• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

But I wasn't sure myself, and I feel like it's not common knowledge- and a harmonica does share some traits with brass instruments.
I'm not exactly an expert on musical instruments, but I was always under the impression that harmonica fell into the 'wind instrument' pool. Both in terms of mechanism, and function in a performance.

And, having looked it up because you've got me wondering... Yup. Wind instrument.

'Free reed' wind instrument, whatever that means exactly.

However, now I'm wondering... with as large and elaborate as certain styles of flute are... might there be an instrument actually straddles the line between 'wind' and 'brass'?

EDIT: Just checked. Bagpipes are also wind instruments. Not that I thought they were brass, I just got to wondering what they were classed as.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly an expert on musical instruments, but I was always under the impression that harmonica fell into the 'wind instrument' pool. Both in terms of mechanism, and function in a performance.

And, having looked it up because you've got me wondering... Yup. Wind instrument.

'Free reed' wind instrument, whatever that means exactly.

However, now I'm wondering... with as large and elaborate as certain styles of flute are... might there be an instrument actually straddles the line between 'wind' and 'brass'?

EDIT: Just checked. Bagpipes are wind instruments, apparently. Not that I thought they were brass, I just got to wondering.

Amusingly enough, the options included bagpipes as well. Harmonica and bagpipes were both wrong, of course, with the third being correct... cornet or something. C-Something.

Amusingly enough, the options included bagpipes as well. Harmonica and bagpipes were both wrong, of course, with the third being correct... cornet or something. C-Something.
Also, saxophones are woodwind instruments, just like bagpipes. I honestly would have thought the sax would have been in the brass, just by shape, size, and material...

So, I went down the rabbit hole of finding out the difference between the two...

According to the people who were somehow invested with the authority to make this decision (which I guess is no different than when people decided what constitutes a 'vegetable'), it's about how the sound is actually made.

Wind instruments work by taking moving air (wind) and convert it to sound. The notes are controlled via how the air is released from valve points to achieve its sound (reeds being one of the common method).

While brass instruments involve making the sound with your lips/mouth (the Latin and Greek words for brass instruments literally translate to 'lip sound'), and having the instrument amplify that sound in a manner that to me seems a lot like a sounding tube. Not exactly the same, obviously, but with both the point being to amplify an outside sound, rather than creating the sound directly.

Basically- if you can hook it up to a soundless air machine and change notes via manipulating the instrument, it's wind.

If the air machine would only produce a very narrow band of sound regardless of how the instrument is used (so long as it's properly done), and the human mouth is doing the heavy lifting in making different sounds... then it's a brass instrument.

is your first ? Cause like it sounds like you don't eat enough spicy food

spice is life

is your first ? Cause like it sounds like you don't eat enough spicy food

spice is life
I eat spice often enough, in fact: I ate some spicy noodles a few hours ago and I tried the black bean paste noodles because they were the last packs of noodles I had left. Its just the black bean noodles... while tasting sweet and flavorful, completely lit up my mouth in a few seconds and I languished with a throbbing tongue and snot.

Which kind of sucks because they taste nice.

God cursed me. I fucking love the taste of spicy foods, but I've got a tolerance for hotness so low it's in the negatives. I'm talking so low on a bad day ketchup can do me in for a few minutes. Fucking ketchup!

I will never stop eating spicy food, but it does take me a while to work through my plate. Does make me drink more milk, but my bones are already stronk so that's not the benefit it could be.

I eat spice often enough, in fact: I ate some spicy noodles a few hours ago and I tried the black bean paste noodles because they were the last packs of noodles I had left. Its just the black bean noodles... while tasting sweet and flavorful, completely lit up my mouth in a few seconds and I languished with a throbbing tongue and snot.

Which kind of sucks because they taste nice.
I actually was asking if it was your time with black bean past

I like spicy food well enough, but I despise the taste of jalapenos. Too many spicy dishes use jalapenos and they're just nasty to me.

So, part of the reason I'm off 'til Thursday is that I have this volunteer thing with my team at work, where we all get together and do some volunteer work and get eight hours of pay and time away from our jobs.

So... our volunteer work today was cleaning up parks. Y'know, walking around with a grabber thing and picking up trash, shit like that. We started at 7am and made a fairly heartening discovery:

The parks in this town are really well taken care of. I mean, really very well taken care of. We hit five parks today and the only one we had to spend much time on was the least funded, which was right next to low income housing and even that park wasn't exactly bad. It was just bad compared to the rest.

So after spending the Herculean efforts needed to clean up four of these parks, it was 11:30am. So we got some lunch.

Then, after a nice lunch (Mexican, if you're curious, the pregnant woman ordered a philly cheesesteak). We headed to the fifth park.

It wasn't just nice, it was fucking immaculate. We saw someone walking his dog stop to clean up the dogshit. Which was one of the things we'd found and cleaned up a bit at the other parks. None here though. There was literally nothing we needed to do.

At this point it was 12:45pm and our supervisor was just like "Fuck it, we're done. Go home y'all."

Fun detail; the last park was literally around the corner from my apartment building.

Whew! It's going to be -9 with a windchill of -18c tonight. I got to get my wood inside now. Hopefully the snow won't be that bad over the weekend.

If I fucking can't rewrite my story and let the flaws linger till the story ends then what can I fucking do?

That's not good writing though.
Look, this is something I'm struggling with too, which means I'm intimately aware of how hard it is to take this advice, but it's still good advice: Written is best. If you write a bad story, hey, at least you wrote a thing. And maybe learned from it.

Look, this is something I'm struggling with too, which means I'm intimately aware of how hard it is to take this advice, but it's still good advice: Written is best. If you write a bad story, hey, at least you wrote a thing. And maybe learned from it.
But this is different. I don't want this story to be bad. I want it to be good. This has been a passion project of mine since earlier this year. This isn't some throwaway QQ fic.

But this is different. I don't want this story to be bad. I want it to be good. This has been a passion project of mine since earlier this year. This isn't some throwaway QQ fic.
I, too, find it deeply unfair that the only way to get better at writing is to actually write. Nevertheless, until we invent skill chips, you've got three choices. Choice one is to write a draft you aren't at all happy with, then use that to polish it into something actually worth reading. Choice two is to do the same thing QQ-style, which means posting said draft you aren't at all happy with while you work on it for the dopamine.
undefined-Imgur.jpg

I, too, find it deeply unfair that the only way to get better at writing is to actually write. Nevertheless, until we invent skill chips, you've got three choices. Choice one is to write a draft you aren't at all happy with, then use that to polish it into something actually worth reading. Choice two is to do the same thing QQ-style, which means posting said draft you aren't at all happy with while you work on it for the dopamine.
undefined-Imgur.jpg
And I write it again and again until I get it right. Thats what rewrites are for.

Last edited:
And I write it again and again until I get it right. Thats what rewrites are for.
Okay, but here's the thing: It's not. You generally edit your draft when you're done. Rewriting the whole damn thing mid-story kill your momentum, and they also kill your engagement, which is presumably the whole reason why you're posting on a forum in the first place. The only time I've done a rewrite was when a chapter was pretty much universally proclaimed as awful, and even then it was tinkering instead of restarting.

Okay, but here's the thing: It's not. You generally edit your draft when you're done. Rewriting the whole damn thing mid-story kill your momentum, and they also kill your engagement, which is presumably the whole reason why you're posting on a forum in the first place. The only time I've done a rewrite was when a chapter was pretty much universally proclaimed as awful, and even then it was tinkering instead of restarting.
I've decided to take your advice.

Halloween cocktail recipe

Whisky
Akvavit (could easily have subbed for gin, but i didn't have gin)
Vodka
Pear Brandy
Think it came out to like eight ounces per drink matched that with equal volume

Roman Rasberry Gelato

Blend toss in the freezer pour into daiquiri glass

It is very aromatic you can smell the booze in the glass, like my buddy's kid was like what is that, I had put it on the dnd table and it happened to line up to the door on the map,

The ultimate Kang, Fire-god Liu Kang will be the one to kill MCU Kang in mortal Kombat

That is all.

Note, I just felt like saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back