• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Just casually annihilating an alien bio-weapon and repairing the enviroment it damaged while having a discussion about Earth pilitics... Classic OL.
Orange power rings don't require concentration to work. Actually considering that OL always knows what he wants I expect that he changes stuff around himself all the time without even thinking about it. Actually that might be a downside to orange power rings. You can do things without needing concentration, but that also means that you might do things without your attention.

....... The only way that could work, is if they took the island with them. That's some serious spaceshipping.
Who are we shipping space with?

Impossible: his telepathic speech is insufficiently GOLD!
On the one hand, I see what you mean. On the other, in this story that'd mean he was invoking or feeling fear.

I wonder what happened to that really great story I once read where someone SI'd into Young Justice with the Emperor's power. I miss it.

There are still plenty of pirates around who haven't quite gotten the message. And he likes being a heroic freedom fighter.

In the Renegade timeline, the Renegade openly blaming him for what happened to his sisters has really done a number on his popularity back home.
Makes sense I guess.

At least he'll probably only face insults in the renegade timeline.

If things had been more like in the comics and Kom betrayed them, then the First Citadelian wouldn't be the only one to lose his head.

Probably not. It's more likely that he'd have killed her when he destroyed the Citadel Complex.

He can at least probably repair his reputation given time, but if Kom was more like her comic self, then being dead would kinda make that difficult.

People may be able to forgive decisions made in stupidity, malice not so much.

And I already gave an explanation on why they wouldn't need or want her.

Zoat did change some of the characters backstories for his story to make it more interesting and flesh them out so to speak. The fact they live in a separate universe and many of them didn't show up in that universe does afford him the ability to write how he likes while still being true to canon of the show.

For example he changed Blackfires and Starfires story on this one on how they got kidnapped by the Citadel.

In the comics Blackfire betrayed her people and sold her sister to the Citadelians. She also tortured her and had her humiliated and raped before she herself was betrayed by the Citadel.

In this story the Citadel took them because their brother joined the Omega Men and they wanted to hurt the royal family for revenge.

If Blackfire 16 was more like her pre flashpoint self and committed the things she did in the comics, well I asked Zoat if that was the case would the SI alter her mind like he did with Mammon and his answer was:

This does make sense since he wouldn't need her for well anything, either as a Lantern or as Queen.

Kori can be Queen as she most likely has had training in how to rule since she was a child before being sent to the Warlords, we just never saw her get the chance to rule in the comics and even if Kom in this story said her skills are inferior to hers, remember that while she didn't do the things her comic counterpart did she is still biased against her sister. Kori can also be ruthless even if we mostly saw that in the renegade version of her when she didn't show those Gordanians any mercy or sympathy and when renegade mentioned she destroyed the Spider Nest, but even her paragon self was willing to kill the Citadelains and Psions, she was just uncomfortable with mind controlling them and assimilation. Her pre flashpoint wasn't so ruthless because she spent time on Earth where she probably lost her edge, but this one never set foot on Earth. Her Outlaws counterpart in the n52 shows just how ruthless she can be. And her ability to grant mercy can also become useful since Vega is becoming a decent place to live, unlike in the comics where it remained a shithole, so a leader capable of being both ruthless and merciful is something that is needed. Her sister is just ruthless and cruel, which was good when Vega was a shithole, but now can become a problem if she isn't able to tone her negative traits down.
It would be a whole lot more easier to make Kori a bit more ruthless then it would be to have Kom develop the capacity for mercy, unless mind alteration is used.
And even the more innocent version of Kom in this fic is more interested in brute force and doesn't like to be questioned, so if she was more like her pre n52 self working with her would have been extremely difficult without some alterations. Assuming the mc needs her, which he wouldn't.

Kori can also get the help of Blake and Dox, who are both super intelligent and ruthless, to help her manage Tamaran, which they are doing in the paragon and renegade timelines, if she needs to acquire more skills and further become ruthless

The fact that Kom betrayed her people and participated in the torture of her sister, something which is the Citadels favorite hobby, would mean her people would be unwilling to accept her as queen, considering how much they hate the Citadel and their practices. And I doubt that her betrayal would remain secret as the Citadel would reveal it to demoralize the people and even she may reveal it to hurt those that shunned her and make them think it was their fault while feeling safe in the protection the Citadel provides.Without the backing of the Citadel or any of the things that allowed her to remain queen in the comics, avoiding civil war, the crises that befall tamaraneans and nearly destroyed their society while allowing her to make them accept her as their queen, nobody would have a reason to let her be queen. She couldn't also trick OL since they are both very intelligent men, who have the ability to see emotions, paragon all of them, renegade fear and desire, so they can see her desires and that one of them is her enjoyment of her sisters pain and they may be reluctant to work with her knowing she is a sadistic, traitorous monster, without first doing some changes to her personality. Renegade was disgusted with what Mordru was doing so he would be disgusted with what she was doing and paragon was disgusted with what was happening with Caliope and what the Citadelians had done to Kori in Kom so he would try to free her sister which would not sit well with Kom who may try something against him in the future as revenge if he leaves her alive and unaltered. Remember one of her defining traits is the hatred she has for her sister and in her crazy mind anyone who helps her is her enemy. And even if she isn't able to hurt him she can hurt someone close to him and may even just kill a bunch of innocent people while blaming him that if he didn't stand in her way then she wouldn't have done that, and yes she is petty enough to do something like that.

As for her being a Lantern well there is Kori again, who can use a ring, the renegade also gave rings to other Tamaraneans so paragon can also do that if he needs them to take down the Citadel and maintain order in Vega.

While they have both worked with some questionable people without killing them or altering them, this is because they needed those people alive, couldn't alter them without risks or didn't need to because they were reasonable and would abandon their more questionable activities. They don't need Kom alive, they can alter her with little risk and she is anything but reasonable, as she has committed some stupid and pointless actions in the comics which served absolutely no one and are self defeating, and if her narration of her backstory in the REBELS comic was any indication she may be just a tad bit deluded and may not see how any of her actions were in any way wrong.

Yeah I don't think Kom's more canonical self would have gotten off as easily as she did in the comics in this story without at least getting some alterations done.

Her n52 counterpart on the other hand is sane, hasn't committed the things her pre n52 self did and while she gave her sister to slavery, it was to protect her people while pre n52 Kom just wanted to see her sister suffer. Kom n52 wants to see her people safe and actually loves her sister and regrets her actions. These qualities can make her be able to wield a orange ring while also not needing the SI to alter how she thinks or be near her to make sure she doesn't engage in stupid evil shit like her pre n52 self did in the comics.

Teen Titans one at least didn't torture her sister and may be at least somewhat reasonable. Her betrayal could be viewed as necessary as they were losing the war, but she didn't torture Kori like the New Earth one. There is a difference between what can be viewed as her necessary evil and New Earths just evil for fun and stupidity and spite. Tricking people into thinking what you did was necessary is a whole lot more difficult when you needlessly torture innocent people and the one you try to trick can see emotions.

Anyway I went a bit overboard so sorry.

It is always interesting to see how Zoat can work these characters into his story and what changes he makes to them.

On the one hand, I see what you mean. On the other, in this story that'd mean he was invoking or feeling fear.

I wonder what happened to that really great story I once read where someone SI'd into Young Justice with the Emperor's power. I miss it.

You remember that stories name?

If so can you tell me what it is and where I can find it?

Mr Zoat I know you said that Paul actually talked to Dox about Manga Khan, but you didn't actually say what Dox said. As is it feels a bit like we are artificially left in the dark, which is grating in a first person story.

Mr Zoat I know you said that Paul actually talked to Dox about Manga Khan, but you didn't actually say what Dox said. As is it feels a bit like we are artificially left in the dark, which is grating in a first person story.
I don't mind going back and sticking a segment in if that's what people want, but he doesn't really say anything that hasn't been covered by the SI.

Actually considering that orange power rings don't require concentration to work just want I wonder how many lanterns have done things like accidentally given their girlfriend a boob job without thinking about it.

I appreciate your subtlety. It is not wasted.

I think this is the first time I've encountered anyone else who has read that series. And it's a super hard sci-fi series that suddenly gets ghosts dumped on it as an out of context problem. The ghost of Al Capone leads an interstellar battle fleet. I don't know how the Night's Dawn series hasn't gotten more attention.

I think I've been consistent in referring to the people from Ermana as the branx, and I know that capitalising species names is incorrect.
I think this is the first time I've encountered anyone else who has read that series. And it's a super hard sci-fi series that suddenly gets ghosts dumped on it as an out of context problem. The ghost of Al Capone leads an interstellar battle fleet. I don't know how the Night's Dawn series hasn't gotten more attention.
Maybe because the end is rubbish?
Ah, thought it might be. So the bioweapon left plants and trees alone? Or did Paul do a big regrowth thing quickly without mentioning it?
Left them alone. Tamaran's plants lack the characteristic which the plague was designed to attack.

I think I've been consistent in referring to the people from Ermana as the branx, and I know that capitalising species names is incorrect.

Unless they're birds. In that case you do capitalise the species name.

Don't look at me as to why this is, I didn't make the taxonomic rules.

Zoat can the Lord Protector version of Paul see all types of emotions, aside from fear, like his paragon counterpart, because of his enlightenment?

Haven't really decided, but I'm leaning towards 'no'.

So he may need a soul made of the stuff of an Emotional Entity to do that like the paragon.

I think you once said that enlightened lanterns can see other emotions when they are wearing their rings, but they just get a strong feeling for those emotions when they aren't wearing them.

Don't know if you decided to change this or not, or if I'm not remembering it right.

Yes, because you would lose.

Expecting politicians to be reasonable.

That's adorable.

actually it might be a stomp in the other direction.

thr interpretation I got was that he meant "I and the OLC would rather not go to war with earth"- and it only took a single lantern to burn the citidel to the ground and salt the surviving ashes...

Is it bad that I started partway through that one- the neutronium alchemist, I think >.<

ever wonder what might have happened if his host got killed/he got banished during his "still a gibbering madman who hasn't adjusted to having a non-short-circuiting brain again" phase?
for context, he came back to reality in the same mental state as he went out irl- babbling and incoherent, and he only survived after being abandoned by the other possessed long enough to regain his marbles through shear dumb luck..

.. ever read "the lost fleet", out of curiosity?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back