• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Have any of his friends commented on the implications of what he's doing with Euanthe? I imagine at least KF would give an slightly erotic joke before Artemis dope slaps him. Also, what's Ivy been up to now that she's a law abiding citizen that apparently works for Ted Kord?
Donna commented about it and how the amazons thought he was into plants and impregnated Euanthe in the temple of Dementer. I doubt she didn't tell the other about it.

Law of conservation of competence. If the JL is competent then young Justice always has a safety net which they didn't think was enough drama.

Law of "I am busy right now".

If the JLA was busy when the kids were in true danger, as they should be because DC is disaster land, then there would be no need to make the JLA so terrible.

Also any time the most powerful Leagues were busy with a crisis it would create tension. Or just have a single leaguer around babysitting that just happens to find their hard counter.

Think the Team is safe because Captain Marvel is babysitting them? Too bad! Doctor Silvana just stole his powers!

Think Batman will save the day? Too bad he didn't bring his anti New God equipment!

My point is, there were dozens of ways to put the team in danger without an incompetent league.

Last edited:
Way to waste an actual chance to get the League to step up their game on being petty Paul.

Or... It was a lesson on being too trusting, not having fallback plans, not having protocols for any number of mind control or subversion techniques. Not to mention, he literally says they're doing it again next week where this specific tactic will not happen.

Not a single person in the scene thought it was a waste or just him being petty, even the ones who hold a grudge.

Way to waste an actual chance to get the League to step up their game on being petty Paul.

Making the point that a properly equipped shapeshifter or one compromised League member could potentially get them all killed is definitely a way to get the League to step up their game, and is such a big point that it's easily worth wasting a entire training exercise on it.

She's been becoming more insecure about out relationship since Christmas.
Should be "about our".

"Was that Eris's idea?"

"Hah-! Huh-hah! Ah -hah!- um, she's-. She's been becoming more insecure about out relationship since Christmas. I thought this would pick her up. Um."
I mean, maybe if Paul wouldn't refer to her like she's the woman on the side in his and Jade's romantic relationship and actually referred to himself as a worshiper of her she'd be less confused and uncertain?

I mean, maybe if Paul wouldn't refer to her like she's the woman on the side in his and Jade's romantic relationship and actually referred to himself as a worshiper of her she'd be less confused and uncertain?
If Paul was the kind of person who would treat deities with reverence I doubt she would be nearly as interested in him.

The obvious next trick to do is exploit the fear of people being a pasty for the next exercise, but well that seems obvious. I mean Paul will likely do it would be a waste not to, but he is going to pull more than one trick.
Of course it's obvious, but that doesn't mean it's not effective. I would seriously hope he's going to pull a game of Paranoia next time -- if he can sow discord (hail Eris!) among the League so they're hesitant to work together, then he can divide and conquer to keep them from dedicating the necessary resources to stop him.

I never really understood why someone like the SI who is all about careful rational choices and optimizations would choose to pick Eris as a patron goddess.

Technically he doesn't even need a patron goddess; you can just worship the pantheon. Though i suppose he was afraid his "faith" wouldn't be enough to count and he needed an explicit pact with someone. But why Eris?

I never really understood why someone like the SI who is all about careful rational choices and optimizations would choose to pick Eris as a patron goddess.

Technically he doesn't even need a patron goddess; you can just worship the pantheon. Though i suppose he was afraid his "faith" wouldn't be enough to count and he needed an explicit pact with someone. But why Eris?
Think of chaos in the sense of chaos theory. A whole lot of maths.

He wasn't expecting to have any actual contact with her. He only picked her as a declaration of purpose to the Amazons.

It sort of gets back to
What's her portfolio again?
In the original depictions of Eris, there is a sharp distinction between two kinds of strife and discord. Eris's form of discord is not the toxic kind that we see so much of these days, of people trying to tear down those they don't like. It's more like competitiveness and ambition: you see someone who is successful and want to be like that, so you are encouraged to work harder to compete. Eris's portfolio is the struggle to advance, to build, to outdo the people around you and rise above; she is literally the spirit of competition.

In one sense Paul and Eris have found an ideal way to relate to one another. Between Eris's aggressive flirting and Paul's deliberate ambiguity over whether or not he is willing to take her as a girlfriend or mistress on the side, they are both expressing Eris's own portfolio. It just strikes me as a particularly dangerous dynamic to have when Jade and Paul's relationship is already being strained by extended periods away from one another and Jade's own (justified!) concerns that she is simply not anywhere near Paul's power level and as such is both a potential hostage to Paul's enemies and being patronized as sort of a pet who has sex with her owner. That dynamic could so easily spill over into the unhealthy kind of strife that it seems strange to me that Paul is willing to live so dangerously with what is supposed to be an important relationship to him.

Did he forget that his best friend is an amazonian prince and that he is the student of the goddess of truth?

Did you forget that this is the same guy who walked through a coke-and-guns deal between gangsters and didn't notice!

He's come a long way since then, but not that far.

Did he forget that his best friend is an amazonian prince and that he is the student of the goddess of truth?
But even Diana doesn't have frequent contact with her deities. Kon has had far less face time with Helios than the SI has, and most Amazons don't even have that. He knew it was possible, he didn't think it was likely.

Making the point that a properly equipped shapeshifter or one compromised League member could potentially get them all killed is definitely a way to get the League to step up their game, and is such a big point that it's easily worth wasting a entire training exercise on it.
Except the whole thing only worked because they knew he was not a shapeshifter knew he was not mind controlled, and it was an exercise that they were cooperating with.

So basically the only thing they learned from this is that in the future if Paul suggests a training exercise, cheat.

Except the whole thing only worked because they knew he was not a shapeshifter knew he was not mind controlled, and it was an exercise that they were cooperating with.

So basically the only thing they learned from this is that in the future if Paul suggests a training exercise, cheat.

You know, Paul could have been impersonated and mind controlled at literally any time before or during the war games.

And he just got them all killed.

But that doesn't matter because it means Paul is in the wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back