1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Also interesting is that, as pointed out in The Time Ships every time travel device is more properly called a universe creation device. And that as such an exponential explosion in the number of universes will result

Vorian and Lupercal like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe something to do with the various Maltusian factions if OL shares this report with everyone.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That assumes it worked perfectly, which is highly unlikely because things never work perfectly in the DC multiverse.

Darko likes this.
  4. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

You have yet to give any reason to believe that it wasn't Krona.

Ardy, Lupercal and moralrelativity like this.
  5. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

In fact Sivana should be OL's first stop now that he's back in his original universe, for this very reason. Hell, maybe we can get an update from Georgia about the report he commissioned on why Reed Richards is still Useless in this universe?

Hell, maybe if we're really lucky OL himself will get off his ass and stop being so useless? Yeah, he doesn't know how to run a business himself, but there are thousands of idealistic business people out there who'd be ecstatic to work for and manage a not-for-profit VC company with effectively unlimited money to bankroll transformative technologies; they just tend to be broke themselves.

DAT_NOOB, Ardy, True Ninja and 4 others like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You mean other then the fact that Pariah only appears when something bad actually happens and not when something bad might happen but is prevented?

It's really too bad Paul didn't see how much better Peter is doing then him on that front.

Gantradies and Darko like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Really hope the talk with Sybarite will give him some ideas on that front.

He can recruit someone skilled to run his business while he bankrolls them and he can make sure they are committed to the work with his empathic vision so they don't do something stupid and evil like Luthor would.

Luthor may be one of the worlds best businessmen, but he is also a somewhat emotionally stunted individual that would have to have OL being there most of the time to hold his hand so that he doesn't do somethings stupid, like what renegade is doing with his Luthor.

So unless paragon decides to alter how Luthor thinks with his ring his safest bet to get countries to advance is by hiring some skilled businessmen to basically run a schitzo tech development company, like Peter is doing.

On the subject of the Sivanas and the Reed Richards thing this episode could include Boss Smiley.

Remember he is responsible for the world not advancing through his actions in politics so maybe this episode will have paragon finally confront him and beat him or just fight him, assuming it is a paragon episode, remember renegade is far more involved with politics than the paragon is.

Cuchulin, Vorian, Gantradies and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I would respectfully remind you that Ted Kord exists.

Edit: No, sorry, I should expand on this.

Sybarite decided that things wouldn't change unless he forced them every step of the way. He he aided his primary lover in essentially taking a continent hostage and forcing through the changes he wanted to make.

The SI on the other hand believes that if he nudges things along a little, other people will take advantage of the opportunities and cause the changes he wishes to see. This pays off less well in the short term, but he believes that in the long term the results will benefit society more. Ted Kord is less his vector for ramming change through and more his showroom model; a way of demonstrating to other entrepreneurs what they could achieve.

This is because I am not Ayn Rand. I do not believe that if the author insert stopped doing their thing that everyone else would gormlessly wait for them to start again. If there is a vacuum of leadership then leaders will emerge.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  9. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

The obvious thing to do is to build a Luthor-bot, that is actually sane, and get him to run your business. So you can tell the difference between the two give him a full head of red hair, and a goatee beard.

There's no way that could go wrong. :)

Ardy, Cuchulin, Citizen and 4 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon also said that while he is a brilliant inventor and scientist he can also become easily distracted and is much more happier and productive working in a lab rather than attending business meetings unless it is to present some new invention.

OL needs to find someone that can focus on the business side of things while Ted works on the tech side.

Roulette seems like a good candidate if her work with Sybarite is any indication.

She is cunning, skilled, ruthless, and unlike Luthor who is possibly more of these things, she lacks his issues and is primarily interested in making money, and seeing as new advanced technologies seem to be hitting the market she could want to get into that pool to make herself rich.

OL can count on her to run the business, count on Ted to make new tech and he can make sure himself that they advance the planet

EDIT: I red your edit, but the problem with that is that some of those leaders than can emerge could do more harm then good in the long run.

Like say Vandal Savage, who apparently bought the rights to the Cosmic Converter technology and was sitting on them to spite his old foe in an act of petty revenge and is now releasing it.

This act, while it may improve society, is also giving the caveman more power. Power that he in his stupid caveman brain will most likely misuse in one of his crazy schemes that he is convinced is the height of his 'wisdom', thus harming society.

Though this isn't OL's fault as he doesn't know who really owns the rights to the tech and just thinks it is Stagg Industries that does, not knowing it is really Savage.

The same can happen with other leaders who may try to follow OL's method, but in a halfassed way than can easily harm society.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin, Chaoswind and 2 others like this.
  11. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Well I, for one, am very glad that particular controversy has been resolved.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Rebu and 11 others like this.
  12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sure, Savage gets a little more powerful, but everyone gets cheaper electricity. Things become possible which were formerly impossible due to their costs. Suppliers of gas and coal and oil become less powerful, and not... Wanting to break the modern politics ban, some of those aren't all that pleasant either. And actually, Savage becoming more powerful by doing things which actually benefit people might encourage him to use similar approaches in future; he's not bad because he's Savage, he's bad because of the bad things he does.

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He actually, in some continuities, has accumulated a lot of soft power. Is just that since he doesn't age, keeping it is complicated and his mayor desire is still to rule the world.

Thanks to Hypertime there is now a DC Earth were one of his time traveling plans was actually successful.

Thanks to Hypertime, there is now a DC Earth were Hall Jordan Parallax is the ruler and the other GLs are all dead, even Kyle.

Thanks to Hypertime, Superboy Prime is back home on an Earth that ignores what he did, since he went back in time and bankrupted DC Comics there.

And so on.

Xmaster3000, Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think you're being a bit too much optimistic there with the whole Savage becoming better thing, to the point that Saint Walker may consider telling you to ease up on the the hope for a bit.

Savage has been in his supervillain mindset phase for so long that I'm pretty sure he's going to fuck up the world no matter what.

I know that the Savage in that JL animated episode got his shit together, but that was only after he destroyed the world and it took him tens of thousands of years to get to that mindset.

Pinklestia likes this.
  16. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

At least, based on how often this happens, you are in a committed relationship.

When I was fucking confused, I was also fucking paranoid and, occasionally, fucking pissed!

Multiple-partner relationships can be a tricky thing.

17. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't get how many Jades there are. There's actual Jade, the Jade that exists a short bit in the her future his past then it sounds like there is another Jade?

Darko likes this.
  18. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

If you think that's bad, check out how many Johns there are.
    Are you saying that that result wasn't a bad result from someone's perspective‽

Bramble Thorn, Doccer, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

One of the Jades he mentioned in this update is Jade Yifei.

She's basically the Mandate universe version of Jade, Alan Scott's daughter from New Earth continuity.

She is the current green lantern on Mandate Earth, aside from Fang Zhifu, though I'm not sure if she is an actual member of the GL corps, or is just wielding the ring Alan Scott would have ended up with in the main universe.

Doccer, Cuchulin and david like this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It's been a while since you read the Mandate updates, I take it.

Mandate Paul is in a relationship with Mandate Jade Nguyen as Pauls tend to do.

He's also attracted the attention of the Mandate Earth equivalent of Jade Yifei, and they were dealing with both the regular issues of becoming a thruple but rank issues, since at the start of this Yifei outranks them both. Mandate Paul's promotion came later.

Wetbananas, Ngamer11, Doccer and 3 others like this.
  21. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Does Time Trapper Paul know about what Paragon did to Nabu?

I believe all the Pauls were taken at different points in their timelines, unless I'm mistaken, so I wonder if he had the time to spread the knowledge of the Mandated-Nabu's organizational network to the Earth-16 Pauls who are facing that issue (I also really wish they'd actually said something in canon about Atlanteans being incompatible with Nabu's magic or something, because that seems like such a gaping plot hole, in Kent Nelson's original search at the very least).

Ngamer11, Doccer and Darko like this.
  22. LordofTentacle

LordofTentacle Know what you're doing yet?

Are we going back to a regular orange lantern Paul now?

Darko likes this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He probably is aware of what happened to him if he has seen so many timelines.

Atlanteans are not incompatible with Nabu as shown when Kaldur wore the Helmet to fight Wotan.

The various versions of Earth 16 were probably taken sometime after the whole thing with Nabu happened so now it is either pointless, seeing as Nabu may be dead, or he has a host who he has a more symbiotic relationship with, like what may have happened in Common Sense universe Earth 16, or some of the versions of Paul don't care about that situation because they are not close to the Team and may not morally and ethically care about what Nabu is doing, like say for example Sybarite.

Common sense and Sybarite seem to be the only Paul's from Earth 16 that were shown aside from Paragon and Renegade.

One may have come to an arrangement with Nabu in finding a host and the other one probably doesn't care about what Nabu is doing and probably considers it the Leagues fault a bit for not finding him a host sooner.

24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Agreed, he technically got his wish and ended ruling the World because he was the last thinking being left.

Hence why he wanted to die and helped Superman.

DAT_NOOB and Darko like this.
  25. DrThoth

I actually forgot about Kaldur wearing the Helmet, which makes me even more frustrated. And it's literally been several years in-canon since Nabu took over Zatara and it's just a source of intermittent angst for Zatanna without anything being done about it (though common sense and logic really are the rarest of superpowers, so I mostly just turn off my brain when watching the later seasons of YJ now).

I also don't remember what happened with Nabu in the Common Sense-timeline, or if he was even brought up at all- Klarion isn't a problem there anymore, I believe, so things like Roanoake should never have happened (I wonder if Wotan was elevated into the Light as a replacement or something).

Darko likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There are two omakes that show what common sense would do with the Nabu thing.

Just check the omake index on the first page.

Xmaster3000 and DrThoth like this.
  27. DrThoth

I vaguely remember those and am reading them now, are they accepted as canon?

Edit: I finished reading them, and I assume not, especially given that the second post contradicts the first by killing Teekl and banishing Klarion in his first appearance (which is consistent with what Zoat said happened, I believe).

28. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Nekron is going to HATE that, more life, more multiverses, more annoying neighbors.

Vorian and Darko like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure.

Zoat seemed to like them, or at least find them acceptable to put into the omake list.

Also another potential storyline for the next episode could be OL interacting with the OLC more.

Zoat said he was going to talk to another Orange Lantern in the next episode so it could mean him interacting more with them and doing some work with them, aside from giving his report to Hinon.

Now I can't help but imagine Hinon bragging that one of her Lanterns that saved the multiverse to the other factions if she tells them what happened.

Chaoswind and DrThoth like this.
  30. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I can't imagine Hinon bragging.
    Should "time" be "times"?