1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Time for some localized burninating, I hope.

This Lichen stuff feels just a bit like the hellish ecosystem of Henders Island.

This is not a comforting comparison.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Doubt that will do anything.

Melmoth has been setting this up for hundreds of years, by now the stuff should be burrowed so deep into the planet that the only way to eradicate everything would be to destroy the planet itself.

3. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Evacuate the sentient population of the planet, and glass/destroy the planet?

4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So a Grey Lichen Goo scenario?

And here we see the usual causality bending results of messing with the past.

The Sheeda seem the result of another stable time loop.

Though if and how Paul fits into that is anyone's guess.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Evacuate the planet, maybe.

But I doubt Paul has the ability to actually destroy it, even assuming he could muster up the necessary "want" to do so. Which I rather doubt he will be able to since Melmoth isn't some sort of existential threat to him or the people he considers his.

6. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Makes me think of Zerg creep.

Not the hardest thing to do.

Gilhelmi and moralrelativity like this.
  7. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Oh man I forgot that book. I think my dog ate it?

Gilhelmi likes this.
  8. BlueMangoAdea

Didn’t Paul use singularity weapons, before? At any rate, if he can’t destroy the planet by himself, I’m pretty sure he can bring allies who can.

Gilhelmi, Ardy, Darko and 4 others like this.
  9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

a go, or possibly a 'go.'

an orange

off

loses

projection, I think?

On the contrary, there are specific laws about finding someone's identifying information and using it to incite third parties.

Darko, Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, swirly-cheeks' earning a lot of payback from this. When's the last time OL was this hampered by his enemy's ability to block ring scans?

Crud. Let's hope the Rot isn't involved somehow. At least, the Rot of Earth. Anyway, that doesn't sound good at all.

I'm betting this is something from home. Something knife-ears never expected to see here.

Talk fast, buddy. Time is of the essence in this situation. And that's a helluva lot of Fear.

Great to see such tactical coordination. Not what you usually get from most superheroes.

True, conventional booms may be impressive, but they're not gonna beat a well reinforced Environmental Shield, much less a full construct. And this situation can't get any worse...

Wonder why they're getting sluggish? leaving their effective control radius? Or simply running out of energy.

Now to see how much damage has actually been caused by that little set-to in the dungeons.

And well out of range of most of their attacks, so he could rip them up remotely. Good.

Just in case. Never good to assume the enemy have no air support, it has a bad habit of dropping out of nowhere on you.

Eh? Did he get hurt? Never even noticed. Price of him begin an arsehole, I suppose.

...Huh, How'd I miss that happening. At least OL gives enough of a damn to fix it.

...That's an odd reaction. Then again, how many times has OL regrown an entire limb for someone?

And how many of those times did he do it to someone with strong metaphysical senses... o_O Fascinating.

I'm not seeing a connection. Though it explains why they drag fresh blood back from the past...

This is not really news. We saw the flies, and the armour. Even the computer consoles...

...Oh. Well, shit. They're basically living in the aftermath of a biological grey goo scenario, are they? That would explain so much about their altered biology.

Feeding on the lifeforce of their harvested victims. Not a new concept. But does that mean.. everything around them is trying to do the same to them?

Which he probably would do, just to be an ass about it. Like I said, he'll flip the table if he thinks he's losing...

So... Melmoth's plan is to.. Sheeda-form this planet, and Columbia with it? And in effect, create the very world he and his were born into.

Like a mass of kudzu. The red algae from War of the Worlds. Or, as Queshire put it, Zerg Creep from Starcraft. And it won't stop until all else is consumed...

So hard times ahead for the Columbians and warlock-breed. Either they remain, fight the growth and learn to adapt, or they flee to another world...

Good point, there's a whole town of people unaware these worms are on the move.Not to mention any other villages around..

Man... This is not an easy scenario to resolve...

Let's hope he can do so. Who knows what effect the local environment will have on communications...

Hoo boy. The only way this could get worse is if the Harrowing Fleet Melmoth was worried about shows up. At which point this will basically turn into a Tyranid invasion. Methinks the Columbians and warlock-breed are going to have to make peace real fast if they want to survive.

Sure, in a situation like this...
    Tense feels off. 'Pronounces'?
    ...his new lower leg in nearly as much discomfort...
    How long do Low Born Sheeda usually last?
    I do not understand the magics which allow us to raid the past

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea, but those aren't going to destroy a planet unless he spends a couple years going at it.

And the only ally he has that might be able to is Mother Mercy, and they don't have a portal big enough to bring her.

12. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I think this should probably be 'which'

13. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Hmm.....

Solution, far as I'm concerned at this point is OL going full power, and Carving the chunk of land mass off the planet and ...NOT toss it into the sun, but do get it into space and away from the world before the critters can spread so far that it can't be done without rendering the planet hostile to life anyway.

This isn't an invasion, it's an INFECTION.....cut it out before it spreads.

OL can leave enough rock between him and the bugs so he's not directly effecting them. The things will eat what rock is left with them over time and then starve, assuming they can survive vacuum.

14. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm not using the Rot.
    Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Darko and 3 others like this.
  15. BlueMangoAdea

How about the Sivanas? They're certainly inclined to help fight Sheeda, and I'm pretty sure they could cook up a planet-buster if they wanted to.

Ardy and Darko like this.
  16. Profipfreely

Profipfreely Verified Pun

Is it bad that I've watched SovietWomble video's so much that my next thought was "What's happening?" "The door is blocked!" "What's happening?"

Anyway, great chapter!

17. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Alright, I'm going to ask. What is Henders Island?

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

A quick google search later- Fragment.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'worms' without the '

Maybe 'are gone'

Unless it's his archaic speech it should be 'the end'

I feel that I should point out that Eris may be cheating on Paul with the newest black lantern SI on SB, or at least that's what it felt like in the latest chapter.

The story is called It's an Unliving.

Paul was able to muster up the desire to wipe out the Citadel, and the people he did it for weren't 'his' for a long time.

Melmoth is also a person Paul would greatly dislike.

Basically a sadistic monster that commits evil actions for no other reason than his own pleasure.

He could just make his singularity cannons a whole lot bigger, as well as make a few hundred of them, and then go all out on the planet.

He didn't so this the previous times he used them because he wasn't trying to destroy planets.

His database also probably has a whole lot of planet killing weapons in it, aside from black hole weapons.

As for people that could help him there are the Controllers.

Renegade once mentioned that the Guardians could destroy planets using willpower, so chances are high that the Controller's van use desire to do something similar.

That or just call a bunch of other Lanterns to help him.

Or bond with the Ophidian again.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well he regrew Roy's arm after he was rescued.

He healed several Amazons after Sorrow and Circe attacked, and I think some of them may have lost limbs in some pretty nasty ways during that.

I'm talking about having their arms fused to stone after Sorrows little reality tearing.

He also probably healed those Tamaraneans he rescued from the Citadel.

And technically he helped Jade heal those Vietnamese people, several of which lacked limbs, and a whole lot of other things, when he gave her the ring.

The new limb may still not be connected to his spiritual network in a sense.

I once saw this crime documentary where a man wanted to cut off his own leg even though there was nothing wrong with it.

A psychiatrist they interviewed said that there was a theory that there is a part of the brain where there is a map of the body and that the guy may have had that part damaged and thought his leg didn't belong there.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I can't find it. Do you have a link?

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here you go.

Hope you like it.

Ardy and Gromweld like this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Not sure how much they would be able to help there, they usually work on a scale a lot smaller then "Zerg Infestation.".

And he did it by colony drop, a feat he can't repeat here.

No, he couldn't, because E=MC2.

A singularity and black hole are different things.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Oh please, as if the Sivanas wouldn't have some kind of way to deal with that.

What kind of self respecting mad scientist wouldn't have something to deal with that.

If he flies into space and gets a very big asteroid then he can, or just destabilize the suns in this universe.

The laws of physics as we know them tend to be more like polite suggestions in the DC universe.

Didn't know that, but that doesn't change the fact that he most likely has a whole lot planet killers in his database.

Oh and one more person who could help him destroy this is Effigy.

The Controller that made him said that he could scour a planet of all life on it.

Ardy and Xmaster3000 like this.
  25. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

He doesn't. The thing is, Paul's outsider knowledge allows him to affect the timeline in the same way a time traveler would. The main difference is that Paul isn't from the future.

26. Threadmarks: Faed Away (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

4th May
    20:03 GMT -5

Much as this sucks, as planetary invasions go

Sivana grins menacingly as he flips the switch on his hex-generator, and the sky ripples as the harvest-ship that has been eating its way through what's left of Detroit suddenly loses its wards and becomes visible. It had been a disturbing sight: factories and homes just vanishing without rhyme or reason, and unlike with the raiding bands it isn't just a matter of hunkering down until the invisibility spells lose power. I don't know what they can do Sheeda-side, but on a magically active planet like modern Earth the ships can keep it up indefinitely. Not just invisible to the electromagnetic spectrum but almost unthinkable.

The arcane engineers in the Queen's employ will realise what's happening at once, and they'll shout warnings. I can already see insect-riders rising from the stable-bays-.

"It would be so easy…"

Sivana's hands are twitching over the console which controls his other tools-.

I shake my head. "Doctor, the Queen isn't even here. I didn't like letting them destroy our shipyard in Kenya, but I did it because I knew it was necessary. If you can't control yourself-."

"I know. But to have-" A light comes on. "-them…" He recovers his smile. "There. They're calling for aid."

Jon and Sam agreed to pulling back US military assets once we discovered where the harvest ship was. They may not be real warships, but their beam weapons would shred pretty much anything that could be sent against it. The only avenue of attack is to take advantage of the fact that it has relatively low power reserves, and… You'd have to maintain a constant attack for days and take tremendous casualties to make that matter. China decided to ignore my advice and try that after their nuclear strike failed, and… It will work. After about a week and the deaths of half a million soldiers.

No. We need the Queen to deploy Castle Revolving somewhere we can get at it. And given how they really don't want to lose the harvesters…

BOOM! Kill.

Two blaster-equipped drone squadrons fly out of the boom tubes and fly at the Sheeda air cavalry. I learned the painful way that any attack that doesn't kill them lets them adapt their armour spells to nullify it, which forced me to bench my entire purple death ray force. Ah, yes, the Sheeda have spotted them-.

"They're calling again. Do it now!"

My eyes flick his way for a moment. "I'm choosing to interpret that as a request."

I raise my right arm, fusion cannon construct manifesting as I point it at the harvest ship. Which thanks to Circe hasn't spotted us yet, though that will soon change. This time the gun manifests differently, the ongoing terror of everyone left in the city and the fear of a world under assault meaning that I can afford to put a little more pressure on things.

Let's see. Don’t want to knock the ship out completely

There. Here I Stand.

I aim at a point just above and to the left of the primary harvesting array. And I fire, a blinding line connecting me to my target and punching through the far side. Face Me!

I step up onto the bonnet of an abandoned car and stride down the roofs of empty vehicles, Circe's ward evaporating around m-.

One of the harvest ship's underslung beam weapons orientates on me and fires, an entropic ray about a metre across hitting me on the upper right side of my chest. The crashed vehicles behind me decay in moments but I'm a New God. I am fuelled by the Source. And I did just shoot out about two thirds of the power relays to the lower platform. That probably helps.

I target the gun and fire again as I continue my advance, neatly shearing off the gun that shot me.

"Face me, Queen of the Sheeda!" WHERE IS YOUR NAME, THAT IS WRITTEN IN THE STARS?!

For a New God, that's throwing down the gauntlet. A demand that they confront the one shouting it, and a gamble from the one shouting it. Because if they demonstrate their nature and successfully slight yours, you get a very long term disadvantage using New God technology and God-powers against them. Of course, by making such a bold statement you get a boost and if you can make your claim of superiority stick then you keep it. To anyone else it's pretty much just an insult: strongly implying that since they're not one of us that they are ultimately unable to effect a change of any significance.

But it's still God-speech. A challenge shouted on a thaumically active planet. So when the Queen gets a request for help… If we're right, then she'll think of this as a personal insult and turn up to put me in my place. If not? Well, then I get a free harvest ship.

With the challenge issued and unanswered, my armour's ability to resist attacks by anyone working for the Queen is magnified… To a point. An unanswered attack will still weaken it, but only if the attack actually does something and is entirely unanswered. I don't have to spend the rest of eternity chasing down one guy who got a lucky hit in. But as the gunners on the back of the Sheeda flies try to find time to focus on the ground targets that they're designed for while the drivers duck and dive to try and avoid the blaster shots… They must recognise them by now. A couple who-. Ah, they're tanking shots, they've already acquired immunity. I could probably power through it using-

Red beams from their entropic rays hit my chest to very little effect.

-my God powers, but that would imply that they were significant enough to warrant it.

I raise both forearms in their direction, generate pulse plasma guns on both forearms and open fire. I do add a little of my own power to the shots to make my point, because there's nothing quite like a coup de grâce that misses to make a person look foolish.

What emerges from the guns are barely visible flickers of burning white, each existing only for moment before losing their heat to the surrounding environment. But in that moment they punch through Sheeda fly wings and harnesses, causing mutant insects and riders to tumble through the air and crash uncontrollably into the ravaged city.

Looks like Sheeda armour isn't very good at absorbing kinetic shocks. Worth remembering. I drop the construct on my left forearm and aim the one on the right at the fliers trying and failing to duel with the far more agile drones-.

And there's the castle. There's no transition; it doesn't shimmer or generate any kind of portal I can see, even with my goggles. One moment local airspace contains drones, insect riders and a harvest ship and the next there's a giant… 'Lump of radioactive coral' would be my best stab at describing it.

I don't know exactly what the glowing green bits do but it's somewhat irrelevant. By answering my challenge, Queen Gloriana Tenebrae has created a link between us. I might be able to exploit that unaided, but-

I twist the knob on Circe's amulet, which starts sparking.

-why have friends if you're not going to exploit them?

"Hush tube." Stand before me.

"Ping."

"Sivana-."

"Lex is already en-route."

"Good show. See you shortly."

Because while I can probably kill the Queen, stopping the ship is a dicier prospect. But what the heck? I dismiss my gun construct, fold my arms behind my back and walk through the hush tube in an utterly unhurried manner.

And I appear in front of the Queen's throne, Sheeda I assume to be the command crew at stations around the room and what must either be her bodyguards or her handmaidens crouched at her calves.

The bondage theme is strong in this one.

"Queen Gloriana Tenebrae?"

Guns and blades are drawn and I affect an air of being utterly unimpressed.

"I will now permit you to surrender."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  27. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

Wow, Grayven is channeling some serious glorious bastard energy here. I freaking love it.

28. QuiescentQueste

QuiescentQueste Not too sore, are you?

"I will now permit you to surrender."
    A bold move Cotton.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'them' not 'then'

maybe 'bodyguards' seeing as there are more than one handmaiden.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.