• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I just had an idea for another reason the Reach are using the races they've conquered, aside from using them for parts.

The Reach method of conquest involves manipulation and having the races they want join them mostly willingly.

Any new race that they want to conquer may want to see how they've treated the other races they've "helped", so having the others around does wonders for their propaganda machine in convincing other races to invite them.

There are a lot of problems with the abomination of a tank that was in Fallout 4, but above everything else my biggest problem is that it has two cannons.

Having two cannons will pretty much always be actively detrimental. They take up more space for less firepower than if you just had one bigger cannon, and no matter how you handle the sights for the gunner you're going to have accuracy issues because at best you can only really line up one of the guns with the sights.

There are a lot of problems with the abomination of a tank that was in Fallout 4, but above everything else my biggest problem is that it has two cannons.

Having two cannons will pretty much always be actively detrimental. They take up more space for less firepower than if you just had one bigger cannon, and no matter how you handle the sights for the gunner you're going to have accuracy issues because at best you can only really line up one of the guns with the sights.
Do we know what they canonically fire? Because if it's a atomic annie shell then it doesn't matter so much, and if it's a plasma cannon then the second barrel probably helps.

One could be a DEW and the other a kinetic weapon to facilitate indirect fire. Two barrels make sense if we are talking about two different weapons.

It's not really big enough to be comparable to an Atomic Annie, which was a 280mm artillery piece comparable to a railway gun intended to hit things 20 miles away. Even if it was, you wouldn't want to fire one of those in the context of a tank battle. Those things fired atomic warheads as destructive as the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Tanks typically fight at ranges where that would be outright suicide.

Not that it couldn't fire some warheads closer in scale to Fallout's Fatman or something, but I can't find if it has any kind of special ammo like that. Only that the cannons on the Fallout 4 tank are supposedly 140mm. For a reference, the more or less standard size for main battle tanks in real life is 120mm. Rheinmetal is putting some serious work into arming tanks with a 130mm cannon, with the cannon apparently having a 50% longer kill range.

There have also been experiments with 140mm tank cannons, but I think I recall them having to use a two-part ammo system where each part was comparable in size to a 120mm shell. So actually trying to use them would eat up a lot of space for ammo, since you'd basically be cutting the capacity in half when compared to using a 120mm cannon.

Really, that's one of the problems with going above 120mm. The ammo ends up taking up so much space that you basically have to use an auto-loader, and it still ends up being more crowded for the tank's crew. Having a dual-cannon set up like the Fallout 4 tank just makes that worse.

I also don't see anything that would suggests they fire lasers or plasma. I think they're meant to be conventional cannons. But plasma grenades are a thing that exists, so plasma warheads for cannon shells could also be a thing.

Working Relationship (part 1) New
Working Relationship

April 18th, 2013
Morning

"Mitchell?"

My youngest/eldest grandson looks up from the scroll he's studying, distinctively black eyes alighting on my face for a moment before his mouth remembers to smile. He isn't a naturally sombre youth in the way that his brother is, but he is a good deal more nervous. I once asked Pavlos why -after appropriately bracing myself- and he said that it was because he reached his present physical maturity without the years of experience that a normal person would have. And as a consequence Mitchell doesn't have the instincts for social situations that other adults have.

I remember the conversation well, because he then paid me a rare compliment. He commended my wisdom in crafting Diana as a babe, rather than as a maiden. Honesty compelled me to tell him that not making her a babe never crossed my mind, which caused him to smile roguishly and exclaim that I made the decision by wise and well-honed instinct.

"Grandma?"

His eyes move from me to the scroll, and for a moment I wonder if he's found one of those scrolls. Much as I might wish it otherwise, Amazon erotica is.. generating a rather large part of our foreign currency income at the moment, and I'm not sure if it's due to the quality or the novelty. But, no, or at least not directly. It's Hippasia's work on familial relationships. I remember it well, because I was there when the knife-marks which repeats every few inches were made. Hippasia was a Discordian, and thankfully one of the ones who left for the mainland rather than one of those who sacrificed themselves. She entered the cult with that scroll; decrying the female group family structure and calling for a change to what Diana calls 'the nuclear family'. It was ridiculous; she was born on Themyscira. She'd never even seen one.

"What are you studying?"

"Families."

He answers in a relaxed frame of mind, but I see it in his face as he realises that I might be offended by what he said and begins to try to ward off my anger.

"I-. I mean-."

I take the bench next to him, then reach out to put my hand on his arm.

"It's alright, Mitchell. Calm yourself."

Gratifyingly, he does.

"It's-. Amazons have… Mothers."

"And we have fathers. They did not use to play a large role in our lives beyond our conception, but we-. Until Pavlos involved himself, every Amazon knew that she had a father and most knew who he was."

"But if they didn't have anything to do with… Ah, being a father, how come they all know?"

"To… Avoid incestuous pairings later in life."

"Oh. Ah, right." He frowns, his eyes avoiding me for a moment before alighting on where my hand remains on his forearm. Then he lifts his eyes to me. "Did..? You have any brothers?"

"No. At least, I do not believe so. For a very long time I believed that I was my mother's only child. Then Pavlos brought me word of Astarte. I suppose the fact that my memory was altered means that I may well have had other brothers or sisters than I no longer remember." I asked him to show me a picture of her face, in the hopes that it might stir my memories. It did not, though I could not deny the family resemblance.

"And your dad?"

"Ares."

He nods. "What kind of.. relationship do you have with him?"

"Ares has always been an unwelcome presence in my life. I have spoken to him directly on only a handful of occasions, and then it was to reject any of the plans he had made for me or for Diana."

"Because they were..? Um, bad? Or because fathers don't do that in Amazon culture?"

"Because they were bad." I sigh as I call the scene to mind. "He wanted me to carry on my mother's work. To continue her wars, her slaughter and subjugations. He was very unhappy that I didn't want to."

"Was he..? More unhappy because you were his daughter, or..? Do you think he'd have been unhappy anyway."

"Having me as a daughter was a point of ego for him. He was more unhappy because someone he saw as an extension of himself wasn't doing what he wanted them to." I shake my head. "He bears no love for me, and I bear none for him."

"Do you think..?"

And I watch as his fears and uncertainties defeat him, and his eyes go back to the scroll as his mouth refuses to continue.

"Do I think what, Mitchell?" I pat his arm. "I won't be angry."

"Do you think..? You could have had a relationship with him? Maybe… If you'd fought… I don't know, big monsters or something? Would he have been okay with that?"

"Ares is not Athena, Mitchell. Ares stands for the most brutal slaughters. Morals, goals, even martial skill, are second to the slaughter and to humans becoming savage monsters. That is what he revels in."

"You don't think he could meet you halfway?"

"Would you accept a sword that would only cut the skin of your enemy?"

He nods. "Yes? That sounds really useful. You'd never have to worry about causing an internal injury by mistake. And if you were sparring-."

I pat his arm, and he stops talking. "Would Ares?"

"I guess not. So it was just… Be exactly what he wants you to be, or he didn't want to know."

"No, he knew. He took it as a personal insult. I would say that we have a worse relationship than the one he has with Amazons who are not his daughter."

Though still better than the one the Heraklya have with their father. But I don't understand why Mitchell is so concerned.

"I thought that you and Conner had a better relationship with Clark now. Has something happened?"

"No!" Mitchell emphatically shakes his head. "He's great! I was thinking about our other father."

"Lex Luthor?" He nods. "I thought that he was your brother's father, but not yours."

He shrugs. "He had me made. I don't have any of his genetics… I mean, I guess my father is Jor-El. But I can't talk to him."

I take a moment within my head to hypocritically chastise my daughter's reticence in the field of romance.

"Do you want to talk to Lex Luthor?"

"I don't know? I know he's… A criminal, and he made me so that he'd have a weapon to use against Superman, and there's… Basically no chance. But Paul tried to.. persuade him to stop being evil, and he thought he nearly had it."

"Pavlos… Is a remarkable young man, but I have known his judgements at times to be a… A little…"

"Weird?"

"Outlandish."

"Yeah." Mitchell nods. "But you know what he says about evildoers?"

"Which thing in particular are you thinking about?"

"You should either try and make them better… Or you should kill them so they can't hurt anyone else. Or…" He shifts awkwardly, then manages to look me in the eyes. "Get a god you know to.. hit them real hard with a giant hammer?"

I still can't stop myself smiling, though I imagine if it had happened to anyone else it would be a smile that Ares would approve of.

"It has been known to work, but I do not recommend it for you. Am I to understand then that you want to redeem your father?"

He nods. "I'd like to try."

I nod hesitantly. "I think that this is something that you should speak to your mother about."

Last edited:
Working Relationship

April 18th, 2013
Morning

"Mitchell?"
Ah, and a new episode begins, with a Hippolyta chapter? Are we going to be getting a whole episode of alternate PoVs, perhaps. Catching up on Earth while OL is off dealing with Reach stuff? Certainly wouldn't mind that.

My youngest/eldest grandson looks up from the scroll he's studying, distinctively black eyes alighting on my face for a moment before his mouth remembers to smile. He isn't a naturally sombre youth in the way that his brother is, but he is a good deal more nervous. I once asked Pavlos why -after appropriately bracing myself- and he said that it was because he reached his present physical maturity without the years of experience that a normal person would have. And as a consequence Mitchell doesn't have the instincts for social situations that other adults have.
Only programmed responses to social stimuli, like a meat robot. And that's assuming that was even done for him once they realised he was less stable.

I remember the conversation well, because he then paid me a rare compliment. He commended by wisdom in crafting Diana as a babe, rather than as a maiden. Honesty compelled me to tell him that not making her a babe never crossed my mind, which caused him to smile roguishly and exclaim that I made the decision by wise and well-honed instinct.
Though I suspect said babe was at least not completely new-born age. Lets her skip over the whole 'long sleepless nights' part of motherhood while still having the adorable little one phase.

'Hera forgive me, but I still feel a twinge of pain every time I heard that word. I still feel too young for that...' 😏

His eyes move from me to the scroll, and for a moment I wonder if he's found once of those scrolls. Much as I might wish it otherwise, Amazon erotica is.. generating a rather large part of our foreign currency income at the moment, and I'm not sure if it's due to the quality or the novelty. But, no, or at least not directly. It's Hippasia's work on familial relationships. I remember it well, because I was there when the knife-marks which repeats every few inches were made. Hippasia was a Discordian, and thankfully one of the ones who left for the mainland rather than one of those who sacrificed themselves. She entered the cult with that scroll; decrying the female group family structure and calling for a change to what Diana calls 'the nuclear family'. It was ridiculous; she was born on Themyscira. She'd never even seen one.
On the upside, the mere existence of their library of ancient hellenic tales and songs is probably doing wonders for literary historians. I mean, would they have more complete bodies of work from such ancient legends as Sappho?

"What are you studying?"

"Families."
At least this scroll doesn't involve the act of making them. I bet Mitchell took a look at some of those, turned red and promptly put them right back. 😘

He answers in a relaxed frame of mind, but I see it in his face as he realises that I might be offended by what he said and begins to try to ward off my anger.

"I-. I mean-."
That lack of social experience showing full force.

I take the bench next to him, then reach out to put my hand on his arm.

"It's alright, Mitchell. Calm yourself."
Ah, what some young men wouldn't give to be in that position. Fortunately he's still at that innocent stage that he'll probably be confused if he ever mentions this to his friends.

Gratifyingly, he does.

"It's-. Amazons have… Mothers."
Well, everyone has a mother... Except him and Kon. is that what this is about, I wonder? Or is it something else...

"And we have fathers. They did not used to play a large role in our lives beyond our conception, but we-. Until Pavlos involved himself, every Amazon knew that she had a father and most knew who he was."

"But if they didn't have anything to do with… Ah, being a father, how come they all know?"
Ironically, she's one of the few Amazons who can talk about her father in the present tense, given her partly-divine origin.

"Oh. Ah, right." He frowns, his eyes avoiding me for a moment before alighting on where my hand remains on his forearm. Then he lifts his eyes to me. "Did..? You have any brothers?"
That could be a bit awkward. Meet a handsome lad, potentially decide to bed him, only to learn that the two of you share a great-great-grandfather or something.

"No. At least, I do not believe so. For a very long time I believed that I was my mother's only child. Then Pavlos brought me word of Astarte. I suppose the fact that my memory was altered means that I may well have had other brothers or sisters than I no longer remember." I asked him to show me a picture of her face, in the hopes that it might stir my memories. It did not, though I could not deny the family resemblance.
Honestly that was something of a mercy. Imagine growing up remembering that you had an older sister who went away to protect everyone. Imagine the shadow that would leave on you, even if it wasn't obvious.

"And your dad?"

"Ares."

He nods. "What kind of.. relationship do you have with him?"
As little of one as possible, given he's practically the cultural enemy of her people.

"Ares has always been an unwelcome presence in my life. I have spoken to him directly on only a handful of occasions, and then it was to reject any of the plans he had made for me or for Diana."

"Because they were..? Um, bad? Or because fathers don't do that in Amazon culture?"
Unless Ares is very much not like his usual DC character, I would say downright evil bad.

"Because they were bad." I sigh as I call the scene to mind. "He wanted me to carry on my mother's work. To continue her wars, her slaughter and subjugations. He was very unhappy that I didn't want to."

"Was he..? More unhappy because you were his daughter, or..? Do you think he'd have been unhappy anyway."
That's a good question. If she had been a warmonger, would he have been silently judging her tactics? Her aggression? Her choices of target, even?

"Having me as a daughter was a point of ego for him. He was more unhappy because someone he saw as an extension of himself wasn't doing what he wanted them to." I shake my head. "He bears no love for me, and I bear none for him."

"Do you think..?"
Ah, the kind of parent that treats children as accessories, not people in their own right. Those are never pleasant childhoods.

And I watch as his fears and uncertainties defeat him, and his eyes go back to the scroll as his mouth refuses to continue.

"Do I think what, Mitchell?" I pat his arm. "I won't be angry."
Ah. I doubt Ares has been whispering in his ear. Something lingering from the Anti-Life, or is this closer to home?

"Do you think..? You could have had a relationship with him? Maybe… If you'd fought… I don't know, big monsters or something? Would he have been okay with that?"

"Ares is not Athena, Mitchell. Ares stands for the most brutal slaughters. Morals, goals, even martial skill, are second to the slaughter and to humans becoming savage monsters. That is what he revels in."
While that is a strongly Athenian viewpoint, most hellenic city-states did reasonably consider his kind of battle to be bad. If I understand it right, Sparta was the most kindly-disposed towards him, and even they didn't like him that much.

"You don't think he could meet you halfway?"

"Would you accept a sword that would only cut the skin of your enemy?"
...To be fair, some shallow cuts can bleed like motherfuckers. Especially head wounds.

He nods. "Yes? That sounds really useful. You'd never have to worry about causing an internal injury by mistake. And if you were sparring-."

I pat his arm, and he stops talking. "Would Ares?"
😒 Somehow, I don't think the answer is 'yes'.

"I guess not. So it was just… Be exactly what he wants you to be, or he didn't want to know."

"No, he knew. He took it as a personal insult. I would say that we have a worse relationship than the one he has with Amazons who are not his daughter."
Which honestly does explain some things about his comics portrayal, and his adversarial relationship with Diana.

Though still better than the one the Heraklya have with their father. But I don't understand why Mitchell is so concerned.

"I thought that you and Conner had a better relationship with Clark now. Has something happened?"
So, has Supes been thinking of them more like younger brothers or cousins than biological offspring, or..?

"No!" Mitchell emphatically shakes his head. "He's great! I was thinking about our other father."

"Lex Luthor?" He nods. "I thought that he was your brother's father, but not yours."
That's a good point, But Mitchell probably still thinks of him that way.

He shrugs. "He had me made. I don't have any of his genetics… I mean, I guess my father is Jor-El. But I can't talk to him."

I take a moment within my head to hypocritically chastise my daughter's reticence in the field of romance.
Now, now. At least Diana has a fairly chaste lifestyle. Or is that the problem? She needs to date a nice guy who can... Shall we say 'loosen her up a little'?

"Do you want to talk to Lex Luthor?"

"I don't know? I know he's… A criminal, and he made me so that he'd have a weapon to use against Superman, and there's… Basically no chance. But Paul tried to.. persuade him to stop being evil, and he thought he nearly had it."
And you think you can succeed where he failed? ...While wearing the face of his self-declared mortal enemy? 🤔

"Pavlos… Is a remarkable young man, but I have know his judgements at time to be a… A little…"

"Weird?"
Well, you said it, not her. But yes.

"Outlandish."

"Yeah." Mitchell nods. "But you know what he says about evildoers?"
Besides the 'rejoicing when he finds evil' bit?

"Which thing in particular are you thinking about?"

"You should either try and make them better… Or you should kill them so they can't hurt anyone else. Or…" He shifts awkwardly, then manages to look me in the eyes. "Get a god you know to.. hit them real hard with a giant hammer?"
Sadly, killing Lex isn't an option. Nor is divine smiting.

I still can't stop myself smiling, though I imagine if it had happened to anyone else it would be a smile that Ares would approve of.

"It has been known to work, but I do not recommend it for you. Am I to understand then that you want to redeem your father?"
Talk about setting a lofty goal for himself.

He nods. "I'd like to try."

I nod hesitantly. "I think that this is something that you should speak to your mother about."
If nothing else, she can make it clear the challenge it would be.

Off to a strong start. If this were the opening scene of an actual episode, I'd definitely watch the whole thing. Though most of the people Mitchell could talk to will probably point out how improbable it is he'll succeed, and how tough it will be to get through to Lex. Still, if he can... Imagine how much good Lex could do if it weren't for his ego?

I know the mission with the Effigies was relatively successful and all, but it feels like the main subject was left without resolution. Assuming this episode is about something else, of course.

That could be a bit awkward. Meet a handsome lad, potentially decide to bed him, only to learn that the two of you share a great-great-grandfather or something.

If the most you share is a great-great-grandfather that's practically nothing in my eyes, so I don't think people in those ancient times would have a problem. In fact, I don't think they would have an issue even if they shared a Grandfather.

Paul -> Pavlos, I think? Unless they found a way around the name-interdiction. On a related note, any clues as to what this episode will be about?

Paul -> Pavlos, I think? Unless they found a way around the name-interdiction.

Name interdiction? People can say his name. The Amazons call him Pavlos because that's how they translated his name to their Greek. Mitchell (the one that's speaking in your quote) calls him Paul, same as his friends and other members of the Team.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to see Hippolyta and Diana's reactions to learning of her existence from Paul.

it feels like the main subject was left without resolution

i get what you're saying, as i have that feeling too. i had assumed that the resolved subject in this case was Effigy Prime more or less coming into his leadership, and forming that "colleague" relationship with OL. we don't have to worry about the insecurities in his head anymore... or at least that's how i'm choosing to interpret it.

as for this scene with Hippolyta and Match- okay Zoat, you've piqued my interest. i like the way you've created the Amazonian royal family with Con and Mitchell here, so i'm curious if throwing Lex into the mix might have any larger ramifications.

question: Superboy received the blessings of Helios to add a God-buff to his powers. has Match received, or shown any interest in, such a thing? hypothetically, what part of the pantheon do you see him gravitating towards?

Last edited:
She entered the cult with that scroll; decrying the female group family structure and calling for a change to what Diana calls 'the nuclear family'. It was ridiculous; she was born on Themyscira. She'd never even seen one.

Hey, just because someone hasn't seen something that doesn't mean that they can't see the problems in their societal structure.

They did not used to play a large

"use"

But if they didn't have anything to do with… Ah, being a father, how come they all know?"

Yeah, mortals need to be careful with that.

Did..? You have any brothers?"

"No. At least, I do not believe so.

Well Ares did have sons.

Do you think..? You could have had a relationship with him? Maybe… If you'd fought… I don't know, big monsters or something? Would he have been okay with that?"

Yeah, even if she spent her time just fighting psychopaths and demons, Ares would have still been angry since she's reducing conflict for the future.

"Pavlos… Is a remarkable young man, but I have know his judgements at time to be a… A little…"

"Weird?"

"Outlandish

I'd go with crazy, but Hippolyta's can also work.

Well Ares did have sons

Deimos and Phobos iirc, the horror and panic of war. Not nice folks, and got lumped in with their father for being seen as gods you pray to be spared from rather then prayed to for boons.
Hippolyta's familiar connections tend to change between versions, the dcau strongly implying that she and Hades 'sculpted' Diana together and they had a more romantic connection. Where as the more recent animated feature had her sire a son with Ares only to slay the grown man for his war mongering ways. Much like Hades, Ares gets very different motivations and connections.
The WTR version of Ares didn't get much screen time but falls clearly in the asshole side of things, and Hades is very loyal to his wife. Wonder what the various alternative universe Amazon's would make of each other's situations.

Name interdiction? People can say his name. The Amazons call him Pavlos because that's how they translated his name to their Greek. Mitchell (the one that's speaking in your quote) calls him Paul, same as his friends and other members of the Team.
Sorry I've been awake too long and got something backwards. 😣

Honestly, I don't get the fascination with giving Luthor these endless chances and effort. If he ever wanted to reform on his own, great, but maybe he's actually evil and not just mistaken. What makes Luthor better and more worthy of effort than Vandal Savage or Jade's father or plenty of other people the SI hasn't tried very hard to reform?

Honestly, I don't get the fascination with giving Luthor these endless chances and effort. If he ever wanted to reform on his own, great, but maybe he's actually evil and not just mistaken. What makes Luthor better and more worthy of effort than Vandal Savage or Jade's father or plenty of other people the SI hasn't tried very hard to reform?
Here's my guess: He's a comic book genius so he's very useful to have as an ally.

Liked the new chapter, I did think it was going to be another alternate universe Paul, where he arrived in Ancient Greece and met the Amazons, similar to the play. But I am happy to have time to hang out with Mitchell.

Last edited:
Liked the new chapter, I did think it was going to be another alternate universe Paul, where he arrived in Ancient Greece and met the Amazons, similar to the play. But I am happy to have time to hang out with Mitchell.
Technically the Ancestor already did that. One of the changes he made was convincing Achilles to not go to Troy, resulting in Troy's victory.

Because the SI thinks Luthor is hot. Hasn't come up in a while because he's in a monogamous relationship, but early Paul came across as pretty strongly attracted to Lex.

... which, hey, fair enough. Attractive female villains seem to get a lot more opportunities for second chances, after all.

Technically the Ancestor already did that. One of the changes he made was convincing Achilles to not go to Troy, resulting in Troy's victory.
No, the Achaeans still won.
Noumenia, Boedromiōn, about-

So I decided that I would not go, to serve a man and a cause I cared nothing for. Patroclus who cared for such things more than I took the Myrmidons to Troy. You know how that went: they defeated the force outside the walls before gaining entry by trickery. Prince Hector's counterattack gave the people of Troy time to flee, burning their food stores as they went. Proud King Menelaus had to eat his own boots and scabbard, and returned home little more than a skeleton and without his wife.

It doesn't get said often enough. Mr Zoat, if you write a book, I will buy it. I know I would enjoy it, even if you write a protagonist I disagree with. You have honed quite the set of skills.

Amazon erotica is.. generating a rather large part of our foreign currency income at the moment, and I'm not sure if it's due to the quality or the novelty.

How the hell is there an economy for that a month or two after the anti-life collapsed civilization?? Like, the amazons don't have wifi and even if they did global communications are still struggling and even if they used paper how the hell are they shipping that anywhere when boats are needed for transporting essentials and even if they did that how the hell is money a thing in the world rather than barter and maybe Leaguebucks.

It would've made a lot more sense if those sales were from before the anti life

I wonder how the god of eunuchs is doing....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back