1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOO

That's hilarious.

2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

commend -> comment

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Eventually, grudgingly, because they needed cash.
    Thank you, corrected.

4. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Or if they're a Klingon. Klingon atheism believes in simplifying the situation.

5. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Roman may not have had "knights" pursuant to the code of chivalry, but they did have an Equestrian class as a social rung below the ruling class but above the ordinary peasantry that could be considered analogous to knights in a lot of ways and serving somewhat similar social/military functions.

Not enough of an expert the really dig into the distinctions between Equites and Knights, though.

6. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Zoat, random crossover question. Were you aware of Worm and Naruto (not necessarily reading or watching them) before you started writing this?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

I... Don't think so, but you're going back a while there. I know I first heard of Worm on SpaceBattles, but I couldn't tell you if it was before or after I started writing this. I first heard of Naruto on a versus site where the main characters were determined to lose to the Teen Titans, but there wasn't any actual content describing them. I still don't know... Much about the setting other than that one of the characters isn't David Bowie.

8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Perfect, thanks.

9. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

More of the God of Avarice, interesting. I'm curious how the gods managed to trap him in such a state and is he the only one?
    Did someone like Jade accompany him and wound up in a similar position? Maybe an assassin goddess who needs to fend off Hardy's advances?
    Whatever the case, I would not at all be surprised if Paul is plotting for a way to free himself from his enforced godhood and that would surely be the worst nightmare of the gods.

Celtic Spartan, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  10. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Equestrians (and most of the other Republican classes) were defined by their wealth, not their training; they weren't a military class like knights. You were an equestrian if you could afford to outfit yourself with a horse and barding, in addition to your personal arms and armor. If you couldn't afford that, but could afford a legionary's personal arms and armor, you were in a lower class with equal amounts of military responsibility.

Knights were first and foremost a warrior social class, an inherited status as military force. Chivalry mostly comes later as they lose military relevance.

11. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

For "prince", you could use 宮 ("miya") but 親王 ("shinnou") carrying a more specific meaning of "royal lineage" could also work.

平民 ("heimin") is pretty good equivalent to "plebeian", referring to the lowest class of Japanese citizen in the Meiji era.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If I remember right Mr Zoat said it's a natural function of the universe and Paul got caught because he was considered close enough for the effect to hit.

Celtic Spartan and Duke Long like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Gateway (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

21st August 2015
    11:05 Japan Time

"…unprovoked attack on innocent Japanese citizens?!"

Without prompting I relay my impression that the outrage and anger is purely performative. Interesting that my empathic awareness continues to work in this form. Prince Diabo makes a show of disinterest, but I can feel the effort he's making to continue appearing so outwardly calm.

"It was because we wished to invade your country and either conquer it outright or acquire enough slaves and other valuables to return a profit."

A few, a very few, expressions of surprise. A couple of journalists who seem to be genuinely horrified, but for the most part there are only so many ways you can shade something like that.

"And how can you justify that?"

Diabo shrugs. "I don't. The decision was made by the Senate and my Imperial father."

"I don't mean the decision. I mean the morality of invading another country to take from them?"

"How did men of your grandfather's generation justify lining up Chinese prisoners and then racing to see who could decapitate a hundred the fastest?"

A couple of intakes of breath, but I suspect that it's because they didn't expect him to know about that rather than shock about being called out on it. It's a little… Historical anomaly, the divergent ways that Germany and Japan were treated after World War Two. Germans who were involved even tangentially in their atrocities were still pursued seventy years later, whereas for Japan they barely bothered and the Prime Minister annually visits a shrine to commemorate them.

"Japan's history is not at issue here!"

"It is if you wish to accuse the Sanderan Empire of being evil. When in fact your great grandparents would have found what we did perfectly normal, and your grandparents would think we were soft."

Ah, he's given up on willpower and is now using the ring to force his body to stay calm. In his place I'd probably have started with that, but I can't criticise him for becoming more determined.

"Do you feel no guilt at all for abducting our people?!"

Diabo sits up slightly. "Is that what you want?"

"What?"

"This is a peace negotiation, yet all you've done is harangue me. That's the first thing that you've said that tells me anything about what you actually want from this discussion. Is the return of enslaved Japanese citizens one of your requirements?"

"Yes, of course it is!"

"Very well. That can be arranged. Naturally, we would want the surviving Sanderan soldiers returned as well."

It would be difficult, of course. Unique-looking slaves from new territories are usually more valuable than local ones. Japanese slaves will have vaccinations against common Sanderan diseases and be far less psychologically resilient than slaves taken locally, and the Japanese are expecting the Sanderan Empire to create artificial scarcity. We could probably get the ones in the capital easily enough, and Senators would probably trade fancy slaves for imprisoned relatives without too much issue… I can find the rest, but neither the Japanese or the Sanderan slave traders know that.

The Japanese official clearly isn't happy about Diabo saying that as if it's an equal exchange, but after a quick mutter with his aides he appears to decide to let it go.

"And in compensation for your attack, we-."

"Hah!" Diabo allows his composure to break for a moment, then becalms himself and raises his right hand. "I apologise."

"Do defeated nations not pay tribute to the nations who defeat them on your world?"

"At best, but I don't understand what you think we can pay you. Between the failed invasion and the deaths of so many Sanderan men, ready funds are in short supply. I imagine that many fields will be left fallow for lack of men to work them. But more fundamentally, what do you think we can make for you that you cannot make for yourself far more cheaply?"

"We.. are willing to accept payment in kind, or rights to extract minerals from your land."

"How could that possibly work?" Diabo shakes his head. "If you found… Iron, or some other metal, how are you planning on transporting it back to the gate? And in quantity? We take pride in our roads, but compared to what I saw on my journey here they're barbarian mud trails. It would take an entire legion of five thousand men working perfectly together to make five miles of road in a day, and our roads are built for horses and carts, not your larger and heavier machines. And if you managed to transport your spoils to the gate, how are you planning on moving it through the middle of your greatest city to your foundries? Will you just demolish the centre of your city, to turn it into a great warehouse?"

A depressing number of suddenly thoughtful expressions suggest to me that they hadn't considered that.

"What about magic?"

Diabo snorts. "Did you see the magical armour that the legate who led the attack wore, that made him immune to your bullets? The magical sword that let him cut through your armoured machines? No? That's because they don't exist. Magicians can do amazing things… For themselves. If they could do useful things like make fields more fruitful then we would use them for that ourselves. I can only do what I do because I have a god helping me, and if you want an Apostle you can talk to them yourself."

The wind has rather departed the minister's sails.

"And then there is the threat of disease. Our peoples are strange to each other. Your medicine is more sophisticated than ours, but do you know that you have cures for the diseases we consider normal? We certainly have no medicine to cure your diseases. My Imperial father is already planning for our central farmland to suffer from an outbreak of plagues brought by your soldiers."

"You're refusing to compensate us?"

"I simply suggest that you be realistic about what a society like ours can offer one as prosperous as yours. If you want a chest or two of gold or jewels, I can arrange that the day a treaty is signed. If you want more than that, we simply don't have it. We don't have your machinery. Most of our people are farmers, and most of the rest are skilled manual labourers of other sorts. Carpenters. Blacksmiths. Thatchers. Millers." He shrugs. "If you want an annual tribute in coarsely milled flour, that would be a simple matter as it is grown close to the gate. Are you short on flour?"

I believe that wheat flour would be an improvement on rice flour, nutritionally speaking.

"No, we-."

"And then you have to take into account how long the gate will remain open."

The face of one of the military officers whitens and he stands up, making his way to the podium. The minister pulls back to allow him to use it.

"What do you mean?"

"The gates are opened by the gods. We have no control over them. My own ancestors came through a similar gate many centuries ago, and that gate shut many centuries ago. We have no way to close it, because if we did we would close it now. And we have no way to keep it open. Except for prayer. So if you were planning on building a foundry on our side… You can, of course, but you won't be able to gain any benefit from it once the gate closes."

"How long do they stay open for?"

Diabo shrugs. "The gods open them for their own reasons."

Prince Diabo, may I speak?

He looks uncomfortable, and then raises his left hand up.

"My fellow gods open-" There are quite a few wary looks. Obviously magical jewellery can do that in a purely technological civilisation. "-gates to amuse themselves when things in Sandera become stagnant and boring to them. Once it is clear that no further war will be happening, they will close it quickly, and keep your soldiers behind to see what they do. The other gods do not like the idea of human technological progress. I imagine that without logistical support their weapons will fail them fairly quickly, whereas allowing you to build production facilities to support an occupation locally would risk that technological stasis. Already, exposure to your machines is causing the educated in the Sanderan Empire to consider new approaches to war and artifice."

The officer stares into space, working things through in his head.

"How much warning would there be?"

Diabo shrugs languidly. "How much did you get when it opened?"

He looks to the minister and leans closer to whisper to him.

"Minister, we need to consider an evacuation."

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

And just like that, Paul has completely derailed the entire story of Gate. I'm still hoping this will somehow lead to him getting his body back, and maybe killing off a few gods if they try to attack him first.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wow, sure is lucky for Paul that the history of this alternate dimension Earth was completely identical to what he knows so he could call them out like that.

16. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

That’s assuming he didn’t have Diabo check the local data networks.

17. Aabcehmu

Aabcehmu Confusion As a Natural State of Being

He did mention seeing the modern roads on the way out. Even if they were flying in a helicopter I imagine he probably had at least a few minutes of unfettered internet access.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The benefit of having an advisor with decades or even centuries of political experience. Depending on how old this OL was when he arrived there. Though I see the prince hasn't quite cottoned on that desire is more effective with the Ring than anything else.

And it's probably better to come out and say it straight off, rather than prevaricate and cover it up.

And that was driven mostly by the ticking time limit of the Gate's opening. If they'd sent scouts through first...

Yeah, the wartime culture was rather different. And the tendency to dehumanise non-Japanese rather strong. A different spin on the 'master race' philosophy of the Nazis, but done with a certain sense of superiority nonetheless.

If you're asking how he knew that well... Depending on how much signals they can get back to their side, there might well be an Internet connection, albeit a slow one, and nothing hacks like a Power Ring.

And no doubt Diabo is sweating a little inside at the sight of the knowledge they did.

Good, he's learning. Soon he'll have a solid handle on the universe's greatest tool, and then the world will be his oyster...

True. It seems like bad diplomacy to talk to a rival nation's ambassador as if they're an inferior...

Something would would probably be easier for the Japanese side to provide, given they'd likely be well secured.

Because power rings are awesome. Even if he's limited by being to forced to play by the local gods' rules...

Good, he's not going to fuck that part up. Let's see what else he can try to fuck up.

Define 'tribute'? Different cultures, different values, different resources.

Ah... They think the Gate is permanent, do they? Or at least assume it can be opened at will...

Specifically, the Ginza district, one of the city's biggest shopping hubs. Not exactly an industrial centre.

Honestly, did these guys try to find nothing out about the world?

Let me guess: Wizards are good at making things go 'boom!' and not much more? Which puts them more at the level of tactical weaponry than anything.

At least they are planning for it. I could see some less intelligent folks assuming that priests could magic away the disease or something...

The joy of trying to extort a civilisation largely at the mediaeval level of development

Silly buggers.

There we go. They really didn't put much effort into intelligence gathering, did they? Any decently-taught local would know about the Gates, right?

And I suspect the Gods will have little desire to reopen one to Earth-realm. Too much trouble.

Mostly for fun, if I understood right. Adding a little fresh blood to their playthings, maybe. Too bad they bit off more than they bargained for.

Hopefully without the crass 'pervy mentor' act...

Yup. The local Gods are arseholes.

I mean, it's not like a glowing man will come down with a trumpet and declare a deadline or anything. :p

Oh, finally, someone with actual common sense!

Well, the cat's out of the bag now. I suspect the Gods are sitting up on their clouds scowling down at OL for poking his nose into their little game. And they can't even try to force matters, because as a God, OL can probably use his own power to hold the Gate open long enough for the prisoners to be transferred. Maybe they shouldn't have forced him to play their game. :D

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul's not a God.

He's just close enough that the universal laws that limit what beings of a certain level can/can't do hit him.

Also. That was Paul lying about the Gate.

The Gods can't close it. In fact. They very specifically can't close it as that was an actual plot point that almost resulted in the destruction of both Earth and Gate world.

20. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Ahh, but does Paul know that? Do the Gods?

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Gods do.

As to Paul, there's no way to know. Though, he apparently knew enough to know they were responsible for the Gate opening to Earth. Which isn't knowledge anyone not in the Godchat network should have.

22. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

So the story ends in Mass destruction?

Celtic Spartan likes this.
  23. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

Not if I remember correctly.

Also, Persona reference ha.

Ardy likes this.
  24. monochromaticPrism

monochromaticPrism Getting out there.

It’s been ages, but one of the things that really bothered me about Gate was how arbitrary the selection of fantasy elements was.

With artful care every traditional fantasy creature and force that could hinder them just so happens to not exist. No contracts with water and earth elementals to erode their defensive foothold. No use of ghosts, wisps, or any other purely magical/spiritual entities that would screw over their 100% mundane loadout. No genuinely dangerous wildlife like tunneling ambush predators or semi-sentient insect swarms.

And that’s not getting into how boring their magic is. Given the soldiers all come from a non-magical planet, unless they all have high magic resistance “just because”, simply spamming sleep spells, or really any minds altering effect, would be immensely difficult for them to deal with.

And on the list goes. Alchemy, magic items, prognostication. Any edge that could have made the conflict even slightly interesting either doesn’t exist or the locals are too foolish to use them effectively.

25. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘on Japanese’?
    ‘saying that’?
    I’m failing to understand this sentence. Is it saying that the Japanese think the ring is not magical, or what? It occurs to me that it probably makes more sense to believe that the ‘gods’ are aliens or humans that somehow got advanced tech and conquered the world, than that they are actually gods, so is that it?

26. Mr Zoat

No, not even that.

The two things that the Sanderan Empire could have used to even the playing field were magicians and apostles. So naturally the plot-relevant wizards and apostle side with the Japanese. The Sanderan Empire has no apostles willing to help it, and while it looks like it has no wizards at all either the author says they're around in supporting roles.
    With magic, the thing holding them back is the fact that it requires them to understand how the world around them actually functions before they can modify it. Once they get some modern physics or chemistry textbooks, things will get interesting.
    Thank you, corrected.
    He's commenting on them giving him funny looks because they can't immediately understand what he is.

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Oh, I get it now. Thanks.

Wheenesss and Celtic Spartan like this.
  28. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Making the rounds.

This is one of my favorite crossovers cause of how forced the plot of GATE is and how easily it can be derailed slash improved. I could seriously read a spon-off fic of this.

29. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

I've tried looking on the thread marks but there's no search bar there could a kind soul, link the other Gateway chapters?

30. Artificial_Icecube

Artificial_Icecube Getting sticky.

One, Two, Three, Four, Five.