents DNA until the time is right, so that I can take over their body'. An actual plot point in stuff like Symphogear. (Spoilers there, mind!)

"In Europe?" She nods as I reach her and kiss her on the forehead. "It's a little unusual. Bad… Depends on who she was, and what kind of memories she kept."

"Is she going to remember everything? Is she-?"
Yeah, I expect the Silver City would get in the way of reincarnation stuff...

Is she our daughter, or effectively a changeling, is what I'm thinking. Is what I'm worrying.

Zorina smiles reassuringly. "No, that's not how it works. She's Zita Zatara, and she-. She won't start remembering anything clearly until she's at least ten. And then, who she is will still be more important than who she was."
Assuming she remembered anything at all. But if they mentioned it, she will be.

I nod, a little relieved. "And her magic?"

"That's not clear. Her last incarnation was a powerful mage, but the one before that wasn't at all. We'll just have to keep an eye on her. Depending on how things go she might regain her second life's magic rather than showing Zatara family magic."
Or a mix of both, even.

"Did they have any advice for us?"

...If that's a reference, then it cruised over my head like an airliner in mid-flight...

Well, good to see things are going well for Baul and family. Still, amusing that they're considering an awards ceremony for the Syndicate. I suppose if it improves morale amongst the ranks, then it's not stupid. And it might set up some clever rivalries for the future. After all, if someone wins a top prize, then others with the same skill-set will be itching to take next year's award.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back