• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Honestly, I don't get the fascination with giving Luthor these endless chances and effort. If he ever wanted to reform on his own, great, but maybe he's actually evil and not just mistaken. What makes Luthor better and more worthy of effort than Vandal Savage or Jade's father or plenty of other people the SI hasn't tried very hard to reform?
Luthor's better because he's actually covered his tracks such that they don't have the needed evidence to actually go after him.

How the hell is there an economy for that a month or two after the anti-life collapsed civilization?? Like, the amazons don't have wifi and even if they did global communications are still struggling and even if they used paper how the hell are they shipping that anywhere when boats are needed for transporting essentials and even if they did that how the hell is money a thing in the world rather than barter and maybe Leaguebucks.

It would've made a lot more sense if those sales were from before the anti life
She doesn't mean 'right now'. Hippolyta is over three thousand years old. She means, 'since we started engaging more with Man's World'.

On the upside, the mere existence of their library of ancient hellenic tales and songs is probably doing wonders for literary historians. I mean, would they have more complete bodies of work from such ancient legends as Sappho?
This would have been back when they put on the play and the Queen of Fables intervened, but they do in fact have the complete works of Sappho. Paul mentioned to them how the rest of the world lost that as part of his pitch to get them off the island.
That's somewhat moot now but /shrug.

Because the SI thinks Luthor is hot. Hasn't come up in a while because he's in a monogamous relationship, but early Paul came across as pretty strongly attracted to Lex.

... which, hey, fair enough. Attractive female villains seem to get a lot more opportunities for second chances, after all.

To be fair, the Renegade did have a detailed overview for the members of the Light he wanted to redeem. He was more willing to redeem Ra's than Savage - and he was still happy to assimilate Ra's for the death laser genocide plans, and leaving a daughter in a Nazi concentration camp.
Savage, meanwhile, was a child molester. A pedophile.

Meanwhile, while Luthor has harmed Kon, it was mostly by making him, which is something that Paul likes. He never did his 'shields that, like, boost your kryptonian dna - those are a thing' bit here, because Kon got other buffs - and in the Renegade timeline it came to naught.
Plus, Kon got his mind checked by Megan in this timeline, so Luthor never tried direct manipulation beyond basic social stuff. "I'm your father."

Meanwhile, Sportsmaster abused Artemis (Paul's friend), Jade (his girlfriend), and he wasn't implied to have been great to Paula (who he meets for dinner and stuff). All of these are people Paul knows and cares about deeply.

Finally, while many many many many incarnations of Luthor are Stupid Evil in terms of alignment - see The Black Ring for his Superman-hatred preventing him from using the Zone, or whichever version cured his sister's cancer just to give it to her again - this one isn't blatantly evil/incompetent (and the Renegade timeline shows him getting better!)
More importantly, when Paul meets him, Luthor's impressive. He's likable, and sociable, and he outmaneuvers Paul (even with his meta-knowledge) to recruit people - and when Paul looks at him with his emotional vision, which is just how he sees after two or three months in… Luthor genuinely wants to make the world a better place.
He's just… kind of himself when it comes to actually doing that. A supervillain… but a business-based manipulator so far, instead of an idiot who gets in a suit and punches Doomsday, then yells "I'm supposed to win!" like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

And that's true to Young Justice - the mask of pure competence apparently doesn't slip until Season 2, according to TV tropes - and he was actively fucking with Superboy in Season 1!

Starbate (part 1) New
3rd November 1999
03:46 GMT
Because local time isn't Earth time and goa'uld aren't big on precise timekeeping.

Second Prime Abrax salutes fist-to-chest as Lord Mahes enters the courtyard, followed by his First Prime. Lord Agni smiles when he sees him, and walks over to greet him.

"Mahes! Have you been innovating?"

Mahes grins as he approaches, then grabs him by the shoulders. Then they hug each other, which is… Just about the most ungoa'uld thing I've ever seen. I mean, sure, I fixed the lesion's in Agni's brain when he turned up for the meeting, but that wouldn't change how Mahes behaved.

"No!" They separate, and Mahes pulls Agni in my direction gesturing to me. "I got someone to do it for me!"

"You'd need to." His eyes take in Abrax and then move to me.

"This is Lord Mammon. He has many interesting ideas. We're here to see if any of them are actually any good."

I nod. "I would not waste your time. If-."

Stomping armoured feet sound from the other direction, and-.

"Lady Heset?" I… Frown. I didn't even know that she was on Bubastis. I certainly didn't invite her here. I mean, we're feeding back to Bastet later-. "I… Didn't expect you."

Her First Prime takes up station behind her as she moves to the edge of the observation area. "Lord Bastet asked me to observe on her behalf. She has high expectations for your work."

"Alright then. Second Prime?"

He breaths in. "Jaffa! Kree!"

And out march our training squads, each arrayed in different armour. Mahes and Agni both start staring at the new armour types, focusing on each of the points of novelty. Heset's eyes just sort of rove over the whole lot. I… Actually don't know how old she is, but it's a little surprising that she's as ignorant of military matters as that implies. Faking it, perhaps? Or more interested in the political implications?

I.. suppose that it doesn't really matter. Even if she lies to Bastet, that's easy enough to fix by just showing Bastet my results directly.

"Now, as you can see, this is the standard Jaffa armour. It is included for the sake of comparison. This-" I continue down the line. "-looks similar, but it's actually my recreation of the armour Supreme System Lord Ra issued to his soldiers. Step forwards, Jaffa."

They stamp forward, Ma'Toks at the ready.

"There are several differences between the two." Both Jaffa engage their helmets, lamassu masks extending over their heads. "Ra's soldiers have integrated sensors and air purifiers, sound and light protection. Their Ma'Toks are designed for more powerful energy discharges, though they do exhaust their batteries a little faster."

I nod to Abrax, and he releases a pair of test drones. Small balls with weak anti-gravity drives and force fields, they serve as a decent test target.

"We've reduced the power output for this demonstration. Fire."

The Jaffa raise their weapons at the viffing drones. They've both practiced this exercise before, dozens of times with a variety of weapons. But whichever of them used the weapons and armour, this contest always had the same result.

WOOMPF-WOOMPF! WOOMPF-WOOMPF!

Ma'Toks aren't great against small fast-moving targets. They're slow firing, and the plasma moves relatively slowly.

When using the same weapons, these two Jaffa are about as accurate as each other.

The chance of them hitting a slow moving target is about equal. The issue is that when the drone dodges out of the normal helmet wearer's field of view, he has to turn to reacquire it. The Jaffa with Ra's helmet on doesn't. He knows where it is even outside of his field of view. In theory he could just point the staff without turning, but everyone found that so counter-instinctual that we gave up making it standard procedure. Even so, he's more accurate and acquires the dodging target faster.

Agni looks curious as the Jaffa new helmet quickly acquires a lead. "How much more powerful is that Ma'Tok?"

"Jaffa, shoot the wall. Full power."

The both lower their Ma'Toks and fire.

WOOMPF! WOOMPF-BOOM!

The normal Ma'Tak leaves a blackened scar in the stone. The more powerful version punches a hole, sends stones flying and giving us a view of the interior corridor.

An extremely nervous chambermaid peers around the edge of the hole. I wave my right hand dismissively.

"Carry on with your duties."

Agni grins. "I like it!"

"Why?" I shrug as he frowns at me. "Jaffa, switch."

The Jaffa with the regular staff puts it down and draws his Zat'nik'tel. They both resume firing, and while the Jaffa with Ra's helmet is more accurate, the increased rate of fire means that the Jaffa with the Zat'nik'tel is scoring hits more quickly.

"The heavy staff is more destructive, but against most targets it's inefficient. One shot from a Zat'nik'tel will disable a Jaffa in normal armour, and the second shot kills. We ran wargames where one squad would use Ma'Tok and the other would use Zat'nik'tel, and outside of long range engagements over open ground, the squad using Zat'nik'tel always came out ahead."

"Surely their armour would weaken the impact?"

I nod. "It does." Sort of. It's more that the first hit isn't quite so disabling; the second hit still reliably kills the target. "But it's still disabling, and with the higher rate of fire the reduced lethality per shot doesn't matter."

I point to the Jaffa with the heavy staff, and send him back to line. Another Jaffa comes forwards. This one is wearing a far heavier version of the normal armour. It's not power armour, but the armour plates are about as thick as it's practical for a Jaffa to wear. On the left arm is a tower shield of similar thickness, and in his right he carries a Ma'Tak. He stands a short distance away from the Jaffa with the Zat'nik'tel and points his shield at him.

"Fire."

The Zat'nik'tel pulses, bright crackling beam hitting the shield and doing absolutely nothing.

"This sort of armour is effectively immune to the Zat'nik'tel. It's also close to the form of armour our armies wore before we learned to work trinium well enough to create chain mail. Switch weapon."

The Jaffa reattaches his Zat'nik'tel to his bracer, then crouches down to recover his Ma'Tok. He fires, the bolts knocking the heavy armour Jaffa back a little but not appearing to cause an injury.

"The downside is that it's not practical to wield a normal Ma'Tok at the same time, and the wearer's agility is dramatically reduced." The armour-wearer tries balancing his Ma'Tok on the shield, but it's clearly awkward. "Combining it with a Zat'nik'tel works, but it makes things a little awkward when they face other heavy armour wearers. They can't hurt each other. But if we combine the two…"

The basic Jaffa raises his Ma'Tok in two hands and moves behind the heavy Jaffa, who ducks slightly behind his shield. He's effectively protecting his colleague, who is free to fire back.

"The armour will allow the wearer to survive a hit from a staff cannon, but they will be disabled by the hit. Thank you, gentlemen."

They both come to attention, and then return to their place in the line.

"The next is something inspired by the Tau'ri. It's called 'camouflage'."

3rd November 1999
Because local time isn't Earth time and goa'uld aren't big on precise timekeeping.

Second Prime Abrax salutes fist-to-chest as Lord Mahes enters the courtyard, followed by his First Prime. Lord Agni smiles when he sees him, and walks over to greet him.
And a Mammon scene from the (maybe- Not-)Movie Stargate timeline. Quite a change of gears. Now, where did we last see him... Ah, yes, interacting with the 'fake' SG-1 on the android planet, wasn't it? Busy fellow, if he's making a presentation to his peers.

"Mahes! Have you been innovating?"

Mahes grins as he approaches, then grabs him by the shoulders. Then they hug each other, which is… Just about the most ungoa'uld thing I've ever seen. I mean, sure, I fixed the lesion's in Agni's brain when he turned up for the meeting, but that wouldn't change how Mahes behaved.
...I take it they aren't usually so jovial with each other.

"No!" They separate, and Mahes pulls Agni in my direction gesturing to me. "I got someone to do it for me!"

"You'd need to."
His eyes take in Abrax and then move to me.
Ah, the true exercise of power: Outsourcing.

"This is Lord Mammon. He has many interesting ideas. We're here to see if any of them are actually any good."

I nod. "I would not waste your time. If-."
It helps that he's not fixated on using only their historical technology path.

Stomping armoured feet sound from the other direction, and-.

"Lady Heset?" I… Frown. I didn't even know that she was on Bubastis. I certainly didn't invite her here. I mean, we're feeding back to Bastet later-. "I… Didn't expect you."
Hmm... Bastet doing some spy-checking? OR perhaps the Tok'ra agent keeping an eye on the atypical fellow.

Her First Prime takes up station behind her as she moves to the edge of the observation area. "Lord Bastet asked me to observe on her behalf. She has high expectations for your work."

"Alright then. Second Prime?"

He breaths in. "Jaffa! Kree!"
Ah, the royal voice. Must be so hard on their throats. 😏

And out march our training squads, each arrayed in different armour. Mahes and Agni both start staring at the new armour types, focusing on each of the points of novelty. Heset's eyes just sort of rove over the whole lot. I… Actually don't know how old she is, but it's a little surprising that she's as ignorant of military matters as that implies. Faking it, perhaps? Or more interested in the political implications?
Or maybe she has a cybernetic eye with a built-in camera she's using to record the various models? I mean, I don't know if that's a thing...

I.. suppose that it doesn't really matter. Even if she lies to Bastet, that's easy enough to fix by just showing Bastet my results directly.

"Now, as you can see, this is the standard Jaffa armour. It is included for the sake of comparison. This-" I continue down the line. "-looks similar, but it's actually my recreation of the armour Supreme System Lord Ra issued to his soldiers. Step forwards, Jaffa."
Ah, yes, the kind with the movie budget for animatronics in the head.

They stamp forward, Ma'Toks at the ready.

"There are several differences between the two." Both Jaffa engage their helmets, lamassu masks extending over their heads. "Ra's soldiers have integrated sensors and air purifiers, sound and light protection. Their Ma'Toks are designed for more powerful energy discharges, though they do exhaust their batteries a little faster."
Lamassu... An interesting choice. I'm not hearing anything about improved body armour, though.

I nod to Abrax, and he releases a pair of test drones. Small balls with weak anti-gravity drives and force fields, they serve as a decent test target.

"We've reduced the power output for this demonstration. Fire."
Ah, a classic for good reason.

The Jaffa raise their weapons at the viffing drones. They've both practiced this exercise before, dozens of times with a variety of weapons. But whichever of them used the weapons and armour, this contest always had the same result.

I'm guessing the upgraded guy always gets cleaner hits?

Ma'Toks aren't great against small fast-moving targets. They're slow firing, and the plasma moves relatively slowly.

Peril of weapons designed for intimidation as much as damage.

When using the same weapons, these two Jaffa are about as accurate as each other.

The impressive thing is if they're almost in sync, but the upgraded guy is that little bit faster. In real combat, that speed edge would be critical.

The chance of them hitting a slow moving target is about equal. The issue is that when the drone dodges out of the normal helmet wearer's field of view, he has to turn to reacquire it. The Jaffa with Ra's helmet on doesn't. He knows where it is even outside of his field of view. In theory he could just point the staff without turning, but everyone found that so counter-instinctual that we gave up making it standard procedure. Even so, he's more accurate and acquires the dodging target faster.
Although shooting without looking gives a much more fearsome aura. 'I can kill you without even acknowledging you...'

Agni looks curious as the Jaffa new helmet quickly acquires a lead. "How much more powerful is that Ma'Tok?"
Heh. This should be good.

"Jaffa, shoot the wall. Full power."

The both lower their Ma'Toks and fire.

WOOMPF! WOOMPF-BOOM!
Just the sound alone says it is good.

The normal Ma'Tak leaves a blackened scar in the stone. The more powerful version punches a hole, sends stones flying and giving us a view of the interior corridor.

An extremely nervous chambermaid peers around the edge of the hole. I wave my right hand dismissively.
Perfect comedic timing. Though I shudder for the state of her undergarments after that shock.

"Carry on with your duties."

Agni grins. "I like it!"
Oh, I don't think he's done yet, flame-boy.

"Why?" I shrug as he frowns at me. "Jaffa, switch."

The Jaffa with the regular staff puts it down and draws his Zat'nik'tel. They both resume firing, and while the Jaffa with Ra's helmet is more accurate, the increased rate of fire means that the Jaffa with the Zat'nik'tel is scoring hits more quickly.
Naturally, the pistol is faster than the long-arm.

"The heavy staff is more destructive, but against most targets it's inefficient. One shot from a Zat'nik'tel will disable a Jaffa in normal armour, and the second shot kills. We ran wargames where one squad would use Ma'Tok and the other would use Zat'nik'tel, and outside of long range engagements over open ground, the squad using Zat'nik'tel always came out ahead."
Especially in urban environments, I bet. The enhanced senses would be quite the hack in those situations.

"Surely their armour would weaken the impact?"

I nod. "It does." Sort of. It's more that the first hit isn't quite so disabling; the second hit still reliably kills the target. "But it's still disabling, and with the higher rate of fire the reduced lethality per shot doesn't matter."
Applying modern logic to their old-fashioned tactics. It doesn't matter how hard you hit if you hit more often.

I point to the Jaffa with the heavy staff, and send him back to line. Another Jaffa comes forwards. This one is wearing a far heavier version of the normal armour. It's not power armour, but the armour plates are about as thick as it's practical for a Jaffa to wear. On the left arm is a tower shield of similar thickness, and in his right he carries a Ma'Tak. He stands a short distance away from the Jaffa with the Zat'nik'tel and points his shield at him.
The Zat works on something akin to electrical current, yes? Presumably the shield is insulated against it?

"Fire."

The Zat'nik'tel pulses, bright crackling beam hitting the shield and doing absolutely nothing.
Heh. Tower shields for the win.

"This sort of armour is effectively immune to the Zat'nik'tel. It's also close to the form of armour our armies wore before we learned to work trinium well enough to create chain mail. Switch weapon."

The Jaffa reattaches his Zat'nik'tel to his bracer, then crouches down to recover his Ma'Tok. He fires, the bolts knocking the heavy armour Jaffa back a little but not appearing to cause an injury.
Extremely durable, though I expect only the biggest lads can avoid being forced back too much.

"The downside is that it's not practical to wield a normal Ma'Tok at the same time, and the wearer's agility is dramatically reduced." The armour-wearer tries balancing his Ma'Tok on the shield, but it's clearly awkward. "Combining it with a Zat'nik'tel works, but it makes things a little awkward when they face other heavy armour wearers. They can't hurt each other. But if we combine the two…"
You couldn't make a notch in the shield for the staff to rest on... Turn it into a mounted weapon, of sorts? Edit: Ah, never mind, it does have one. But hauling the weight of the shield definitely makes aiming trickier. On the other hand...

The basic Jaffa raises his Ma'Tok in two hands and moves behind the heavy Jaffa, who ducks slightly behind his shield. He's effectively protecting his colleague, who is free to fire back.

"The armour will allow the wearer to survive a hit from a staff cannon, but they will be disabled by the hit. Thank you, gentlemen."
...Who says they need to fight alone? 🤔 It might reduce their overall firepower a little, but not losing soldiers in engagements is more potent a force multiplier.

They both come to attention, and then return to their place in the line.

"The next is something inspired by the Tau'ri. It's called 'camouflage'."
Ah, a concept almost alien to Goa'uld tactics. After all, they want to be seen, to intimidate. I wonder how the Jaffa using it feel?

Bringing the tactics of Bastet's armies closer to the modern day, eh? Might make battles with Earth trickier, but modern soldiers would look at that formation and just go 'Grenades!' And so far, I don't think most Goa'uld care too much about them, do they? If nothing else, it makes sure Mammon's allies have an advantage over their rivals. Bastet can be reasonable, where others can't.

Last edited:
And we visit everyone's favourite snake head, adopting combat innovations for the system lords, or at least the saner ones.

Hmm....the tactics are....well a palisade shield carrier with a crossbowman/musketeer following was fairly standard for the middle ages to the renaissance , mind you they didn't quite have the durability or damage output that this space age setup would have but it's similar in concept and simple enough to teach the Jaffa. The rate of fire issues are important, though I do believe we've seen at least Master Bre'tec pull off something far more rapid, but his might just have been a custom job. Back to the shield thing, a similar issue came up with modern SWAT teams that use shields, where they found their semi auto pistol slide would catch when shooting around the edge of the things, so they put in request for a Revolver that wouldn't jam like that.

Hmm....there were those training weapons that Apophis's troops had....since they emulated human weapons without the side effect of death I assume they could be made in some more functional. More as a high fire rate low armour pen tool for area denial or alternative to the Zats, or maybe as combination weapon where you stun them with the high fire rate, and then staff blast them once they are down...maybe underslung with those short handy staff weapons the rogue Jaffa from the later seasons had. So long as you get SOMETHING with some decent ergonomics for actually Aiming a weapon, for the love of John Browning.

As for the Camo, I'm actually tempted to use the 40k argument for Space Marines being brightly coloured.....you are INTENDED to see them coming. It's a form of psychological warfare. Having a foe that not only shows up wearing a tank's worth of armor that he has such faith in that they'll march forward with a COME SHOOT ME SIGN of a paint job, while bellowing war cries at a volume that would shatter your ear drums is sort of the point with using them as a Strategic weapon as well as a tactical one.

That said I tend to be far more fond of the Reasonable Marine methods of using proper camo and stealth. There's certainly room for both in a proper army, rather then the walking firelines we see of the Jaffa in the show.

Good update, all told.

Wait a minute. Is a Controller about to call Mammon? During his big presentation? Oh dear.

Considering this Paul absorbed millennia of memories, I suspect he would not recognize a controller's species at all, just recognizing another version of Lantern tech.

Wait a minute. Is a Controller about to call Mammon? During his big presentation? Oh dear.

Considering this Paul absorbed millennia of memories, I suspect he would not recognize a controller's species at all, just recognizing another version of Lantern tech.
I think Jevek already contacted enough versions of Paul, especially as some have started to completely reject his "request" entirely.

Not gonna lie, I was missing this one. I thought Jevek would have contacted this guy already and was disappointed that it didn't happen. That scene where he "goes out of his body" always makes me chuckle when I remember it.

Also, might be because we are in QQ, but the name of the segment makes it sound like somebody is wanking off to the stars.

And a Mammon scene from the Movie Stargate timeline.

I'm fairly sure he's actually in the series timeline but only remembers the movie, with the other info missing as is typical of these SIs.

And a Mammon scene from the Movie Stargate timeline.
No. He knows the film, but he's actually in the series.
...I take it they aren't usually so jovial with each other.
Goa'uld aren't. These two are genuinely friends.
Peril of weapons designed for intimidation as much as damage.
Whiel Captain Carter genuinely believed that when she said it, this story assumes that it's not true. They were designed like that to burst through forcefields and thicker armour than Jaffa currently used, then not redesigned after armour and forcefield designs changed.
You couldn't make a notch in the shield for the staff to rest on?
He did, that's how it's possible at all. But it's still awkward.
They aren't actually different timelines; the movie is a prequel to the TV series.
Only in broad strokes.

Only in broad strokes.
I've never understood why people say this; the tv series expanded upon a lot of the stuff presented in the movie but there were little significant changes, and events in the movie are referenced multiple times throughout the series, hell the consequences of the events of the movie are fundamentally relevant to multiple major plot points in the series.

The only really significant difference is the change of actors, which can be completely ignored because changing actors is just a thing that happens sometimes. Pretty much all the other differences are either irrelevant from a story perspective, or obvious concessions to the tv series format.

e: (Note that I am referring to SG-1 specifically, the other series' did start to go off the rails a bit in places.)

Last edited:
I've never understood why people say this; the tv series expanded upon a lot of the stuff presented in the movie but there were little significant changes, and events in the movie are referenced multiple times throughout the series, hell the consequences of the events of the movie are fundamentally relevant to multiple major plot points in the series. The only really significant difference is the change of actors, which can be completely ignored because changing actors is just a thing that happens sometimes.

Differences between the movie and the TV show-

1) Different base- Cheyenne Mountain instead of Creek Mountain

2) Different boss- General Hammond instead of West

3) Abydos changed galaxies, moving to the Milky Way for the TV show instead of the other side of the universe

4) No vast Stargate network in the movie. If the sequels had happened, they were planning for the Stargate to link to a grand total of three other planets.

5) Daniel was orphaned as a baby in the movie, he was orphaned as a child in the tv show

6) O'Neill's dead kid changed names from Charlie to Taylor

7) Ra was a Grey who was the last of his kind, not a space eel whose people are in no danger of going on the endangered list anytime soon.

8) Ra's guards included one named Anubis and another named Horus, which implies that the other Egyptian gods where human servants who got mythologized as well. While of course they were fellow Goa'uld in the tv show.

9) No dialing device in the movie.

Some of those are indeed minor, yes, but they add up.

Better hope not.

Because there's no realistic way for the Ori to miss a Controller punching a hole between universes.

2) Different boss- General Hammond instead of West
Not a retcon; Hammond is the new boss after West retired. I'm pretty sure this is even explicitly mentioned.

3) Abydos changed galaxies, moving to the Milky Way for the TV show instead of the other side of the universe
This retcon actually makes sense, "the other side of the universe" is a completely meaningless statement; we're in the center of the universe, there is no 'other side.' The original is also doubly stupid, because the glyphs are stated to work based on constellations, something which cannot be true if the target is that far away.

7) Ra was a Grey who was the last of his kind, not a space eel whose people are in no danger of going on the endangered list anytime soon.
Technically a retcon, but explained as Ra having taken an Asgard host, only to discover that Asgard biology was not very compatible with Goa'uld biology. The claim that he was the last member of a dying race comes from Daniel translating some stuff, and can be very easily explained as Daniel just being wrong or misinterpreting the text, or the text itself being wrong, something that happens plenty of times throughout the story.

(Unless you mean the weird thing we see for Ra's death scene, that was actually a concession made for test audiences. Apparently test audiences felt that Ra had survived the explosion without a scene showing him dying, so they just threw together a quick 'random alien vaporizes' scene to cover that. As such it can be safely ignored as unimportant.)

Some of those are indeed minor, yes, but they add up.
They really don't, the others are completely irrelevant from a story perspective.

The only change that has any real relevance to the story and cannot be easily explained is the Stargate network and symbols; the symbols being all the same can be written off as an obvious tv series concession. The apparent lack of a network is indeed a change, though I would argue not at all a significant one, as the way the glyphs are stated to work in the movie implies a larger network anyway.
(It's also kind of a lie that the symbols are different, I know Daniel says they are different but if you actually compare the symbols they are visibly almost the same, just with some gaps.)

Like, keep in mind that when I say that none of the changes were significant, I'm referring to what we actually see in the movie, not the behind-the-scenes stuff that the writers had done: The writers planning to only have like 3 worlds linked by the gates (despite having designed a coordinate system that could work for potentially billions of different locations) is utterly irrelevant because none of that is in the movie, for example.

e: Hell I'm pretty sure the tv series contradicted itself worse than any of these retcons multiple times, yet it doesn't make sense to say that those contradictions meant that it was a 'different timeline'. It just meant the writers fucked up, it happens.

Last edited:
3rd November 1999
The glory of innovation.
Slightly marred by being innovation to the benefit of tyrannical, draconian overlords but still. Mammon seems to be making at least some progress of de-evilifying them so there is hope.

But if we combine the two…
The dawn of combined arms.

It's called 'camouflage'.
Which will probably be ineffective if the other side has the helmet sensors, but will amazing if they don't.

Hope he didn't spend all his time on the infantry. Even an invincible ground army isn't much use if the enemy can dominate the orbitals.

10) O'Neil's name is spelled differently, and he has a completely different personality.
The personality part is directly referenced in the series at one point and is explained as him being at the lowest point in his life when the movie happened, as it was right after the death of his son, and he mellowed out somewhat in the years of retirement after almost committing suicide.

People are not static objects, they can change and stressors like that are the exact sort of thing that is likely to cause a person to change.

Last edited:
They aren't actually different timelines; the movie is a prequel to the TV series.
Technically, the movie is both canon to the series, but also a separate timeline.

The initial intent was for the movie to be part of a trilogy, and some pre-production work was done on that continuity even if it never actually became realized on screen. However, there was a series of novels written based on the author interviewing the film team about the intended direction.

The Series completely ignores the initially intended story and events, creating a seperate timeline and roughly lines up with the film, but which actually requires a few retcons to work.

ACTUALLY, the movie is a dream by a madman staring at a snow globe, and stargates are just about his fixation with…apertures. We should keep discussing the differences in stargate canon!

3rd November 1999
03:46

Oh shit a lot of important stuff is either on going or derailed by the butterflies Mammon has been breeding.

Sokar having the largest Navy among the system lords is unlikely to have changed, but the other system lords are more likely to unify their forces in response to Sokar to resist him more effectively, this also means Sokar needs to play smarter with his fleets.

I wonder if Aphopis is fucked in the ass, or if he is also in a holding pattern due to being unable to secure a good enough advantage against the other system lords. Probably not because last we hear of him he was already committed to the road that would ultimately fuck him.

ACTUALLY, the movie is a dream by a madman staring at a snow globe, and stargates are just about his fixation with…apertures. We should keep discussing the differences in stargate canon!

Wormhole X-Treme! is the real story, SG-1 is just a cover story fictionalization to hide the truth!

Oh shit a lot of important stuff is either on going or derailed by the butterflies Mammon has been breeding.

Sokar having the largest Navy among the system lords is unlikely to have changed, but the other system lords are more likely to unify their forces in response to Sokar to resist him more effectively, this also means Sokar needs to play smarter with his fleets.

I wonder if Aphopis is fucked in the ass, or if he is also in a holding pattern due to being unable to secure a good enough advantage against the other system lords. Probably not because last we hear of him he was already committed to the road that would ultimately fuck him.
The real problem should be Anubis.

Remember, his one limiting factor is that he can only use knowledge he can discover with the normal limitations of a Goa'uld. Meaning everything Mammon is doing should just be handing him more tools for his eventual takeover.

Bastet keeping out of the post-Ra scrum means that she's going to be stronger. Mammon genuinely doesn't know enough about ship-building to affect the strategic situation in the short to medium term. Bastet's Jaffa infantry will be more effective but it's entirely possible that Sokar will single her out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back