• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

So the Enlightened Rage Lantern is the one with the most...evolved family life? And a kid?
Yeah, okay

"Fellow citizen! Do you wish to join the League to fight for Truth, Justice and an arbitrarily idealised american way?!?!"

"Nah, just bored"

"Oh..."

Somehow enlightenment of the most extreme emotion is the most stabilizing effect on Paul. It's not like he even had a better support structure or loved ones. Others have that as well. But he is much more put together than most. In particular Paragon is still somewhat a mess.

Somehow enlightenment of the most extreme emotion is the most stabilizing effect on Paul. It's not like he even had a better support structure or loved ones. Others have that as well. But he is much more put together than most. In particular Paragon is still somewhat a mess.
I don't think Paragon is a mess. Really if I could get orange enlightenment I totally would. Just because other people are usually uncertain or conflicted doesn't mean not being so means you are a mess. If anything it means the opposite.

17th October 2009
21:22 GMT -5

Komand'r twists her head around on my chest so that she can look me in the eyes, a mildly perturbed expression on her face.

"Do you think we've..?"
Ah, Raul. Or old friend, the Enlightened Red lantern Paul, stuck in the world of the first Teen Titans cartoon (since if it had been TT-GO!, the whole would would be dead by now.) I expect his relationship with Blackfire has matured considerably since last we saw him.

She hesitates, her frown deepening.

I raise my eyebrows, arms wrapping a little tighter around her torso as we lie on the sofa. "We've..?"
Yup, matured considerably. The old Komand'r might well have preferred to be dead before being so... Domestic.

"Gotten… Boring."

"I can't say I've ever tried to live my life on the basis of how interesting it would be to read about."
And more often than not, the interesting bits of a story only tend to cover a few hours, unless it involves a long adventuring journey or a long, multi-day event. Like the first 'Avengers' movie, which outside of the pre-title bit, covers more or less twelve hours total.

I raise my gaze to look around our living room. Photographs of our wedding, our friends and our son decorate the surfaces, my skull collection having been relocated to my athenaeum. A few of Alikand'r's toys have been left on the floor were they fell, but other than that it's a fairly normal upper class living room. Nothing to suggest that it's home to a couple of galaxy-renowned bounty hunters. Is.. that what she means?

"If you don't like the decorations-?"
'Ally', eh? Wonder if he'll become a superhero named 'Edge-fire', because his parents are black and red. :p

"No, not the-." She sighs, the back of her head falling back onto my chest. "It's-. When was the last time we killed someone?"

"Two days ago."
I mean, even if the Ring isn't all that helpful, it can still keep track of things, even if asking it gets a response like being slapped in the brain.

She frowns. "Was it?"

"Toyman?" Her frown deepens. "He had those giant windup soldiers-."
I can't imagine Kal-El was too happy about that one. Sure, the original animated Toyman is an arsehole, but we are talking about the big blue boy-scout.

"Oh him." She considers the matter, and her frown deepens further. "Why didn't I remember that? It was only a couple of days ago."

"If tamaranean brains work like human brains, it's probably because it didn't stand out."
Yeah, getting to tear apart giant robots probably gets boring after a while. And the man himself would likely not have been a great physical threat.

Her brow relaxes a little. "What do you mean?"

"We've killed a lot of people, right?"
Ah, bonding over a shared love of multiple and mass homicides.

"Yeah?"

"So the first time you kill someone, that's a big deal. But after that, you're just repeating yourself. It's not a new experience so your brain doesn't encode it in the same way."
In humans, sure. Tamaraneans probably don't even make that much more effort.

"You mean…" She relaxes very slightly into my chest. "It feels like we've been doing less fighting lately, but actually..?"

I smile, sifting my calves across her thighs-.
Ah, the inelegant tangle of sharing a couch.

"No, seriously, not-. 'Fighting' each other." She tilts her head back again so that she's looking at me upside down. "It's bothering me."

I nod, then generate a construct time/kills line graph in the air in front of us. There're troughs and peaks, but the average is relatively consistent month on month.
Which is impressive. I would expect some decline, just out of people fleeing in fear of you. I guess the murdering business is good.

"Slightly fewer assassinations and slightly more mass killings, but the total hasn't actually changed much."

"So they're.. just not memorable enough."
Don't take that as a challenge to get creative with your kills, there's no points system.

"That's one way of putting it. But it's more about how new an experience is than absolute quality. Even if the fight is amazing, there isn't all that much difference between an amazing fight and a mundane one. After a while they all sort of blur together-."

"And I keep wondering where all the time went. Because it passes without me really making any new memories." She move her arms so that they're laying on mine. "Huh."
There's only so many ways you can punch an asshole's heart out through his spine, after all.

"Basically. But that's… Pretty normal. When you're young everything is new, and then as you get older you learn what sort of things you like doing and start doing that more."

"But then you're just doing the same kind of thing and not anything that's going to stick in your brain." Her faces creases. "So that's it? We either make ourselves miserable or stop being able to remember things?"
Unless those things are really noteworthy, yeah. Such is life. :rolleyes:

"Do you remember last time you read to Alikand'r?"

"Yeah, that was about.. three hours ago. I read him The Very Hungry Caterpillar." She wrinkles her nose. "Human children's books are weird."
You ain't seen the half of it, ma'am. Wait until he's old enough to get obsessed with bodily functions.

"And before that?"

"The farm book. The one with the pop-up animals. I remember-."
Ah, if only it were an edition of 'Where is my Cow?'. Can you imagine her doing all the animal noises?

She jerks up into a sitting position, pushing my legs aside as she twists around to face me.

"I though my brain was going to stop.. sabotaging me after I gave birth." Her eyes narrow and glow faintly. "Have you gotten me pregnant again? I said, one!"
I mean, unless you abstain completely or use some potent contraception... It'll probably happen.

I sit up, wrap my arms around Koriand'r's back and then fall back, pulling her face into the crook of my neck.

"No, the mood swing you had when you were pregnant is… Something I'm never going to forget, and it wasn't like this. This is actually normal. For humans, as well as tamaraneans."
Yeah, a bright, cheerful and super-happy Komand'r was... Quite an experience.

"So we're just… Normal?"

"Normal for us. Or… Stable. I mean, is there anything in our life that you don't like?"
Since compared to the average human, neither of them are within line of sight of normal.

She opens her mouth to reply, then closes it again, thinking deeply.

"All your enemies in Vega are dead. Tamaran is rebuilding. Your other enemies are dead or cowed into compliance. You have me and Alikand'r. Did we miss anyone you hate?"
Good to hear that second one. I expect both princesses are still tooling around Earth, though? I can't see Koriand'r ditching the Titans.

"I don't think so. Unless I got so used to hating that I forgot someone."

"Okay then. What is it that you don't have that you still want?"
After all, getting it shouldn't be too hard.

"It's not about being in a good place objectively. Right? I-." She lifts her head up to do a quick check of the room. "I love you and Alikand'r. And I want to make sure that he has the childhood I didn't get."

"I want him to have the childhood you didn't get too."
Yeah, that's not a fate you'd wish on anyone.

She inhales deeply, then exhales sharply.

"Okay. I want to do more fighting, but fighting I'll actually remember. Different fighting. Does Earth have fighting tournaments?"
...I'm sure there's a super-powered promotion or two floating around. Whether they're legal, that's another question...

"So many fighting tournaments. But most of them don't let aliens or people with superpowers take part."

"Underground fighting tournaments?"
Good luck finding one willing to work with you.

"They'd be more likely to run away than fight us. We've got a bit of a reputation."

"Then-. Where are we supposed to get memorable fights?"
...That depends on if you're willing to revise your preferred level of lethality

19th October 2009
09:02 GMT -5

"So, um."
Heh, someone feeling a little intimidated?

On the opposite sofa, Blue Beetle looks like he's really regretting offering to do these interviews. Next to me, Koriand'r smiles and gives my hand a light squeeze. This should deal with her problem nicely.

"What do you think you'd bring to the Justice League?"
Watch out, giant robots! the Black and Red are coming for you! :p

Heh. That was amusing. That contrast of domestic bliss and a natural-born killer's boredom. Let's just hope Komand'r can tone down her level of violence for the more restrained members of the Justice League Unlimited of America. She'll probably get along swimmingly with warriors like Hawkwoman and Wonder Woman, though. Especially if she brings Ally to team meetings... :p

I smile, sifting my calves across her thighs-.
I smile, shifting my calves across her thighs-.

Last edited:
I don't think Paragon is a mess. Really if I could get orange enlightenment I totally would. Just because other people are usually uncertain or conflicted doesn't mean not being so means you are a mess. If anything it means the opposite.
I would argue otherwise. The following isn't meant to be harsh or mean or anything, but there are a number of traits which directly point to OL being rather psychologically unhealthy.

He's obsessive, single-minded, and deeply unwilling to consider compromise or alternative solutions. More than once characters have had to warn Paul off from doing something deeply stupid because his first thought is to remove the problem, by force if necessary.

His unswerving obsession with the concept of the Uplift developed to the extent it seems to have taken over most of his life. He constantly bounces around from one project to the next, has tremendous control freak tendencies and/or extreme difficulty accepting handing tasks off to others to the extent vacations make him uncomfortable, reoccurring discomfort with the idea of disorder, and so on and so on.

His thought patterns are closer to some type of abnormality rather than something one would consider well balanced or completely healthy. It's frantic and carries a vibe of background anxiety and discomfort whenever the idea of disorder is brought up.

And from we've seen, the dude is almost pathologically unable to not be "on" and do simple things like have a vacation without work from what I remember.

Which don't get me wrong, I think makes sense given the sheer fact that Orange is one of the least stable colors, and he only has "enlightenment" in one sense in one single area of the human emotional experience.

If you get beyond the awwww, cute domestic life bits, even Red Lantern is a deeply unhealthy individual who considers murder such a casual thing that one can argue he has some degree of anti-social traits.

"I though my brain was going to stop.. sabotaging me after I gave birth." Her eyes narrow and glow faintly. "Have you gotten me pregnant again? I said, one!"
That should say 'thought'.

"So, um."

On the opposite sofa, Blue Beetle looks like he's really regretting offering to do these interviews. Next to me, Komand'r smiles and gives my hand a light squeeze. This should deal with her problem nicely.

I bet no one was expecting either of these two to consider joining the Justice League. I wonder how heated the debate on whether or not to admit them will be?

Heh. That was amusing. That contrast of domestic bliss and a natural-born killer's boredom. Let's just hope Komand'r can tone down her level of violence for the more restrained members of Justice League Unlimited. She'll probably get along swimmingly with warriors like Hawkwoman and Wonder Woman, though. Especially if she brings Ally to team meetings... :p
You're thinking of the wrong version of Paul. Raul is in the Teen Titans universe. The one who ended up in the JLU universe is Peter Wynne.

If only we would skip the boring amazon legal battle subplot to follow the Teens Titans universe league getting these two murder hobos to apply for membership and the likely catastrophe that is going to be trigger to have the league not outright reject them.

In the teen titans universe the Titans made their league equivalent first and then the adults decided to do the same, so the minefield of interactions and problems that could be about to happen are absolutely great.

If I remember well Raúl already dealt with the Trigon shit didn't he?

They wouldn't pass.

Batman would vote no cause they are mass killers.

Same for Superman.

Same for any of the GLs.

Flash, most of them, tends to be big on redemption but would vote no as is not like they have really changed.

Wonder Woman may vote yes cause warrior culture.

To sum up, most of the Seven would vote no save perhaps Aquaman and Wonder Woman so no way in Hell they are getting in the League not unless this somehow became the Injustice Universe instead of Teen Titans.

Even on a trial basis they are mass murderers.

So yeah, may need to Jump Universes to Join the League.

They'll probably shorten it to 'Alec' most of the time.
Wonder if he'll become a superhero named 'Edge-fire', because his parents are black and red. :p
No, he'll grow up knowing them as superheroes and have no idea why everyone's terrified of them whenever they leave Earth.
I can't imagine Kal-El was too happy about that one. Sure, the original animated Toyman is an arsehole, but we are talking about the big blue boy-scout.
The Lex Luthor: Man of Steel version of Toyman was a paedophile.
I smile, shifting my calves across her thighs-.
Thank you, corrected.

That should say 'thought'.
Thank you, corrected.
They wouldn't pass.

Same for Superman.

Same for any of the GLs.

Flash, most of them, tends to be big on redemption but would vote no as is not like they have really changed.

To sum up, most of the Seven would vote no save perhaps Aquaman and Wonder Woman so no way in Hell they are getting in the League not unless this somehow became the Injustice Universe instead of Teen Titans.

"So what I'm hearing is, you're fine with us continuing to operate on our own recognisance."

"So what I'm hearing is, you're fine with us continuing to operate on our own recognisance

Dude they didn't let Lobo join.

Well I think Kid Lobo was a member of Comic Teen Titans as some point but Teen Titans is insane.

Also of the main League only Batman won't kill for sure (unless is Darkseid). Wonder Woman, Superman and some of the Flashes will kill if needed.

Also a rage ring and Super Tamarean powers would have a hard time dealing with Superman, much less the main League members together.

What they are doing is like if the Joker walked to the League and asked to join. Heck at this point they basically have killed more people that the local Joker!

Reading about Red Lantern is really fun. The guy has literally murdered his way to happiness. Most badass anti-hero known to Earth and beyond, and the guy lives in a nice manor, with his wife and son.

That kid is gonna grow to be the most chill, mild-mannered but super dangerous individual with those two as parents, I can already imagine.

I thought my brain was going to stop.. sabotaging me after I gave birth." Her eyes narrow and glow faintly. "Have you gotten me pregnant again? I said, one!"

I sit up, wrap my arms around Koriand'r's back and then fall back, pulling her face into the crook of my neck.

"No, the mood swing you had when you were pregnant is… Something I'm never going to forget, and it wasn't like this. This is actually normal. For humans, as well as tamaraneans."
I feel like they should have at least two more...

For science's sake...

Well I think Kid Lobo was a member of Comic Teen Titans as some point but Teen Titans is insane.

Also of the main League only Batman won't kill for sure (unless is Darkseid). Wonder Woman, Superman and some of the Flashes will kill if needed.

Also a rage ring and Super Tamarean powers would have a hard time dealing with Superman, much less the main League members together.

What they are doing is like if the Joker walked to the League and asked to join. Heck at this point they basically have killed more people that the local Joker!

The league in the teens titans verse isn't the same as the standard one we usually get.

For one they came after the teen titans went global and after Trigon turned most people to stone and killed millions. The league becomes the league because the adults got owned and got shown up by the kids... Well in this case both Raúl and Black Fire were there killing Trigon and his demons, so that will probably increase their chances of getting in and we don't exactly know what is the league membership like or their recruitment standards, I doubt they need an unanimous result, a majority will be enough.

Makes sense. The extreme emotions are the destabilizing ones. Once you are enlightened in them they stop being so. It reflects mastery over the emotion rather than being overpowered by it.

The league in the teens titans verse isn't the same as the standard one we usually get.

For one they came after the teen titans went global and after Trigon turned most people to stone and killed millions. The league becomes the league because the adults got owned and got shown up by the kids... Well in this case both Raúl and Black Fire were there killing Trigon and his demons, so that will probably increase their chances of getting in and we don't exactly know what is the league membership like or their recruitment standards, I doubt they need an unanimous result, a majority will be enough.

A TTG comic had a picture so I presume the Teen Titans League lineup is basically the same.

Seems a bit influenced by the JL cartoon- Bats, Supes, WW, MM, Stewart, Hawkwoman, Flash, Aquaman, Black Canary, Captain Atom, Atom, Zatanna, Supergirl, and Mary Marvel.

So between Aquaman with his hook hand and Hawkwoman with her Nth metal spiked mace, and I'm not sure how concerned they are about fatalities. It's not like hard metal sharp points are known for stun settings.

I do suspect they'd want them to dial it back to a dull roar though, so I imagine it would depend on how much Red and his wife are willing to not act like they are in a live action Mortal Kombat game.

Worse comes to worse they can form their own team.

Makes sense. The extreme emotions are the destabilizing ones. Once you are enlightened in them they stop being so. It reflects mastery over the emotion rather than being overpowered by it.
All evidence points to Enlightenment not actually stopping the destabilization.

Case in point, everything listed about LePaul by AR760.

Been a while since we saw this Paul, I'm very glad we get to see his married life with Blackfire and that we learn their son's name, but what would Alikand'r's name be in english? As for their decision to join the Justice League, poor Blue Beetle really is regretting giving this interview. Any new alternate Pauls on the way by any chance?

They wouldn't pass.

Same for Superman.

Same for any of the GLs.

The League may not be okay with their methods but it's possible that they'd let them join because that way they can keep a closer eye on them and potentially have them change their methods to be less violent.

Lobo is Lobo, so he's just a whole bag of issues.

I'm assuming it's Ted Kord Blue Beetle, making him in the room with two people who could rip his head off pretty easily.

"So what would you bring to the Justice League?"

"The skulls of your enemies to add to our collection, and the ability for everyone's children to grow up as safe and sound as our own son."

Ted looks over at the Red Lantern. "Is that-?"

"We have a great deal of experience fighting high level threats, like Trigon. We have shown that we can be team players, and given that we live on Earth we would rather do our part to make sure everything isn't upended by some asshole with powers to match their delusions."

"I... will put those comments in. Thank you for your time, but they will have to go for review."

"Of course. While we wait, we can easily get started on taking down League enemies to show our prowess."

"That- that won't be necessary."

And if we are giving suggestions, I do feel the Miraculous Ladybug universe and Paul would be hilarious.

Any chances for an alternate Paul in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Magic The Gathering? Also I know you said that you wouldn't do a Paul in Star Wars because you refuse to use the new Disney Canon and you can't remember much of the Legends Timeline, but are there any other reasons you wouldn't do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back