1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Delver Quest (Original Fantasy... again)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by yrsillar, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

[X] Bring him along, if he tries anything funny, you’ll just squish him.

2. Hangwind

Hangwind Versed in the lewd.

3. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

Who is this strange fellow of whom you speak? We know no "Du Hansard".

Bre Karn likes this.
  4. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

[X] Bring him along, if he tries anything funny, you’ll just squish him

5. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Du's Childhood Montage

<hr>

Sumedo Hansard looks down at the small child in her arms, blinking around at the world in wonder. She turns to her husband. "Dorasu, I've decided. Our newest child is Du."

He nods. "Curiosity is a good name for a mage."

<hr>

Du, still too young to have a gender, sits nearest her oldest brother. Fi has just been accepted to the academy two years early. "Hey, hey Fi, now that you're an adult, what's your grown up name?"

Fi makes a show of thinking about it. "Well, I thought about being Fifi," Du makes a face at this. Insightful Insight is a terrible name, and likely to make you go crazy from learning something unknowable. "But I think I'll go with Ne as my adulthood letter."

"Insightful Power, huh? You're the coolest big brother ever."

<hr>

Fine is home from the academy for the kelp bloom festival, and Du is trying, unsuccessfully, to cast the harvesting spell.

"Don't worry, little lady, you'll get it. My friend Samo Green was telling me that she was studying for years before she got her first spell to work, but once she figured it out, everything fell into place."

"But with a name like Patient Determination of course she'd take a long time and then be good!"

"Names aren't everything, and in any case, Du, doesn't your name mean eventually you'll know everything?"

Du grumbles at this, then perks up. "Wait, she? Are you gonna be Finesa Green someday?"

Fine blushes. "Stop that! We're just friends!"

"Oh yeah? What color are her scales?"

"The most beautiful sapphire with emerald highlights," Fine replies dreamily.

Du just laughs.
    <hr>

The next time Du sees Fine, it is as a sister. "Hey, hey, you changed! What's Samo going to say?"

Fine blushes. "Not that it matters at all, but he doesn't mind."

"He now, huh? So when do I get to meet the future Samofi Hansard?"

"We're not like that!"

Du just laughs.

<hr>

Du is alone in the marsh on his way to the storage shed when he hears the creature. He panics, and makes it into the shed just in time. In desparation, he concentrates, focusing on the door, and on how sturdy it is. Miraculously, the door holds, and the creature leaves. Du smiles. Finally. Finally he cast his first spell. His family will be so proud of him.

<hr>

Tears run down Du's face. They were all so sad and sympathetic, but... Not a real mage, they said. He wasn't going to go, but he heard about a new tower. Maybe there, maybe Dufi Hansard could become a real mage. Or perhaps Dumo or Dure. Curious Versatility wouldn't be a bad name. Maybe even something else. It didn't matter. He had a long journey on foot to pick his adult letter. Maybe he'd even arrive female. It all depended on how he felt on the way.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

7. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Huh. The html code for lines didn't work and editing on my phone is a sisyphean torture, so I'll fix it when I'm on a computer.

8. Kinematics

Kinematics Well worn.

Don't use HTML. Use BBCode. [hr], not <hr>.

9. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Whatever. I still can't edit it properly until I'm not on mobile.

10. Kinematics

Kinematics Well worn.

Time for another round of editing.
    Just a missing comma for an introductory phrase.
    Massive run-on sentence. it's/its confusion.
    Should be two sentences, or at least separated by a semicolon.
    Use em dash separation for an incomplete modifying phrase.
    Comma splice.
    Run-on paragraph.
    Massive run-on. your/you're confusion.
    More of the same.
    Duplication of "you suppose". A few different rewrites are possible, but this seems the simplest.
    More comma splices.
    Massive run-on paragraph.
    Couple missing words, and a comma splice.
    Missed capitalizing a sentence. Comma splice.
    Comma splice.
    Left out a word. Comma splice.
    Comma splice.
    Comma splice. too/to confusion.
    Missing a comma after the introductory phrase.
    Couple comma splices, and a missing comma.
    Misspelled name. Comma splices. Missing comma.
    Comma splice.

"... just yesterday I saw a noblewoman arrive with an entire platoon of guards in tow. The only survivors were herself and the captain of her guard." — Doesn't make sense. She arrived with an entire platoon, but also apparently only arrived with her captain? Is her captain an entire platoon? Did the platoon not survive entrance into the area? (If so, how did Murdan see them?) Did they enter the tower and not survive the trip?
    Comma splice.
    Massive run-on. Missing comma.
    Comma splices.
    Comma splice.

yrsillar likes this.
  11. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

-[X] If squishing skellies is easy, then it's no trouble letting him hide behind your non-existent skirts. He should really work on his stamina issues, though. Nobody wants a guy that can't last. (Why is Sylph giggling?)

Bre Karn likes this.
  12. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Not sure I approve of innocent Yuuka :(

13. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Well, it could just be oblivious Yuuka, who doesn't think when she says stuff, or even have effeminate elf boys on her radar.

Nanimani and Arkeus like this.
  14. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Obviously she should have shiny scaled androgynous fish people on her radar instead, because they look like treasure.

Priapus, Nanimani and Arkeus like this.
  15. Larekko12

Larekko12 Connoisseur.

She's an oni not a dragon. Dwarfs and Pandaren Brew masters or bust.

16. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Unlike a sonic screwdriver, Du can triplicate the alcohol content of liquor.

17. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Sadly Lona Estellor seems firmly in the position of 'In another part with her guard captain', at least for now. Well, unless she isn't the princess talked about earlier. Honestly I would be tempted to try and grab her, but there is IC no reason to do that and actual reasons not to do that (E.G we don't know what she is capable of nor her bodyguard, and we have someone right in front of us who actually can work with us. Oh, also Oni might not be really liked by royalty except as slaves/pets).

:mad::mad::mad:

18. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Oh shush, you'll get your turn :p Let me savor this. With your write-in, (s)he might be the next one!

Honestly I do not care about splitting xp due to high party numbers by the way. Grinding Quests are boring, it's the interaction with an interesting cast that matters!

EDIT: within reason of course. Managing a whole fucking guild would be too much bookkeeping. But a team of all the yrsillar-approved chargen options? Let's do this, people!

Priapus likes this.
  19. yrsillar

yrsillar Dapper Cthulhu

Yuuka isn't particularly innocent, she just isn't really interested in foreigners that way. After all, they're so tiny. :p

And don't worry there'll probably be a chance to work with all the proposed characters at one point or another.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Priapus, Nanimani, Sirrocco and 2 others like this.
  20. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Actually Im thinking the gear payoff for beating tower bosses would be worth more than the XP from grinding. And whats more by killing the tower bosses first and then getting the next set of gear before other people we can then sell the old gear for large amounts.

Priapus likes this.
  21. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

If a Boss only drops one Chunk , having to kill 4+ bosses before we get our first Chunk of Deucite is going to be a right pain. So yeah, I am in it for the XP/Deucite too.

22. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

I like the guy. and we can always seperate

23. Minion #Q

Minion #Q Well worn.

24. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

Oh snap, I should have called the Ice Spirit Elsa; with a proviso that her summoning involves a ban against singing.

Priapus likes this.
  25. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

Edit it in. Nobody here will complain
    make an OOC note of the edit at beginning of next post to make sure everyone sees it

26. Frakir's brother

Frakir's brother Experienced.

-[X] We don't know if he'll work even mid term, but we have a couple of potions for our own stamina and a guide that's also a nuker for some of the more difficult enemies can be useful.

27. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Edit: So, thinking about it, I'd like to aim for a smaller party. Fewer members=more XP early on which may help us get out of the rookie tier more easily.

So, what do we want?

Yuuka is both tanky and offensive, so I'd like to go without any melee for the moment.

Murden, if he works out, adds damage dealing and potentially some utility. Depending on exact skill balance, he may be able to cover general utility, but my inclination is to suspect a lot of burst right now.

Of the known character options, Linnea is probably the most healy, so she'd be my go to for a third.

If Murden fits more into utility niche than pure burst, we may want someone thievy instead. Of course, it may work to just meet a lot of people and partner with different ones in different runs. We'll probably want numbers for bossy stuff so shifting up party membership rather than slipping right into a set team might really help.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  28. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

Du really is rather versatile. Adjusting a lock to be less secure is well within his abilities.

29. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Bossy stuff has the issues to, from my understand, be the only ones to drop the bigger Deucites.... and you need those for skills over C. I don't fancy having to do the same boss 10 times just to have his Deucite drop once :(

30. mrttao

mrttao Gone for Good

the way i see it, we are going to be clearly carrying him early on.but when we start encountering higher level boss monsters that drop bigger deucites we are going to want a proper party to defeat them

we could do early solo to gain early levels faster and then party up with someone stronger. but that leaves less time for relationship development and a bigger chance of backstab
    The issue is that there is only 1 wish at the top. However, most people aren't even aiming for the top, just getting powerful and wealthy enough to be set for life