• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Realigned (part 4)
6th February
13:09 GMT -5

"…with Xor, and it could take a week or two."

Kaldur nods. "I hope that he is able to find the answers that he seeks."

I shrug. "Neither of us are exactly expert investigators, but Alignment worlds are a bit less crazy than Earth, and I.. doubt that they're Lantern-proof. Whether we can find the truth or not, it should be a quick investigation. What comes after"

"Do you require additional assistance?"

"Require, no, but Guy's agreed to come along to liaise with their government and the local Green Lanterns."

"In that case, I will-."

Blinding white light fills the living area!

"Be not afr-!"

My construct fist wraps around the.. angel's? Body and slams it against the floor, while Kaldur leaps to his feet with his water bearers in hand!

Zauriel tilts his head upward from his prone position. "I am sorry if I have offended you-."

I let my construct dissipate, though Kaldur keeps his water bearers raised. "This is a secure Justice League facility. Quite aside from the fact that your uninvited arrival is impolite, the mountain has automated defences which are programmed to attack any intruder."

Zauriel climbs to his feet. He looks… The wings are still there, but he looks… Less ethereal than he used to. Less a being of incarnate magic and more a being of flesh who uses magic. "I beg your pardon, and thank you for your guidance. I will make note not to repeat my action."

Ugh, the one angel who gets that.

"Why are you here?"

"I have taken… The one who was formerly Noriel and Linda Danvers both into my care. I hope that I will be able to provide her with the support and guidance which she requires."

I nod. "I'm sure that she appreciates it."

Zauriel nods. "Yes, she does. But she also wants to make-. Not.. make amends, precisely, but… Purge herself, of the evils which the Linda Danvers part of herself committed."

"How about the evils which the Noriel part of her committed?"

He bows his head slightly. "Am I to understand then that you are not at peace with the agents of the Silver City?"

"Define 'at peace'. I'm.. content with the settlement we reached, but that doesn't mean that I like your people or the system you operate under."

"Should I take it that you would be uncomfortable with working with me in the future?"

Kaldur and I glance at one another.

"I would have concerns. While you can make your own moral judgements now, I'm a little worried that you might default to prior instructions rather than thinking things through for yourself."

Zauriel smiles sadly.

"I was restored to life and sent to the Earth to test whether or not I was capable of exercising good moral judgement without external instruction. I would like to know what I can do to convince you that we angels are not so malevolent as you believe us to be."

"Years of interaction, during which I come to understand why you make the choices which you do."

"If you are prepared to spend enough time with me, I will endeavour to grant you that understanding."

"Yeah…" I sigh. "Are you limited to the Earth?"

He shakes his head. "No."

"Then…" It's the only way they're going to learn. For the good of the material universe the angels need to learn to make their own decisions. "Alright, on one condition."

"Name it."

"Two of the people I've been working with in Belle Reve, Thomas and Tuppence Beresford. I think they're as close to being rehabilitated as I can get them within a prison environment."

"A beatitude upon you for your charitable work."

"Um. Thank.. you. What I want is for you to help their mother. She's an alcoholic mess, but apparently she still makes it into church each week so I'm hopeful that she'll be more receptive to you than to Alcoholics Anonymous or her parish priest."

Zauriel nods. "I would be happy to do that. I will admit that I was a little concerned with what you would ask of me."

"If you were any other angel I might have come up with something… Else. But you heard me out and you tried to warn me when the rest of the Chorus went crazy. I don't blame you for their actions, I'm just… Cautious."

"I understand, and thank you for your forbearance." He looks around. "How should I leave?"

Kaldur steps forward. "I will show you to the door. Please follow me."

I nod to him as I raise my right hand to my forehead. "See you when I get back."

The mountain disappears and is replaced by near-Earth space. Guy's staring down at Europe and doesn't bother looking around as I approach.

"Ready?"

"If I asked you who th' first human Green Lantern was, what would you say?"

I doubt he's talking about Jordan-. From.. the.. comics… There was that guy in China… I think I remember reading that Sur lent someone a ring in the Old West… And then there's Lord Malvolio, whatever the heck he was supposed to be.

"Someone before Jordan?"

He turns his head my way. "You blowin' smoke up my ass?"

No, I… Shouldn't dick Guy around. And if someone as powerful as Malvolio was supposed to be is making waves, he'll need my support.

"Are you talking about Malvolio?"

"Hnh." He turns back to his Earth-gazing. "Yeah. Turns out the Guardians weren't bein' all that honest 'bout why they put Al on the 'Do Not Recruit' list. Some asshole got hold of a ring back in the seventeenth century. Did a whole lotta stuff us humanoids aren't supposed to be able to. When Hal told 'em about Al they were… Concerned, about maybe gettin' a repeat performance."

"Why did they tell you?"

"Guess they figure they can trust me. They wanna see if I can do the stuff he did, so's they shared their old records."

"And Jordan?"

"Nah, they just gave him a rookie t' train. Maybe they think I'm the smart one?" He smiles. "Alright, let's go see how far Xor's got fixin' his ship."

Last edited:
"Be not afr-!"

My construct fist wraps around the.. angel's? Body and slams it against the floor, while Kaldur leaps to his feet with his water bearers in hand!

Zauriel tilts his head upward from his prone position. "I am sorry if I have offended you-."
Is him not talking in verse a symbol of changed status, or an error?

Also, lolnope Guy, you get the trustworthy ones to train, and the expendable ones to practice dangerous techniques.

"Are you talking about Malvolio?"

"Hnh." He turns back to his Earth-gazing. "Yeah. Turns out the Guardians weren't bein' all that honest 'bout why they put Al on the 'Do Not Recruit' list. Some asshole got hold of a ring back in the seventeenth century. Did a whole lotta stuff us humanoids aren't supposed to be able to. When Hal told 'em about Al they were… Concerned, about maybe getting' a repeat performance."
And they are still not being honest, because Malvolio was not the first human lantern.

But then, Paul wouldn't know about the First Lantern either since that particular bit of dark history came to light in 2017.

And they are still not being honest, because Malvolio was not the first human lantern.

But then, Paul wouldn't know about the First Lantern either since that particular bit of dark history came to light in 2017.
No, that is wrong. If the First Lantern only came to light in 2017, that means it's part of Nu-52, and therefore automatically and irreversibly non-canon. Malvolio is still the first human lantern.

Did a whole lotta stuff us humanoids aren't supposed to be able to.

Did he mean "humans", does he just not know that humanoids means more than just humans or does he really mean every bipedal species with arms and one head in the galaxy?

Also, I think Paul was a bit harsh with poor Zauriel here. Angelboy is trying very hard to be good.

I shrug. "Neither of us are exactly expert investigators, but Alignment worlds are a bit less crazy than Earth, and I.. doubt that they're Lantern-proof. Whether we can find the truth or not, it should be a quick investigation. What comes after"
Let's hope there's a planet left.

Twitchy, and understandably so.

Zauriel climbs to his feet. He looks… The wings are still there, but he looks… Less ethereal than he used to. Less a being of incarnate magic and more a being of flesh who uses magic. "I beg your pardon, and thank you for your guidance. I will make note not to repeat my action."
Wonder how he's getting used to having meat for a body...

"I have taken… The one who was formally Noriel and Linda Danvers both into my care. I hope that I will be able to provide her with the support and guidance which she requires."
Good to hear...

He bows his head slightly. "Am I to understand then that you are not at peace with the agents of the Silver City?"
...Are you serious?

"I was restored to life and sent to the Earth to test whether or not I was capable of exercising good moral judgement without external instruction. I would like to know what I can do to convince you that we angels are not so malevolent as you believe us to be."
So even his bosses are curious as to how he handles things?

"Um. Thank.. you. What I want is for you to help their mother. She's an alcoholic mess, but apparently she still makes it into church each week so I'm hopeful that she'll be more receptive to you than to Alcoholics Anonymous or her parish priest."
I suspect most faithful would be receptive to an angel's visit...

"Hnh." He turns back to his Earth-gazing. "Yeah. Turns out the Guardians weren't bein' all that honest 'bout why they put Al on the 'Do Not Recruit' list. Some asshole got hold of a ring back in the seventeenth century. Did a whole lotta stuff us humanoids aren't supposed to be able to. When Hal told 'em about Al they were… Concerned, about maybe getting' a repeat performance."
A sentience with no inborn defined boundaries or limitations? I bet they're nervous.

"Nah, they just gave him a rookie t' train. Maybe they think I'm the smart one?" He smiles. "Alright, let's go see how far Xor's got fixin' his ship."
A rookie? A certain teenager for whom Lantern-work runs in the family?

This road trip gets even better!

Last edited:
Zauriel is a good ang... a good man now, I suppose, he doesn't really deserve any bad cred because he was and considers himself an angel, although I don't know how he managed to just teleport to the Mountain. Shouldn't the defenses block most of the techniques for teleportation and phasing and stuff?

On the other hand I can't stand the Linda/Noriel individual... if she ends up on the Team I will feel bad for it. I was hoping for her to get put on a bus and not show up again until the next angelic relevant arc or, better yet, never again.

And couldn't they invite Alan to come in this space adventure? Come on, I don't think he's particularly busy and this seems like an easy mission (relatively).

But that includes Oans. So Malvolio was capable of things they were not?

Molvolio was banished.

So he used his seemingly standard issue green lantern ring to make a space station seemingly made out of solid gold, complete with at least one inhabitant that passed the Turing test, only for the space station and everything in it faded away as it was all constructs after Hal left with his ring, as that was Molvolio's plan from the beginning.

So he's basically the Larfleeze equivalent of the Green Lanterns.

Molvolio was going to get his own team of 90s antihero- The Hawks, Ray, Black Condor, Arion of Atlantis, Phantom Lady, and Will Payton Starman, but DC passed

Are those first two canon to story?

Also I forget, you didn't make green flame canon right?

Li apparently existed, I remember him being mentioned in the history of Mandate Earth which is an alternate timeline, but he might not have ever gotten a ring though in the mainstream timeline.

So as someone mentioned, Amazon is releasing The Boys tv series today. HBO is releasing Watchmen in October - without Alan Moore's involvement, and in an alternate universe from the canon, so probably made by fans. Even looking at the trailers there's a lot of stuff different from the comic. It's basically some guy's Watchmen fanfic. Which do you want to bet is going to be better recieved?

Howso? OL once fought off a army of angels, and only lost once the Archangel of War himself showed up. Zauriel is probably not quite up to that level.
While I wouldn't say that he would kick Pauls ass, Zauriel is still a very old and powerful magic user, and Paul doesent have the sword of thr fallen anymore, he also knows to avoid Pauls mage slayers. Id say he has a decent chance to defeat Paul.

"Years of interaction, during which I come to understand why you make the choices which you do."

"If you are prepared to spend enough time with me, I will endeavour to grant you that understanding."
Both of these statements are absolutely perfect.

OL's because, instead of setting a trite and cliched quest "to prove your trustworthiness", he gave an answer that would actually do what was requested. The proper way to build real trust is to create understanding and a relationship of mutual respect.

Zauriel's because that is exactly how an angel of the Lord is supposed to be.

I'm digging this whole story arc so far, everyone is being really cool.

OK, Apparently I was confusing the UK with Germany, which is pretty odd.

Is the former-PM Elizabeth Taylor the Earth 16 counterpart of the actress, or is she someone else?
The name was supposed to be random, but I have heard of the actress so that might have been where it came from. I'd need to do research before deciding whether or not it was the same woman in-universe.

What is the Guardians' problem with Hal Jordan? I don't think he has done half of his major hijinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back