• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Sneaking His Way into the Multiverse (RWBY Jaune, WC-lite mechanics)

Last edited:
I just watched The Stupendiums new song on Frost Punk and realized it could be an interesting jump. Almost nothing of any real worth they could loot but the biggest threat (the weather) would be easily taken care of with aura. This would also be the biggest impact they could leave with the world, just give aura to everyone they see. Insistently this would probably result in everyone having a lot of aura after years of using it to survive the weather.
This would be a pretty good one shot for trying to figure out what a loot 0-1 would look like.

Depends on the setting, whether he does it in the joker way or the romantic/lewd way.
i figure it was a joke but considering it's a multiverse story I can never be too sure
It was mostly a joke. Personally, I find the way Phantom Thieves induce a 'change of heart' a bit too close to mind-control to be comfortable with it (Especially in a WC story). The fact that their targets are cartoonishly evil doesn't change that. The DLC even shows the villains use the almost identical method to make the masses love them.

Last edited:
Well, for me, it's not just "close" because it's clearly a type of mind control to which they gave a unique name so that people wouldn't be outraged that the protagonists were using such a thing xd
In my opinion, the heroes of P5 go around and brainwash people and the fact that they do it on the scum of society does not change this fact

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider it brain washing, but close enough for the targets to need to be that bad to be justified.its like if therapy and brain washing had a baby, very hard to categorize

Reject modernity Embrace Tradition
16363bc10a6681e3e6e4883faf4438bc.jpg

8ec39c86e8e7270831456e26804a4725.png

"Excuse us. She has been stressed lately, hence our coming here." He squinted his eyes in a glare, playing up the lover angle. "However, I expect an apology for your insinuation. Her freckles are cute."

Behind his hand, Tattletale squeaked.

Smooth, Jaune, very smooth. Keep doing it.

I have been waiting for an update and getting two chapters so close to each other feels like a bliss.

Everything going so great, I'm sure that in the future nothing bad will happen. Yep, nothing bad at all.

I have a question for the author. Is Jaune still friends with Ruby? Jax did a number on team RWBY in the first chapter and I realized that it could have easily prevented Jaune from befriending them in the first place.
If they did still become friends does Jaunes win condition for the Vytle festival include finding a way to fix them?

I have a question for the author. Is Jaune still friends with Ruby? Jax did a number on team RWBY in the first chapter and I realized that it could have easily prevented Jaune from befriending them in the first place.
If they did still become friends does Jaunes win condition for the Vytle festival include finding a way to fix them?

He thinks they're friends, and they barely think of him at all. This is the case for all male characters beside Jax Darkphenix, due to a Skill effect mentioned in chapter 2 that affected people's minds.

Team JNPR is his primary motivator. Team RWBY, not as much now that he threw off the Skill.

Fixing them?
He'd have to survive them first, considering he just murdered their beloved boyfriend, who is also the favorite person of everyone in Beacon. Halting the many Skills of Jax, did not mean the effects were reversed, merely ended.

Reject modernity Embrace Tradition
Very good taste.🎩

Last edited:
He thinks they're friends, and they barely think of him at all. This is the case for all male characters beside Jax Darkphenix, due to a Skill effect mentioned in chapter 2 that affected people's minds.

Team JNPR is his primary motivator. Team RWBY, not as much now that he threw off the Skill.
Dang. That's rough for both team RWBY and Jaune.
I guess if he ever gets strong enough to handle two invading armies (one with Grimm and the other of Atlas robots) a dragon and a magical girl assassin (and another in a giant mecha) he should be able to survive the wrath of team RWBY. Unless they turn all of Beacon agents him. If I have to guess at how they would do it. Tell everyone Jaune killed respected and upstanding aspiring hunter Jax in cold blood. There probably wouldn't be any evidence of Jac killing his allies after all the dust settles.

I've been playing Balders Gate lately and just realized that Jaune is literally a warlock. This is funny because people like Wyll have Faustian bargains with actual contracts while Jaunes boils down to "here's a tattoo, now entertain me!"

Chapter 14: We Quell the Rebellion for Queen and Country New
Whatever fate befell the Pendleton brothers, Jaune never found out.

Were they strung up in front of the brothel guests as an example for enemies of the crown? Perhaps, they simply suffered unfortunate accidents, dead via a scalding blast of steam in the Baths or a bad supply in the hookah pipes of the Smoking Room. It's also conceivable that they were, in actual fact, still alive at this time, whisked away by associates of Corvo to where they will no longer see the light of day.

One man knew, and he refused to say, assuring them that the matter had been resolved to his satisfaction. Jaune supposed it came down to what flavor of vengeance the former bodyguard ascribed to.

It was not mercy the brothers received, was all Tattletale could derive from the clues.

To Emily Kaldwin, none of that mattered. Rescued from her tormentors, reunited with the person she regarded as the closest thing to a father, the princess to the Empire of the Isles looked towards the future, not the past, and reveled in her freedom, head turning every which way to absorb the sights she had missed during her captivity. Among the many points of fascination, the two strangers who aided in her escape.

And as Jaune once again activated Crocea Mors, transforming the sheath to a shield, the girl stared agog.

"Wooooow!" she exclaimed to Jaune's delight.

Why couldn't people from Remnant be more like Emily? On any occasion his classmates ask him to demonstrate the sword's mechashift, it's always "Show us the third form!" and "Does it turn into a gun?", with never a speck of appreciation for what he thought was a very practical bit of gadgetry.

"This thing's been through a war, so don't think of it as a showpiece," he bragged. "It's slain monsters, protected settlements from bandits, and seen all kinds of adventures!"

Starry-eyed, the princess looked at Crocea Mors as if it were a treasure.

"Ahem."

The cough came from Corvo. In a casual manner, he twirled the handle of his sword. With a series of soft clicks, the blade unfolded and snapped into place. He brandished it to catch the sunlight.

His face fell in disappointment when Emily did not take notice, riveted as she was on the details of Jaune's weapon, her hand tracing the twin-crescent emblem of the Arc family. The ornate gildings lent it a regal air, so befitting a weapon used by heroes in times past, and even on first glance, one could just imagine the stories it had played a part in. Contrast that with the folding sword of an assassin, a wicked thing built to inspire dread. It was no contest.

Jaune shrugged his shoulders while showing an apologetic expression to Corvo. The man accepted it with good grace. That ended as Emily opened her mouth to speak.

"Are you, um…by any chance, are you a prince?"

And now Corvo was looking at him like his last name was Pendelton.

Before he could answer, Tattletale cut into the conversation, cooing, "Awww, how sweet~ He does give an impression of one, doesn't he? Fancy clothes, fancy sword, saving people left and right, a face that can charm a princess…" Emily flinched. Tattletale grinned. "But honey, he's as close to a peasant as you will find."

"Hurtful", he commented. Hard to argue, though. No identity, no home or job. Pockets full of stolen goods. A squatter. Also, technically speaking, hadn't he dropped out of school?

What a catch.

Tattletale waved him off to continue. "The world isn't like the fairy tales, Emily, that it would be kind to sweet, dainty girls. Better to be like me, who knows what's what and can take care of herself." She crossed her arms, and nodded in the fashion of one who had dispensed sage wisdom.

"I bet you're just mooching off of him."

Tattletale's composure cracked like glass.

"Hah? Say that again, little girl! He would be dead without me!"

The two of them sniped back and forth, and things devolved into an argument from there, one that lasted the rest of the trip. Jaune chimed in from time to time for the sake of reigning in Tattletale, preempting her more acerbic retorts, while the princess mounted a defense with surprising skill; a royal education must have left its mark. It made for a boisterous journey from the Golden Cat, and came to a close with the sighting of the Hound Pits Pub.

They arrived on the docks to a welcome party consisting of Joplin the inventor, Treavor Pendleton, and a woman who Jaune learned was to be Emily' caretaker. Further along, the Pub was rousing into a hive of activity, servants running pell-mell to prepare for royalty staying on the premises, while the rank and file Loyalists craned their necks to get a glimpse of their future ruler. She waved, and a cheer went up to startle the girl.

Amidst this scene of celebration, the only person to not crack a smile was Pendleton. A sullen glare greeted Jaune, Tattletale, and Corvo as they approached him.

"It's done then? They're…gone?"

Corvo nodded. "Gone. Never to have another night at the royal court. The title, the votes, the power, they're yours now."

A myriad of emotions passed by Pendleton's face. It settled into despondency.

"The Loyalist Conspiracy thanks you for your work." A shaky breath. He worked his jaw, trying to find the words. "I don't know if I can. My own brothers…" His gaze fell to the ground.

"So, didya have our payment ready?" Tattletale asked with a bright smile, and Jaune slapped a hand over his face.

"Fucking—! He just lost his family, have some tact!"

"What? The guy hates them, asks us to kill them, then resents us after we gave him everything he ever wanted in life?" Tattletale scoffed. "Come off it. Half of that was for show, so he can welch on the payment."

Immediately, Jaune and Corvo looked back to the noble.

"I—That is—Why, I never!" The indignant spluttering garnered nothing except flat stares from the people present.

"Are we getting paid?" Jaune asked point blank.

"Of course!"

Tattletale muttered under her breath. "Well, now we are."

"We are simply," Pendleton waffled a bit, "in the process of gathering the requested funds and goods. It won't do for us to attract notice, hence it shall require a while longer." His eyes flicked to the side, searching for a way out of the conversation. "M–More importantly, I have news of our next step! Havelock left me these instructions." He rifled through his pockets. "Ah. Here we are."

"Havelock isn't here?" Corvo asked as he took the sheet of paper, reading it. Tattletale went on the tips of her toes to get a peek.

"He and Martin both had matters elsewhere to take care of, and entrusted me with briefing you on your mission."

"Anton Sokolov. You want me to abduct the Royal Physician?"

Now, where did he hear that name before? Jaune mulled it over to arrive at the memory of a glowing, red vial. The man was the one who created an elixir that was supposed to stave off the Rat Plague, Piero Joplin's hated rival.

Meanwhile, Pendleton answered Corvo. "It is a risky move, I know. However, Martin and Havelock have discovered a momentous opportunity. One of the greatest obstacles to us deposing Burrows is his mistress. She's powerful, she's wealthy, and nobody has a clue of her identity except for Sokolov, who painted her portrait."

Corvo got it. "He'd be able to tell us her name."

"Hey," Jaune raised a hand to draw their attention, "just a quick question…why kidnap him at all? Is getting the information from him not enough?"

The Pendleton brothers were scum, from what he had heard. Confined a young girl to a windowless room for months on end. Forced people to work to their deaths in silver mines, a la Jaques Schnee. There were even stories of tormented pets and mysterious disappearances of servants. The two men preyed on those weaker than them.

What had Sokolov done, then, to warrant tearing him away from his normal life? Was he a puppy-kicker?

"He cooperated with the new regime," Corvo offered as an answer, though he, too, seemed unsure. "The Wall of Light is his work, as are the Watchtowers. The man has a part in this, indirect as it may be."

Tattletale, unable to resist interjecting into the discussion, pointed out, "In practical terms, it's so he can't tell anyone they're aiming for the mistress," She then snapped her fingers, and whirled on the aristocrat. "And you'd deny his talents to your enemies. In fact, if you flip him to your side, that's both genius inventors in Dunwall under your thumb." She read the expression on Pendleton, and puffed up in smug superiority. "Didn't realize that, did you? I wonder if anybody else did but me. Hehehe."

Pendleton clenched his fists, temper building near towards his limit. With great effort, he ignored her to focus on Corvo.

"I'm not the one to talk to about this, and we cannot wait around for Havelock or Martin to return. They have, however, assured me it is critical to our cause that we obtain Sokolov, and I place more trust in them than I do the objections of some mercenary."

In other words, this was no longer Jaune's business, so butt out. And, to be fair, he did not really have a stake in the conflict. To him, Anton Sokolov was a mere name; to the Loyalists, an enemy, and a target of great tactical worth in light of Tattletale's revelations. Corvo appeared to be convinced of this course, at any rate.

Pendleton held up three fingers. "Sokolov splits his time between the palace, the Academy of Natural Philosophy, and his residence on Kaldwin's Bridge, spending days at each location. The last of the three is, undoubtedly, the least guarded. You'd need to leave now to catch him there, before he goes on the move again and we lose access to him for weeks."

On hearing his allies wanted to send him out this soon after reconnecting with Emily, Corvo hesitated to agree with the request. More so, when the princess noticed the group looking her way, and misunderstood that their business had concluded at last. She dashed over to them, hopping in excitement.

"Corvo! Callista said she'd show me my room. Can we go see it?"

That energy slowly bled out of Emily with each passing second as Corvo explained the situation at hand. A fragile smile remained, the best that the young girl could muster to hide her dejection.

"I understand," was her reply once Corvo finished speaking. Nobody there, not even Pendleton, missed the subdued mood.

Everybody jumped in shock as Jaune clapped his hands together. Injecting as much cheer into his voice as he could, he said, "Hey, I've always been curious about how royalties live! Why don't me and her," he gestured to Tattletale, "go take a look with you?"

Emily perked up, while Corvo directed a hopeful gaze towards him, spotting the solution to his dilemma.

Jaune then leaned over and whispered for only his companion to hear. "Is that cool with you? Since we have to wait around for our pay anyway, we can keep her company until Corvo gets back."

Tattletale glanced down at the princess. A smile reminiscent of a fox grew wide on her face.

"Might as well~"

All of a sudden, Emily looked a lot less sure about this.

-o-​

Tattletale opened the door to Emily's quarters, situated in the derelict tower next to the pub, and stepped inside. For the sake of fairness, she kept her eyes closed.

"Little miss princess is in the wardrobe. Jaune's under the desk."

Two groans rang out from the aforementioned places to confirm her deductions, thus ending another lightning round of hide and seek. As soon as she exited the wardrobe, Emily pointed an accusing finger at the older girl.

"You're cheating!"

Unrepentant, Tattletale strutted to the center of the room, spreading her arms wide.

"And?" she boldly declared to all and sundry. "I used every advantage I had to seize victory. You call it cheating, I say that's playing the game as intended. It's no worse than what Jaune did."

At the reminder, Emily turned on him with a pout, and Jaune scratched his cheek in mild embarrassment. She still hadn't forgiven him for using his superior athleticism to climb up on the rafters, forcing her to spend a good ten minutes confused and lost as she tried to find him.

What? Hide and seek was serious business.

Hoping to soothe the girl's ire, Jaune lowered himself to her eye level, and put a hand on her shoulder in comfort. "Don't mind her, Emily. Are you having fun?" He smiled, kindly, when she gave an affirmative. "Then that's what really matters. We're friends here, and it's fine when someone else wins. This is nothing serious, after all. And if you think her skills are unfair, know that we each have our own strengths, including you. Focus on that." He stood up. "Now, I believe it's your turn to play seek."

Reinvigorated by his speech, the princess sprinted out the door to start her countdown.

"That was sweet."

"My sisters can get the same way sometimes. I just happen to know the things to say."

Tattletale nodded in understanding. "We should probably go easy on her."

Jaune laughed in good humor.

"Twenty…Nineteen…Eighteen…"

As one, boy and girl ran for the open window of the room, fighting and shoving each other to climb out.

"Shouldn't you be letting her win? Go away!" Tattletale snarked.

"Hell no!" Jaune shot back. "I've been keeping this place in reserve, and I'm not wasting it! Hide under the bed or something." He got a scoff in return.

By this stage of the game, the hiding spots have been depleted. The top of the wardrobe, within the curtains, even burying oneself among the dolls or the psychological ploy of standing behind the door would be treading old grounds. The Loyalists provided furnishings, sure, but the path to the tower involved either a ladder or a rickety walkway that the movers could break their necks on. As a result, the princess had little beyond a bed, a desk, and storage, though the toys and flowers were a thoughtful touch. The fineries one might find in a palace—grand pianos, divans, sculptures, and the like—were luxuries for such a time when she was reinstated in her home.

But outside the window? Right on one of the ledges that remained after the rest of the building collapsed into the sea? It counted as part of the tower, allowing a hider to win on a technicality, and a seeker's preconceptions will more often than not eliminate it as a possibility. A stroke of genius, in other words.

Jaune succeeded in climbing through the opening first, and pressed a foot on the broken planks as a test. Once he confirmed they were secure enough to stand on, he set his weight on them, then scooted to the side to put his body out of view. He frowned as Tattletale followed his lead, taking up the other side. She glared right back at him.

"I was here first."

"I thought of it first."

A voice from further off reached their ears. "Ready or not, here I come!"

The two of them made shushing motions at one another. Inside, they heard the door open, and the pitter-patter of the princess rushing from one corner to the next, checking on the obvious hiding places. A minute went by, and the footsteps became slower, the girl putting more thought into the search. She started to employ a methodical approach, leaving no nook or cranny unexamined.

Too bad for her, she missed them, passing the window without a single cursory peek. Jaune had to chuckle at his devious plan. Tattletale did, too.

"Heheh. Heh."

She was rather loud, however, causing him to mutter, "Quiet, now, or she'll hear us."

To the contrary, Tattletale refused to lower her volume. Curious, he turned his head in her direction, and noticed that rather than mischief or the usual smugness, she seemed wary, almost…scared.

"W-We're pretty high up, huh?"

She gave another nervous laugh, and pressed further against the wall. Her side of the ledge was shorter than his end. The tips of her shoes extended over the edge. She was trying, and failing, to not look down, no doubt regretting she ever considered this a good idea.

"Hey, it's alright," Jaune whispered in a soothing tone to assuage her fear. "You have Aura. This fall is nothing."

"You said we would still feel pain…"

"The pain is temporary." That did not reassure her any, judging from how her limbs locked up. "Look, the footing is solid. Your posture is firm. You're going to be fine."

"R-Right."

He chose a different tack. "The one thing you need to do, is to stay in the same spot. Sounds easy, don't it?"

That appeared to have done the job, and her worried expression began to clear.

"Right!"

Calming, Tattletale placed a hand over her heart, and recovered her breath. The familiar grin flickered on, just in time for a strong gust of wind to blow past, whipping her off-balance.

Before she could scream, Jaune clamped a hand onto her arm to steady her.

"Ohcrapcrapcrap, thank you for that!" she blurted in a rush, eyes squeezed shut.

"No problem, but…" he snickered. "Seriously, you're so lame."

"So lame," Emily echoed.

Both Jaune and Tattletale looked at the girl poking her head through the window.

""Ah.""

"I found you!" she declared in triumph. Then, peeking over the edge, she continued. "Can I give that a try? It looks fun."

Jaune imagined what Corvo would do to him if he agreed to the request, and blanched.

"Let's maybe not. I think we can stop this game now. I'll admit that it's gotten a little out of hand."

Shooing Emily back, he helped Tattletale climb inside. By the time he entered after her, she was clutching the bed frame in a deathgrip.

"Whoever's idea it was to put the leader of the country in a tower was an idiot!"

That got a chuckle out of him.

"What?"

"There's a fairy tale where I come from, titled the Girl in the Tower. She was supposed to be a princess, too. It's a classic scenario, and I'll just bet it happened loads of times before."

Tattletale shot him a glare. "And how did that work out for her?"

"She escaped the tower, married a prince, and lived happily ever after. Duh."

"I envy her. Escaping this tower sounds like a great plan," she grumbled.

She got her wish. As they've thoroughly explored Emily's quarters by now, and it held no more secrets to be found, the princess was raring to go elsewhere and restart the process again. The pub, with rooms galore and the prospect of snacks, became the natural destination. For two hours, they ran up and down, to and fro, never a moment's rest. Jaune and Tattletale earned the eternal ire of Callista the caretaker that day, for she witnessed Emily's many antics, and realized what a hellion the two of them had created and would drop in her lap later.

The fun and games ended with the trio occupying a booth in the pub's main area. On the table laid a spread of simple, but filling, fares. Potato leek soup, potato casserole, fried potato wedges, baked potato, potato mash, boiled potato bits…

Alright, a little too simple, but Jaune wasn't about to complain to the chef. Maybe vitamins didn't exist yet in this era. It sated their hunger, and that was the important part.

Halfway through the meal, Farley Havelock made his appearance, emerging from the back of the pub. He caught sight of them, of the princess in particular. Pure elation swept across his face, and the admiral hurried to their table, whereupon he bowed low.

"Princess Emily, welcome. I am Admiral Farley Havelock, and it is good you are safe. My apologies for not being here to greet you earlier, and know that we all are gladdened by your presence."

Emily sat straighter, and assumed a serious demeanor.

"I thank you for your aid in my rescue, admiral."

"Please," he placed a hand over his heart, "we both know that it was Corvo who made this possible. I merely play a humble part."

Sitting between Havelock and Emily, Tattletale mimed gagging to provoke a burst of giggles from the princess. Havelock scowled, but kept a rein on his temper as he scanned the room.

"Is Corvo not here?"

Jaune answered, "He's off to grab Anton Sokolov."

"Good. Very good!" The admiral was delighted by the news.

Out of the corner of his eyes, Jaune noticed Tattletale on the opposite side of the booth tensing up. She stared at the man oddly, scrutinizing him. Havelock missed the look as he set a knapsack on the table.

"As for you two, you'd be happy to hear that I've brought your payment. Here."

Jaune expected a hefty sack of money. His eyes bulged as Havelock withdrew a gold bar and laid it down before them with a dull thunk. The shine it cast on the surroundings broke Tattletale from her musings, the girl leaning on the table for a closer look, as did he, their heads nearly banging together. They treated the smaller pouch of coins that ended up beside it as an afterthought.

"The supplies you requested are also ready. I've had it stored in the brewery, though I still don't see how you can move the lot."

"It won't be a problem. We're strong," said Jaune. He reached out for the gold bar. Havelock got there first, laying his hand on top of it.

"Funny you mention that, because I have an offer." The man sported a hungry look on his face as he peered down at Jaune. "Your abilities can do great things for our cause."

Having seen this coming to some extent, Jaune sighed. "Look, I sympathize, but I have my own goals. I can't stay long."

"Then you don't have to. However, I need you to impart your powers with us prior to leaving."

The way he spoke, it sounded like an order. Even after Havelock caught himself and straightened his back, ceasing to loom over the group, Jaune could not forget the finality of his words.

The admiral continued in a friendlier tone. "What you are capable of, you said it was common where you live. it's replicable, isn't it?" He indicated their payment. "Money is no object. I can have five more bars prepared within the hour. You don't understand what a groundbreaking change such strength will make in our fight against Burrows's tyranny."

He could imagine. Corvo's skill with arms already outstripped Jaune, with only Aura putting him on par with the man. Give the assassin that, and he would have no need to hide in the shadows. And on Jaune's end…

Three for three have societies in different universes valued gold. Doing this would likely take care of funding issues for the foreseeable future, enabling his travels. It's an idea he could get behind. At least, until Tattletale opened her mouth.

"So, not gonna say anything about your real plan?"

Havelock froze, then tried to play it off. "I'm afraid I do not understand—"

"You've no love for the crown," Tattletale revealed with glee. "I see it in how you look at Emily. The deference was faked, through and through. She's a piece to be controlled in your opinion. When you asked Corvo's whereabouts, you weren't happy that he's going after Sokolov, you were happy that he's out of the way. You're scared of him." She leveled an accusing finger. "You intend to betray him."

The man broke into roaring laughter, slapping a knee in mirth.

"Oh, good joke. Princess Emily, do not listen to this…this…"

The man reached towards Tattletale, either to grab her or silence her, but stumbled back when Jaune sprang from his seat to interpose between them. In warning, he gripped the handle of his sword, and Havelock raised his hands to show he meant no harm.

Yeah, right. He wasn't born yesterday. As Jaune stayed on guard, Tattletale poked her head over his shoulder, standing on the booth seating.

"Answer this, Havelock. Do you want Emily on the throne?"

"Yes, of course—"

"Liar!" she crowed.

"I do!" shouted Havelock. His eyes flicked to Emily, taking in her unimpressed gaze, realizing she did not believe him. Grudgingly, he amended, "Just with proper guidance. She is young, and needs time to grow into her role. We, her loyal subjects, are here to help relieve her burden."

Well, that made a lot of sense. Farley Havelock was a concerned citizen, and nothing suspicious was going on at all. Phew!

Jaune immediately turned his head to ask his companion for the actual truth. "Tattletale?"

"Hmmm. It might have been true once. Everybody with a brain noticed how you strutted around in your uniform. It's so obvious you resented losing your rank, and wanted it back. That was the extent of your ambition, and the reason driving you to take part in the Loyalist Conspiracy. But you've changed that outlook..." She adopted a slower, stilted cadence as her mind raced to fill in the gaps. "Because of Jaune. Because of his abilities. You started thinking you don't want to just be Admiral Havelock again. A puppet queen could work, but 'Emperor Havelock' has a nice ring to it. 'Conqueror', even better. Aura could let you empower an army with which to achieve domination of the known world. And beyond. You seek war." She gave a dramatic sigh, her breath tickling Jaune's ear. "But, before all that, there's a problem you had to solve. The attack dog. He's an obstacle to you. His fate, to be put down like the hounds in the fights you used to watch. He'd never see the end of this conflict."

A soft gasp, and Emily now stared at the admiral as if he were a monster. Havelock saw, to his dismay. He had lost her trust forever on Tattletale's word. Were she to claim the throne, he'd have no position in her reign. The pawn lost her value.

With a resigned shake of his head, he lamented, "I see that I would have been proven right. The princess makes a poor ruler." His expression firmed. "A child cannot see what must be done!"

Tattletale paled a split second ahead of the admiral extracting a whistle from his pocket.

"Stop him! He's calling for…"

*Fweeeeeet*

"...reinforcements."

The long, shrill note rang out across the room, and further. For several seconds, nothing seemed to happen, leading Jaune to think it a failure. The rumbling sound of footsteps soon dispelled that notion.

They rushed in from every entrance. Almost all of the men and women arrayed before them possessed the weathered tan of sailors, and wore military uniforms or the clothes of the City Watch. One odd group was dressed in austere, black outfits along with strange masks, golden and set in an angry scowl. Clutched in their hands were an eclectic mix of knives, swords, clubs, and firearms.

Jaune recognized one or two faces among them, no more. Very few of these people belonged to the Conspiracy. Unsurprising, as a loyalty to the princess would have been a detriment to Havelock's purposes.

Standing in their midst, Havelock unholstered his pistol. "I present to you my many friends and colleagues throughout Dunwall. They come from all walks of life, but on certain things, we are of like minds. Glory. Riches. Power beyond normal men. We would gladly kill for that future."

"So, this was what you were up to the whole afternoon?" Jaune spat out in disgust. "We went to save a princess, and you decided to enjoy a spot of treason?"

The admiral shrugged, unaffected by the accusation.

"I was simply preparing for every possibility. You could have agreed to my offer, and we would have parted on amicable terms. Now that it came to this, you will hand over your secrets, one way or another." He spread out an arm to indicate his followers. "Corvo isn't here to save you. Are you stronger than a force of fifty? Would you like to find out? Surrender!"

Rather than answering, Jaune directed his attention to the girl at his back.

"Hey, Tattletale?"

"Yeah?"

"How about next time you don't straight up tell the enemy that we're onto them?"

"But I figured it out! I was right!"

And she had to let everyone know. To wow the audience with her deductions, and throw it into the face of the culprit. Like a detective in the novels. Except, life didn't always tie events up neatly the way it does in a book. People react.

"You were, and I would have applauded you had it not brought an army down on us."

"I-I…" She searched for an excuse, a person with whom she could deflect the blame. After getting a good, long look around the room, she wilted. "Shit. We're in trouble."

"I mean, not really." BANG! A lead pellet impacted his head, fired by an impatient, and rather dim, sailor who had heard of his resilience and thought no further on the matter. Jaune barely showed a response. "I'm bulletproof, remember? Cover Emily. I got this."

As Tattletale scooted back, pushing Emily into a corner and blocking the smaller girl with her body, he drew on his connection to that pool of coldness, the Void. The [Third Arm] shot across the room to pluck Havelock—who, true to form, was aiming his pistol at Tattletale—from the crowd, yanking him kicking and shouting through the air. Jaune met him in a lariat that sent the man slamming against the floor with a sickening crunch. On rushing by, he whacked Havelock on the head with the sheathed Crocea Mors, ensuring no more interference from him. He then deployed his shield, tossing it behind him for Tattletale to protect herself with.

Jaune used his sword as a club as he charged into the crowd, favoring the flat of the blade as he swept in wide, wild swings that slung bodies every which way. Bones broke under the strength of his blows, his kicks crumbling their guard. When the edge of Crocea Mors inevitably bit flesh, limbs were severed, and the floor grew slick with blood. Seeking help, the wounded flailed about, grabbing those still upright and impeding their movements, easy pickings for Jaune to punish. Shouting, taunting, cursing, he challenged them to fight for their lives, sowing mayhem.

Look at me, his actions screamed. Me, and nobody else.

As his enemies turned their attacks inward to reach him, the injuries magnified. Blades that missed their mark came to rest in allies, drawing deep cuts. Thoughtless gunmen fired at Jaune, instead shooting down their fellows.

One sailor struck on the bright idea to ignore the overwhelmingly strong foe and run at Tattletale. It's a good tactic, attempting to secure a hostage. Jaune made an example of him by seizing the man with his supernatural limb to employ as a shield. The sailor did not last long, falling down screaming with a knife in his gut. The next few who decided to follow in his stead met similar fates.

Jaune wanted their focus on him, for them to forget about Tattletale and Emily. He got his wish. More people stepped forward to replace their fallen comrades, spurred on by greed or revenge or desperation, raining attacks on him. To become a terror, he had abandoned defense, and his Aura suffered as a result, draining to weather the assault. Repeated use of [Third Arm] took its toll, and a migraine was developing to hinder his combat performance.

But, just when the two sides seemed to grow more even, a new figure entered the fray. The shadow appeared at the back of a City Guard, sword coming around to slash open his throat. It then vanished, popping up across the room to stab someone else in the chest. A flicker of movement, and three arrows lodged in three sailors who had been rushing at Jaune from different angles.

Among the fear-stricken cries of "The Masked Felon!" and "Witches! They're witches!" was a lone girl's elated shout.

"Corvo! You're back!"

Having someone to watch his back made the difference. Jaune was free to be as reckless as he liked, and Corvo capitalized on the opportunities created by it, the two laying waste to their enemies in tandem. Not one of the men and women could spare a single glance in the direction of the princess, and those splitting their attention between two sources of danger opened themselves up to an easy defeat.

During a time Corvo locked blades with someone, one such person aimed her pistol at him. Jaune cracked his sword against the back of her unsuspecting head to put a stop to that. He expected her to fall down.

She burst into a cloud of dust. Her residue blanketed the people nearby, who looked on the verge of heart attacks as they gaped in horror. The battlefield stopped to stare, first at the remains, then at Jaune and the sword in his hand.

Ah. So that's what the first bone charm did. 'Unaware foes turn to ash when killed'. A clear-cut description in hindsight, really.

Luckily for his shocked, frozen self, that was the moment when spirits broke and courage fled for the opposition. Whatever dream they had of superhuman strength, riches beyond compare, or a world in which they ruled were discarded by the wayside as the remnants of Havelock's forces—so pitifully few now—deserted the fight, parting shouts of "Witchcraft!" left in their wake.

Soon, two people stood where there once were dozens. At their feet, the wounded and the dead.

In the corner of a booth, a shield shifted aside. Emily was the first to dart out in the open, and she screeched to a halt as she received an unimpeded view of what had taken place. Within a second, Corvo teleported in front of her to block most of the scene. He swept her into a hug as the event caught up to the princess, and she began to cry.

Tattletale skirted by them, her eyes wide as she stared at the battle's aftermath. She hesitated at the point where the floor began to stain red, unable to take another step. Her hands were clamped to a spot on her waist, It raised Jaune's alarm, and he rushed over.

"Are you injured?"

She shook her head, and removed her hand to show a round hole in the dress, and unblemished skin beneath.

"You were right. Getting shot hurts."

Her words sounded as if they came from far away, and devoid of emotion. She wasn't even looking at him. Half in a stupor, her gaze lingered on the blood, the bodies moving, and those unmoving. The scattered ashes.

"Tattletale? Lisa? You sure you're alright?"

She snapped out of it when he touched her shoulder. "Y-yeah, totally cool. You, uh, you really know how to use that sword, huh? No hesitation, just…shing!" she made a cutting motion, "and they're g-gone."

"And that's…a problem?"

"Um, no. Course not." She fidgeted. "But, uh, I thought you were a student, learning to fight creatures of darkness in your hero school or something."

All the while, she failed to maintain eye contact for any length of time. It revealed to him the truth. Tattletale considered him the scariest thing in the room right now.

Jaune's gaze fell to the floor, where he scuffed at the tiles, suddenly uncertain. "I mean, Beacon taught me to fight more than just Grimm. There are any number of enemies facing our world. Bandits, traitors, those who would raze settlements for kicks. I've seen people die, and this isn't the first time one met their end by my hands." Emerald green eyes, and messy black hair came to mind. "It doesn't make me a monster."

That was fine, right? Surely, it worked that way everywhere? There were crimes, and then there were rejecting the Kingdoms to go live like the Grimm. Once a person crossed that line, they accepted the consequence thereof, and a Huntsman should label them the enemy, too. Everybody knew that. It's normal.

"I didn't want to kill them. They decided otherwise."

Tattletale's mystified looks continued for a long beat. What she saw, she did not share. But then, she closed her eyes, and took a few deep breaths. When she opened them, it was with her usual expression, if a bit sad.

"Good job, Jaune. And thanks."

She had mustered as much cheer as she could, which in this circumstance amounted to not much at all. Still, it's enough for him.

He was okay. She was okay. So, they'd be okay.

-o-​

"Well."

"Oh gods, it's you again."

His sleep ruined, Jaune got up from the slab of stone, swinging his legs off the side to face the Outsider. The young man with black eyes was perched on a stool at the bar, shaking a bottle upside down to test if beer would come out. No luck, looks like. He set it aside.

As he walked over to the adjacent chair, Jaune peered at their surroundings.

The scene was a mishmash of the Hound Pits Pub, Emily's tower, and a studio apartment that did not belong to this world. Things blurred at random, and objects stuck together, or changed shape in between moments. Havelock's people alternated between looming menacingly, and lying on the ground in pieces. Jaune did his best to not look at them.

Settling on the barstool, he joined the Outsider in gazing at the Void through a modern glass window.

"Soooo, this is different. Are you redecorating?"

"Hardly." He inclined his head at the floor, and the…pile…there. "This is more your sort of work than mine."

"Don't you start. How was I supposed to know other universes have different sensibilities?" Jaune said with a scowl.

"You weren't. And yet, could anyone truly understand? Hundreds of cultures have lived and died on this one little world. For some, the bloody swathe you left in your wake would have earned you a death sentence. For others, worship as a god." The Outsider tapped his chin. "Of course, that often leads to the same outcome. What is it about humans and sacrifices?" A couple of seconds later, he shrugged. "In any case, both you and I have recently discovered that it's a bigger universe out there than we ever suspected. You're going to meet many kinds of people in the days ahead, and they will get their chance to see who you are. Would they love you? Hate you? I admit, it is a story I am eager to watch."

Jaune rolled his eyes. "I can already guess which situation you're rooting for. And, you know, Corvo agreed with what I did. I'm not the weird one."

"He would. You should have seen what he did to the poor Pendletons. It was very creative."

A sigh. "Really, really did not need to know that. Guy scares me enough with how he flips on a switch."

Corvo could be the politest man you'd ever meet. Then, he'd gut you with barely a change in his smile. Jaune was glad they found themselves on the same side.

"Yes, Corvo is a fun one, isn't he? Life's going to get harder for him from here on out."

"What do you mean?" Jaune asked, frowning. "We dealt with Havelock, and Martin too."

"I saw. In doing so, you took away The Vision, and the Charisma of the Loyalists. What remains is the Purse. I wonder," a coin rolled along the bar top, and the Outsider picked it up, "can you change the world with gold alone?"

He flicked it over to Jaune, who caught the coin in his palm. Rather than Jessamine Kaldwin's face, the Mark that branded him was engraved on the sides.

Jaune played with the coin as he mulled on the question. His forehead soon hit the counter.

"Fuck. Pendleton can't carry them all."

Sure, the Loyalist Conspiracy can still afford a resistance movement. That it exists meant nothing without momentum. Havelock's ambition was what gave them a direction, and from the sound of it, Martin served as their face. Each member of the cadre had a part to play.

Nobody would consider Treavor Pendleton to be of revolutionary stock. He was satisfied with acquiring his big mansion, and possessed a most punchable chin.

"You might have saved the princess, but you also gave dear Corvo big boots to fill. He's comfortable as a pawn. Unfortunately for him, that is no longer enough to see his daughter back on the throne. His new story promises to be quite a harrowing ordeal. And if he cannot change to fit the occasion? Then, congratulations, Jaune. You just rang the death knell for an empire. Only a select few throughout history can boast the same."

Still with his head down, Jaune groaned. "I hate you so much right now. Can I, I don't know, stay here in this dream where Corvo can't reach me? Because I think he has a bullet with my name on it. Or a sword. Or an arrow. Or a bomb."

"Oh, no. That won't do. It's a new day full of possibilities, and you need to wake up to meet it," A hand patted his back. "Wake up, Jaune, or never again."

The island shook beneath his feet. Abruptly, he experienced the sensation of falling.

Jaune slammed into the wooden floor of his temporary quarters, half trussed in a blanket. Someone was shaking him, and yelling. As his bleary vision regained focus, their indistinct features coalesced into the face of a frantic Tattletale.

"Come on, wake up!"

"Huh? Tattletale, what the hell? Did you shove me out of bed?"

"You have to see this! And grab your stuff!"

She did not wait for him, running from the room. Then, she came back into view, and started pounding one fist on the open door to hurry him.

Her panic, and the Outsider's warning still ringing in his ears, prompted Jaune to leap to his feet, moving to the bedside table and gathering his belongings. Living out in the settlements, it paid to listen when people start screaming in the night for you to do something. It could be Grimm.

He threw on his clothes, the Panacea Poncho going over top along with the various supplies he tucked inside it. The sword went on one hip, the bone charms on a string around his neck.

Nearly done, his hands stopped. The place he stowed the runes sat empty but for a gold coin bearing the Outsider's Mark.

"That bastard gipped me! Those runes were worth way more than a measly coin!"

"Jaune!"

Right. Not the time.

They rushed down the staircase, passing by Loyalist members in similar states of disarray. The bar room had been cleared of the bodies, though there remained a reddish hue to the floor. Past that, the front entrance.

Out in the street, beneath the night sky, that was when Jaune saw it. The sheer wrongness of the sight left him a gibbering wreck. He clutched his head, striving to comprehend.

"What…what is that? How is it possible? It's so…round…"

Was it the same yesterday? He had not thought to check. Could have never imagined such a thing.

An unbroken moon shone on Dunwall. Whole. Complete. Unnatural.

"What are you on about?" Tattletale placed a finger on his chin to tilt his gaze down and across the street. "That's the problem!"

In front of him was the building from which they entered this world. It had undergone a drastic change, the walls in mid-collapse, and sections looking aged by centuries or in mint new condition. Loose bricks and furniture were floating in the air, sometimes resetting to their original place, sometimes disappearing altogether.

"Oh, yeah. That looks kind of freaky, too."

"The house is being pulled inward, and it's hurting my head every time I use my powers to look."

Jaune got her hint. There's only one thing in the building that could have done this. Their portal.

A figure exited from that house, and teleported to them.

"Stay back. I'm not certain what is happening there, but it could be dangerous." He noticed their guilty expressions. "Do you, perhaps, have an inkling as to the cause?"

Jaune and Tattletale looked at each other, then at Corvo. The former was the one to answer.

"I think we've overstayed our welcome."

What followed was a scramble to grab as much as they could carry. The people in the Hound Pits Pub were wary at first, but Corvo set them to work helping the pair. A keen-eyed observation that the phenomenon seemed to be accelerating put a pep in everyone's steps. Unwilling to test the time limit until a calamity occurred, Jaune and Tattletale left a part of the goods they've negotiated for behind. Objects too unwieldy to move into the building on the first trip would stay in this universe. As an exchange, they were given practically anything lying around the pub that came to hand, people tucking in bits and pieces where it would fit on the pile.

An assassin and a princess waited under a streetlamp, and once they were ready to go, met them to say goodbye.

Jaune spoke to Corvo first, shaking his hand. "I've talked to a man calling himself the Outsider."

"We're acquainted," Corvo said.

"Yeah, I figured. He thinks you're going to have a tough time with Havelock and Martin gone."

"That is obvious, but it was worth the cost, to remove people who would have surely betrayed us at the end of things. I will make do in their place."

"You're not giving up on the Loyalist Conspiracy, I take it?"

An instantaneous response. "Never. The Dunwall that Jessamine loved, I would not let it end. And one day, Emily will return to her home."

"Offer's still on the table, you know. Aura can go a long way to protect you and Emily."

The other man pondered the idea, and as he had the last time Jaune talked of unlocking their Auras, he shook his head.

"Havelock has spread the story far and wide. The survivors that slipped through our grasp will confirm its truth. Your ability is one that armies would go to war for. Should it come to their knowledge that Emily or I possess this 'Aura', even were she to regain her throne, we would be hunted down to the end of our days. For wealth and influence, they've killed my love. I fear what they'd do for the power to claim the world."

"If you're sure."

They both said their farewell, and Jaune moved on to Emily. Having known them for mere hours, she nevertheless sulked as they prepared to depart.

"Do you really have to go?"

Jaune jerked a thumb over his shoulder. "I'm pretty sure it's the only solution to make that stop, so yes, Emily, I have to. On the bright side, that one won't bother you anymore." He pointed at Tattletale, who stuck out her tongue at him.

"She's not that bad," mumbled Emily in a grudging admission. Tattletale took that as her cue to sneer at Jaune, oozing smugness. The younger girl did not notice, attention drawn to the modern clothes Jaune wore, and the piece of fraying reality. "You're not from around here, are you?"

"No, I come from a long ways away. Further than you would believe."

"Then, um, will you ever come back?"

He thought of lying, as he so often ended up doing. But…

"I can't say, Emily. It's a long road I'm taking, and I don't know when I'll finish walking it. Although," he grinned, "if I do happen to stop by here again, would you welcome me?"

Crying, smiling, the princess was yet resolute in her answer.

"Always!"

-o-​

After passing through the portal, Jaune dropped his armful of goods and turned around to check on the ever-shrinking view of the other side, soon sighing in relief. The supernatural effects in the abandoned apartment had ceased, with gravity reasserting. It left a crumbling wreckage, yes, but a mundane sort.

Note to self, Instances have an end point. Best to not stay overlong.

Through a new opening in the Dunwall building, he spotted two people waving. Jaune waved back to them until the portal finally blinked out of existence, and the two universes went their separate ways.

How will their story go? Can Corvo beat the odds? Will Emily become Empress? And…would they remember him? A complicated mess of emotions swirled within his heart, and he struggled to find an answer.

"Hey, Jaune. Catch."

Something soft and white hit him in the face. He pulled it off to see…

"I made sure to grab a couple of towels, so we can dry off after taking a bath now."

"I love you. Dibs on shower."

Universe: Dishonored. Location: Dunwall. Event: House of Pleasure.
Loot acquired: [Third Arm] (upgraded), Bone Charms x2, wristbows x2, crossbow (secondhand), sleep darts (box), sleep dart formula, Piero's Remedy (crate), whale oil fuel (two containers), Gold bar, pearls x2, gold coins, antique clothes (pristine condition), food, daily necessities, two towels

"My, my. It worked. Live long, Jaune, and amuse me."

Plus, a spectator.

Author's Notes: Dishonored is done! Sure ended up long. I think I'll try to fit a few shorter episodes between arcs of this length. Vary it up.

Jaune—I'm not a murderhobo, I'm a Huntsman.
Tattletale—
*stares at Jaune, then at the bodies*

They actually got some loot! New clothes, food, gold, and even a crossbow. Maybe Tattletale can learn to use it, it's not a gun but it's better than nothing and they don't have any other ranged options at the moment
Also Tat's big mouth getting them in trouble, I have a feeling this won't be the last time.

I mean, it's hilarious to me that she would be judging Jaune. Tattletale was Coil's intel machine, she had to know how many people died because of the gangs on a daily basis. Jaune's not a murderhobo, he didn't pick a fight AT ALL. In fact, LISA picked the fight. Lisa is the actual murderhobo here. The fact that she sucks at murder and has to rely on Jaune the human marshmallow to bail her out doesn't change the fact that all Jaune did was defend himself and them from a coup Lisa herself precipitated.

His face fell in disappointment when Emily did not take notice, riveted as she was on the details of Jaune's weapon
Heh. You are too edgy for your daughter's tastes Corvo. An itinerant white knight on the other hand is 'Cool' :p
"I bet you're just mooching off of him."

Tattletale's composure cracked like glass.

"Hah? Say that again, little girl! He would be dead without me!"
Tattletale getting riled up by a 10-year-old will not stop being hilarious any time soon :D
"But I figured it out! I was right!"
[...]
"You were, and I would have applauded you had it not brought an army down on us."
Yup. Your grasp of Tattletale's characterization is really good.
All the while, she failed to maintain eye contact for any length of time. It revealed to him the truth. Tattletale considered him the scariest thing in the room right now.
Hmmm. Normally I'd call bullshit but I suppose she did just witness her golden retriever hero wannabe of a partner in crime tear through like 40+ armed guys.
Brings to mind the Yellow Trailer. If it wasn't a kids show I imagine the aftermath of a super sayan going through a bunch of trash tier mooks would be a lot bloodier.
"What do you mean?" Jaune asked, frowning. "We dealt with Havelock, and Martin too."
Wait, Martin has been dealt with too? When? Did it happen off screen?
An unbroken moon shone on Dunwall. Whole. Complete. Unnatural.
Pffft. Yeah I imagine it would look freaky to a person from Remnant.
Jaune got her hint. There's only one thing in the building that could have done this. Their portal.
Blunt yet effective way of letting our protagonists know they overstayed their welcome.
How long were they in Dunwall?
A few days in total?
"I love you. Dibs on shower."
Dibs? You should share it. You know, to be efficient with hot water.

Okay. Interesting way of closing an arc. I am slightly confused about why was the Loyalist issue even mentioned to Jaune? Why tell him about a problem if you won't give him time to do anything about it? The Outsider wanting to guilt trip him just because?
I love this emerging pattern of Jaune picking up an annoying stray on every world, really hope it continues!
There's only so much room in Jaune's TARDIS interdimensional crib. It's not a boarding house.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Normally I'd call bullshit but I suppose she did just witness her golden retriever hero wannabe of a Companion tear through like 40+ armed guys.
Brings to mind the Yellow Trailer. If it wasn't a kids show I imagine a super sayan going through a bunch of trash tier mooks would be a lot bloodier.
That's the whole reason Aura exists, according to the CRWBY. 'How do we do all of these high octane action scenes where people are shooting and stabbing each other without, you know, all the blood and guts? Thus, forcefields.' So even the mooks got it.

(Also, while I love RWBY to death, I am so not showing it to any kids I have until they're like, mid teens cuz holy fuck some of this shit is dark.)

Last edited:
Okay. Interesting way of closing an arc. I am slightly confused about why was the Loyalist issue even mentioned to Jaune? Why tell him about a problem if you won't give him time to do anything about it? The Outsider wanting to guilt trip him just because?
Might be the case. Remember how the Outsider was needling Jaune about his deceptions in Remnant? Even though that wasn't really relevant anymore? He might be waving the consequences of Jaune's actions in his face to deflate his impressions of being a hero to these people.

It's actually a clever way to help Jaune maintain perspective. Too often, these sort of Company stories end up having the protagonist slowly slide into doing immoral or even monstrous things, while using mental gymnastics to justify themselves, sometimes by just turning the victim into a strawman. Having some guy in your dreams picking apart your actions would be a good way to head that off.

Smug Tattletale meets Mysterious Outsider in a battle for the sagas

the loser? Jaune's peace of mind.

The Outsider wanting to guilt trip him just because?
He hides it under a façade of aloofness, but the Outsider is kind of an asshole.
There's only so much room in Jaune's TARDIS interdimensional crib. It's not a boarding house.
Good thing his new passenger is of the mental variety, all the frustration of Tattletale with only at most a coin worth of baggage.

Having some guy in your dreams picking apart your actions would be a good way to head that off.
The Outsider as the moral compass of the group, now that a thing I didn't have on my bingo list, but I can kind of see it works. Better then Jaune's might soon to be broken himbo energy and Tattletale feet first into the moral sloop slide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back