• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

21st year of the reign of King Randor I
Season of Chill
307th day, 18th bell

Every so often, I hear a thud somewhere in the distance as He-Man chases down another trooper.

Every few seconds, I hear a 'clunk' as the head of Teela's staff hits somewhere on Dragstor's cybernetically reinforced body. It seems that he's neither immune to blunt force or easily disabled by it. Adora's takes a few moments to study him, and then-.
Well, this will be over shortly. The question then, is what happens next? Other than Duncan blowing off some stress by yelling at Lantern for a couple of hours. Unless the Sorceress can distract him somehow...

Then she lunges, swords piercing him chest near the gap made for his wheel. She shudders, a mixture of blood and oil splattering on the floor as she withdraws her blades. As he falls, purple and red mist rises from our bodies and dissipates into the air around us.

I think that's it.
Okay, then. It's all over bar the shouting.

I relax slightly from my crouch, a sign Queen Marlena picks up on immediately, striding through the broken door to-.

Oh. To a… Child's nursery, now somewhat damages. The ring lights up immediately, tendrils reaching out to right the crib, mend the dresser and remove the tears from the carpet. I… Guess that this is where the kidnapping happened, then.
Ah, Orange Rings. So good at clean-up duty... Which Lantern is probably going to be on for some time after all this.

"Thank you, Teela. And who are..?"

Queen Marlena's eyes widen as she gets a clear look at Adora's face. She doesn't look the same as her father or her mother or her brother, but even beyond the hair and eyes there are features she clearly shares with them.
Heh, in the Filmation series, every human was basically furnished with either the high-cheeked female face, or the chiseled male face. :D So anything better than that is an improvement.

"You..?"

Adora for her part is trying to look at Queen Marlena, but her eyes are constantly jerking to some point of interest in the room she was taken from. Does she actually remember, or did Orko's spell actually shake something loose? Or is she just-? Unused to a room for children this different form the whelping chambers of Etheria and unused to duplicity.
No doubt remembering some very amusing or embarrassing moments from her freshly-remembered childhood...

Okay, how do I work out-?

The world glows orange as my point of view suddenly changes, and I see that Adora just lunged at the place where I was. Why-what-?
Oh, yeah, combat dodge program is still running. Good thing you didn't shut that down, huh?

Construct shield and traverse towards the queen in case-.

Adora's eyes widen! "Mother, watch out!"
And 'screech' goes the music and everyone's train of thought. :eek: Especially Teela's! She's still completely clueless about the backstory, after all.

She throws herself at me again, swords slamming rhythmically into my construct as she tries to punch her way through!

"He works for Skeletor!"
...Oh, right. That.

"What? A-ador-?" Queen Marlena looks somewhat bewildered, and I-.

She knows. She's been playing along. That wasn't a 'I distantly remember this person', that was a 'this is my mother' reaction. And while I don't think she's strong enough to put a regular sword through my shield, I don't want to find out that she can draw on the Power of Grayskull under extreme stress without her Sword of Power.
I mean, I'm sure you've got a self-healing program handy, but better to not need to run it...

"You work for Hordak."

"That was before I remembered-." Her eyes go to her mother again, before she forces herself to keep her eyes on me. "My memories started coming back. Shadow Weaver did something to my memories, but coming here-. I started to remember again. You told me that you serve Skeletor!"
Hoo-boy. Talk about a gambit pile-up.

"I told Despara, Force Captain of Hordak, that I work for Skeletor."

She pulls her swords back a little. "We have been lying to each other?"
Ah, light dawns over marble-head.

"I'm afraid that it looks like that."

"Who are you?"

"Orange Lantern. Member of the Masters of the Universe… At least, until Sir Duncan gets here."
Yeah, once he finishes kicking your ass for all this, you're going to need that self-healing program...

"Evil-Lyn?"

"Used to work for Skeletor, is currently on probation. I-I think-" I raise my right hand and point to the shocked Queen Marlena. "-that the Queen wants your att-."
Ooh, clever. Deflect her attention. :V While you flee for the hills.

Queen Marlena grabs her daughter, swords awkwardly forced out to the side. Adora appears to not know what to do. She either can't or doesn't want to move her arms to sheathe her swords. But she doesn't appear to be trying to hug back. But this is clearly a highly emotional moment for both of them so I move to step out of the ro-.

Ah, hello Teela's staff.
"I'll be having an explanation now, please."

"Now Orko's spell has stopped working, I want an-."

"Marlena?" King Randor enters the room, right hand on the hilt of his sword. "I heard-."
Ah, the king arrives. Presumably busy with logistics for the celebrations, I guess.

He stares at the sword-bearing young woman his wife is embracing.

"Who is this?"
And they still have Adam to give the run-down to, too... It's going to be a busy night.

I gently nudge Teela's staff aside as I perform a shallow bow. "Princess Adora, your majesty. Teela and I will leave you to reacquaint yourselves."

"A-?" He blinks, then his eyes widen as he takes her in. "DorA?"
And no doubt their eyes are getting a little moist...

I attach a strand of orange to Tella and then transition us out of the room.

Teela scowls. "Warn me before you do that."
Hey, at least all your bits are still where they should be... I hope.

"Sorry. And… Sorry about this whole thing. I'm pretty sure that I've made a series of sub-par decisions-."

"I'm glad that you recognise that." I clench as Sir Duncan strolls down the corridor towards us, Teela Na close at hand. "But right now I'm most concerned about Evil-Lyn."
:oops: Bussssted. Hmm... Have Teela the elder and Teela the younger met yet? There's an interesting conversation to imagine...

"I'll deal with that right away, sir, and recluse myself to the castle until tomorrow."

Sir Duncan thinks for a moment. "You should take someone with you, just in case. I know Adam doesn't have a date-"
...He's a little busy trying to work out what just happened, I suspect. And probably looking for somewhere private to power down...

Teela and I share a cringe.

"-so-." He notices our response, then looks uncertain. "Did he find a date?"
I don't know... Did the Queen ever mention 'Star Wars' to you? This is definitely a Skywalker situation...

"He was-. He was flirting with Adora without knowing who she was." Sir Duncan winces. "And I think… After a certain point, you sort of have to trust people. I don't think that.. coming back mob-handed is.. going to help her recovery."

He nods slowly. "That's taking a risk, but alright. Send a message to the Sorceress when you find out what she's been doing. And I'll expect a full debrief from you tomorrow."
While Duncan tries to calm down again. I rather suspect the nice mood he was getting into has been ruined, though...

"Thank you, sir. Excuse me."

The world shudders, and I'm in front of Castle Grayskull. Whose drawbridge is down. Okay..? I walk forward, looking around just in case-. Something triggers the moment I cross the threshold, and-.
Now, what's Evelyn been up to, I wonder...

And an instant later the Sorcerer's staff appears in front of me. Taking hold of it, I feel it as I reconnect to the Power of Grayskull, and focus to dispatch a impression of success and safety to Teela Na.

"Surprised?"
Huh. Well, I guess the Sorceress gets to finish her night off. Get back to destroying Duncan's bed, among other things... :p

Evelyn is still carrying her own staff, but makes no aggressive move towards me as the Castle finishes connecting to me.

"No. Pleased, certainly."
Very glad she isn't being all super-villain about this, huh?

"Oh? Did you bring no one with you?"

"No."
I bet she was looking forwards to some monologuing.

"I think I should be insulted. I had a speech prepared, on the subject of how foolish I would have to be to throw away this opportunity. And now I won't get to give it."

I shrug as I walk past her into the Castle.

"You can give it to me, if you like. And tell me what you've learned about the Sword of Power."
...Probably found out it's actually not called the Sword of Power.

Well, all's well that ends well. At least until morning. When the Sorceress gets back, Lantern is going to get such a dressing down. And then one from Duncan, assuming the man-at-arms can still walk in the morning. And then a long, long discussion of, among other things, how he knew what he knew about Adora... Perhaps that'll be the moral of the 'episode': Don't keep important secrets from your friends and allies... :D

No doubt remembering some very amusing or embarrassing moments from her freshly-remembered childhood...

Seeing as she was kidnapped as a baby, her memories of childhood may not be pleasant.

I don't know... Did the Queen ever mention 'Star Wars' to you? This is definitely a Skywalker situation

And Hordak can serve as Papatine.

And Skeletor as his half dead servant.

Perhaps that'll be the moral of the 'episode': Don't keep important secrets from your friends and allies... :D

A moral we know Paul will not learn.

She shudders, a mixture of blood and oil splattering on the floor as she withdraws her blades.
Should that be 'he' shudders as in the person who was stabbed, or is it correct as it's referencing that she was shuddering after she put the swords through the man's chest?

Ehhh, nationalism can easily spiral from "I want my land for myself and others like me" to "I want all the lands to be like mine, without exception".
The Fire Nation and North and South Water Tribes are seperated by an ocean. And even if she did want to, she's ruling a country that just underwent total internal collapse. She's going to have to spend the rest of her life rebuilding it before she can even think of having the logistical support required.
Should that be 'he' shudders as in the person who was stabbed, or is it correct as it's referencing that she was shuddering after she put the swords through the man's chest?
Thank you, corrected.

If we ignore the 100 year war and don't call the avatar -Aang having a higher bodycount than Ozai thanks to soloing a Fire Nation fleet- a super weapon.
I won't deny that the 100 year war was a major black mark on the Avatar's reputation but Aang was able to fix it and while I do believe that many injuries occurred when he fought the fleet, I don't recall him actually killing anyone aside from Zhao and even then he was more transported to a prison in the spirit world.
Ehhh, nationalism can easily spiral from "I want my land for myself and others like me" to "I want all the lands to be like mine, without exception".
Thank you that's exactly what I'm talking about what could have happened with Kuvira.

But I'm not going to keep arguing about this Mr Zoat since we are at a complete impasse, it's clear that neither of us can convince the other of their own opinion so let's simply agree on the fact that Kuvira was a much better leader than Wu could ever be and that she went too far. And Agree to disagree on where she went too far and the matter of the spirits.

I mean, its not like Hordak has given up his plans to conquer their world so the threat is still there.

She could willingly go back to help those who are still fighting and to make up for her actions in oppressing them.

Yeah, maybe she has a few kind of friends there? Even evil is still Adora, she must have someone.

Phew, thank goodness that Adora is actually on their side the whole time and that Evelyn seems to truly have turned over a new leaf. The fact they had completely tricked each other like that is rather funny actually, Paul did mess up but now that all the facts have been explained it's not so bad and oh is Adam going to get it for having flirted, albeit unknowingly, with his own sister.

A Tella is a type of Ork oddboy found only in the Evil Sunz clan, whose-.
Sorry, Mr Zoat made a typo there.

That should say 'Teela'.
Oh.

Thank you, corrected.
I won't deny that the 100 year war was a major black mark on the Avatar's reputation but Aang was able to fix it and while I do believe that many injuries occurred when he fought the fleet, I don't recall him actually killing anyone aside from Zhao and even then he was more transported to a prison in the spirit world.

Seriously? You don't think anyone died when a rage-filled avatar destroyed every boat in the fleet in arctic waters? Or that any who did got away from the vengeful water benders?
Phew, thank goodness that Adora is actually on their side the whole time and that Evelyn seems to truly have turned over a new leaf. The fact they had completely tricked each other like that is rather funny actually, Paul did mess up but now that all the facts have been explained it's not so bad and oh is Adam going to get it for having flirted, albeit unknowingly, with his own sister.
That's mildly embarrasing. The main issue is how it will play on his insecurities. For all the guilt Adora's going to feel, she's still a highly capable fighter and leader, something Adam hasn't proven himself to be due to needing to become He-Man whenever the going gets tough.

Last edited:

Seriously? You don't think anyone died when a rage-filled avatar destroyed every boat in the fleet in arctic waters? Or that any who did got away from the vengeful water benders?
I said I wasn't going to argue about this anymore, is it too much to ask that we agree to disagree?
That's mildly embarrasing. The main issue is how it will play on his insecurities. For all the guilt Adora's going to feel, she's still a highly capable fighter and leader, something Adam hasn't proven himself to be due to needing to become He-Man whenever the going gets tough.
True

I asked that a little earlier in the thread, and someone linked me to one of the first Orange Lantern of Eternia chapters, which explains that Paul sort of hacked a magical object and recharges from that.
That... Doesn't make a lot of sense given Zoat earlier said that recharging off of magic was a "Larfleeze Crazy" level of Orange Ring use...

That... Doesn't make a lot of sense given Zoat earlier said that recharging off of magic was a "Larfleeze Crazy" level of Orange Ring use...
Sybarite pulled it off as one of the first things he did. Maybe Mr Zoat meant absorbing magic attacks was difficult, while absorbing magic from objects that can't fight back, or magic beings who you beat into submission is easier?

Why? She was an Earth Kingdom nationalist. Not wanting non-Earth Kingdom territory is a defining characteristic.
I mean, the most famous nationalist of the last century said that "rightful German land" went up to the Urals, so your argument is kind of thin.

Would she take some time to consolidate her Empire? Sure. Would she refrain from attempting to conquer the rest of the world if Korra had failed to stop her? Ha, no. Hell, the next Avatar was going to be Earth anyway - it wouldn't take a genius of propaganda to use a semi-religious figure, raised in a carefully curated way, to support "ending the meaningless division between all people".

So... How exactly is this Paul charging his ring?
Oh! I just happened to read the post explaining that earlier today, during my archive-binge! Here it is.

He didn't just use his ring to drain magic from the Basophil Amulet, he converted it to the orange light, much like how the SI did the same to Alan's lantern.

He converted a power source to fuel his ring. That doesn't require the same level of obsession as being able to feed on active spells, magical effect, or ambient mana.

I mean, the most famous nationalist of the last century said that "rightful German land" went up to the Urals, so your argument is kind of thin.

Would she take some time to consolidate her Empire? Sure. Would she refrain from attempting to conquer the rest of the world if Korra had failed to stop her? Ha, no. Hell, the next Avatar was going to be Earth anyway - it wouldn't take a genius of propaganda to use a semi-religious figure, raised in a carefully curated way, to support "ending the meaningless division between all people".
I'm not doing a Godwin's Law discussion. Find an example that actually exists in the series that suggests that she's got plans to expand further.

The Sorceress's real name, at least in some continuties, is Teela Na.

So yeah it's a Gilmore Girls situation there.
Thanks...though I never watched Gilmore Girls do I don't know the reference.
Though I don't suppose you or somebody could explain to me what a 'Master' of the Universe actually means?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back