• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Actually in Smallville Clark got his powers as a teen and they took years to grow. Early seasons are okay, problem is as the show gor popular they forced the show to keep going going and going...
Pretty sure they got obvious during puberty actually, and they were definitely there by the time high school started, so the thing about him being a 'cheater' would have had some credibility.

Action comics 711.

Conduit wanted revenge on Clark because he did better at high school sports than him, and Conduit blamed him for "cheating with Kryptonian powers" so it was Clark's "fault" that Kenny's father was never proud of him.

When he confronted Clark about it, Clark's response was "But my powers didn't even develop until my late teens. All I had were will and determination."

So we can believe the big blue boy scout that it was in fact impossible for him to cheat at high school sports because he didn't have powers when he played high school sports, or believe the the maniac who built a robot Smallville complete with a robot Lois to be his girlfriend and a stadium of robot dads so his father would finally be proud of him, which requires believing that not only was Superman a cheater, but such an asshole he'd rather lie than just apologize for cheating when called on it.

Of course, DC being DC, they then have Chris showing up and having powers as a toddler, because consistency is for people who aren't paid in drugs and booze.
No... I meant the thing about pregnancies...

No... I meant the thing about pregnancies...

You forget about Oh El talking with the Silvanas about the pregnancy of super babies so he is not just basing things on a comic book he read once.

And you missed this:

There is a timeline, Armageddon 2001, in which Lois was killed with the baby's first kick. In despair Clark left Earth and it looked like Maxima was going to get to add Kryptonian powers to the royal bloodline like she always wanted.

Actually in Smallville Clark got his powers as a teen and they took years to grow. Early seasons are okay, problem is as the show gor popular they forced the show to keep going going and going...

Actually in Smallville he always had some superstrength and resistance to injury, but they grew with time.

Martha first noticed his freakish strength the first day they brought him home. As a kid he broke the kitchen table in half, put holes in walls, and lifted a 500 lb bed.

High school football was the first sport he ever played because the Kents were too afraid of him accidentally hurting one of his peers.

Probably contributed to Smallville Clark having that cool loser thing going on- smart, nice, tall, but generally keeps his distance.

Which is why I like the "powerless Clark as a kid" really- Clark in his heart of hearts, is supposed to see himself as just Clark from Smallville, a man of the people, even when he has the power to rip a god in half. I find that hardly believable when Clark was alienated by his godlike powers, an outsider looking in, hiding behind secrets, since the time he was in diapers.

There were references made to Clark being powerless as a kid when he went through that whole "electric blue" phase.

For those that don't remember that stint of his history. Back in the 90's they had a run where his normal powerset was swapped out for something completely different. He could switch from 'clark kent' mode to an energy being that required a containment suit (similar to someone like Captain Atom).

In this form he had electromagnetic powers allowing for flight and object levitation via electromagnetic repulsion and attraction, as well energy projection and transformation powers. He also had similarly enhanced senses, 'hearing' radio waves and such.

When he wasn't looking like a very muscular version of the blue man group, he was regular old clark, and he made repeated mention of things like bug bites, cuts while shaving, or landing on his butt when skating actually hurting like it did when he was a child.

Actually in Smallville he always had some superstrength and resistance to injury, but they grew with time.

Martha first noticed his freakish strength the first day they brought him home. As a kid he broke the kitchen table in half, put holes in walls, and lifted a 500 lb bed.

High school football was the first sport he ever played because the Kents were too afraid of him accidentally hurting one of his peers.

Probably contributed to Smallville Clark having that cool loser thing going on- smart, nice, tall, but generally keeps his distance.

Which is why I like the "powerless Clark as a kid" really- Clark in his heart of hearts, is supposed to see himself as just Clark from Smallville, a man of the people, even when he has the power to rip a god in half. I find that hardly believable when Clark was alienated by his godlike powers, an outsider looking in, hiding behind secrets, since the time he was in diapers.
I like the idea of Clark feeling a bit like an outsider since he was a kid, but his powers, in my head, came in fits and spurts IE everything after this is headcanon. He was always unusually strong, fast, and tough relative to his age,and needles broke against his skin early on (the Kents got a vaccine exemption), but he couldn't shrug off bullets (in theory, not like anyone was shooting him) until he was about 7, the super senses hit in puberty, Heat Vision came after high school, which was when he finally asked his parents some questions, and flight came last, about a year after he starting Superman-ing (before that, he could just leap). I tend to think he's still getting stronger as his body soaks up more sunlight. When they first sparred, Wondy broke his nose. Now, she can't break his skin anymore. He has no idea how strong he'll get, and he's kinda concerned about it.

I just read the two books named and didn't find what he listed...

Armageddon 2001 was a crossover event, it had far more than two books. Every single annual that year was Waverider touching a hero to see if they were going to turn into Monarch and conquer the future.

Like Adventures of Superman Annual 3.

Uncomplicated Good Works (part 15)
18th December 2012
22:44 GMT

"Strand Elder, please don't do this."

The face on the main screen moves its mandibles in an insulting configuration.

I wait patiently for him to stop.

"Rarkhakahh is the most heavily fortified world in this region! We are armoured, shielded and our weapon systems are second to none! We are ready to fight anyone, including Lanterns!" He leans closer to his camera. "And we have meat animals close at hand. Do your worst."

The camera pulls back, and-.

And he pulls a clearly terrified Karaxian child into view and

I step out, already

prepared to fire, my energy pulse striking the Strand Elder in the back of his head as my construct shield envelops the nearby-. Prisoners. The heavy combat robots lock on and open fire before the Strand Elder's body hits the ground, plasma pulses howling through the air!

I form railguns as the other Spiders in the room blacken and burn from the heat the plasma weapons are giving off. Scan shows basic shields and heavy armour, counter with crumbler rounds, fabricate crumbler rounds because the interdiction system is still active, fire!

Shields flicker and die, chunks of armour vanish as the robots stagger back, trying to right themselves and maintain fire even while I tear them apart. A moment later I feel a brief disorientation as some sort of mind affect device activates, but it's nothing like enough to make my constructs drop.

And then the robots are dead. A cold gun construct turns the air around us back to a more normal temperature, then I check on the Spiders. One heavily cooked survivor. He'll die in a few minutes if I take no action.

I glance back, and the communications system is still in one piece as it was contained inside my shield bubble.

"One survivor, Superman. I could heal him. Thoughts?"

"Is the kid okay?"

I look down to where the child is curled up on the floor hugging his legs to his chest.

"Horribly traumatised and drugged, but I think he'll eventually make a full recovery."

"How would you-?"

I drop my shield, energy pulse the surviving Spider in the head and connect directly to the command centre's computers. Looks like the consoles are shielded against construct intrusion, but with much of the equipment in the rest of the room melted I can get into the system that way. Ah, good design, communications but not control.

"I'd kill them all. If you're quick, I think you're fast enough to get to the surface before they kill all the hostages. Everyone else gogogo!"

This room has three exits. One goes to an emergency bunker, another to the emergency escape craft and the third back into the subterranean command facility. A transmutation ray seals the second, while a command to the computer system opens the first.

The boy who nearly got eaten is still out of it but the others look a little more coherent.

"Everyone! Into the bunker, please! I need you to be safe while I free the others!"

I shove the robot wrecks out of the way while the more focused prisoners herd the rest through the door and down the ladder.

"Don't open the door, I'll teleport in when it's clear."

A couple of bent left fist affirmative gestures from the Karaxians, then they're the other side of the outer door and I slam it shut.

Right.

Ring, open communications with Superman.

Compliance.

And crumbler-ram.

The door to the rest of the facility vanishes, as do the robots lining up on the far side. No actual Spider Guilders; that isn't how they fight.

Ring, broadcast.

Compliance.

"I am the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, broadcasting from your command centre to all Spider Guilders on Rarkhakahh. You are in defiance of the surrender agreement struck with your ruling council. Stand down at once. There will be no further warnings."

I feel a vague sense of pressure as Lantern Toren shields the allied fleet as it moves into bombardment position, and I see the walls shake around me as Kal-El hits the ground at full speed. Right, nearest concentration of non-Guilders is that way.

I could make a crumbler-borer construct and dig through the rock, but that would be entirely too slow. I can already see lights going out, though I'm not sure who they belong to. These Spiders don't appear to have any way to disrupt my exotic abilities, so

I step out,

blade constructs already cutting into the assembled robots, and-.

I gulp as I see a Spider crush a slave's head in its mandibles, just as its leader had planned to do. The energy pulse follows a half-second later.

"EVERYONE-"

Railguns form and robots begin to disintegrate.

"-ON THE GROUND!"

A shield over the surviving prisoners next, turning into a bunker construct a moment later. The Spider technicians are fleeing for the exit, so I send a brief volley their way as well.

And my targets are all gone.

None of the prisoners look like they're wounded. A few are missing body parts, but the flesh beneath has been sealed. Old wounds, to make them more afraid when the time comes to eat the rest. The local civilisations have the technology to regrow the flesh or replace it with cybernetics. There's nothing else I need to attend to immediately.

"Stay here, rescue is on the way."

Seal the doors, sight the next prisoner compartment

and

fire at-.

Too late. Mark these Spiders for later execution

and move to the

next-.

"We surrender! We surrender!"

Robots passive, Spiders on the floor.

Fine.

Crumbler rams hit the robots through their central processors while I fabricate restraints, binding their arms and legs.

And if the prisoners decide not to respect their surrender, it's hardly ideal, but I'll live with it.

Next.

Last edited:
That was an excellent showing of Paul demonstrating why sometimes, somewhat ironically, the day can't be saved by a paragon of justice, but by someone who has the power to do something and the willingness to do it quickly, efficiently, and if necessary, without hesitation.

That was an excellent showing of Paul demonstrating why sometimes, somewhat ironically, the day can't be saved by a paragon of justice, but by someone who has the power to do something and the willingness to do it quickly, efficiently, and if necessary, without hesitation.

Manchester Black almost had a good point in What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?. Problem is that Super Powered Black ops teams shouldn't operate independently or out in the open.

Fine.

Crumbler rams hit the robots through their central processors while I fabricate restraints, binding their arms and legs.
Spider Guilders that aren't a complete mix of Evil and Stupid. How novel.

Spider Guilders that aren't a complete mix of Evil and Stupid. How novel.
Well they are a mix of those things, but they are also all individuals so the mix is very different with each one.

The Citadel were all clones and the Psions were heavily and purposely indoctrinated from birth. But for the Spider Guild it seems more to be a culture thing and culture can change.

With how absurdly powerful we routinely see Superman being, it makes me really curious what's going on with that Kryptonian OL recruited to be a lantern. The one that had a prophecy around him.

Imagine what he'll be capable of once he gets up to a basic level of power ring proficiency.

With how absurdly powerful we routinely see Superman being, it makes me really curious what's going on with that Kryptonian OL recruited to be a lantern. The one that had a prophecy around him.

Imagine what he'll be capable of once he gets up to a basic level of power ring proficiency.
Depending on how compatible he is with the orange light, I can easily see Sodam Yat making Honor Guard. In one story, he became the last Guardian of the Universe.

This seems like a clear example of how useful construct lanterns could be, or at least coherent ones. If only there was an ethical way to make them. Most of the examples I've thought of involve going to afterlife realms in search of volunteers, but those could have knock-on effects like with the demons.

18th December 2012
22:44 GMT

"Strand Elder, please don't do this."

The face on the main screen moves its mandibles in an insulting configuration.
Ah, moving onto another colony, I see? Not like Chughraghahh was the only Spider Guild planet in the sector. Merely the closest. And it seems their leadership is being stupidly overconfident in the face of overwhelming firepower...

I wait patiently for him to stop.

"Rarkhakahh is the most heavily fortified world in this region! We are armoured, shielded and our weapon systems are second to none! We are ready to fight anyone, including Lanterns!" He leans closer to his camera. "And we have meat animals close at hand. Do your worst."
Well, then. I'd say that's a pretty clear 'no', then. Along with a side of 'fuck you, mammal!' for good measure.

The camera pulls back, and-.

And he pulls a clearly terrified Karaxian child into view and
Time to do your best Kenshiro, OL. "Omae wa..."

I step out, already

prepared to fire, my energy pulse striking the Strand Elder in the back of his head as my construct shield envelops the nearby-. Prisoners. The heavy combat robots lock on and open fire before the Strand Elder's body hits the ground, plasma pulses howling through the air!
"...Mou shinderu." And using heavy plasma weapons in the presence of 'people' they'd at least prefer to not die instantly in a firefight? Talk about excessive.

I form railguns as the other Spiders in the room blacken and burn from the heat the plasma weapons are giving off. Scan shows basic shields and heavy armour, counter with crumbler rounds, fabricate crumbler rounds because the interdiction system is still active, fire!

Shields flicker and die, chunks of armour vanish as the robots stagger back, trying to right themselves and maintain fire even while I tear them apart. I moment later as feel a momentary disorientation as some sort of mind affect device activates, but it's nothing like enough to make my constructs drop.
Well, they weren't kidding about being prepared for Lanterns... Too bad they weren't prepared for him.

And then the robots are dead. A cold gun construct turns the air around us back to a more normal temperature, then I check on the Spiders. One heavily cooked survivor. He'll die in a few minutes if I take no action.

I glance back, and the communications system is still in one piece as it was contained inside my shield bubble.
Hard to tell the rest to surrender without the right radio codes, after all.

"One survivor, Superman. I could heal him. Thoughts?"

"Is the kid okay?"
And of course Clark's first thought is for the hostages. Good man.

I look down to where the child is curled up on the floor hugging his legs to is chest.

"Horribly traumatised and drugged, but I think he'll eventually make a full recovery."
Bet he'll be having nightmares about this situation for years to come... On the upside, he got saved by a Lantern, that'll help him get better.

"How would you-?"

I drop my shield, energy pulse the surviving Spider in the head and connect directly to the command centre's computers. Looks like the consoles are shielded against construct intrusion, but with much of the equipment in the rest of the room melted I can get into the system that way. Ah, good design, communications but not control.
Very sensible. Presumably the Strand Elder isn't the actual military leader, so he's limited to giving general orders like 'Kill the invaders!' or the like...

"I'd kill them all. If you're quick, I think you're fast enough to get to the surface before they kill all the hostages. Everyone else gogogo!"

This room has three exits. One goes to an emergency bunker, another to the emergency escape craft and the third back into the subterranean command facility. A transmutation ray seals the second, while a command to the computer system opens the first.
And you'll be dealign with the third exit yourself, I take it.

The boy who nearly got eaten is still out of it but the others look a little more coherent.

"Everyone! Into the bunker, please! I need you to be safe while I free the others!"
Kid's probably also in need of a change of pants, I suspect. Assuming they allowed him any.

I shove the robot wrecks out of the way while the more focused prisoners herd the rest through the door and down the ladder.

"Don't open the door, I'll teleport in when it's clear."
And since they saw him teleport into the room and assplode the boss' head, I don't think they'll doubt him.

A couple of bent left fist affirmative gestures from the Karaxians, then they're the other side of the outer door and I slam it shut.

Right.
...And I can't help but imagine them giving him the 'fight the power' salute. :D Better than the Spaceball Salute.

Ring, open communications with Superman.

Compliance.
Opens comms, but says nothing. He wants Clark to listen in to this next bit, then?

And crumbler-ram.

The door to the rest of the facility vanishes, as do the robots lining up on the far side. No actual Spider Guilders; that isn't how they fight.
After all, why risk yourself when you have hundreds of thousands of disposable drones to do the hard work?

Ring, broadcast.

Compliance.

"I am the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps, broadcasting from your command centre to all Spider Guilders on Rarkhakahh. You are in defiance of the surrender agreement struck with your ruling council. Stand down at once. There will be no further warnings."
Ah, that's what he wanted Clark to hear: Him giving them one chance to not die.

I feel a vague sense of pressure as Lantern Toren shields the allied fleet as it moves into bombardment position, and I see the walls shake around me as Kal-El hits the ground at full speed. Right, nearest concentration of non-Guilders is that way.

I could maker a crumbler-borer construct and dig through the rock, but that would be entirely too slow. I can already see lights going out, though I'm not sure who they belong to. These Spiders don't appear to have any way to disrupt my exotic abilities, so
And when a Kryptonian makes a landing like that, everyone else knows it... And are probably finding him not so vulnerable to plasma fire...

I step out,

blade constructs already cutting into the assembled robots, and-.
Ah, the shock and awe method. Best way to make your opponents reconsider their life choices.

I gulp as I see a Spider crush a slave's head in its mandibles, just as its leader had planned to do. The energy pulse follows a half-second later.

"EVERYONE-"
"Anyone else got something to say?" At least you avenged their victim.

Railguns form and robots begin to disintegrate.

"-ON THE GROUND!"
As if they'll be smart enough to listen...

A shield over the surviving prisoners next, turning into a bunker construct a moment later. The Spider technicians are fleeing for the exit, so I send a brief volley there way as well.

And my targets are all gone.
Gee, and here I thought the smart guys would be smart. High intelligence... Low Wisdom. :p

None of the prisoners look like they're wounded. A few are missing body parts, but the flesh beneath has been sealed. Old wounds, to make them more afraid when the time comes to eat the rest. The local civilisations have the technology to regrow the flesh or replace it with cybernetics. There's nothing else I need to attend to immediately.

"Stay here, rescue is on the way."
And no doubt the Karaxians amongst them are experiencing a minor euphoric moment as they realised they were saved by a Lantern...

Seal the doors, sight the next prisoner compartment

and

fire at-.
No hesitation this time, huh? It's likely that the rest of the hostages are likely to be sacrificed by now...

Too late. Mark these Spiders for later execution

and move to the

next-.
...Those who aren't already dead, anyway.

Well, some actually smart bad guys. Amazing!

Fine.

To quote Iron Man during his assault on Gulmira: "He's all your's."

And if the prisoners decide not to respect their surrender, it's hardly ideal, but I'll live with it.

Next.
...Heh. I do wonder how many of said Spiders will still be in one piece when they get to that room. I can just picture the grins on the prisoner's faces...

Yeah, OL can move damn fast when he needs to. But the Flash, he is not. I suspect the 'too late' result is going to be the more common outcome than the 'we surrender!'... But at least he can rescue some of their victims, and avenge those he can't. At this point, those getting busted up by Superman are probably going to be the lucky ones, because he isn't likely to go straight to lethal force...

I moment later as feel a momentary disorientation...
Something got mangled here...
I look down to where the child is curled up on the floor hugging his legs to is chest.
I look down to where the child is curled up on the floor hugging his legs to his chest.

Manchester Black almost had a good point in What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?. Problem is that Super Powered Black ops teams shouldn't operate independently or out in the open.

So, I've only seen bits of the movie and skimmed the comic, but Manchester's argument is kinda........

In the movie, Manchester kills Atomic Skull after he's beaten and captured. In the comics more or less the same deal, just with some aliens and him ordering Hat to "Tell the Streets to swallow them and then rain acid on their families." which Superman stops.

It's like, my dude what do you want? Superman took down the guys causing problems and either handed them over to the proper authorities or was trying to. If you've got a problem with how they're handled in the aftermath, take it up with the guys who are supposed to be keeping them in prison or whatever, not the guy stopping the villains.

Last I checked, Superman wasn't judge, jury, and executioner.

Also the narrative protection of an author.

Because realistically? The instant LePaul's teleported in and killed the leader, every slave in that places head should have exploded due to a dead man switch going off.

So, I've only seen bits of the movie and skimmed the comic, but Manchester's argument is kinda........
In the movie, Manchester kills Atomic Skull after he's beaten and captured. In the comics more or less the same deal, just with some aliens and him ordering Hat to "Tell the Streets to swallow them and then rain acid on their families." which Superman stops.
It's like, my dude what do you want? Superman took down the guys causing problems and either handed them over to the proper authorities or was trying to. If you've got a problem with how they're handled in the aftermath, take it up with the guys who are supposed to be keeping them in prison or whatever, not the guy stopping the villains.
Last I checked, Superman wasn't judge, jury, and executioner.

His main argument was that Superheroes should kill villains like the Joker, Sinestro, Kaiju and random alien invaders because otherwise they tend to keep coming back to kill more people in large numbers. The biggest problem with that is he and his team did not give a crap about collateral damage as well as how they utterly reveled what edgy badasses they were. But their biggest problem was assuming that Superman was weak and that they could simply push him around while being xenophobic blood thirsty edge lords.
So he almost had a point about the "need" for a group of killer Anti-heroes that end "problems" that cause massive amounts of death/destruction. But he totally undermined with how he did it and thinking that made him so much better than more traditional Superheroes.
Also, Superman can't be judge, jury, and executioner as first of all he is a symbol of hope/pure good. Second he is way to powerful, if he were to go that route who could stop him?

Last edited:
I moment later as feel a momentary disorientation as some sort of mind affect device activates
'A moment later I feel'
'mind-affecting'
The Spider technicians are fleeing for the exit, so I send a brief volley there way as well.
'their way'
This seems like a clear example of how useful construct lanterns could be, or at least coherent ones. If only there was an ethical way to make them. Most of the examples I've thought of involve going to afterlife realms in search of volunteers, but those could have knock-on effects like with the demons.
I think there is an easy and ethical way. From what I remember of the mechanics of it, assimilation isn't any worse than death (except maybe if the Lantern wants it to be, but Paragon wouldn't) and therefore if he is ever going to kill someone, he can just assimilate instead, circumstances permitting. Often it won't be feasible, but he kills enough people that I think he should get a fair few constructs. That said, he still has several Construct-Lanterns in his ring - that saremite (sp?) fish man, the hellwraith (unless it died and I forgot about it) and a bunch of Reach thralls - and he didn't use any of them in this situation.

That said, he still has several Construct-Lanterns in his ring - that saremite (sp?) fish man, the hellwraith (unless it died and I forgot about it) and a bunch of Reach thralls - and he didn't use any of them in this situation.
Paul has the saremite and the Reach thralls, but the hellwraith was destroyed permanently by Demon Nabu, who himself is housesitting the Tower of Fate if Paul's thoughts about leaving him there until someone more suitable shows up went through.

Paul has the saremite and the Reach thralls, but the hellwraith was destroyed permanently by Demon Nabu, who himself is housesitting the Tower of Fate if Paul's thoughts about leaving him there until someone more suitable shows up went through.
Ah right, I had a feeling it might have died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back