• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Starbate (part 2) New
5th November 1999
12:54 GMT

Bastet walks along the line of ballistic dummies, observing the damage patterns. The walls of the courtyard are lined with her Jaffa, though Heset is once again accompanying her. And Heset is wearing an… Odd perfume. Surprisingly, perfumes are a common way for a goa'uld to display their wealth. I avoid wearing them when I can get away with it, but I've had to familiarise myself with the work of the leading perfumers working in Bastet's territory. Don't recognise that one, so I guess she's showing off by importing.

"I see that your work has been productive once again. Lord Mahes and Lord Agni are well pleased with your weapons and armour."

I nod. "Alas, it will be several human generations before I have the industrial capacity to outfit your armies myself. Once you have determined how you wish to arm them, I can train your artificers in the production process."

True, but misleading. The Altairan androids are perfectly capable of making everything I displayed, but they're repairing their world and don't really have industrial capacity to spare. Not unless I could offer them something in return that would make it worth their while. Keeping them willing to trade with me at all is well worth keeping the pressure off; I need teachers that don't come from Earth more than my gou'ald allies need better armour faster.

Besides, Roboneil is getting angsty about the Altairan military wanting their gate facility back. If they actually say 'join up or get out' then I'm reasonably confident that they'll take my offer.

"And… This." She approaches one of her Jaffa, who is holding one of my novel weapons. "What is this for?"

"It's a prototype, my Lord. The Ma'Tok's functionality as a ranged weapon is compromised by ceremonial and melee considerations. I was curious as to the efficacy of using the standard technologies in a pure ranged weapon."

"What did you discover?"

I glance at Bastet's First Prime, who nods. "Jaffa, kree."

The Jaffa raises the plasma repeater to her shoulder, sights an unused target and pulls the trigger.

…-whoomp-whoomp-whoomp-whoomp-whoomp-whoomp!

Bastet looks decidedly interested. "Was achieving the higher rate of fire really that easy?"

"No. The firing chambers rotate internally, all constantly drawing power from the battery so that each is ready to fire again as swiftly as possible after discharging. And the shot are -by default- less powerful than a standard Ma'Tok blast. They'll still inflict a crippling or lethal injury through normal Jaffa armour, but they'll be less effective against other defences. And the maintenance complexity is significantly greater. If you decide to make use of the final version, I would strongly recommend increasing the level of training Jaffa receive in maintenance rituals. You would also need to increase the spare parts and fuel cell allocation Jaffa formations receive by about… Half again?" I shrug. "Once I have a final version, I will be able to give you a more precise recommendation."

"What do you suggest the Jaffa wielding it does if the enemy closes to melee range?"

I walk over to the Jaffa holding it, make a fist and bring it down hard on the gun twice with a thump-thump sound.

"The construction is solid enough that it can take some rough treatment, but they'd probably be best off just dropping it and drawing a knife. Or trying to line up a shot; the reduced length makes it much easier to manoeuvre." Hm. "The Tau'ri have an attachment point for a knife on their projectile long arms, but I'm not convinced of the efficacy of that against Jaffa armour."

Bastet turns and gives me her full attention. "You have developed nothing for melee combat?"

"Nothing I'd want to actually deploy." I mime pulling something off my belt, and brandish a shock baton. "I was considering developing something like this for police units. It works as a club, but it also incorporates a low-output variant of the Zat'nik'tel beam." I walk over to a test dummy and swing the baton into its chest. As it hits, there's the characteristic che-ow noise and energy transfers from the club to the target. "I wouldn't recommend it in combat against a peer opponent, however. It was made for riotous mobs of humans."

"And against other Jaffa?"

"I have two prototypes, neither of which are really… Ready…"

"I would like to see them anyway."

I nod, handing off the baton to one of the Jaffa observers. "The first is intended for… Ceremonial purposes more than anything. Perhaps executions. It's… Lethal, but…"

I reach into my robes and take Bastet's Claw out of subspace, then put it on my right hand.

"It looks like a decorative glove or gauntlet, but if you-" I pull my fingers back and push my palm forwards. "-gesture-" 'Claws' of burning plasma extend from the finger tips. "-like that-" I slash, and the training dummy acquires five vicious lines through its armour and across its chest. "-it takes a reasonable-."

Ow!

I wince, shake my hand to put the claws out and then heal my hand.

"A reasonable melee weapon. I haven't got the plasma containment quite right yet, and it's really only good for a few slashes before the small power cell is expended, but it does work."

Bastet is smiling, and from the glance she shares with her First Prime I think that she is pleased as well.

"And what else?"

I return the claw to subspace under my robe, and take out the blast module.

"This attaches to the bracer of a Jaffa's primary arm." I attach it around my right forearm. "It's not particularly large, and would easily pass unnoticed. But if someone closes to close range-" I raise my arm and flap my hand down.

WOOMPF!

The slashed target is visibly charred by the unrestrained plasma blast, as are its neighbours and the wall behind it.

"-you get a single plasma blast. It lacks the confinement of the bolts fired by normal weapons: it is indiscriminate up close and is ineffectual at range. But in close quarters you can't miss and the target will go down. Aiming is simply a matter of angling your arm and by default the trigger is dropping your hand. If the Jaffa is using one of Ra's helmets, it can be triggered using the display."

"Is it ready for deployment?"

"The design? Certainly. It's simple. Anyone trained in Ma'Tok creation can make it. I have not yet fully tested how useful it will be, but if you so desire-."

"I do."

I give her a shallow bow. "Then I shall include it with the schematic package."

"And do you have any other weapons with which to tantalise us?"

"I'm working on a number of things. Guns which use electromagnetic and gravitic devices to fire projectiles, simple explosive plasma grenades, simpler energy fields for defence… The grenades are ready -they're essentially a thrown omni-directional version of the arm weapon- but the others are… Well, they're technically functional, but I wouldn't want to even use them for field testing. And you would need to train the factory workers anew. The gravitic projector in particular would most likely require a minor god to assemble it for the foreseeable future. I… Also have copies of the weapons the Tau'ri use… Just in case you wished to implicate them in anything."

"If they wish to worry Apophis' flanks, they are welcome to do so. It is no concern of ours." I perform another shallow bow. "I am pleased with your work, Lord Mammon. What reward do you want in return for this service?"

I shrug, then shake my head. "Merely the opportunity to continue with my social research. I… Genuinely have no complaints about my position. It is an easy thing, to serve a System Lord who is exactly as you would have her be."

Bastet smiles proudly. "Then I will simply have to think of something myself. It is a poor System Lord who does not reward her Underlords when they serve her well."

Last edited:
5th November 1999
12:54 GMT

Bastet walks along the line of ballistic dummies, observing the damage patterns. The walls of the courtyard are lined with her Jaffa, though Heset is one again accompanying her. And Heset is wearing an… Odd perfume. Surprisingly, perfumes are a common way for a goa'uld to display their wealth. I avoid wearing them when I can get away with it, but I've had to familiarise myself with the work of the leading perfumers working in Bastet's territory. Don't recognise that one, so I guess she's showing off by importing.
Perhaps a Tok'ra-made perfume? Or an Earth one. Heck, it could well have some slight mental effect on regular Goa'uld, making them a little more tractable when they smell it... Or it just smells nice. 😘

"I see that your work has been productive once again. Lord Mahes and Lord Agni are well pleased with your weapons and armour."

I nod. "Alas, it will be several human generations before I have the industrial capacity to outfit your armies myself. Once you have determined how you wish to arm them, I can train your artificers in the production process."
Heh. Certainly, why waste his own resources outfitting someone who might one day be an enemy?

True, but misleading. The Altairan androids are perfectly capable of making everything I displayed, but they're repairing their world and don't really have industrial capacity to spare. Not unless I could offer them something in return that would make it worth their while. Keeping them willing to trade with me at all is well worth keeping the pressure off; I need teachers that don't come from Earth more than my gou'ald allies need better armour faster.
Especially since they excel in certain scientific fields Earth lags in, such as robotics.

Besides, Roboneil is getting angsty about the Altairan military wanting their gate facility back. If they actually say 'join up or get out' then I'm reasonably confident that they'll take my offer.

"And… This." She approaches one of her Jaffa, who is holding one of my novel weapons. "What is this for?"
Ah, getting inventive? Hope you didn't make anything too fancy or destructive.

"It's a prototype, my Lord. The Ma'Tok's functionality as a ranged weapon is compromised by ceremonial and melee considerations. I was curious as to the efficacy of using the standard technologies is a pure ranged weapon."

"What did you discover?"
In other words, what could he make of it by stripping away the decorative staff parts...

I glance at Bastet's First Prime, who nods. "Jaffa, kree."

The Jaffa raises the plasma repeater to her shoulder, sights an unused target and pulls the trigger.
...And build a simple gatling weapon. Heh.

…-whoomp-whoomp-whoomp-whoomp-whoomp-whoomp!

Bastet looks decidedly interested. "Was achieving the higher rate of fire really that easy?"
Oooh, I shudder to imagine what that can do on the battlefield. Regular staves are bad enough.

"No. The firing chambers rotate internally, all constantly drawing power from the battery so that each is ready to fire again as swiftly as possible after discharging. And the shot are -by default- less powerful than a standard Ma'Tok blast. They'll still inflict a crippling or lethal injury through normal Jaffa armour, but they'll be less effective against other defences. And the maintenance complexity is significantly greater. If you decide to make use of the final version, I would strongly recommend increasing the level of training Jaffa receive in maintenance rituals. You would also need to increase the spare parts and fuel cell allocation Jaffa formations receive by about… Half again?" I shrug. "Once I have a final version, I will be able to give you a more precise recommendation."
Ah. Less punch, but enough shots can mess you up. And a power hog, I see. At least it's a bit more practical than a real-world Minigun, which is way heavier and less portable than it appears in movies. They never show the slab of batteries to power the motor, nor the drum of ammunition needed to fire sustained bursts.

"What do you suggest the Jaffa wielding it does if the enemy closes to melee range?"

I walk over to the Jaffa holding it, make a fist and bring it down hard on the gun twice with a thump-thump sound.
It's a giant honking gun that weighs at least 20 kilograms (that's 40 pounds-ish.) You could beat someone with it.

"The construction is solid enough that it can take some rough treatment, but they'd probably be best off just dropping it and drawing a knife. Or trying to line up a shot; the reduced length makes it much easier to manoeuvre." Hm. "The Tau'ri have an attachment point for a knife on their projectile long arms, but I'm not convinced of the efficacy of that against Jaffa armour."
Let's not go for the Gatling Gun Bayonet meme, shall we? 😏

Bastet turns and gives me her full attention. "You have developed nothing for melee combat?"

"Nothing I'd want to actually deploy." I mime pulling something off my belt, and brandish a shock baton. "I was considering developing something like this for police units. It works as a club, but it also incorporates a low-output variant of the Zat'nik'tel beam." I walk over to a test dummy and swing the baton into its chest. As it hits, there's the characteristic che-ow noise and energy transfers from the club to the target. "I wouldn't recommend it in combat against a peer opponent, however. It was made for riotous mobs of humans."
I hope it doesn't do the 'One to drop, two to kill' thing. That would be messy.

"And against other Jaffa?"

"I have two prototypes, neither of which are really… Ready…"
Bastet is already getting a murder-based lady-boner. 😘 I think she'll want to see them.

"I would like to see them anyway."

I nod, handing off the baton to one of the Jaffa observers. "The first is intended for… Ceremonial purposes more than anything. Perhaps executions. It's… Lethal, but…"
Impractically heavy? As dangerous to the user as the victim? Likely to blow up? Go for it.

I reach into my robes and take Bastet's Claw out of subspace, then put it on my right hand.

"It looks like a decorative glove or gauntlet, but if you-" I pull my fingers back and push my palm forwards. "-gesture-" 'Claws' of burning plasma extend from the finger tips. "-like that-" I slash, and the training dummy acquires five vicious lines through its armour and across its chest. "-it takes a reasonable-."
...Laser claws. Nice. And fitting for a cat-themed goddess.

Ow!

I wince, shake my hand to put the claws out and then heal my hand.
Ah, that would be a drawback. Possibly as a weapon of desperation...

"A reasonable melee weapon. I haven't got the plasma containment quite right yet, and it's really only good for a few slashes before the small power cell is expended, but it does work."

Bastet is smiling, and from the glance she shares with her First Prime I think that she is pleased as well.
She wants a set for each hand, doesn't she?

"And what else?"

I return the claw to subspace under my robe, and take out the blast module.
Oh, that sounds nasty.

"This attaches to the bracer of a Jaffa's primary arm." I attach it around my right forearm. "It's not particularly large, and would easily pass unnoticed. But if someone closes to close range-" I raise my arm and flap my hand down.

WOOMPF!
Sounds very nasty.

The slashed target is visibly charred by the unrestrained plasma blast, as are its neighbours and the wall behind it.

"-you get a single plasma blast. It lacks the confinement of the bolts fired by normal weapons: it is indiscriminate up close and is ineffectual at range. But in close quarters you can't miss and the target will go down. Aiming is simply a matter of angling your arm and by default the trigger is dropping your hand. If the Jaffa is using one of Ra's helmets, it can be triggered using the display."
So somewhat risky to the user, but if they're in a pinch... A fire punch should get you out of most any trouble.

"Is it ready for deployment?"

"The design? Certainly. It's simple. Anyone trained in Ma'Tok creation can make it. I have not yet fully tested how useful it will be, but if you so desire-."
Given it's basically a blaster with no real barrel, that's not surprising.

"I do."

I give her a shallow bow. "Then I shall include it with the schematic package."

"And do you have any other weapons with which to tantalise us?"
He's going to get a solid reputation as a weaponeer, isn't he?

"I'm working on a number of things. Guns which use electromagnetic and gravitic devices to fire projectiles, simple explosive plasma grenades, simpler energy fields for defence… The grenades are ready -they're essentially a thrown omni-directional version of the arm weapon- but the others are… Well, they're technically functional, but I wouldn't want to even use them for field testing. And you would need to train the factory workers anew. The gravitic projector in particular would most likely require a minor god to assemble it for the foreseeable future. I… Also have copies of the weapons the Tau'ri use… Just in case you wished to implicate them in anything."
Copies of Robo-SG-1's guns, of course? Pistols and SMGs?

"If they wish to worry Apophis' flanks, they are welcome to do so. It is no concern of ours." I perform another shallow bow. "I am pleased with your work, Lord Mammon. What reward do you want in return for this service?"

I shrug, then shake my head. "Merely the opportunity to continue with my social research. I… Genuinely have no complaints about my position. It is an easy thing, to serve a System Lord who is exactly as you would have her be."

Bastet smiles proudly. "Then I will simply have to think of something myself. It is a poor System Lord who does not reward her Underlords when they serve her well."
Heh. He'll also be getting a reputation as a smooth-talking swot, won't he?

Well, at least Mammon is learning to handle Goa-uld desires quite well. Snazzy weapons, big booms and sneaky sidearms. All things that can give a System Lord a surprise edge over a rival... Without pumping her capabilities up to the point a modern combined arms force couldn't beat her. Playing a dangerous game, but playing it well.

...though Heset is one again accompanying her.
...though Heset is once again accompanying her.
I reach into my robes and take Bastet's Claw out of subspace...
Wouldn't that be Mammon's Claw? Or is it a general design in her faction?

Bastet is also implied to be one of the nicer and more reasonable Goa'uld, and in canon she gets her shit kicked in by Anubis, so strengthening her forces is unlikely to directly trouble the Tau'ri. The vast majority of the System Lords that SG-1 conflict with are Bastet's rivals too, so she's unlikely to feel any need to go out of her way to smack the Tau'ri around unless Murphy rears his head.

It's funny how Mammon is noticing all these particular details about Heset, but keeps dismissing them. It makes sense, since he's focused on other stuff and doesn't care as much, but it's hilarious that he's the only one taking note of the spy.

I wonder what Heset thinks of him and what is being reported to the Tok'Ra from this side. I imagine SG Command have passed some info to their allies at least (I don't remember the timeline that well but I think they are already allies, right?).

I'm rereading the fic, and I noticed that the term "writ wrangler" showed up back in the Yuna trade mission (the one where Paul needed to recover the experimental green ring from those free traders). Is writ wrangler part of a larger dc cannon about the reach, or are we doing lots of great original world building?
There isn't a lot of information on Reach culture. The Writ existing is a comic canon thing, but the animated series just made references to being on or off mode for some reason.
In the spoiler box it says 3rd November.
...though Heset is once again accompanying her.
Thank you, corrected.
Wouldn't that be Mammon's Claw? Or is it a general design in her faction?
He made a plasma cat claw for her. Of course he's going to name it after her.

Last edited:
The perfume comment reminds me of the mind control tricks used by the earth based Seth and his cult. Or the stuff Jackson uses to hang out with Yue later on, I think that one was based off an alien that impersonated an SG member. Depending on the environmental shield might block that, but OL fell for lipstick drugs, so Mammon might miss a nose vector.

Depending on if you use some of the comics stuff, the Goa'uld already have the equivalent to a Power Sword. They also have monomolecular weapons called Shikra blades and bladed weapons made from naquadah called A'tar blades.

If you include elements from the rpg, the Bast Guard already make use of Hand Claw weapons, so an upgraded version would be something they would favor. Other rpg elements include,
Dragon Talons used by the Jaffa of Kur.
Thunder Staffs and Lightning Staffs, modified staff weapons used by the Jaffa of Raiden.
The shak'nel, a zat sized weapon Ra equipped to his high-ranking Jaffa.
The ra'kek, a type of Goa'uld grenade.
The Lightning Thrower, which is Zeus's personal kara kesh which lets him throw lightning. Zeus also outfits his Jaffa with a different type of armor.
Raiden's own modified kara kesh.
There are also the Cauldron-Born created by the Black Cauldron(a modified sarcophagus). As well as Sokar's own enhanced sarcophagus design.

And as for a baton type weapon to deal with close combat... I'm surprised you didn't include a Goa'uld painstick as well as the taser.

He can barely make fingernail-length plasma stable. A lightsabre is some way off.
I was going to bring up a plasma-edged blade, but... It would be like a dozen welding torch spouts on the end of a thin club? Even before you try slimming that down for a practice sword's thickness, that is an annoying design to figure out. Especially if you want it to be sturdy!

I was going to bring up a plasma-edged blade, but... It would be like a dozen welding torch spouts on the end of a thin club? Even before you try slimming that down for a practice sword's thickness, that is an annoying design to figure out. Especially if you want it to be sturdy!

A short discussion on plasma weapons and their practicality

View: https://youtu.be/Ph6JREio4Sc

Now, that mostly covers the use as a ranged weapon, and skips out on issues with atmospherics, containment, thermal bloom and heat convection.

Plasma swords have a lot of impractical aspects. Fans and foes of sci-fi laser swords of all kinds have discussed this at Considerable length. Even a few 'real world' models have been attempted.

I could rehash a lot of it by rote at this point, but instead I'll just throw out Project Rho's study of 'exotic sidearms' , which covers it fairly robustly, and is a great resource for mad science.

There's no chance of me paying a Justice League affiliate for anything, much less a duplicate of the alien.

Good school grades, though like his primogenitor I don't know if that's the actual limits of his abilities or just a good cover; intelligent enough to give a good impression but not intelligent enough to draw excessive attention.
If this is the passive rage that Luthor has for Superman then I'm impressed at his self control when Paul made a Yandere joke about him being in love with Superman.

If this is the passive rage that Luthor has for Superman then I'm impressed at his self control when Paul made a Yandere joke about him being in love with Superman.
It's possible that his hatred of Clark has increased in the recent weeks or months.

Remember that the League has more or less taken over the planet and Lex kinda works for them now.

It must be hell to him to have to work with the guy he hates.

Working Relationship (part 3) New
April 23rd, 2013
16:12 EST

"…Match, B two five."

And I'm home.

I know Conner likes living in the mountain more than the Embassy, but I-. Don't. I like having people around who can answer questions about things I don't understand. I like living somewhere that's basically a normal building.

A couple of Amazon guards come to attention as I walk out. I…

"Um. Hey."

"Hey, Prince Mitchell!"

Or as normal as I can get.

I don't think she's making fun of me. I'm pretty sure, she's trying to include me. But…

But being in a position where I actually have to rule Themyscira is something that I've had nightmares about. And not just because Grandma and Mom and Conner would have to be dead. Even if they just went on vacation and made me Regent or something, just the idea of trying to fill a role I don't understand-.

"Hey they'uh, Mitch!" Ms. Candy smiles at me as she sees me "School aht alreadih?"

"Uh, yeah. I was just hanging out with the team for a while. I'm… I'm gunna go do my homework now."

"They'uh ain't no need t' gaw rushing raht awf. Y'all cuud spent a littul mowah tahm with Connuh."

"He had plans with M'gann." I shrug. "I don't want to be a third wheel."

She thinks for a moment. "Weyul, maybe she cuud set you urp with one a' her freyunds?"

It takes an act of will to prevent me recoiling. Dating? Me? Some things genomorphs can't teach you. I don't wanna try that for… Uh, a couple of years, maybe? Definitely not until college. I'm just glad that no Amazons have tried asking me out.

"I… I don't think that's a good idea. Ah, yet! Yet. Ah. Maybe sometime."

Okay, she doesn't look happy about that. I don't think she has any friends with kids my-. Ah, physical age, but she might-.

Her cell phone goes off, and she reluctantly decides to let it go to answer.

"Themysciran Embassy, Etta Candy speakin'. Uh-huh." I try walking away, but she holds up her left hand like a stop sign. "Ye-uh. Awl let her know." She's frowning as she puts the cell down. "Mitchell Kent, don't tell me ya'll applahed t' work at LexCorp?"

"Okay." I make for the exit to the residency, but then her hand's on my chest.

"C'mon now, young mahn."

"Did they say yes? No?"

"Front deysk gaht a fellah raht they'uh, askin' t'do a face-to-face."

Huh. That was quick.

"We usually let folks from LexCorp cool theyuh heel fer a good long wahyl." She regards me sternly. "Does you tell Diana 'bowt this?"

"Yeah. And Grandma and Conner. M'gann and Zatanna are going to check nothing.. bad happens to me while I'm there. If they even accept me." … "Is Mom here?"

"She's head'n raht down, and you should too."

I nod. "Okay." I'm half way to the door in relief before I remember… Myself. "Ah, thanks! Sorry!"

She just makes a one-handed shooing motion, so I get out while I can.

Couldn't Mom have hired more guys? I have enough aunts as it is.

Conner said that he found it weird how full up the Embassy is these days, but I don't really remember anything else. People researching Ancient Greece, because the original manuscripts don't leave the Embassy. People doing tourist preparation courses, mostly from Themyscira to New York rather than the other way around, because Themyscira has… No tourist infrastructure at all. People from other embassies, though some of them are just making excuses to spend time with the attractive warrior women.

Conner was right about super-hearing. And Kara was way wrong. Hearing thousands of sounds in a city makes it easier to filter all of it out. It's just white noise. Background. At least it is for me. But once you learn what a guy getting a boner sounds like… The way the heart rate changes, the shape of the pulse changes, and the sound of skin slowly sliding across cloth... You can't not hear it. Even if you wish you could.

Julia's on the front desk, and she points at one of the front meeting rooms. So it's not someone Mom already knows not to trust. I mean, LexCorp employs thousands of people, so it's not like they're all… Cloning aliens and turning them into slave weapons. Some of them are just regular people.

I look through the wall. Mom's whole body blocks the radiation bandwidths I can see-.

I wince.

But she mostly wears her armour bodice around the Embassy like she is right now, after the one time she didn't and I couldn't look her in the face for a week. Conner thought it was pretty funny. The one time he was glad to not be fully kryptonian. The other.. woman, has regular skin and bones. One old break on her right arm almost totally healed, just a bit of extra thickness where the break was. I mean, sure, I can see peoples' bones and hear their heartbeats, but that doesn't mean I learn the pattern for everyone. I don't think I've seen her before…

I knock on the door, and Mom turns towards me and nods. But I wait until she says something, because…

Okay, LexCorp knows that I'm 'Project: Match', but… I'm not openly kryptonian, because… We're all agreeing to pretend to pretend that I'm not? It made sense when she explained it. I guess it kind of makes sense when I'm going to look exactly like Clark Kent when I'm older, and if everyone-. Everyone-everyone knew I was kryptonian it could make his life awkward. But there are Superman look-alikes around-.

Whatever. It doesn't hurt anyone. Other than my head a little. The point is 'Mitchell Kent' can't see through walls or doors, so I pretend I can't either.

"Come in, Mitchell!"

I push the door open and walk in, smiling a little at the woman in the suit.

"Hey, Mom." I look expectantly at the woman. "Etta said we had a visitor from LexCorp?"

"Yes." The woman nods, then gets up and holds out her right hand. "Eve Teschmacher, Business Development Manager. I'm overseeing the internship program."

I shake her hand, because I didn't see a kryptonite ring and if there was one I'd be feeling it by now anyway.

"Hey. I'm.. Mitchell Kent. Ah. I only sent the application in a few days ago. I wasn't expecting a visit this quick."

"We don't get a lot of foreign ambassador's children applying to work with us." She returns to her seat and I sit down next to Mom. "Other than as joke applications sometimes. And since I was in New York I thought I'd come over and visit. Skip a few rounds of background checks."

I.. nod. Ah. "Oh wait. You're not a business development manager. You're…"

"Head of the Business Development Department, yes. If your application is successful there's a good chance you'll be working under me!"

Oh. Right. It wouldn't really make much sense for some random kid to start out working with Lex Luthor himself. Or for them to put Wonder Woman's son anywhere near anything criminal, even if they thought that he didn't have superpowers.

She smiles, turning so that her body faces me directly. "How about I tell you what we do, and you can tell me what you think?"

Last edited:
It takes an act of will to prevent me recoiling. Dating? Me? Some things genomorphs can't teach you. I don't wanna try that for… Uh, a couple of years, maybe? Definitely not until college. I'm just glad that no Amazons have tried asking me out.
I hope he discovers that he's asexual like Diana seems to be.

Conner was right about super-hearing. And Kara was way wrong. Hearing thousands of sounds in a city makes it easier to filter all of it out. It's just white noise. Background. At least it is for me. But once you learn what a guy getting a boner sounds like… The way the heart rate changes, the shape of the pulse changes, and the sound of skin slowly sliding across cloth... You can't not hear it. Even if you wish you could.
That is a hilarious thought. Does Superman have this problem too? Or is it just Match for some reason?

I look through the wall. Mom's whole body blocks the radiation bandwidths I can see-.

I wince.

But she mostly wears her armour bodice around the Embassy like she is right now, after the one time she didn't and I couldn't look her in the face for a week. Conner thought it was pretty funny. The one time he was glad to not be fully kryptonian.
So Match can say he knows what Wonder Woman looks like naked just like Paul can. At least now he knows it's rude to constantly use his x-ray vision everywhere on everyone he meets.

April 23rd, 2013
16:12 EST

"…Match, B two five."

And I'm home.
Ah, back to Mitchell once more. This will be an interesting time for him, what with the application to Lexcorp. Lex said he's not to be treated any differently to any other prospective intern, but I wonder how his friends will react?

I know Conner likes living in the mountain more than the Embassy, but I-. Don't. I like having people around who can answer questions about things I don't understand. I like living somewhere that's basically a normal building.

A couple of Amazon guards come to attention as I walk out. I…
Given his lack of social programming in the tube, I'm not surprised he prefers to have potential mentors around. Though I have no doubt all the Amazons love to mother him a little.

"Um. Hey."

"Hey, Prince Mitchell!"
Not quite a conventional greeting, but I suppose they aren't all that comfortable with treating him so casually.

Or as normal as I can get.

I don't think she's making fun of me. I'm pretty sure, she's trying to include me. But…
Woman several thousand years old trying to adapt to a very different culture's rules of social interaction is naturally awkward. 😏 Unsurprising.

But being in a position where I actually have to rule Themyscira is something that I've had nightmares about. And not just because Grandma and Mom and Conner would have to be dead. Even if they just went on vacation and made me Regent or something, just the idea of trying to fill a role I don't understand-.
They'd probably know you'd have to rely on your advisors. But you'd learn.

"Hey they'uh, Mitch!" Ms. Candy smiles at me as she sees me "School aht alreadih?"

"Uh, yeah. I was just hanging out with the team for a while. I'm… I'm gunna go do my homework now."
Man, I forgot how thick her accent is. Like chewing taffy.

"They'uh ain't no need t' gaw rushing raht awf. Y'all cuud spent a littul mowah tahm with Connuh."

"He had plans with M'gann." I shrug. "I don't want to be a third wheel."
Nothing more awkward than hanging out with your brother and your girl at the same time. Looking for fun with one and trying to make the other not feel left out...

She thinks for a moment. "Weyul, maybe she cuud set you urp with one a' her freyunds?"

Smart move. You do not want to get caught in that minefield without preparation..

"I… I don't think that's a good idea. Ah, yet! Yet. Ah. Maybe sometime."

Okay, she doesn't look happy about that. I don't think she has any friends with kids my-. Ah, physical age, but she might-.
Honestly, he'd probably come across as severely socially awkward.

Her cell phone goes off, and she reluctantly decides to let it go to answer.

"Themysciran Embassy, Etta Candy speakin'. Uh-huh." I try walking away, but she holds up her left hand like a stop sign. "Ye-uh. Awl let her know." She's frowning as she puts the cell down. "Mitchell Kent, don't tell me ya'll applahed t' work at LexCorp?"
Nice of him not to listen in.

"Okay." I make for the exit to the residency, but then her hand's on my chest.

"C'mon now, young mahn."
You're not getting out of explaining that easily, Mitch.

"Did they say yes? No?"

"Front deysk gaht a fellah raht they'uh, askin' t'do a face-to-face."
Ah. The perils of real-world interactions: A Visit from HR.

"Huh. That was quick."

"We usually let folks from LexCorp cool theyuh heel fer a good long wahyl." She regards me sternly. "Does you tell Diana 'bowt this?"
I imagine Lex takes the delay as a fact of dealing with Diana's staff... Not like he's wasting his time, after all.

"Yeah. And Grandma and Conner. M'gann and Zatanna are going to check nothing.. bad happens to me while I'm there. If they even accept me." … "Is Mom here?"

"She's head'n raht down, and you should too."
Even knowing she's on board with this... I can't help imagining Mitchell sweating a little.

I nod. "Okay." I'm half way to the door in relief before I remember… Myself. "Ah, thanks! Sorry!"

She just makes a one-handed shooing motion, so I get out while I can.

Couldn't Mom have hired more guys? I have enough aunts as it is.
They probably spend too much time looking at their co-workers. Unless they're asexual or homosexual...

Conner said that he found it weird how full up the Embassy is these days, but I don't really remember anything else. People researching Ancient Greece, because the original manuscripts don't leave the Embassy. People doing tourist preparation courses, mostly from Themyscira to New York rather than the other way around, because Themyscira has… No tourist infrastructure at all. People from other embassies, though some of them are just making excuses to spend time with the attractive warrior women.
I suspect if they set up some sort of visitor housing in a mansion or something, that might work out... Until something crazy happened and the tourists got trapped on the island. Imagine if that had happened during the Anti-Life arc...

...Now picture Kara hearing stuff like that wherever she goes, and now you know why she doesn't like it.

Julia's on the front desk, and she points at one of the front meeting rooms. So it's not someone Mom already knows not to trust. I mean, LexCorp employs thousands of people, so it's not like they're all… Cloning aliens and turning them into slave weapons. Some of them are just regular people.
Heck, some of the guys doing the bad stuff aren't bad guys themselves. Lex keeps his stuff so compartmentalised, I doubt some even realise that they're actually doing.

I wince.
Interesting detail. Part of her armour's protections, or something innate to her physiology?

But she mostly wears her armour bodice around the Embassy like she is right now, after the one time she didn't and I couldn't look her in the face for a week. Conner thought it was pretty funny. The one time he was glad to not be fully kryptonian. The other.. woman, has regular skin and bones. One old break on her right arm almost totally healed, just a bit of extra thickness where the break was. I mean, sure, I can see peoples' bones and hear their heartbeats, but that doesn't mean I learn the pattern for everyone. I don't think I've seen her before…
Definitely the armour, then. That would be sooo embarrassing. On the upside, he can say 'she has great bone structure' and mean it. 😘

I knock on the door, and Mom turns towards me and nods. But I wait until she says something, because…

Okay, LexCorp knows that I'm 'Project: Match', but… I'm not openly kryptonian, because… We're all agreeing to pretend to pretend that I'm not? It made sense when she explained it. I guess it kind of makes sense when I'm going to look exactly like Clark Kent when I'm older, and if everyone-. Everyone-everyone knew I was kryptonian it could make his life awkward. But there are Superman look-alikes around-.
There's still plenty of time for you to make your heroic identity Wonder-Boy. Claim to be a divinely blessed child of the Amazons, or something. I mean, how much does the public know about you?

Whatever. It doesn't hurt anyone. Other than my head a little. The point is 'Mitchell Kent' can't see through walls or doors, so I pretend I can't either.

"Come in, Mitchell!"
Not that I don't expect the HR lady to be a little suspicious.

I push the door open and walk in, smiling a little at the woman in the suit.

"Hey, Mom." I look expectantly at the woman. "Etta said we had a visitor from LexCorp?"
And he thought he was bad at social situations? That was smooth.

"Yes." The woman nods, then gets up and holds out her right hand. "Eve Teschmacher, Business Development Manager. I'm overseeing the internship program."

I shake her hand, because I didn't see a kryptonite ring and if there was one I'd be feeling it by now anyway.
Ah, another Donner-verse import. I take it she's handling this personally because of Diana's involvement.

"Hey. I'm.. Mitchell Kent. Ah. I only sent the application in a few days ago. I wasn't expecting a visit this quick."

"We don't get a lot of foreign ambassador's children applying to work with us." She returns to her seat and I sit down next to Mom. "Other than as joke applications sometimes. And since I was in New York I thought I'd come over and visit. Skip a few rounds of background checks."
And maybe report directly to Lex about it... I know, he said he didn't want to give Mitchell any special treatment, but sheer curiosity...

I.. nod. Ah. "Oh wait. You're not a business development manager. You're…"

"Head of the Business Development Department, yes. If your application is successful there's a good chance you'll be working under me!"
...And a good chance he might get to meet Lex after all. Depending on circumstances.

Oh. Right. It wouldn't really make much sense for some random kid to start out working with Lex Luthor himself. Or for them to put Wonder Woman's son anywhere near anything criminal, even if they thought that he didn't have superpowers.

She smiles, turning so that her body faces me directly. "How about I tell you what we do, and you can tell me what you think?"
Always a good place to start.

An unexpectedly high-level staff member to be overseeing this, but given it's fricking Wonder Woman's son who's applying... Even though Lex didn't want him getting any special treatment, it looks like people might give it to him just because. And you never know, Mitchell might actually learn some interesting things about actual business stuff.

Last edited:
@Mr Zoat there is a broken tag somewhere and half the update is in italics
Remove or add a ".
"bones"
Thank you, corrected.
That is a hilarious thought. Does Superman have this problem too? Or is it just Match for some reason?
I remember reading a Superman comic where he said that when he was a young man his biggest problem was going from the quiet Kent farm to church where he had to deal with dozens of people making noises around him.
So Match can say he knows what Wonder Woman looks like naked just like Paul can. At least now he knows it's rude to constantly use his x-ray vision everywhere on everyone he meets.
Not exactly. He got what was effectively a black and white image of one direction. Perhaps the worst part was that he didn't immediately recognise her.

Superman may have gotten used to it as his powers developed, while Match practically had them since his first thought.

Though that was an interesting problem with super hearing.

Usually when you think about the problems of super hearing you imagine painful loud noises, not something awkward.

It makes me wonder about other problems that super senses can bring that you usually don't think of.

I remember reading a crossover fanfic between Superman and The Boys TV show in which Clark and Homelander have a problem with eating and drinking because they can taste the cleaning products used on the utensils and glasses.

I imagine Lex takes the delay as a fact of dealing with Diana's staff... Not like he's wasting his time, after all

They do need to make sure that he's not up to something.

Definitely the armour, then. That would be sooo embarrassing. On the upside, he can say 'she has great bone structure' and mean it. 😘

He can say it, but it would be really wrong to do it.

And maybe report directly to Lex about it... I know, he said he didn't want to give Mitchell any special treatment, but sheer curiosity...

Heck, his subordinates probably think they'd get a promotion if they can get Match on their side.

@Mr Zoat, random question. What's going on with Waller and Task Force X at the moment? I ask partially because Waller's an interesting character here and I'd like to know what her opinion of OL is after interacting with him so much and knowing what he can, and is willing, to do if the situation calls for it.

@Mr Zoat, random question. What's going on with Waller and Task Force X at the moment? I ask partially because Waller's an interesting character here and I'd like to know what her opinion of OL is after interacting with him so much and knowing what he can, and is willing, to do if the situation calls for it.
Waller's doing something in the Department of Justice. Task Force X doesn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back