• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

I could have sworn I asked and Bird replied specifically with no, because of the whole scrap thing. Do you have a quote?

I will spare us all (myself included) from curiously searching for a quote.

"Level 7 books exist."

And they are oh so special. For, uh, reasons.

An, literally in response to me making the exact same claim before. :V

Right, now I remember. Bird misspoke the first time or realized later that "yeah, this should probably exist" and retconned it, or something. Explains why I was messed up.

Initial reactions

Oh boy, I was ignoring all the emails I was getting because I thought they were just the previous updates being uploaded. I just happened to think "I wonder how far along Bird is", and wow, a new update! I didn't expect to be eating so well so soon :D. Yes, I've made the hop over, and I'm eager to experience the fully faithful, horrifying artistic vision of Bird (or should I say Our Lady?) :eek:.

I forgot how fast the thread moved sometimes. I definitely have no chance of reading every post. I really wish there were a way of seeing the "biggest hits" replies in a time range that have the most likes or something. Also, the inability to see the most popular option at a given time directly in the site itself is something I'll miss, but if I get un-lazy enough, I might see if I can run the vote-counter myself. You could argue not being able to see is more faithful to a real vote, but I miss my strategic voting!

My brain also kind of seems to have emptied out all the facts it had accumulated about the lores and some of the finer details about theories and such, but hopefully they come back.

Commentary

Alright, my commentary on the update:

"TODAY IS THE DAY A PRINCESS GETS MARRIED!"
Ugh, all my lore knowledge has fallen out of my brain, and I was originally going to try reading too much into things, but it all fell apart. It's not that the specific assignments correspond to anything anything (besides IS and MARRIED), it's just "all the lores are here!"/"Velvet is saying this with her entire being!"

Every last pony in the Royal Castle feels that something just happened, even though almost none of them heard your voice.
I forgot one reason I liked this story so much. Having superpowers! And the strange metaphysics of something outside of a mind still influencing the mind, through an unknown conveyance.

whatever the Tartarus
I wonder if Tartarus is an expedition site, heh. That this is secret histories colored has me intruiged! Can we find an excuse to visit related to our Bureau duties? Ha!

You could almost feel something radiating from her. Not an oppressive presence that would weigh you down into bowing, but instead a soothing presence that filled your heart with joy and love.
As if every groom and bride that ever existed in pony history were just practicing, or perhaps serving as test subjects, for what happened today.
Random thought: if Cadance gets her own color… I wonder if it was Harmony's intention to create its own lore-forces to replace the old system? I can kind of remember Harmony being an outside force that wishes to occupy this world with its dead Mansus. Although, since Celestia and Luna have never (?) had their own colors, it may just be a Cadance thing. Reading the thread, looks like others have similar ideas:
Pretty sure I mentioned it in my omake but my theory on Harmony's plot is that it is attempting to subvert the Lores with its Elements

your two earth-pony and pegasus daughters, and the unicorn younger sister of your best friend
Hmm, if I were planning the wedding, I wouldn't like Softy being a different age than the others. Oh well.

"She will, I promise. Now get a move on, Silky, otherwise the dessert table might get cleaned up!" Soft Sweeps says.

And her words seems to have the desired effect, because moments later your daughter's eyes go wide open, and she is galloping walking as fast as she can towards the lavishly stocked food tables. Dragging Selene by the hoof without even thinking about it.
I need to remember stuff like this when trying to write kids this cute!

What if a group of disgruntled nobles, be they guests or not, try to make a scene? What if something worse happens?
Ho ho, I see someone remembered my omake/apocrypha/fan fiction (In which the reins are seized) :D. If it's intentional, thank you for the tribute @OurLadyOfWires, hehe 😇.

As a general reaction: I kind of forgot about Bird's style, which frequently makes use of a chain of short, related thoughts, each on their own line. I might try an omake in which I imitate it and other aspects for fun; there are various examples of my "natural" style out in the world already. It kind of reminds me of how the optimal reading width for easy reading is much narrower than it is on forums such as these, but I just discovered there's a "Change width" option at the bottom that's a lot easier on the eyes on wide screens.

I didn't read that carefully 'cause I devoured the update too ravenously, but I didn't see any typos.

Vote

If I'd been on time, I would have approval voted for "A disturbed guest", "A self-invited guest", and "A Royal guest".

Last edited:
And more importantly, I hope you are all doing well!

I'm doing great! Was really bummed out for a while due to getting kicked out of the SV quest for my opinion that there wasn't going to be rape (was totally wrong and really misjudged the QM) but now I'm back in the quest.

In fact I'm so happy to be back I'll write a celebratory omake! People here liked my last one on giving Selene a choice.

So I've got a couple of omake ideas, give me some feedback people on which one you want me to write.

Dream of Selene: An omake of Selene meeting her sibling and them bonding. Another brother visits Selene in a dream and they talk.

Child of Love/What Divided the Sun: A negaverse omake of Cadence. Cadence has the power to subconsciously see the child she'll make with the one she loves and she loves Velvet Covers. A possible future, a child that is nothing at all like Flurry Heart, a loving son.

What Covers Velvet's Hooves: A negaverse omake of Cadence. Cadence takes an action to find out more about Velvet focusing on what happened with Twilight. A interesting trait is revealed and Cadence gains new respect for Velvet.

A True Victory: A omake of a history where Velvet beats Copper. Of course the best way to defeat somepony is to make them your friend. Velvet has burned that bridge with Copper but there is another. And at her lowest, when her heart is broken, when herself is shattered under Velvet's hoofs another comes to reforge her. Thus maid Copper becomes Soft Sweeps minion.

So which one do you guys like and want me to write?

Last edited:
After the marriage New
There is a saying that good times are not supposed to last. Otherwise, you would just get used to them, and they wouldn't be special anymore… or something like that. You are not really sure. You can't really quote a pony who said that. But still, you are sure somepony, at some point, penned those thoughts onto paper.

Still, the details don't really matter.

What matters is that you hate that saying.

You hate it, and you hate the fact that you agree with it even more.

Cadance's marriage is finally over. Of course, you are only referring to the "official" event. Because although the festivities ended several hours ago, when the royal couple took their leave to begin their honeymoon, the "unofficial" festivities went on for several hours after that.

Heavens, you are sure that some ponies are still celebrating. Even though it is almost midday of the following day. Every now and then you can still hear fireworks in the skies above Canterlot, or the very distant murmur of a song echoing throughout the city.

However, the fact remains that, for all intents and purposes, Cadance's marriage ceremony was "yesterday". It was "yesterday", and now you are living the "today" that comes after that.

And that is… well, it's not bad. But it's not mind-numbingly good either.

Still, time only marches in one direction, so you have no choice but to keep up with it.

Your family is making its way back to Ponyville right now, after spending one last night in the Royal Castle with you. Your poor husband looked a little worse for wear, but he assured you it was just regular tiredness. Of course, you were worried about him, but only until he reminded you that… well, he can't really copy your methods so of course he wouldn't be fully rested after just half a night of sleep. Especially given the size and proportion of yesterday's party.

And you suppose that makes sense… still, you asked the fillies to look out for him, and reluctantly let them go their way.

Rarity is also going with them, of course. She offered to stay with you for a while longer, and let Stormchaser take her sister back home, but you told her there was no need for that. After all, you don't really think anything will be happening in Canterlot for the next few days.

In fact, you don't think a lot of things will be happening in Equestria for the next few days. After all, yesterday and today were declared official holidays. And you just feel like things will take a while to settle down back into normalcy.

Regardless, you still thought that staying here in Canterlot would be for the best.

So this is why you are currently in your guest room, inside the Royal Castle, talking to a… particular guest.

Or would it be better to say that you are collecting a debt you are owed?

"You know, in a better time this sort of thing would have cost you Sprintiae. Actually, do you even know what Sprintia is? Eh, whatever. Those were actually worse times when you think about it, anyways."

You patiently nod as Baldomare, her horn glowing with soft magic, gently unbuckles her saddle-bag from her back. You can hear the clinking sound of glass bottles coming from inside the thing, as she very carefully places it on the ground, but you try not to think too much about it.

Or rather, you try not to think too much about how many bottles you can hear. Because you know for a fact that you instructed the kitchen staff to give her two bottles, but you are sure that you can hear more than just that coming from her saddle-bag.

Still, you are not about to lock horns with a Name about that. Especially when you still need said Name to uphold her part of your bargain.

"Be that as it may, Baldomare, you still agreed to a price, and we made a deal. So, what can you tell me about this… anchor? That was the word you used, right?" you ask, still hoping the mare won't just change her mind.

"Yes, yes, I know. And a promise is a promise, as long as you have standards, so I'll keep to my word as well."

She says that, looking around for a place to sit after she is satisfied with the safety of her precious package. Still, you can tell that she is now dedicating her attention to you, rather than just making idle chatter.

"So, the anchor. Let me start by saying that you already know about it. What I am about to tell you isn't really anything new, because I am just helping you connect the dots. But again, I was honestly surprised when y-"

"Wait, what do you mean I already KNOW about it?!" you say. Or rather, the surprised words leave your mouth before you can stop them.

To which Baldomare responds by rolling her eyes in annoyance.

"Yes, I was about to get there, Velvet. Mansus' light, I forgot how… eager you could be, during our conversations," she says.

Although she is talking to herself more than she is talking to you. She has already given up on chastising you for your curiosity, you think.

"But if you think back to… how long was it, five months ago? Five and a half? Well, right around when you summoned me for the first time, you told your cult about something you found here in Canterlot." She says that, and then she looks you in the eyes. Her previous annoyance completely gone, and replaced by something else.

You don't really feel that she is looking into you, but her expression is still…

"Don't you remember it, Velvet? It wasn't the kind of thing an adept would overlook. Even though you knew you couldn't comprehend it, back then, you still realized you had stumbled upon something that was beyond you."

The way Baldomare is saying that… the specific period she is referring to… you think back to everything you told the Cult, when you were still a part of it. You think back to all the tasks your former Master gave you, and the reports you presented to it…

You think back to all the times you have been to Canterlot, before entering the Royal Castle became more routine to you. And you remember…

Oh.

"Yes, exactly," Baldomare says, as if she could see what you are thinking about right now. As if your eyes were showing her the very memory you are recalling.

Well, considering her nature, that might really be what is happening right now, from her point of view.

"The statue," you say to yourself.

"The statue exists in all the Histories at once, yes. Well, that's not really what it's doing. But given your understanding of things, that is the best way to describe it," she says.

You think back to that moment, that day you were walking through the Royal Gardens… or was it at night? You can't really remember. Still, you try to remember it. You try to recall what the statue looked like. Heavens, you try to remember anything about it, but the only thing you can truly recall is…

… that feeling…

"Wait, you said that's not what it was doing? Then what-?" you try to ask, three questions coming up to you before you can even finish your thoughts.

But Baldomare interrupts you. Or rather, she raises a hoof to stop you, and you realize you will not get any answers from the Name that she is not willing to give.

However, you can tell that she is also not done talking.

"Like I said, that is the part you already knew. That statue, or the thing you want to call a statue, is the anchor I was talking about. Something that a creature of my disposition can use for… well, it doesn't really matter. Still, none of this is new to you, and I'm just helping you connect the puzzle pieces you already have."

The mare then lays back on her cushioned seat, looking up as she thinks about something. That is, until she finally shrugs, perhaps deciding that a simple explanation is the best way to get this done with.

"Now, I will tell you two things you don't know yet."

She says that, and you realize that at some point you went to the edge of your own seat, ears perked up as she continues to speak.

"First: that thing you called a statue is actually an Outsider. And, well, given the state it was in when you saw it, I think it's safe to say that it is… or was immobilized. Well, it's probably still immobilized. Outsiders literally play by their own rules, so I think we would have noticed if it was free and operating in the Wake."

Your eyes go wide as she… as she just casually says that. To think there is an Outsider within reach… hay, to think there is one in Canterlot of all places!

You almost say something, but Baldomare once again raises a hoof to stop you. But this time, it is because she already knows what question you are about to ask.

"The second thing is that I don't know where it is. It is nearby, and that is for sure. Within this city, or at least somewhere in this mountain. But looking for it is like… well, the best way to describe it is that trying to look for it is like looking at a kaleidoscope, or a house of mirrors. The thing was moved, for sure, but wherever it was moved to is warded in a way that ponies in this Era probably forgot how to replicate. Scrying for it would have been hard even for me, so I am glad we caught wind of it like this."

Baldomare says that, and then she gets up from her seat. Floating up her precious saddle-bag as she makes her way towards the door.

"So, you will have to look for it," she says as she leaves your guest room.

However, despite the finality in her words, you can't help but notice the smile she has on her face. More than that, you can't help but think the Name sounds a little excited.

Because sure, even though you have no idea of where that statue is… heavens, even though a Name of Lantern just told you she doesn't know where it is either, both of you realize that…

Well, this is the closest you have ever been to it yet. This is the closest anypony has been to reaching Glory, ever since the Summit Gate was locked at the closing of another Era.

Velvet Covers has discovered than an Outsider, perhaps the only one you will ever find in your lifetime, exists somewhere in Canterlot.

She will now have the option to "Search Canterlot" to look for it.

"Search Canterlot" is currently at 0/200 progress, and is influenced by Intrigue and Secret Histories.

- - -

- - -

- - -

Above the skies of Equestria, a flying chariot made its way to the south.

Within its spacious confines, six ponies were waiting for their (relatively short) trip to end. The youngest of them looking out through the window while the older ones engaged in light conversation.

Of course, flying chariots are a rare breed to begin with. And the midnight black-and-purple one that was carrying them was no exception. So, it was only natural that their current transport was one of the topics they were discussing.

"Goodness gracious, is this really how it feels like to fly? And Sweetie Belle, darling, could you please keep your hoofs off from the doorhandle?"

"Don't worry about it, Rarity. The doors are locked, and it takes more to unlock them than just twisting the handle. And to answer your question, no, flying feels a lot better in my opinion."

"Is that so, Stormchaser? Why is that?"

"Well, for loads of reasons. The wind on your face, the sensation of punching through a cloud. Even the scenery is better, mind you. Looking out through a small window like this one doesn't really do it justice."

"I'll take your word for that… Still, I can't thank Velvet enough for arranging this for us. I mean, you heard about it as well, didn't you? About how the trains out of Canterlot are already fully booked for the next few days?"

"Yes, I heard about it. It does make sense, though, considering how packed Canterlot was. Although… I still don't think Velvet needed to go this far for us…"

"Oh, darling, don't give me that. You know how Velvet is. Especially when it comes to you all!"

"Yes, yes, I know. And I am thankful to her, don't get me wrong. But still… telling our carriage-pullers that taking us home was a matter of national security…?"

"It just goes to show how much she cares about you."

"… and then threatening to fire them if any one of us got sky-sick during the trip…?"

"Well, I… maybe Velvet did go a bit overboard? Well regardless. I have something I have been meaning to ask you, Stormchaser. Right after the ceremony was over, I noticed you were gone for a while. Or so I was told. Could I possibly ask what you were doing, right after the wedding finished?"

"I… nothing important, Rarity. Don't worry about it. Y'know, just… stallion business and all."

"Could it possibly have anything to do with the whispers I heard about how you were seen talking to-"

"Isaiditwasn'tanythingimportant!"

The magical chariot flew across the sky, a tiny dark dot within an endless sea of blue.

Until it finally reached its destination, landing in the growing town of Ponyville.

And after that, its passengers went their separate ways.

- - -

Somewhere in the growing town of Ponyville, within a conspicuously shaped fashion saloon, a unicorn mare prepares for another day of work.

However, if anypony were to look at her at that moment, then almost nopony would be able to recognize her as she currently is.

Because one week ago, she was not just a mere pony. She was Madame Rarity, the dazzlingly beautiful, uniquely talented, and most importantly mysterious unicorn who had soared into the fashion industry one year ago. The cryptic and reclusive, but undeniably genius, designer who was currently releasing hit after hit for the Needle family, under her exclusive line of Designs By Rarity.

Yes, one week ago, she was impeccably dressed, hooficured, and styled for what was the greatest wedding in pony history. And of course, more importantly, she was present for the debut of yet another one of her own designs. One that was worn by nopony other than the bride herself.

By the alicorn bride.

In the alicorn wedding.

Did she already mention she made the dress for the first alicorn wedding ever?

Anyhow, it is safe to say that Madame Rarity was surrounded by a crowd of admirers on that momentous occasion. One that was dwarfed only by the crowd around the Princess herself.

But that was then, and this is now. And right now… well, right now Madame Rarity is nowhere to be seen.

Instead, a unicorn mare who just woke up is slowly making her way to her kitchen, to prepare for another day of work. Her mane still unkept, and her eyes still squinting against the unwelcome light coming from the half-open windows.

She opens her mouth and lets out a loud, unsightly yawn. But still, she doesn't chastise herself over it. After all, the only other resident of that place, her younger sister, is still fast asleep upstairs.

Lucky filly, she thinks, able to sleep in during a weekend… only having school to worry about and…

She thinks about that, and other vague thoughts besides-

-until her thoughts are interrupted by the sound of knocking coming from her door.

Rarity's ears perk up at that. Not because it is strange for somepony to knock on her door, although that has happened a lot less ever since she closed her boutique around one year ago. But still, it's strange that somepony is knocking this early in the morning.

Still, no further knocks arrive. Instead, Rarity hears the low, metallic sound of her door's mail slot being pushed open, followed by the sound of a letter falling towards the floor.

Ah, she thinks, it was just the mailpony. Or maybe the courier from the Velvets, bringing another telegram from the Needles.

Rarity shakes her head, and lazily makes her way towards the front door to collect the letter. She knows that reading something will help her brain wake up more quickly. So, she lights up her horn, collects the letter, and absent-mindedly rips it open to take out its content.

Still, she is so sleepy that she doesn't even realize that the letter is perfumed, and unusually fancy. Even for her own standards.

In fact, she doesn't even realize the sender is… well, that the letter is not from the Needles. Or from anypony else she knows, for that matter.

She just reads it to herself, as she resumes the process of making her own breakfast.

"Dear Madame Rarity…" she reads out loud. "We are so thankful for your delightful presence and attention during the wedding and…"

She reads through the letter without giving it much thought.

Or rather, she reads the letter without giving it much attention… until she does.

And by the time she reaches the end of the letter, her breakfast is almost entirely forgotten. And she is floating the letter right before her eyes, re-reading every single word almost as if she can't believe what she is looking at.

"… and we are willing to cover any breach-fines with the Needles. On top of your own commission. Whatever price it takes for your precious time is…?!"

It takes a long while for Rarity to remember about her breakfast.

And she doesn't dare read that letter again, or even touch it, until she can meet her more-business-savvy best friend.

Rarity is now able to "Take a Commission", accepting a private commission from a wealthy patron for an exclusive piece of clothing. To create another piece from the designer who clothed a Princess during her marriage.

When taking a commission, Rarity will be unavailable for the remainder of the turn, and will automatically fail her "career" roll for that month. However, Velvet Covers will immediately receive a large downpayment of at least 100 bits. (This downpayment is applied at the beginning of the turn that action is taken, rather than the usual end of turn). Performing this option is particularly taxing for Rarity.

More to follow.

Last edited:
The thing was moved, for sure, but wherever it was moved to is warded in a way that ponies in this Era probably forgot how to replicate.
So it probably wasn't Celestia that moved it, unless she just got lucky and built her vaults inside an ancient warded ritual site or something.

Last edited:
Velvet Covers has discovered than an Outsider, perhaps the only you will ever find in your lifetime, exists somewhere in Canterlot.

"Search Canterlot" is currently at 0/200 progress, and is influenced by Intrigue and Secret Histories.
Hmm, that's actually not that bad. If we focus our Attention over two turns, one action a turn would actually have pretty good chances of covering that. Or we can drop an SH Influence from Baldomare and go ham with two actions. One free Attention means that would be… 12+12(Intrigue twice+40+20(SH Application with one Attention)+40+40(Influence)=164 automatically, with two rolls and a reroll.
"Well, I… maybe Velvet did go a bit overboard? Well regardless. I have something I have been meaning to ask you, Stormchaser. Right after the ceremony was over, I noticed you were gone for a while. Or so I was told. Could I possibly ask what you were doing, right after the wedding finished?"

"I… nothing important, Rarity. Don't worry about it. Y'know, just… stallion business and all."

"Could it possibly have anything to do with the whispers I heard about how you were seen talking to-"

Hmm. Stallion things, talked to someone important, he's really embarrassed… my guess is either Shining Armor because he noticed Velvet's interest in the stallion, or Cadence for some sort of marriage love magic shenanigan or something. Maybe he's thinking he wouldn't mind having two kids in the house for longer and looking for an alternative.
Rarity is now able to "Take a Commission", accepting a private commission from a wealthy patron for an exclusive piece of clothing. To create another piece from the designer who clothed a Princess during her marriage.

When taking a commission, Rarity will be unavailable for the remainder of the turn, and will automatically fail her "career" roll for that month. However, Velvet Covers will immediately receive a large downpayment of at least 100 bits. (This downpayment is applied at the beginning of the turn that action is taken, rather than the usual end of turn). Performing this option is particularly taxing for Rarity.
Near, a get rich quick option. I don't think we need it soon, but it could be useful.

Your family is making its way back to Ponyville right now, after spending one last night in the Royal Castle with you. Your poor husband looked a little worse for wear, but he assured you it was just regular tiredness. Of course, you were worried about him, but only until her reminded you that… well, he can't really copy your methods so of course he wouldn't be fully rested after just half a night of sleep. Especially given the size and proportion of yesterday's party.
Oh Velvet you dog.

However, despite the finality in her words, you can't help but notice the smile she has on her face. More than that, you can't help but think the Name sounds a little excited.
I mean who wouldn't be?

A mystery! And someone getting to the glory!

And its someone for an appreciation with the histories even! What luck...

Yes, one week ago, she was impeccably dressed, hofficured, and styled for what was the greatest wedding in pony history. And of course, more importantly, she was present for the debut of yet another one of her own designs. One that was worn by nopony other than the bride herself.

By the alicorn bride.

In the alicorn wedding.
Yeah. Somehow I think Rarity is going to be having... career options.

What Covers Velvet's Hooves: A negaverse omake of Cadence. Cadence takes an action to find out more about Velvet focusing on what happened with Twilight. A interesting trait is revealed and Cadence gains new respect for Velvet.
I would love to see your take on this.

Velvet has both done and incredible amount for Cadence and betrayed her trust near utterly.

We killed something just short of a god to protect her... from a danger we kept from her.

Last edited:
I mean who wouldn't be?

Of course, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that as soon as someone does break that seal, then just about anybody can follow behind. You know, assuming Velvet doesn't stop them. And hey, being one of the people that helped her get there makes that requirement a whole heck of a lot easier, doesn't it?

Especially since if anyone would know when it's about to happen, it'll be Baldomare, helping or not. She can be prepared.

Hmm, that's actually not that bad. If we focus our Attention over two turns, one action a turn would actually have pretty good chances of covering that. Or we can drop an SH Influence from Baldomare and go ham with two actions. One free Attention means that would be… 12+12(Intrigue twice+40+20(SH Application with one Attention)+40+40(Influence)=164 automatically, with two rolls and a reroll.
Using an Influence from Baldomare means we wouldn't be able to use her to scry Frangiclave next turn, tho. And I would really like to do that.

Maybe a called Influence? But I'll have to do some math on whether x2 search on T19 and x1 search T20 would still be better than CoI + x1 search on T19 and x1 search on T20. And of course, bits are always a limiting factor.

Near, a get rich quick option. I don't think we need it soon, but it could be useful.
Well we do need to get a book for Baldomare and/or have a no doubt expensive expedition coming up (hopefully) soon(ish)...

Last edited:
Using an Influence from Baldomare means we wouldn't be able to use her to scry Frangiclave next turn, tho. And I would really like to do that.
That's true. I'm mostly just throwing ideas out and analyzing various options so people at least know what they'd be giving up.

And to be entirely fair, it'a not like bumrushing the search will let us get to Glory next turn or anything. From the sounds of it the search is to find an expedition, which we'll then either have to go in blind on or try to scry—when Baldomare already said she would have had trouble breaking through its defences—and we probably want all the Names we can get for that trip. Unless we're worried about them trying to steal the Outsider from us, but only Baldomare should really know why it's important, and she's already accepted that Velvet will be getting that Blood.

And then there's whatever comes after we actually get Discord. For all we know there's a process to killing him.

TFTC. So close to glory. We mustn't be caught trying to rush. When does Selene transform back into Luna? I am wondering if we can sync that even with us reaching the Glory so everyone will be focused on her rather than the stuff we are doing.

TFTC. So close to glory. We mustn't be caught trying to rush. When does Selene transform back into Luna? I am wondering if we can sync that even with us reaching the Glory so everyone will be focused on her rather than the stuff we are doing.
End of this turn. It's part of why figuring out what we might want to do next turn is so up in the air, bcuz a lot of stuff is going to depend on what exactly happens re:Selene's awakening. How does Luna feel about us, will we get Luna actions, will there be Fleeting Opportunities, how are we going to explain away Selene disappearing, etc.

Last edited:
All this is guessing but — I think max lore is 6 (can we really be better than a Name?) and level 7 is reserved for the Name that became the Master. I think Level 6 will require a Heirloom.
Considering in the CS game Name summons are kind of objectively weaker than just normal LONGS... I'm assuming they're using less than a fraction of their power in the Wake.

So yeah, I think we can be better than a Name in the Wake. Definitely not better than a Wake In the Mansus, not until we've gone through the Tricuspid at least.

As Baldomare once told us, "it doesn't matter how many secrets we have in our head if we then just die, and becoming Immortal requires a lot of work".

in our hands, Lore Knowledge is potential power when in the right situation. But Names are able to use that power far more easily, readily and widely.

All this is guessing but — I think max lore is 6 (can we really be better than a Name?) and level 7 is reserved for the Name that became the Master. I think Level 6 will require a Heirloom.

That is a cool idea. I've definitely also wondered if the lock was as much to keep something in as it was to keep something out.

It would be almost surprising if Harmony didn't have a connection to everything that went down towards the end, though I'm really not sure what form. I was thinking perhaps SiS created it and the the Forge locked it away? Alukite Names is definitely a scary proposition though, that's a reason to put a heavy ass chain on the gate!
Alukite HOURS, if either SiS and Forge were actually Harmony's parents and managed to eat it.

I think it was mentioned the child of two Longs would be "just a mortal", but a mortal with a special destiny.

and, presumably, the potential to become more.

But what of the child of two HOURS? Having it start as a Name-tier power that has the potential to grow beyond the Hours makes sense. and that describes Harmony pretty well, as a force that started off weaker than the Gods of old, but that arguably had the potential to become so much more.

It would potentially explain its weird abilities to grant entries to Outsiders into the World, AND of being able to purify Worms.

Nah. That's a thing in the base CS game, but in this quest if we would get a scrap lower than our level, it just kinda... Doesn't happen. Because we basically already do it doesn't tell us any more. Like if we were to study our level two knock artifact? We wouldn't get a scrap for it.
unless...

@OurLadyOfWires I don't suppose that if we managed to bring our Library in a lore to lvl 5 through bruteforcing it through lower level scraps, you'd allow us to study the library itself to reach that rank?

Normally that's strictly suboptimal, but once we get to high enough levels... it would basically replicate the CS "combine lower scraps in higher scraps" method. And it makes sense.

I forgot how fast the thread moved sometimes. I definitely have no chance of reading every post. I really wish there were a way of seeing the "biggest hits" replies in a time range that have the most likes or something. Also, the inability to see the most popular option at a given time directly in the site itself is something I'll miss, but if I get un-lazy enough, I might see if I can run the vote-counter myself. You could argue not being able to see is more faithful to a real vote, but I miss my strategic voting!
It's not really THAT many pages? Start from the last "ported" update, and it's around 15 pages.

I'm going through worse in a pokemon quest on Spacebattles, where we're averaging 100 pages every week or two. Somehow.

Admittedly posts here tend to be longer though.

I wonder if Tartarus is an expedition site, heh. That this is secret histories colored has me intruiged! Can we find an excuse to visit related to our Bureau duties? Ha!
I'd be surprised if it isn't. Presumably it's a really high level one though. Among other things TIREK and plenty of other prisoners are in there. I wouldn't be surprised if we could find Outsiders we could kill in there.

Random thought: if Cadance gets her own color… I wonder if it was Harmony's intention to create its own lore-forces to replace the old system? I can kind of remember Harmony being an outside force that wishes to occupy this world with its dead Mansus. Although, since Celestia and Luna have never (?) had their own colors, it may just be a Cadance thing. Reading the thread, looks like others have similar ideas:
The topic came up in these last few pages. Kidness, for example, could replace Winter, and it subverts Edge (as we saw with Comet).

Honesty could replace Lantern, and it arguably subverts Moth...

and so on.

It's not a sure thing that Harmony is an outside force though. Indeed, it let Outsiders in, so it implies it's OF this world instead.

My best guess right now is that Harmony is the child/creation of the Sun-in-Splendor and the Forge-of-Days, and they locked themselves behind the Tricuspid and close to Glory to stop themselves from eating it and becoming Alukites.

as normal children of Longs are "mortals with a special destiny" from canon, It wouldn't surprise me if Harmony started as something with the potential to surpass the Hours, but far weaker than them in the beginning.

I'm doing great! Was really bummed out for a while due to getting kicked out of the SV quest for my opinion that there wasn't going to be rape (was totally wrong and really misjudged the QM) but now I'm back in the quest.
that was very much not the reason.

From what I remember, you're continuous comments that could be simplified and summarized as "Harmony Bad, Wolf Good, Don't Trust Harmony, Go for Wolf" were judged to be a bit disruptive.

...I still remember being suspended for saying you were being a troll once. That annoyed me a LOT, and to this day I'm still not sure if you truly believe what you wrote or are just having fun playing the "evil" apologist.

I don't remember anything at all about the rape thing, though it's been quite some time so I might remember wrong.

Normally that's strictly suboptimal, but once we get to high enough levels... it would basically replicate the CS "combine lower scraps in higher scraps" method. And it makes sense.
It doesn't tho. Getting to Level 5 requires a Sacrament, and even if we have the scraps necessary in the library to reach Level 5 we still need to. You know. Complete a Sacrament.

Edit: And "combining" lower level scraps doesn't really make sense in the quest's format anyway, with how they're presented. It'd be like... trying to learn how to do calculus by studying algebra when you already know how to do algebra.

Last edited:
"You know, in a better time this sort of thing would have cost you Sprintiae. Actually, do you even know what Sprintia is? Eh, whatever. Those were actually worse times when you think about it, anyways."
I'm still not quite sure what Sprintiae even are, or how they're made.

I suppose they have inherent value because they're usable as ritual ingredients.

Or rather, you try not to think too much about how many bottles you can hear. Because you know for a fact that you instructed the kitchen staff to give her two bottles, but you are sure that you can hear more than just that coming from her saddle-bag.
well, 2 bottles... per History, I imagine. :V

"Now, I will tell you two things you don't know yet."
well, up to now it wasn't worth it. But NOW it's the juicy part, hopefully.

"First: that thing you called a statue is actually an Outsider. And, well, given the state it was in when you saw it, I think it's safe to say that it is… or was immobilized. Well, it's probably still immobilized. Outsiders literally play by their own rules, so I think we would have noticed if it was free and operating in the Wake."
"Outsiders operate by their own rules".

That definitely is a good way to explain Discord.

Velvet Covers has discovered than an Outsider, perhaps the only you will ever find in your lifetime, exists somewhere in Canterlot.

mh...

I'm still not 100% sure it was worth it. I think a ritual to search for Discord would have been enough to achieve this.

Still, it's progress.

"Yes, yes, I know. And I am thankful to her, don't get me wrong. But still… telling our carriage-pullers that taking us home was a matter of national security…?"

It's honestly not an exaggeration. A Velvet who actually lost her family WOULD be a threat to the nation after all...

"… and then threatening to fire them if any one of us got sky-sick during the trip…?"
...ok, that's a bit too much 😂

The Husband? The Wife? Lady Fair Trial?

Interesting.

Yes, one week ago, she was impeccably dressed, hofficured, and styled for what was the greatest wedding in pony history. And of course, more importantly, she was present for the debut of yet another one of her own designs. One that was worn by nopony other than the bride herself.

By the alicorn bride.

In the alicorn wedding.

Did she already mention she made the dress for the first alicorn wedding ever?

side note, more income for us from her.

But yeah, she's now basically the most successful fashion designer in history.

well, this on its own makes up for the "just get more bits" wedding pick we had, I think.

Of course it means we need to give up Rarity actions for it, but one action for 100 bits minimum for an action is STILL a lot, even if it comes with the double cost of "more stress" and "failed career roll" AND "it costs an action".

My first thought is that we want Rarity to go up to Grail 4 Forge 2 soonish, as that would help a bit.

and of course we need to not overdo this.

There's a question of if we can send Baldomare to do this for us.

SH Sacrament could also allow us to search for high rank books... but to be fair spending bits on books has become fairly inefficient. We'd be better off going on expeditions if we can instead.

We might need the bits for Biedde Summon though. With Axe we're fine thanks to Wrong Keys and Gifts, but not with Biedde.

true. 2 actions supported by Baldomare could very well be enough, and it's another major bit of progress towards Glory Ending.

And who knows... IF SH sacrament uses SH rolls (I expect winter rolls to resist mental damage, personally), it could help there too.

once we reach 200/200, I imagine this will unlock an expedition site. Probably a warded area under the control of the princess.

I mean who wouldn't be?

I still can't believe Baldomare has actually given up on reaching the Glory (well, on reaching it first. I imagine once the Tricuspid is gone she'd follow after us soon after, assuming she doesn't just surpass us at the last moment.

Of course, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that as soon as someone does break that seal, then just about anybody can follow behind. You know, assuming Velvet doesn't stop them. And hey, being one of the people that helped her get there makes that requirement a whole heck of a lot easier, doesn't it?

Especially since if anyone would know when it's about to happen, it'll be Baldomare, helping or not. She can be prepared.
True. Baldomare might have given up on being the FIRST... but then again, she wasn't interested in POWER. She wants KNOWLEDGE.

She explicitly said, when talking about the Woods, that she Hated the Woods because "She wanted to learn everything, and the nature of the Woods was to understand nothing".

So... I imagine she'd be fine being the SECOND being to reach Glory in this new era.

Hell, there's an argument that all the current Names could ascend to become Hours in Velvet's new pantheon (well... most of them. If we have a choice in it I doubt we'd approve of Mareinette unless we can... change her a bit first)

Of course who knows what happens once we reach Glory...

I get the feeling we'll need the Frangiclave anyway to break in to wherever Discord is being kept.

Egh, I miss our Hintseekers.
admittedly it should help. Both because "Knock 5 artifact minimum", but also because of its actual power.

So it ultimately was worth it to take the Baldomare option.

Nice.
it was never in question if it would be worth it. the question is, if it's worth it more than the other ones.

We PROBABLY could have unlocked this search by doing a good scrying ritual, I imagine. We'll see how it goes anyway.

It doesn't tho. Getting to Level 5 requires a Sacrament, and even if we have the scraps necessary in the library to reach Level 5 we still need to. You know. Complete a Sacrament.

Edit: And "combining" lower level scraps doesn't really make sense in the quest's format anyway, with how they're presented. It'd be like... trying to learn how to do calculus by studying algebra when you already know how to do algebra.
somehow I forgot about the Sacrament limit for a second. 😅

isn't that how calculus was discovered, by repeatedly going over the old system, and studying it until we made a more advanced system.

Btw, while I'd want Baldomare to scry Frangiclave T19, she should (might) be free T20. So we could start the search T19 w/ our own stats (X+53 w/ AotL) then have Baldomare finish it off (X+110). So we'd only need to get a total of 37 on the dice btwn us and Baldomare.

It's honestly not an exaggeration. A Velvet who actually lost her family WOULD be a threat to the nation after all...

...ok, that's a bit too much 😂

It would honestly only take us like 3-4 turns to completely get the Wolf-Divided ending, we are currently at 3/7 we can get to 4/7, by taking the wolf sacrament. Then we just need 2 more to reach 6/7 because our precious daughter is the 7th wolf, un-awakened. Thus the wolf will snuff out all light.

If he can actually kill I'd likely send him against Copper really.
If there is still enough left of coppers mind to be called alive.

Hmm. Stallion things, talked to someone important, he's really embarrassed… my guess is either Shining Armor because he noticed Velvet's interest in the stallion, or Cadence for some sort of marriage love magic shenanigan or something. Maybe he's thinking he wouldn't mind having two kids in the house for longer and looking for an alternative.
Or Shining because Shining just got married and has 0% idea how to be a good husband. And Velvet is a friend of his (might be a rare thing for him if he is dedicated to his job enough) who he knows is in a happy marriage, so he goes to her husband to learn about how he does it.

mh...

I'm still not 100% sure it was worth it. I think a ritual to search for Discord would have been enough to achieve this.

Still, it's progress.
Well, spilled milk.
Besides the search action we also got our ooc knowledge of discord laundered.
Tbf, Baldomare explicitly said that even she would have trouble scrying his location, and she's rolling a +110 bonus. I'm not sure I'd like those odds.
Yeah, but: Baldomare failing could have gotten us this option, too. A wasted Baldo action might not have been enough (in which case; very good investment getting it here), though.

Tbf, Baldomare explicitly said that even she would have trouble scrying his location, and she's rolling a +110 bonus. I'm not sure I'd like those odds.
We can also add reagents. It would have been expensive, but probably doable.

but again it seems to me like nothing that was offered there was beyond reach through normal actions.

the goal is 200, she has a plus 110, there for she needs to rool a 90 or above, aka a 1/10 chance of getting it in one turn.
I doubt it's a 200 in a single action. Either normal scrying would have unlocked this research on a fairly high (but not that high) roll, or you could add up the results of multiple rituals.

If there is still enough left of coppers mind to be called alive.
eh, our ritual was explicitly "not our best work". She'll likely recover given time.

Well, spilled milk.
Besides the search action we also got our ooc knowledge of discord laundered.
I'm not UNsatisfied. I would have preferred a different option, but this works too.

I doubt it's a 200 in a single action. Either normal scrying would have unlocked this research on a fairly high (but not that high) roll, or you could add up the results of multiple rituals.
Or it would have fizzled out and given us no information at all and we'd have wasted a Baldomare action (and possibly an expensive reagent) that we could have instead used for something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back