• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

I suppose I could vote for this. I don't like that it doesn't follow up on the changelings at all, considering that's kind of our main job atm, but most of the mechanical bits are fine. Don't like that there's no evidence scry, but I suppose I can try and convince people into summoning a MitL on Velvet phase and have the Mare do it.

Quick quibble though, could you change the book search to specify that we want the book to be from an expedition, and not a purchase? Because the overall easiest would likely be a purchased level 5 book, which would be more expensive.
We have a plan just put it in when the vote opens, people will vote for whichever one they prefer. If it wins then no need to convince, if it doesn't we'll see.

I think we can all agree that we are going for the Frangiclave, so now we have to decide who is scrying for it.

Actually, I would like to ask: if we successfully scry for a level 5 book for Baldomare, do we have to reserve a follower action to get it?
Actually we don't. We can just let Bird decide for us, as it's a "general" follower action!

That said, IF we had to pick, it would be near certainly Baldomare.

Your plan is almost the exact same as the one Grey and I cooked up. We've compromised with each other can you meet us in the middle too? The only difference that really matters is one of the Selene actions.

I don't care either way about the specific Detectives action even if I think going foreign threats for the purpose of getting an expedition site is useless because we already have one we need to complete, one we're scrying for and a potential third.
I don't think the expedition site is useless because we're gathering lots of people that CAN do expeditions, so having more to do is nice.

Selene, Mareinette, Axe and Velvet can basically all one-shot most expeditions, with the exception of maybe the ones with unavoidable combat for Velvet (and an edge influence from Biedde would fix that too).

What were you using Selene for? I forgot. I can probably compromise there, I think. Was it the plan with her getting us a body for a Risen?

Don't specify who does what. Unless the action is exclusive, and has the pony's name saying that "[RARITY] Take a commission" I'll pick whoever is best for a task.
That's the idea behind this new system, also.
in that case yeah, I like my plan for the most part. Basically only Rarity and Selene's training need to be "exclusive", and everything else doesn't need us worrying too much about.

and then we can think about Velvet later, with a less complicated vote where we can argue all we want about calling an influence + Sacrament or Outsider, or instead summoning Biedde, where we go in the Mansus, and so on.

What bad impressions?

You mean the ones you only know from interludes or out-of-characters scene?

Because as far as Velvet is concerned, Axe is a foul-mouthed, unreasonable, spoiled brat who she won't let anywhere near her daughters! So of course Selene will not be present if Velvet is the one summoning Axe. :V

Jokes aside, leave the narrative part to me. And again, jokes aside, Velvet doesn't know about any "impressions" Axe has of her, other than what Velvet's own POV scenes allowed her.

There are ways to get what you want, but trying to push Selene into an action she's not mechanically involved is not it.
Note: Velvet actually DOES know that Axe got along with her daughters I think. We found her having a small doll which I THINK Velvet knows was gifted to her by our daughters, AND it was Silky who first noticed the summon expiring and was all sad and crying about it from seeing her dragged by chains, and presumably if we mention summoning Axe again Selene might have things to say about her too.

This is definitely dubious moral reasoning, but I'd be fine voting for a plan where we send Mareinette to a foreign land (like Griffonstone, for example) or at least a city in Equestria that's not Ponyville and let her off the leash there ;)😆.
Let's be real: if she wants to come back, she can come back easily. So we'd need to make such a place more attractive to her somehow.

and Griffinstone, the Dragonlands, and most other places... are not really GRAILY enough

Well, it doesn't matter for Selene's mental stability. There have been some suspicions about how the skills are supposed to help her deal with Celestia's mental stability.
Then again, Presumably Luna will not go and try to save her right now. She'll first at least complete this training, especially if we're going double(triple)-training

I suppose I could vote for this. I don't like that it doesn't follow up on the changelings at all, considering that's kind of our main job atm, but most of the mechanical bits are fine. Don't like that there's no evidence scry, but I suppose I can try and convince people into summoning a MitL on Velvet phase and have the Mare do it.

Quick quibble though, could you change the book search to specify that we want the book to be from an expedition, and not a purchase? Because the overall easiest would likely be a purchased level 5 book, which would be more expensive.
for the changelings, I was thinking... right now they're kind of a somewhat long term problem, but I was a bit curious (and worried) about foreign threats.

As I mentioned, this is around the time Sombra gets back with the Crystal Empire (which might unlock an expedition to get the Crystal Heart!), AND there's the Gauntlet of Fire for the dragons, the Storm King, and who knows what else.

We... kinda know NOTHING IC about other countries, and I'm a bit worried about the potential there.

as for mare scrying/scouting, I might very well vote for that. I'm trying to just not think about it until we see how the summon works and what are its traits.

I'm fine with the lvl 5 book note, just... if we find a book in a shop, doesn't stealing it basically work as a mini-expedition anyway? Or maybe a Moth/Knock challenge, I suppose.

@OurLadyOfWires could you speak on this? Let's say we scry for a lvl 5 book. If it's in a shop and costs too much (120 bits...), can we just steal it? Would that be an expedition? A knock + moth check? Should we specify shop vs expedition?

What were you using Selene for? I forgot. I can probably compromise there, I think. Was it the plan with her getting us a body for a Risen?
Yes, if we get a Risen then the odds for the MitL are 93%.
could you speak on this? Let's say we scry for a lvl 5 book. If it's in a shop and costs too much (120 bits...), can we just steal it? Would that be an expedition? A knock + moth check? Should we specify shop vs expedition?
Isn't that suboptimal? Presumably an expedition with a T5 book is of intermediate difficulty and if so it probably has other decent rewards we want. Plus we're spending an AP regardless the only question being how many bits it cost which will probably be between 20 and 50. Better to just have it be an expedition imo.

Last edited:
Yes, if we get a Risen then the odds for the MitL are 93%.

Isn't that suboptimal? Presumably an expedition with a T5 book is of intermediate difficulty and if so it probably has other decent rewards we want. Plus we're spending an AP regardless the only question being how many bits it cost which will probably be between 20 and 50. Better to just have it be an expedition imo.
I'm asking if it matters at all.

I mean, if the book is in a shop, then the shop could potentially have more lore books too, by that logic.

As for the Risen... I'd rather we didn't use a Selene action for that and just took the risk for the Mare in the Light. odds are good enough.

I don't feel too strongly about it though, so a variant with selene getting that would probably be my second choice

So, I looked over proposed plans and I must say that I am not happy with Risen action. Primarily because Selena with her Moth is most likely candidate for taking it. And I don't want her very first task from Velvet to be:"Welcome to family Luna. Now take this shovel and start digging. These graves won't rob themselves !"

Perhaps Fluttershy is better candidate? Especially if we use our free social to give her Winter 3 lesson. And we can give it by having her resurrect one of her dead animals or something along those lines. Then even their death would not separate her from her pets 😶

Except if Luna not busy with her training she kinds of takes over this action?

@OurLadyOfWires can we specify that we want to use animal body for Risen? Anything suitable as long it is not pony I mean. I think Luna would be less disturbed by this if she ends up taking this action. And would there be a mechanical difference to the action from this, like change in DC and such?

Also in CS there are mechanics where you send your edge cultists to abduct strangers for rituals. Can we send Comet Feet or one of our Edge summons to abduct some monsters from Everfree forest to use as sacrifice? Something with decent Edge would be very useful for Biddie summon this turn or next one. Knock out Ursa Minor, drag him to the major hall in the middle of night, conduct ritual. Seems doable?

And the last question is how Marinetee at express befriending.? If we task her with Filthy Rich social and specify that we would also use Leash to make him confidant, can we get him on Cover for Velvet action along with our servants to free our other followers for other actions or it is too exploity?

Also in CS there are mechanics where you send your edge cultists to abduct strangers for rituals. Can we send Comet Feet or one of our Edge summons to abduct some monsters from Everfree forest to use as sacrifice? Something with decent Edge would be very useful for Biddie summon this turn or next one. Knock out Ursa Minor, drag him to the major hall in the middle of night, conduct ritual. Seems doable?
Aren't Ursa Minors like. Larger than buildings?
Agreed — an action for 6% better odds really isn't worth it.

Makes a bigger difference for Biedde (15% increase), and he's a more important summons.
Using a Torn Risen for a MitL and also for Biedde aren't exactly mutually exclusive options...

Last edited:
I'm… pretty sure it was answered a long time ago that risen are pony corpses only. Something something they're made with memory resonances, animals don't have those. Or something.
Many animals in MLP kind of speak, if I remember correctly. But well, if that is the case I guess I would vote for plans where Luna can't be tasked with it then. If I don't come with one myself of course.

Many animals in MLP kind of speak, if I remember correctly. But well, if that is the case I guess I would vote for plans where Luna can't be tasked with it then. If I don't come with one myself of course.
If it's bad narratively, Bird can always make it so e.g. Fluttershy is the one digging a body up and Selene is covering our bases. I don't think digging up a body has ever necessitated a roll on the digger's end, or at least we were never shown one, so the corpse-digging action will presumably go to whoever's most okay with doing it. @OurLadyOfWires Can you comment on this?

Ah, it's not about sapiencd, it's about how the Mansus is, from all indications, a pony thing. We're not really sure why, but the other species are largely disregarded by many of its rules for some reason.

It's some sort of metaphysical difference, basically, not a measure of whether they're intelligent enough.
If it's bad narratively, Bird can always make it so e.g. Fluttershy is the one digging a body up and Selene is covering our bases. I don't think digging up a body has ever necessitated a roll on the digger's end, or at least we were never shown one, so the corpse-digging action will presumably go to whoever's most okay with doing it. @OurLadyOfWires Can you comment on this?
There's the question of suspicion from what I remember, but it's been long enough since most shake ups that it shouldn't matter too much.

Last edited:
I think grave digging needs stealth, or at least I kind of remember it like this. Admittedly it was very long ago.

@OurLadyOfWires could you speak on this? Let's say we scry for a lvl 5 book. If it's in a shop and costs too much (120 bits...), can we just steal it? Would that be an expedition? A knock + moth check? Should we specify shop vs expedition?
You can't tell.

No, really, even from a narrative perspective. You could find it forgotten in an alley, you could scry for a shop where it is being sold at a discount, you could find it in a shop that is selling at such an expensive price you would instead prefer to steal from it, or you can just receive an expedition.
Or I might make up something else entirely, if I think it's interesting.

Scrying for a book will find you the location for a book. That is, if you succeed in the ritual. Other than that, all bets are off.

@OurLadyOfWires can we specify that we want to use animal body for Risen? Anything suitable as long it is not pony I mean. I think Luna would be less disturbed by this if she ends up taking this action. And would there be a mechanical difference to the action from this, like change in DC and such?

And the last question is how Marinetee at express befriending.? If we task her with Filthy Rich social and specify that we would also use Leash to make him confidant, can we get him on Cover for Velvet action along with our servants to free our other followers for other actions or it is too exploity?
One at a time.

1 - Risen only from pony bodies. Go commit crimes.

2 - There is an action called "acquire a prisoner" that already covers that. Mind that you don't have a place to stash it, though. And when it comes to non-pony sacrifices, your informationals do mention that so far you only know how to sacrifice ponies or changelings. Animals or the like are either included as "materials" (like the black boar for Mareinette) or are just not useful as sacrifices. So, again, go commit crimes.

3 - Ask Mareinette to do it and find out yourself. Also, if you want to leash Filthy, ask for it during Velvet's phase as usual.

Grave digging and desecrating tombs is, generally, something that is noticed after the fact and make ponies talk. So it would certainly fall under the "suspicious" category.

But again, pick the option and let me worry about it. Velvet will consider her pawns followers' sensibilities as she assign tasks.

Meaning that, of course, if you order ALL your followers to "kill innocents" you will be tying my hands a bit. But as you pick your general actions, I will try not to hurt your social relationships and whatnot as I choose who does what.

Part of my "who is best suited?" analysis will consider that, and not just Lore levels.

A quick glance tells me that there are no mechanical bars to a Risen doing it. And the math suggests it's impossible to abuse this system. Even if you go full necromancer, you'd just be wasting actions after the first Free Risen. Since they only last two turns and such.

That is why we must raise them mid battle, where the corpses are all really close together!

If we want to get a book from an Expedition, we may as well scry for a level 6 book instead of a 5. Crank that Baldomare friendship gauge up a level.

Risen have to be pony bodies, because the Mansus is pony-centric. Such is the way of things.

I mean, if the book is in a shop, then the shop could potentially have more lore books too, by that logic.
I suppose that could be true? But the way the mechanics have worked so far leads me to believe unless we're hitting a library there won't be any additional books. And last I checked libraries aren't in the business of selling fancy antique books.
Yes, but what I'm saying is that I feel pretty strongly that spending an action for 6% better odds on a MitL is not worthwhile!
I believe what she is saying is that even if we don't use the Risen for the MitL summon this turn we can just use it next turn for Biedde.
If it's bad narratively, Bird can always make it so e.g. Fluttershy is the one digging a body up and Selene is covering our bases. I don't think digging up a body has ever necessitated a roll on the digger's end, or at least we were never shown one, so the corpse-digging action will presumably go to whoever's most okay with doing it.
I believe there was a detection roll for digging up bodies so the action will probably go to Selene due to the Moth. Unless of course Selene would object. I suppose Fluttershy could also object in which case um...

Who does it? 'cause the other APs are kinda already taken in our minds

I suppose that could be true? But the way the mechanics have worked so far leads me to believe unless we're hitting a library there won't be any additional books. And last I checked libraries aren't in the business of selling fancy antique books.

I believe what she is saying is that even if we don't use the Risen for the MitL summon this turn we can just use it next turn for Biedde.

I believe there was a detection roll for digging up bodies so the action will probably go to Selene due to the Moth. Unless of course Selene would object. I suppose Fluttershy could also object in which case um...

Who does it? 'cause the other APs are kinda already taken in our minds

Inb4 it turns out the Servants were always willing to fetch us corpses

If we want to get a book from an Expedition, we may as well scry for a level 6 book instead of a 5. Crank that Baldomare friendship gauge up a level.
Has that been confirmed or are people just assuming a Level 6 book will make Baldomare like Velvet more instead of giving another type of advantage?

That could also work yes.

Though with what Bird said, it sounds like we just have to scry for "the location of a Level 6 book" rather than getting specific with expedition sites and such. Or maybe that was just due to how Pittauro phrased the scry criteria? Dunno. If it shows us one being sold for regular price (240 bits), we're absolutely sending someone to steal it though :V

Has that been confirmed or are people just assuming a Level 6 book will make Baldomare like Velvet more instead of giving another type of advantage?
We have been told that the conversation we had with Baldomare was a relationship progress freebie equal to giving her a Level 5 Book and were then told us that something good would happen if we give her a Level 6 book but nothing more than her summoning period getting refreshed if we "gave" her a Level 5 one again, Bird had previously marked as insightful my guess that Baldomare's friendship will require a sequential gifting of a Level 5, Level 6, and then Level 7 book, and earlier in this thread (pretty recently) Bird confirmed that the Name's friendship quests are directly related to their refresh conditions.

So while it technically hasn't been explicitly confirmed, it's been very heavily implied.

That could also work yes.

Though with what Bird said, it sounds like we just have to scry for "the location of a Level 6 book" rather than getting specific with expedition sites and such. Or maybe that was just due to how Pittauro phrased the scry criteria? Dunno. If it shows us one being sold for regular price (240 bits), we're absolutely sending someone to steal it though :V
With Luna on board it is Royal Acquisition

Perhaps Fluttershy is better candidate? Especially if we use our free social to give her Winter 3 lesson. And we can give it by having her resurrect one of her dead animals or something along those lines. Then even their death would not separate her from her pets 😶
Keep in mind that Risen are OUR winter Realization (lvl 3).

We have no idea what SHE would have.

For all we know she'd get a "painless death" skill she'd use for her sick animals.

Or maybe an "anti-panic" power.

maybe it will affect her "Stare".

You can't tell.

No, really, even from a narrative perspective. You could find it forgotten in an alley, you could scry for a shop where it is being sold at a discount, you could find it in a shop that is selling at such an expensive price you would instead prefer to steal from it, or you can just receive an expedition.
Or I might make up something else entirely, if I think it's interesting.

Scrying for a book will find you the location for a book. That is, if you succeed in the ritual. Other than that, all bets are off.
good to know just how specific we're allowed to be.

mh... should we aim for a lvl SIX book at that point, then? lvl 5 extends Baldomare, but lvl 6 explicitly progresses her social link (sort of).

I tend to agree, though to be fair lvl 5 books are likely to be more common, and that USUALLY means easier to reach.

Then again, we got the Lantern 6 book from an auction (narratively), and the other lvl 6 book (grail) was I think a tapestry in a wealthy (but in debt) pony's house.

It's very much possible that, for example, such a book might be in the Apple's Farm, as an old Apple heirloom.

Or in Twilight's Library.

or in Filthy Rich's shop.

or maybe it's just in someone's house in a forgotten drawer.

I tend to agree, though to be fair lvl 5 books are likely to be more common, and that USUALLY means easier to reach.

Then again, we got the Lantern 6 book from an auction (narratively), and the other lvl 6 book (grail) was I think a tapestry in a wealthy (but in debt) pony's house.

It's very much possible that, for example, such a book might be in the Apple's Farm, as an old Apple heirloom.

Or in Twilight's Library.

or in Filthy Rich's shop.

or maybe it's just in someone's house in a forgotten drawer.
Maybe we'll get pointed to the Grail 6 tapestry and we can send Mareinette to seduce it out of that noble (was he a noble? idr) :V

Maybe we'll get pointed to the Grail 6 tapestry and we can send Mareinette to seduce it out of that noble :V
or we'll just send Biedde to steal it.

...or Velvet can get Rarity to make her a stylish ninja costume, and she can go herself! Darkvision + Locks open themselves + Moth reroll + Lantern to quickly recognize the right item with a touch is a decent combo.

I've got a moment.

I have to guess, but when I do, it's another ritual. Something closer to Harmony than the lores. The culmination of befriending them. The.... Friendship Quests we have been calling them. Remember what Baldomare said in parting. "Thank you for not letting me get attached to this world." This world, the Wake. It is different than they used to know. They seep into the world and, with the right encouragement, it does the same to them.

Baldomare knows, it's kind of her thing. So she adapts.
Mareinnete is full of Old Knowledge. The world adapts to her.
Ax.... Passes through, unchanged. Reaching her will be different.

We will have to let Baldomare "Go have fun" at some point. Not this turn, as I'm sure she would see the practicality of the Key that Only Opens when we go where all doors are shut. But she will find something then. Something for us, and for herself.

Ax knows she needs the key. But past that ... We don't know her well enough.

Mareinnete needs..... Goodness. That's a whole other anthill.

Either way, I feel we are on the right path. Baldomare leads to Ax. Then... Ha! Who am I kidding?
Planning past the now is a fools errand. And now at least? We walk a good path I feel.

I'll probably be asleep when the moratorium ends, so here's my probably final version of the plan.

I don't have any fun name in mind, so I'll be boring and just call it

[] Plan Pittauro

-[] Axe, yes! (Costs one VELVET action)

-[] [DETECTIVES] The dangers in the dark come from outside of Ponykind as well. Listen to the rumors. Study the myths. Look for the threats from without. (Search for Expedition Sites for your later consideration. Additionally, keep an ear on the ground for other "foreign" threats)

-[] [CONSTABLES] It is less paperwork for you if they just help with the investigations. (NO ACTION from the Constables. GAIN one VELVET action for the next phase)

-[] [COMMISSIONER] The Bureau is more than an institution, it is a gathering of dedicated ponies working towards a unified goal. Ingrain yourself with them. (Establish, increase, or salvage the loyalty of the Bureau towards you personally.)

-[] [RARITY] Take a commission. (Gain at least 100 bits immediately, will "fail" her career roll)

-[] [SELENE] Realize something about Edge. (Unlock her Edge skill) (TRAINING ACTION)
-[] [SELENE] Realize something about Knock. (Unlock her Knock skill) (TRAINING ACTION)

-[] One extra Velvet action! (Costs 2 follower actions)

-[] You need somepony to perform this ritual… (Reflection of the Tapestry, search for "The Key that Only Opens" the Daughter of Axe wants)
--[] To be performed on the safe place Baldomare directed you to. (Will expire at the end of turn 20)

presumably done by Baldomare.

-[] You need somepony to perform this ritual… (Reflection of the Tapestry, search for "the easiest lvl 6 book we can get for Baldomare")
--[] To be performed on the safe place Baldomare directed you to. (Will expire at the end of turn 20)

-[] WRITE IN: Canterlot part 2 expedition

-[] Attack your foe, or defend yourself. In war, there is no other option.
--[] [GUARD] You would very much like to keep this safe.

Only real change I made is that we're scrying for a lvl 6 book instead of lvl 5. Considering we're also doing TWO other expeditions AT LEAST (Canterlot now, Frangiclave PROBABLY next turn, though maybe turn 21), and maybe 3 (if Bureau finds another expedition site), we already have a decent chance of getting a lvl 5 book there.

But if we don't, hey, there's also the lvl 6 book we're explicitly scrying for.

Surely one of those FOUR possibilities will be doable before Baldomare expires?

In the end I decided not to go for Risen. I just don't think the follower action (which would likely be from Selene) is worth the minor bonus it would give to Mare-in-the-Light summoning.

Ideally with this plan we are guarded by one Name, we have another exploring Canterlot, Rarity makes us bits, Selene trains, we find a lead to the lvl 6 book... All in all I think we're doing everything important that doesn't require Velvet Explicitly.

We can talk about Velvet's actions (if we do Sacrament or Outsider Search now, if we focus more on Mansus or not, if we study the books (and the unknown one might very well be ANOTHER expedition site!), if we want to spend time with Filthy Rich, or teach the lores to Rarity/Jade/Fluttershy...) later.

Wait, the current plan for the Biedde summon is to use a T3 reagent and a Risen, if we're making the Risen in turn 20 then would that not mean Biedde wouldn't be summoned early like we've started to do so now?

Also currently our supposition is that Selene will cover our bases and Flutershy will get us the body. The Risen this creates could that not be used to cover our bases and so frees up Selene's AP for another training action?

Last edited:
Wait, the current plan for the Biedde summon is to use a T3 reagent and a Risen, if we're making the Risen in turn 20 then would that not mean Biedde wouldn't be summoned early like we've started to do so now?
Nah, I think it just means we're effectively raising the Risen and then immediately sacrificing it.

@Pittauro While I still have some quibbles (mainly not following up on changelings), I would like to ask: could you be convinced to swap out one of the Selene realizations for the +5 general bonus training? I feel like it's best to do that one as early as possible, since it's effectively an easy +5 bonus to everything we might ask her to do.

@Pittauro While I still have some quibbles (mainly not following up on changelings), I would like to ask: could you be convinced to swap out one of the Selene realizations for the +5 general bonus training? I feel like it's best to do that one as early as possible, since it's effectively an easy +5 bonus to everything we might ask her to do.
I suppose. Do other people have strong arguments against it?

You can post the plan first too if you're awake when the moratorium expires, by the way. it doesn't matter much.

You could also post that changeling variant. I'll see if people have strong opinions about the Selene training and pick them depending on that I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back