• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

'Did he jump or was he pushed' doesn't literally mean 'did he kill himself or was he murdered', it means 'was this action made of his own volition or was it compelled'.
A paraphrasing of that was used by the mods on Twisting The Hellmouth, which (me being unfamiliar with the expression apart from a story that did take it somewhat literally, and an author that I liked having recently-at-the-time killed himself) had me thinking that Joehundredaire had ended his life, rather than him just quitting the platform. Not really sure if the implication was accidental on their parts, though.

I feel like I've had something like this conversation before.

As far as I know I wasn't, and the birth rate amongst the local humans and beastwomen remains the same as it was before.
Looking back at this, I can't believe I didn't notice this before.

Considering how.... temperamental the male beast-people are, did Paul manage to capture some of them and edit them like he did the Dark Elves, or were there some humans in the village that took a look at the beastwomen and thought, "You know, they seem nice enough, so I might as well try something new...."?

Veganism (part 13)
1st September 2012
15:42 GMT

Diana had better have won.

It's a simple calculation, really. She's not Artemis, but we're unified by purpose. If she's won, then we can use our divine voices to imprint ourselves on the watching Citizens over the crumpled bodies of their domitor and her heir apparent. If she hasn't then I'm about to look...

I look across the arena and see Astarte bound in Diana's lasso, Diana herself looking a bit the worse for wear while Astarte…

I'm not sure what Diana's done there, but she looks… Crushed.

Wonderful!

I-.

"…become something more than the murderers of worlds!"

Oh. I'm interrupting a heroic speech while covered in the blood of the people she was trying to convince. That's not a great look-. But some of the audience are looking at me so I can't really just hide and wait.

So what do I do?

"I see in all of you the potential to be something…"

I tune Diana out of a moment as my mind races.

Okay, so, conceptually, Diana and I can work together just fine. And if I flew out to the centre of the arena right now I'd have about-.

I clean blood off myself.

I'd have about-.

And Theana.

I'd have about four seconds to explain what we need to do to make this work, and convince her to go along with it, and she's already pretty dubious of my intentions. The first thing to do is create construct ropes to bind Theana to create a visual link to her lasso and make it clear that she's a prisoner and not a corpse. Make it so that they prop her up a bit as well.

Okay, if I accept-
I don't shudder.
-a subordinate role, I can reinforce Diana's efforts instead of making my own attempt. It won't work as well as the two of us working in concert and it would deny me any influence over them in-

240px-Paragon_Interrupt.png

- future, so…

Damn it.

I fly towards Diana as her vacuously uplifting speech continues, not so slow as to make a production out of it and not so fast as to look desperate or afraid. Diana barely pauses in her flow as she spots me, though I think I detect a mild lessening of animosity towards me as she sees for herself that Theana is still-

She doesn't know who Theana is, does she?

-alive.

I land a short distance behind her, depositing Theana slightly behind Astarte. Astarte's eyes drift to her daughter for a few moment but she doesn't really seem to be taking things in. I do my best to look like Diana's attendant as she gradually reaches the end of her monologue.

"…together, make our civilisation into something great!" Inspire the Soul to Dream.

I make an effort not to sigh. The Iron Hand for the Glove.

"Okay, Diana, what now?"

"Who is this?"

The crowd appears to be talking about things amongst themselves, though there's a definite drift towards the exits. I hope they've taken that speech as the new boss setting out her policy.

"Her name's Theana. She's your cousin. Apparently the only one. Still alive." With the attention somewhat off me, this time I do sigh. "I assume that we're leaving them alive, then?"

"Yes."

"Right, so do you have eyes in the back of your head now? Because I don't know what you did to Astarte, but Theana is planning on killing you."

"I made her have a conversation with her younger self, from when she volunteered to join the Citizenry in my mother's place."

I give her a look of-.

"Do not look at me like that. I did not realise that the effect would be so severe."

"Breaking her will is kinder than killing-." I frown. "Isn't there..? Don't I remember something about Hades having access to water that can erase a person's memories?"

"The waters of the river Lethe can have that effect."

"Can you erase three thousand years? Reset her back to who she used to be?"

"That would destroy who she is."

"And what she is is so valuable? Is she giving you the impression that she likes who she has become?"

She considers her aunt for a moment.

"You don't need to wipe her out completely. Just take everything until just after she left."

"And Theana?"

"Why not hand her over to Philippus for a decade or so? I'm sure that your mother would like to get to know her, and Philippus has experience in wrangling difficult demigoddesses."

Flat look.

"And some of the island's other demigoddesses can keep an eye on her. And you could hand off ambassador duties to Orana like she's wanted you to since the end of the Second World War." I shrug. "Or take her with you. I'm sure she'd be happy either way. Now you've just got to find Four Ears, and then-"

"Lieutenant Zusen."

"-you can-. Her too, and then you can navigate the fleet to an unoccupied planet and start settling down."

She frowns. "Don't you want my help?"

"Yes, of course, but I'm not entirely convinced that your new people can be trusted to obey you and not depopulate Vega."

"And Artemis hasn't finished planting explosives everywhere yet."

I smile, shrugging. "Probably not, but she's an industrious woman."

"I believe that they can be relied upon to follow my commands. If we engage Grayven away from your worlds, the Providers will not be able to reach them even if they are released contrary to my orders. It isn't necessary for-"

My ring blinks.

"-them-."

"Excuse me." I raise my left hand. "Yes?"

"Daddy? We're under attack."

Last edited:

So Diana God broke her.

Ahh, Renegade.

Ever the asshole.

Okay, if I accept-
I don't shudder.
-a subordinate roll,

Yes, you do shudder.

If only on a spiritual level.

'in concert'

together, make our civilisation into something great!" Inspire the Soul to Dream.

More god speech.

And that's such a Diana thing to say.

"I made her have a conversation with her younger self, from when she volunteered to join the Citizenry in my mother's place."

I give her a look of-.

This is not the weirdest thing that has happened and you know it you big grey douchebag.

Why not hand her over to Philippus for a decade or so? I'm sure that your mother would like to get to know her, and Philippus has experience in wrangling difficult demigoddesses."

Flat look.

According to some people you were pretty hot-headed as a kid.

And some of the island's other demigoddesses can keep an eye on her.

The daughters of Herakles could make sure she doesn't hurt the more squishier of the Amazons.

Now you've just to find Four Ears, and then-"

'got to find'

She frowns. "Don't you will want my help?"

'you still want'

Ah. Ah. The price of Paragon choices- you expend or fail to obtain resources. By ceding to Diana, he can't lead these bullet-sponges in defense of his family.
A minor, immediate headache. But! It means he doesn't have to deal with the long term migraine Diana's accepted by taking responsibility for this fleet of radioactive waste.

Y'know. Old-Grayven could have asked DeSaad (who probably had a feed to the dead Fatherbox) about Renegade-Grayven's weaknesses.

1st September 2012
15:42 GMT

Diana had better have won.

It's a simple calculation, really. She's not Artemis, but we're unified by purpose. If she's won, then we can use our divine voices to imprint ourselves on the watching Citizens over the crumpled bodies of their domitor and her heir apparent. If she hasn't then I'm about to look...
...Rather stupid? Let's not comment on that. Rather, let's consider how likely it is that the changes Diana will inevitably pronounce are to sink into the Citizenry. After all, for most of them, this way of life has been all they've known. And I rather suspect some of the leaders Diana's going to have to smack down enjoy their lot as it is now...

I look across the arena and see Astarte bound in Diana's lasso, Diana herself looking a bit the worse for wear while Astarte…

I'm not sure what Diana's done there, but she looks… Crushed.
At least she's not dead. So no fear of certain vengeance-dispensing spirits coming looking for her.

Wonderful!

I-.

"…become something more than the murderers of worlds!"
...She's giving a 'Why can't we all get along' speech, isn't she? Or is it the 'You can be better than this!' kind?

Oh. I'm interrupting a heroic speech while covered in the blood of the people she was trying to convince. That's not a great look-. But some of the audience are looking at me so I can't really just hide and wait.

So what do I do?.
Claim self-defence? Theana did make it quite clear she was going to go for your throat.

"I see in all of you the potential to be something…"

I tune Diana out of a moment as my mind races.
Yeah, I doubt she's going to drop any surprising ideas.

Okay, so, conceptually, Diana and I can work together just fine. And if I flew out to the centre of the arena right now I'd have about-.

I clean blood off myself.
...A good start.

I'd have about-.

And Theana.
Better. Can't do much about the mess in the crowd, but you can blame that on her.

I'd have about four seconds to explain what we need to do to make this work, and convince her to go along with it, and she's already pretty dubious of my intentions. The first thing to do is create construct ropes to bind Theana to create a visual link to her lasso and make it clear that she's a prisoner and not a corpse. Make it so that they prop her up a bit as well.
Maybe check she's not suffering too bad a concussion, too. Don't want her dropping dead in a brain-bleed later.

Okay, if I accept-
I don't shudder.
-a subordinate roll, I can reinforce Diana's efforts instead of making my own attempt. It won't work as well as the two of us working on concert and it would deny me any influence over them in-
Plus, can you count on Diana being able to support your Godspeech with her own, given that she's not really tried to use it much, especially without the Lasso?

<Paragon Interrupt!.jpg>

- future, so…

Damn it.
I know it stings, but maybe this is for the best, Renegade. Anything Diana gets them to do will only be a step up from what they are now.

I fly towards Diana as her vacuously uplifting speech continues, not so slow as to make a production out of it and not so fast as to look desperate or afraid. Diana barely pauses in her flow as she spots me, though I think I detect a mild lessening of animosity towards me as she sees for herself that Theana is still-

She doesn't know who Theana is, does she?
Not unless Astarte speaks up, And I'm not sure she's in any shape for that...

-alive.

I land a short distance behind her, depositing Theana slightly behind Astarte. Astarte's eyes drift to her daughter for a few moment but she doesn't really seem to be taking things in. I do my best to look like Diana's attendant as she gradually reaches the end of her monologue.
Nope, looks like Diana's Truth-based mind-whammy did a real number on her.

"…together, make our civilisation into something great!" Inspire the Soul to Dream.

I make an effort not to sigh. The Iron Hand for the Glove.
In case that doesn't make sense, consider the following: steel wrapped in silk. Which sums up Diana pretty well.

"Okay, Diana, what now?"

"Who is this?"
Heh, now's the chance for a little trolling.

The crowd appears to be talking about things amongst themselves, though there's a definite drift towards the exits. I hope they've taken that speech as the new boss setting out her policy.

"Her name's Theana. She's your cousin. Apparently the only one. Still alive." With the attention somewhat off me, this time I do sigh. "I assume that we're leaving them alive, then?"
Let's hope they take it to heart. Perhaps you'll need to leave them with a 'Don't make us come back here...' threat.

"Yes."

"Right, so do you have eyes in the back of your head now? Because I don't know what you did to Astarte, but Theana is planning on killing you."
Admittedly, I doubt Theana is quite as dangerous to Diana as her mother was. Meaner and bitchier, maybe, not not that better a fighter.

I give her a look of-.
Yes, that would make even Batman go 'Seriously?'

"Do not look at me like that. I did not realise that the effect would be so severe."

"Breaking her will is kinder than killing-." I frown. "Isn't there..? Don't I remember something about Hades having access to water that can erase a person's memories?"
If not there's always some manner of psycho-surgery possible. Genomorphs, for example.

"The waters of the river Lethe can have that effect."

"Can you erase three thousand years? Reset her back to who she used to be?"
Just make sure you don't use one of the other rivers... Some of those have nasty side-effects...

"That would destroy who she is."

"And what she is is so valuable? Is she giving you the impression that she likes who she has become?"
Yeah, not the biggest loss. And it'd give her a second chance to have a normal life (for an Amazon, at least.)

She considers her aunt for a moment.

"You don't need to wipe her out completely. Just take everything until just after she left."
Hopefully that doesn't leave her as a little girl in a woman's body...

"And Theana?"

"Why not hand her over to Philippus for a decade or so? I'm sure that your mother would like to get to know her, and Philippus has experience in wrangling difficult demigoddesses."
Hopefully they have some way to bind her enhanced abilities down to a safe level, or she could get a little rough.

Flat look.

"And some of the island's other demigoddesses can keep an eye on her. And you could hand off ambassador duties to Orana like she's wanted you to since the end of the Second World War." I shrug. "Or take her with you. I'm sure she'd be happy either way. Now you've just to find Four Ears, and then-"
Yeah, Diana is spreading herself a little thin, with so many jobs... On the other hand, most don't require much of her time...

"Lieutenant Zusen."

"-you can-. Her too, and then you can navigate the fleet to an unoccupied planet and start settling down."
Hopefully crippling their ships afterwards to prevent them up and leaving. Something like that unfortunate Gordanian Clan...

She frowns. "Don't you will want my help?"

"Yes, of course, but I'm not entirely convinced that your new people can be trusted to obey you and not depopulate Vega."
On the upside, Vega does have a Lantern Corps right there. That might encourage them to be a little less dickish to their new neighbours.

"And Artemis hasn't finished planting explosives everywhere yet."

I smile, shrugging. "Probably not, but she's an industrious woman."
...Oh, she's good. I didn't realise she'd even noticed their little byplay.

"I believe that they can be relied upon to follow my commands. If we engage Grayven away from your worlds, the Providers will not be able to reach them even if they are released contrary to my orders. It isn't necessary for-"

My ring blinks."
Oh, that's not good. Hopefully nothing major...

"-them-."

"Excuse me." I raise my left hand. "Yes?"

"Daddy? We're under attack."
:eek: ...Well, shit. Someone's about to die. Messily.

Hmm... Grayven-16 taking advantage of the Renegade's being distracted with the Citizenry, or some unrelated matter of someone who really hasn't been paying attention? Could this be Arion the Elderly coming to poke the beehive? ...Has the Renegade left any other enemy alive willing and capable of attacking his family? At any rate, they're about to get a lesson in fatherly overprotectiveness.

I know it stings, but maybe this is for the best, Renegade. Anything Diana gets them to do will only be a step up from what they are now.

So Diana may create an interstellar force of noble warriors.

In case that doesn't make sense, consider the following: steel wrapped in silk. Which sums up Diana pretty well.

True, but i think the renegade was describing himself there as the iron to Diana's silk.

Yes, that would make even Batman go 'Seriously?'

Far weirder things have happened.

A demigod forcing another demigod to talk to their younger self is one of the least weirdest things.

Hopefully that doesn't leave her as a little girl in a woman's body...

I think she was a teenager when she was taken.

Hopefully they have some way to bind her enhanced abilities down to a safe level, or she could get a little rough.

If not then the daughters of Herakles, or some other super strong Amazons, can keep her under control.

On the upside, Vega does have a Lantern Corps right there. That might encourage them to be a little less dickish to their new neighbours.

They're villains.

Don't expect them to do the smart thing.

I knew it! I knew it! This was a distraction and it was so obvious! Come on, Grayven, you're supposed to be the Renegade for Source's sake!

Leave Diana to her self-imposed mess, now there's no time to nor will she let you erase them. Now it's time for the main event and you're in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and part of your fleet is out of position as well. And there better not be any kind of imminent danger to Lynne; nobody touches the most important person, and possibly future Mind Ruler, of this universe!

DEFEND SPIDER DAUGHTER WITH ALL POSSIBLE ORDINACE!

Just posting my annual suggestion that these weird bizarro timeliness should be separated and be their own story. I stopped trying to follow all timelines at the same time 2 years ago and every time I tried to catch up its been impossible. Will probably post again next year.

Cut scene to a mother holding a baby in her arms, while another child holds fast to her leg, heaving wracking sobs for their shattered world and murdered father, who is even now being processed into xenocide porridge. Irrelevant refugees of the heinous crime Diana herself witnessed her new people commit less than a day ago, and one of the the countless atrocities the Citizenry left behind to account for. How many sentient beings did they kill? Billions? Trillions? Quadrillions?

Whatever it was, they stole at least 40 Hitlers worth of innocent lives! That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible!*
Edit made by Pretty Pretty Princess Diana, Who is not a signatory to any UN or international treaties on war crimes, and did not study the concept of Hostis humani generis in school.

Spare quotation mark at the end there.
Thank you, corrected.
Just posting my annual suggestion that these weird bizarro timeliness should be separated and be their own story. I stopped trying to follow all timelines at the same time 2 years ago and every time I tried to catch up its been impossible. Will probably post again next year.
We'll look forward to it!
Cut scene to a mother holding a baby in her arms, while another child holds fast to her leg, heaving wracking sobs for their shattered world and murdered father, who is even now being processed into xenocide porridge. Irrelevant refugees of the heinous crime Diana herself witnessed her new people commit less than a day ago, and one of the the countless atrocities the Citizenry left behind to account for. How many sentient beings did they kill? Billions? Trillions? Quadrillions?

Whatever it was, they stole at least 40 Hitlers worth of innocent lives! That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible!*
Edit made by Pretty Pretty Princess Diana, Who is not a signatory to any UN or international treaties on war crimes, and did not study the concept of Hostis humani generis in school.
warhammer40k-1.jpg

Found a few errors with coloring,
"That could just be a lab." I bring my hands forward again. Not… Too far now. "Ring, contact Lantern Stewart."

"Kon and I may, possibly, have found a Kryptonian survivor. They're in a kryptonite-rich asteroid in what I hope is a sealed container. I need to know whether Kal-El's got any sort of medical facilities in his Fortress or not."

"That's great news. And, yeah, he does. I took him there one time after he fought the Kryptonite Man
and needed to get himself patched up."[/COLOR]

I'm curious exactly what Diana thinks will become of these people, who came to this change in their ways not through self realization but through defeat. Regardless, she's responsible for whatever results of them now. I hope they can truly atone and build something worthwhile.

I get it.
I don't like it.
But I get it.

I'm curious exactly what Diana thinks will become of these people, who came to this change in their ways not through self realization but through defeat. Regardless, she's responsible for whatever results of them now. I hope they can truly atone and build something worthwhile.

I get it.
I don't like it.
But I get it.
Someone better make a joke about how she couldn't wait to become queen of the Amazons, so she went and stole someone else's group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back