• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"Uouuughhhh!"

Steppenwolf shudders as I ram my daiklave through his back, staring down dumbly as the point of the blade exits through his chest. For a moment it feels like he's trying to turn, then the strength leaves his legs and he starts to collapse.
Interesting. A Renegade segment... But not in the usual Earth Sixteen-R. Has the Renegade gone on a cross-dimensional road-trip, to do a bit of malicious trolling, perhaps? Spiking the wheel of a few alternate Darkseid's plans, perhaps, and giving his foes a look at a friendly New God?

I pull my blade free and stare down at him dispassionately.

"A cruel blow, great uncle, I know. But let us be honest: nothing good would have come of you going to Earth."
Ah... The Movie-verse. This is going to be interesting. I personally haven't seen any but 'Man of Steel' within this continuity, other than 'Everything Great About' coverage from CinemaWins... This place could use some of the Renegade's distinct humour.

He falls to his side and then flops onto his back, eyes staring as if he were looking right through me. "MoTher…"

No sense in letting him suffer. He is family, after all. I raise my daiklave up by the guard and then bring the point down directly between his eyes because that's what you get for not wearing a faceplate.
To be honest, what he's wearing in the original movie looks more at home in Power Rangers. ...Let's not talk about whatever the hell he's wearing in the Snyder Cut.

Now. Where was I?

Ping.
"Throwing a rather large clog into the machinations of this Darkseid?" And yes, folks, that is the origin of the word 'sabotage'.

Ah, yes. Quite right. I stride through the boom tube-

17th November 2017
09:14 GMT +3
Effectively replacing Steppenwulf as the movie's 'villain', largely due to the fact people keep attacking him?

-and into a.. cave..? No, this is clearly an artificial structure. Tomb? No, vault. The local Darkseid's Mother Box sits on a plinth in the middle of the room, the light from within shining just brightly enough to pierce the outer casing. A curious design choice, but given the things he was using it for I suppose-.

"Who are you?"
And how strange is it that something that's a largely common piece of sapient equipment in the comics is suddenly the macguffin of the movies? o_O

Oh! Is this..? Mother Box?

Ping.
"Well, it's a poor example of my kind. But I suppose this is what passes for us in this misbegotten world..."

It is! Themyscira! That explains the women pointing spears at me! Which.. means.. that the middle aged blonde glaring at me is…

"Queen Hippolyta, I presume. My name is Grayven. I'm here for Father's Box."
...Maybe add a little more explanation, Renegade? I mean, you aren't exactly not seeming like the bad guy here.

There's a general tightening of bow strings and bracing of shield wall-. Well, it's not really a shield wall anywhere other than by the entrance. They're more buttresses guarding the archers.

"You will never have it."
An efficient layout, at least, I suppose. And being elevated as they were makes it less likely to have friendly fire by encircling the enemy...

I raise my eyebrows. Then I turn my head to look right. Then back at her. Then left. Then back at her. "How.. precisely.. were you planning on stopping-"

"Loose!"
Now, see, anyone else, and arrows might be a threat...

Arrows -iron-headed arrows- plink harmlessly off the armour covering my chest, back, arms and thighs. One or two strike me in the face.

I smile. "-me?"
Not quite blocking it with your eye, but then, can you imagine how annoying getting a fleck of it under your eyelid would be?

And they're still shooting. And what I'm learning from this is that local Amazons are baseline humans rather than demigoddesses and that their arrows are unenchanted.

I fold my arms patiently behind my back as they continue to draw and loose at me.
Kind of weird, yes. You'd think after three-thousand-odd years, they at least have built some measure of magical arsenal. Or perhaps that was too much thought for the writing team to put in. :rolleyes:

"The greatest archers this world has ever seen-" A lucky hit lands directly in my mouth. I bite through the shaft and turn my head to the left as I spit out the head. "-were fifteenth century Englishmen. They used longbows of around one point two metres-" I hold up my hands to indicate the length. "-with a draw of around four hundred Newtons. About twice what you're using." They've stopped loosing. "With a two hundred Newton draw, drawn back forty centimetres and at a distance of… What is this, five metres? The force of the impact on my skin is something like three million kilograms per square millimetre-."
Bit rude, interrupting his little trivia drop with an arrow to the uvula. And his numbers are even lowballing it a little.

"Form up!"

The Amazon hoplites form up around the huddle blocking the door, the bow wielders drawing swords and assuming a skirmishing position at either side of the shield wall.
Oh, joy, more Hollywood tactics. A phalanx against one man? Also, they do realise he can just leave the way he got in, right? Blocking the door will not impede him at all. :V

"Perhaps another history lesson, then. In seventeen fifty six, the British Admiral John Byng led a force of thirteen ships of the line against a French fleet of twelve. The French ships were modern and in good repair, the British ships dilapidated. The initial fighting saw the British-"

"Advance!"
Interesting aside. Wonder where he's going with this...

"-take the worst of it. In the end, he decided that it wasn't possible to win, to relieve the nearby garrison or even to inflict significant damage on the French. So, he retreated his fleet."

I take a few slow paces to the right so that the line can advance without needing to split around the plinth.
How obliging of him. Then again, he's going to show them just how outmatched they are, isn't he?

"Afterwards, the Admiral was recalled, tried, and executed for 'failing to do his utmost against the enemy'. So I understand why you're doing-" I gesture towards Queen Hippolyta with both hands. "-this, even knowing that it is futile. Indeed, I respect you all the more. And when I rule this world I will ensure that there is a place for all of you in it."

I lunge, knocking aside seven spear points with a swing on my right arm and shoving the shields behind them with my right hand. Warrior women go flying backwards as I step into the gap, brace and shove.
Ah, I see. Complimenting their determination, even as he demonstrates their incapability.

Swords and spears plink uselessly against my armour.

"You might need to.. improve slightly before it's a place of honour, but-."
Wonder they can hear him over the inevitable clatter.

There's a slight scraping noise as someone -it's Hippolyta, isn't it?- grabs Father's Box and sprints for the exit. "Close the gates!" Past the reforming hoplite huddle around me I see.. burly Amazons in bikinis take sledgehammers to wooden pillars supporting the ceilings above them, their strikes splintering them and causing stone sheets perhaps forty centimetres thick to fall into place.

Did they.. not.. see the boom tube I arrived by?
Not that forty centimetres would slow him down much anyway.

"But there's always a place for women of courage-" More iron weapons scrape uselessly against my armour. "-under my rule."

"We defeated your kind before!"
To be fair, I have to wonder how much their contribution actually meant, given their allies... Especially if they aren't collectively superhuman.

I lightly grip the speaker's spear head with my right hand, anchoring it in place. "You did? You don't look like a Green Lantern."

"All the people of this world fought against Steppenwolf's hordes!"
...Man, it's a pity the Green Lantern movie bombed, because it would have been nice to see one show up. As long as he didn't replicate the animated version's performance in 'Justice League: War' ( :p and a fan edit for extra humiliation.)

"Our histories only mention Green Lanterns and a couple of local gods. I don't remember hearing about iron age barbarians. Are you sure your people achieved anything noteworthy?"

I shove my arms outwards, pushing the Amazons pressing against me away and giving me the space to grab one in my right hand. Then I pull a nerve jammer off my belt with my left and delicately place it on her neck before dropping her. Her eyes move and she can still breathe, but her arms and legs are completely still. Good show.
If you're going to do that for all of them, this could take all day.

This isn't about killing people, no matter how-.

A section of the crowd parts and a large woman swings a hammer at my head. It hits, and then rebounds with such force that she loses her grip and it-.
...Honestly, I could see them thinking that might work, even if the swords hadn't been.

I catch it in my right hand before it can brain one of her fellows, toss it at the far wall and then grab her and nerve jam her. Huh. Gone rather dark with the only light source blocked. And -amusing as their feeble attempts to harm me are- I'm not really achieving anything here.

Mother Box.
I guess he's choosing not to use his Rings so as not to make it too humiliating for them. Or simply doesn't feel the need to.

I get into a rhythm, grabbing and nerve jamming every Amazon still assailing me.

Mother Box, boom tube to… Wherever Hippolyta is about to be.

Ping.
"Working on it. My, she's a fast one." That's got to be a little demoralising. All of them whaling on him and doing nothing while he casually puts them out of the fight, one at a time...

BOOM!

Those Amazons still standing are knocked off their feet as the tube opens, and I nudge the fallen aside with my feet before striding through it-
Still being very polite. No stepping on the unlucky ones.

"Hyarh!"

-bracing myself and catching Hippolyta's horse mid-stride as she tries to run me down, casually absorbing its momentum as I lift it off the ground.
Again, that might have worked if he wasn't about the same weight as the horse, and significantly stronger.

And again, if you please.

Ping.
"I'll find us somewhere more private." I suppose having dozens of determined warrior women throwing themselves at you might get a little troublesome.

BOOM!

Horse and queen in hand, I leap through the tube before her fellow Amazons can reach us.
Now, for a nice, calm chat... While Hippolyta tries to brain him with whatever she can get her hands on.

Well, this promises to be amusing, watching the Renegade speedrun the derailment of the movie's events. Though hopefully he at least stops long enough to revive Superman before he heads off. Since I doubt the as-yet-unformed Justice League will have reason to try if they don't realise they need him. I wonder if he's going to be making stops in other continuities?

Kind of weird, yes. You'd think after three-thousand-odd years, they at least have built some measure of magical arsenal. Or perhaps that was too much thought for the writing team to put in. :rolleyes:

Their magical abilities may be dependent on the gods, and Ares killed them.

To be fair, I have to wonder how much their contribution actually meant, given their allies... Especially if they aren't collectively superhuman.

I'm guessing their allies found any help to be appreciated given that they were facing Apokolips.

Is this the original or the Snyder cut?

That should say 'burly'.
First 'my' extraneous.
'The'
'hands.'
Thank you, corrected.
Are we going to get a a renegade option praise Eros out of this?
It's not impossible, but probably not.
I don't think you're allowed to capture two pieces at the same time in chess.
Maybe not how you play it...
Well when your skin is practically indestructible, and fighting enemies that are equal to you is rare, armor may not be that necessary.
There's no such thing as 'indestrucable'.
Is this the original or the Snyder cut?
It's already derailed hard enough that it won't matter. Personally, I'd rather fail to enjoy a film in two hours rather than five.

Well, this could be even more hilarious than the Power Rangers crossover. But yeah, it's been so long since we saw Grayven I barely even remember what he was doing last time and now witnessing him show up in the DCEU came out of nowhere. What the F is going on?

How did Grayven end up next to Steppenwolf? And why is he going to Earth to grab the Motherbox from Themyscira when he has his own? And why is he telling the local Amazons that he wants to conquer this Earth?

I think this chapter is just a little too in media res for me.
He explains it to Hippolyta tomorrow. Essentially, Synder Steppenwolf isn't exactly hard to find, because Darkseid wants it and that's a bad thing, because he needs to motivate them to unify and stop him.

already derailed hard enough that it won't matter. Personally, I'd rather fail to enjoy a film in two hours rather than five.
I was actually just wondering the degree of stupidity your guy is contending with.
One is ok this is dumb buuuuut I can mostly see why this makes sense to you. And I actually think I can help you.
The Other is: Ok it's been a hot minute since I built a virus bomb but give me a bit and I'll have ur universal exterminatus ready!

Judging by ur response I guy this is the original version. Good grief

The most positive thing I can say for the Synder cut is that if you're a Cyborg fan, the original really did do him dirty and the expanded cut at least makes him more of a character.

Also covered later. Basically, Grayven had 'finished' his storyline and Luna was getting annoyed with him hanging around the house.

Oh! So this is the equivalent of the Illustres ascending and travelling the multiverse?

The wife literally told him to go and busy himself instead of sitting around watching multiversal TV, that's hilarious.

Also covered later. Basically, Grayven had 'finished' his storyline and Luna was getting annoyed with him hanging around the house.
Now I want to see Future!OL and Future!Renegade meeting each other by accident and learning their origins are the same, with the exception of the latter having one bad day before waking up with the power ring.

Now I want to see Future!OL and Future!Renegade meeting each other by accident and learning their origins are the same, with the exception of the latter having one bad day before waking up with the power ring.
I doubt that either of them will be able to remember the day well enough by then.

There's no such thing as 'indestrucable'.

Very, very, very durable then.

Though while not wearing a faceplate is a bad choice, I don't think he's the only New God that does that.

I honestly can't remember any New God that had a faceplate with their armor, aside from maybe Orion and his helmet.

At least this version actually had some protective headgear instead of that weird hat his cartoon version had.

So are we going to be seeing the exploits of Future Renegade in this April Fools episode instead of Future Paragon?

Ah, so Paul showed up in a live action Power Rangers universe while Grayven showed up in the live action DC movies. I am glad that Grayven can still enjoy being a theatrical supervillain even after he was purged of the Anti-Life piece through the power of friendship.

Since Paul as the Orange Lantern is an existing character in the in-universe comics when he showed up in the Power Rangers reality, I'd like to think that Paul as Grayven is a known character is whatever reality this version of the DCEU is being shown in theaters.

He explains it to Hippolyta tomorrow. Essentially, Synder Steppenwolf isn't exactly hard to find, because Darkseid wants it and that's a bad thing, because he needs to motivate them to unify and stop him.
Was 'Synder' supposed to be homophonous wordplay or was that just a typo?

Because if it is wordplay, I approve. :3

What is with this obsession with superboy it's the absolute worst part of the story I don't get it

What is with this obsession with superboy it's the absolute worst part of the story I don't get it

What obsession? You mean their friendship?

Orange Lantern, Superboy and Miss Martian were the three Team members that actually lived at Mount Justice. Logically, they ended up spending a lot of time around each other and by virtue of Conner having a difficult time at the beginning and Paul wanting to help his teammates and guide his orange light impulses to positive endeavors, they hung around more than with the others. The end result is that they're best friends.

There is also the fact that Paul was apparently attracted to Conner.

Why do you consider their bromance the worst part of the story?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back