• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I thought Blaze was the one that helped Adom do that?

Unless Jebediah told her to do it after he failed to get Adom to use the power of the gods that empowered him and thought another person may be more suited to getting him to accept a similar offer.
Using local gods was Blaze's idea, but Jeb was the one who madae it happen.

Didn't you said it was his daughter that actually made the deal, not Shazam? And when he asked the Gods to take the power back they ignored him?

Using local gods was Blaze's idea, but Jeb was the one who madae it happen.

She apparently guided Adom through the process by bringing him to their temples but Shazam actually negotiated the deal with the gods.

Don't remember the part about him asking them to take away his power and being ignored.

I think he trapped Adom in his body because he was worried Adom could convince his gods to resurrect him if he went to the afterlife so he made sure he didn't go there.

As to how he did that even though he wasn't channeling the magic himself, well Jebediah knows the spell of empowerment so he probably had some control over it, even though he may have lacked as much as he had over Billy.

Plus the guy was an ancient and powerful wizard even back then.

Depending on the version, Superman's 'heard' things while in deep space. Near perfect vacuum, and likely at least an AU away from the source.

He's held conversations while at super speed with Flash and Captain Marvel.

Trying to explain kryptonian biology in a logical and rational sense will drive you as mad as a hatter.

Superforce?

We know there's a Speed Force in the comics, along with the other Forces that were introduced in the n52, like the Sage Force, which is basically the Force from Star Wars in a lot of ways, so Superforce is as good an explanation as any.

He's got a point there...

Rao, Vohc, Flamebird and Nightwing. The Gods of Krypton.

Wait.....ok...the Star System, and Star for the planet Krypton was named 'Rao' in honor of the God Rao.....but the star going nova was because one of the Endless talked the Star (or it's anthropomorphized embodiment) into exploding.

So there is a God named Rao, and a Star Named Rao, that is also sapient.

No WONDER the natives are so screwy.

He's got a point there...

Rao, Vohc, Flamebird and Nightwing. The Gods of Krypton.

Wait.....ok...the Star System, and Star for the planet Krypton was named 'Rao' in honor of the God Rao.....but the star going nova was because one of the Endless talked the Star (or it's anthropomorphized embodiment) into exploding.

So there is a God named Rao, and a Star Named Rao, that is also sapient.

No WONDER the natives are so screwy.

Actually I think the star and the god Rao are the same.

And Despair convinced Rao to create a species on an unstable planet, not explode himself.

[Digs into wiki's]

Rao is the system, and was named first in comics.

Rao was later made a God in lore so superman could swear in his name without comic code issues.

El, evidently was retconed to mean 'star' and Kal meaning 'child'...with Kal-El meaning 'Star Child'.

They added in a Kal-El the First as an early ancestor of Superman, and the whole clan

Other entries may point to Rao the God having kryptonian descendants leading to the El Family.

"Eldirao" seems to be the proper name of the Star in the Rao system itself (as of Infinite Crisis when Kal-L, Kal-El and Superboy Prime took a Dunk in it). Breaking it down as 'Star of Rao'

But the entity that the Endless were talking to Was named as Rao. Our Sun was refereed to as Sol, using the Latin/ Scientific name for it. The meeting was of celestial and cosmic bodies (With the one that cheated on the Endless's paramour being the star for the Mathusians)

....so I'm just more confused then when I started.

EDIT:

I have revised my earlier statement, after reading about post Nu-52 Rao

Trying to explain kryptonian biology ANYTHING in a logical and rational sense will drive you as mad as a hatter.

Last edited:
The Other Half (part 17)
12th July 2012
13:24 GMT -8

Uncorporation staff run past me carrying machinery from.. I don't know where, heading to the laboratory Cranius is hastily rebuilding in his medical facility. Yeah, I don't know exactly how much blood is in Otto's body, but I very much doubt that he's designed to have multiple heads plugged into him for any length of time. I'm trying to stay out of their way, but I'm really big and there aren't a lot of clear gangways in a place this badly damaged.

Ah, it's going to have to come down anyway.

I exit the building through an external hole, getting a clear look at the physical damage most of the central business district of Aberrance has suffered. It's… Near-total. My constructs only held up the buildings for as long as it took for the people inside to evacuate, and the moment that happened and I left… Collapse. I've cleared the major streets so that vehicles could get through, but… It's not like there's a better place for the rubble to be while it gets sorted and processed.

Rising into the air, I fly to the point in the second storey closest to where Cranius is, open a hole in the wall and fly in. Cranius is still working, his head-transplant operations having expanded to plug people into what I'm sure are entirely voluntary volunteers from amongst the third generation cohort.

He doesn't look around.

"Grayven. We're working. Summary only, ja?"

'We're'-? Oh, that's Crassus assembling the bioreactor. He's out in the open in sunlight where people can see him. Weird.

"The insectoids are back in their enclosure, the elementals are banished and the wizard leading the attack appears to have left. An ally of ours is creating area wards around Aberrance which should prevent him reappearing. The attacker's name is Ahri'ahn."

"Zhe Atlantean? He is still alive?"

"Yeah, he dodged Adom's second punch. Don't know how many people are dead yet, but…" I look around his trauma ward. "It looks like the attack focused here. I'm estimating maybe ten or twenty outside."

"More here. Many more. When zhe creature appeared, zhe soldiers, zhey tried to fight it. I was… I was supposed to be working on a boy wizh… Leukaemia today. And now I… I have rubble."

"It killed him?"

"No. No, Niko ran wizh zhem to the back entrance… It attacked her and ignored zhem."

"And that's..? Where..?"

"I'm not dead, Grayven." Niko's head is attached to the stomach of a six-armed un-woman, and there's some sort of growth attached to her back that undulates as she speaks. "Though for some reason I can't stop thinking of head-puns."

"Uh. Are you..?"

"Better a head than dead. Right?"

Her expression is slightly pained, but she doesn't sound like she's on the verge of a total break down.

"What happened to your… Body?"

"I was too busy screaming to really get a good look."

"Radiation burns." Cranius begins slotting blood samples into a baroque-looking machine. "Fatal. Un-men are not prone to cancer but we can still catch fire."

"Remains?"

"Nozhing I can work wizh."

Oh dear. Sinestro, give me the news.

I fear that you are correct, Lantern Grayven.

"The Nth metal in her body. It's nothing I can't replace-" With a trip to Thanagar or to one of their perennial enemies. "-but it is rare and valuable and there are a lot of things someone could do with it. And my ring can't find your remains."

"I knew zhat zhe metal was valuable, but… Zhis whole..?"

"No, no. Ahri'ahn just finds un-men really disgusting. Though according to our Greek mutual friend he finds most people disgusting." I sigh. "I'll check, but I'm going to provisionally assume that Ahri'ahn got it. And, ah." I look Niko's head over. "The rest of you."

"So. I guess… No more flying for a while."

"Flying? You should be more worried about blood magic. When a magician of that level of experience gets a part of your flesh-."

But… I know a way around that. It… Might actually fix… Not everything, but-.

"Something.. occurs. Excuse me."

Mother Box, hush tube to wherever John Constantine is at present.

Ping.

Not completely unexpected. Just follow the scent of nicotine, then. I'm sure that he's at least trying.

Ping.

And I fly through the portal and-

12th July 2012
14:27 GMT -7

-he is indeed, a literal sphere of cigarette smoke enshrouding his head and stubbornly refusing to drift away.

"The fact I can't see yeh-" His right hand and the cigarette it's holding emerge from the smoke. "-doesn't mean I don't know that someone's there."

"John, you've got something I want, and since I want it now I'm not going to haggle. What do you want for Gabriel's wings?"

With whatever Circe did to him to envelop his head in smoke I can't even scan his expression.

"Well that's-."

"Don't mess about. A lot of people died today because Ahri'ahn went on a rampage. The only reason it's not more is that Cranius is plugging severed heads into other people's bodies to keep them alive."

I fire a blast of yellow at his face, transmuting the smoke into air. His eyes take a moment to adjust to the sudden light.

"You know where they are?"

"Yes."

He gives a small shrug. "You can owe me. Either that or get Madam Circe to take off these bothersome curses."

"I'll ask, but I'd suggest that you either stop pissing her off or just quit. I'm fine owing you. Mother Box."

"Ping."

I step through the portal and-

12th July 2012
21:29 GMT

-Jesus this place is a sty. The wings -silver blood congealing on the severed stumps- are shoved out of the way on top of a rickety-looking shelving unit. I grab them and then walk through-

12th July 2012
13:27 GMT -8

-into Aberrance.

"Got some replacement wings for you. The blood should also have healing properties."

"Zhank-."

"Oh God thank you. Ah. Do they work? They look a bit…"

"They should." I lay them down carefully on a gurney and Cranius leaps up to examine them. "Now I have to go and explain things to General Lane."

Last edited:
No. No, Niko ran wizh zhem to the back entrance… It attacker her and ignored zhem."

Probably because she was an Un-Man, or Un-Woman in this case.

I'm sure that he's at least trying.

Yeah, now he smokes five packs of cigarettes a day instead of ten.

Progress.

a literal sphere of cigarette smoke enshrouding his head and stubbornly refusing to drift away.

I think Circe had something to do with this.

With whatever Circe did to him to envelop his head in smoke I can't even scan his expression.

Called it.

You're going to regret those words renegade, you're going to regret them.

How's Graven going to manage this? Use the Awakening in lace of the Holy Pomegranate?

He does know a whole lot more about the Source compared to Paragon and those on his side, so he may have an easier time with this.

12th July 2012
13:24 GMT -8

Uncorporation staff run past me carrying machinery from.. I don't know where, heading to the laboratory Cranius is hastily rebuilding in his medical facility. Yeah, I don't know exactly how much blood is in Otto's body, but I very much doubt that he's designed to have multiple heads plugged into him for any length of time. I'm trying to stay out of their way, but I'm really big and there aren't a lot of clear gangways in a place this badly damaged.
Ah, the classic Astartes issue. Corridors considered large for normal people tend to feel a lot more cramped when you're eight-plus feet tall. Couldn't you at least fly above their heads to save space? :p Undignified as that might be.

Ah, it's going to have to come down anyway.

I exit the building through an external hole, getting a clear look at the physical damage most of the central business district of Aberrance has suffered. It's… Near-total. My constructs only held up the buildings for as long as it took for the people inside to evacuate, and the moment that happened and I left… Collapse. I've cleared the major streets so that vehicles could get through, but… It's not like there's a better place for the rubble to be while it gets sorted and processed.
And any unnoticed casualties get tallied up. Because you weren't here from the start, after all. A lot can happen in the few moments between receiving the call and exiting your Boom-Tube...

Rising into the air, I fly to the point in the second story closest to where Cranius is, open a hole in the wall and fly in. Cranius is still working, his head-transplant operations having expanded to plug people into what I'm sure are entirely voluntary volunteers from amongst the third generation cohort.

He doesn't look around.
At least that gets around the issue of too many brains for one heart. Or two. Or as many as Otto has. Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't considering using the Orange Ring to flash-form fresh bodies yet.

"Grayven. We're working. Summary only, ja?"

'We're'-? Oh, that's Crassus assembling the bioreactor. He's out in the open in sunlight where people can see him. Weird.
I know, right? You'd think it was an emergency or something. At least Arion the Elder didn't get to him too.

"The insectoids are back in their enclosure, the elementals are banished and the wizard leading the attack appears to have left. An ally of ours is creating area wards around Aberrance which should prevent him reappearing. The attacker's name is Ahri'ahn."

"Zhe Atlantean? He is still alive?"
Regrettably so, despite Adom's best effort to reduce him to a bloody cloud. Wily bastard.

"Yeah, he dodged Adom's second punch. Don't know how many people are dead yet, but…" I look around his trauma ward. "It looks like the attack focused here. I'm estimating maybe ten or twenty outside."

"More here. Many more. When zhe creature appeared, zhe soldiers, zhey tried to fight it. I was… I was supposed to be working on a boy wizh… Leukaemia today. And now I… I have rubble."
Shiiit. But if he hadn't been treated yet...

"It killed him?"

"No. No, Niko ran wizh zhem to the back entrance… It attacker her and ignored zhem."
...He and his family were ignored because they were just Humans. Thank goodness. But... :eek: Niko's body had Nth Metal...

"And that's..? Where..?"

"I'm not dead, Grayven." Niko's head is attached to the stomach of a six-armed un-woman, and there's some sort of growth attached to her back that undulates as she speaks. "Though for some reason I can't stop thinking of head-puns."
The growth being a secondary lung, I suppose. I'll bet most of the people made a head shorter will have similar...

"Uh. Are you..?"

"Better a head than dead. Right?"
...Let's leave the puns off while you're.. calm.

Her expression is slightly pained, but she doesn't sound like she's on the verge of a total break down.

"What happened to your… Body?"
To be fair, I doubt she was paying much attention after the first punch...

"I was too busy screaming to really get a good look."

"Radiation burns." Cranius begins slotting blood samples into a baroque-looking machine. "Fatal. Un-men are not prone to cancer but we can still catch fire."
...Ow. On the upside, Cranius can prevent any issues with tissue compatibility. So everyone involved will be a little uncomfortable for the next while, but alive.

"Remains?"

"Nozhing I can work wizh."
...I suspect the term 'pile of hamburger' could be applied.

Oh dear. Sinestro, give me the news.

I fear that you are correct, Lantern Grayven.
:p ...He's got a bad case of loving you? But seriously, if Arion the Elder realised what the Nth Metal is, and grabbed it...

"The Nth metal in her body. It's nothing I can't replace-" With a trip to Thanagar or to one of their perennial enemies. "-but it is rare and valuable and there are a lot of things someone could do with it. And my ring can't find your remains."

"I knew zhat zhe metal was valuable, but… Zhis whole..?"
Oh, no, that was just the cherry on top of the shit sundae...

"No, no. Ahri'ahn just finds un-men really disgusting. Though according to our Greek mutual friend he finds most people disgusting." I sigh. "I'll check, but I'm going to provisionally assume that Ahri'ahn got it. And, ah." I look Niko's head over. "The rest of you."

"So. I guess… No more flying for a while."
...Wonder what Cranius could do with kryptonian body parts... Perhaps Karsta Wor-Ul could be convinced to do a little side-project in the cloning labs?

"Flying? You should be more worried about blood magic. When a magician of that level of experience gets a part of your flesh-."

But… I know a way around that. It… Might actually fix… Not everything, but-.
...This sounds like a Grayven Plan. Or worse, a Constantine Plan. And you never go full Constantine, man!

"Something.. occurs. Excuse me."

Mother Box, hush tube to wherever John Constantine is at present.

Ping.
Let me guess. Keeping his head down?

Not completely unexpected. Just follow the scent of nicotine, then. I'm sure that he's at least trying.

Ping.
Especially the scent of magic nicotine. Because Constantine.

And I fly through the portal and-

12th July 2012
14:27 GMT -7

-he is indeed, a literal sphere of cigarette smoke enshrouding his head and stubbornly refusing to drift away.
...Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. One of Circe's little Vexing Hexes?

"The fact I can't see yeh-" His right hand and the cigarette it's holding emerge from the smoke. "-doesn't mean I don't know that someone's there."

"John, you've got something I want, and since I want it now I'm not going to haggle. What do you want for Gabriel's wings?"
...Oh, my. My oh my oh my... Forget Kryptonians, what could Cranius do with Angelic DNA? At least until the Silver City takes exception to him...

"Wellm that's-."
Ah, typical Constantine, looking for his own advantage.

"Don't mess about. A lot of people died today because Ahri'ahn went on a rampage. The only reason it's not more is that Cranius is plugging severed heads into other people's bodies to keep them alive."

I fire a blast of yellow at his face, transmuting the smoke into air. His eyes take a moment to adjust to the sudden light.
Presumably Constantine knows who each of them are, because he does teach at Circe's school. Arion the Elder's naem would have come up in Atlantean references, and Cranius might have consulted him on something, I guess. Maybe getting a new pair of cancer-proof lungs? :D

"You know where they are?"

"Yes."
Not that he's going to tell John how. Unfortunately, their relationship isn't that close.

He gives a small shrug. "You can owe me. Either that or get Madam Circe to take off these bothersome curses."

"I'll ask, but I'd suggest that you either stop pissing her off or just quit. I'm fine owing you. Mother Box."
Asking Constantine to not piss someone off? That's like asking a fish not to breath water.

"Ping."

I step through the portal and-
Yes, other Box, he is an unpleasant fellow. But such have their uses.

12th July 2012

-Jesus this place is a sty. The wings -silver blood congealing on the severed stumps- are shoved out of the way on stop of a rickety-looking shelving unit. I grab them and then walk through-
I really hope that lock-up has plenty of wards. Can you imagine the shit John's got piled up in there?

12th July 2012
13:27 GMT -8

-into Aberrance.

"Got some replacement wings for you. The blood should also have healing properties."
Ah, might want to give him more info than that, Grayven... You know, provide some disclaimers: Not responsible for behavioural changes, not responsible for outbursts of Moral rigidity...

"Zhank-."

"Oh God thank you. Ah. Do they work? They look a bit…"

"They should." I lay them down carefully on a gurney and Cranius leaps up to examine them. "Now I have to go and explain things to General Lane."
Oh, believe me, honey, they will work. You'll feel positively heavenly...

General Lane is probably going to have some very big questions to ask Grayven, I bet. Not least amongst them: Who? Why? How? Will he hit anywhere else in the US? How do we kill him? All questions of great import, I think. Given Cranius' work for the military, in use or not, I think they'll be quite irritated by Arion the Elder's actions...

"Well, that's-."
12th July 2012

-Jesus this place is a sty.
Extra Line Return there.

Last edited:
Wonder what Cranius could do with kryptonian body parts.

Let's not do that.

This sounds like a Grayven Plan. Or worse, a Constantine Plan. And you never go full Constantine, man!

I think it's worse.

It's a Grayvenstantine plan!

They've merged.

Two self-destructive forces have merged into one being.

They'll destroy us all!

Billy agrees with this.

Oh, my. My oh my oh my... Forget Kryptonians, what could Cranius do with Angelic DNA? At least until the Silver City takes exception to him...

Assuming they do.

They went after Paul because he took the fruit, not the wings, and they don'tseem to have a problem with Angel Paul.

At least from what we've seen from his side.

Presumably Constantine knows who each of them are, because he does teach at Circe's school. Arion the Elder's naem would have come up in Atlantean references, and Cranius might have consulted him on something, I guess. Maybe getting a new pair of cancer-proof lungs? :D

Those should last about a month, maybe two.

Can you imagine the shit John's got piled up in there?

Let's not do that.

No one wants those nightmares.

And hell there might honestly be actual nightmares in there.

Ah, might want to give him more info than that, Grayven... You know, provide some disclaimers: Not responsible for behavioural changes, not responsible for outbursts of Moral rigidity...

Assuming it happens with her.

Blaze became moral due to the fruit.

Angel Paul did seem to have changed a bit though, and was acting in a weirdly polite way, so it may do some alterations to her personality.

What happened to Crassus in the Paragon timeline? My memory of the initial appearance of Aberrance in the story is hazy but I know the bio-titan thing destroyed a lot more of the place (I think he was connected to that?).

I think being upfront with the League that Larissa is Circe is just an all-around good idea, it seems like an obfuscation that prevents short-term awkwardness at the risk of straining relations in the long-term (sure, Renegade does that anyway with most things he does, but still). Unless it's her or Renegade intentionally being a troll (a phrase that takes on a different meaning when mages are involved). Lack of communication/coordination between them all indirectly led to Artemis getting sucked into the future, and things could have been a lot worse given the players involved.

Speaking of coordination, there's no Alliance of the Just in the Renegade timeline, so I'm wondering what Alpha Centurion is up to there (he's a pretty interesting character who just faded into the background, which seems a shame. I think introducing him as just returning to Earth would have been a better story decision than just having a space-capable superhero randomly being around all this time, but maybe that's just me).

How are things going with Renegade-Morgaine le Fey? Is she involved with Circe's school in any way? I'd be interested in her Paragon incarnation showing up too somehow; Squire and Cornwall Boy both seem like reasonable plot devices to get involved. Reminds me that SHADE is still an issue in the main timeline as well?

Who has the Trident of Oceanus in the Renegade timeline? I expect Atlantis to be heavily involved in the story soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back