1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

General chat thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Nanimani, Dec 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

Why am I watching Made in Abyss clips with a Spanish dub? I don't even know the language.

Yet every time they pop up in my recommendations, I just can't help it. I need to click, and watch, and ponder on the comparative quality between all the dubbed versions. How voice actors for each character compare to each other and so on.

Let me also say that the VA for Nanachi in the Spanish dub steals the show.

2. Hatless Nuance

Hatless Nuance Versed in the lewd.

Thank you for clarifying. Though, no storage medium truly lasts forever, though some are better than others in varying conditions, and most can be maintained or repaired if not allowed to completely decay.
    People make these stories and imagine these scenarios without realizing just how much effort it takes to be sadistic, rather than just apathetic. To the point that the drive for sadism becomes nonsensical.

Heck, you mention the Dark Eldar? Their sadism actually does have a point, to a degree, but even then is still stupid because there are more sustainable, and less risky, means to keep their souls away from a dark god. They just refuse to give up their hedonism.

"Boss, why are we hurting people to accomplish a goal, thus making other people angry that we are hurting people, making our goal harder and even opposed, when we could have taken a route that is less resource intensive, doesn't hurt people, and nobody would mind or care about as we succeeded?"

Venyr4434, vyor and TanaNari like this.
  3. Arc-on-Fire

Arc-on-Fire I trust you know where the happy button is?

A long time ago, I watched Full Metal Alchemist. When Tucker revealed that he had spliced his daughter into his dog, I exploded into belly-aching laughter for four minutes straight. To this day I don't know why I laughed at that particular scene but I have a feeling that I'll laugh my ass off again if I re-watch it.

Venyr4434 and evildice like this.
  4. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Were you spoiled as to expect it?

Or maybe it was just over-wrought to ensure the lowest common denominator in the audience doesn't miss out on the big emotions.

5. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

I rolled my eyes when I saw it unspoiled. The show telegraphed that shit hard. The little girl couldn't have been more obviously heading for a bad end if she'd had "BAD END" tattooed on her forehead.

6. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Honestly? Manga did it better.

Still telegraphed, yes, but telegraphed in... well, a horror movie sort of way. Where you see it coming and hope you're wrong. Where you cross your fingers and hope it'll be narrowly averted in the end like the dollmaker (among others) was averted.

One of the things the anime failed to convey (though hinted at... poorly) was Ed starting to suspect something was seriously fucked about Tucker. It also... set up Shou's interest in Alphonse as a sort of red herring. Not much of one... the manga consistently teased Alphonse being at risk of dissection if discovered by the wrong person.

So, yeah, worked a lot better in the manga.

7. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Fair enough. I've not read the manga.

Venyr4434 and TanaNari like this.
  8. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

For the most part? Don't have to. The anime(s) were, generally, faithful to the manga. Though... watch the original for the first half. Brotherhood was choppy early on because it was trying to be different enough from the first to justify its own existence.

It was only after the anime overtook the manga and went off on its own tangent that Brotherhood really comes into its own.

But as a whole, the manga was better at the 'making the characters and world feel more nuanced and complex' thing, which includes enough extra Nina material to make her feel like a character that's staying around, and them picking up on Tucker early enough to make you think they'll catch on in time. And that time limit being set in a manner that feels like a ticking bomb.

Yeah, it sets up the suspense in such a way that you can almost convince yourself it's going to play out like an action movie rather than a slasher fic. Helped by the fact that, depending on arc, FMA does play like an action movie.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  9. Autocorruptor

Autocorruptor Corrupting Innocent Grammar

Does anyone else here like vaginussy?

TanaNari likes this.
  10. Keldin

Keldin Well worn.

If I ever get around to showing a family member the series I'm 100% going to go with 2003 at least early on, if for no other reason then for Nina's arc.
    Actually Brotherhood was pretty much 1-for-1 the manga which itself was only a chapter.

The 2003 anime is what you're thinking of I believe.

So the ways 2003 deviates from Brotherhood....hoooo boy.

So Ed n Al aren't sent there right after the exam, Mustang actually sends them to him to study and prepare for the exam and they stay with him for a few months before Nina's transmutation.

There's actually an entire episode about them preparing and taking the exam all while becoming friends and playing with Nina and makes the "big brother" thing hit a lot harder since they basically are by the end.

I should note that when Mustang sends them there he only mentions that Tucker had made a talking chimera and didn't say that the chimera had died short after-Tucker has to tell them this when they have dinner-but also the "I want to die" part?

Yeah the anime only has Ed hearing that for the first time when Ed starts an investigation after he found the drawing Nina had made of her and her parent's that had been burned.

tl;dr past this Spoiler cuz 2003 literally had their own 2-episode character arc that frankly is significantly better then manga/Brotherhood's monster-of-the-week one-off chapter of it
    Like it's an entire thing, he goes to the State Records place and gets denied access to it since it's military above his paygrade info, then he goes to Maes where he says he doesn't know much about him and mentions in passing that his wife was dead-the first Ed hears of this.

As Tananari mentioned there's an ever growing sense of unease going on, like Tucker was, or at least acted like, a regular family man working on research and we se things starting to pile up on him and being pushed by desperation.

Tucker acts like this jovial regular familyman if beleagured, not this ominous sociopath focused only on research-he doesn't reveal that until at the very end.

Also this is the first episode to introduce Scar, who we first see trying to force his way into the Records in rags basically and bolts after Ed accidently tears his sleeve off and he bolts and hides in an alley somewhere.

He isn't this clear Crusader with his mind set and on his journey, he's just a confused refugee trying to understand why his brother gave him his ability.

This ties into the changes a lot, Scar doesn't meet and kill Brigadier General Basque Grand in the 2003 anime, Grand actually shows up personally to put serious pressure on Tucker the 2nd night before the Assessment, and the same night he transmutes Nina.

Ed and Al are actually shoved off the property and forbidden to go in since Ed started beef with Grand and got a serious gut-punch out of it-a literal one, not the type that comes after this.

So he and Al sneak onto the property and try to find Nina, going down into the freaky animal basement they hadn't been to before.

We then get the interaction with Tucker and Ed, Ed putting it together, nearly beating Tucker to death etc.

Even this varies heavily from Brotherhood, despite them having the same actions.

Ed doesn't put it together on the spot like in Brotherhood, in 2003 he's been doing an investigation like I mentioned for the last half of the episode and Ed-and the viewers-have this growing sense of unease-for example as Ed finds Nina and Tucker we ourselves have come to this conclusion which culminates with Tucker even mentioning "the other one was too old to adfapt that's why it didn't work".

Again mirroring the viewer-or intending to you know what I mean-we are treated to Ed slumping in defeat and sorrow coming to terms with the truth, with Nina nuzzling against him while repeating "Edward my friend" as this sinks in and isn't a one-click-and-done type thing, he doesn't gather his energy until this like 30 second or whatever sequence here.

Oh right he gathers his energy from anger as Nina says "Edward why does it hurt here".

Additionally it isn't til Ed outright states/accuses him of transmuting his wife that for the first time Tucker drops his act and we see him as the unhinged heartless bastard.

When Al asked why he did it, since the Assesment was supposed to be about maintaing his style of lifem so what point is there without his family, Tuckers response is "That's the funny part, I didn't have a reason."

He says that he was screwed either way, but at least with the route he went he'd at least progress his knowledge.

Ed begins beating him and it isn't Al that first stops him, it's Nina tugging at him growling.

Ed straight up starts to try to separate Nina and Alexander from each other until Tucker points out how well that worked out for his Mom-also Ed's been having PTSD flashbacks since he saw the body of a woman killed by a serial killer.

He and Al are helpless to do anything, and at this point Brigadier General Basque Grand brings his butterfly effect of not dying and stomps in accusing Ed of assaulting military personnel and ends up with Tucker being arrested and he and Nina are loaded up in a transport.

Ed decides to hell with it-he's just realized that Grand had known the entire time and knocks the transport over, allowing Nina to escape.

Nina runs in fear and hides in an alleyway-the one with Scar.

We see Scar touching her and Scar doesn't know why, but he knows that she's a chimera in tortured pain.

We see him affirm his mission of hunting down alchemists as he puts his hand on Nina's head and explains he'll put her out of her misery.

As he glows we cut to Ed trying to find Nina and looking around and looking down the alley Nina and Scar were in and has to do a double take to figure out what he's seeing.

So yeah yknow how Brotherhood shows him killing people by running up and making the heads spurt blood but look fine after?

This is our first introduction to him and his abilities.
    [​IMG]

Yeah.

The episode ends with Ed's tears falling on the ground and panning up to show the rain falling as he sobs.

Let me try to cut this down to something maybe resembling reasonably long.

And remember: The show had been Shonen in tone with a little bit of serious flair up until this

2003 we spend an entire lighthearted episode with Ed and Al living with Tucker for months before taking the alchemist exam, and playing around and becoming friends with Nina, then we get the episode where all this happens.

Tucker isn't some pastiche of an evil mad scientist the entire time, he seems like a worn-out Dad that is getting more and more pressure put on him making us think he is doing this out of desperation, only for the last bit to reveal how much of a monster he is.

Brotherhood has Scar facepalming people, making some blood spurt out, then fall on the ground with no real indications of harm.

2003 we're introduced to Scar and his ability to deconstruct things with the logical conclusion of that.
    [​IMG]
    Nina dies in an alleyway, betrayed by her father, scared, in pain and alone.

The episode ends panning up into the rain and literally transitioning into the credits as we listen to Ed sobbing.

The episode has a uniquely edited ending credits scene done specifically for this episode.

That shit fucked us up.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  11. Kieron

Kieron Versed in the lewd.

Is there any way to increase the font size of the text in the QQ forum? I somehow reduced the font size of the text in QQ using Safari fumbling on my iPad when I noticed flipping between QQ and another forum and seeing the difference between the size of the text.

Thanks.

12. Autocorruptor

How to adjust font size on safari

Unfortunately qq doesn’t have a font size option as of now, but you can use the zoom function on the web browser to make text bigger.

Venyr4434 and Kieron like this.
  13. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

So I"m not particularly sure where else to ask this, especially with as little as I can remember.

I'm looking for a web novel (it would be several years old by this point), the genre would be Isekai Dungeon Core, I vaguely remember that the MC invites some bandits to partner up with him and use his Dungeon (they don't IIRC know its a dungeon) and get them to trade (?) stuff on his behalf, but he also doesn't mind assimilating dead bandits for points even though he's giving them loot

I know thats not a lot to go off of, but Its what I remember

and if you have any dungeon core web / light novels you recommend I'll be happy to browse them

14. Keldin

Keldin Well worn.

You might wanna check /r/Tip of my tongue?

It's prob a longshot but worth tossing it up just in case.

Imperator Pax likes this.
  15. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Description for Lazy Dungeon Master says it starts out with bandits in his "ordinary cave" (dungeon).

Not sure if it keeps going like that, but might be worth checking.

Imperator Pax likes this.
  16. WhiteDragon25

WhiteDragon25 White Lightning FTW!

As there isn't any 'general tech issues' thread that I can find anywhere here, this is the closest place that I can ask this:

Is anyone else having this issue with the YouTube home page not loading videos? As all I'm getting is a blank-white page aside from the side-bar and the search-bar. I don't know what's causing this issue, as YT was working fine last night.

EDIT: Okay, never mind, it seems to be working again now. How and why, fuck if I know.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    Venyr4434 likes this.
  17. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

Got to see just how energetic a Rottweiler puppy can be. The answer: very. Very energetic, especially when she doesn't like the fact that you have to hold onto her collar with your hand instead of a leash. And that if chew toys aren't around, then your arm, the door and an old sweater are also acceptable substitutes.

18. Dapperfox101

Dapperfox101 Not too sore, are you?

My sister had a German Shepherd puppy and he was the exact same way. He'd chew on my foot and his cage all the time.

vyor, Venyr4434 and TanaNari like this.
  19. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

That's just all puppies ever.

The only reason rotts stand out is that they're big enough to actually do some damage.

vyor, Venyr4434 and Dapperfox101 like this.
  20. Dapperfox101

Dapperfox101 Not too sore, are you?

Not necessarily, my grandparents got a puppy and she was the shyest thing ever. Although she was probably in the minority of dog behavior.

TanaNari, vyor and Venyr4434 like this.
  21. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

There's always the exception out there to prove the rule. My neighbor's got a dog that's terrified of car rides, for example.

Though being shy isn't necessarily that uncommon. Being lethargic would be- if a puppy's not busy running around with enough energy to power a medium sized suburb and/or sleeping off the most recent manic bender, I'd be worried something's wrong.

Stormwalker likes this.
  22. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

>you are sick
    >have a fever
    >you are struggling to sleep
    >sleep paralysis demon appears

>It's an endless cavalcade of kittens either snuggling up warmly to your side or booping their snoots with your nose as they keep purring endlessly

At first I thought it was all the random dead cat spirits visiting me in my nightmares and judging me for all of my sins against cat-kind, but apparently they liked what they saw and I had a nice waking nightmare of cuddling with vengeful cat spirits.

Still don't know how the rat or the possum got there though.

23. Autocorruptor

Hey, it could be worse. At least your sleep paralysis demon was pleasant.

Things are going well at work for me. I am taking over the computer lab at my local library, and I have some ideas for improvement. Tomorrow I will ask the boss if we could have our IT guy install adblockers on the web browsers of all library computers. She is a reasonable person, she will probably approve it.

TanaNari likes this.
  24. Treble

Treble Connoisseur.

Mine was a bald cartoon man trying to climb to my head while my barely alive body lies on a hospital bed.

I don't know how I even remember that. I'm pretty sure I was in a coma at the time.

25. Autocorruptor

Following up on this, the plan was approved! Now I just need to talk to the IT guy about implementing it.

26. Arc-on-Fire

Arc-on-Fire I trust you know where the happy button is?

Gotta train my traps more, got real bad DOMS after walking around with a weighted backpack. Then again, it was in slushy, mud hell so I kind of brought this on myself.

wasprider, Autocorruptor and TanaNari like this.
  27. TanaNari

TanaNari Verified Dick

Hah. Cute.

For the uninitiated, a translation:

Trapezius muscles, located on the upper back/neck/shoulders.

Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness.

wasprider and Arc-on-Fire like this.
  28. Autocorruptor

You are a person of TASTE and CULTURE. UwU

^>^

29. Hyp3rB14d3

Hyp3rB14d3 Violence!

30. MorningStar7Lost

MorningStar7Lost Making the rounds.

Hello I’m new here and is this the thread on what to ask for advice on how to use the um how do I say it the thing that allows you to write down stuff with all the weird symbols. I want to know because I’m planning on writing a story and would like some help in make if sure I know how to do like the spoiler thing that drops down to more text. Sorry if this is to much text.

Autocorruptor likes this.