• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

17th February 2013
14:01 GMT

Why are they only hitting me?
Oh, I hope the others are filming this. Discreetly, if only for OL's ego. Still, I'm impressed at both the pettiness of the action and the precise control needed to both make the bird shit on command and hit only him with it. Perhaps the lady has some skills.

There's an apocalypse on. The bird poo is annoying not because it impairs me but because of how incredibly petty it is. She clearly knows about what's going on in the world outside her little primitivist pocket paradise, but she's taking time out of her busy hiding schedule to literally shit on me.
Maybe she doesn't like you, and wants you to go away? Not that that's likely, given, well, you.

We're approaching the wooden buildings that make up the hamlet, having walked through the non-marijuana crop fields. To be fair, in a place like this I could honestly believe that they were growing it for hemp rope-making, and a few Class B drugs never hurt anyone.

"Mercury, I know you know we're here. We're trying to save the world and we need your help. The faster you help us, the faster we're gone, and the faster things go back to normal."
Hey, as long as it's for personal use, live and let live.

No response.

Kon nods at the door of the dining hall. "I could knock?"
To be fair, it would show they're not the bad guys. Justifiers wouldn't bother to knock, except with the sole of a boot.

"No, because if Mercury's not here they might be hiding in there and then they'll panic. She either knows that we're here or…" I frown. "Cornwall, I don't suppose you've seen a young woman around the Anti-Life broadcasters, have you?"

"A few? What, you think they got her?"
If they do have her, then this little plan just went down the shitter.

"I'm aware that it's a possibility. She isn't a battle wizard, she's self-taught. She can't defeat a horde in the way that someone who can conjure elements can."

Richard looks around. "There aren't any signs of a fight, Oh El."
...Who knows if whatever traps she has set up can clean up after themselves?

Mitchell frowns. "I can't hear anyone. I should be able to hear if there was anyone here. Are you.. sure-?"

Kon shakes his head. "Kryptonians and magic don't mix. If Mercury's got a spell to stop people hearing or to stop sound moving, it'll work just as well on us as on a human."
Wonder Boy and Super Boy, best brothers. :confused: ...Seriously, has there ever been a YJ Fic with Kon getting adopted by Wonder Woman and adopting her branding? x3 I've seen a cute fanart or two, but no stories.

Mitchell frowns in frustration, and Kon smiles companionably.

"Yeah, it's annoying, but we're not unbeatable."
True, even Superman has weaknesses. Same ones Mitchell does.

His brother shrugs. "I know, but I'd gotten used to being able to hear everything. It's weird when I can't do it."

M'gann nods. "I know."
Back to being head-blind, eh, M'gaan? Won't need the defences, soon.

"Mercury, I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm going to look a little harder, alright? We do actually need to talk to you."

A gently as I can, I extend my awareness into the… Honden. Which I can't feel. Okay, try a scan. Oh, that's a really good ward. There aren't any blank spots. It's either very carefully excluding particular things, r-.
Sheesh. still having issues with magical concealment, OL? Would have though you'd found a way around that by now.

I try scanning the world outside of Pagan Nation territory and get nothing.

"Oh dear."
Oh, that's not good.

Robert looks puzzled. "What?"

"I think that we're currently in a pocket universe that triggered when we crossed the pit trap. Because that's probably the only way she could deal with a major attack. Superboy, Match, Cornwall, please fly in the that way, that way and that way while I go back to the entrance."
And meet them back here? :p If it's set up right, they won't even have to turn around to get there.

Robert looks a little spooked. "And then what?"

"We still try talking to her. If we can't do that, you and I throw as much raw power as we can at the problem until it stops being a problem."
Which would likely send up some obvious signs to the Justified that something of note is out here, though.

The four of us rise off the ground and head towards our destinations. Was there any sign I missed..? I don't think so. My spell eater isn't any hotter than it's default state and there weren't any visible sigils at the entrance. Makes me wonder… How exactly is she as strong as she is? Usually an Atlantean magician will exercise their metaphysique for decades to get as strong as she is, and they'll still use carefully standardised spell construction because it's more energy efficient. She doesn't. She hasn't had any magical education that she couldn't get from a bunch of hippies and her own psychometric abilities. John didn't say anything about her drawing power from something or having some sort of elemental giving her power, so…
Unless the Anti-Life has driven her to tap into something more primal.

Heritage? And given how she used magic… Fae? It's the only thing that comes immediately to…

I see the entrance.
Illusions and misdirection? Seems to fit.

Mind.

Yes, now I'm looking for it, the exit doesn't look quite right. I can see the way out, but there's a haze, and-.
I can't help but picture the 'endless nothingness' of the map boundaries of the typical sandbox game.

I try flying 'out' and it looks like I'm making progress, until I turn around and I'm no further from the closest tree than I was when I started.

"Alright! You got us! Certainly can't save the world from in here! Well done! Very impressed!"
While the sarcasm might be a bit much, OL... It's probably warranted in this case.

I slow-clap her mockingly.

"You know we're not here to threaten you. I don't even really need you to do any magic, just tell us how to do something and that's fine. Mannheim's people are going to come for you eventually whether you leave us here or not."
And not having them handy might make things go worse when Mannheim does turn up.

"Then what do you want?"

I turn to see Mercury… Mercury's translucent projection, sitting in a tree. She's visibly older than last time we spoke, though that isn't too surprising at her age. I'm going to assume that she's intelligent enough to make sure what whatever I'm talking to isn't something that I can influence with the orange light.
I mean, she might not be skilled enough to manage that. But trying would just sour things with her more.

"Passage to Otherworld. While still alive, obviously. The Justifiers are infecting-."

"I know, I can feel it. It's disgusting."
Unsurprising. You can see why they want it gone, right?

"Glad you think so. Why have you done this to me?"

"Thought John might have sent you. He gets through a lot of friends in situations like this."
...I would say that's excessively paranoid, but... ;) John Constantine.

"Haven't seen him since this started. Last I heard he was on Reformation Island."

She scoffs. "Fat chance with that one."
Well, he wasn't really trying to go straight, just sort himself out after Anti-Life-related shenanigans... And now I say that, what's the bet that setup was tied to Mannheim's deeds?

"That doesn't matter. I'm not sure why you don't want to talk to us and it doesn't really matter. Can you send us to Otherworld? Just spin this around and connect it to there rather than the regular material world? Then I'll have no reason to seek you out."

"Until next time."
With any luck, there won't need to be a next time.

"What do you want me to say? You are literally the last person I want to ask for help, because I suspected that you'd act up like this. But all of my magic allies are occupied, and the independent contractors are out of reach. This should be simple for you, and every moment you don't do it is another moment you spend in my presence."

"It's because I can't tell."
Ah, are we going to learn why she was all 'hate at first sight' with him?

"What is?"

"Why I don't like you. I usually know why everyone's doing everything. The twins were saying the same sort of thing."
That would be the psychometry. And between his cloaking tattoos and his non-standard metaphysical structure... :confused: He's a giant blind spot.

"When this is over I'll build you a suppression collar so that you can learn how normal people interact. Will you send us on our way now?"

"… Fine. Then it's all your problem."
That's all he wanted. So hooray!

Well, that went well. And it looks like they get to skip a step or two of the process. Let's hope that doesn't bite them in the ass. Though I find it amusing that she didn't like him simply because she couldn't know what he was thinking at any moment. Then again, if you picture him as being a man-sized blur on her mystical senses, like a flicker in the corner of her eyes except dead center, it makes sense...

A gently as I can, I extend my awareness into the…
As gently as I can, I extend my awareness into the…
...please fly in the that way, that way and that way...
Delete 'in the'.

Oh, I hope the others are filming this. Discreetly, if only for OL's ego. Still, I'm impressed at both the pettiness of the action and the precise control needed to both make the bird shit on command and hit only him with it. Perhaps the lady has some skills.
It would help Guy and Hal resist the Anti-Life for months. (Referring to the more dangerous forms of it for Mr Enlightened).

As far as I'm aware, this Otherworld is not particularly associated with the two/three faerie factions we know. I bring this up because the last time Paragon Paul visited a faerie realm, several months passed. I'm trying to figure out why this chapter is called Wait Time. What time-related effect could pop up in Otherworld or Hades' realm?

Also, from a meta perspective, if neither Melinoe nor the Fear Elemental are the yellow lantern for this arc, then how could this series of events help the group find one? On a separate note, I wonder if both of those characters are at risk from some White Light effect at the end of this mess. Melinoe is, via divine essence, somewhat Black enlightened. I certainly assume there will be some minor effect for our red lantern New God.

Also? I recently tried looking through a long list of Martian Manhunter's foes. I figured that the telepath, the psychic, would have a villain dedicated to causing terror and associated trauma. After excluding the cosmic-level threats, I did not find any. The closest was the burning Martian version of J'onzz. What a missed opportunity for comic writers.

Last edited:
who this Mercury person again ?
When Paul and co were in Minions investigating the nightmares (Siskin and the Terror Thing), Paul needed information about whatever company was originally doing the research. Mercury was the only other person he could get info about it (Constantine only knew enough to stop the final terror weapon from being built).
Paul made it pretty clear just what he thinks of primitive communes and the people who live in them.

Because birds have the innate ability to target assholes.
Eugh! You just conjured the unpleasant image of a bird shitting into someone's asshole in my mind. I never even thought of something like that until now.

I have now learned that such a thing would be called a Manhattan transfer.

As gently as I can, I extend my awareness into the…
Delete 'in the'.
Thank you, corrected.
Hey, as long as it's for personal use, live and let live.
And if they sold it to people, it would be for their personal use.

Everyone needs rope, after all.
Wonder Boy and Super Boy, best brothers. :confused: ...Seriously, has there ever been a YJ Fic with Kon getting adopted by Wonder Woman and adopting her branding? x3 I've seen a cute fanart or two, but no stories.
I saw one a few years ago where they used her genetics rather than Lex's, but I don't remember what it was called.
Abit hypocritical there ain't ya OL?
"It's not hypocritical when I do it."

Why are they only hitting me?

There's an apocalypse on. The bird poo is annoying not because it impairs me but because of how incredibly petty it is. She clearly knows about what's going on in the world outside her little primitivist pocket paradise, but she's taking time out of her busy hiding schedule to literally shit on me

I mean hey, if the world is ending then you can at least piss off someone you don't like to fell a bit better.

That it she's somehow marking you to make it easier to track you.

I actually forgot to ask, but how are Wolf and the Sphere doing? It's new genesis technology so it might have some advice? And wolf is a good girl and walking morale boost/throat ripper that is also adorable. I don't think we've seen her since... Teekl died?

Wait Time (part 7)
17th February 2013
14:06 GMT

Mercury jumps down from the tree as… Something happens to the entrance. I actually have to shut my eyes as… The universe distorts, patches of colour running into each other, but I'm seeing… A twisting of-. I assume that it's the thaumosphere, but there's hints of-. I don't know what it is but I don't like it.

"Oh. Can you see it too?"

I gird my loins and look at the mess. Some things are lines with the black I associate with the Anti-Life, and others… I don't even know.

"If you mean the black lines, yes. I have been exposed to the Anti-Life before." Ugh. "Is this going to take-"

The view stabilises, looking… Like a slightly different woodland.

"-long? Ah, thank you. Orange Lantern to team, we have arrived in Otherworld. Please join me at the entrance."

I get acknowledgement pings over the radio, and…

"Alright, thank you. We're where we need to be." Mercury shrugs. "You're free to leave? I don't imagine that you want to be around me any more than I want to be around you."

"Can't." She folds her arms across her chest.

"And why is that?"

"I'm not Mercury. I'm like a bit of her that she broke off-"

"Because that worked out so well for John."

"-so she didn't have to deal with you herself."

"So she created you just.. to hold a conversation she couldn't be bothered with?"

"Mm-hmm."

She smiles in a decidedly unimpressed way.

"Are you supposed to make your way back to her, or just-"

She turns away and dashes across the 'threshold', running up to a… A tree.

"Come on, wake up."

"-going to do your own thing-"

Mitchell lands next to me, frowning at her.

"-now?"

A single bloom extends itself from the branch she's looking at. Staring at. It blossoms into a flower which she pokes at before resuming her staring. The flower closes, dying as the fertilised plant grows fruit at rapid speed. Cherries by the looks of things.

"Thank you."

The moment they're fully grown she pulls them off and eats one, chewing in the manner of a wild child never taught table manners. Or of my granddad, but he had false teeth. She turns around, smiling sweetly.

"There!"

"You ate food in another world and now can't leave?"

"Don't wanna leave. Mercury didn't care what I did once I did my job, so I'm staying here."

"Okay, good luck with that!"

Richard lands with a thump as the rest of the team finish flying in, Mercury getting a few puzzled glances.

"Everyone, mini-Mercury. Mini-Mercury, everyone. Cornwall, where to now?"

"Errr… Dunno mate."

"Hah!"

Mercury 2 grins while the rest of us look a little uncertain.

"Great Granddad came with me each time, before. And this isn't where we came through."

"I can fly us south if that would help?"

"Topography here doesn't work like that."

I look at Mercury. She looks back at me, smirking. I avoid looking at her.

"We could just do the summoning ritual we used to get your Great Grandfather here."

"Wouldn't work here. This is, like, as close to living as death gets. It's… Well, it's for people who don't really want death to be a transformative experience. Just a break in the country until their next reincarnation. You can't summon people from one place to another. If we set up a ritual he might feel it, but then he's got to get here."

"Any dangers we should know about?"

Richard looks at me quizzically. "You didn't check, Oh El?"

"Briefly. This was supposed to be a quick stop-off. I didn't think we'd have to go orienteering."

"Elves. Fae-fairy type elves, not like in Lord of the Rings. And all sorts of other fae creatures. Goblins. Nasty spirit creatures. Fomorians, though them you can see coming a mile off."

He hesitates.

"Usually."

M'gann's eyes glow as she looks around. "What's a 'fomorian'?"

"Like a giant with elemental magic..? A.. sort of mini-titan with a body that's mostly flesh rather than just being magic." He shakes his head. "But like I said, we could see one coming a mile off, and none of them have any reason to come after us."

He looks around, uncertainly.

"I think."

I look at Mercury. She looks back at me, still smirking. I go back to avoiding looking at her.

To my mild relief, Richard tries it in my place.

"Mercury, can you get us to Cornwall Boy's grandfather?"

She puts another cherry in her mouth, masticating unpleasantly. "Myup."

He crouches slightly, putting his head on a level with hers. "What will it take for you do actually do it?"

"Um…" She makes a show of averting her eyes as she thinks it over. "The soul of your firstborn?"

"Ah, no. Try again?"

"You could give me your real name?"

"Ah. I.. guess I could-.

"No." / "No, don't-!"

Mercury glowers at Robert and I in a good-humoured way, while Richard frowns under his mask. "Why would-? Oh. Fae. Right."

"Yeah. Alright, we'll just follow the road until we reach a settlement and then ask for directions-."

"Do you have any food from the real world?"

I nod at Mercury. "Yes."

"Give me that, and I'll take you to him lickety split."

"Deal."

I take a single Brussels sprout out of subspace and hold it out to her.

Last edited:
gird by loins and look

"gird my"

"-so she didn't have to deal with your herself

Given tour personality, a lot more people may do this if they could.

"Because that worked out so well for John

To be fair, that is John.

He has a tendency to screw up everything.

If he tried to make some eggs for breakfast then there's a chance that he can somehow bring about a demonic chicken god into existence.

"Everyone, mini-Mercury. Mini-Mercury, everyone

Now I want her to give him some feathers.

"Errr… Dunno mate."

"Hah!"

"Great Granddad came with me each time, before. And this isn't where we came through

And you don't want to guess directions on a faes home.

Fomorians, though them you can see coming a mile off."

Yeah, if you're a giant misshapen lump of flesh then you'd be pretty memorable.

He hesitates.

"Usually."

Lugh was part fomorian and was apparently very handsome.

I nod at Mercury. "Yes."

"Deal."

I take a single Brussels sprout out of subspace and hold it out to her

Mercury: Bastard.

People need to stop and realize that any plan that requires you to break yourself into component parts should not be plan 1.
Doylistly, it does a good job of showing us how contemptible Mercury is, far moreso than just her pettiness with the birdshit did. (EDIT: Watsonianly, she's far more like John than she'd like to admit, except that this is clearly a hell of a lot more petty than anything this serious that I can recall John doing.)

OK I know you don't like her, but that's just evil.
She hasn't diverged enough for Mercury to deserve better, nor (I suspect) for Paul to have much hope that better treatment would be worth the effort.

Last edited:
17th February 2013
14:06 GMT

Mercury jumps down from the tree as… Something happens to the entrance. I actually have to shut my eyes as… The universe distorts, patches of colour running into each other, but I'm seeing… A twisting of-. I assume that it's the thaumosphere, but there's hints of-. I don't know what it is but I don't like it.

"Oh. Can you see it too?"
I would assume that's the network of ley-lines reordering itself as they switch dimensional alignments. Must make for a spectacular sight. Especially with streaks of not-black running through it courtesy of the Anti-Life.

I gird my loins and look at the mess. Some things are lines with the black I associate with the Anti-Life, and others… I don't even know.

"If you mean the black lines, yes. I have been exposed to the Anti-Life before." Ugh. "Is this going to take-"
I wonder if they're forming hill figures. It seems the sort of thing to expect in a mythical realm like this.

The view stabilises, looking… Like a slightly different woodland.

"-long? Ah, thank you. Orange Lantern to team, we have arrived in Otherworld. Please join me at the entrance."
Presumably this patch of reality is euclidean enough to allow them to assemble quickly. Fae realms not being known for their linearity.

I get acknowledgement pings over the radio, and…

"Alright, thank you. We're where we need to be." Mercury shrugs. "You're free to leave? I don't imagine that you want to be around me any more than I want to be around you."
I would suspect that to be the case, OL.

"Can't." She folds her arms across her chest.

"And why is that?"
Well, that's a sudden change of heart.

Great. A doppelganger. Let's hope they don't get ideas abut replacing their original.

"-so she didn't have to deal with your herself."

"So she created you just.. to hold a conversation she couldn't be bothered with?"
...And here I thought Mercury was a weak mage.

"Mm-hmm."

She smiles in a decidedly unimpressed way.
Looks like the clone has about as high an opinion of her original as OL does.

"Are you supposed to make your way back to her, or just-"

She turns away and dashes across the 'threshold', running up to a… A tree.
And if her form weren't so solidly set by her original, I have no doubt she'd be de-aging as she went.

"Come on, wake up."

"-going to do your own thing-"
Oh, yes, definitely fae ancestry.

Mitchell lands next to me, frowning at her.

"-now?"
Don't mind her, she's... Different.

A single bloom extends itself from the branch she's looking at. Staring at. It blossoms into a flower which she pokes at before resuming her staring. The flower closes, dying as the fertilised plant grows fruit at rapid speed. Cherries by the looks of things.

"Thank you."
Impressive display of nature magic, but entirely wasteful.

The moment they're fully grown she pulls them off and eats one, chewing in the manner of a wild child never taught table manners. Or of my granddad, but he had false teeth. She turns around, smiling sweetly.

"There!"
At least swallow before you start talking...

"You ate food in another world and now can't leave?"

"Don't wanna leave. Mercury didn't care what I did once I did my job, so I'm staying here."
If this is how many fae creatures come into being, then their capriciousness starts to make sense.

"Okay, good luck with that!"

Richard lands with a thump as the rest of the team finish flying in, Mercury getting a few puzzled glances.
Got to kind of suck to be the only non-flier in the group, but the Danner Formula makes up for it.

"Everyone, mini-Mercury. Mini-Mercury, everyone. Cornwall, where to now?"

"Errr… Dunno mate."
...I mean, he's familiar with the realm near his home ranges. You assume he'd know how to navigate in the wilds of the north?

"Hah!"

To be fair, they probably didn't consider the issue of navigation beforehand.

"Great Granddad came with me each time, before. And this isn't where we came through."

"I can fly us south if that would help?"
And which way is that? This isn't the kind of place where a compass would work to well. And probably offend someone with the lodestone of the needle.

"Topography here doesn't work like that."

I look at Mercury. She looks back at me, smirking. I avoid looking at her.
I guess, shorn of all responsibilities, Mercury might act like this.

"We could just do the summoning ritual we used to get your Great Grandfather here."

"Wouldn't work here. This is, like, as close to living as death gets. It's… Well, it's for people who don't really want death to be a transformative experience. Just a break in the country until their next reincarnation. You can't summon people from one place to another. If we set up a ritual he might feel it, but then he's got to get here."
And given that's probably a thousand kilometres or more, I don't see him walking it in any reasonable time.

"Any dangers we should know about?"

Richard looks at me quizzically. "You didn't check, Oh El?"
I mean... Did any of you expect to be able to get in this quickly?

"Briefly. This was supposed to be a quick stop-off. I didn't think we'd have to go orienteering."

"Elves. Fae-fairy type elves, not like in Lord of the Rings. And all sorts of other fae creatures. Goblins. Nasty spirit creatures. Fomorians, though them you can see coming a mile off."
Though some of the most powerful might look like Tolkein-esque Elves. The tall, pale and ethereal look has a dignity to it, after all.

He hesitates.

"Usually."
Given that half-fomorians exist amongst the Tuatha... Anything goes.

M'gann's eyes glow as she looks around. "What's a 'fomorian'?"

"Like a giant with elemental magic..? A.. sort of mini-titan with a body that's mostly flesh rather than just being magic." He shakes his head. "But like I said, we could see one coming a mile off, and none of them have any reason to come after us."
Especially the scarier ones, like Balor Bale-eye.

He looks around, uncertainly.

"I think."
I mean, some are said to be outright murderous even without provocation...

I look at Mercury. She looks back at me, still smirking. I go back to avoiding looking at her.

To my mild relief, Richard tries it in my place.
Hopefully he can avoid the Diplomacy penalty between OL and Mercury-prime.

"Mercury, can you get us to Cornwall Boy's grandfather?"

She puts another cherry in her mouth, masticating unpleasantly. "Myup."
Oh, she can, but will she? That'll need more negotiation.

He crouches slightly, putting his head on a level with hers. "What will it take for you do actually do it?"

"Um…" She makes a show of averting her eyes as she thinks it over. "The soul of your firstborn?"
You'll be waiting a few years, I hope you realise.

"Ah, no. Try again?"

"You could give your me real name?"
Yeah, like he'd fall for...

"Ah. I.. guess I could-.

"No." / "No, don't-!"
...That. Honestly, Robin. Have you never read any fairy stories?

Mercury glowers at Robert and I in a good-humoured way, while Richard frowns under his mask. "Why would-? Oh. Fae. Right."

"Yeah. Alright, we'll just follow the road until we reach a settlement and then ask for directions-."
Hopefully without managing to offend someone by travelling their lands without asking. Because I don't doubt this little simulacra dropping down hasn't gone unnoticed.

I nod at Mercury. "Yes."
Naturally, because who knows when you might need to feed someone.

"Deal."

I take a single Brussels sprout out of subspace and hold it out to her.
Hey, don't go getting mad, girl. You never specified quantities. :p

And this little excursion has gotten a lot more complicated all of a sudden. Hopefully they can navigate through the political and diplomatic minefields of a fey realm (and quite possibly literal minefields, if there's any echoes of the real world around.) Especially with such interesting companions in tow. I have no doubt someone will try to swipe one of the boys.

She hasn't diverged enough for Mercury to deserve better, nor (I suspect) for Paul to have much hope that better treatment would be worth the effort.

He's treated worse people better in trade deals. It's practically a defining trait of his that gives up way more than he needs to when making deals because it's easy for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back