• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

XF2 testbed now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't access anything that requires a login on the testbed at this point. I changed my password after it went up, because it reminded me that I didn't remember my old one and was relying on Chrome's autofill, which is always a bad situation to be in. Which meant that I replaced Chrome's autofill password with the new one, and still don't remember the old, and the testbed is running on a snapshot from before I changed it, so...

Anyways, kind of wishing I remembered the old one to test things like the text editor over there now.

I said NOT the blue one. The blue one has it, but it has a lot of problems.

I'm talking the xenforo froala.

Do the colors depend on style? Because I see Froala as the one that has a blue text box. Probably best to use the names instead of colors.

I tested using the TinyMCE fullscreen mode, and immediately noticed one weird issue: in fullscreen mode, opening one of the menus from the top menu bar opens it at the bottom of the screen, instead of the expected behavior of opening the list at the top below the name you clicked.

Move to top button when scrolling is a great quality of life addon. Great to see it getting implemented.
Thank you for your work!

I get a Template Error in a red box in the alerts/banner ad box at the top of the page when going to All alerts

edit: Specifically,
Template public:alert_post_op_insert: [E_USER_WARNING] Template public:alert_post_op_insert is unknown (src/XF/Template/Templater.php:692)

+1 for "My favorite theme is gone!" except that the one I care about is black w/purple. If that should have been there for me, I was trying to change it using the link in the all-pages footer.

I note a lack of smilies picker in the post editor, and nothing but a bare bext box shows up at all if I have scripts blocked, not even the simple "post reply" and "more options" buttons. This is super annoying.

edit 2: The buttons are there on threads, just not the profile page. That's not as big of an issue. Still want my smilies, though.

Just generally all the usual "it's different, so it sucks" type gripes, but those are the ones that make me actually shake my head and mutter "this isn't ready for prime time."

Last edited:
I tested using the TinyMCE fullscreen mode, and immediately noticed one weird issue: in fullscreen mode, opening one of the menus from the top menu bar opens it at the bottom of the screen, instead of the expected behavior of opening the list at the top below the name you clicked.

Looks like this is related to scrolling the underlying page while the editor is on top of it. Scrolling the page in preview mode affects menu placement after returning to the fullscreen editor, and I can also use the mouse wheel on top of the open menus to scroll them up or down the screen.

I said NOT the blue one. The blue one has it, but it has a lot of problems.
If you would be more specific about what "a lot of problems" means, there might be a way to approach that. Absent that, there's not much I can do.

I will investigate the options available for Froala, but I don't know of it having a full-screen option.

On one hand it's absolutely hideos, on the other hand, all the Like notifications no longer fill several pages worth of text per post.

edit: quick search for bugs. Will edit and add as I find any.
1. Pressing home takes me to normal site, not the test bed.
2. Some images, profile images, seem to not be loading.
3. Footer message
Screenshot-2024-03-19-195742.png
4.Account details page, missing some links such as watched forums
5. Message number is different depending on which site you're on ,for me it's about like 29, as in my own comments not private messages.

Last edited:
I've just changed the page width setting, so the margin issue should be fixed.
I assume the cog symbol at the bottom is supposed to allow to set your preferred margin width? Because it's really needed, I personally tend to browse the forum using relatively small tablet and as such really prefer no margins, while some people (probably ones using wide-screen monitors) prefer having a sizeable ones. And said option should be in Preferences as well, having to hunt different site options through different buttons/menus is a bad design IMO. For same reason the sicky header should also be a toggleable option as well.

I also agree with others that the contrast between text and background in Dark theme is too low (the text in particular is too dark grey, since background at least matches some of the current QQ dark themes).

But for all the issues I still thank the team for the effort involved in moving to the XF2, security aside features like being able to view New Threadmarks, summarize alerts, etc. are definitely welcome.

Last edited:
Oh shit, oh fuck.

They better not keep the stupid fuckery where the threadmarks do not reveal all of themselves at once. At very large threads, they refuse to show everything even when I go directly to the threadmarks page!

Fuck that. I hate the threadmarks listing of XF2.

Holy shit this.

Like, jesus, that shit is SO. FUCKING. BUGGY.

Even going to the page that's supposed to show only threadmarks has like a 30-40% chance of just flat-out not showing all the threadmarks, no matter what. At least for me.

DO NOT ADD THE ELLIPSES SHIT, JUST SHOW ALL THREADMARKS BY DEFAULT.

I will investigate the options available for Froala, but I don't know of it having a full-screen option.
Wait, does SB not have the same?
image.png
SB has a fullscreen. As does SV from what I remember a long time ago (but they were already at XF2).
Holy shit this.

Like, jesus, that shit is SO. FUCKING. BUGGY.

Even going to the page that's supposed to show only threadmarks has like a 30-40% chance of just flat-out not showing all the threadmarks, no matter what. At least for me.

DO NOT ADD THE ELLIPSES SHIT, JUST SHOW ALL THREADMARKS BY DEFAULT.
Checking, it seems like they're avoiding that.
https://xf2.questionablequesting.com/threads/ninja-ninja-tactics-completed.5980/threadmarks

It shows all threadmarks at once.

I'd have preferred it if they showed all threadmarks even on a normal page, but I'll take this.

My main concern will always be the textbox.

It doesn't, I see ellipsis after 362.
Shit, are you on mobile? It could be way different on mobile.

I haven't touched it on mobile because the forums are just generally shit to type in on a phone. QQ is the most functional for me, and even then it can be difficult sometimes.

Last edited:
Please get SV's Threadmark Pagination plugin.

Also, please, please, make a light theme less oppressive, featureless grey.

Ellipses after 362 on desktop Firefox, too.

I'm seeing ellipses after 362 on desktop chrome there.
Please get SV's Threadmark Pagination plugin.

Also, please, please, make a light theme less oppressive, featureless grey.

Ellipses after 362 on desktop Firefox, too.
Okay, this is weird.

It seems I had a gap, it was right after chapter 3.
image.png

But no other ellipsis anywhere.

I had 800 out of the 900+ or so threadmarks. And clicking that one ellipsis got them all to reveal themselves.
If you would be more specific about what "a lot of problems" means, there might be a way to approach that. Absent that, there's not much I can do.
Okay, going through the tinyMCE textbox, listing my problems with it.

1) It's much easier to notice when you're using formatted text (bold, italics), as the indicator is like on XF1. HOWEVER, it only has bold and italics. Underline and strikethrough? I need to press the drop-down box to do it. I know underline is a ctrl+U away, but strikethrough is not. And on a phone, I do not have shortcuts.
2) Same complaint for when I want the "remove formatting" option (to remove underlines/etc., or weird text formatting when I copypaste a quote from a different website)
3) similar complaints for various other buttons, like the horizontal line, or 'fullscreen', or "link"/"unlink" (it is actually missing an "unlink" button), or Fonts and Font sizes, requiring I click the "Format" button before I can use them.
4) Missing a "save draft" option. I know presumably the textbox autosaves, but internet can be spotty. And being able to 'confirm' that I clicked the button and seeing a response (a blinking light, or preferably a popup of 'draft saved') makes me more at ease.
5) Particularly big complaint about COLORS. I need to follow THREE buttons. One to move to the Format Tab, one to go to the Text Color choice, and a third to pick a color. And the complaint about the color having to be clicked this many times each time I want to recolor is still a thing.
I would REALLY like it if the text color option was immediately available , and that it was similar to XF1, where the 'button' is actually two. One being "use the last color used" and "pick a different color". So if I want to recolor all of a character's dialogue, which immediately means many different lines of text separated by descriptive text and other characters, I only need to highlight each line and click ONCE on the "current color" button of the text color. With XF2? I have to highligh a line of text, then click format, then move to text color, then pick the color I want from the color palette. I want to do the same to the next paragraph? Do it all over again.
Coloring text is really REALLY inconvenient right now.

[a lot of this can be summed up as "I find dropdown lists for textbox functions to be shit. Closer to XF1 QQ where every button is immediately available would be better]
This is particularly important on a phone! Because of fat fingers and annoying touchscreen meaning trying to go through dropdown bar, random 'clicks' on other parts of the screen will roll them back up and I have to try again. It's so much easier when the buttons are all there and I only have to click one.
If

I do like that when it does word count, it counts word count like XF1 QQ. Even words in quotes are counted in the word count. The froala takes out text in a 'quote' or 'spoiler'. Which is super fucking annoying. When I want wordcount I want the whole damn thing.

Please, as much as possible, try to make every button immediately available with a single click.

like the black rich text editor keeping some of the other options inside menus to seemingly slim the editor down. Personally I don't think keeping the editor small is necessary and prefer the chunkier one we have right now.
The chunky textbox buttons on QQ1 are just fine for me too.

I hate textbox menus. Make it all easily available and convenient.

If I'm on a computer, two 'lines' of buttons is not that noticeable. I have a whole screen!

On a phone? The extra clicks is really annoying. It's an extra layer of actual difficulty trying to modify text or add pictures!

I've tried, and QQ is the easiest for me over SB because I just need one click. SB? Multiple more clicks for certain options. Which is incredibly annoying.

Last edited:
Issues I've noticed with TinyMCE:
  • No way to insert spoilers, tables, lists, smilies, images or videos. You can trick it into inserting nameless quotes through the "blockquote" function but it's pretty... hacky.
  • Applying bold/italics/underline/strikethrough to only part of a word is now needlessly difficult, to the point that it's easier for me to just type out the tags manually.
  • Multiple apparently redundant menus for applying the same basic formatting effects. As far as I can tell, every single function of Format>Formats can be found elsewhere in the same menu, or in that little freestanding dropdown.
  • The overall layout of the toolbar is pretty inefficient. It takes up more space than either Froala or the XF1 editor (at window widths >= 1200px), yet hides more of its functions behind dropdown menus. Even at 1200px, the majority of the toolbar is whitespace.

If someone could figure out how to add fullscreen to froalla that'd be great.

That would be the closest thing to full functionality at this point.

The color text would still be so much worse than qq1, but at least most of the functionality would be there.

Like, to explain? I ACTUALLY use fullscreen on mobile.

https://i.postimg.cc/SNJzrY5K/Screenshot-20240320-051107-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20240320-051107-Chrome.jpg

I like this!

It 'locks' my screen so that every button is available, instead of the screen moving whenever I'm not properly scrolled/positioned to the button.

For example, if my screen is not locked on fullscreen and I have a long response?

I have to put my screen AND the text cursor/position close to the top edge when pressing the save text. Because if I don't, the screen rolls back down and the save draft dropdown resets.

I don't need to think about that on fullscreen mode.
It's wonderful both on mobile and desktop.

Last edited:
Well, I'm on the mobile site and alerts don't have any titles on them, nor do they allow you to click them. Many user icons also don't show up.

Thankfully dark mode does work!

I just want the ability to adjust the text and font. I don't want to have to zoom in on the pages to read it. And it would be nice to change the colors for those of us with different eyesight and ability to differentiate colors.

Edit: also I've been having some trouble with the old search box? Not sure if it's related to mobeil devices but it's hard to touch screen the search box if it's the same color as the tab of the window. If we're getting a new upgrade I'd like that fixed.

I hate blue tabs with blue boxes with blue borders, that sort of thing?

I'd also like to be able to search for a title without knowing the exact name and have more options for when you don't spell the title correctly. Like, I tried to look up "Triclopse" and didn't get any hits until I took the "E" at the end off. In the testbed this seems to be better, so I'd like to keep that.

Last edited:
I got a templater error when going into my personal page on the testbed.

It would be cool if the reader mode have a way to choose what chapter to read

Will we still be able to have GIF avatars or will that be going away with the upgrade?

Dunno if this is really the right place to be mentioning, but I see that the testbed, just like the current version, seems to be incapable of presenting more than 40 pages worth of search results, period, even when I know for a fact there are more results that should show up.

It's a problem I've noticed in the past when searching for certain CRW tags. Worm is probably the easiest example. It has an absolutely absurd number of fics on QQ going all the way back to at least 2015. I know those old ones are still around, because if you can actually dig up links to them like on Reddit or something, they take you here just fine. (Literally reread one last week)

But if you just try and tap the "Worm" tag on a fic to search that way, and then start going back through time, browsing, it stops showing results at 40 pages of results, which is only like 2020. That's 5 whole years worth of fics basically lost to the void.

It'd be easier if we could do a search by tag, and then filter afterwards, but we can't refine searches like that. Nor can we do a manual search by tag with the search bar and filter that way… we can only search members, posts, and titles, there, which doesn't really help for general browsing. Searching posts hits the page cap even faster, members wouldn't be the right type, and titles don't work either since so many people don't both putting setting shorthands in their thread titles.

(For that matter, just searching titles for "Worm" caps out at even fewer results, at 20 pages.)

We really need a way to further filter search results after running the search.

Edit: Huh, weird. If you just search "Worm" in titles, you cap at 20, but if you do the same search AND add a 20k minimum word count, the page cap is higher? That's weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back